Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
Post The Mutual Appreciation Thread!
on: January 12, 2006 11:47
Do you have a fanfic, piece of artwork or anything else you want to show off?

Post the link here for everyone to take a look at it!

I'm moving all of the other threads that do this into this one, so if you can't find a thread you started about your fanfic or art, that's probably why

[Edited on 13/1/2006 by Elioclya]

EDIT: This thread is now for showing and feedback on non-Tolkien themed drawing, painting, and sketches. For fanfiction, please go to the Fanfiction and Poetry forum.

[Edited on 25/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Mutual Appreciation Thread!
on: January 12, 2006 11:48
hey everone, recently i've delved into my Irish heritage trying to learning everything cause i love it all, i'm currently learning irish but as well my love of art has caused me to gain an interest in celtic designs and knotwork, here's my VERY first attempt at a design i made myself (you can even see my initials in the pic SDD, take into consideration i've had no practice at these sort of designs and it took me only 5 minutes, i'm very proud, comments, praise, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

(click the link under the image to see a very big close up ^_~ )

(click the link under the image to see a very big close up ^_~ )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/chefbudum/celt.jpg

*please tell me what you think, and also i made another design last night which i think looks VERY cool that i shall post as soon as i get home from school in a few hours!*

[Edited on 9/7/2004 by Náredhil]

Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:49
hey Nar! I loves it! ive tried many a time at celtic patterns and have failed miserably.....but then again, some people got and some people dont hAhA
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:50
hehe, thanks LOTRgeek! because you're so nice i did another one!

here's my second creation, i was just doodling and this just came to my mind, i get inspiration randomly, lol, but it took a little more time than my first pic, the lined paper remains, and i'm not sure if i like it as much but i've heard good comments from my friends, lets see what you think!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/chefbudum/tutle.jpg

hehe, i realized later that i like it because it kinda looks like two turtles pulling away from (what i think looks like a crab or a sun in the middle, i just thought it was pretty neat)

*thanks!*

glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:51
wow, you're good. now and then I can draw knots (like you say, random inspiration), but yours are really GOOD. One thing I might suggest is to retrace it or redo it on unlined paper, and try to make them a bit neater. But I **love** your ideas!
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:51
WOW. i'm so happy with the compliments i have recieved on both my pics from this and other forum sites, people actually like my work, i guess my choice in being Head of Aulë was worth it, lol. thanks for all the compliments, critique, and suggestions everyone, i'll try and find some inspiration for a new pic.

Sláinte (irish goodbye)
Baineth_Iell_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:52
All I can say is, "wow." there just aren't words to describe. I've tried many times to draw something like that, but... No such luck. I'm Irish, and .... ..... WOW.
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:53
Hey Naredhil ... I love those those !!!...Gets the Irish blood stirring just looking at them

Maybe you should do them in colour next

atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:53
Ooooh lovely! Now do you want me to really picky about how to make them better??? Well, perhaps I will ...

Try doing them in squared paper, graph paper or drawing a grid on plain paper. Lines need to be straight, or if not exactly straight, at least consistently not straight Celtic design - especially knotwork - is very much about regularity and pattern repeats.

Now - you may well be perfectly happy with the way your knotwork intertwines, but there are several areas where it doesn't fit in with classic Celtic knotwork. If you look at the 2nd design, you can see a good number of places where a thread goes under *2* other threads before going over a thread. Really, you need to go over - under - over - under etc.

If you want any more help, let me know

Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:54
hehe, thanks for the constructive criticism atalante, i didn't think this topic would surface to the light again, lol. Like i said, these designs were just doodles when i was really bored but i'm planning to do some more using more professional preparations like those you suggested. Also i just wanted to say that your pictures, atalante, were pretty much the inspiration that inspired me to start these, they were so awesome!
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:55
Thank you :blush: I should have seen this before but for some reason I haven't looked into the Creations Forum for a bit :dizzy:

Anyway, as I said, just let me know if you've got any questions or whatever and I'll do my best to help
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:55
Good job! I don't know anything about Celtic designs or drawing, but those look beautiful to me. (The best thing I drew was a picture of an elf who will remain unnamed that ended up looking exactly like Elrond for some reason. )
ElavielEvenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:23
Ahh thank you all. I wasn't expecting so many nice comments, and no bad ones!!

I've found a silversmithing course in London so I'll definitely be going on that, so maybe one day I can make a crown with the wings!

