Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Road goes ever on and on...? (PM First and see At the End of All Things OOC)
on: January 11, 2006 03:47
Glorfindel's world blurred into waking, and what a waking it was. The nightmarish landscape he had been so unceremoniously yanked from was replaced by one just as dark and foreboding. Familiar shapes warped by the essence of shadow which permeated their beings, leaving them in a horrific state to behold. At the centre of this vision lay a centre red, raw essence, throbbing slowly in shades, fixed on the elf.

For a moment conscious thought failed him, as the last vestiges of his latest dream slipped back beneath the surface of logic and reason. No sooner had he risen shaking and sweating out of his chair, he was back entirely in the bleak setting of a cottage room.

It was over for now...

"Gah," Glorfindel growled, smoothing his sweat drenched hair back over his head and out his eyes, whilst gazing intently into what had so recently given so much fear, "If only it were over, if only."

There was the book lying, as every night before, at his feet. In the same awkward position which told of one who has succumbed to the realms of sleep whilst intently studying a text. He fixed it with the same look of loathing and fear he always did, and ever present was the desire to hurl it into the heart of fire and watch with glee as it burned out of existence.

But he wouldn't, instead he merely sent it sliding under the opposite chair, with the same well placed chair. Arching slightly it skidded out of sight, and thus the ritual was ended. Until tomorrow night.

Rising slowly out of the chair he made his way over to washstand and emptied the entire jug over his head. Hair now yank and dripping Glorfindel raised his eyes to see the face of a broken elf, someone he bought so much pain and suffering to and those around him. Like his father had always said, if he could look that elf in the eyes, then, ah yes, then he would be able to get up and carry.

As ever, Glorfindel met the gaze of that elf, and so tomorrow would go on as ever.

A change of clothes.

Mop up the puddle on the fags.

Back to the chair, maybe that groove had finally established itself? However, by some cruel twist of fate Hiligan would ruin it. Such was life.

So once again Glorfindel retrieved the book, turned to that same page, to once again view his own script foretelling of that most feared events. For Glorfindel Ingold there was no greater proof in the words, 'A man may write it, but that does not mean he understands it.'

Time for change. Setting the text down, Glorfindel seized his cloak and made for the door. He could have told himself that night air would do him good, he could say he wanted a stroll. All he wanted was to be as far away from that book as possible.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: The Road goes ever on and on...? (PM First and see At the End of All Things OOC)
on: January 12, 2006 11:32
Rynwyn had been sleeping fitfully. For the first new nights since they'd arrived home- even though things had been in disarray- she'd slept deeply and restfully. Now, though, she would wake every hour or so, sigh to see that she was in the bed alone, occasionally glare at the light coming from under the bedroom door, then drift back into slumber.

When Glorfindel had snapped to wakefulness Ryn was already lying in bed with her eyes open wide, wishing that she could find a comfortable position to sleep in. She was at once aware that her husband had woken up when she heard the book skid across the floor. She listened as he spoke softly to himself and moved around, bitterly visualizing the volume that had been bothering the elf so badly. The young woman knew a little of what it said, but she didn't know how to read very well and she never bothered picking the text up. He never said much about it- in fact, he was lost in his own thoughts so often that it was becoming tiresome. Ryn was usually patient, but in her present condition that patience was growing thin... she didnt like having to compete with a book for her husband's attention, no matter what heavy subject that text contained.

As far as she was concerned it could go into the fire- but she hadn't dared to put it there herself. She had tried avoiding starting any fights- as she listened, though, to the soft noises that her love made in his stirring, she felt as though she could get rid of the accursed thing in that moment without any regrets.

Sighing, she sat up and got out of bed (slowly and with some difficulty since her belly was getting quite large) and grappled for her robe in the dark, then went and pulled the bedroom door open just in time to see Glorfindel throwing his cloak about his shoulders. Sighing again, she crossed the room and put one hand on the door before he could open it.

"Glorfindel," Ryn said, as she observed him with sleepy- yet concerned- eyes, "Won't you come to bed, love? It's so late..."

(hope this is alright for a first go- I'll bring Hiligan in when we get to daylight)
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Road goes ever on and on...? (PM First and see At the End of All Things OOC)
on: January 15, 2006 12:30

“What can I say that I haven’t said already Ryn?” Glorfindel looked to the floor; words almost inaudible muttered as though every one of them held great shame, “I’m sorry? Or will I simply tell you that it’s my duty? Too often have you heard of duty, far too often? I could say I’m scared, that the dreams are bothering me, but you already know that. I could try and kid you by saying it’s nothing, that it was, perhaps it all my hopes, just another dream? I could say I’ve had a hundred like it…and you’d know I’m right. There is always the chance of some story, another tale to show you I can handle it, but you never bought those.”

He moved slowly away from his wife, letting the cloak simply drop to the floor. Stepping down he scooped up the book, and held it up to eye level, where he scrutinised it.

“All you want to do is to ask me what I’m playing at? I said I was done with all of this, after my little show in Rivendell? You want me to be there, you want me back. You’re going to ask me, why ever since I came back I’ve been so distant? Well…”

He made to toss it into the grate, to let it frazzle out of existence, as if it would take all his fears and hers away too. Fat chance, the book held a deeper meaning, something far too important to throw out.

“The passage Ailia found,” Glorfindel muttered, still not meeting Ryn’s eyes, “I wrote it, after a dream…about five thousand years ago. I wrote it, the dream…it was about Ailia….or at least she was there….so were others, some I knew others I didn’t…Erestor, Samen, Brenna, Amarie, Narya, you. I only knew Ailia and Erestor at that time, so I thought little of the others, but since then I have met every single person from that dream. They are ALL here now, in this village.”

His voice was beginning to tremble and hands shaking.

“A voice, someone calling out that passage, over and over. Darkness everywhere, the very ground moving beneath my feet. The sky seemed to swell and swarm with black and night suddenly dropped onto the world. Everything was gone, you were gone. I was alone in that…mass, nothing but me. The End of All Things, it seems so simple now, it does exact what it says. Ends all Things.”
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 01:17
The same night held hardly any terror for Erestor and Amarie , at least for the moment, as they sat together a distance from the small village inn where they were currently staying amid the preparations for Samen and Brenna's impending marriage. They had had a lot of mements like these in the past weeks, especially since their arrival at Glorfindel and Ryn's village. Glorfindel and Ryn were busy settling back in to their old lives, picking up the threads, Samen and Brenna were keeping the human population very busy, and Lante, having located some friends from Gondor, was doing some catching up of her own.

The darkness was quiet and soothing, punctuated with only the faintest rustle of a cool wind through the surrounding foilage, and where Erestor was not overly given to intimate speech, Amarie had no desire to break the comfortable, peaceful silence. Indeed, there was hardly anything that needed to be said, for now; any fleeting thought passing over an otherwise serene face could easily be read by the other, so long they had been together.

Now and then a small, almost secretive smile would be exchanged between the two - enigmatic, fleeting, and totally unreadable by an outsider.

~*~

Ithil's silver light shone less favourably on Erestor's adoptive daughter Lante. She had ensconced herself on the windowsill of the room she now occupied, drawing her knees up under the thin linen nightdress and wrapping her arms around them. From the vantage point she could see her father and Amarie seated side by side in the silvered shadow of a gnarled old tree, saying nothing, but if Erestor's body language was anything to go by he was definitely very content, if not in an unusually good mood.

She had to admit to herself she'd gotten somewhat used to their deepening relationship on the long journey from Rivendell back to Rohan, but that still did not stop the little bits of resentment from making themselves heard once more, quite loudly. There was jealousy too, a little green imp pulling faces at her and jabbing its finger at the distant pair, or more accurately, at Amarie specifically. Even though she had grown accustomed to the halfelven's constant presence around the elf she had some to think of as Adar did not mean she enjoyed it. But for Erestor's sake she had conditioned herself to keep quiet and be at least amiable to Amarie, and to save her sulking for when she was alone.

Like now.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 06:19
Amarie had learned to enjoy the comfortable, peaceful silence she could have when she was together with Erestor. Gone where the days when she had been so unsure of his love that a silence which lasted too long disturbed her. They had come a long way since they had left Rivendell. And even Lante seemed peaceful nowadays. This was a silence though Amarie did not trust, she knew Lante well enough to know that she had not won that this was at best a fragile truce.

