Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Arnor's Rebirth (read OOC, join by pm permission only)
on: May 27, 2006 11:02
((Right, I'm afraid I can't post til next Sunday, as I'm away in Scotland. Woobidoo.))

Alliss sipped at the wine thoughtfully. She had never drunk any before. Old enough for wine, but not for ale... interesting. She turned the thought of a new life over in her mind. Her main concern, though she hadn't voiced it since she hadn't been asked, was actually finding someone who would take her on as an apprentice. She had finished her basic training, but at seventeen she still needed at least a year before she was allowed to set bones and perform surgery. Asking favours was something Alliss hated doing -- and it would indeed be a favour she would be asking. She wasn't the kind of person people were predisposed to do favours for, and she knew it.

In the last few days some of her natural self-consciousness had fallen away thanks to the frank, open friendliness of the two -- though she was still somewhat in awe of Belrustan, who said so little and seemed to see so much. She looked at them both, suddenly curious; they had discussed all their hopes and plans over the last few days, but she still did not know why they had decided to go. She put her glass down, looking into the deep red liquid before looking up. "If I may -- why is it that you decided to go with the migration?" she asked, surprising herself by her own daring.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 11:05
Over the few days she had been at the forsaken Inn, Bel had become quite fond of the young girl. Once she had realized that Bel and Potbelly were taking her for who she was rather than for her looks, she had relaxed and become a rather interesting person, seemingly wise beyond her years. She would definitely be an asset to the new Arnor.
he nthought aboute it for a bit before responding to her question. Somehow, between her innocent questioning and, perhaps, the influence of the wine, bel decided to reveal more of himself than he had shared with anyone since the death of his father.
'I'm afraid, my dear young Nel, that your simple question needs a rather complex answer. Before this night, I've never even explained this to Master Hairyfoot. PB nodded in agreement. I'll start off by giving you a bit of my history. My father was a skilled jewel and metal-smith in Beleriand. After the end of the First Age and the destruction of Beleriand, he joined Celebrimbor and some other skilled craftsmen and formed the Gwaith-i-Mirdain in Eregion, in the region now known as Hollin. I was born there, and when I reached manhood I became apprenticed to my father, as I also showed some skill in working with metals and jewels. About that time, a skiled maia, who called himsel Anntar began teaching more skills to my father abd his associates. He had no use for a lowly apprentice though and sent me away. My apprenticeship then went on in secret, for my father defied Anatar and continued to teach me, even some of his newly learned skilld. I was indeed fotunate in this skills were never tainted by Annatar, and I fell beneath his notice when his true nature; he was in reality Sauron the chief disciple of Morgoth, and I was the the only craftsman from Eregion to survive when Sauron came to take the Rings of powerthat had been made with his aid. I fled, along with many others from Eregion, to Imladris, where Elrond bult a stronghold. I then used the skills I had learned to make weapons and armour, and many of the Elves in the Last Alliance were equipped by me.'
' In the Third Age, i plit my time between improving Imladris with weapons and with gates and doors that Orcs could not pass, and also with improving my skills as a crafsman. I have now, thanks to millenia of practise, surpassed the abilities of any Elf still on Middle-Earth.'
This brings me up to why I have decided to join this venture. Many of the Elves have left, or will soon be leaving, for Eressea and the undying lands, but I have no wish to join them. Also I have have many skills that can be useful to those who remain here on Middle-earth and I feel it would be wrong to leave without passing them on. The Elves no longer need my skills, and for millenia I have been too busy to pass them on to the other races, but it is now time for me to pass on my skills to the mortal races who are inheriting the rule of this world."

