Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Arnor's Rebirth (read OOC, join by pm permission only)
on: April 01, 2006 08:20
[OOC: Here we go]

The White City shined clear in the rays of the early sun and reflected upon the sides of the many tents a couple of hundred metres outside the city. There were several hundreds of tents grouped together and there were many horses and chariots spread in between them. It almost formed a small town of itself. Arkaniel, only just awake, stood in front of his tent and he was staring at Minas Tirith, thinking...

This is the last time I am going to see the White City for a very long time, if I ever see it again at all. Once I already thought it was the last time I saw it, since I never expected to return here, especially not married to a wonderful woman. I regretted leaving the Forsaken Inn, for I had a pleasant time there. However, I am thirsty for new adventures as I've always been. The adventure I am going to embark on now, is of a whole different matter. After months of preparations and waiting it has finally come to this: we are ready to go. We will restore Annuminas to its former glory, No... not to it's former glory, but to a new glory, as a worthy sister-city with Minas Tirith.

Two years ago, the idea of a new Annuminas formed in Arkaniel's mind, and after long consideration and discussion with Reycha, his beloved wife, they finally set out to Minas Tirith, to ask the King's approval. On their way here, he showed Reycha and Marim, his stepson, many of the wondrous places in Middle-Earth, like Amon Hen, Rivendell, the now collapsed entrance to Moria, Isengard, Helm's Deep, the glittering caves, Edoras and most importantly Minas Tirith and Osgiliath.
Getting the King's approval was easy, for King Elessar was very fond of the idea and even promised all the help we needed. What did come as a surprise was that the King gace him some important documents in which he was appointed steward of Annuminas and Lord of the fief of Arnor. This is a very great honour and Arkaniel couldn't thank the King enough for it. In the past months, people from all parts of Gondor and even some of Rohan had been gathering outside Minas Tirith. The last families had arrived yesterday while the others had spent their days waiting here preparing supplies for the route, gathering tools for the rebuilding of Annuminas and getting to know each other better. Arkaniel himself knew most people by face now, but there were just too many to get to know in the little free time he had outside making the preparations. Part of that free time was dedicated to spend time with his wife and son. Marim was 9 years old now and was eager to learn everything he could. His interests mainly went to weapons, but Arkaniel didn’t think him old enough yet. The time he spent with Reycha mostly consisted of sitting together with a blanket wrapped around them, watching the stars or each other, sometimes talking, but most of the time just enjoying being together. He still felt as much in love with her as the first day he met her, 5 years ago, in the Forsaken Inn.

An hour after dawn everyone in the encampment was up, packed and ready to go. All tents and supplies and personal belonging were loaded on horses, mules, chariots or on people’s back. Arkaniel kissed his wife and hugged his son before they both mounted Hanthalon, then sounded his horn three times, the signal for departure. He glanced at Minas Tirith one more time after which he turned north and started to follow the road, walking and keeping the reigns of Hanthalon in his hand. The other people followed in a long line behind him, all excited for their future. They were now all on the doorstep to a new life…
justice
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Arnor's Rebirth (read OOC, join by pm permission only)
on: April 04, 2006 02:17
"YaHoo!! Here we go!" Shouted Alex has he mounted his horse on the morning of the departure. "I can't wait! What about you Kenzi?" He said turning to his older sister as she struggled to place her last pack on her horse Mac. "Oh yes i can't! Can you even think...Rebuilding..." She said. Byron the oldest of the three walked up leading his horse. "I see you all are ready to go. Mother and Father are ready and waiting as well so come on...It will take allot of work to keep the herds together so keep on your toes!"

The Alfo Family where a very close knit kind of one. Of course they had there share of fights and bickering but for the most part got along well. The Fathers name was Delroy he was a strong man and was known for his sandy blond hair and blue eyes. He had been a great warrior and was an excellent rider a trait he had past on to his children... His wife Vitia, was quite and gentle, tall and graceful with long Golden blond hair that fell down her back in great waves. She loved her children and husband with a heroic devotion. Byron was the oldest son strong of mind and body, good looking you know everything anyone could want, A ittle intense some times but for the most part he was a quite guy. Kenzi was the only girl and about 15 she was brave and quick witted so much so that she got into allot of trouble... Alex was the youngest around 9 he was hotheaded but compassionate and got into allot of scrapes! They all loved one another very much and shared the same joy in leaving and going to rebuild Arnor.

Riding up to the carriage that Vita was driving Delroy leaned over and kissed his wife. "So here we go my dear... We went off from Rohan now off from here." Chuckling he said "Who knows where we should go next! Every one needs good horses so we might as well always travel and bring them to more and more people. What do you think dear?" Looking up at her husband from where she sat she replayed. "Don't tease me! You think you are funny but you are not, i do not want to move any more! We only come here because we were asked to bring our herds." Even though she was trying to scold him there was a certain light in her voice that showed she was excited. Also a pride for how fine there horses were so that they out of so many would be chosen to bring them...

((Hope it's OK))
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2006 10:09
((Greetings, Middle-earthlings! All characters are in the Db. Hope this is OK. Somewhat novel-length.... apologies!))

Alliss let her thin dark hair swing forwards and cover her face as she tightened the straps on her pack. She blushed, conscious of the glances thrown her way as she heaved the heavy pack onto her back and staggered slightly.

Her mother eyed her critically. "Alliss, how heavy is that?"

"Less than a third of my weight," replied the seventeen-year-old and gave a twisted smile. "I'm just weak, is all." A healer fresh from apprenticeship and the daughter of another, she knew the rules well. From behind her hair, Alliss peeped at the street. A few interested people hung around the city gates, though the hour was early.

Alliss' mother Larreth sighed and embraced her daughter. "Be careful, love." She looked at her sadly. "It is an unfriendly world out there." Not that Alliss had cause to fear unwanted advances from men -- both of them knew it. Alliss had not been blessed with beauty. She wasn't even plain. Since she was eight, Alliss had been mocked as the ugliest girl south of Rohan, and she was painfully aware of the fact. Larreth loved her daughter dearly, but there remained a wistful wish that her daughter had been pretty, if only for her own sake. "I love you always, Alliss. Take care."

The girl gave a brief smile, showing straight, white teeth. Alliss' teeth were her sole good physical feature. "I'm not a child, mother. And they need healers. Give my love to Father." She hesitated before turning and ducking her head to hide her twisted face as she left the city.

"And if I don't get a message from you within a year, I shall visit you and box your ears personally!" called her mother after her, to general laughter. Larreth was well liked in the district -- a plain but kindly woman and a most competent healer. Alliss swallowed the burning pain at the back of her throat. She was leaving, not standing here crying. 'And they won't know me. And they'll respect me for my healing -- and I'll never have to me mocked for my face again!' She didn't truly believe it in her heart of hearts, but she told herself anyway. It helped her believe she could do this.

Ten minute later, Alliss' shoulders were aching already as she slipped between the tents, doing her best not to be seen. How was she ever going to walk all the way to Arnor when she couldn't walk three hundred yards? She winced and dropped it, bending over to adjust the straps before heaving it onto her back again.

"Can I help you?"

The voice took her by surprise. Alliss looked up to see a young man holding a bay horse, and she flushed as he looked a little taken aback for a moment as he saw her properly. "I -- thank you, but I can manage," she mumbled, going scarlet.

Talkan looked at the girl struggling. "Can I help?" he asked her. When she turned around, he did an unconscious double-take. By all the Valar, the girl was ugly! He was instantly ashamed of the involuntary thought as she flushed red and declined.

"Are you going to carry that all the way to Arnor?" he asked, feeling terrible for having let his inital revulsion show on his face. He himself flushed slightly with shame. The guilt was partly because of the uneasy knowledge that not so very many years ago, Talkan himself would have laughed at her. "You'll break your back. My horse can carry it for you, if you like. She has too much energy as it is." The big bay mare snorted and sidled away from Talkan, who gripped the reins firmly. She had only been bought last week, and though Talkan could ride well enough, he didn't consider himself an accomplished horseman by any means.

"She's only acting as a beast of burden at present. It'll not hurt her -- I will not be riding her. What is your name?"

The girl looked partly relieved and partly embarrassed. "My -- my name is Alliss. Are you sure?"

Talkan smiled broadly. The sight of her might have been unpleasant, but he was a generous, kindly young man at heart. "Be my guest! Here, let me take it. Can't see you dragging yourself thousands of miles with that on your back!" Before she could demur, he took the pack and slung it over his mare's broad back. "Oof! My, that's heavy." He strapped it down firmly and turned to her. "My name is Talkan. Are you a mason as well? Feels like a granite block in that thing!"

Alliss gave an involuntary shy smile at his easy manner. She was always charmed by people who didn't treat her like a leper. "A healer. Though I'm only barely out of my apprenticeship..."

Talkan grinned. "Ah, so you've all your tools of the trade in there then? That explains a lot. Useful." He threw a glance over his shoulder. "I must speak with someone -- come and find me if you want anything out of that pack of yours. Just ask -- no trouble." His eyes twinkled before he walked off. "And I promise not to make off with anything!"

Alliss stared after him for a long moment, and wondered everyone else was going to be as blissfully normal around her.