Amarie sighed, deeply drawing in the night air. She felt better now. Lately she had been sick a lot. The long journey, the travel food and now the food of Rohan, different to what she was used to were obviously not agreeing with her stomach. Of course she had tried her usual herbs, brewed tea, smelled oil... but nothing had helped so far. Slowly but surely a new diagnosis came into her mind - something she had not thought of before. She could not help but smile to herself.

Her thoughts wondered off, thinking about Samen and Brenna and their upcoming wedding, the main cause for their stay in Rohan and about Ryn, whose pregnancy was obviously progressing - she wanted to be there when the child was born and help Ryn in every way she could. It had been long since she had assisted the birth of a child, but she still remembered everything necessary. The main work lay with the mother anyway.

Why she wondered did she keep on pondering the same subject - marriage, pregnancy, babies...Her mind had been full of it the past days - she was indeed growing soft under Erestor's watchful care.
Slowly she turned towards Erestor. "I am rather tired," she started ,"I think I will go to bed - it has been a long day..." She rose, taking Erestor's hand and giving it a soft squeeze before getting up and walking back into the inn and to their room. She had learned indeed - learned that Erestor needed to be the one to take the initiative when intimacies were concerned...

When she finally lay in the bed they shared, she closed her eyes and fell asleep almost immediately. She had not known how tired she had really been.

Soon the dreams came. Erestor was smiling down at her - he was obviously proud. She was lying in bed, exhausted but happy and next to her....

Amarie woke with a start. Sweating as if she had awoken from a nightmare. She noticed Erestor, who had come in while she had been sleeping. He was awake now, too and staring at her...
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 05:54
Dark caves under Edoras, a hidden hole in a raised hiding place, protected by broken glass, stained with poision and the blood of... someone.

She carefully removes the glass, and then a bag filled with old money, taking out the second bag behind it.

She jumps down from the hole, a purse of money in her haversack, a new belt around her waist and a old knife sheathed on it, leaving behind only darkness and glittering shardes.

But then the dream changes, and two men appear out of the gloom. The familiar figure of Samen, tall and dark haired. She moves to him, but before she can reach another is there in front of her, blocking her. Another tall man, with bright blonde hair that covers his face, dressed in reds and greens, carrying himself with a proud height. There's a wound on his side, matching one of the scars on her hips, and his hands are blood stained.

She turns to run, but he follows her, down the caves.

"You are no longer one of us!" He laughs as he gracefully chases after her, his breathing not even slightly changed. "When did you learn to feel? Don't worry, I never changed. I'll find you. And when I do - you'll pay."

Suddenly, she trips, as he did before, and then he is there, stradling her, his knife at her throat.

Brenna suddenly sat upright, panting slightly in the half light. Searching eyes found Samen beside her, and she closed her eyes as she tried to calm herself.

//What have I done...?//
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 04:26
The bed creaked when Brenna woke up and Samen, being a light sleeper did too. It took him a moment to remember where he was bed he did soon enough. They had been in Rohan several days now and he still wasn't used to it. Things had been hectic, planning for the wedding. But he wasn't worry about that now, his bride to be was sitting upright in bed.

He sat up to and wrapped his arms around her chest, holding her tight, and kissed her shoulder tenderly. She was trembling.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly. "Did you have a bad dream?"

[Edited on 1/17/2006 by Walkers_Shade]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 12:48
He watched as Amarie made back for the inn, and returned to his inner musings. There was something that had been worrying him slightly of late. Glorfindel hadn’t been quite… himself. He had been avoiding everyone all through the long ride from Imladris, even Ryn; insisting on bringing *that* book, he’d stared at it for hours each night after they had settled down. It bordered on obsession, not the raving maniac kind, but rather desperate, fearful and even quietly frustrated. No, it wasn’t like the Glorfindel Erestor had known to get so worked up over a short piece of text, but the other elf just seemed not quite right these days. Not since their little misadventure, still fresh in Erestor’s memory. And particularly not since Ailia had dug out that accursed book from the dustiest shelves in Rivendell’s extensive library. Raising his eyes to look over the idyllic little village spread before him, he located the distant shadow of Glorfindel’s home. True to suspicion, there was a small, quavering light in the window. It seemed it wasn’t only Erestor and Amarie having a late night. Or rather, a very early morning.

Speaking of which, Amarie, on the other hand, had gone in almost the opposite direction. *She* definitely had something to be particularly happy about, though she was doing a pretty good job of keeping it to herself at the moment. Erestor had decided not to pursue the subject, trusting she would tell him when he needed to know, if ever. But he had a strong suspicion he knew what it had to do with. Erestor was glad for the cover of darkness that hid the flush creeping up his face at the memory, and even more glad that nobody else knew what that treacherous little memory was all about.

Tucking the thought away into the darkest recesses of his mind, he rose, and started once more up the pebbled path leading back to the inn.

Amarie was already abed and deeply asleep, by the look of it, by the time he entered their shared rooms. He washed and changed quietly, and, picking up the reading material he had brought himself – nothing as sordid as Glofindel’s aggravating tome – settled into the cushioned chair by the open window where a reading lamp already stood. He’d made it a habit quite early on in life to read awhile before going to bed, and he wasn’t going to break that ingrained pattern anytime soon; he’d even managed to stick to it while on the road. It took another twenty or so pages of a lengthy account on the final days of doomed Beleriand before sleep claimed him too.

It didn’t last long. He drifted back out of a fitful slumber, made all the more uncomfortable by the hard chair, which, although he had done his best to cushion it, was still terribly poky to someone who had been very accustomed indeed to the deep armchairs in Rivendell. After all he *had* been using them for literally thousands of years. In the distance of his sleep-blurred vision, Amarie turned over, then came awake with a start, almost as if she’d had a nightmare. He blinked the haze from his eyes as Amarie’s met them, and he saw they were wide – with fear? With shock? Beads of perspiration stood out on her white forehead, her breathing was fast and shallow. Marking the page and closing the book, he went over to her.

“What is it?”
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 03:29
"What is it?" Eresor's gentle voice rang in her head for a moment. It was not long before she was herself again. Her breathing went back to normal and the sweat vanished from her forehead.

"I have not been feeling well," she started slowly, observing Erestor's face closely. "You remember that I did not take kindly to food the past days...," she stopped for a moment, sighed and wet her lips. "I have tried all the herb remedies I know and well, it has not improved, I'm still sick a lot and that is why I have been thinking there might be another cause for it."

Again she paused, looking into Erestor's questioning eyes. "And the dream I just had," she continued," has brought the last bit of certainty for a diagnosis, which I have believed almost certain for a couple of days."

Once more she paused, this time a little longer, then began to smile widely. She took Erestor's hands in hers and looked deep into his eyes.

"Erestor," she said, "You are going to be a father. I am pregnant."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 07:50
“The passage Ailia found,” Glorfindel muttered, still not meeting Ryn’s eyes, “I wrote it, after a dream…about five thousand years ago. I wrote it, the dream…it was about Ailia….or at least she was there….so were others, some I knew others I didn’t…Erestor, Samen, Brenna, Amarie, Narya, you. I only knew Ailia and Erestor at that time, so I thought little of the others, but since then I have met every single person from that dream. They are ALL here now, in this village.”

His voice was beginning to tremble and hands shaking.

“A voice, someone calling out that passage, over and over. Darkness everywhere, the very ground moving beneath my feet. The sky seemed to swell and swarm with black and night suddenly dropped onto the world. Everything was gone, you were gone. I was alone in that…mass, nothing but me. The End of All Things, it seems so simple now, it does exact what it says. Ends all Things.”

Ryn grabbed his hands and held them tightly, trying to get him to meet her gaze.
“I don’t know what it all means, but I do know that fretting and worrying about it isn’t going to do a bit of good… Maybe they’re just nightmares, or maybe they don’t mean what you think they do… Even I was raised to know that there will be a great ending, an ‘end of all things’ as you put it- but obsessing over it isn’t going to stop it from happening! All I think we can do is enjoy what time we have, make the most of it, and let things run their course.”

Her grip tightened and she released one hand so she could caress his cheek.

“Have you even noticed how I’ve felt the last few weeks? I’ve been sick and miserable, and I’ve had to look to others for comfort because you’ve been so distraught over this accursed book of yours! I know you’re scared, Glorfindel… everyone can see it, even the neighbors who don’t care a spit about us, It’s written all over your face. I don’t have any wise words to offer you comfort- all I can do is tell you I love you and hope you know how true that is- but end of all things or not, we’ve got a baby on the way, and that’s all I can really be scared about right now.”

