Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Road goes ever on and on...? (PM First and see At the End of All Things OOC)
on: February 12, 2006 09:57
“Congratulations,” Rynwyn said with a wan smile, “I must confess that I haven’t dealt with it very well… rest and warm tea helped half the time, though. I’m nervous about this birth, Amarie, but I’ve talked to my mother about it… and I’ve seen births before, so I really don’t have any questions… but I truly appreciate your help. I wouldn’t want anyone else present…”
Amarie smiled. She liked Rynwyn and she felt honored that she wanted to have her at the birth of her child. But at that moment the door was flung open and a little boy- one of the villagers- popped his head in the door.
“Miss Ryn!” he said, waving his hand behind him, “Glorfindel is hurt, and a soldier’s dead! You’d better come quick!”

Damn you, Amarie said, seeing that now, all her efforts to keep Ryn calm would be in vain indeed. “What happened?!” Ryn demanded, ignoring Amarie’s insistent plea that she stay calm. With a sigh Amarie gave up, preparing Ailia with a whisper that she expected Rynwyn to go into labor any moment.
“They fought,” the child said, his eyes wide, “Don’t know what’s going to happen now, though… “

Amarie could see that Ryn wanted to hurry out to see about Glorfindel, when she stopped, gripping the door frame, clutching at her stomach. The trained eyes of the healer told Amarie immediately that Ryn was starting the process of giving birth.
“Amarie,” Ryn started, turning around, “I think- I mean- it feels like…”
She didn’t bother finishing the sentence, but instead turned back to the boy.
“Go fetch Morwen,” she said, “My mother- you know where she lives? Tell her to take care of Glorfindel, please-“
Another onset of pain made her gasp, and she turned around, gladly accepting Amarie’s assistance to get to the bedroom.

The most important thing to do now, Amarie knew, was to keep Ryn as calm and comfortable as possible. The child would come too soon, although, the chance of it being healthy and strong enough to survive was quite large. She called for Ailia to help her to get Ryn settled on the bed, then sent her out to get hot water and her herbs. “All right, Ryn – we will work together now, the three of us. Don’t be afraid – your child wants to be born. Then we should give it the chance. I need you to do what I say. I will examine you first, then when I tell you to, you will help me and push, but that might still take a while.” When Ryn had nodded, seemingly in great pain, Amarie turned around to find her herbs and the hot water. She sent Ailia out to get more. Carefully Amarie washed her hands and then went over to Ryn to examine her. Good, she thought, the baby at least had turned and was working itself into the right position, so there was one less thing to worry about, but Ryn was not ready to give birth just yet – all they could do was wait.

For hours they waited, having to watch Ryn struggle with the labor pains, but Amarie would not let her push before her body was not ready. Ryn’s mother had joined them by now and Amarie took turns with her in talking to Ryn. Ailia was outside, calming Glorfindel, popping her head in from time to time and asking about the progress or whether she could get something. Time dragged on, and Amarie feared the worst, but each examination proved that her worry was unnecessary.

The day went on and it was way into the afternoon, when Amarie took Ryn’s mother aside. “She is not progressing fast enough – she does not have the strength to go on with it for a long time. I will give her some herbs, which will bring the birth along faster, but there are risks. I need you to watch closely for bleeding – anytime you think it might be too much, tell me – for then we will have to give her another herb to help stop the bleeding – but there is no guarantee.” “What will happen if we do not give her anything?” Morwen asked. “Look at her,” Amarie answered,” she will not be able to handle the pushing – she is growing weaker.” Morwen nodded, then went back to her daughter to explain to her what was going to happen, while Amarie prepared the herb drink and handed it to Morwen to give to Ryn.

Amarie took a few deep breaths, then turned again to Ryn. “Are you ready to see your child? These herbs will help you a bit. The contractions should increase soon.” A short while afterwards she could see in Ryn’s face, that the time had come. Amarie went into position and told Ryn to push. And Ryn pushed with all her might and the last strength there seemed to be in her. Finally Amarie could see the baby’s head and told Ryn to stop pushing for a moment. Gently she took the baby’s head into her hands and began to pull slowly and carefully until finally she had the baby in her arms and Morwen cut the navel cord. Then a loud wail could be heard and Amarie handed the child to Morwen, who went to the washbasin. “You have a daughter,” she told Ryn smiling.

But then Amarie noticed all the blood and hurried to give Ryn the second herbal drink, hoping the bleeding would stop, before Ryn became too weak. What followed were frightening moments to Amarie, for at times she feared they would lose Ryn, for there seemed not enough towels and rags to stop the bleeding, but finally it ceased and then stopped.
Amarie smiled at Morwen, “Seems like she got the turn, “ she said, “ your daughter is a great fighter.” Then she took the baby from Morwen’s arms and went over to Ryn. “Here, your daughter, she is small, but healthy and strong.” She watched with pride and gladness as Ryn looked at her child with pure happiness, all the pain forgotten.

When the baby was sleeping contently after having been fed, Amarie took her from Ryn again and handed her back to Morwen. “You need to rest now, Ryn. Time to talk to Glorfindel afterwards. Sleep now, your baby needs you strong and healthy.”

When Rynwyn, too had fallen asleep and they had placed her sleeping daughter into her arms, Amarie collapsed on a chair. She felt exhausted and sick and she did not feel like seeing anyone right now, except perhaps Erestor. How she wished she could sleep in his arms now. With this thought, Amarie fell asleep, not noticing that Morwen put a blanket over her and quietly went outside to fill everyone in on the news.

(ooc: I, too, hope that this is all right - if I need to edit, tell me)
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Road goes ever on and on...? (PM First and see At the End of All Things OOC)
on: February 12, 2006 03:05
Samen was pacing back and forth in Morwen's house and the metrenome of his perfectly even footsteps were beginning to annoy people. Finally Brenna walked to him and hugged him. The two sat down then.

'This is all my fault," said Samen softly. "If I hadn't been tracking Glorfindel in Eregion none of this would've happened. Glorfindel wouldn't be as broken as he is and Krev would've been too busy searching for me to care about Ryn and..." Samen broke, he started quietly sobbing into his hands.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2006 02:21
[OOC: Awesome post, Liswen!]

In the long, stunned silence that followed Ryn’s brother Hilligan arrived with Ailia, followed by Samen and Brenna – she caught his eye briefly, then turned her attention to the situation at hand. Erestor could feel the tension in the air, drawn as tight as a bowstring, and about as volatile, just waiting for the right excuse to explode. He started forward, thinking to get Glorfindel out of there as soon as possible before the crowd decided the right course of action was to mob, but thankfully Hilligan and Samen reached him first; hopefully the villagers would look more kindly upon their fellow humans rather than himself. He added a mental note to have a long, long talk with Glorfindel after this - there was quite a bit he needed to discuss.

To his relief, the crowd did not impede them as Hilligan helped Glorfindel to his feet, nor did they respond as they started back to Glorfindel’s house. Erestor was quite sure it wasn’t going to last, and sooner or later someone somewhere would start baying for blood, but if they could just get out of the way… All through the long walk he could feel curious eyes on backs that suddenly felt all the more vulnerable, some threatening, loaded will malice and ill-intent, others still a little fearful, but with no less hatred under it. He had the distinct uncomfortable feeling of being sized up; somewhere in the throng, calculations were being made, and he had to suppress the urge to keep turning around every few seconds to make sure nothing sharp and/or pointed was coming their way with literally terminal velocity.

[OOC: To quote Terry Pratchett, “The intellectual quotient of a mob is the intelligence of its densest member divided by the number of people in it.” Or something to that effect anyway. XD]

And then if he felt there had been more than enough nasty surprises for the day, he was in for a second helping. And it had not even reached noon. As they entered Glorfindel’s home a woman he vaguely recognised as Ryn’s mother stopped them at the door with the news that Ryn had gone into labour, and Amarie was already inside with her. There was not much else to do after that but sit and wait. He cast a concerned glance at Glorfindel – the other elf looked… miserable and terrified at the same time, for lack of a better description, and even that was a severe understatement. Erestor had rarely felt so powerless to help his friend; he could only place a awkwardly reassuring hand on Glorfindel’s shaking shoulder, for all that was worth, and watch the window warily in case an angry horde came marching up to them any time soon.

It was to be one of the longest days of his life. In between watching Samen pace incessantly, Lante sulk in a corner, occasionally casting twitchy glances at the window and door as if half expecting it to burst open with a bang any moment, and making sure Ailia was keeping her brother from doing anything else irrational or suicidal, he could do no more. Samen broke down, and he expended a large quantity of self control in forcing himself not to give the man a good hard shake. Glorfindel was in bad enough straits. He did not need to have to reassure his friend it wasn't his fault when he was having enough trouble staying calm himself.

"That's enough." Erestor snapped, and the sharp, curt words rang out in the otherwise deafening silence that before had been punctuated only with Ryn's faint cries and then Samen's quiet sobs, their slight venom accentuated by Erestor's own worry and feelings of inadequacy. "It would have happened anyway, and has already happened, so leave the past be. Glorfindel has enough on his plate for now."

And then finally, just before the sun set, [OOC: That was an assumption based on Liswen’s post.] there was a loud wail from within, and Morwenna appeared in the bedchamber door once more to say that Ryn had had her child; it was a girl. Glorfindel was in the room in a flash, but now Erestor’s cares were for Amarie – he had not seen her for nearly the whole day, and was not sure how she had fared from the stress of all the events. Unable to contain himself, he peered in around the door frame, and at the far side of the room Amarie had sunk into a chair, asleep. To confirm his worries, she was not looking her best – all pale and drawn, dark shadows standing out beneath her eyes like bruises. But Ryn and Glorfindel needed their privacy, so he tore himself from the door, and closed it quietly behind him. They could use the respite.

[Edited on 13/2/2006 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 15, 2006 04:32
Brenna walked with Samen, keeping an eye on Glorfindel as they walked him back to the house, but not moving to support him, knowing that she'd only get in the way.