------

((NB: It'll probably be more realistic and more interesting if everyone *isn't* at ease with Alliss. People tend not to be. Feel free to be horrible to her. ))
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: April 05, 2006 12:15
Belrustan took one last look down the old forest Road towards The Last Homely House. He had spent most of his 4947 years here in Imladris, ever since he fled Eregion and joined with Elrond, after the death of his father and the rest of the Gwaith-I-Mirdain though he was only an apprentice at the time, he was the only smith of eregion to survive Sauron's attack. With all of these millenia of perfecting his art, he had by this time far surpassed the abilities of any of the smiths of Eregion, and he felt that some of the objects he had made surely surpassed anything ever made outside of the Undying Lands.

He did not wish to leave Middle-earth as he was vain enough to prefer being the greatest Smith here rather than just one of the many to be found on Eressea or Valinor. But with so many of the elves now gone Imladris seemed an empty place and he felt that he was no longer needed there and needed to move on.

A new friend of his, the Hobbit-smith Potbelly Hairyfoot of The Forsaken Inn, had told him of the new plan to rebuild Annuminas, the former capital of Arnor, and he had decided that he would join this venture for with most of the Elves leaving, the future of Middle-earth was in the hands of the mortal races, and he would do what he could to help them succeed.

Up ahead Bel could see smoke rising from the chimneys of the Forsaken Inn. His good friend Potbelly was waiting to join up with him there.

Potbelly was excitedly watching the road for any sign of travellers. His friend Bel would soon be here. He still could not believe his luck. A simple hobbit like him getting a chance to work with the greatest Smith on Middle0earth, the elf who had reforged the famous Narsil as Anduril. Though Belrustan was a good friend, PB was in awe of his friend's ability as a smith. He and Bel would spend a night or two here at the Forsaken, and then the would head to Bree, to await Arkaniel and his group of settlers.

From the third floor window, He finally saw his friend approaching, and PB ran down the stairs to the inn to pour a couple of glasses of ale for he and Bel.

[Edited on 15/4/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
arthiel11425
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2006 08:45
Naldyn shifted her pack and winced as she felt a sharp claw dig into her back. She had decided to keep her hawk, Ika, hidden for the trip. Unfortunately, Ika was not pleased with being stowed in a bag and was doing his best to let Naldyn know.
Naldyn shifted her bag again, more violently, and felt the claw remove itself from her back.
She looked around at the people traveling with her, all excited about the chance to rebuild Annuminas, to help in the rebirth of the old capital of Arnor.
Naldyn was excited to finally be leaving Minas Tirith, her family, and her past. The city couldn't help her anymore. It was too big for her to use preperly. She had been chaffing to leave for over a year.
When she had heard about this opprotunity, she knew it was the perfect chance. She had spent the past couple of weeks counting down the days until they left.
A wailing child on her left startled Naldyn out of her thoughts and caused her to realize that she had somehow managed to become surrounded by families.
She picked her way through the playing children to find a group where she would fit in a little more.
As she traveled up the line, the people around her changed into young adults, either traveling alone or in pairs.
Slowing her pace to match the others, Naldyn fell into a comfortable walking rhythm. She noticed a few glances cast her way and pulled her hood up, casting her face into shadow. Let them wonder about her. It would make things easier later on.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 11, 2006 03:46
At walking pace did Maena enter the yard and right in front of the stables did she gently stop her mare. She dismounted and led the horse into the shed and into her stable. Carefully did she unsaddle her and placed the saddle on a extending piece of wood, skilledly attached to the stable door. She walked outside to a well nearby and after she had cleaned the bridle, she placed it over the saddle.The girl went back inside the stable again and with gentle strokes did she remove most of the sand nestling among the white hairs. One by one did she check at the hoofs; with some difficulty did she eventually remove a little, pointy stone and some loose earth fell down on the floor. Snowfall snorted softly when she gently let down the last hoof and Maena stepped to the front of the horse, wrapping her arms around the mare’s neck and letting her head rest to mare’s noble face. The girl closed her eyes. A soft wind blew suddenly through the stables for she had left the main door, leading to the eight stables in this shed, open. The wind played for a moment with some of her long, blond hairs and was a true relief to the horse, still hot from the long ride and sunny weather. Maena however felt more relieved when the wind disappeared again, for even though Snowfall may have found it enjoyable, she knew that the horse’s sweaty body would soon regret the wind.The girl had opened her eyes again but didn’t move an inch, enjoying the companion of the animal. Snowfall on her part began to whinny and threw her head up, forcing Maena to let go of her to make room for her to eat. The girl chuckled. “Glutton.” She said with a smile on her face. “Eat and have some rest, Snowfall. There’s a long journey ahead of us.” She quickly placed a small kiss on the mare’s nose and then walked out of the stable and out of the shed.

Outside she went to the backside of the shed, behind which her father was busy working on one of the horses. A firm, chestnut stallion was running through a divided piece of grass and a tall man was standing in the middle. He called some instruction and the horse immediately slowed down, but Maena was standing too far away to hear what he was saying. When Maenor noticed his daughter he went to the fence and smiled as a greeting. “He’s doing much better, isn’t he?” She started, with a slight movement of her head to the stallion. “He is indeed,” the man confirmed, but the smile on his face had made place for concern. “Only not as much as I had hoped for. If he keeps progressing in this pace, we won’t be able to take him with us to Arnor.” Maenor paused and looked at the horse, which had slowly walked towards them and was now keeping an eye on them from a safe distant. “That would be a shame, for he has so much potential.” Maena nodded. She understood he was worried and she would regret it for her parents if they couldn’t take him, after all they had payed a lot of attention to the horse and it would be a shame not to be able to finish the job, but frankly she couldn’t mind less. She wouldn’t want to come near that stallion for anything in the world.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2006 02:17
A soft wind blew suddenly, sweeping Cirion II's dark hair as he stood staring over the battlements of Minas Tirith, the White City. He had been wrestling with himself mentally. He wanted an adventure he wanted a chance and as he gazed at the White mountains he felt something was missing, something inside.
Cirion II was a brave, stern, strong and noble man though he was misunderstood and quite arrogant. The soldiers' respected him for his sword skills and not for his cooperation skills. but despite all this he was a kind man and would not see an innocent creature fall to harm; even though most of the time he would not diplay it for he was too proud.
He had the oppurtunity to go, to protect the travellers on their way to Arnor, to protect the city of Annuminas. But he could not leave he could not go.
He saw the settlers' leaving and a wave of panic swept up through his stomach. This was his last chance, his last chance for glory.He decided then and there he would serve Arkeniel and he would serve Annuminas. Cirion II found his legs were moving away from his position on the wall of the fifth level. A guard astonished by the unnatural behaviour yelled after him."Cirion get back to your post!"
Glancing back with a wide grin on his face Cirion II laughed: "No, i'm on my way to Arnor!"

((I hope that was suffiecient. i will go into more detail later.))

[Edited on 14/4/2006 by Cirion2]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 02:42
Bel was surprised, when he entered the Forsaken,to see the stout little hobbit sitting at a table with two mugs of frothy ale. He approached the table; 'Master Hairyfoot, after I stable my horse, may I join you and your companion, who seems to be away from the table, for an ale?. That is just what I need after spending much of the day on a dusty road.'

Potbelly laughed; ' It seems, Friend Bel, that the millenia have not taught you wisdom; the second mug is, of course, for you!!. I thought that a quick ale would be appreciated, and then we would see to properly stabling you horse and stowing your tools until we set off for Bree. The people we are to meet up with have only recently left Minas Tirith, and we should now have a few days to relax here and discuss our plans for the future, before we have to set off for Bree.'

They wer just heading back to the inn from the stable when Bel stated;'Look there PB, down where the road leaves the woods. A lone woman is approaching the inn. She looks rather travel worn, and i'd have to say that she must be a good cook, for she did not receive much in the way of beauty. From the size of her pack , and the way she carries herself, she seems strong and able to protect herself. When she approaches, let us be kind and say nothing of her looks. You are a Hoobit, and I am an Elf, and what care we fro the looks of men, be the male or female, for looks do not give an accurate reflection of the person beneath.'

PB agreed; 'As we are soon to head for Bree, let us invite her to stay here with us for a while and then accompany us to the town. It is always better to travel with companions'

_______

With that said PB and Bel turned and walked together to the Road, towards the approaching woman. As she got closer, and PB got a better look at her, PB was saddened. No one should be stuck with looks like that to give people their first impression . He resolved not to let those looks affect his opinion of the woman, and as she reached them, he held his hand to her.

" How do you fair, ma'am? My name is Potbelly, this here Elf is my friend Bel, and you are now at the Forsaken Inn. We'd like to invite to join us at the inn, and to stop for a while before you continue on your way. We will be leaving in a few days , for Annuminas, with a stop at Bree to meet up with some friends, and we would be honoured if you would accompany us , at least to Bree'

[Edited on 15/4/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2006 09:33
In the three days they were already on their way, the group of settlers had already marched half of the distance to Edoras, which was quite a fast pace, much faster as Arkaniel had expected. The spirits of the travellers were high and most broke the boredom of walking by singing. Most of the songs were well-known to all people and they all sung them together. After each day of marching, the group set up their camp and passed their time talking, making music, cooking, eating, taking care of their animals or just resting. Another three days and they would make a stop at Edoras. There they would stay a full day and two nights. That should be time enough for the families in Rohan, who wanted to go to Arnor, to join up with the group. Arkaniel was planning on giving a feast while they were waiting there. It would be a good opportunity for the group to get to know each other better and to form a kind of team spirit. For now, most sticked to their families and friends during the march.