Alliss had a look of awe and wonder on her face, so Bell added, a bit to dispel that; "There is another reason, my dear, but I'll tell it to you now only if you promise never to mention it again.
Alliss excitedly nodded in agreement
'Vanity!'; he stated.' I'm vain!! I've become the greatest smith on Middle-earth since the death of Feanor, and I'm rather proud of that accomplishment. I fear that if I was to go to Aman, I would be just one more craftsman among many. I'd rather stay here and be the best, than go there and be one among many'
That said, Bel smiled, stood up,affectionately kissed the girl on the cheek, gave PB a hug, and headed to his room .
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2006 07:36
There he met the man he had seen a couple of times before in the camp, but whom he had never spoken to. The Gondorian introduced himself as Arkaniel; the leader of this long chain of people and soon to be their new king. Quickly he explained what he was doing and so Maenor dismounted and with both horses beside him he took Arkaniel with him to his family. “Sorne, Maena,” he started when they had arrived at the right place. “This is Arkaniel, the man who will lead us to our new home. Arkaniel,” he addressed the Gondorian. “This beautiful lady up this grey mare is my wife Sorne and the girl hiding between these two horses is my daughter Maena.” Sorne smiled kindly. “It is an honour meeting you, my Lord.” And Maena as well looked at him and while letting Snowfall go for a moment she bowed, quickly turning her attention to the horses again after that. “We are simple farmers who make their living by buying yearlings and after a couple of months of hard work selling them again. We don’t have much, but we’re greatful for what we have. We don’t have a high level of education but we’ve got the skills to be good at what we do and so we hope we can be a help for your city.” He looked at his daughter and smiled warmly. “And as far as my daughter’s concerned; once she'll get out of her shell you'll see she can be a great use for Arnor as well. "Maena blushed deeply and hid her face in shame by this fatherly proud. “Please, father.” She whispered, but the man did not pay attention to it.

After greeting Soren and Maena, Arkaniel noted everythying down the rohirrim told him. He was then thinking about the remark Maenor made about his daughter, nearly sensing the potential of the girl, just by her way of handling the horse and her manners...
He said: "I am sure we can make good use of your services, for we will need many horses, for miltary purposes, for messenger purposes etc. In fact, maybe i will buy a horse soon for myslef, or at least, for my son. I'll come back later for that. I would also like to offer Maena a postion at the palace, once we're in Arnor. She will be the personal 'maid' of my wife, if she accepts the position. She will receive payment in gold and will get educated in reading, writing, history and will get some weapon training. This way, she can become one of the first new nobles in Annuminas."

They were shocked in disbelief, but came to themselves rather quick. "Once you have considered the offer, one of you can come looking for me to tell me your answer", Arkaniel added, "I'll be easy to find."
He then mounted his horse and rode back to the head of the column, where he started getting to know people further. At noon, the group stopped and started preparing some quick snacks for lunch, mostly sandwiches. Arkaniel joined Reycha and Marim and gave them a quick update about his offer to Maena. He hoped Reycha would agree with him on it, but he knew her well enough to expect that agreement to come soon, whether or not after an insulted look for thinking she might need help. After lunch he kissed her again and continued his task of making notes about all the settlers.

Having talked with about a hundred people, he now reached Alaroen and Cirion. He greeted them: "Hello my friends, although I know you already I'll need some more information about you. But first, Cirion, once we reach the gap of Rohan, I want you to select nine other soldiers and cover our rightflank. I know the roads should be safe now, but a large group of unarmed people, with only few soldiers might be a too tempting prey for Orcs, Trolls or Dunlending. Now, lets start with this administrative task first."
Arkaniel noted down everything Alaroen and Cirion had to tell about themselves...
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 11:29
((The following was co-written by CoNFuSeD_Elessar and me. ))

“I mean, what’s the point?” asked Talkan earnestly as he did up his bootlace, his light brown hair flopping into his eyes. “I’m not denying that we should, of course not, it’s just a general question.”

Eranric shook his head in bemusement. Talkan had suddenly started a conversation on why one ought to follow orders from social superiors, and he felt a little lost. The young smith had never even considered the reasons, let alone started wondering about it out of the blue. “Because they’re in charge?” he offered.

“Well yes, but why should they be?” Talkan stood up. “I mean – and no disrespect to rulers everywhere – but who are they to say that we can do this and that, but not the other? Why?”

Halhigil looked over his shoulder from tightening the girth on his horse’s saddle. “If nobody respected the hierarchy,” he said, “then we’d have chaos. Those who lead us – for whatever reason – cannot do so effectively unless they can rely on the obedience of at least the majority of their subjects.” He regarded Talkan with interest. ‘Not your average mason’s lad,’ he thought to himself.

Talkan nodded. “I suppose so… society would collapse.” He paused. “Is that a bad thing?”

‘Definitely not your average mason’s lad.’ Halhigil looked up to see someone approach the little group purposefully. “You may have to contain your musings a moment, Talkan. I think we are wanted.”

“Allow me to introduce myself,” said the tall, clean-shaven Gondorian when he reached them. “My name is Arkaniel -- I will have to ask you some questions for several purposes.” He smiled. “Namely that I would like to get to know you all a little better, but also because I have some records here that need filling in.”