They were greeted at the house by Ryn's mother. "Rynwyn has gone into labour. Amarie and Ailia are with her, but you men have to stay out here- even you, Glorfindel.

Brenna kissed Samen briefly, before running after the others into Ryn's room, worried for her friend.

She quickly realised that she was doing little use there except for worrying and panicing and getting in the way. Brenna moved to Rynwyn briefly, putting a hand on hers to show her support, and then slipped into the other room where the men were waiting, looking more nervous and worried then her, especially Glorfindel. "I think she's alright." She tried to reasure them, before going to Samen. He was pacing along the length of the room and had evidently been doing so for a while. Gently, Brenna wrapped her arms around him, leading him to a chair, and sitting him down, before sitting down beside him, holding his hand tightly.

"This is all my fault," said Samen softly. "If I hadn't been tracking Glorfindel in Eregion none of this would've happened. Glorfindel wouldn't be as broken as he is and Krev would've been too busy searching for me to care about Ryn and..." Samen broke, he started quietly sobbing into his hands.

"Krev never did anything to cause this - if he had it would have happened before." Brenna reasured him, just as softly. "Glorfindel would probably still be wandering around, and Ryn would too. And - well, would we be together if you hadn't been? This is not your fault." Brenna wipped his tears away and then tipped his head to make him look her in the eyes. "Listen to me, Samen. This. Is. Not. Your. Fault." She punctuated each word to try and get it through to him.
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2006 12:06
(ooc: Here goes nothing…)

A moment in time set upon the very second the door slipped quietly back into place. A point in which all seemed to grind to a half. A mere second set as a tedious duration of an hour, every hour an agonizing decade in that laborious limbo for Glorfindel. Every last one of his six thousand years had slipped through the endless eons of Arada to culminate in that very insistence that his child entered that world. For in that time ever had his thoughts been with Ryn, and ever had the burden of that moment, so long anticipated and planned, crushed his shoulders beneath it’s weight.

Now it was over. He stood now before the very incarnation of his deepest desires, but behind, in the shadows lay the lingering stench of his most horrific nightmares. Not in six millennia of prolonged and fatigued mind games could Glorfindel have even come close to such glory as he beheld in the tiny sleeping figure held tightly to Ryn’s breast. From her there came a sheer radiance, slicing and penetrating into the very deepest pools of fear and doubt in her father’s mind. The very epitome of peace and innocence, eyes as yet not called to witness the staggering beauty and terror, which exemplified the very existence he had fought so hard to preserve. A paragon of not only virtue and purity of spirit, but for her father, Glorfindel knew now for certain he now looked upon his sole reason for living. The uttermost exquisite character within his cosmos.

The veil of obscurity before his eyes yielded at last to this creature of heavenly innocent. From her came the same soft luminosity which her beloved mother exuded, the same which had once shown Glorfindel the way to the path, the way to a place warm and comforting. Throughout the events of our story he had walked in shadow, delved into places where even those closest to him dared not to follow. The reason?

One could only put this down to fear, a fear of loose. He’d seen it a hundred times before, but then again that’s the terrible thing about experience. If you seen something often enough you come to expect it. You are to waking up in the middle of the night sweating in fear, scouring every single shadow for any sign of what you know will come. Eventually you are drawn inwards, everyone, everything is a threat and you can’t afford to draw too close to that source of warmth and comfort, for fear that you will be burned.

That is no way to live.

“O what is this vision, my old eyes see before me,” a soft tongue, his throat raw from the suppressed sobs so desperate to accompany the silent tears, “Have they plucked a star from the dark set realms of heaven to lay you here before me? I would beseech that were not so, for little one, could I not keep you, to hold you tight, feel you softly sleeping, I fear my heart would break. A ray of purest light from the Twin Trees, set in crystal prison could not even contend with you little dreamer. Were the greatest smith himself here he would beg me on bent knees to set you in imperishable glass to ever preserve you ever after, so all might behold this pinnacle of glory. No, a cage is no place, for no one could bear to set a song bird such as you captive. They would sooner see you soar to the furthest reaches of the clearest blue, to see you set amongst the very radiances where you surely fell from to lie before this tired old fool.”

The young elfling stirred and very slowly opened her eyes to set her gaze upon the disheveled and haggard figure before. Two deep set, soft brown pupils regarded him, the same gaze which held Glorfindel captivated everytime he was caught by it, a look which left him in no doubt that here was someone who loved him very deeply and would always be there to understand and cherish him.

So from this appointed signal he cast off the last vestiges of darkness and advanced. Ever were those eyes fixed upon him, studying Glorfindel with that simple, delightful purity. Sinking down beside Ryn, Glorfindel never took his eyes off her’s. Just Glorfindel wrapped his arm around Ryn, the child closed her eyes and settled into a down and peaceful sleep, content everything was as it should be. As for Glorfindel he was free of all doubt and fear, for now he knew where he belonged. Closing his eyes to Glorfindel let he deep lengthy sigh, expelling the last of the tightness from his chest.

“You need to know,” he sighed, “There isn’t any excuse of the way I have been. You are probably sick of hearing this, tired of being let down by me, but I’m so sorry. I may have gone, but now I’m back. How did I miss it? Bah, what’s the point of self loathing or questioning, I’ll handle it…we’ll handle it. The point is…”

Raising his head from Ryn’s shoulder and met those same beautiful brown eyes which had saved him so long ago now and finally he smiled.

“The point is that, she has your eyes.”

(ooc: *does happy dance* yay! I can bring the ‘normal’ Glorfindel back now! He’s back! Oh yeah! Oh yeah! *does happy dance techo version* btw, I, on the other hand, am still away on holiday!)

From outside Ailia sighed happily and slide down the wall to rest at it’s base. Her own eyes slowly turned out to the west of the valley, where the sun set in a glorious display of gold and fiery orange, dwindling to deepest blue overhead.

“He’s lucky,” she sighed, “you all are. To have people who care so much about you all. Thank you, thank you all, I know Glorfindel doesn’t say very often but he needs you all. It’s his greatest fear to lose you all. That is what fuels this irrational rage, he fears to be close.”

Her head slowly turned from one side to other, taking in the assembled group: Samen to Brenna, Amarie to Erestor to Lante, Hiligan to Morwen and finally back to the dark and far off figure of Elemak.

“A dream,” Ailia continued, then suddenly she was momentarily racked with a burst of highly inappropriate snigger, but this was the laugh of someone who has come to expect something all too often, “A dream…yes that makes sense. He has them a lot, ‘nightmares’. That’s all my fathe…his father said they were, but this one was different. He wrote it down in the book, the one I found. Of course, true to tradition, he closed up about it, never said a word. I think he’d forgotten until you came along Samen and this whole sorted affair began.”

Gaze now fixed on the bleary eyed form of Samen, Ailia appeared now to be speaking solely to him. However her eyes held no hint of anger or revenge, which Samen had come to expect from Glorfindel, there was only pity.

“You had no idea what you were getting into,” the lecture continued, elven arrogance laced around kind words to sweeten the ears of contemptuous mortals, “How could you? However because of you Krev came looking, and the words from the dream returned. ‘The End of All Things,’ now tell me gallant and noble heroes, after hearing what I know and the motives behind the madness of Glorfindel Ingold now do you see what potent lies in those five simple words?’
‘Kind words for kind ears Skyla, that’s all your saying. Meaningless comfort, but necessary I deem it. If my brother is to tell us what he truly fears, to confirm what I suspect, then we must be ready. Whatever’s going on, none of us have ever seen anything like it before, and no amount of clever words is going to change that.”

The dimly set cavern was bearly even lit by the flickering flames, dancing shadows played off the walls and the cloak of the figure who sat in front of it. Stock still, a stone statue it might well have been, save for the sound of deep and controlled breathes rolling around the cave on ears of stone. However another sound interrupted this regular symphony, and that was the scattered dragging of feet. A brief moment of hesitation then the source moved into view.

A short squatting figure, disrupted in posture and movement, resplendent in rusty ramshackle gear and crudely fashioned weapon denoted an orc. Discarding a rag of a traveling cloak, it shuffled to opposite side of the fire to the seated figure, it fell into a rather clumsy bow.

“Well?” a level and calm tone emanated from the sitting figure, “Captain Snaga, what news?”

The orc’s face contorted into a mockery of rage, which just about befitted it’s mutilated countenance. Lips curled into a sneer, the only expression such a false being could carry off as it seemed indicative of it’s sullied descent.

“He lives lord,’ Snaga spat.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 16, 2006 09:57
Many long, hazy hours had passed for Rynwyn. It felt like days to her, and her pain didn’t cease, but neither did her baby come. She was afraid for so many reasons that she lost count and finally gave up trying to keep track, but the fear didn’t fade either. What if the child was stillborn? That was the main dreadful thought that burdened her mind- what if her son or daughter never got a chance to have a life? As grateful as she was that both Morwen and Amarie were there at different times, soothing her, bathing her brow and trying to be reassuring, the young woman couldn’t get past her worries and pain.
She didn’t know whether to be relieved or more vexed when her mother brought a vial to her lips, explaining that it would help her along more quickly- but she drank the liquid inside, and it did as promised.

Ryn did has Amarie told her, with all the might she had left- and just when she felt as though she could do no more, that she would simply die there because she could summon no more strength- the baby was born. She wasn’t entirely aware of what was going on, but when she heard the child crying a smile spread across her face and a joy unlike anything she’d ever known filled her breast.

“You have a daughter,” Amarie said, smiling as she caught the new mother’s gaze. There were several moments afterwards that were painful and frightening, and in those few moments Ryn was more than grateful for Amarie to have been in that room. Very soon the half-elf brought the baby over, saying, “Here, your daughter, she is small, but healthy and strong.”

“So small,” Ryn echoed weakly, but when she beheld her daughter she no longer cared about the pain, or the worrying- she simply looked on the tiny babe with awe, and happiness. Tears of joy now stung her eyes as she took the little one into her arms. She was so small… it was simply a miracle. She couldn’t find any words to say, except to greet the baby and tell her how much she was loved as she was fed. The eyes were soft brown… and she didn’t have much hair, but it looked as if it might match her father’s. Rynwyn couldn’t stop admiring the tiny darling’s little feet, little hands, little ears (which were only slightly pointed at the tips).