While Marim rode a couple of yards ahead on Hanthalon, Arkaniel walked with his arm over Reycha's shoulder. She was the love of his life and he would go through a fire for her and for Marim. He thought back at last evening, which had been very romantic. Marim had been playing with other children the whole evening. In the meanwhile he and Reycha sat together by the fire, dreaming away while looking in each other's eyes, kissing and just being together.

Arkaniel's thoughts already flooded forwards. PotBelly would be awaiting him in Bree with some friends. He liked the hobbit very much and he was glad that he had him with him. Though short, the hobbit was and is a great friend. Sometimes, the little hobbit acted as a more fatherly figure, too. He had made other friends at the Forsaken Inn, too, but unfortunately he hadn’t heard if any of them were going to Annuminas.

[OOC: Sorry for short post, but I have to go now, probably elaborate later]
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2006 12:11
((Hope this fits ))

Cirion II galloped through Stonewain Valley aware of the murmuring beyond the trees, barely detectable. He knew of The Woses, wild men native to the Druaden Forest were watching and he also knew perfectly well of the warnings that were given out to anyone who was going to be travelling this way. But still he needed to catch up to the settlers on their way to Edoras and this was the fastest route. He judged himself alomst exactly west of the beacon of Eilenach. Suddenly in the gloom of nightfall something unseen sped past him, he thanked his luck for the Wose's deadly, poisonous darts rarely miss. Then from the treetops a small man jumped knocking Cirion from the saddle. Upon hitting the ground Cirion II pulled his sword free and moved his sheild higher protecting his neck. There in front of him, stood a strange squat shape of a man, gnarled as an old stone, and the hairs of his scanty beard straggled on his lumpy chin like dry moss. Abruptly he spoke. "long ago before darkness fails, Horse-men promise if we help against gorgun they go and no hunt Wild Men no more. You Tall Men break promise, You Tall Man disturb sleep of Wild Men"
"See here strange creature, i do not wish to interrupt one's slumber. I am riding to Edoras and must make it there quickly. Spare me, for i intend no ill favor." But as soon as Cirion finished speaking, his eyes widened and he groped for something at the back of his neck. Cirion II fell to the ground gurgling in pain.

Cirion was awoken by some bitter tasting herb being thrust into his mouth. he tried to spit it out but the man slowly and carefully inserted the vile stuff. Slowly opening his eyes Cirion saw the small man from the night before. Glancing around Cirion noticed it was a bright morning. The light, in trying to break through the treetops appeared like specks on the ground. It was eerily silent, he turned his gaze to the man and identified that they were on some sort of ledge. He could make out his horse and all his items below him. Cirion tried to move his arm but realised he had been bound to some sort of cross.
Seeing Cirion's distress the strange man made a curious gurgling noise, obviously he was laughing.
"My kin tie Tall Man to cross, they leave you to die. Grun-baru-Grun not leave Tall Man, Grun-baru-Grun save Tall Man. Tall Man tel-"
"I am called Cirion II"
"Ci-ri-on." Grun-baru-Grun muttered to himself with much difficulty and uncertainty."Ci-ri-on speaks words that appeal to Grun-baru-Grun. he says he intends no harm. If Grun-baru-Grun help Ci-ri-on will Ci-ri-on take Grun-baru-Grun to Horse-men's stone-houses?"
"Why?" Cirion II uttered through cracked lips. Grun-baru-Grun started speaking looking up at the sky, sinking into a reverie.
"Grun-baru-Grun once live free, happy. One day Grun-baru-Grun wonder to far because of curious eyes. He come to dirt road. On road Tall Men ride proud and big, among them Grun-baru-Grun spy pretty maiden ride horse, golden hair sweeping behind. Grun-baru-Grun want to look for her at Horse-men stone-city."
"Fine, untie me kind Grun-baru-Grun and we shall go to Edoras and seek her out." With that Grun-baru-Grun glanced about fearfully. "We must move fast and quiet Grun-baru-Grun's kin come check you dead-men. They see Grun-baru-Grun, then Grun-baru-Grun also dead-men." He quickly untied Cirion II and together they silently hopped from the ledge. Grun-baru-Grun vanished into the woods and Cirion leading his horse silently after him, followed.

((I quoted Jrr Tolkein many times in that text he just describes those little men so well))
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2006 12:19
((Sorry for the delay! Didn't actually mean Alliss, PBH, but it doesn't matter -- we'll go with it. Probably more interesting anyway. ))

Alliss winced and hitched her pack further up her back. After several days' walking, her shoulders were sore and aching. 'Serves me right for packing too much,' she thought, though she was actually travelling quite lightly. 'I should have listened to Mother.' Alliss had decided that while the views were spectacular and the solitude a welcome change, an outdoor life was not for her. The difficulty in keeping everything clean irked her particularly. A healer's daughter, Alliss was always scrupulously clean and neat; she regarded grime as an adversary to be vanquished through elbow grease and grim determination.

Alliss sighed and was wondering whether it was worth adjusting the straps once more when she caught sight of two figures near a building several hundred yards away. There was something faintly odd about the silhouettes, though she couldn't put her finger on it. "Must be the Forsaken Inn," she murmured, and her face split into a broad smile. "At last!" As she came nearer, she realised what was so odd -- the one man was more than twice the height of the other! It was almost funny. 'How is that possible?' she wondered. 'Unless one is a very, very tall man and the other is actually a very, very short woman...'

But soon the two figures were close enough for her to see that it was nothing of the kind. The one looked to be over a foot taller than Alliss herself. Even at a distance she could see that he was powerfully built and fair of face beyond anything she had ever seen before. Instinctively she knew that she was looking at an Elf, though she had never come across one of their kind in her seventeen years. The other was considerably less intimidating, though no less a source of wonder. He stood less than four feet tall by Alliss' reckoning -- was this a Halfling?

Alliss ducked her head and was about to look away when she was mildly startled when the Halfling held out his hand to her.

" How do you fare, ma'am? My name is Potbelly, this here Elf is my friend Bel, and you are now at the Forsaken Inn. We'd like to invite to join us at the inn, and to stop for a while before you continue on your way. We will be leaving in a few days , for Annuminas, with a stop at Bree to meet up with some friends, and we would be honoured if you would accompany us , at least to Bree.'

Alliss flushed self-consciously under Potbelly's direct gaze, and the Elf's piercingly keen one, and wished her hair was down to cover her face rather than bound back neatly. But she was so surprised to be addressed at all, let alone civilly, that she took his hand without thinking. She was accustomed to people shying away from her, as though she had a disease, or ignoring her existence. "I -- I thank you," she said shyly. "I go the same way -- I am honoured to make your acquaintance." A shy smile pulled at one corner of her mouth. "Though I do think seventeen might be a little young for ma'am, sir."
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 21, 2006 06:11
"It won't take long anymore, will it?" Maena asked, leaning over the fence. Her father smiled slightly at her. "Indeed." He paused for a moment, and then continued speaking.They left Minas Tirith a couple of days ago and if their space is, which at this point of the journey I'm pretty sure it will be, they will be here in just a few."

He looked away and gazed over the plains. Only a few more days and then they'd leave Edoras, probably forever. His family had lived there for generations, his ancestors had built this farm with their bare hands. He had grown up here, his daughter had grown up here and he had always assumed his child's children would also grow up here.

The chance of moving to Arnor had seemed wonderful at the time. They trained their horses well, but in Edoras it was hard to find one that wasn't. Their family had always been respected for their work, but their had always been a lot of others as well, they had never stand out. In Arnor they could show what they were worth, they could mean something.

But once the day of their parting came closer, his mind grew fuller of worries, his doubts grew bigger. It was mainly his daughter who was giving him headaches, who had always been giving him headaches. His wife Sorne kept telling him to have more faith in the girl, to give her more space, but he simply couldn't. Maena had always been so shy, so insecure, that he had always felt the need to pick her up and protect her against the world.

Maenor looked at the girl. She was wearing a long, lightbrown dress finishing off with darker tones. Her blond hair hang mainly on her back, a few strings falling over her left shoulder. She heaved backwards when the stallion came nearer and then she laughed happily when she noticed a young rabbit jumping away through the high grass. A sad smile appeared on his face; he knew she wasn't five anymore and that it was time for her to face the reality, but everything inside him screamed to keep her safe.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 03:43
Cirion II looked up at the sky which had turned from a vivid orange to a swirling pale violet. Then his observant gaze was lured by something, there on the horizon he saw the settlers.
"They are here." He said with a broad grin looking over his shoulder.The gnarled little man had materialized out of the long shadows next to the Golden Hall and was eagerly beckoning for Cirion to follow. "Now Ci-ri-On come with Grun-baru-Grun to find pretty maiden." . They walked down through the city of Edoras in search of this mysterious, radiant and beautiful maiden. Finally Cirion shook his head. "Grun i doubt that this lady you speak of should inhabit this city. Let us introduce ourselves to Arkeniel then in the morning if we can continue this hunt." Suddenly the relative silence of hushed voices and social activity was pierced by the merry laughter of a woman as she cantered through the pathway, almost trampling Cirion. Had he not been pulled away by the agile Grun-baru-grun.
"Now see here mindless woman. Had my companion not been so quick of mind i surely would have been trampled by that powerful horse of yours. How can you be so careless?" Cirion throut suddenly became convaluted as the woman jumped from the saddle and presented a innocent yet seductive smile. Cirion could do nothing but stare this woman seemed a glow her face was without any imperfection and her bluish green eyes were alight. Her hair was a golden orange which curled slightly as it ended about her shoulders.
"And why shouldn't i? I am so excited about meeting Arkaniel and going to Arnor!" She said with a wickedly lively voice.
Cirion had to fight this lust for he had no need nor no time for chasing women." That is fortunate for we are also destined for Arn-"
"No Grun-baru-Grun not go to stone city he seek pretty lady and pretty lady arrives before startle Grun-baru-Grun." In response the lady cackled with delight. "Anyway i must now see Arkaniel good evening to you." She was about to hop up into the saddle when Cirion put a gentle but restraning hand upon her shoulder. "I must also inform him of my presence."
If the lady was pleased by this she did not reveal as he pulled himself into the saddle and helped her up with him. Together they galloped toward the gates of Edoras leaving behind a disgruntled, gnarled small man.