Eranric nodded, somewhat surprised by the appearance of the records, and remembered what Halhigil had said the night before. "Of course, my lord. What do you wish to know?"

Arkaniel smiled again. “Well, for one, I would like to know your names! And please do call me Arkaniel. I am not really used to lord.”

Talkan smiled; he hated stuffiness and Arkaniel had just gone up a notch in his estimation. "My name is Talkan -- and this is... Eranric and Halhigil," he remembered, gesturing towards the two others.

Arkaniel noted the names on his sheet of paper. “Well then, how is the journey going up till now?”

Talkan nodded. "Actually, I am rather enjoying it. I've never left Gondor before in my life, so it's all rather an adventure for me." He grinned.

Eranric shrugged one shoulder and gave a lopsided smile. "Well, I come from Rohan, so I've done hardly any travelling at all."

“So how were your lives before this?”

"Comfortably dull in my case," said Talkan. "Son of a mason, small town, moved for the rebuilding of Osgiliath... I won't bore you with it." He glanced at Halhigil, who had been quite happy to stay silent, but recognised his cue.

"Somewhat... fraught. I was a soldier in Eryn Lasgalen until very recently," he said quietly, but did not offer further details.

Arkaniel shook his head. “Such stories don't bore me at all, Talkan -- and we need many more like you for the rebuilding of Annuminas.”

Talkan laughed. "You're very kind, but I really believe I've told all there is to tell. "

Arkaniel turned back to Halhigil. “But Halhigil, can you remind me where Eryn Lasgalen is? I heard of it, but I am more used to the common language names.”

Halhigil smiled. "Forgive me -- Mirkwood is how it was once named, until recent days. I believe it translates as forest of greenleaves."

“Oh, of course.” He looked slightly ashamed of himself. “How could I forget? And for how many years have you been a soldier there?”

A glint of humour twinkled in the grey eyes of the elf. "For better or worse, around eight hundred years."

“Well, I am glad to have such an experienced warrior with us,” replied Arkaniel with a smile, “but do you have any other skills, too? As for that matter, Talkan or Eranric, do you?”

"Before I joined the army I was an architecht," said Halhigil. "I do not know whether that is of any use to you." Privately he hoped it was; he wouldn't be at all sorry to go back to it. "I like playing around with figures."

"I am a blacksmith," said Eranric. "Nothing fancy, though, I have to admit."

Talkan shrugged. "Stonemason, predictably enough." He grinned. "Does asking awkward questions count as a skill?"

“Well, we could always use an architect, I haven't met one so far in the group.” He directed an understanding glance at Eranric. “Nothing to worry about, Eranric. Maybe you haven't had time yet to discover what other things you are good at. Same for you Talkan. Although I do like that asking awkward questions part.” He grinned. “Can you all read and or write?”

Talkan nodded. "Read, write, calculate." Eranric shot him a curious look, and he shrugged. "My grandfather was a scholar."

Eranric nodded, and felt the mystery was solved concerning the odd questions. "I can read and write well enough for my own purposes," said Eranric. "Not what you might call scholarly." He glanced at Halhigil, who said nothing and seemed to be absent-mindedly plaiting his horse's mane.

Arkaniel noted this down. “Excellent -- I think those count as very important skills. What are your hopes for the new Arnor -- or at least the new Annuminas?”

"Er," said Eranric and Talkan simultaneously -- they looked at each other and laughed. "Not quite sure as yet," Eranric admitted. "Is a steady job and settling somewhere new horribly ambitious?"

Talkan shrugged and grinned. "I'll see how things unfold. I have no expectations. That's the best bit." He looked at Halhigil, who seemed to be doing his best to look invisible. "What about you?"

Halhigil looked round. He was deeply relieved that the literacy question had passed, and prayed to the Valar that Arkaniel wouldn't return to it. "To be frank, a little peace of mind doing something I like with hours that are not ridiculous," he admitted. "I've never really had the opportunity to play around with numbers and drawings since I joined the army."

Arkaniel nodded before looking up at Halhigil once more. “This all sounds really good. But excuse me Halhigil, I think I missed your answer on whether or not you could read and write.”

Halhigil flushed a little. Oh, Valar, he hated it when people asked him questions like this. He could read and write... after a fashion. The fact remained that it took him about an hour to read a single sheet of paper and generally left him with a splitting headache afterwards. If he said yes, he would be stuck with yet another job involving piles of documents and consequently 21-hour working days, and probably hours at a stretch lying down in a dark, quiet room. If he said no, then lo and behold, he could be the village idiot for a whole new community. He rubbed the back of his neck. "My handwriting is appalling. I'm the last person you want keeping records."