After the feeding was over, and the child was asleep, the mother was told to sleep as well… and she didn’t have much trouble dropping back onto the pillow and closing her eyes, but she was aware when the newborn was placed back into her arms. She hugged the infant to her breast as she rested, not wanting slumber, but to call in her husband so that he might see…

She got her wish. As soon as Morwen shared the news Glorfindel came in- at which point Amarie (who looked almost as exhausted as Ryn felt) hurried for the door, an expression on her face both of weariness and nausea.
“Thank you!” Ryn called after her, wishing she could explain how very grateful she was.

Glorfindel, then, stood and looked at the baby with an expression on his face of wonder, and joy… and he spoke, words that were soft and hardly to be heard- but the beauty of them touched Ryn’s heart. They were everything she felt about their daughter but didn’t have the gift with speech to express…

“O what is this vision, my old eyes see before me,” a soft tongue, his throat raw from the suppressed sobs so desperate to accompany the silent tears, “Have they plucked a star from the dark set realms of heaven to lay you here before me? I would beseech that were not so, for little one, could I not keep you, to hold you tight, feel you softly sleeping, I fear my heart would break. A ray of purest light from the Twin Trees, set in crystal prison could not even contend with you little dreamer. Were the greatest smith himself here he would beg me on bent knees to set you in imperishable glass to ever preserve you ever after, so all might behold this pinnacle of glory. No, a cage is no place, for no one could bear to set a song bird such as you captive. They would sooner see you soar to the furthest reaches of the clearest blue, to see you set amongst the very radiances where you surely fell from to lie before this tired old fool.”

… and Ryn didn’t speak in response, but smiled softly to see their child scrutinizing her father in the same way once she’d opened her eyes.

Sinking down beside Ryn, Glorfindel never took his eyes off her’s. Just Glorfindel wrapped his arm around Ryn, the child closed her eyes and settled into a down and peaceful sleep, content everything was as it should be. As for Glorfindel he was free of all doubt and fear, for now he knew where he belonged. Closing his eyes to Glorfindel let he deep lengthy sigh, expelling the last of the tightness from his chest.

“You need to know,” he sighed, “There isn’t any excuse of the way I have been. You are probably sick of hearing this, tired of being let down by me, but I’m so sorry. I may have gone, but now I’m back. How did I miss it? Bah, what’s the point of self loathing or questioning, I’ll handle it…we’ll handle it. The point is…”

Raising his head from Ryn’s shoulder and met those same beautiful brown eyes which had saved him so long ago now and finally he smiled.

“The point is that, she has your eyes.”

Rynwyn leaned her forehead against his, blinking away her tears before kissing him tenderly.
“And let us hope she has your talent with words, love.” she said, the quiet smile growing, “Welcome back.”
Sighing happily, she looked back to the babe, who was sleeping once more.
“She’s beautiful,” the new mother said softly, “What will we call her? She must have a beautiful name, one that suits her lovliness… Kayla? I remember discussing that one months ago...”
She looked back at Glorfindel for confirmation, and- since he agreed- happily bent to kiss the brow of the bundle in her arms.
“Our beautiful Kayla!” she said, then raised her weary eyes to meet her husband’s. “Are you alright? I heard what happened… at least, I heard a little of it. But the details must wait… I’m so tired. But tell me, are you badly hurt? Did mother take care of you?”

A few more minutes she spent talking softly with him, rejoicing over the birth of their daughter that had so long been anticipated, but she’d been through a great ordeal and could feel her weariness overcoming her excitement. Smiling, he squeezed Glorfindel’s hand.
“I’ve got to sleep, love. Won’t you hold her, just for a while? You can wake me if she starts crying… though I think she’s as tired as I am. But stay in here, with me… I’m afraid for you to go outside. Please?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiligan had found it very difficult to stay out of the bedroom-turned-birthing room. He could hear his sister’s cries and he hated knowing she was in pain- though he suspected that was normal for a woman in labour. Concerned also was he for Glorfindel, who passed the hours saying nothing, but looking scared and miserable, glancing toward the door and occasionally fidgeting. The man didn’t speak much to Samen or Erestor, but he sat next to a window, keeping an eye outside. As of yet there was no one breaking down the door- but people passed and looked at the house with hard glances. He knew that Glorfindel would have to pay for what had happened, sooner or later- and he hoped later. Indeed, he wished never- but that was impossible. The villagers might have been more forgiving if it had been himself, or even Samen- but Glorfindel was the elf who had Rynwyn under a ‘spell’, who was plotting to destroy the village or- in extreme rumors- all of Rohan. There were a few youngsters who came by and simply looked on in interest. The children, Hiligan knew, would probably be more accepting. No one came to the door, though… and for that, he was grateful.

When he heard the baby’s cry, and his mother came to announce the news, he couldn’t keep the smile from his face. He was an uncle!! And he was relieved to see Glorfindel actually *move*…

“He’s lucky,” she sighed, “you all are. To have people who care so much about you all. Thank you, thank you all, I know Glorfindel doesn’t say very often but he needs you all. It’s his greatest fear to lose you all. That is what fuels this irrational rage, he fears to be close.”
Her head slowly turned from one side to other, taking in the assembled group: Samen to Brenna, Amarie to Erestor to Lante, Hiligan to Morwen and finally back to the dark and far off figure of Elemak.

“A dream,” Ailia continued, then suddenly she was momentarily racked with a burst of highly inappropriate snigger, but this was the laugh of someone who has come to expect something all too often, “A dream…yes that makes sense. He has them a lot, ‘nightmares’. That’s all my fathe…his father said they were, but this one was different. He wrote it down in the book, the one I found. Of course, true to tradition, he closed up about it, never said a word. I think he’d forgotten until you came along Samen and this whole sorted affair began.”
Gaze now fixed on the bleary eyed form of Samen, Ailia appeared now to be speaking solely to him. However her eyes held no hint of anger or revenge, which Samen had come to expect from Glorfindel, there was only pity.
“You had no idea what you were getting into,” the lecture continued, elven arrogance laced around kind words to sweeten the ears of contemptuous mortals, “How could you? However because of you Krev came looking, and the words from the dream returned. ‘The End of All Things,’ now tell me gallant and noble heroes, after hearing what I know and the motives behind the madness of Glorfindel Ingold now do you see what potent lies in those five imple words?’ ‘Kind words for kind ears Skyla, that’s all your saying. Meaningless comfort, but necessary I deem it. If my brother is to tell us what he truly fears, to confirm what I suspect, then we must be ready. Whatever’s going on, none of us have ever seen anything like it before, and no amount of clever words is going to change that.”

Hiligan didn’t say anything in response to Alia’s words… he hadn’t been in Rivendell and still only knew snatches of what had happened to his sister and her friends between there and moria. He didn’t rightly know who Krev was- though he did know that men working for someone with that name had come to the village and stirred up trouble while looking for Glorfindel and Ryn. That was one reason the villager disliked them so…

“Comfort isn’t meaningless,” he put in at last, mostly to himself, “Words may be… but if they can stifle fear or pain, then use them. We’re only human… some of us have to convince ourselves things are alright or we go mad worrying about them.”

(ooc: hope this is ok…. If not, let me know and I shall edit)
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 05:43
To his own chagrin, Erestor found himself agreeing silently and at least to some extent with Ailia’s words. Perhaps the tone in which they were delivered was a bit more harsh, a bit more arrogant than warranted, but he could not hold Samen entirely blameless for the events that had transpired. On the other hand, he would not lightly brush aside the potent warning and foreboding carried in Glorfindel’s prophetic dreams either – the Eldar were gifted to a certain measure with foresight, and in some individuals this characteristic came out stronger than in others. Either way he was not sure how exactly events had managed to wind themselves in so complicated a fashion, but either they had all been in the wrong place at the wrong time (the wrong place being where they had all ended up together), or fickle fate had plans and had been having more than her fair share of fun with them. He did not think things would be over yet, not for some time.

Amarie exited the bedchamber looking the worse for wear, and Erestor was not sure what worried him more; her ashen-pale features, normally bright eyes clouded in exhaustation, or the nausea that sent her almost lurching for the privy and not bothering to close the door properly behind her. His brow furrowed at the retching sounds that soon followed, and in a flash he was up and cautiously pushing the door open. Gently he gathered the stray wisps of hair that had escaped Amarie’s usual braid, and, holding them out of the way, began rubbing his hand in large, soothing circles on her back as she voided the contents of her stomach.

“You’ve been overly stressing yourself, haven’t you?” he sighed, tone only slightly accusatory as he guided Amarie back to the main room and sat her down on a chair. “How do you feel now?”

[OOC: Short post! :banghead: But there really wasn’t that much for me to say here… >< ]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 09:48
Amarie could only run. The nausea in her stomach had gotten steadily worse. Now, after everything was done, she could not hold it back anymore. What was wrong with her, she asked herself. She had seen a lot of pregnant women, and she had hardly ever witnessed one who could not keep anything down. She knew that she looked dreadful by now and she was trying - different herb combinations had not helped and she was at the moment at leas at her wits end. Suddenly she noticed a presence close to her. Gently Erestor gathered the stray wisps of hair that had escaped Amarie’s usual braid, and, holding them out of the way, began rubbing his hand in large, soothing circles on her back as she voided the contents of her stomach. Amarie was grateful, more than she could show.

When she was finally done, she sat up, exhausted. “You’ve been overly stressing yourself, haven’t you?” Erestor sighed, tone only slightly accusatory as he guided Amarie back to the main room and sat her down on a chair, which she let him do without protest. “How do you feel now?” he asked. “Slightly better, thank you.” She somehow did not think it would be good to share the truth with Erestor. She felt dreadful, but had no idea whether it was normal or not. She would have liked to ask Ryn, but at the moment, the young mother had more than enough on her hands. Perhaps she should consult someone else. Sitting in the chair felt good and slowly, Amarie started to feel better. She smiled at Erestor, as if to reassure him that she was going to be fine. Gently she touched her stomach and concentrated for a moment. But of course it was way to early to feel anything.