I'm next going to attempt Galadriels crown, Legolas' crown and a simpler version of Celeborns necklace. (Much simpler!)

I made this necklace, you might like to see, before I made the crown, it was generally inspired by Arwens butterfly theme that she seems to have.

http://www.warofthering.net/photoforum/data/500/3522ArwenNecklace.jpg

My aim at the end of all this isn't to have LOTR themed jewellery scattered around my house with no where to go, I do hope to sell some... but thats a while off! I'm only an ammeter

Thank you all again Your kind words are very encouraging!
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:24
I'm actually surprised that you made that beautiful necklace. I agree with LadyLegolas113, it all seems like a lot of fun. I would love to learn to make things like that.

Keep up the good work.
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:25
Those are really nice pieces! Be sure and let us know if you decide to sell. *grins*
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:26
I agree with Nyérëven. Do tell us if you do sell your wonderful creations. Oh, don't forget to show us your great progress as well.
Ithiliell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:28
Those are beautiful. You have some real talent.
ElavielEvenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:29
Thank you :blush:
The crown is just sitting in my room at the moment. I haven't worked on it for a while because I was starting to go off it (an artist is always critical of their work) So Im going to leave it and come back to it. My flaw with it is that I feel it looks unproffesional. I know I'll never acheive something amazing or something that could pass off as official looking, but little bits and bobs of the crown are annoying me (e.g. not so neat ends, joints, the beadings a nightmare)
However! It is only my first draft! Can't expect something sellable so soon!
I may just attempt Legolas' crown in the meantime, or one I saw on the extended dvd (on the costume section of the DVD, when talking about Arwens coronation dress, it shows them filming her 'appearing' to aragorn scene, and the dark haired elf to the right has a wonderful crown for the back of the head! Look it up if you've got the time!!!!)

I really can talk some mumble can't I?
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:30
You're welcome.

Well, I know that I can't expect it to be perfect if it's your first draft. But, if you keep at it then you will achieve making it beauitful and professional looking as well.
ElavielEvenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:31
Ok so I made a few crowns since this attempt and they did pretty well on eBay, so well infact I've decided to set up my own website (www.elvenjewels.com). I haven't finished the site yet so it's not up, but you can see a draft for it here.

Anyway the reason for this post is, I've made a few other crowns but I finally gave another go at the Arwen one.

Heres a few pictures of it:

It hasn't got a butterfly back because I'm in a routine of making crowns so they are adjustable to fit most head sizes. I may attempt ones with butterflys on the back, but only if someone requested it I guess.

Oh and if it interests any of you, this crown is currently on auction at eBay (very naughty of me to say that, I know!)

Image Image Image Image Image Image

RainBow
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:32
ElavielEvenstar, this crown is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Vlad_Rex
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:52
This is a parody I made...I'm not sure if it should go here or not...o well...

to the tune of "When Johnny comes marching home"

When Ugluk comes marching home again, hurrah, hurrah
We'll give him a hearty welcome then, hurrah, hurrah
The Uruks will cheer and the orcs will shout,
The wargs will howl and run about,
And we'll all feel fey when Ugluk comes marching home.

All Isengard will shout for joy, hurrah, hurrah
To welcome home our darling boy, hurrah, hurrah
Old Saruman will be standing there,
A staff in his hand and a scowl so fair

Get ready for the Jubilee, hurrah, hurrah
We'll give the hero man's flesh to eat, hurrah, hurrah
The great White Hand is ready now
To be tatooed on his loyal brow

Let war and pillaging on that day, hurrah, hurrah
Their choicest spoils there display, hurrah, hurrah
And let each one perfrom some part
To feel with joy the warrior's heart
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:54
The right place for this would be Celeborn's Karaoke Bar in the Humour Section.
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
DameMercure
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:55
Hehe, thats funny, Vlad. I wrote a parody like that a while ago, except it was about how the war for MIddle Earth went. It was to the same song and everything. I had lots of fun writing it... but its really long. Anyhow, that parody was really good and it made me laugh. You should do more stuff like that!
Vlad_Rex
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:55
glad you enjoyed it! i may do more

and i feel unbelievably stupid asking this, but where is the Humour section...i can't find it...
DameMercure
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 12:56
Lol. Its the seventh category in the Main Menu on the top left side of the page. Its says "Humour Section". Lol. Don't worry. I do that alot too. :blush:
Arwen_The_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:15
I have created two backgrounds that i am rather proud of, but because they have writing and sucon them, i cannot submit them to CoE. SO! One is called "Daily Growing" and contains both Elrond and Arwen; The other is called "Scars" and contains mostly Elrond and elves, with a single shot of Arwen. I only have screenshots of them, and Scars is here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21248345/ ; and Daily Growing is here: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/21248599/ . E-mail me at [email protected] if you wish to have the real wallpaper. I will be more than willing to give it to you.