[Edited on 28/4/2006 by Cirion2]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 05:28
"Marim, don't go too far away!" Reycha warned her son as the boy trotted happily further to the front of the column with his new-found friends. She couldn't help worrying about him. Ever since Marim had been taken away from her and later returned in his mother's arms, Arkaniel had been telling her that she wa being overprotective about the boy... But the fear to lose him again was sitting too deep within her. Reycha used to think about the time in the future that was nearing with every day - the day Marim would decide he didn't need her anymore, when he would choose his own path and his own life. She just hoped she would still have a place in it. Any place.

Arkaniel's warm hands gave her shoulders a squeeze, as if he somehow knew what thoughts had furrowed his wive's brow. She stroked his rough hand gently.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"For what?" Arkaniel seemed to be slightly surprised.

"For being there for me, for protecting me... For everyhing," gratefulness overflooded her heart, as a tear gittered in the very corner of her eye. She was being emotional again, she knew. But then.... She was free to be emotional when she needed it. Arkaniel understood. He always did.

He smiled and hugged her tighter.

"I love you," with a happy sigh she whispered and was rewarded by a kiss on the top of her head.

"Are we far from Edoras?" she asked, anxious to see something else than just grassy plains and a few bushes.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 09:31
((Aand another two of my infernal characters, both of whom are in the Db. ))

Eranric wiped his forehead on his sleeve as he gladly laid down his hammer. It was too damn hot to be working in the forge today, and he was late finishing as it was. He whistled a tune as he untied his leather apron. He was about to leave it draped over the anvil, but a guilty glance at the open door to the cottage saw him hang it on its nail. His aunt had the eyes of a hawk, and though he was 22, he wouldn't have put it past her to be watching. Eranric didn't want to end his days here with a scolding.

He walked out into the fresh air, the breeze ruffling his thick tawny hair. He smiled as he looked up at the rest of Edoras -- his aunt's cottage was at the bottom, where he was staying for a spell and helping his uncle. Smithing was in their family, and it was good to see his sister once more. But Eranric had no plans to stay -- he meant to join the party on their way to rebuild Arnor when they arrived. he glanced at the horizon hopefully, but no sign was forthcoming.

Eranric shrugged. Ah, well. A watched pot never boils, he thought as he strolled towards the boundaries of the city, vaguely thinking about taking his mare out for a ride. On the other hand, he didn't want to miss them if they did arrive in his absence... he knew no one here, though, and waiting was a lonely business with no friends. "I'm like a boy waiting for the Winter Solstice," he thought out loud, and laughed as he leaned on a cottage wall at the outskirts of the city.

Presently, he frowned as he spotted a rider in the distance -- but it was the wrong direction for him to be with the migration from Gondor. Strange... Eranric remained where he was, watching the dark shape get closer and closer over the plains, slowly turning into a man mounted on a dappled grey horse. Eranric chewed a stalk of grass and watched his apporach with interest. The stranger's dark hair was long and flowing, but he was far too broad across the shoulders to be a woman. 'Interesting indeed...'

Soon the stranger dismounted lightly, with almost catlike grace. His ears were pointed, his eyes a bright slate-grey, and there was something distinctly not human about the set of his face. It was too... cleanly cut, too handsome, too perfect. Eranric had to forcibly remind himself not to stare. He had never seen an Elf before, but instantly recognised the being before him as one.

The Elf inclined his head towards Eranric. "Suilad -- oh, forgive me, you say 'Greetings', do you not?" He smiled, showing very white teeth. His Westron was softly accented with a foreign lilt of a tongue Eranric could not quite place. "Do you know anything of the migration from Gondor?" he asked, leaning on the back of the dappled mare, who stood quietly. His long, very thick black hair shifted in the breeze.

Eranric took a moment to find his voice, he was so astonished and rather awed at this sudden appearance. "I -- they are due here very soon, but have not yet arrived, my lord." The title came naturally -- it seemed to fit. "I plan to join them when they come." He gestured towards his aunt's cottage. "I board with relatives until then."

The stranger gave another gentle smile, but his eyes twinkled merrily. "No lord -- my name is Halhigil. Just a common soldier. Well," he corrected himself with a wry upward twitch of a dark eyebrow, "Common ex-soldier, with any luck. Common as -- what is that expression you have? -- ah yes. Common as muck."

Though slightly mystified by part of the rather cryptic reply, Eranric couldn't help but grin. "Very well, Halhigil -- my name is Eranric. And I am also a stranger here." He shrugged apologetically. "I am afraid I can tell you little about this place! I'm just a country lad."

"You and me both," said Halhigil easily. "Oh, no matter! I've no objection to wandering around the area for a while until they turn up. I was expecting something of a wait in any case -- or to have to chase them." He grinned again.

"Where are you from?" asked Eranric, curious.

"Eryn Lasgalen," said the Elf briefly, "or Mirkwood as it was previously known." His expression clouded. "Have there been any of my kinsfolk here?" he asked, looking almost furtive. "A very tall one, or a very short one?"

Eranric shook his head, mystified once more. "No. I never saw one of the Firstborn until this morning."

Halhigil laughed, looking relieved. "That is probably just as well," he replied. He looked at the horizon with an odd expression. "And long may it remain so," he murmured, almost to himself.

----

((OOC: Lest I be accused of gary-Stuism, I'd like to point out that Halhigil is not perfect/dazzlingly handsome by Elven standards. It's just Eranric's reaction. Hehe. ))
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2006 04:22
Arkaniel's warm hands gave her shoulders a squeeze, as if he somehow knew what thoughts had furrowed his wive's brow. She stroked his rough hand gently.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"For what?" Arkaniel seemed to be slightly surprised.

"For being there for me, for protecting me... For everything," gratefulness overflooded her heart, as a tear gittered in the very corner of her eye. She was being emotional again, she knew. But then.... She was free to be emotional when she needed it. Arkaniel understood. He always did.

He smiled and hugged her tighter.

"I love you," with a happy sigh she whispered and was rewarded by a kiss on the top of her head.

"Are we far from Edoras?" she asked, anxious to see something else than just grassy plains and a few bushes.

"As a matter of fact, we should see Edoras appear on the horizon any moment now", Arkaniel answered her.
Several minutes later, they all saw the roof of the Golden hall appearing on the horizon, soon followed by the rest of the Hall and then the rest of Edoras. A sigh of rejoice went through the group of settlers. Stage one of their journey was nearly over.

Arkaniel called one of the knights riding closest to him and ordered him: "Ride along the length of our group and tell everyone we halt about a quarter of a mile in front of Edoras, so we can set up camp there. Everyone that feels like is free to enter Edoras. The young soldier hurried to follow the order. He was one of the two hundred men strong company of knights, placed under Arkaniel's command by King Elessar. They protected the caravan till arrival in Annuminas and once there, they would serve as city guard. The ones that were married had their families with them, for all of them were going to be citizens of Annuminas, too. All of them wore the traditional Gondorian soldier's outfit, being the chain mail, the steel gauntlets, the black boots and the black weapon's tunic with the white tree. New on this tunic however, was the golden eagle embroided above the white tree, were normally the 7 seven stars of the King were. This golden eagle was the banner of (new) Arnor and of Arkaniel’s House.

He called another knight and ordered him to bring the letters he handed him over to King Eomer. The letters were from King Elessar with all the information about the rebuilding of Arnor and a request for helping the settlers out as much as possible. The knight rode of quickly to Edoras.

They were near the walls of Edoras now and the started setting up their encampment. By dinner time, they were ready and most people started cooking. Tommorow they would start preparing the feast that was going to take place tomorrow evening, to welcome the people that were joining the group now. Arkaniel expected several dozens of families to join up here. He would have to take care of getting enough supplies for the long journey to Bree, for Bree was the first place they would reach were they could re-supply. It would also be the last place where new settlers would join. For certain some Dwarves, at least the much needed masons he invited, hopefully some others, too. Besides those Dwarves, there would probably some Hobbits, some Men and off course his friends from the Forsaken Inn.

While enjoying dinner with Reycha and Marim, Arkaniel saw several people already arriving in the camp, who had been waiting for the group in Edoras. Amongst them there were many families, several with herds of horses and cattle. The most prominent however were two people on the same horse, a man accompanied by a women of great beauty, who were clearly looking for someone.