“Don’t worry, love,” she whispered to Erestor so the others would not hear, “our little treasure is fine. And I am already feeling better. The past hours were just a bit much – but Ryn is so happy now… I am glad I could help.” She sighed, then settled back into the chair, trying to find a position which was more comfortable. After a while she gave up. “Erestor, I think I should lie down for a while. I will look in on Ryn once more and then it would be great if we could go back to the inn – I will rest then.”

Amarie got up slowly, then went back to Ryn’s room and poked her head in. “Is everything all right in here?” she asked. Seeing with one glance that everything was fine. “Ryn, you should nurse about every two hours or else whenever the little one is hungry, but you need your rest, too – so try to sleep as much as you can. I will go and rest a little myself, but if you need me, send someone over to the inn to get me. I will check in on you later.” Then she looked at Glorfindel and smiled, “Take good care of them,” she said to him.

Erestor carefully guided Amarie back to the inn. She did still feel rather weak and when they had arrived there, she went to bed immediately, asking Erestor to look for some easily digestible food, like for example some broth. But when Erestor returned with a bowl, Amarie had already fallen asleep again, totally exhausted.
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 05:47
Honestly! What more could happen in a day? First Glorfindel got into a fight (of all things, at his age - not that he was old, of course, but he was supposed to be *wise*, wasn't he?), then Amarie left the scene abruptly, expecting Lante to carry her message over to Erestor. It was just as well that everyone had headed off to Glorfindel's place anyway.

Lante had to admit that Ryn's condition had been worrying. That had not, however, stopped her from sulking over Amarie's treatment of her. It wasn't fair that Ada loved her so much. And she did know that he loved Amarie. But she needed him too.

When Ailia had spoken, it had taken Lante some time to return to the world and start absorbing what she said.

“You had no idea what you were getting into,” the lecture continued, elven arrogance laced around kind words to sweeten the ears of contemptuous mortals, “How could you? However because of you Krev came looking, and the words from the dream returned. ‘The End of All Things,’ now tell me gallant and noble heroes, after hearing what I know and the motives behind the madness of Glorfindel Ingold now do you see what potent lies in those five simple words?’
‘Kind words for kind ears Skyla, that’s all your saying. Meaningless comfort, but necessary I deem it. If my brother is to tell us what he truly fears, to confirm what I suspect, then we must be ready. Whatever’s going on, none of us have ever seen anything like it before, and no amount of clever words is going to change that.”

The words meant little to her. Erestor had told her of the events that had happened, of course - he still told her that much, at least - but still their full meaning eluded her. 'The End of All Things' - a frightening phrase, but still no one knew what it truly meant. And because Lante had never had to experience much to do with it, she found it hard to understand the prophetic doom Ailia's words seemed laced with. The only clear thing was Ailia's strength of opinion, and her arrogance - or was it simply confidence in something she knew to be true? She was a convincing speaker.

And then Amarie had rushed out of the bedchamber. The twinge of concern she felt had quickly been squashed by the slightly bitter sadness Erestor's obvious concern evoked. She had followed him, somehow drawn towards seeing them together, but what she had heard after Amarie sat down again froze her.

“Don’t worry, love,” she whispered to Erestor so the others would not hear, “our little treasure is fine. And I am already feeling better. The past hours were just a bit much – but Ryn is so happy now… I am glad I could help.”

She had been standing so close, an onlooker might have thought she was part of the group, but she doubted that either of the two had noticed her. She should not jump to conclusions; she knew words could often be misleading; but she couldn't help it.

Lante was left standing in place, her face ashen, her mind working over-time, as the couple stood up and moved off.

[OOC: Hope that was okay! It's not an excuse, but I'm new here, so I hope any blunders can be forgiven.]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 11:31
Despite the comforting words of his friends Samen still felt that the blame was on him. He kissed Brenna and stood.

"Give Glorfindel my congratulations," he said. "I just need to step out for a while."

Brenna sighed and turned away. Her glare turned on Ailia. The elf had won her respect for her actions while they were in Rivendell, but what she had just said irritated the young rohirrim.

Samen walked away from the house and let his mind wander, trying to clear his head. As he gazed across the Rohirric planes he began to feel slightly sick. Somehow he smelled smoke and blood and was hearing sounds of screaming women and children. He shut his eyes and screamed for the images to stop and they did. No one was outside at this time so Samen kept walking but accidentaly bumped into a man in a black cloak.

"Sorry," mumbeled Samen as he walked past, not looking back on who he had hit.

The man just nodded at first. "No problem." He said as he continued on his way, before he suddenly stopped. He turned around to face Samen, and shook the cloak off to reveal he was quite young, with a shoulder length shock of white hair, and blue eyes. He seemed to hesitate for the briefest of moments, but then he grinned, toothily. "Hey, you're the elf's friend, aren't you?" He asked.

Samen turned back to the man. A silent warning went off in his head but he ignored it. It was probably just runoff from his little episode.

"That depends on who the Elf is..." said Samen.

The man seemed to think. "I'm not sure, it's a wierd elf name. I'm not much good with them. Glorgindal?" He looked at Samen questionally. "The one who killed a man today."

"Glorfindel..." Samen wispered. He put his hands on his hips, making sure the man could see the hilt of his sword.

"You have buisness with him?"

The man's smile grew slightly. "That's the one. In a way... I'm interested to know what an elf has to do in Rohan. There's some others here as well, aren't there?" The man's gaze slowly turned to something of suspicion. "What's a good man" - and was there a hint of emphasis on those two words? - "doing with associating with elves?"

"That's my buisness," said Samen drawing his sword. "What's yours?" If someone wanted Glorfindel he was going to make sure he had a good reason.

The man held up his hands in a pacifying mannar, stepping back slightly. "I didn't mean to offend you." He said. "I was just interested."

Samen sheathed his sword. "I'd avise you to leave Glorfindel alone," said Samen. "That course of action could get you killed."

The man shrugged. "I'm merely interested in the well being of my country." He said, and again there was a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"I seriously doubt that," said Samen. "You don't have a speck of royalty or sinceritiy about you."

"Well, at least I'm a little more subtle about my wenches." He said, leaning forward and plucking a long, blonde hair from Samen's coat.

Samen grabbed the mans wrist and held him with an iron grip. His teeth were clenched and his eyes had fire in them. "If you ever talk about Brenna like that again. I will break you in half with my bare hands."

The man pulled away. "Don't think you know everything about her." He said quietly. "I know things that she will never say to you. Tell her that Grey Coat sends his greetings." With that, he turned to walk away.

Samen watched the man walk off before he went back to where Brenna was. She was sitting where she had been.

"Brenna," he said, taking hold of her wrist. "I need to talk to you, alone."

Brenna looked up at him, surprised at the look on his face. She stood without question, letting him lead her. "What is it?"

Samen walked with her around the back of the house and looked around to make sure this "Grey Coat" wasn't around. He told Brenna the whole story. "... he told me to tell you that Grey Coat sends his greetings."

Brenna paled as he spoke, and closed her eyes briefly, trying to work out what was the best thing to do. Finally, she looked up at Samen, meeting his gaze briefly. "Samen... Oh, valar, I can't believe he's stupid enough to come back." She sighed and ran her hands through her hair. "I still owe you an explination, don't I?" She asked quietly. "He's part of that."

"I think it's time i heard the story," said Samen. "Look, let's go home and talk about this."

She nodded, but glanced back at the house. "I suppose we can see Ryn and Glorfindel in the morning... and it'd be better not to put this off any longer."

The two set off home together. Samen kept a watchfu eye on the homeward walk, with a hand on his sword.
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2006 12:31
Glorfindel slowly leaned forward, laying one finger on Ryn's gabbling lips.

"Typical," a broad smile spreading from ear to ear, "Why must you always question? After all I have put you though and all that she has put you through," he leaned forward and gently caressed the cheek of Kayla's sleeping form.

The young elfling stirred slightly and reached at tiny hand to enclose it around Glorfindel's thumb. For the merest drop of time, Glorfindel paused, and silenced by the tide of happiness which engulfed him. However, when lecturing Ryn, he scarely stopped long.

"You still think of others, so Lady Rynwyn of Fingolfin's House, I command you now to sleep long and fitfully, so as you have not done in years. Be content in the knowledge that you have brought such a treasure into my life that I would never do anything to threaten it. Not for all the wealth of a thousand kings," the last time such words were heard were in the depths of Moria, but these were born from love.

A love so deep that it would touch even the most embittered man and move him to weep. A love so strong that even the great arms of the Dark Lord could not rend it apart. A love so true that it could reach into the very depths of death and pluck back one who is so close to the Gates of Mandos. The love of Glorfindel for Ryn could make him do anything.

"Now," very slowly the finger was removed and he planted a tender kiss, "Sleep."

Caressing her cheek as he rose, Glorfindel conisdered the form which lay before him for a moment. He titled his head this way and that, before gingerly reaching down and taking the sleeping Kayla (who was still clamped onto thumb) and once more looked back at Ryn.

"See Kayla," he whispered to the sleeping child, "That's your mother. She loves you very much and I love her too, the most beautiful and wonderous, Rohirric Scruffbag of all."
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 23, 2006 09:51
((For all those who don't already know: I have a german student staying with me this week, so I don't know how often I'll get online. Oh, and, Mike, that was possibly the sweetest thing I've seen since... oh, thursday. :heart: ))

Brenna let Samen lead them back to the house. She noted his uneasiness and gently reached out and took his hand. "Don't worry, love." She said, quietly. "Cuan's stupid, but I don't think he's stupid enough to come back after that."

When they got home, Brenna sat Samen down by the hearth, before going to tend to the fire. Then she went into the kitchen for a few moments, reappearing with two glasses of wine, one of which she handed to Samen, wordlessly, as she sat down next to him.