“But you can read and write?”

An image from not so very long ago flashed into his mind, of himself pale-faced and fast asleep at the desk, quill still in hand, surrounded by piles of unfinished paperwork. He flushed deeper and studied his horse’s mane. “Given enough time.” “To the tune of several hours per document,’ he thought silently. ‘Please don’t ask me any more.’

Frowning but not pursuing the issue, Arkaniel wrote down everything and came to his final question: “Was there a specific reason for giving up your old lives?”

Talkan shook his head. “Not particularly, apart from the fact that there wasn’t much demand for masons after Osgiliath was rebuilt. I came seeking work and some new scenery.”

Eranric shrugged one shoulder. “I have to earn a living somewhere. My parents are gone and my village was destroyed. There are smiths aplenty in Rohan – it’s hard to find work unless you can work for your father.”

“I am sorry,” said Arkaniel with a mixture of pity and understanding.

Eranric shook his head and stared at a point somewhere left of Arkaniel’s ear rather than meet his eyes. “Don’t be,” he said briefly. “It happens.”

“And as for me,” said Halhigil reluctantly, but sensing that a change of subject was needed, “There is no longer a desperate need for soldiers in my homeland, so I felt free to leave. My relationship with my commander…” His cheek twitched almost imperceptibly and he stared at his horse again. “It leaves something to be desired.”

Tactfully, Arkaniel did not inquire further. “Well, many thanks to you all – you have told me all I need to know,” he said, but not without a flicker of a curious glance at Halhigil, who didn’t meet his eyes. “I hope the rest of the journey will be pleasant for you.” He inclined his head and made his way to the next people.

Halhigil promptly turned and ostensibly busied himself with the horse’s girth until his cheeks stopped burning. He hated himself sometimes. ‘Not only stupid and well-nigh illiterate, but a stupid illiterate coward who blushes easily. Marvelous.’ Talkan looked at the back of his head for a long moment, burning with curiosity, then sensed what Eranric already had: that the elf really wanted to be left alone for a while, and he slipped off accordingly.

----

((If you're curious too, you can delve into his bio in the Db if you're really keen. Lol.))

[Edited on 7/6/2006 by nelenata]

[Edited on 28/12/2006 by nelenata]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 10:09
After Arkaniel had told Recha about his idea to hire a girl as her private maid and turn her into one of the first nobles, the black-haired woman had said nothing. She had just nodded. SHe had wanted to argue and say that she did not need any maid, that she was fine enough and managing... But then another thought occurred to her. Arkaniel was to become the new ruler of Annuminas. Her husband was to be the Lord of all that land. But his wife was... She was still nothing but a commoner.

Reycha sat in the wagon pulled by two horses where all their personal belongings were. Her chin rested in her hands, her deep dark eyes watching the road but seeing none of the sights around. The young woman looked calm, but inside she was distressed. She suddenly saw it clear, how different they were, her and Arkaniel. How different their worlds were.

"Mom, look! I am driving all by myself now! Look!" came Marim's excited shout from beside the coachman's seat. Reycha looked up. The little boy was holding the long reins of both horses proudly as the coachman smiled at him and at his lady. Reycha lifted her eye-brows.

"Wow! Great! You will soon become the best coachman in the whole host!" she gave an encouraging smile to her son and a warning look to the coachman. The man nodded assuringly as the boy thurned again to his new task.

Reycha returned to her musings. Was she unworthy her husband? This thought had ocured to her, but she had never looked deeper into it. Her eyes fell to her skirt, and sho stroked it with her hand. A fine fabric and it sat well. But - was it the garb the Lord's wife should be wearing? Arkaniel had never said anything about Reycha's clothing. But now she felt it was too plain, too simple, too... Mousy.

Unworthy to stand beside her husband. Reycha caught a glimpse of Arkaniel riding at the head of the column. He looked so proud, so lordly! And she... As a "lady" she needed a maid to help her do things, and she had to look at least acceptable not to dishonour her husband in front of others.

By the Valar! How was she going to change? She knew now she had to, but - how? With a sigh, Reycha returned to watching the scenery passing by.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 03:59
I am sorry ya'll... Our Internet went down for like two months!! I think that i will not rejoin for i feel that my characters are already to far out of the plot line.... So then this is fair well.
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 06:52
[OOC: Joint post by Nifredil and me. This is quite a long post to be honest.]