After dinner, Marin went to play with the other children and Arkaniel addressed his wife: “I have been thinking, Marim is nearly ten years old now and maybe it is time he gets some education on various matters. I don’t really know how to start it, since I was a spoiled child of a wealthy landlord and I could pass my time any way I wanted, but I would like to see Marim learning several things. I know you don’t like to have him handling weapons, and neither do I for now, but it will be part of his training as a noblemen’s son. If you agree, I’ll ask one of the scholars travelling with us, to teach him to read and write and some mathematics. We can wait with his ‘fighting’ skills till later.”
He expected the look on her face, one of great concern and doubt. She was very concerned for Marim, since she got him back…

[ooc: hope this post is in time for you, mirilien, sorry it is so late, but too many real life stuff going on.]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: April 26, 2006 02:33
'Only 17 you say?'; PB responded to the, apparently young, woman. 'That is indeed young for a Hobbit, as we do not come of age until we are many years beyond that; but I've seen that the women of Breeland occasionally marry at your age , or a few years beyond it. In any case, although the road is no much safer than it was at the end of the Third Age, it is still not so safe as we ( glancing at Bel, who nods in agreement) would feel comfortable allowing a you to travel alone."

'Come into the Inn and we'll find you a room so that you can settle down and relaxe for a bit , as we won't be leaving for a few days.'
Bel, after a quick bow, laded himself with the girl's belongings saying; ' Please allow me to carry your pack. Although it is a burden to you, it is easy for me to heft, as I spend my days working with things far heavier than this.'
As they enetered the Inn band el added; 'I'll show you to an empty room, while PB makes the arrangements and sets out a meal and some beverages.'

Alliss tried to insist that she be allowed to slep outside as she had limited resources, but Bel and PB would hear nothing on it.
They explained that she was staying at their insistence, that they were glad to meet someone else from the resettlement project, she would not be a burden, and lastly that PB was a co-owner of the Inn.

( more on this meeting later - R/L intrudes)

[Edited on 27/4/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2006 04:26
Delroy dismounted his horse and stepped in front of the golden hall. So many times he had sat there ... and this would be his last. This is where my life started and this is where my new one will begin as well. Turning around he looked at his two youngest children, Kenzi and Alex. They both sat on there horses looking at there Father in a silent reverence for something they knew nothing about. However, they knew that this was something important and must be treated as so. Delroy remounted his gelding and said.
" Well children, i know that we left our life here a month ago to go to Gondor and it must be hard to come back. However, i want you to know that our new life will be a good one; not without its trials but a good one." Both of them nodded in agreement.
"Yes, sir." Kenzi added.
"Well now lets see." Delroy said with a glitter back in his eyes "I think we have everything we came for, Right?"
"Check on that one sir! Down to the last pack of sugar." Alex said as he pated the package at his side."and with luck it will be there when we get back to camp!" Laughing at his own joke he follow his Father and sister out of the city and back to the camp.....

((sorry it took me so long to reply! I have been out of town,))
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: April 30, 2006 02:11
When the young woman, Alliss she said her name was, finally agreed to stay in the Inn, Bel gave a smile. He brought her to a nice second floor room with a view of stream, left her to settle herself in for a few days, told her to come down and join then in the pub room, and then went down to join PB.

In the Pub , a table had been set for three, with food set out in bowls so that they could serve themselves what the wished. PB explained to Bel that he wasn't sure what Alliss would like, so he had set out a variety of vegetables, fruits , and meats and. of course, fried mushrooms.
Bel and PB then got into a deep discussion of what beverage they should serve Alliss. Both were sure that even though men matured at a younger age than either Hobbits or Elves, 17 was under the age that men would consider proper for having a mug of Ale. They were still discussing the maturation rates of the various talking peoples when young Alliss joined them, saw their mugs, and demurely asked if the Inn had any cider. PB headed to the bar for cider, and the young woman, following Bel's lead, added some food to her plate.

Although she started off very self-consciously, Bel's and PB's obvious lack of concern for her appearance and great interest in her training gradually relaxed Alliss to the point where she was able to tell a humorous story about a neighbours shepherd dog and its meeting with a large mole.
The two males were amazed by the thoroughness of Alliss' healer training. She had apparently compensated for her looks and the comments of others by immersing herself into her studies. Despite her young age there was no doubt that she would be an asset to the resettlement.
After a few hours of animated discussion Alliss stated that she was tired, excused herself and headed off to bed.
Bel and PB immediately went into a discussion of the young woman, her abilities, and her self consciousness about her looks. They were sure that the type of people who would abandon their past lives to join Arkaniel's re-establishment of Annuminas would be far more interested in a persons knowledge and abilities rather than appearances.

[Edited on 30/4/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2006 09:30
After dinner, Marin went to play with the other children and Arkaniel addressed his wife: “I have been thinking, Marim is nearly ten years old now and maybe it is time he gets some education on various matters. I don’t really know how to start it, since I was a spoiled child of a wealthy landlord and I could pass my time any way I wanted, but I would like to see Marim learning several things. I know you don’t like to have him handling weapons, and neither do I for now, but it will be part of his training as a noblemen’s son. If you agree, I’ll ask one of the scholars travelling with us, to teach him to read and write and some mathematics. We can wait with his ‘fighting’ skills till later.”

Reycha looked up at her husband, the plasant and calm feeling that had been created by the evening completely fading. She thought a little, trying to bring her emotions under control, then said, carefully choosing words:

"Are you sure you can trust those scholars? No, I don´t mean that they would be bad people, not at all... But - do we actually know WHAT they are teaching, and what are the methods of their teaching?"

It took some time before Arkaniel managed to convince her that it would be all right. Reycha did know that the boy needed education, she was just so reluctant te let him out of her sight...

Finally, they agreed, but with one condition - that Reycha would be present at the first classes to see if everything was as it should be.

(sorry it´s so short, I´m catching time during my trip in Spain. Greetings to ya all!)
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2006 10:29
It was a silent and safe night, the stars were sprinkled throughout the sky and the moon cast its curious yet eerie gaze upon the settlers. Cirion was astride a horse the beautiful and mesmerising mysterious lady holding his shoulders behind him. All about them clumps of people sat and told stories, children playfully ran about and soldiers patrolled. The two were searching for Arkaniel the appointed steward of Annuminas. Cirion was a fine and elite soldier, prizing his attributes he would pledge himself to Arkeniel's service, to the service of the new city of Annuminas. Suddenly a child ran before the horse, as shouts of "Marim! Nooo!" confused him, he jerked the horses reins back in shock. But it was to late the horse bucked in fury sending the two tumbling to the ground. The boy would be trampled......
But suddenly out of the shadows a small gnarled man leapt and in lightning fast speed and efficiency pulled the boy from harm. Grun-baru-Grun shook the dirt from the boy as his mother gathered the youth up into her arms and gently stroked his hair. "thank you" she whispered shock straining her voice. Cirion helped the lady to her feet and returned to the scene of the incident. Gasping he bowed. "M'lord. I am Cirion II and i pledge myself to your services."
The mystery woman also payed her respects with a curtsy then spoke. "And i am Alaroen lady of the Hills of Evendium"

[Edited on 2/5/2006 by Cirion2]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2006 10:32
Reycha and Arkaniel were so deep in their conversation regarding the closest future of Marim, that she forgot to keep an eye on him as she always did. Well, Reycha did know she was watching the boy too much and that the young one needed, deserved and yearned. So she was learning to do what she had to, looking around to check on her son only once in a while or so. The usual laugther of the children playing and the sounds of their activities never warned her about the close danger. When she cast her gaze around as she usually did, it was already too late.

"Marim! Noo!!!"

A terrified scream broke out of her throat as she noticed a large horse with heavy hooves coming right down on Marim´s head, as the boy stood frozen in front of the animal. She jumped up and run, but it was obvious she would not make it on time.... When a short and wide man emerged out of shadows and snatched the boy out from under the horse´s hooves just a second before they hit the ground with a loud THUD! Reycha never noticed the two riders that had fallen off the horse´s back, she went flying to the short man´s side and took her son in her trembling arms. He was safe! Safe and sound, she thought, still unable to believe it after the horrow she had experienced just a moment ago. Seeing her like this, Marim started to cry, and she wept, too, this time from relief.

"Thank you," she addressed the savior of her son. And it didn´t matter that he looked like none other sort of man she had ever seen. In her eyes, he was worthy to be worshipped for what he had done. And again, the world around her disappeared, and she saw only her prescious boy.
In the Realm of Ulmo
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 04:08
It was a silent and safe night, the stars were sprinkled throughout the sky and the moon cast its curious yet eerie gaze upon the settlers. Cirion was astride a horse the beautiful and mesmerising mysterious lady holding his shoulders behind him. All about them clumps of people sat and told stories, children playfully ran about and soldiers patrolled. The two were searching for Arkaniel the appointed steward of Annuminas. Cirion was a fine and elite soldier, prizing his attributes he would pledge himself to Arkeniel's service, to the service of the new city of Annuminas. Suddenly a child ran before the horse, as shouts of "Marim! Nooo!" confused him, he jerked the horses reins back in shock. But it was to late the horse bucked in fury sending the two tumbling to the ground. The boy would be trampled......
But suddenly out of the shadows a small gnarled man leapt and in lightning fast speed and efficiency pulled the boy from harm. Grun-baru-Grun shook the dirt from the boy as his mother gathered the youth up into her arms and gently stroked his hair. "thank you" she whispered shock straining her voice. Cirion helped the lady to her feet and returned to the scene of the incident. Gasping he bowed. "M'lord. I am Cirion II and i pledge myself to your services."
The mystery woman also payed her respects with a curtsy then spoke. "And i am Alaroen lady of the Hills of Evendium"

boy stood frozen in front of the animal. She jumped up and run, but it was obvious she would not make it on time.... When a short and wide man emerged out of shadows and snatched the boy out from under the horse´s hooves just a second before they hit the ground with a loud THUD! Reycha never noticed the two riders that had fallen off the horse´s back, she went flying to the short man´s side and took her son in her trembling arms. He was safe! Safe and sound, she thought, still unable to believe it after the horrow she had experienced just a moment ago. Seeing her like this, Marim started to cry, and she wept, too, this time from relief.