For a while, they sat in silence, Brenna's eyes on the fire as she tried to gather her memories enough to make a coherent history. But her mind kept going back to when Samen had told her his tale, on the third day after they met, the afternoon after she had tried to kill him. She had been bewildered as to why he was trusting her; not being able to trust anyone herself meant that she didn't understand trust in others. He had missed somethings out that day: why he had joined the Blue Flame in the first place, little things like that, and Brenna wondered what were the little things she could miss out of her story.

And then she realised that she didn't want to. She wanted him to know and understand her, and she didn't want to be alone any more.

"I don't know where to start." She admitted after a while when the silence grew too oppressive. "I mean, I know the beginning is the best place, but which beginning? Do you want me to explain Cuan - Grey Coat - or just everything?" The question wasn't for Samen to answer, it was just Brenna trying to get herself started. "I guess it'd be better to get it all out with." She continued, half mumbling. "So I'll start at my beginning...

"I was born in Rohan. I'm sure you know that much. We - my family and I - were forced from our village when orcs started raiding again, before the War of the Ring. Within a summer after that, I ran away from home, going to Edoras, where I was taken in by Little Fire and Wolf. They taught me to fend for myself, to take what I needed and to fight, to use poisons. Grey Coat was one of us. When Little Fire and Wolf abandoned us, for some reason he became obsessed with me. He would try and impress me, try and court me, and so I just started to hide from him and all the others, until, I finally realised that I was old enough to travel alone without causing suspicion. So I left, and I thought that that would be the end of my time with them." Brenna paused for a moment and looked up at Samen to see his expression, but then just carried on. It was getting easier, now she had started.

"I made my way the only way I knew how, thieving and spying on anyone. One day I was set to gather information about a family from a village to the north, but I fell in love with the child of that family. They found out and accused me of witchery, caught me and were to have me burnt at the stake, but I freed myself and killed them all." Her face was impassive. "The one I loved was the first to die.

"After that, I started to sell myself for other things as well, and I began as an assassin." Again, she looked at him, briefly. "I think you'll understand when I say that I did not really feel. My heart was stone, I locked out emotion.

"And then, one day, emotion began to return. I don't know what slaying Reothed did to me, or maybe it was the response of Ryn and Glorfindel, and Fae and Hiligian and Earendel... I guess I won't know. All I know is, by the time we got out of their village, I could feel again.

"We ended up in Edoras - we discovered a plot to kill the king, behind which was Grey Coat - Cuan is his given name. The two of us fought, and I gained the mastery, but spared his life. I didn't want to kill him, again, I don't know why. I just couldn't. So I let him go. But I told the king - and the others - that he was dead. Kind of. I gave the name that he was going by, Hean. But they think he's dead. Ryn and Glorfindel, I mean. They think he's dead." Brenna hesitated.

"After that I just wandered. I couldn't kill any more, I had a hard time making a living. And then Aiden came, and it was to be the last killing, in return for giving everything up. But it was you."

EDITED FOR SPELLING

[Edited on 23/2/2006 by purplefluffychainsaw]
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 06:20
"I remember that part," said Samen, breaking his silence. He reached across the table and gripped her hand tightly.

"Are you scared?" Samen asked. "Scared that this man is back?"

"Not for myself," she said. "I'm scared for you. Cuan is going to want you dead Samen."

"Don't worry about me," Samen said. "If someone tried to hurt you, espiceally through me, they'll have a hard time at it."

"Don't underestimate him Samen," Brenna said. "Cuan's dangerous and he's not scared of much..." Samen stood up from the table and lifted Brenna from her chair and led her to the bed and laid her down on it. "He's smart... and... he'll try to..."

Samen kissed her. He stripped off his coat and climbed in the bed with her and began running his hands over her body, as two people in love will often do.

"Of course he will." said Samen. He then showed her he was not afraid.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 09:01
Glorfindel slowly leaned forward, laying one finger on Ryn's gabbling lips.

"Typical," a broad smile spreading from ear to ear, "Why must you always question? After all I have put you though and all that she has put you through," he leaned forward and gently caressed the cheek of Kayla's sleeping form.

The young elfling stirred slightly and reached at tiny hand to enclose it around Glorfindel's thumb. For the merest drop of time, Glorfindel paused, and silenced by the tide of happiness which engulfed him. However, when lecturing Ryn, he scarely stopped long.

"You still think of others, so Lady Rynwyn of Fingolfin's House, I command you now to sleep long and fitfully, so as you have not done in years. Be content in the knowledge that you have brought such a treasure into my life that I would never do anything to threaten it. Not for all the wealth of a thousand kings,"

"Now," very slowly the finger was removed and he planted a tender kiss, "Sleep."

Smiling silently at his words Rynwyn did as he said, resting her head against the pillow and closing her eyes. Her heart was swelling with such love that she felt it might burst, love for both her husband and the tiny baby in her arms. There were still those worries tickling her thoughts... what had happened outside, for instance... but there would be time to worry later. For now, she was exhausted- Almost at once she slipped into slumber, the last thing she noticed being Glorfindel taking Kayla from her arms. She didn't hear his last words, but if she had she would have returned them. Her love for him was the greatest thing she'd ever felt... he had her heart, and she was sure that he always would.

When she woke later- though she didn't know how much later- Glorfindel was still in the room with her, sitting in a chair and marveling over his daughter. Ryn watched them both in silence for a few moments, a sleepy smile touching her lips. There was a pair that would be suited perfectly to eachother, she thought... she could imagine Kayla running around at her father's heels once she was old enough, demanding to be held or that he play with her... and she could imagine him giving in every time.
"Has she cried at all, love?" Rynwyn asked, "She may be hungry."

The new mother, upon waking, was trying not to think about the days ahead. Still she didn't know the details of the soldier's death... but she was certain retribution would come sooner or later- and probably sooner. She didn't want to ask Glorfindel what had driven him to kill the man... though she was certain her beloved had a good reason, probably self defense. It was a matter she'd leave until he chose to bring it up...

Hiligan had peeked into the bedroom to see Rynwyn sleeping peacefully, and his brother-in-law holding the baby. He'd tip-toed over and beheld his neice, congratulating Glorfindel quietly before leaving the room again. The night was a long one as it dragged on... he stayed by the door, looking out the window into the night. He was waiting for someone to come knocking the door down any moment... and though Morwen (who'd insisted on staying over at her daughter's house as well, and was busy for a long while cleaning) pleaded with him to go to bed, he wanted to stay up as long as he could.

He didn't know when it would happen... but he was sure it would. Maybe someone had sent word to Edoras of the "crime".... and judgement would come directly from Eomer King. If that was the case Hiligan prayed that punishment wouldn't be harsh. Glorfindel had, after all, helped save the king's life, and done much more in service to Rohan... even so, that didn't lessen the man's worry. There was still the chance that the villagers would get fed up and decide to handle things themselves.

(hope this is ok... writing during school)

[Edited on 28/2/2006 by dreamdancer]
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 04:44
The white horse pub doors swung open, and a young man, tall and lanky, with shoulder length white blonde hair walked in, his long strides quickly passing the distance between the doors and the bar. He sat down on a stool there, dropping his green cloak from his shoulders and folding it onto his lap, to reveal that he was dressed in a pair of brown breeches with a long, green tunic, and he wore a heavy broadsword strapped to his back. Flicking his hair out of blue eyes, he fixed his gaze on the barkeeper, until the man turned round. There was a hint of suspicion in his eyes, until he recognized the newcomer as rohirric, even if he wasn’t local.

“What can I get you, sir?” The barkeeper asked, walking over to the man.

“Oh, cider, please.” The traveler replied, with a slight smile. “And information, if there’s any to be had here.”

“That’ll depend on what you want to know.” The barkeeper replied, as he turned round to get a mug.

“Just an explanation for the strange looks in the village. Why does everyone look so upset?”

The barkeep put the mug of cider down in front of the man and was rewarded with silver coin, which he caught out of the air easily, slipping it into a pocket. “Well, that’ll be because of Faeolaf. The elf – that is, one of the elves that came into the village – killed him, and no one seems to be sure if it was murder.”

The cold look in the barkeep told the man that he was certain, and wouldn’t need much persuasion. Without much thought, his face took on a shocked look, and he looked to meet the barkeeps gaze. “What is an elf doing here?”

“He took the daughter of Morwen to wife.” This time it was scorn in the barman’s eyes and the traveler had to hold back a smile.

“I don’t believe it! And he killed a man? Hasn’t the king been informed of it? Surely he would do something about murderous, traitorous fiends.” The man held back a slight sarcastic tone.

The barman seemed to think for a moment. “No… He hasn’t. But you’re right, he should be.” He hesitated for a moment longer, and the man watched the thoughts trying to gather in the barman’s eyes. “I’ll go and speak to Fellon. Faeolaf was his son, he should make the decision. But I know he will…”

The man nodded, and finished his drink in a long draught. “I’ll let you alone then, to do what needs to be done.”

“Thank you. What’s your name, friend?”

“Iago.” Cuan lied, fluently, rising.

“Fair fortune be with you, then, Iago.”

“And also with you.”

((Hope no one has a problem with any of this, but I thought it might give us a few more days to play with before for the midden hits the windmill. ))
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 09:02
Upon reaching their room at the inn, Amarie had just dropped onto the bed and fallen asleep instantly. When she woke up she was feeling a lot better and actually thought she might be able to hold some food. Slowly she got up and went to where Erestor was sitting.

"Hello my love," she said, "thank you for letting me rest. I feel much better and I am very hungry. What would you say to some lunch." She could see the relief in Erestor's eyes and after sharing a long kiss they went downstairs to get some food.

Amarie's appetite proved to be huge. With obvious amusement Erestor watched as she ate two bowls of stew, some bread and then managed to eat one main dish on top of that. When she was done Amarie smiled contentedly. "Well, " she remarked, "someone was obviously hungry," gently touching her belly.

"I should look in on Ryn and you my dear should talk to Lante. I saw the look on her face and she definitely will not share whatever bothers her with me." Amarie said in rising and kissed Erestor once more before leaving the inn.