Rynwyn sighed and wrapped him in a hug before he could escape, wishing sorely that she really could ease his worry- but she had her own problems, and she desperately needed him now…

“I am scared. Scared of the birth itself, scared that something will be wrong with our child, scared that I won’t be a suitable mother… I know that the other women in the village look down on me for marrying you, and some even more so for carrying your child! A ‘half-breed’, I’ve heard them say behind my back… and I don't care a bit what they think of me- they could curse me and spit at the ground I walk on as far as I'm concerned, and it won't make a bit of difference because I'm in *no* way ashamed... but I don’t want our son to grow up being ridiculed by his own neighbors! That scares me too… and here I am worried about you, and all this amidst plans for Brenna’s wedding! I’m no philosopher, and I can’t help you with your ‘passage’ … but I am your wife, and I love you and need you with me now, Glorfindel-- now more than ever.”

She sighed and looked up at him, her eyes shining with the tears that had been coming too often lately.

[Edited on 18/1/2006 by dreamdancer]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 12:49
It took awhile for the new reality to sink in. Erestor was frozen in shock as Amarie’s words played over and over in his head, almost as if dozens of little voices were trying out the sound of it to see which way the message would properly get through. Yes, he had known Amarie hadn’t been all that well lately, but it hadn’t seemed serious and Amarie had assured him it was nothing she couldn’t handle, so he had let the matter be, assuming that half-elves could probably have inherited some measure of the ability to get sick from their mortal side, though the elven side would be able to balance it out, so to speak. But this, this was totally and absolutely unexpected.

Well alright. Maybe not all that unexpected, to a minutely small extent, but this had definitely come as a surprise.

“I *did* just hear you say that, didn’t I?” his voice came out barely a whisper. He sat down harder than necessary on the bed, next to Amarie, a frown creasing his brow as he considered the implications. For once, they were entirely good, at least for now. He fought to contain the slow smile spreading over his face. “That’s… that’s wonderful…”

Then the bubble burst as another thought entered his head in the form of a speeding arrow, shattering just about everything in its path.

“But… how are we going to break it to Lante?”
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 05:55
Glorfindel seized Ryn in tight embrace, so that she might be spared to sight of the tears streaming down his face. He was her rock, and so he would remain.

"Is that what you think of me?" he whispered horsely, gasping between every sob, "That I have a 'passage,' a 'destiny' to complete. You have always been my number one priority, you are my very reason for living. I would sooner die before letting anything happen to you, I nearly did. Now you must realise that I will never ever leave you. Narrow minded murmurings are but mere speaks compared to you're never yielding beauty. You are the blazing stars set in the heavens, above all the mist and fog lying in low dark hollows. You are worth a million of those fools.'
'For that reason I swear to you that I will never stop until I know what this means, that dream is not some wild rambling of fantasy. It is a plot, a warning, they'll be coming to take everything that I have and hold dear. I am here Ryn, I might have left you once, but I am not going to do that again. Not again, from now on we're together or not at all."
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 10:56
Brenna hesitated for a moment when she felt Samen's arms snake around her, but then leant back against him, closing her eyes and letting her senses breath in the comfort that came from just being close to him.

"It's nothing." She said, gently pushing him back to the bed and curling up against him again, and smiling slightly. "It's already fading." And that was true enough.

But for some reason, even after the fear left, the image of Cuan remained. Why? He was probably dead anyway, he was stupid enough to be.

Brenna sighed. She'd probably end up talking to someone about it eventually, but right now, no one needed her own worries on top of everything else. Samen had the wedding, and Rynwyn, the baby. Erestor and Amarie had each other, and Glorfindel was slowly but surely going... strange, and she couldn't even get him to talk to her. So, for now, she'd stay silent as usual.

"Just go back to sleep, my love." She whispered to Samen. "It's nothing to worry about."
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 07:05
Samen remembered a few things from his days as a Blue Flame, the tatoo kept reminding him, and he knew Brenna was lying. There were things about her past that he didn't know, things he felt he had a right to know.

He sighed and laid back down beside her again. She rested her head on his chest and went to sleep, Samen looked down ate her cute slender sleeping form and smiled. He didn't think she'd used a pillow since they had stopped Angelus. He shut his eyes and let sleep take him over again, it was still hours to dawn, he'd ask her about things tomorrow. He quickly fell into a dreamless sleep.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 07:04
For a short while Amarie was just purely and simply happy. She had been a little afraid of Erestor's reaction, but seeing he took it so well and did look forward to their baby she was just purely happy. But then he voiced the question which had been weighing on her mind, too.
“But… how are we going to break it to Lante?”

Lante. Amarie and Erestor's adoptive daugher had a kind of fragile truce at the moment. They went on tiptoe around each other and there was no telling when one of the two would explode one way or the other and the news about Amarie's pregnancy would just shatter her world and that would trigger the explosion Amarie so dreaded.

She looked at Erestor, curious whether the diplomat had a solution to their problem. But she only found Erestor deep in thought. "Let us not worry too much about it until the morning," she said," We can't do anything right now, anyway and tomorrow is soon enough. Seeing as she reacts to me, it should probably be you who gives her the news - at least she will not want to do anything to you..." She kissed Erestor, then continued, "We should try and get some sleep."

But sleep did not come easy during this long night. Amarie lay awake, thinking out a thousand ways on how to tell Lante and envisioning her reactions. It always ended in a fight - or in a catastrophe like Amarie losing the child.

So it was no wonder that Amarie got up in a rather foul mood, also since she had had morning sickness again. Nonetheless she was up and dressed by the time Erestor awoke, waiting for his decision.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 09:52
Glorfindel seized Ryn in tight embrace, so that she might be spared to sight of the tears streaming down his face. He was her rock, and so he would remain.

"Is that what you think of me?" he whispered horsely, gasping between every sob, "That I have a 'passage,' a 'destiny' to complete. You have always been my number one priority, you are my very reason for living. I would sooner die before letting anything happen to you, I nearly did. Now you must realise that I will never ever leave you. Narrow minded murmurings are but mere speaks compared to you're never yielding beauty. You are the blazing stars set in the heavens, above all the mist and fog lying in low dark hollows. You are worth a million of those fools.'
'For that reason I swear to you that I will never stop until I know what this means, that dream is not some wild rambling of fantasy. It is a plot, a warning, they'll be coming to take everything that I have and hold dear. I am here Ryn, I might have left you once, but I am not going to do that again. Not again, from now on we're together or not at all."

Ryn returned the embrace (as well as she could with her stomach in the way) but didn’t say anything in reply…. He spoke of never stopping until he understood his dark dreams and the words in the book- but that was what she didn’t want him to do. He promised not to leave her… and she knew he wouldn’t… but having him in the same house, or even in the same room while his thoughts were elsewhere was almost as bad as his going off by himself into the wild. The mother-to-be didn’t want to think of ‘them’ coming to do whatever it was Glorfindel said they wanted to… she had enough to worry about. So, smiling, she pulled back and looked up at him, wiping away his tears and tugging at his shirt sleeve.
“Then come to bed, love… try not to think about any of this anymore, at least until daylight. Nighttime is dark enough without thinking of dark things…”

So it was that for at least one night out of the many since they’d gotten back to Rohan that Rynwyn convinced Glorfindel to actually stay home and try to get some sleep. She was painfully aware that he was lying awake beside her as she drifted into slumber, no longer able to keep herself alert- and she scooted close, hoping that her nearness would give him enough comfort to let him rest.

It was early morning when Rynwyn woke, feeling completely miserable and short of temper. The sun had not even brightened the sky, and her husband’s gentle breathing told her that he had finally fallen asleep- though how long or short a time ago she couldn’t guess. She was aching and feeling sick and didn’t want to even move, much less actually get out of bed and get dressed. She knew the feeling would pass (hopefully) as it had been doing, but that it would most likely return. With a soft curse she decided to stay where she was, and it wasn’t until Glorfindel stirred that she got up, demanding that he rub her aching back then apologizing for acting so terrible and beginning to feel depressed over that.

It was later in the morning with a knock came at the door, and Hiligan pushed it open a bit and looked in.
“Can I come in?” he called, and entered at a ‘Yes” from his sister. He was carrying a covered basket which he set on the table, then looked in the living room.
“Good morning, to both of you. I brought some breakfast,” he said, “Mother sent it over with me.”
“Oh, please don’t mention breakfast,” Ryn said, closing her eyes and gesturing at the kitchen with a sour expression on her face, “Glorfindel, go eat something, but please keep it in there.”