"Thank you," she addressed the savior of her son. And it didn´t matter that he looked like none other sort of man she had ever seen. In her eyes, he was worthy to be worshipped for what he had done. And again, the world around her disappeared, and she saw only her prescious boy.

Still slightly shocked from nearly losing Marim, Arkaniel started thinking normaly again. He hugged Reycha and Marim, glad they were ok. With his arm still around Reycha, he looked at the three people in front of him: Cirion, Alaroen and the short man. He spoke first to Alaroen, a women of stunning beauty:
"Welcome Lady Alaroen, in our encampment. Are you just visiting or will you honor us by joining our expedition? And you Cirion, I accept your oath with gratitude, and I say welcome to you, too." After learning the short man's name, Arkaniel talked to the three of them for a while about his plans for the near future and about the responsibilities of Cirion being under his command. [OOC: Cirion, you may choose your function as a soldier, being scout, guard or junior officer, that is up to you].

He then excused himself and lead Marim and Reycha back to their tent. Marim went to sleep soon, but Reycha was another story. She was still shaken from the near accident. Arkaniel comforted her, trying to take away her comcern and whispering sweet words in her ear. He also thought about what she had said about Marim's education. Once she would be calmed, he would speak about it again and offer that for the duration of their journey, he would give it. Once in Annuminas, he could contact scholar and a swordmaster to take over under Reycha's watchfull eyes.

The next morning, Arkaniel received word from King Eomer: He sent his best wishes and offered free pack-horses and supplies. This was more then he had hoped for and he sent his thanks back. After breakfast, the setters started preparing for the party. A huge tent was set up, where the kitchen and the buffet would be, and around the tent many tables and chairs, rented in Edoras, were placed. Many of the women started cooking already and most of the men gathered the barrels of beer and bottles of wine and brought them to the tent. Some of the dwarves had loads of fireworks with them and made it ready for the evening.

In the meanwhile, the majority of the new settlers from Rohan arrived and hurried to find a place for their belonging, so they could join the feast. The feast started at noon with an abundant (hope this is the right word) lunch which was followed by hours of dancing and games. Arkaniel danced with his wife and with many other women, not caring for how beautiful they were, since there was only one women in his live. It seemed the party was a succes and he felt as if all the people here were connected with him and each other. once the sun began to set, the dwarves started launching their fireworks, which were the signal for the start of dinner. The party went on for many more hours and it was past midnight when the last people stopped feasting. After that, some volunteers cleaned up everything together with Arkaniel. It had been a long day and tomorrow they would start the second stage of their journey. Onwards to Bree...
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2006 12:08
Cirion lay there pleased. All had gone to plan Arkaniel was a kind man and welcomed Cirion's service graciously. He had also offered him a spot of junior officer among other things but Cirion declined he would prove himself to the people and to Arkaniel first, by fighting as a soldier. Although something nagged at him a wanting feeling down bellow it was also a feeling of hate and lust he couldn't quite grasp what it was...
But for some reason he could not bore out of his mind the images of Alaroen dancing with many others... her golden hair bouncing off her shoulders as she laughed a stunning cackle that made him grin. For some reason his face went red at seeing her dance with all those other men, she had offered him a dance though but he politely said no and leaned back againsta table in the shadows. For he was clumsy on the dance floor and he would not want everyone think he was a clumsy fool did he? Then he remembered seeing Grun-Baru-Grun sitting silently in the tree enchanted by Alaroen, suddenly he thought to himself would i become like that? mindless and in awe of her beuty? He had to stay his distance so her luring charm would not consume him.Cirion would not let his training and preparatrion fall to ruin he would not fail the settlers. He wriggled on the mat he was sleeping on out in the open. he preffered it this way looking up at the vibrant stars, then the snow capped mountains and the trees dark, comforting figures which emmited calls of nocturnal birds and mammals going out for a night of hunting. Cirion rolled over and was startled out of his wits by the site that greeted him, Alaroen was laying next to him her hair flowing out over her mat and the ground her face seemed softly a glow. Propping his arm up to lift his torso he spoke. " Alaroen fair lady do you not have quarters in Edoras? why do you need to subject yourself to this sleeping like this? Surely it would ruin your beautiful golden hair?"
She replied softly. "I like the scenary"
Uncertain of what to say he rolled over and was soon asleep, his last thoughts were of her...
Echileru_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 12:44
Rose ran to the hut, jumping with joy and anticipation. "Aubrey, hurry up! They're here!" Her sister gave her a look that said "Back off!", making Rose withdraw for a moment, then smile even wider. Aubrey finsihed packing the last bag. "I would have been done earlier if you had helped more," she replied moodily. "I'll go get the horses," Rose said, already running out the door. Aubrey smiled. Although she was only two minutes older than Rose, maturity-wise it seemed more like two years.
Aubrey walked out of their hut, shouldering the packs. Thank goodness we don't have very much, she thought. They would never have been able to carry more. Rose led their horses around to the front of the hut, saddled and bridled. She helped Aubrey secure the packs to the horses backs, and together they rode out of the village, away from the only home they had ever known.
They thoroughly enjoyed themselves that day. A large feast had been set out for all, and they ate to their heart's content. Then came the dancing. They danced on and off for several hours, Rose more than Aubrey. Then another feast where they again stuffed their faces. The it was off to bed. They lay together under a tree, staring at the stars. They whispered together for sveral minutes before dropping off into a deep sleep.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 09:01
“Could you pass me the water, Sorne?” The woman stretched out her arm over the old, wooden table to pick up the heavy jug and handed it over to her husband. She smiled lovingly when their hands touched each other and nodded encouragingly. “Now come on.” She said, when she didn’t only see the thoughtful face of Maenor, but also her daughter’s nervousness. “We will manage, we always did. Look at the bright sides, both of you. I loved living here and of course I will miss this place, our family, our friends, but we will build a new farm, bigger than this one with more opportunities for the horses. There will always be new people to befriend, and once you’ll get married, Maena, we will also have a new family. And isn’t the three of us staying together the most important thing?” She looked at the two most valuable people in her life and smiled hopefully, feeling awful because of their miserableness and a bit guilty for having wanted to go so badly.

But her efforts seemed to have worked. The man answered her smile by placing his right hand on the back of his wife’s neck and placing a soft kiss on her forehead. Then he took his daughter’s hand in his left and said: “We should not complain. We are healthy, we have each other and we have the horses; none of that we will loose by going somewhere else. We have talked about it long and a lot, and even though we may have our doubts, we should not let those get in our way. I have said I was alright with this, and so did you, Maena. The time to discuss has passed long ago, it is now time to focus on our future, and to be grateful for the chance that has been given to us.” With that he pulled back his hands and started to cut the slice of meat lying on his plate, dividing it into three different pieces which he placed carefully on his wife and daughter’s plates.

When they were about to finish their meal, loud trampling of hoofs of a heavy horse were heard outside the cottage and not much later a middle-aged man, his short beard graying and sweat dropping down from his face, entered the room. “Greetings, Eriol.” Maenor rose from his chair and placed his hand on the shoulder of his old friend. “With what purpose is it that you visit our home?” The man smiled warmly and with a little bit of grief, though obviously trying to hide it from his friend. “They have come.” He answered. With joy Sorne rose. “They have?” She repeated, pleased with the prospective of finally going. “Go get the sacks, honey. We will leave to the camp tonight.” Maena nodded, placed her chair close to the table and went to her room, while her father with some help of Eriol went to get the horses ready and her mother cleaned the table and wrapped up the leftovers.

With a slight sigh Maena entered the small bedroom she had been sharing with her parents. She walked to the window and gazed at the scenery, saying goodbye to every little part of it in sweet silence. Twilight had yet come and had caused the heatness of the day to slowly fade away. Darkness was making itself ready and also the stars were about to enter the stage. A small border of the moon had yet appeared and as always its sight made the girl smile. She could still be afraid of the dark sometimes, but the presence of the moon, either in its full glory or just the smallest part, gave her a sense of comfortableness. With great difficulty she got herself away from the window and sat down at the bed. For the last time she touched the darkblue blanket that had keepen her company for the last few years, but for which there was no place in their luggage. For the last time she looked into the mirror her uncle had once given her and for the last time she blew away the dust lying on the closet beneath. After a soft knock on the door her mother entered, closing it carefully behind her again. “It’s time dear.” Sorne smiled and hold her daughter in her arms, while she looked through that room one last time. Her thougts went back to the first time she had come there. She still remembered how nervous she was when Maenor showed it to her, knowing so well he wasn’t supposed to. She remembered his smile when they were married and the cottage was theirs, but also the tears they had shed when their first-born died in her arms, sitting on their bed. She remembered the birth of her healthy daugther and when she looked at the mirror, she remembered her brother’s hands when he carefully placed it there. “Come.” She said eventually, and made herself free from Maena’s embrace. “Your father is waiting.” She smiled and took some of the sacks Maena had put in front of the door, waiting for their leaving.