It was nearing dinner time, when Arkaniel stopped getting to know people better. He rode to the head of the column and he talked a bit with the soldiers there. He discussed with them what he had ordered Cirion to do once they reached the Gap of Rohan. It was important that the group stayed safe from any harm and although the roads were supposed to be safe now, it was always possible some rogues or other dangers couldn’t resist the enormous collection of supplies and possessions everyone was carrying. His single company of knights was capable of resisting about anything they could meet, but it was spread out over a far too long column to be quickly effective. Luckily, there were many who had sufficient weapon skills to be not entirely defenceless, especially experienced warriors like Halhigil.

After a bit of talking and laughing, he turned around as the group stopped and set up camp. He rode towards the cart on which Reycha and Marim were riding. He saw Marim with the reigns in his hands, leading the horses all by himself. By the look on his face, he was having the time of his life. Reycha however, looked a bit worried and depressed. He hoped it had nothing to do with him searching a maid to help her. By the time Arkaniel reached them, the cart had already stopped, and Reycha was ordering the men around to help her build a tent for the three of them. She smiled at her husband as she noticed him coming, and continued unwrapping the salted pork and vegetables she had planned to cook for the dinner. Arkaniel dismounted and took her in his strong arms, kissing her warmly, not minding everyone watching them. He felt the love surging through his body, as strong as always. "Arkaniel!" she deprived him blushing. She could never get used to this. However, she couldn't hide a wide and content smile. And she knew her husband saw it. Reycha tried to wash the cabbages, but then gave up. She put them down and turned to Arkaniel and returned his kiss. "What took you this long? I nearly forgot how you look." she teased him. He grinned, happy to see her smiling, and replied dryly: “meeting tons and tons of new women”. He winked and kissed her again. The men setting up the tent, disappeared silently, leaving the couple ‘alone’ or alone as was possible in such a large group. Reycha nor Arkaniel was aware of the fact that they were ‘alone’ now, they only had eye for each other. Suddenly they heard laughter, from quite near. Apparently, Marim had been watching them through the wheels of the cart, while staying out of sight himself. "Marim!" Reycha turned around and knelt down to see him through the wheels. "Get out of there and bring me some logs, will you?" she ordered the boy playfully. Marim gave another laugh, then disappeared

Arkaniel loved Marim as if he were his own flesh and blood. He liked the boy’s straightforward, but polite manners and his care for everything and everyone. He would be a fine heir one day. He just hoped that if he and Reycha would have children of their own, it wouldn’t cause any troubles about heritage, since Arkaniel saw Marim as his prime heir. He whispered, teasingly, in Reycha’s ear: “That boy resembles his mother more by the day.” After which he kissed her again. Reycha, however, hadn't really thought about it. And, at the moment, her nostrils caught the scent that entered their tent from a dinner that was being cooked on a fire nearby. "Let me get our dinner ready before your stomach starts rumbling too loud. The people around might assume I keep you starving."
“If you really must, then I can’t stop you from going to get our dinner”, Arkaniel joked. He watched her leaving the tent, almost immediately returning with their dinner. Marim entered a few moments later and they ate the lovely meal, sitting cosily together. After having finished, Reycha wanted to clean up immediately, directing her son and her husband to stay seated. While she was outside, washing the cooking pot and the dishes, Arkaniel was talking to Marim. “I saw you enjoyed reining the horses. Soon I will teach you to ride a horse by yourself. As for that matter, you might be a bit short for riding my horse, so if you like, we can buy a smaller one tomorrow, from one of the rohirrim horse herders. But only if you really want to.” Reycha, having finished cleaning up, entered the tent again, while Marim was thinking. He wanted to talk to her about what depressed her, but he needed to wait for Marim to go and play outside the tent, or for him to sleep. "Marim? I believe there are a couple of your new friends out there waiting," Reycha looked into the tent. The boy exclaimed joufully. "Oh mom, can I go play?!" "You can," Reycha smiled. "But be careful, will you?' her expression hardened at the memory of what had happened the previous night. Marim dashed outside where a boy and a girl his age were waiting impatiently, both clearly twins. Reycha was about finishing washing the dishes, keeping an eye on the kids at the same time.