Hiligan grinned in sympathy and turned to the elf.
“It’s getting cold… I’ll eat with you, Glorfindel. I havn’t had anything yet.”

(blah, I’m writing at 3 am so sorry if its meh. I guess all our characters need to get together at some point. Any ideas?)
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 01:31
The rest of the night passed in a fitful slumber, and through the haziness of half-sleep Erestor was aware that Amarie, too, was awake. He wanted to reassure her that things would turn out fine – Lante had certainly been at least decent to Amarie these few weeks – but he knew, intuitively, this was probably not the case. Lante was good at hiding her true feelings. He had seen her laugh and joke with the same person whom just last night she had complained so venomously about in private, and he had learned to read all the little signs that the crisis wasn’t quite over yet, and things had just come to a temporary ceasefire.

He knew it was morning when he felt Amarie rise and head for the small privy, followed by the sounds of the wooden door shutting and the lock being turned. He rose, too, but the restless night had not presented any solution to their little problem, nor could he see one coming their way any time soon. Amarie returned, her expression hopeful and expectant, and still he was at a total loss.

Erestor shook his head in resignation.

“I’m afraid I can’t think of many viable alternatives but to tell her outright and hope for the best… But perhaps if we left things alone for awhile, told her a little later, maybe you could get closer to her first… I know that’s a bit like asking you to walk headfirst over a cliff, but if it’s always me doing the relaying between you two she’ll just think you’re avoiding her. Look, I can say I’m going to try and help Glorfindel with his infuriating book problem and would you two mind very much if you helped Brenna with her wedding preparations; I mean, you did have to interact with each other over the journey and I think Lante is fine with Brenna at least so… If you had something of a neutral third party in common and something to do…”

[OOC: Bwahahahh the escapist approach. Erestor’s reaching the end of his tether, and he’s getting annoyed *and* desperate. *evil grin*]
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 11:40
Even thought it was late at night, Narya was wandering through the village, her thoughts far away. She had not settled down in this new setting, and she was beginning to doubt if she ever would.

It had been a hard decision to leave Elladan behind, and she knew that she would deeply regret it later on in her life, but there had not been much time to think about it, as they had taken off so suddenly. And now it was too late...

She sighed, and forced her mind away from Rivendell. She sat down at the edge of the settlement, feeling more lonely than she ever had before, and watched the sun rise on another day....another day exactly the same....another day with no point at all.......
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2006 12:07
Elemak was up with the sun. He was wearing black pants and a dark blue sleeveless shirt. He was outside the house doing a kata that his father had taught him. A kata was a set pattern of hand to hand combat moves. It was designed for fighting a group of enemies but it was very unlikely for your enmies to attack you in the specific pattern but it was a good way to get a sweat going. By the time he was done he was drenched in sweat and glistening in the early dawn. He stripped off his shirt and donned a green one. He watched the sun for a while and decided to pay a visit to Samen. He remembered Samen saying he wanted him to be the ringbearer in the wedding.

Samen was up with the sun as well. Brenna was not awake yet so he satyed in bed until she too awoke. He greeted her with a kiss.

"Good morning my love."

"Good moring Samen." she smiled back. She hopped out of bed and got dressed. Samen followed suite with his usual black ensemble.

"So," said Brenna. "You went with the dark colors today?" Samen laughed.

"When we get married," she continued. "You're not going to get away without wearing some color now and again."

"We'll see," he said with a smile. He then got serious. "I'm going to have to know you realize," he said. "About your past, about the time you and Glorfindel first met. You never told me the whole story."
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 01:44
Brenna woke later than usual, and stirred lazily, feeling Samen's gaze on her. Finally, she opened her eyes and looked up at him, to be greeted with a soft kiss, which she returned eagerly.

"Good morning my love."

"Good moring Samen."

Brenna was reluctant to leave their warm nest, but none-the-less, pushed herself up and wandered over to the cupboard in the corner of the room, pulling out a simple green dress. Washing her face and hands in the bowl on the windowshelf, she pulled the dress over her head to see Samen pulling on his usual black attire.

"So, you went with the dark colours today?" Brenna smiled at Samen when he laughed, going to him and snaking her arms around his waist. "When we get married," she continued. "You're not going to get away without wearing some colour now and again."

"We'll see," he said with a smile. He then got serious. "I'm going to have to know you realize," he said. "About your past, about the time you and Glorfindel first met. You never told me the whole story."

Brenna frowned slightly when he said that, before sighing deeply and pulling away, going to the window and looking out. "It's not something I'm particually proud of, love." She said softly. "But you're right, and I won't hide it from you." Brenna added, slowly, turning to face him again. She closed her eyes for a moment, and sighed again. "Can I ask you to wait until tonight, though?" Brenna added, opening her eyes and looking at him pleadingly. "Please...?"

[Edited on 25/1/2006 by purplefluffychainsaw]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2006 10:55
"Of course I can," answered Samen. "But you don't have to be ashamed of anything. You tried to kill me and I've forgiven you and me..." He unconsciously rubbed his tatoo. "It's hard enough being back in Rohan."

"Samen," said Brenna sitting down and taking his hands. "No one remembers any of that."

"Only because I killed anyone who would." he answered. He shut his eyes and took several deep breaths. "But I've changed, we both have so let's put that behind us and start moving forward."

"Good." answered Brenna. She laid breakfast on the table, bacon and eggs, and they began to eat.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2006 08:52
Erestor shook his head in resignation.

“I’m afraid I can’t think of many viable alternatives but to tell her outright and hope for the best… But perhaps if we left things alone for awhile, told her a little later, maybe you could get closer to her first… I know that’s a bit like asking you to walk headfirst over a cliff, but if it’s always me doing the relaying between you two she’ll just think you’re avoiding her. Look, I can say I’m going to try and help Glorfindel with his infuriating book problem and would you two mind very much if you helped Brenna with her wedding preparations; I mean, you did have to interact with each other over the journey and I think Lante is fine with Brenna at least so… If you had something of a neutral third party in common and something to do…”

Amarie could only stare at Erestor. "You know what you are asking?," she said, looking straight into Erestor's eyes. "Lante has only been civil to me to please you- but she won't let me anywhere closer than she can avoid...." Amarie sighed, trying to calm the nausea in her stomach and got out of her nightgown. She noticed Erestor's eyes on her body, and had to smile despite her worries. Then she pulled on a clean dress and turned back to Erestor. "I'll try a'maelamin, but I say this is probably a hopeless endeavor - no matter what we do. And I will not waste my time on a fight with her. So if she becomes disagreeable, I'll just walk away and she'll be all yours..."

At this point Amarie had to run again. She hated this part of being pregnant. Ryn had never mentioned it. Of course, Amarie, being a healer knew all the technical things about pregnancy, but being pregnant yourself she had to admit was entirely different. She somehow wanted to talk to Ryn more than she wanted to talk to Lante or Brenna, but she knew how much Lante meant to Erestor and so she gave in.

As she waited for Erestor to get ready, there was a faint knock at the door and when Amarie had opened it, Lante came into the room. "Good morning Lante," she said in the sweetest and most cheerful way possible, "Your father is just getting ready, he'll be along in a minute. Please, sit." she continued, indicating the two chairs in the room. When Lante had taken a seat, Amarie continued in her strife to be cheerful and conversational...."Did you have a good night's rest? Is your room decent? What are your plans for today? I thought, Brenna might need help with the wedding preparations...."

There, it was out. Now she could only hope for the best. When Erestor returned she gave him a very sweet and loving kiss, whispering in his ear "You owe me!", then turned back to Lante.
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 11:05
“Ah yes,” Glorfindel muttered snatching the basket off Hiligan and striding into the kitchen with it, “I must confess this takes me right back to my army days, accept the bread was actually edible then…”

Sending the basket skidding across the table, and it is flew off the far side and hurtled towards the floor. It would have split everywhere if it hadn’t been for a slender hand which suddenly flew out and caught the basket in mid-air. Ailia stepped up; holding the basket on her left arm, for now she paid no attention to Hiligan, but merely strode around the table slammed the basket down next to Glorfindel.

“Look at yourself,” she hissed, “Look, Glorfindel.”

The elf raised his head slightly. It was now Hiligan saw the change in him. Eyes were merely darkened hollows, sunken in his skull, his face pale and drawn. Never had Hiligan seen the elf look like this, haggard, fatigued, his face showing the toll of every last one of his 6,000 years.