Outside they handed their luggage to Eriol, who carefully placed it on the horses backs. A little pack Maena held her in hand herself and both her father and mother were busy handling the horses. She whistled softly and her mare came in walking pace towards her. Maena held her close by grabbing her halter, she placed the package between the belt on her dress and with her left hand she held a little mare. From the corner of her eyes she saw how her father was struggling with the large stallion for awhile, but after some time he had calmed him down and after they had said goodbye to Eriol, telling him to send some of their closest friends and family to the camp to come say goodbye, they left the place they were so used to call “home”.

Tired but completely awake Maena lay down on the blankets. With her eyes focused on the moon and her ears slightly aware of the whispering around her she thought of the feast that had been given that night. The food had been nice and she had liked the drinks, but even though she liked it, she wasn’t good at dancing and hardly anyone she knew around, she hadn’t even thought of joining the dancing crowd. She had enjoyed watching her parents dancing, her father helding her mothers hand tenderly and the happy smile on Sorne’s face had been worth gold. But there had been so many people around, so many names and faces to remember, that she didn’t think she’d ever will. She turned on her left and heard the snorting of the horses nearby. Her father had never been quite comfortable at leaving them with strangers and so she could feel the warmth of their bodies from the place she was lying. For awhile she was trying to count the countless stars, but eventually sleep caught her and let her sail away to blue skies and white gulls.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2006 11:30
((Sincere apologies for the delay in posting -- my life has been seized with exam fever! ))

During the evening, Eranric had cast his eyes about for the Elf he had met earlier, but could see no sign. He must have slipped off earlier. Nonetheless he enjoyed himself thoroughly; he had always liked dancing, and he was glad to be among others who were unfamiliar with Edoras -- he always felt such a country bumpkin alongside the inhabitants of the capital. Besides, there was such a lot to talk about with strangers, not like neighbours who knew all the ins and outs of your daily life.

And the opportunity to meet women his own age was also very welcome... the girls in his native village he had known since his boyhood, and he had never found the idea of marrying one of them very appealing; it seemed vaguely incestuous for some reason. They felt like sisters. But things were different now.

He had noted with some amusement how the eyes of almost every man had been glued at some point to that woman with the golden, curling hair. Particularly that tall, dark Gondorian who had declined to dance with her, for all his face was so red! She was beautiful -- very beautiful -- but Eranric wasn't fool enough to entertain the idea that he'd have a chance with her. Even youth and alcohol didn't lend him that much arrogance.

Afterwards, feeling restless, Eranric wandered about the streets of the city. They seemed more narrow and twisty than ever in the pale moonlight. Idly, Eranric looked up, and was startled to see Halhigil sitting casually on a roof. "What in Arda are you doing up there?"

"Hmm?" The elf glanced down at him, mildly surprised at the question. "I was looking at the stars."

"Oh." There didn't seem much more to say. Eranric squinted at the night sky, but there didn't seem anything terribly special about the stars that night. "Where did you go?"

"Here." Halhigil looked down at him and gave a wry smile. "I am not overfond of gatherings."

Eranric shook his head in wonder. Truly Elves were strange folk. How could anyone possibly not like a celebration? "Why not?"

Halhigil gave a short laugh and dropped silently from the rooftop to land beside Eranric in the street. "Because I am boring?" he suggested with a grin, and looked back at the stars for a moment. Painfully shy would have been nearer the mark, but he didn't say it. "How does one actually join this thing, I wonder?"

"Join what?" Eranric was rapidly deciding that he was glad there weren't any secrets he had to eke out of Halhigil, who seemed never to volunteer more information than was explicitly requested.

"The migration." Halhigil looked back at him. "I mean -- does one just go along when they leave, or do you have to sign anything, or what?"

"Sign anything?" Eranric shook his head in surprise. "I doubt it. What would they want that for?"

Halhigil flushed slightly and shrugged. "Oh, I haven't thefaintest idea. I have just emerged from a job entailing small mountains of paperwork, is all."

"You needn't sign anything," said a voice from the end of the alley. "When I joined them in Gondor, we just went along with them." A young man of about Eranric's age, or perhaps a little younger, approached them. His hair was choppy and light brown, slightly incongruous with his origins.

"Thank you," said Halhigil mildly. "Were we talking that loudly?"

The young man smiled, but had the grace to blush. "No. But the streets are quiet. Forgive me. My name is Talkan."

Eranric shrugged and grinned. "What for? My name is Eranric, and this is Halhigil."

As they followed Talkan back to the vast camp just outside the city, Halhigil listened to the two young men as they talked, but said nothing. Their ease and obvious lack of inhibitions suggested that they had both enjoyed the alcohol laid on, but thankfully neither had had enough to be truly drunk. Drunken men, in Halhigil's somewhat limited experience, were not terribly pleasant company. It was easier for him to remain quiet and listen. Talkan seemed at first a fairly ordinary lad -- a stonemason -- and yet there was something in his speech, in the way he replied to questions, that made Halhigil wonder...

"Here we are," Talkan whispered as he picked his way through the tents and people stretched out on the grass. "We're late, best be quiet -- ow!" Talkan swore as he tripped over a man on the ground in the darkness, narrowly missing landing on the woman beside him. "Oh, my apologies!" he said quickly as he picked himself up. "I didn't see you there."

Eranric realised that the now wakened man was the Gondorian he had noticed earlier. And he did not look best pleased.

-------

((*grins and prods Cirion* ))
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2006 09:53
(*Cirion rubs his poked arm in dismay*)

Anger took hold of Cirion an unfamiliar thing for the disciplined man. Abruptly woken by a foot to the face he groggily looked over Alaroen seeing that a young man whom he reckonised by face only was on top of her. The man quickly picked himself up but Cirion did not hear his apologies and unexpected rage erupted thruoghout his body. Cirion reached over and grabbed the young man by the back of his collar, whispering through tightly clenched teeth. "Get away from her!" With a strong pull, Cirion sent the young man tumbling into his companions and turned to face them. His jaws locked together hard as his hand rested upon the hilt of his sword. Looking straight into the emotionless eyes of the elf to the bewildered ones of the culprit, he spoke: "What are you doing?"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2006 09:58
After Marim fell asleep in his small bed, Reycha stil kept sitting by her boy's side, stroking his cheek and hair time after time. She kept remebering what had happened and kept thinking about what could have happened, if it were not for that small man...

Arkaniel's hand lay softly on her shoulder, reminding her that it was the time to leave for the party. As reluctant as she was to leave her son and go, Reycha nodded and rose. She didn't want to disappoint her husband. The girl they had hired to watch over Marim when they were gone was already there, so Reycha had no reason to insist on staying... With a sigh, she rose and kissed Marim goodbye, then she followed Arkaniel to the tents.

The evening turned out to be much better than she had expected. Arkaniel seemed to be in a very good mood, and he kept dancing all the night long. Mostly with Reycha, but he did ask other women, too. She had nothing against it, because she was asked by other men as well, but she found out that the attention ger handsome husband got from the local blondes was making her jealous. Those times she always found a reason to join them ocasionnally and intervene in their conversation, making it clear, that this man was taken.

The morning was already close when the party neared its end. Much to Reycha's displease, there were drunken men all around, but then, she had to be happy that er husband wasn't among them. Hand in hand, they headed back to their private tent. First they checked on Marim and sent the girl to bed, then they fell asleep, too. It had been a long, long day...
In the Realm of Ulmo
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 05:36
Talkan raised his eyebrows. "All right, all right!" he said mildly and tugged his shirt straight. "I said I was sorry. No need for that."

Looking straight into the emotionless eyes of the elf to the bewildered ones of the culprit, he spoke: "What are you doing?"

Talkan, who had been about to leave it, was immediately nettled by the man's tone. "We're building a castle," he replied in a low voice so as not to wake anyone else, but sarcasm rang clear in every syllable. "What do you think we are doing? Running a campaign to wake people by falling over them?"

Eranric scowled, also annoyed by the tone of the question. "We were going to bed. We've quite as much right to be here as you." He folded his arms.

Halhigil heaved a sigh, folded his arms and shook his head almost imperceptibly. However, he met the man's gaze squarely. Elbereth, he thought, Men have such stupid arguments! But he said nothing. He didn't consider it his place to intervene unless things got really nasty.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 12:11
Eranric scowled, also annoyed by the tone of the question. "We were going to bed. We've quite as much right to be here as you." He folded his arms.

Cirion held the elve's gaze before he replied. "Be on your way then and next time watch where your putting your feet."
Then glanced at the two young men.
When they left, the rage softened and he realised that Alaroen was tugging his tunic. "Cirion! what are you doing? You took that quite out of hand it was an accident! Do you welcome violence so eagerly?" Her beautiful face was now distorted with anger.
Cirion was ashamed that he had let jealousy overwhelm discipline. Though he was to proud and would not let her see it. "I thought you were in danger! I did it for you! That is why respectable young ladies like you should not be amongst the prescense of low lives like me."
Getting one last look at her face, that now had a hint of sorrow, Cirion strode off to be amongst the trees.
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 05:55
Before dawn, Arkaniel was already awake and preparing everything for their departure. He took care that all of his possessions were packed, together with those of Marim and Reycha, his beloved wife. He let them two sleep furtherm trying not to wake them. there were still some hours left before they all started the second stage of their journey. He, however, had to take care of some matters before they would go.
He brought a tunic with the emblem of Arnor, the golden Eagle above the White Tree, to all of the new soldiers. The company of knights already had them, but those that joined after Minas tirith, like this Cirion, were still wearing their all tunics, of both Rohan and Gondor. He had dropped a new tunic near every of the sleeping soldiers, except Cirion, whom he hadn't found yet. Arkaniel caught sight of Alaroen's nearly glowing hair. she was sleeping under a tree with a man next to her. Apparently, it was Cirion. He hung the tunic over the shield leaning against the tree and attached the new banner to the spear.