Suddenly she felt two strong warm arms wrapping around her waist. The young woman had never noticed Arkaniel sneaking up. "Mmmmm....." she smiled feeling him kiss her neck. He slowly turned her around, now kissing her full on her lips now. “Can you come inside for a moment, we have to talk”, he whispered. "But..." she said thinking about the dishes that were not finished. However, she thought better of it and decided to leave them. They were not going anywhere. Once inside, he seated in front of her, face to face. "Is there anything on your mind, my love?", he asked her gently. "At moments when you are alone, you seem both depressed and worried. If there is anything I can do to help you, I will." He almost drowned in her deep brown eyes, while saying this. By the Valar, how much he loved her, it was unimaginable. Reycha lowered her eyes, unable to meet his keen sight. She felt tears rising caused by the deep and tender love she saw in her husband's eyes. "I... I hoped you wouldn’t notice…" she whispered. "I wouldn't be a good husband if I didn't, I reckon. Please tell me what is on your heart." Reycha opened her mouth and closed it again. There seemed to be a barrier inside her that kept her from revealing her heart to Arkaniel. She even wished something would happen to call him away and interrupt this conversation. "Arkaniel..." she tried again, looking up. His tender eyes almost took her courage away again. "It is just that... Sometimes I don't feel WORTH you. I feel... I am holding you back. You are a born leader, but me..." she ducked her head. Arkaniel started to say something, but Reycha interrupted him. She knew that she would not say everything otherwise. "I have been watching you these past days. The people relate to you as to their Lord, and you ARE a lord! In everything you are, in everything you do. I just had never really noticed that, while sitting at home with Marim. And then, I had to look at myself. And I really can't find a reason why you chose to marry me! Except for the fact that you fell in love with me, of course," a sparkle shone in her dark eyes, and the corners of the mouth arched. "Reycha, dearest! What are you saying!" Arkaniel sighed, taking her in his arms and holding her tight. His heart trembled at the very thought that the woman he held above all others could see herself as unworthy.

Right after that, a rush of anger entered his heart. That horrible man that had been calling himself her husband for four years was lucky to be dead already! No other had put this fear and this self-underestimation in his wonderful Reycha, but he alone. And that Arkaniel could never forgive. Right after that rush, he realised it was wrong to blame anyone now, all that mattered now was Reycha. He pulled Reycha in his lap, wrapping her in his arms and rocking slightly, trying to give her all the comfort and the feeling of safety she needed. Reycha sighed and wrapped her arms around Arkaniel's waist, while letting her chin rest on his wide shoulder. How different he was from Pran! How very much greater a person and more wonderful as a man. And how much she loved him! This realization broke out of her along with a flood of tears. "I am sorry!" Arkaniel comforted her the best he could. "You shouldn't worry, you have done nothing wrong. But please don't underestimate yourself so much." "I married you because I love you, not because I wanted you to become a lady or something else". "But I must... And you should know that" Reycha said sadly. "Or else I won't be able to stand by your side, I would have to remain hidden from the world". "The only reason I think I can handle this being a Lord, is because I know you are there, by my side", Arkaniel whispered, "I am proud of you, of being your husband. You are the most wonderful person I know, and the only women I will ever love. You won't become a lady if you start to dress up beyond all recognition and start ordering people around... you are a lady already and one that is loved by 'her people'." Reycha looked at him surprised, the flood of tears suddenly ceasing. "What 'my people'?" she asked. "You call me Lord already, many of the settlers already refer to me as their King, and you think you are not worthy enough for me, but you forget, they see you as their Lady or even as their Queen, They will follow your lead as much as they will follow mine and they honour you as much as they honour me, some, especially the bachelors, honour you even more." That last part he said with a smile, especially since her face shone with disbelief. He pulled her head closer and kissed her intently and very long on her wonderful, sweet tasting lips. The surprise was so thorough; reycha did not react at first. A Lady? A Queen?! How in Middle-earth.... but then Arkaniel's burning kisses washed these thoughts away from her mind.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 06:35

"Your grandfather was a scholar?" Eranric asked as they walked.

Talkan nodded. "My mother's father -- my father's family were never much for book-learning. But he decided that his grandson wasn't going to get away without an education." He shrugged and laughed. "Geography, history, thinking... And I've driven everyone mad with my questions ever since."

"Don't envy you."

Talkan shook his head. "No, it's good. I've always liked learning. Couldn't face the idea of being a scribe or a teacher though, so I learnt Father's trade." He sighed and kicked a pebble on the floor. "I'm not terribly keen on it, to tell the truth. Masonry... the best bit of it is that it's mindless enough to be able to think about other things at the same time. It's not as if we often get to make statues or anything interesting. Not someone of my experience, at least."