Ailia thrust a mirror forth, her expression said it all. Utter contempt was written across her face, but something else behind that. In the very depths of her eyes lay fear, terrible, terrible fear. For Ailia Ingold had seen this once before, and knew all too well what it could mean. Glorfindel was utterly defeated, he had given up. The odds of adversity were so gargantuan he knew that was no way to come out on top. If he’d given up, then only the foolish and the deluded hung on.

Ailia knew these were guiding the group now; Samen’s words back in Rivendell had struck a cord with her. It may have seemed to have been a man rallying his troops, calling them to arms, but all that blind words would merely lead to….

“Glorfindel, we need you,” she whispered again, “You’re a mess, and you’re weak…”

The mirror suddenly shot out of her hand, and shattered on the stone flags below.

“I know what I am. I know what I have done to myself, and I know the dangers. If you Ailia Ingold wish to know all, then you are more foolish than I suspected. As for Hiligan, look at me, I fail to even comfort my wife in her time of need. For all the good I have done since I returned from the sea, then I should have drowned. In fact it would have been a release; I have been disgraced by my dear friend, called a coward because I sought to do what I believed right. Samen has challenged me, after all he has done, and the slave dares to continue his preaching? Well let the fool carry on with pointless words and let him take Brenna to death with him. All those who follow will meet a pointless end. I know, I have seen and I will be in my cold, cold grave before I am subjected to the proclamations of that pious mortal.”

“Very well,” Ailia backed off, eyes welling up with tears, “If that is all you have to say on the matter.”

“It is.”

“Then I am done with you, brother.”

“So be it, be gone.”

"So that's it then?" Ailia's voice sudden rose to a scream, a wail of pure despair, "YOU CAN'T JUST SIT THERE! DO SOMETHING! TALK! BLINK! GIVE ME SOME SORT OF SIGN THAT YOU ARE THE ELF I KNOW AND LOVE!"

Very, very slowly Glorfindel got to his feet. He turned to face his younger sister, his eyes locked straight onto her face. They were narrowed in pure rage.

"In case you didn't know I died along time ago," his voice, so quiet that it barely even resgistered and yet the tone was such that it carried all over the house, even to those beyond, it seemed to pierce deeper than any knife or wound.

Every last one of his friends hearts. No matter where they were they were suddenly overtwhelmed by such despair, fear and sadness. Glorfindel was in utter defeat.

Without another word he strode past Ailia, flung the door awide and was gone into the crisp morning air.

[Edited on 30/1/2006 by LoremasterMiar]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 07:35
[OOC: Sorry - this is going to be a crap post. It's chinese new year, the relatives are all over, and I don't have much time before my mum starts accusing me of anti-socialness.]

Amarie could only stare at Erestor. "You know what you are asking?," she said, looking straight into Erestor's eyes. "Lante has only been civil to me to please you- but she won't let me anywhere closer than she can avoid...." Amarie sighed, trying to calm the nausea in her stomach and got out of her nightgown. She noticed Erestor's eyes on her body, and had to smile despite her worries. Then she pulled on a clean dress and turned back to Erestor. "I'll try a'maelamin, but I say this is probably a hopeless endeavor - no matter what we do. And I will not waste my time on a fight with her. So if she becomes disagreeable, I'll just walk away and she'll be all yours..."

Then Amarie made a break for the toilet again. Erestor sighed and tried not to look. Amarie's cassandraic warning did not bode well, and somehow, he had the shrewd suspicion she was right, and yet... she was asking him to choose between herself and Lante, and that was nigh impossible. And he was fast running out of options. Normally the more rational part of him would have balked at leaving Amarie and Lante together in close proximity when he wasn't around, but there was not much else he could think of, and not much else he had not tried yet.

~*~

Lante made her way almost cautiously down the corridor to Erestor and Amarie's room, and knocked. The redhead opened the door.

"Good morning Lante," she said in the sweetest and most cheerful way possible, "Your father is just getting ready, he'll be along in a minute. Please, sit." she continued, indicating the two chairs in the room. When Lante had taken a seat, Amarie continued in her strife to be cheerful and conversational...."Did you have a good night's rest? Is your room decent? What are your plans for today? I thought, Brenna might need help with the wedding preparations...."

She was, for lack of a better word, stunned for a moment. Since when was Amarie so.. cheery with her? But then Erestor reemerged from the privy, saw her there, and gave her an almost pleading Look, one that said "Alright. We're all running out of patience. Please will you try to behave?", and she understood what was going on.

//Fine!// Lante hadn't realised Erestor was getting so strained with the whole business, but it showed now, and not for the first time she felt a twinge of guilt. She managed a slight smile.

"Well, now that you come to mention it, I didn't have many plans for today, so why not? I think Brenna's been quite busy lately anyway."

~*~

Erestor felt some of the tension leave the room. At least things didn't look like they were going to pear-shaped in a hurry *yet*. Then Amarie turned to him, kissed him, and whispered in his ear "You owe me!"

"I know," he whispered back. "Thank you, meleth-nin."

He hoped the gratefulness in his words was not lost on Amarie as she turned back to Lante.

"So." the girl said, still quite awkwardly. "Shall we... breakfast, and then seek out Brenna...?"
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 31, 2006 07:25
((Spelling and grammar has gone down the drain. Sorreh.))

Brenna smiled as she sat down at the table, opposite Samen, a plate with noticably less on it. She'd never really regained her appatite since she'd managed to get rid of the poison that Krev had used on her. Nibbling on her breakfast, she watched Samen thoughtfully. He'd offered her so much without even knowing that he'd done so. In a way, *he'd* been her redemption.

With a slight smile on her lips, she rose, dumping her plate in the sink and washing her hands before starting to kneed bread dough. "What will you do today?" She asked him as she worked. Cooking was the one "housewife-y" thing that she'd found she was able to do: cleaning wasn't really something that she was particually good at. "You could go and try and talk to Glorfindel." She causually hinted. "Although, try not to argue with him, please."
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 03:03
Samen cleared away his plate and sighed.

"Brenna," he said, exasperated. He had tried talking to Glorfindel several times but the Elf wouldn't listen. He had tried apologizing also but Glorfindel wouldn't hear it. "I've tried talking to him, he doesn't want to listen to me."

"I'm sure if you went back and tried again="

"Brenna! I'm not going to talk to him, not until I have to ask him if he'll still be my best man alright?" he sighed. "Besides I have to talk with Elemak today."

"Are you going to tell him?" she asked. She knew about Elemak's parentage.

"Sarac told me that if he wasn't around then I ws to."

At that moment Elemak came in.

"Elemak!" greeted Samen. Headmired the boy, he was an exacty copy of his father but he had his mother's hair and eyes.

"You wanted to see me?" he asked.

"Yes," said Samen leading him outside. He called back to Brenna. "I'll be back in a bit."

The two went walking for a while until Samen turned Elemak around to face him. He knelt down beside the Elf.

"Elemak," he began. "I have to tell you something about... well about your mother." This caught Elemak's interest.

"What is it?"
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2006 10:38
A chill wind leapt down from the slopes of the White Mountains and smote the hills of the valley, where up in roaring down the slopes into every hollow and nook below. The long, yellow grass was forced flat to the ground by the gale, their feeble roots barely clinging on the earth which sustained them. The gables of the low thatched cottages quacked and groaned under the power of this mighty gust, and the horses all huddled close together, in some vain effort to elude the biting wind. Likewise, the residents all followed suit, those few who went about their daily routines were wrapped tightly in cloaks or stood clustered in small knots or pressed closely around burning braziers in relieve the numbing sensation which spread through their fingers into their very bones.

One figure alone did not conform to this enforced pattern, brought on by the drastic change in late autumn weather. He moved across the from one of the furthest dwellings, one over looking a small brook, on a slight raise looking west, so that on fine clear mornings such as this the golden rays of the sun would leap open it’s structure and send up the signal of the advancing radiance of dawn. Such as it was this morning, the villagers found no comfort in those feeble and pale emissions of that far set lantern of the Valar, for this figure brought with him a terrible roar with the southern gale and all around shrank away for it seemed that the wind howled with fury, even as this figure was clearly set on by it.

Thus Glorfindel Ingold trod the all too familiar path through this ever watchful circle of gossiping surfs. Such as it was every time he made such a move, the hissings and murmurs would run like a babbling brook down the valley after him, with suspicion and resentment caught in the current. Always would Glorfindel move on, for he would always catch the murmurs of ‘spectre’ and ‘magic,’ such words he was all too used to. It merely embodied the sheer ignorance of the bulk of Men, but then came the whispers about ‘the sorceress,’ ‘carrier of the half blood,’ and ‘blood traitor.’ All of this hatred and fear towards Ryn, in her own community, people who once claimed her as a friend now shunning her, Hiligan and Morwena. Of all this, Glorfindel despised them for it all, for those were three of the best people he knew and among his only family. Now the fools dared to besmirch the good names of three who had saved the entire kingdom a mere six years before.