She entered Ryn's room to find the young mother awake and nursing the child. Smiling she entered and asked Ryn who she was doing, but seeing with one glance that everything seemed to be fine. She told Ryn to eat something herself and was just about to sit down to talk some more when she felt the wonderful food from before trying to come out again. She sighed, excused herself and went to the bathroom.

(ooc: not a great post, but I hope it will do nonetheless)
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 03:04
[OOC: This is going to be a crap post, apologies, but Ally and I have major things to work out for the next one, heheh... Once RL clears up, that is. :banghead: Oh, and I'm assuming it's the day after already.]

He found himself almost unable to get to sleep that night. Now that Ryn's crisis was over there were several others all suddenly clamouring to be dealt with at once. First and forsemost in his mind was Lante. Erestor could feel little vestiges of guilt resurfacing to nag and gnaw away mercilessly at him as he realised he had not spoken much to his daughter at all the whole day, and he had been meaning to get to the bottom of the matter too. And he had left her alone to bring Amarie back to the inn. He had not thought much about that in his worry for Amarie, but now it was returning to him, and not in a nice way.

He heard Lante's footsteps in the corridor, on her solitary way back to her room. He half-rose, wanting to go out there now and speak with her, but then realised this was not one of the best times for such an action - it had been a long day. And he did not know what to say.

Sinking into the chair again, he found himself staring blankly at the book he had been reading, not really taking in anything...

A good few hours and the better part of the morning later he was startled from his book by a presence coming up behind him, but he was well aware who it was that glided up to the back of the chair, placing a pair of slender hands on his shoulders, and spoke softly in his ear.

"Hello my love," she said, "thank you for letting me rest. I feel much better and I am very hungry. What would you say to some lunch."

It was with great and rather obvious relief, as well as some amusement, that Erestor watched Amarie bolting down an uncharacteristically large amount of food. That was a good sign; he had heard that pregnant women could have notoriously huge appetites.

When she was done Amarie smiled contentedly. "Well, " she remarked, "someone was obviously hungry," gently touching her belly.

"I should look in on Ryn and you my dear should talk to Lante. I saw the look on her face and she definitely will not share whatever bothers her with me."

He sighed as he saw Amarie on the path to Ryn and Glorfindel's home once more. He just did not know where to start, where to come from. Nor had the girl been in a very good mood all day, from what he had seen. Almost three years apart had done something to their relationship, and he was not sure he liked it. It was almost as if she was consciously pulling herself away from him now. He had never seen her like that before,through all her years of growing up, but since she had come back from Gondor and found Amarie with him...

Still, he reasoned, things would not get better if he left them the way they were. In fact, if he did not do something major soon, they were headed down a long, slow, and slippery slope into near certain catastophe. And so it was that he set out to find Lante.

He did not have to go far. The girl was outside, round the back of Glorfindel's house, sitting with her back to the wall, hugging her knees gathered up to the chest under her skirts. She appeared deep in thought, and did not see his approach, but looked up at the sound of his footsteps on the soft, springy grass.

"Lante?" Erestor lowered himself onto the ground beside her...

[OOC: And the little cogs jerk into motion and the wheel starts shuddering...]

[Edited on 3/3/2006 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 02:06
Rumours ran like streams through mountain glens, in and out of every alley and house of the village. Ailia could almost feel the suspense in the air, as she squatted on the hillside high above the village. Far out into the West, the Gap of Rohan was obscured by the blood soaked sun sinking back into the very depths of the outer Void. Nearer too, the torch brackets were being kindled, sending firefly sparkles up from the dusk ridden fields below.
Nothing moved accross that darkening wasteland, but one group. Horseman riding hard from Edoras, still a number of leagues away, but Ailia Ingold new they were there. Whilst the others rested she would watch them, for who else would?

It would be worthy of note that Glorfindel had once again fallen back into the realms of thought, so lost as he was, staring into his daughters eyes. So enraptured was he, that when the time came for Ryn to ask for her, as he well knew she would he could not be help but be slightly berived from little Kayla. Alas, however, as finely tuned as her mother into his moods, she had been fussing so (more because he felt the actual need of it, over a want) he relinquished her.

No sooner he done so, than he sank onto the chair, nearest the fire, the site of so many astral wonderings and was lost into the darkness of sleep. Here in there were the lurking doubts of his days events, and so he went every night to confront them.

As sure as the sun rises, tonight was no different.

To see those green eyes widened with fear, to know that the end of his miserable existance would soon come, it was terrifying to him. It reduced him to a blubbering mess, a shadow of his former self. Such a pathetic, loathsome creature had he become that it would have shamed his felllows to see him thus.

And Glorfindel loved every minute of it.

He deserved to die and so he would.

Had. He had died, and so many others.

Harsh situations breed harsh realities and Glorfindel knew all too well that what had happened with Faeolaf had and would happen again. In his single minded fixation upon defence he had really gone on the offensive. Such actions had cost a young man his life.

Cause and effect, no action without consequence. No matter how fanicfully you dressed those words it all meant the same thing. He would have to deal with consequences, on all accounts.

The book lay before him on the table. Simple, plain, inconspicious, like so many things which hide darker truths. For the fact of the matter is that Glorfindel knew a great deal more about the present predicament than even Cuan, his friends or Ryn could guess, however how to harness that knowledge? That would have to be left to be seen.

"Amarie," not even bothering to look up from the shadey corner where he sat, Glorindel delivered a sudden a blunt order to the she-elf, "Desist in medaling with my family for five minutes and bring Erestor, Samen and Skyla to me now."

The words fell onto silence, a silence which allowed deeper reflection upon the tone and manner in which they had been delivered. The sheer bluntness of that order, even one delivered to a friend? Why should he feel need to exert his rank? When had that accursed title ever played anything but notes of discord inside of his mind?

Ever there was also the need for question? Who? How? When? WHY? WHY? That last one burned like a the hot pokers of Morgoth's tormenters, those who sought to undo. They who dwelt inside of you.

He must see them, and, as dictated by nocturnal ritual, he crossed to the looking glass to see what would confront him. Now as nights before he saw something which he did recognised, and yet held the vaguest hints of familiarity, but this was not in the mind. The reflection before him was one of raven black hair hair, of tall and proud bearing and a pallid skin with saphire eyes, the eyes which have seen a light surpassing all others.

The figure of Salleth Ingold, his father, one who had not crossed Glorfindel's mind for eons of now. He stood there, as Glorfindel always had seen him, clad in bright mail, girded with sword, brilliant helm and shield blazing in the youthful sunlight, a symbol of everything Glorfindel had despised, everything which threatened his happiness and life, and which he now fought for or had.

The figure before him was the one which had been seen that same morning he had left for battle and not come back. That same morning it had all begun.

And from out of the mists of ages, from times even the very earth itself could barely remanise since it's terrible remaking, came those words from the childhood of one who lost their youth and buried it deep.

"You know of the time and oath you must swear to me Glorfindel Ingold, to guard againist the actions and deeds of the enemy. To guard your Lady and mother and sister from harm, to uphold the rightful name of the Lords of Middle-earth and all Free Peoples and obey our Lords will."

A meager voice, so small and quiet that it could barely even be heeded from such a distance.

"My lord and father, as long as we have you, we are invinicible."

A scornful laugh, one mocking the impetiousness of youth and about to deliver the same crushing blow to those blissful ideals.

"I will not come one day, and you are most certainly not invincible. Do not think that you will not one day meet your death the same as I, but when you do, you will meet it with pride and honour, as I will with mine. Even if you should out live all mortal skirmishes, the greatest battle of all comes at the End of All Things. In that you will lose everything my son."

There is lay, at the route of it all, the words of a father to his son. However, Glorfindel was not the only one to bear witness. For Ryn heard this delivered in voices which were not her husband's own, the voice of a father in law she never knew and a young elfling who too had vanished in ages gone by. In the very instance before he was pulled back to waking, Glorfindel raised his hand as if straining to reach something beyond his grasp, but as with all the others reality shifted in and he found himself once more in the room.

However it was not all over, for in the distance, could be heard the approachign sound of justice, mounted a host of steeds riding to confront one who they thought to be an ally. Glorfindel merely stood up and retrieved the Book from the table in front of him, before walking over to the bed and standing at the foot of it, merely staring at Ryn and Kayla.

"I think it's time," he merely said.

[Edited on 4/3/2006 by LoremasterMiar]
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 06:41
[OOC: Joint post between Siri and myself!]

Lante looked up from her lengthy interior monologue to find one of the first and last people she wanted to see right now.

She sighed. "Yes, Ada?"

Erestor's brow furrowed at the rather cool tone of voice she was using. The hostility was barely masked, with a strong undertone of cold fury.

"What is it bothering you?"

He knew it sounded terribly insincere, but he really could some up with no more, and the girl did not seem ready to say anything anytime soon.

"I know she's pregnant." Lante didn't bother mincing words. They should have told her earlier... Although that probably wouldn't have changed anything. She sighed again.

"Go back and take care of her, will you? I'm sure she needs you more than I do right now."

He was silent for a long while, mind suddenly reeling. How on the whole of Arda could she have known?

The hurt was evident too in Lante's barbed attack, and that more than any accusation of negligence went straight to Erestor’s heart.

"Lante... We were going to tell you... just... just that Ryn's problem cropped up first. And when did I ever give you the impression I cared more for Amarie than I did for you?" he felt lame saying it, but it was the truth. Most of the truth, anyway.

Valar, he felt so… stupid right now. Unable to explain himself because obviously all his reasons would be all the wrong reasons to Lante, and indeed some had been the wrong decisions, but he had gone through with them anyway because they seemed like the best option in everyone’s interests. All the “buts”, all the little “what ifs” were flooding back in droves to haunt him.

And they were backfiring so badly. In seeking to prevent certain “what ifs”, these very “what ifs” were coming right at him, and worse than he had imagined they could avoid.