Eranric slapped him on the back. Somehow, he felt as though they had known each other at least a year, rather than just a night. "Ah, perhaps Lord Arkaniel is right. You might find something else."

"Maybe. I mean, what I really like is thinking and finding things out. And what use is that?" Talkan shrugged and changed the subject. "What do you think of Arkaniel?"

"I can't think of him without a 'lord' in front of his name, for a start." Eranric grinned. "I think he might have trouble getting rid of that. But yes, I think he'll be good... as far as I'm a judge of such things, at least. Easy to talk to."

Talkan nodded. "Tactful... seems to know when to stop asking, which is certainly something."

Eranric sucked a tooth thoughtfully. "Didn't seem to stop soon enough for Halhigil's taste, did he? I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so uncomfortable."

"Mmm." Talkan ran a hand through his hair. "I'd say he couldn't read or write and didn't want to say so, but..." He shook his head. "No, how likely is that? The Elves all get taught to read and write, by all accounts. And besides, he said he was an architecht. You have to be damn good with figures for that. It's not for the stupid." The young mason eyed the solitary figure with his head tilted to one side. "I might ask him."

Eranric shook his head. "No, don't, for pity's sake. If he wanted to talk about it, he would have said. Let him alone."

"Oh, alright then. Do you really only want to get a job and settle down?" One thing Talkan simply couldn't comprehend was a lack of wild dreams and mad hopes, however vague.

Eranric sighed. "I think so. Most people seem to have enough trouble keeping an even keel without chasing rainbows."

"Valar, you're so pedestrian!" But there was no malice in Talkan's easy tone. "Chasing rainbows is what life is about."

"And you're off your head." Eranric smiled. Here was someone he could comfortably bicker with.
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 08:31
[OOC: for people who were waiting for it, we arrive in Bree in this post, which doesn’t mean you can post about something that happens right after your previous post.]

It was already past dawn, when Arkaniel waked up. He turned over and smiled when he saw Reycha next to him, still deeply asleep. He gently touched her cheek, turning her face towards his. He slowly kissed her awake… she slowly opened her eyes and returned his kisses warmly. They wrapped their arms around each other and their kisses became more intensive. A few moments later, Arkaniel stopped kissing and said: “I feel really sad now, for we really must be getting up. I wish we were in Annuminas already, so we wouldn’t have to stop now and even could continue where we stopped last night”. He smiled while Reycha started blushing as always when thinking about such things. Arkaniel got up slowly, stretching and yawning, for he was still immensely tired. He quickly searched his clothes together, dressed and went outside, to prepare packing up, while Reycha woke up Marim.

When they came outside, Arkaniel already had packed up everything they used last evening and started on the tent now. Reycha helped by folding the canvas and after they had put everything on the cart, he took her closer to him again. “I am going to finish the administrative work today, so from tomorrow on, I will have much more time again to spend with you and Marim. We could even ride around together, so you get to know more people as well. And we maybe could buy a horse for Marim…”. He added: “Oh, before I forget it, Maena, the girl I asked to be your servant, could be coming to you this somewhere during the day. I am sure you’ll like her.” He bent over to kiss her one last time. He felt the love surging through his body as usual. She was everything in his life. The day before he was shocked to find out what she was depressed about, but they had talked long and after Marim went to bed, they had made quite a romantic evening … night… of it. An image of the night before flashed before his eyes… Reycha’s face, her eyes semi-closed, her long dark curly hair spread out all over her pillow, her lips forming for another kiss… . When he turned away his eye fell on Marim … well maybe she wasn’t everything in his life, but she and Marim together were… . “Marim, take good care of your mother while I am away ad be careful yourself. Have fun reining the cart and see you at lunch.”