Memories were short it was time that they were reminded.

So he came to the very centre of the town and wheeling to face the assembled gapers, Glorfindel let himself go to the festering rage within his soul.

“FOOLS!” a cry which resounded from hollow to hollow, and rang out across the entire village, even in the upper foot hills, “YOU STAND THERE AND JUDGE, EVER JUDGING AS THOUGH YOU WERE THE MASTERS OF ALL! I AM THE MASTER OF ALL, I HAVE SEEN MORE THAN ANY HERE CAN EVEY SEE, I HAVE DONE MORE THAN ANY HERE CAN EVER HOPE TO DO AND I KNOW MORE THAN YOUR PATHETIC MORTAL MINDS COMBINED! SO IF ANY ONE OF THESE INSIGNIFICANT SURFS DARES TO SPEAK OUT AGAINIST RYNWYN OR MY FAMILY THEN COME FORWARD HERE AND FACE ME!”
Off course there was nothing more than a stunned silence, whilst the old shook their heads, the children cowered behind mothers’ skirts and the young men cracked their knuckles and gripped sword hilts. Only the sound of the gale whistling through their ears was heard, but then one came forward.

Only one.

The widely set armour, broad shield, gleaming helm up head, he might well have been Eorl himself, ere he rode like a northern storm to the wide lands which would one day become his home. For one of a solider of Rohan he indeed was, one of proud setting and young, lithe form. In his gauntleted fist he clenched a long shining spear. His grey eyes, behind the visor of his helm were fixed solely upon the Elf in front of him, who bore nothing more than shirt and breeches he wore. The glimmering tip of the spear came to level straight at Glorfindel, as a gigantic finger of accusation.

“I stand here elf,” the solider hollered, his voice failing slightly against the bluster, “I stand here for my people. We have been good enough to tolerate you and your woman, as well as her family and all we have received is trouble and strife. You know not Glorfindel what damage you have done here, and you dare to stand there and question us? You, my lord, are the fool, a relic a bygone age. Your time here is at an end, and once you have been dealt with, then we shall deal with your family. You have outstayed your welcome here. I, Faeolaf, son of Fellon degree this.”

“Very well, Faeolaf son of Fellon,” Glorfindel replied his countenance completely blank, no hint of emotion or thought betrayed his mood, “Is that all you have to say?”

“Far from it elf,” Faeolaf laughed, “There is so much more to tell, but if I would rather skip the laborious details and vanquish you, and the troubles of this village once and for all.”

Glorfindel merely stayed where he was. His eyes darted up and down every aspect of Faeolaf, from his bracers to the very tip of his glimmering weapon. Very slowly a sickening grin spread across his face, the very sort a serpent gives before it delivers its fatal bite to an unsuspecting victim.

“Then strike,” the elven lord cried, “Gallant hero of Rohan,” and with that Glorfindel spread his arms wide as if offering myself to the shining thirst of the weapon.

Now common sense had not completely left Faeolaf son of Fellon, as in a moment he hesitated. Alas, for only a moment, as next of all he was charging the still figure of Glorfindel, shield readied and spear lowered. For Glorfindel’s part he remained perfectly still, but never once took his eyes off the rapidly advancing form of the assailant, just as he had been taught. For six thousand years of skill had left Faeolaf very much in it, as in one simple side step, Glorfindel seized the side of the weapon and drove it firmly into the side of Faeolaf’s helm.
A spray of blood and teeth, following a groan and the young man staggered forward. Enough time for Glorfindel to rip the spear out of its former wielder’s grasp, slam it firmly into his right thigh and send the warrior spiralling forward onto his back on the hard ground. A quick movement, Glorfindel plunged the tip of the weapon into the same leg used to trip the pious mortal. One last spin and Glorfindel raised the spear from one last little trip, straight into the exposed chest of the prone and stunned Faeolaf.

[Edited on 7/2/2006 by LoremasterMiar]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 06:15
"I wish I wasn't the one telling you this. I had hoped she or your father would but that obviously isn't going to happen.Your mother didn't die Elemak, she gave you to the first person who would take you after you were born. To her, you're not her son."

"Who was it?" asked Elemak, not sure he wanted the answer anymore.

"Narya."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 06, 2006 03:32
Hiligan had been puzzled over the change in Glorfindel’s mood, but he only stayed well out of the way when Aila came in. It was with alarm he listened to what was said… he only knew a little of what had happened before between the elf and Samen, and that was only what Ryn had been willing to share- and when the elf stormed out Hiligan could only look after him with wide eyes, feeling both concern and contempt. He did know that Glorfindel had been storming out- or sneaking out- a lot recently, which Rynwyn didn’t find amusing at all. Until now, though, he hadn’t understood how serious the situation was, or just what his little sister had been dealing with.

He glanced uneasily at Aila, not knowing what to say. Then he turned and saw Ryn looking through the door, which was cracked open only a bit. She looked hurt, and worried, and afraid- her e yes were damp. She’d heard everything, of course… there was no way she wouldn’t have, not with the thin walls in that little house. No word about it did she utter, however… she just came into the kitchen and looked at the broken mirror on the floor.
“I can’t bend over to clean this up,” she said, her voice tired and thick with the threat of tears… then she looked at Glorfindel’s sister, at a complete loss for words. She didn’t know what to do or say about her husband… she wanted to go after him, but she knew she couldn’t keep up. And when he was in a rage like that there wasn’t much she *could* do, short of grabbing onto him and holding him in a hug until he calmed down.

Hiligan could see her distress, and he pulled her into a gentle one-armed hug (since that was, of course, all he could manage) and kissed the top of her head. He knew that both she and the elleth were *very* upset… but he gave Ailia a knowing look.
“Will you help her clean this up?” he asked, his eyes pleading, “I’m going to see if I can catch up with that hair-brained elf…”
He mainly just didn’t want his baby sister left alone. He didn’t know much about women and pregnancy, but he knew in her condition she *didn’t* need all this extra stress… and he was afraid that something would happen.
He gave the she-elf’s shoulder a squeeze then went outside, going in the direction he assumed Glorfindel would have gone- and spotted a crowd gathered.

Alas, for only a moment, as next of all he was charging the still figure of Glorfindel, shield readied and spear lowered. For Glorfindel’s part he remained perfectly still, but never once took his eyes off the rapidly advancing form of the assailant, just as he had been taught. For six thousand years of skill had left Faeolaf very much in it, as in one simple side step, Glorfindel seized the side of the weapon and drove it firmly into the side of Faeolaf’s helm.
A spray of blood and teeth, following a groan and the young man staggered forward. Enough time for Glorfindel to rip the spear out of its former wielder’s grasp, slam it firmly into his right thigh and send the warrior spiralling forward 180 degrees onto his back on the hard ground. A quick movement, Glorfindel plunged the tip of the weapon into the same leg used to trip the pious mortal. One last spin and Glorfindel raised the spear from one last little trip, straight into the exposed chest of the prone and stunned Faeolaf.

The young man stopped in his tracks for a moment and cursed silently- what in the world was going on?!- then hurried forward again. He didn’t know what had started the fight, but he could see clearly that a soldier of the rohirrim lay dead, the elf holding the spear that was buried in the bloodied chest.
“Glorfindel!” Hiligan called, rushing up, “What- How- What happened?!”

“Murderer!” someone in the back of the crowd shouted, then someone else disagreed, yelling, “He had it coming! Faeolaf attacked first!” And then the group was arguing, the majority quickly in favor that Glorfindel had murdered his adversary, the smaller percent loudly saying he hadn’t. Hiligan’s heart was pounding- he hadn’t liked Faeolaf, not at all- the man had teased him mercilessly for only having one arm, and not being able to refill his own role as a soldier- and he didn’t doubt that Glorfindel had been attacked… but had Ingold really needed to KILL the narrow-minded idiot?! The general opinion of himself, his sister and her husband he knew well…. And he guessed that this wouldn’t turn in Glorfindel’s favor. With horror he imagined what would happen when Rynwyn found out… and what about the rest of their friends? Worries filled his mind- what if they were all forced out of the village? His main worry was his sister- she was in no condition to travel, or to deal with this... what had Glorfindel been thinking?!
He didn’t voice his fears though- he only looked at the elf, waiting for an explanation, or something….