He couldn't possibly have thought that was a decent excuse. She was becoming steadily more disbelieving. Could he possibly think that Rynwyn's "problem" - what, labour? - was what prevented him from telling her about this? How long did he think he needed to at least inform her of this development?

It wasn't like he needed to tell her all about how their relationship had developed in order to do that. Though come to think of it, it hurt that he had never taken the time to speak to her about that, until this had happened.

"I never said that, ada. And it doesn't take very long to tell me. Try this: Lante, Amarie's pregnant."

He found himself raising an eyebrow almost involuntarily, and shook his head, conceding. He opted to tell her outright. It was indeed true - he had been hiding *quite* a bit from her...

"Edaved-im. I did not know how you would take it."

"It doesn't matter." Lante fingered a blade of grass. He didn't know how she would take it?

Then, she looked straight at him. "It is simply disturbing to be forced to realise that your beloved father is engaging in activities more suited to your own age group."

She didn't really want to hurt him. Not really.

Ai Eru! *Now* he felt himself actually flushing. But… activities more suited to *her* age group?

He met her gaze, dark orbs locked onto bright green ones. The past weeks had not been easy for Lante either, and it showed in the over-brightness of her eyes and the subtle shadows beneath them.

"I never meant to disturb you. It is a natural thing..." he said quietly. "Let us just say it comes later in some, particularly among the elves. Surely you would have known by now"

Really, he truly regretted never having had one of those "birds and the bees" talks with her, as Elrond used to put it. He could see why the other had sent Arwen to be raised by Celeborn and Galadriel. But he had never really known how to raise a child. Lante had just… come along and strange fate had thrown the both of them together, and even now there were several things he worried he should or should not have done.

"Indeed." Her eyes dropped back down to the grass again. "It doesn't matter. I will leave for Gonder eventually, will I not? After the birth, probably, which is in I-have-no-idea-how-long, since the babe will be my...well, sister."

"Do not worry about me. There are those with whom I have built strong relationships in Gondor."

That was not strictly true, but Erestor didn't need to know that. She had enough acquaintances, at least. She was not without friends in Gondor. She just couldn’t let him know that he was the one emotional anchor she had; the only person who really mattered in her life. She couldn’t give him that.

There. It was out.

Erestor stared, agape, half in horror and half in a strange feeling he could not quite identify…

There was a lot of surprise there. She had never mentioned it.

Oh, the irony.

Was this her idea of payback?

Was it true?

She seemed in almost deadly earnest, but then… she had always been pretty good at masking her emotions.

But the idea that she had been… making out was not half as disturbing as the idea she had never thought to tell him about it. Now *that* arrow went in deep.

“You never thought to tell me, even then?” now Erestor’s voice was deadly quiet. In sadness or anger, it was hard to tell, but it was that kind of quiet that sends a chill down one’s spine and echoes frostily in crowded rooms. “You were alone in Gondor, and you’ve just been… cavorting, without any thought for the consequences…”

Words hung, heavy and unsaid, in the air between them.

Lante was silent for a while. That hurt. But then, she deserved it. Forcing a light tone, she said, "You were busy."

Then she ripped the grass to shreds.

“You were busy.”

The words fell on Erestor’s ears like a death knell, tolling a lament for all the damage this whole situation was causing.

”And you thought I would be too busy to pay you much attention.”

Stiff, emotionless. He forced his face into some semblance of composure, closed his eyes and turned away.

“You thought.” He said again, the words coming out harsher and colder than intended. “You thought for a moment that I would prefer negotiating petty treaties with pettier Sindar nobles to hearing what you were getting up to, or did you think you were better off navigating such complex affairs of the heart on your own?”

And then, almost inaudible, as if he was half-hoping Lante would not catch wind of his turmoil.

“What have I done to make you think so?”

"Nothing. It doesn't matter. Maybe I enjoyed 'cavorting, without any thought for the consequences' without you meddling. Maybe you weren't a prime candidate to go to for advice, since 'it comes later in some, particularly among the elves'. But we were talking about how you find your daughter so difficult to talk to, that it takes too long to tell her anything of importance."

It was a very wrong move. Erestor seemed to have suddenly decided he was an ice-sculpture rather than an elf.

“Yes indeed. It is not hard to find one’s daughter difficult to talk to when she has decided to distance herself so. Perhaps *others* might give better advice, especially when they have known her less than half a decade rather than all her life.”

Once again, Erestor found his old defence mechanisms taking over. Strike or be struck. Never mind that it was his own child he was speaking to, or that the more rational part of him was hammering at the door of insanity, begging and threatening at turns to be let in. He would regret it later, he knew, but he felt almost utterly helpless beneath it all.

Bad move and worse countermove. "You have not known me all my life. Do not even try to pretend that you have! We both know better."

Lante's face was impassive. "Would you like to discuss the birth of your own flesh and blood now? Or shall we save that for another day?"

“Or maybe,” Erestor was almost venomous now, to all appearances. “You’d try to go back to those who had you before, then?”

Valar, he regretted the words the second they left his mouth.

They were staring at each other in total disbelief now. Disbelief at the things they were saying, at the dirty barbs they were hitting each other so accurately with, and cursing the way neither was willing to back down from such a petty argument.

And still no respite seemed forthcoming.
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 11, 2006 05:27
Brenna woke to the firce light of the sun rise in her eyes. With a slight smile on her face, despite the early hour of the day, she detangled herself from Samen's embrace, and placed a gentle kiss on his brow, glad to see him looking so serene.

She dressed herself in the dress that was laying on the floor where it had been abandoned the night before. As she turned to make her way downstairs, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, and froze, captured by her own gaze.

Brenna didn't recognize the woman that she saw in the mirror.

She closed her eyes for a moment. What was happening to her? Was she taking on another role, just trying to be the perfect wife? Brenna looked at herself again for a moment, trying to think, trying to work out the best thing to do...

And then, suddenly, she smiled again, deciding, as she usually did, in an instant. Brenna padded back over to the cupboard and pulled out her old clothes, changing quickly into them. Smiling, and humming happily to herself, she padded out of the house, into town and too the market, buying what she needed and then returning to the house, sitting down beside the bed and begining to braid the brightly coloured ribbons and beads she had purchased into her hair.

When Samen stired and started to wake, she finished putting the last braid in, before turning to him, leaning over him to wake him with a kiss. "Good morning, love." She said, as her hair cascaded over both of them like a curtain, a slightly wicked grin on her face. "Were you planning on sleeping the whole day away?"
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 01:12
"I was if you were still in bed with me but it seems your dressed already."

Samen got out of bed and dressed in the usualy black pants but wore a dark green shirt instead of a black one.

"Exploring colors I see." Brenna said kissing him.

"Anything but blue if it'll make you happy."
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 16, 2006 09:11
When Ryn had taken Kayla to feed her, awed again by the beauty of the precious baby in her arms, she’d seen Glorfindel sink into the chair. He was exhausted too, the new mother could imagine… and why shouldn’t he be?

Amarie came in and asked Ryn how she was doing, to which she didn’t really know how to reply- but before she could, the half-elf excused herself from the room. It seemed that she didn’t hear Glorfindel’s request… and Ryn didn’t say anything, only watching as her husband gave into his fatigue.

Amarie returned before long, still looking rather green. Although Rynwyn told her that she should go home and take some rest, the elleth was insistent on helping… and while the newborn continued to nurse, the women talked softly (so as not to disturb Glorfindel, who’s sleep didn’t look particularly restful.). When Kayla was finished, there was other business to see to… and, resting the now-sleeping infant in a basket of clothes (since the cradle was not finished yet) Amarie helped Rynwyn to climb out of bed, get cleaned up and change into a clean night-dress. She also changed the sheets on the bed, despite the fact that new mother protested.
Finally, wearied from merely getting up and bathing, Rynwyn got back into the bed and ate the food that Morwen brought in to her. When Glorfindel started mumbling in his sleep, the older woman and the elleth excused themselves. Before Amarie went Ryn embraced her.
“Thank you, Amarie,” she said softly and sincerely, “I don’t know what I would have done without you.”

Kayla was back in her arms and Ryn had been dozing against the headboard for some time when her husband started talking more clearly. She watched him, listening with confusion and worry… the voice issuing from his mouth sounded nothing like him. She could only guess that he was having another bad dream, though she couldn’t really figure out what it was about.

However it was not all over, for in the distance, could be heard the approachign sound of justice, mounted a host of steeds riding to confront one who they thought to be an ally. Glorfindel merely stood up and retrieved the Book from the table in front of him, before walking over to the bed and standing at the foot of it, merely staring at Ryn and Kayla.

"I think it's time," he merely said.

“For what?” She asked worriedly; her ears were not the ears of elves, and she hadn’t heard the approach of the riders who were still a good distance away. The somber look on his face and the fact that he was –once again- holding the accursed book in his hands was enough to scare her. The worry about what had happened with the soldier came back to her, and she swallowed the lump in her throat, unable to think of anything to say. The morning was upon them without, and after a few minutes a horn sounded, signaling that the villagers had spotted the riders.

Kayla woke from her contented sleep abruptly and began to cry loudly, though alarmed by the horn or by the worry radiating from her mother couldn’t be told. Ryn sought to comfort the child, but her eyes never left Glorfindel.

---------------------------

Hiligan had dozed off as well, but now he was awake and standing at the door, looking out. Inwardly he was praying that Eomer’s judgment would be merciful. He knew the king wouldn’t let Glorfindel get away with what he’d done… it wouldn’t be wise or fair, but the elf was too important- to Rohan, to Arda, and to the people who loved him- and had done too much for Eomer to be punished with death. At least, Hiligan hoped so…

Biting his lip, he walked to the bedroom door and knocked softly, pushing it open and peeking in. He could see his sister looking distraught as she tried to calm the crying baby. By Glorfindel’s expression and stance he could guess that the elf didn’t need to be ‘told’ of what was coming…. So he simply said, “Now may be the time for farewells,” before leaving them to their privacy, while they still had it.