[Edited on 1/8/2005 by Arwen_The_Elf]
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:15
They're both very pretty! Nice work!
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:16
They are very pretty. I like the cool colors that you have chosen.
Twylight_Aelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:30
Hi, I wanted to make you all aware of a fanfiction project I'm working on. I'm interested in finding more writers who would want to be a part of it. I thought you'd like to take at least a look. If any of you are interested, either PM me or post on the thread below. Thank you

Tales of the Orcs

P.S. Does it sound dumb? Or too out of the comfortable LotR zone? Just asking.

[Edited on 12/3/2005 by Twylight_Aelf]
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:31
That's interesting, Twilight Aelf! But I'm better at comic orcs than serious orcs, so I won't join you.
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
ladyrwhen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 04:11
Well here is another one I finished today. What do you think of it?
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9007/tinuvielfinished7bn.jpg
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:36
I really like that, I love the way the colours match her eyes
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: February 07, 2006 03:39
My fic is here! *points at link in sig*
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 01:00
I'm very pleased to announce that a project I've been working on since last fall is finally finished! "The Noble Steward's Chronicles, vol. 3," a collection of fanfiction and poetry devoted to the character of Denethor, is now available for download in .pdf format! This 115-page zine, compiled by members and friends of the Brothers of Gondor discussion board, can be found here:

http://www.menofgondor.com/Noble_Chron3.pdf

Most stories in the collection are bookverse. All are gen or het, and none are rated higher than PG-13. All works marked "New" will be exclusive to this collection for the next month. Contents of the volume:

Cover Art by Enednoviel

All the World’s a Stage by Cadiliniel (New!)
Denethor’s life, based on the seven stages of man as Shakespeare wrote them in As You Like It.

The Ballad of the Lady Finduilas by Nesta (New!)
A song about Denethor's courtship of Finduilas.

An Evening Together by Athelas63 (Newly revised!)
While teenaged Boromir is away, the Steward of Gondor and the younger son share a meal and their thoughts.

White, Blue, Black by Illwynd
Denethor attempts to make Minas Tirith seem more like home to Finduilas.

Without Leave by Cressida (New!)
Nine-year-old Denethor slips away from his tutor and climbs to the top of the White Tower.

Six Drabbles by Annmarwalk

Passion
Even an hour apart is too long for some lovers.

Making Haiku
Finduilas charms and soothes her frustrated husband.

Beyond Imagination
Denethor receives an unimagined gift.

Where a Man’s Treasure Is, There Will His Heart Be Also
Denethor has all that a man could want; and so, he is an object of envy.

Birdsong
A birthday gift causes Denethor to reveal an unexpected skill.

Peace
A chance encounter reminds Denethor of what he has pledged his life to protect.

Refraction by Kielle
Did Denethor’s wife Finduilas truly “pine away for the sea,” as the tales say, or was it something more sinister...?

Three Drabbles by Chris (New!)

Broken
Denethor receives the broken Horn of Gondor.

Inadequate
Denethor tries to find the words to describe his beloved, only to find that he cannot.

Mirror Image
Denethor cannot bear to look at Faramir for reasons he would rather forget.

Ties Broken by a Sword by Athelas63
A visit from Denethor while Boromir and Faramir are practicing their swordsmanship reveals family tension and brotherly love.

Two Drabbles by Cressida

The Hope of Gondor
Denethor sees the future in his sons.

Lingering
After the events of The Return of the King, Faramir visits the House of the Stewards.

Learning Letters by Lilan
Would Denethor have been a better father to a little girl? Not Alternate Universe! But perhaps slightly MarySue-ish.

Sonnets for Finduilas by Chris (New!)
A series of three sonnets for Finduilas, written by Denethor before their marriage.

Wiles of the Enemy by Twoflower2
Two great minds have a power battle.

Going Too Far by Astara (New!)
When confronted with someone from his wife’s past, Denethor is less than thrilled.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email