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 02:46
[OOC: OMG I am SO pissed – lost my post TWICE in a row ‘cos my computer keeps hanging…]

It was soon after a hasty breakfast passed in somewhat nervous silence, and the three of them were about to go their separate ways for the day when there came a sudden commotion from the street.

“FOOLS!” a cry which resounded from hollow to hollow, and rang out across the entire village, even in the upper foot hills, “YOU STAND THERE AND JUDGE, EVER JUDGING AS THOUGH YOU WERE THE MASTERS OF ALL! I AM THE MASTER OF ALL, I HAVE SEEN MORE THAN ANY HERE CAN EVEY SEE, I HAVE DONE MORE THAN ANY HERE CAN EVER HOPE TO DO AND I KNOW MORE THAN YOUR PATHETIC MORTAL MINDS COMBINED! SO IF ANY ONE OF THESE INSIGNIFICANT SURFS DARES TO SPEAK OUT AGAINIST RYNWYN OR MY FAMILY THEN COME FORWARD HERE AND FACE ME!”

“Oh, that oaf!” Erestor groaned, rushing to the window to find Glorfindel standing in the middle of the street, arms akimbo, wrathful as Melko himself. He looked terrible – the dark shadows under his bloodshot eyes and haggard features brought about by weeks of sleepless nights and seemingly endless worry were not flattered by his most irritated glare. What was worse, Erestor was quite sure this outburst would not be well-taken by the villagers, who already looked upon elves such as Glorfindel and himself with a sort of fearful distaste born of ignorance. He had not been blind to the kind of stares and whispers he had been getting, and he could only shudder to guess what they thought of Amarie. Blood traitor, probably – he had heard them speak of Ryn and her unborn child thus when they thought noone was looking, but they had not accounted for elvish hearing. Filthy half-breed. Not for the first time he wondered what on the whole of Arda Glorfindel was doing to stay on here. If it weren’t for the fact he was staying for Brenna’s wedding, he would have turned around and left the moment he had accompanied the others here; at least in Minas Tirith the people were a lot more accommodating, but that would probably be because of Estel and Arwen, not to mention the Twins and Legolas, who kept popping in to visit them.

But his helpless exasperation was quickly replaced by a tide of rising panic as one impetuous young mortal took the elf at his word. The panic was not for his friend’s safety – Glorfindel was a more than capable warrior – but rather, for what a distraught, angry Glorfindel might do should his emotions get the better of him, and this was quite a usual occurrence in the other’s blacker moods.

“Very well, Faeolaf son of Fellon,” Glorfindel replied his countenance completely blank, no hint of emotion or thought betrayed his mood, “Is that all you have to say?”

“Far from it elf,” Faeolaf laughed, “There is so much more to tell, but if I would rather skip the laborious details and vanquish you, and the troubles of this village once and for all.”

Glorfindel merely stayed where he was. His eyes darted up and down every aspect of Faeolaf, from his bracers to the very tip of his glimmering weapon. Very slowly a sickening grin spread across his face, the very sort a serpent gives before it delivers its fatal bite to an unsuspecting victim.

“Then strike,” the elven lord cried, “Gallant hero of Rohan,” and with that Glorfindel spread his arms wide as if offering myself to the shining thirst of the weapon.

Now common sense had not completely left Faeolaf son of Fellon, as in a moment he hesitated. Alas, for only a moment, as next of all he was charging the still figure of Glorfindel, shield readied and spear lowered. For Glorfindel’s part he remained perfectly still, but never once took his eyes off the rapidly advancing form of the assailant, just as he had been taught. For six thousand years of skill had left Faeolaf very much in it, as in one simple side step, Glorfindel seized the side of the weapon and drove it firmly into the side of Faeolaf’s helm.
A spray of blood and teeth, following a groan and the young man staggered forward. Enough time for Glorfindel to rip the spear out of its former wielder’s grasp, slam it firmly into his right thigh and send the warrior spiralling forward 180 degrees onto his back on the hard ground. A quick movement, Glorfindel plunged the tip of the weapon into the same leg used to trip the pious mortal. One last spin and Glorfindel raised the spear from one last little trip, straight into the exposed chest of the prone and stunned Faeolaf.

“Ai, Eru!” Erestor ran for the door.

“Stay here, but be ready to run.” He commanded Amarie and Lante more curtly than intended, but things were not looking good. “I think we’ve outstayed our welcome.”

With that, he was out of the door and down in the street, to find Ryn and her brother Hilligan had arrived on the scene too. Cries of “murderer!” were beginning to come from the crowd, and although Erestor did not feel that the rash, xenophobic young man was really such a loss (he had deserved it, rather), killing him probably was not all that good a move. He decided not to rush in yet. The situation could go either way – if the other villagers were more open to reason, good for both sides concerned, but from what Erestor had seen of them this was not the most likely option…
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 04:52
Amarie heard the commotion, too of course, and she was very worried, but her first concerns were for Ryn. Let Erestor deal with Glorfindel, and let Lante do whatever she pleased, she was going to look after Ryn.

Shortly after Erestor had run out, Amarie turned to Lante, "I need to see how Ryn is doing - all this stress could cause an early birth at the worst. Would you be kind enough to let Erestor know I am at Ryn's once he comes back." Without waiting for an answer, Amarie was out of the door, avoiding the crowed which had gathered around Glorfindel and made her way to Ryn's house. When she had entered she quickly shut the door.

She saw Ailia, Glorfindel's sister cleaning something up from the floor and a very distressed Ryn standing over her. Amarie decided that she needed to take charge immediately. "Good morning Ryn - you distress yourself over small details." While she was talking, she carefully stepped around Ailia, shooting her a thank you glance and gently lead Ryn to the table and made her sit down. "You are coming close, I see," Amarie observed ,"Can I have a look?"

Under all circumstances she wanted to prevent Ryn from finding out what went on outside - of course, Amarie was aware that sooner or later, no one would be able to keep the news from Ryn, but at this point every hour she did not know meant more time in the womb for the baby.
Gently Amarie touched Ryn's swollen belly. There, she could feel the child, gently moving within. She could also feel a strong heartbeat - that was good. Then she turned back to Ryn, asking her a few medical questions.

When she was satisfied, she smiled at Ryn, "Everything is well - and it should not take too long anymore before you can hold your child in your arms. We do need to talk about the birth, because it is very important that you are prepared and now is the time to ask questions. But, let me prepare some tea and we can talk."

While Amarie was preparing some tea, she smiled to herself. In just a few months, she would be in the same situation as Ryn was in now, preparing for the birth of her child - Erestor's child. The tea was finally ready and Amarie sat down, placing a cup in front of Ailia, who had joined them at the table, and one in front of Ryn and herself.

Talk, Amarie thought when she noticed the direction of Ryn's glance. "So", Amarie said, trying to sound normal "If you don't have questions at the moment we can talk about something else. Even though I am a healer, I have some questions for you myself. How for example did you deal with the morning sickness? I have tried every herb I know, but I cannot even keep them down most of the time, as if this child in me did not like food at all..." When she saw the surprise in Ryn's and Ailia's faces, she smiled, then added "Yes, I am pregnant."
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2006 11:05
Cries fell on deaf ears, the very gale appeared to be drained of its roar, and Glorfindel was dead to the world. Vaguely he was aware of his grip slipping on the spear and it fell from his grasp, spiralling downwards and struck the ground in that deadened void. His senses numbed and only aware of his blood rising as a tumultuous tempest in his ears, Glorfindel felt that all too familiar deadening sensation spreading outwards from his chest. He lowered his eyes to be greeted with the sight of blood seeping smoothly down his chest, before perpetually hung droplets plummeted to the frost hardened earth.

All sense and reason gave up to terror, as far flung memories came slap bang back to the forefront of reality. Snatches of gasped breathes and that horrific murky darkness, with the mockery of sunlight just beyond his ever straining reach….but this was not the same. The sudden jarring pain of as his collapsing knees slammed into the concrete like ground brought Glorfindel back, yet again into that nightmarish existence he endured. This spear tip had merely glanced his chest, leaving only a shallow gash, but his arm had a deeper mark and looked as though it would make a fine addition to his collection.

Breathing stabilised and mood calmed, Glorfindel looked to the young man before him, who lay stricken, blood pooling in eschewed helm, blank eyes fixed on the point of eternity and his face bearing the same expression of shock they all had.