(sorry it took me so long, and hope this is ok! I’ve not been very inspired for *any* threads lately *siiigh*)
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 26, 2006 02:17
Brenna smiled, and leant against him for a moment, contentedly. "Thanks." She said softly. They stood like that for a couple of minutes, Samen's arms around Brenna's waist, Brenna leaning against him, her hand resting on his. Then Brenna sighed and pulled away, turning to face him. "Come on. We're yet to give our congratulations to the proud new parents." She grinned mischieviously, and grabbed Samen's hand, running out of the room.

Brenna lingered for a moment by the door to allow Samen to put his boots on, but then grabbed him again, dancing off, her bare feet padding in the dirt as she lead him on to Rynwyn and Glorfindel's house. She laughed as she pulled him along, the sunlight glinting in her hair, and the beads clacking together as she moved.

Then, abrubtly, she stopped, the smile vanishing, as she saw the crowd in the centre of town. "No... They wouldn't..." She whispered. Brenna's grip on Samen's hand tightened, as she pulled him away again, running full pelt to Ryn's house, and then knocking loudly on the door, shifting from one foot to the other uneasily, as she waited.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2006 03:19
Elemak was still on the hill as the King's guards crowded around the house where Glorfindel was staying. He saw Samen and Brenna both going in as a royal guard began knocking on the door of the house, demanding entrance.

"Not good," said Elemak as he headed down into town, staying just out of sight. "Not good."
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 03:42
“If you could only know the agony it causes me to see that expression,” Glorfindel whispered hoarsely, tears welling up, “If you could only understand how much it tortures me to know that I’m letting you down, again. Please Ryn, do not stand there and play the part of the innocent, you know what I speak of. Since the day we met you have known of my other life, this realm of duality in which I am entrapped, the legacy of the Curse of Mandos lives on in my veins. For insolence of my forebears I must carry this burden which they fell trying to defend, because of their rebellion a price had to be paid. A price to match the debt of blood spilt on both sides.’

‘In ages gone by, the one who sought to hold the greatest beauty of all to himself, but the lust for what they were denied. You know of what happens, how from the moment I entered into this Middle-earth I was thrust into the middle of a blood feud by those who should have mentored and shielded me. You know of how I have strived to break away, to be free, to shape my own destiny, but every time an evil arises a good must be there to meet it.’

‘The words spoken by our comrades, our friends back in Rivendell were true, they don’t know how to carry on and they don’t want to carry on. For them the Road ends here and now, to grow old in peace and quiet then to leave this world in whatever manner or fate befalls them. For us…for me something else is there, something which still drives me ever onward down that Road, past the twilight of my people, even past yours until the very End of All Things. That one fact is clear, from all the madness and the pain, it has to be me.’

‘Please, I would implore you, for I love you more than any merely worldly comparison, so much that the heavens themselves are dulled and the brilliant eyes of the Lady Varda are but dwindling embers, not to ask me why. As, my dearest Rynwyn, you know that too, if it does not end with me then it will continue, as a pox upon our family to our little girl. She would take up this iron weight, as I did from my father and him from his. She would be forever bound to fulfil to a malevolent craving from a time and age which should have faded long ago. That I could not bear, but if you wish it of me, lady of my heart, I will stay, as know my own deepest yearning is, here with you, and fight even single guard until my blade is hewn and the ground runs red with my own blood.’

‘But lady, you know my mind better than any, and all I have ever done, whether it be misguided or not, I have done for, what I judged to be your best. From here Ryn you can make it without me, you can carry on. For my part I am still caught in the past, held back by shadows of former deeds and shades as yet unknown. For you I would do anything, but for the sake of Kayla I will do yet much more.”

(ooc: Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I wanted to get this just right.)

[Edited on 4/4/2006 by LoremasterMiar]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 19, 2006 06:13
“If you could only know the agony it causes me to see that expression,” Glorfindel whispered hoarsely, tears welling up, “If you could only understand how much it tortures me to know that I’m letting you down, again. Please Ryn, do not stand there and play the part of the innocent, you know what I speak of. Since the day we met you have known of my other life, this realm of duality in which I am entrapped, the legacy of the Curse of Mandos lives on in my veins. For insolence of my forebears I must carry this burden which they fell trying to defend, because of their rebellion a price had to be paid. A price to match the debt of blood spilt on both sides.’

‘In ages gone by, the one who sought to hold the greatest beauty of all to himself, but the lust for what they were denied. You know of what happens, how from the moment I entered into this Middle-earth I was thrust into the middle of a blood feud by those who should have mentored and shielded me. You know of how I have strived to break away, to be free, to shape my own destiny, but every time an evil arises a good must be there to meet it.’

‘The words spoken by our comrades, our friends back in Rivendell were true, they don’t know how to carry on and they don’t want to carry on. For them the Road ends here and now, to grow old in peace and quiet then to leave this world in whatever manner or fate befalls them. For us…for me something else is there, something which still drives me ever onward down that Road, past the twilight of my people, even past yours until the very End of All Things. That one fact is clear, from all the madness and the pain, it has to be me.’

‘Please, I would implore you, for I love you more than any merely worldly comparison, so much that the heavens themselves are dulled and the brilliant eyes of the Lady Varda are but dwindling embers, not to ask me why. As, my dearest Rynwyn, you know that too, if it does not end with me then it will continue, as a pox upon our family to our little girl. She would take up this iron weight, as I did from my father and him from his. She would be forever bound to fulfil to a malevolent craving from a time and age which should have faded long ago. That I could not bear, but if you wish it of me, lady of my heart, I will stay, as know my own deepest yearning is, here with you, and fight even single guard until my blade is hewn and the ground runs red with my own blood.’

‘But lady, you know my mind better than any, and all I have ever done, whether it be misguided or not, I have done for, what I judged to be your best. From here Ryn you can make it without me, you can carry on. For my part I am still caught in the past, held back by shadows of former deeds and shades as yet unknown. For you I would do anything, but for the sake of Kayla I will do yet much more.”

Ryn didn’t know what to say as she continued to try and calm Kayla, not sure that she could do much of *anything* if Glorfindel was to be taken from her… Getting to her feet as the baby quieted, she gently rested her on the bed (between two pillows to keep from possibly moving) and then pulled her husband into her arms. She buried her face against his chest silently, unable to find her voice. She could carry on without him… but she didn’t want to! She didn’t want to raise their daughter without him! They’d already been through too much… but neither did she want him to risk death for her sake. It would be better for him to be elsewhere, alive, than to be with her in death. Maybe the king wouldn’t be too harsh in his judgment….

Sighing, and swallowing the lump in her throat she looked up at him sadly, her expression telling him that she wouldn’t ask him to stay.
“I love you,” she sighed, and drew him down for an almost desperate kiss, not wanting to let go of him ever again… and when she pulled away she looked to their daughter, who was wiggling a bit on the bed. Not releasing her hold on the love of her life she walked them over to the bed and watched silently while Glorfindel said ‘goodbye’ to Kayla, though she was inwardly praying that it wouldn’t be the last time he saw them. If Rynwyn had been able she’d have gone with him, wherever he was taken… but she couldn’t. Not only had she only just given birth the day before, but she had a child to care for….

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the knock on the door Hiligan cringed, but pulling it open and seeing Brenna and Samen, he ushered them in.
“They’re still inside,” the man commented, jabbing his thumb at the bedroom door, “I don’t think there’s anything to be done….”

(sorry it took so long, and hope this is ok… )
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2006 12:11
There are moments in one’s life in which one is aware of the significance. I don’t mean the importance of one issue or the consequences of a conversation or ramifications of a raucous. The mere point of a single event in which you are centre, something you say or did, I mean you are aware of everything. There is a moment where all you are aware of is the outcome, the outcome of something you have done and how much it will affect others. In these points of time, these merest fragments of the cosmos you feel woven in the fabric of the universe itself, bound to the powerful threads of Fate and Time. It is these that will pull you down a course, a path in life you would rather not go on, away from everything and one you hold dear.
The significance you awaken to is you are not in control of this route, you know not where it will lead you, if that line will carry you through or it will be cut short. For Glorfindel such a route laid before him now. However dear reader, as you well know by now, this is one factor in his life which has become something of a habit. Please believe me when I say, I use “something” in its loosest possible sense.
From here the path once again dwindled into shadow, for without another word, Glorfindel kissed little Kayla on the cheek and letting go of Ryn’s hand for the final time, he left the room. Outside, as he expected, he came face to face with the fearful gazes and glares of family and friends. Again, nothing was said, save for silent exchanges of gaze with those tired sapphire eyes.
His blade and gear were already by the door, an expectant portent of wild roaming in little trod places. Ceremony being paramount, the participant donned robes of faded grey, patched and worn, before moving past Samen. Here there came a moment of pause, in which both held the other’s gaze, but something was forced into the man’s hands. Faded battered leather cover and peeling parchment pages, a book. Not just any book, THE Book, the Book which had reduced Glorfindel to such a base act as to heartlessly take a life. The Book which held a cryptic clue of such gargantuan proportions that (unbeknownst to our gallant heroes) it held the reason behind so much strive, not merely their own.
From here it may be judged a factor of spite that Glorfindel chose to hand it Samen that talisman of terror, but that, as with all things boils down to a point of view. The answer never came for Glorfindel was gone, taken by those errand rider, gone to Edoras, to answer to the King for his crimes.
Walkers_Shade
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2006 11:56
And samen followed. He took the book from Glorfindel and stowed in his bag and said his good-byes to Brenna and Ryn.

"Listen, I'm going with Glorfindel," he said to her. "Ryn, I promise that I am going to bring him back, you can hold me to that." Then he turned to Brenna. "Brenna I hate to do this to you, but I have to go. I owe Glorfindel too much and I'm not going to let him rot in a cell for the rest of his life. I have to do this."

"I know," she said. She grabbed him and kissed him deeply. "Come back soon."

"I will," he said. "I love you."

Samen went outside and mounted his horse. He galloped after the escort that was carrying his friend away. If Eomer wanted Glorfidel dead... well he'd have to go through Samen first, and that didn't happen.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email