At dawn, the encamment changed from a quiet group of tents and sleeping beings into a bee hive of people collecting their belongings and preparing for departure. While Reycha and Marim were having breakfast, Arkaniel packed the tent. He loaded all their stuff on a chariot pulled by two oxes. this chariot contained not only their stuff, but also chests filled with books, money, documents and everything else that was needed to set up an efficient government in Annuminas. Arkaniel pulled out one of the empty books and one of those new inventions of Dale. It was a short wooden stick with a smal amount of charcoal or something alike inside it. There was a point of this charcoal-like substance on one end of the tool. it was intended to write with, without having to dip in a jar of ink every few words. This tol was quite useful for what Arkaniel intended to do during the travel. It allowed him to write while standing, walking or even while riding a horse. In this way he could make a list of all the people while they were travelling. this list would not only contain their names, but also their financial state, professions and level of education. This way Arkaniel would be organise everything quickly once they reached their destination. And, also very important, he would get to know all of the settlers while making this list.

All the settlers were ready to go, about two hours after dawn. Arkaniel ordered one of his officers to give the signal. The group formed a long caravan after a platoon of knights, going north-west, to the gap of Rohan. Arkaniel caught up with Reycha, while Marim was just a bit ahead of them, leading Hanthalon by the reigns. He talked with her about Marim's education.
He then excused himself and lead Marim and Reycha back to their tent. Marim went to sleep soon, but Reycha was another story. She was still shaken from the near accident. Arkaniel comforted her, trying to take away her comcern and whispering sweet words in her ear. He also thought about what she had said about Marim's education. Once she would be calmed, he would speak about it again and offer that for the duration of their journey, he would give it. Once in Annuminas, he could contact scholar and a swordmaster to take over under Reycha's watchfull eyes

She didn't say anything, but he could see the answer on her face. he then kissed her goodbye and told her he would join up with her and Marim for lunchbreak.
Arkaniel paced quickly to the head of the caravan and started making the list. After having 'registered' three families, he addressed a man, who was clearly Rohirrim. He told the man about the list and what he wanted to know. The rohirrim told Arkaniel his name was Maenor and presented his family to him, under which a very beautiful daughter.

[Miriel, hope this is a nice opening for you.]

[Edited on 23/5/2006 by CoNFuSeD_Elessar]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: May 22, 2006 06:01
PB gathered the other two to a table at the Inn. they had spent the last couple of days discussing their hopes and dreams for the new Annuminas, but it was now time to leave the Forsaken inn and head to Bree, to meet with those coming from the South.
'We have most of our belongings and our smithying tools packed in two wagons, and the Inn has been reimbursed for them , and for the teams to pull them. Sleep well tonight, for tomorrow we will be up at dawn and will head to Bree. If my calculations are correct, Arkaniel and the others should only ne a few days away by now.'
He then poured glasses of wine for Bel, the young girl, and himself and they drank to the success of the venture.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 02:19
The night had been long and cold, full of noise and sounds Maena could not place. They had woken her up for several times and each time it took her longer to fall back asleep again. But eventually morning came and this time the sweet sounds of singing birds reached her ears and brought her back to reality. The sleepy girl yawned and sat up, strechting out her arms and untying the string of straws she had used to keep her long hair together in a braid. The wavy, blond hair fell down over her shoulders as she rose and started to pack the blankets. Her parents had been up already and were busy making the horses ready. Her father had started with a fiery mare. The sorrel had been with them for a couple of months now and was almost ready to be sold again. She had been a tough one to handle, but then again, such horses had always been Maenor’s favourites. He had gotten quite fond of her and would definitely have a hard time letting her go again. He was hoping he’d find a suitable owner during the journey; there would be a lot of people in need of a well-trained horse. After he had been finished with her he started on the chestnut stallion Maena had always been so afraid of. And while the mare was on the end of her training, he was only at the beginning. The man had been enourmously happy when the chestnut had turned out to be trained enough to be taken with them, but he was still hoping Baldor wouldn’t cause too much trouble on their way. In the meantime Sorne had been taking care of a black stallion, who missed all of a stallion’s usual temper. She had adored him from the minute he arrived and regretted the fact she couldn’t keep him. On the moment Maena had woken up however, she had been getting their last pupil ready. It was a little mare, barely higher than 1.45, and she was a dark kind of brown. She had a broad blaze starting right abover her eyes and ending in a triangle; including both her nostrils. Her hind legs were white from the hoof till the ankle. Her right foreleg had a white coronet and the left one was completely brown. Their own three horses, the white mare Snowfall for Maena, a darkbrown, almost black gelding for Maenor and Sorne’s grey mare Silfren, were still patiently wating for they human friends to give them some attention as well.

About an hour later the whole camp was ready to go. They were led away by an officer while some of the soldiers were trying to get everyone in line. There pace was slow and everyone was still a bit confused, but not long after they speeded up and the quietness descent at the long chain of men, women, children and horses. Soon however Baldor started to nag and the Rohirrim suggested he’d take him forward to keep him busy. He had been riding on his own gelding and held the reins of the little mare in his right and Baldor’s halter in his left hand. Sorne had been riding Silfren and held the apple of her eye in her right and the fiery mare (calmed down by the quiet temper of both Silfren and the black stallion) in her left hand. Maena had been walking besides Snowfall. But now Maenor dismounted and handed the little mare to his daughter. After that he mounted again and on his gelding and with Baldor beside him he went forward, untill he came at the beginning of the chain.

There he met the man he had seen a couple of times before in the camp, but whom he had never spoken to. The Gondorian introduced himself as Arkaniel; the leader of this long chain of people and soon to be their new king. Quickly he explained what he was doing and so Maenor dismounted and with both horses beside him he took Arkaniel with him to his family. “Sorne, Maena,” he started when they had arrived at the right place. “This is Arkaniel, the man who will lead us to our new home. Arkaniel,” he addressed the Gondorian. “This beautiful lady up this grey mare is my wife Sorne and the girl hiding between these two horses is my daughter Maena.” Sorne smiled kindly. “It is an honour meeting you, my Lord.” And Maena as well looked at him and while letting Snowfall go for a moment she bowed, quickly turning her attention to the horses again after that. “We are simple farmers who make their living by buying yearlings and after a couple of months of hard work selling them again. We don’t have much, but we’re greatful for what we have. We don’t have a high level of education but we’ve got the skills to be good at what we do and so we hope we can be a help for your city.” He looked at his daughter and smiled warmly. “And as far as my daughter’s concerned; once she'll get out of her shell you'll see she can be a great use for Arnor as well. "Maena blushed deeply and hid her face in shame by this fatherly proud. “Please, father.” She whispered, but the man did not pay attention to it.

[Edited on 25/5/2006 by ~Mirilien~Undómiel~]
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 01:31
Cirion with his back against a tree stared up at the treetops, still feeling the blood pounding through his veins. There was a slight rustle and an alram went on through his mind.
There was no wind that night.
The alarm continued to race through his mind the feeling of wrongness. Everything was quiet except for the pounding and alarm in his head. He loosened his sword and drew it sweeping with a wide arc then bearing it in both hands. Holding it straight in front of his face he looked up nervously to the treetops. A figure dropped to his right and he spun sweeping his sword as he did. HIs sword stopped inches from the little man, Grun-baru-Grun's face. "Grun, what are you doing here?" Cirion whispered panting heavily as he put away his sword.
"Grun-baru-Grun ask tall man same question, Grun-baru-Grun just scouting, looking at stars.... tall man away from sleeping bed."
"it dosen't matter Grun just wanted some time to myself"
"Grun-baru-Grun knows, Tall man must swallow his pride in order to snare pretty lady."
Cirion laughed at this, at the mystery of the small man. "I dont want 'Pretty Lady'. I thought you did though?" Cirion looked over at Grun-baru-Grun with a mischevious grin. Grun sighed and shook his head. "Pretty Lady only have eyes for Tall, strong handsome man not for small Grun-baru-Grun." Cirion put his hand on Grun's small shoulder. "You are a good man Grun-baru-Grun you saved my life and the life of Arkeniel's son and even now when there is no percieved threat you still scout for the settlers. If a pretty lady cant see past your looks into your odd yet kind nature, i feel sorry for that pretty lady." He made a reassuring grin as Grun-baru-Grun slapped him on the shoulder. "Tall man also good man. Tall man must not feel sorry for Golden hair Pretty Lady, Grun-baru-Grun see something good in Pretty Lady something Tall man wants, even if Tall man is to proud and disciplined to accept it. Tall man must go back, Must apologise." Grun-baru-gave Cirion's shoulder a tight squeeze then jumped up and grabbed a branch of the nearby tree to sing himself up. Cirion looked up at the sky it was dawn so he trudged back to the camp thinking carefully on what to say. On his return things lay undisturbed except for the fact Alaroen had fled and a new tunic laying over his sheild and the banner attached to his spear. He tore his old one off and put it in his pack, then pulled Arkeniel's new one on. He stared at the Golden Eagle above the white tree for a long time before setting off to get ready for departure.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email