“Such a proud warrior,” soft words on soft lips rolled out as a quiet brook in the glades, “So proud and so noble, but that’s never enough. I have seen a hundred like him die in just as much time. Would you call it a waste? A wasted life? Some would say he died doing his duty, others would call it murder and others necessity. I’ve seen it all before, so nothing is new. For Skyla is was the same with Reothed, for us it was murder, for her a necessity, her duty. Alas my poor Skyla, you know as I do what now awaits me.”
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 11, 2006 12:25
Brenna sighed, and watched Samen for a moment, before turning back to her work. She carefully kneaded the dough and then put it in the tin, putting it on the hearth in front of the fire. A small part of her mind complained how boring this was, that she'd turned into her mother, a housewife, but she ignored it, setting herself to tidy up the breakfast things and make sure everything was mostly clean.

As she worked, Brenna began to hear the sounds of a crowd in the village. She frowned, but finished sweaping the floor, and put the broom back behind the door, before slipping out of the house in barefeet and padding down the streets, following her ears to the sound.

When she found the group of villagers, she easily ducked, wove and pushed her way through to the front, and then froze.

Glorfindel stood in front of her, a young rohirrim on the floor, clearly dead. Her eyes searched the crowd for a moment, before finding Erestor on the other side. She waited until he met her eyes, so that he knew she was here as well, before turning back to Glorfindel, unsure what to do. She was worried any actions of hers would only make the situation worse.

"Be careful..." She whispered, scared for her friend.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2006 06:26
Elemak was stunned, unable to believe that Narya.... NARYA was his mother.

"Wh..... wh... why...?" Elemak stuttered. Samen knelt down and put his hand on Elemak's shoulder.

"I don't know the answer to the questions you want to ask, I don't even know if your father would've known the answers. I just felt you should here it."

Suddenely Samen heard a scream from an inn. He gazed out into the distance and saw the inn.

"I'll be back," he said to Elemak as he started down the hill.

Once he got to the inn he was greeted by the grizzly sight of a man lying dead and a bloody spear at Glorfindel's feet. Several people were speaking but Samen was too shocked to do anything but a few silent tears went down his cheeks as he stared into Glorfindel's hollow, half dead face.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 12, 2006 07:21
She saw Ailia, Glorfindel's sister cleaning something up from the floor and a very distressed Ryn standing over her. Amarie decided that she needed to take charge immediately. "Good morning Ryn - you distress yourself over small details." While she was talking, she carefully stepped around Ailia, shooting her a thank you glance and gently lead Ryn to the table and made her sit down. "You are coming close, I see," Amarie observed ,"Can I have a look?"

Under all circumstances she wanted to prevent Ryn from finding out what went on outside - of course, Amarie was aware that sooner or later, no one would be able to keep the news from Ryn, but at this point every hour she did not know meant more time in the womb for the baby.
Gently Amarie touched Ryn's swollen belly. There, she could feel the child, gently moving within. She could also feel a strong heartbeat - that was good. Then she turned back to Ryn, asking her a few medical questions.

When she was satisfied, she smiled at Ryn, "Everything is well - and it should not take too long anymore before you can hold your child in your arms. We do need to talk about the birth, because it is very important that you are prepared and now is the time to ask questions. But, let me prepare some tea and we can talk."

While Amarie was preparing some tea, she smiled to herself. In just a few months, she would be in the same situation as Ryn was in now, preparing for the birth of her child - Erestor's child. The tea was finally ready and Amarie sat down, placing a cup in front of Ailia, who had joined them at the table, and one in front of Ryn and herself.

Rynwyn was glad of Amarie’s concern- and happy to know that things were progressing with her pregnancy- but she was worried about her husband. Some word should have come back by now, if not Glorfindel himself. It was already too much to feel constantly nauseated and to be worried about the elf not sleeping and obsessing over that book- but this as well? She thought she heard a commotion outside, and she glanced toward the door, wondering…

"So", Amarie said, trying to sound normal "If you don't have questions at the moment we can talk about something else. Even though I am a healer, I have some questions for you myself. How for example did you deal with the morning sickness? I have tried every herb I know, but I cannot even keep them down most of the time, as if this child in me did not like food at all..." When she saw the surprise in Ryn's and Ailia's faces, she smiled, then added "Yes, I am pregnant."

“Congratulations,” Rynwyn said with a wan smile, “I must confess that I haven’t dealt with it very well… rest and warm tea helped half the time, though. I’m nervous about this birth, Amarie, but I’ve talked to my mother about it… and I’ve seen births before, so I really don’t have any questions… but I truly appreciate your help. I wouldn’t want anyone else present…”

At that moment the door was flung open and a little boy- one of the villagers- popped his head in the door.
“Miss Ryn!” he said, waving his hand behind him, “Glorfindel is hurt, and a soldier’s dead! You’d better come quick!”

Rynwyn felt an incredible rush of fear and got to her feet at once.
“What happened?!” she demanded, ignoring Amarie’s insistent plea that she stay calm.
“They fought,” the child said, his eyes wide, “Don’t know what’s going to happen now, though… “

Nearly trembling with her fear and worry, the young woman was about to hurry out to see about her husband- and she’d made it to the doorway- when a sudden pain brought her to a halt. She stopped and gripped the door frame, gritting her teeth and shutting her eyes- becoming even more anxious as the pain faded. It was simply too soon… she still had at least a month to go before the birth… why was this happening?
“Amarie,” she started, turning around, “I think- I mean- it feels like…”
She didn’t bother finishing the sentence, but instead turned back to the boy.
“Go fetch Morwen,” she said, “My mother- you know where she lives? Tell her to take care of Glorfindel, please-“
Another onset of pain made her gasp, and she turned around, gladly accepting Amarie’s assistance to get to the bedroom. A number of fears were bouncing around violently in her mind- fear for Glorfindel, wildly wondering what had happened and if he was alright- fear now for her baby, for she was certain that her labour had begun- but too soon… and what if the child didn’t survive? Very soon tears streaked her face- tears of worry, fear, and of pain, more pain than she’d ever known. She was hardly aware of anything else- except for Amarie’s soothing voice and gentle hands as she sought to help…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Such a proud warrior,” soft words on soft lips rolled out as a quiet brook in the glades, “So proud and so noble, but that’s never enough. I have seen a hundred like him die in just as much time. Would you call it a waste? A wasted life? Some would say he died doing his duty, others would call it murder and others necessity. I’ve seen it all before, so nothing is new. For Skyla is was the same with Reothed, for us it was murder, for her a necessity, her duty. Alas my poor Skyla, you know as I do what now awaits me.”

Hiligan saw Erestor, Brenna and Samen, but he was standing next to Glorfindel. He knew what the elf was talking about, of course- his face looked as if he were lost in distant memories, events that had happened years ago- and those things he spoke of. But he was hurt- and Hiligan knew he didn’t need to stay out here- especially if he was talking about Reothed’s death. No one else in the village knew that Brenna had been the culprit… and they didn’t need to find out now, while they were already angry.
“You’re rambling, Glorfindel,” Hiligan said, bending to help him to his feet (awkwardly, since he- of course- only had one arm), “Come on, we’ll worry about this mess once we’ve gotten you seen about.”

Samen thankfully came to Hiligan’s aid, and they managed to get Glorfindel back to his and Ryn’s house- but upon entering, they met Morwen, who directed them to the sitting room.
“Rynwyn has gone into labour,” she explained as she started tending to the elf’s arm- wound first, her voice worried, “Amarie and Ailia are with her, but you men have to stay out here- even you, Glorfindel.”
She couldn’t tell if the elf heard her or not, but she shook her head as she bound his arm and then saw to the shallow cut on his chest. She’d heard what had happened and couldn’t understand what had gotten into her son-in-law, but she didn’t ask. She’d never looked down on him. In fact, she’d always admired him and had been glad he’d married her daughter.

“Don’t over-use this arm,” she instructed, and then left him sitting there as she went to the door to look out. The crowd had dispersed and the soldier’s body had been taken away- but she didn’t doubt the repercussions would come soon. For now, though, her only concern was her daughter- who’s painful moaning could clearly be heard from the bedroom. The older woman shared a worried glance with Brenna, then looked at Samen and Hiligan.

“I’m hoping we’ll have no trouble- but please keep an eye on the door, and don’t go traipsing about outside unless you need to.”

Without another word she disappeared into the bedroom.

(hope this is alright- if anyone needs me to edit, just let me know and I will)

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email