The soldiers, seeing how tired he was, as if he hadn’t slept at all, all made jokes about Arkaniel. “My lord, have you been so busy this night?” or “You still have time to make an extra heir”… He let the jokes go over him, while he got some more flashes of last night, of him and Reycha together…
He had finally talked to all people in the group. His book was full with all the info. He would need to start a new one for the ones joining in Bree. Speaking of Bree, it would take just a bit more than two more weeks to get there from where they were now. The settlers were making good progress, all driven by the desire to reach Annuminas as soon as possible. The rest of the journey was quite relaxing, except for the attack of Dunlending rogues, two days north of the Gap of Rohan. About a hundred of them, probably all warriors they had left, attacked their right flank. They were spotted in time so Cirion’s unit was in place to buffer against the attack, covered by about fifty archers drafted out of the settlers. There were no losses on our side, just some injured knights and horses. None of the Dunlending however got away alive. It saddened Arkaniel that they had to be killed, but they went berserk and refused to surrender or to retreat. They reached Bree without further delay and set up camp about a mile of the nearest village. Arkaniel sent a some messengers, to spread the word they had arrived. Soon the last of the settlers would join the group. In the meanwhile, they could re-supply and gather the last of the resources they needed for Annuminas. In two days, they would depart and reach Annuminas about three days later.

That evening, a spontaneous feast started and all people partied as if they were already at their destination. Probably they feasted now, because once they were there, there would be too much work to think about feasting. Marim, Reycha and he mixed up with the other people. He hoped that PB and his friends would arrive soon. He hadn’t seen them in months and they had a lot to talk about. As last time, Arkaniel danced mainly with Reycha, but also with several other women, some more attractive than others. One of them demanded more of his time for dances, but he politely refused and joined Reycha. They sat down at the edge of the camp, each with a glass of Gondorian wine, watching the stars, while their arms were around each others shoulders…
Jadawen_Lady_Of_Rohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 09:39
Jadawen sat at one of the tables waiting for the rest of the group to decide when to leave.She couln't wait any longer she grabbed her stuff and made her way out to the stables and grabed her horse.
She didn't know what she would say to them but she figured that she'd find their leader and speak with him.
When she eantered their camp they were all feasting so she went up to one of the men and asked to tell her where their leader was and he directed her.

She went up to the man that was their leader.
"Are you Arkaniel?"She asked.
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2006 09:50
"I am sure we can make good use of your services, for we will need many horses, for miltary purposes, for messenger purposes etc. In fact, maybe i will buy a horse soon for myslef, or at least, for my son. I'll come back later for that.” Maenor smiled. “It would be an honour.” “I would also like to offer Maena a postion at the palace, once we're in Arnor. She will be the personal 'maid' of my wife, if she accepts the position. She will receive payment in gold and will get educated in reading, writing, history and will get some weapon training. This way, she can become one of the first new nobles in Annuminas." Sorne and Maenor’s glance immediately went to each other while Maena’s hands gripped Snowfall’s manes even harder. Like moving wasn’t enough of a change already! Unwillingly did she look at her parents, but both were carefully not to catch her eye, knowing what they would see. "Once you have considered the offer, one of you can come looking for me to tell me your answer", Arkaniel added, "I'll be easy to find." And with that the Gondorian rode away.

“Mother,” Maena started begging as soon as the man was out of sight, but the look in her eyes betrayed Sorne’s thoughts of the matter and hopefully did the girl turn to her father. The Rohirrim sighed unnoticely. Arkaniel’s offer would be the best she would ever get and they’d be a fool to reject it. But would it be worth her fear? Would he be able to let her go so soon already? “Father,” Maena whispered. Sorne looked at her husband, begging in silence he would not give in, but wisely keeping her mouth shut. She knew her husband, and he would not give a thoughtless answer. He’d ask her opinion when he was ready to discuss the matter. The man turned his head a little, adressing both this wife and his daughter. “We will see.” And with that he led it go, or at least so it seemed for outsiders.

That night when they sat up their camp and Maena had gone for a little walk with Snowfall Sorne looked up her husband and led her hand slip into his. In silence they looked at the stars, both knowing the right thing to do and both knowing exactly the others opinion.

The next morning Maena woke up early. She listened to the birds and shivered slightly when a soft breeze blew through the camp. The wind made the leafs rustle and produced an easing sound. All night she had been thinking of Arkaniel’s offer and her emotions had calmed down a bit. She knew she couldn’t stay with her parents forever, not only would she have to get married someday, she also wasn’t suitable for the job. And to learn how to read and to write was something she had always dreamed of. Maena rose and walked to her horse. The white mare was standing sleepy and the girl lay softly her her head on Snowfall’s neck. Standing like that her mother and father found her about half an hour later. Sorne went to get them something to eat while Maenor made the horses ready. About half an hour later whole the camp was ready to go and the many men, women, children and animals formed a long, long line again.

And as they continued their journey, the unspoken words hang among the three of them for many days. It had taken the place of the always present trust and had made them feel uncomfortable around each other. More than normally they were talking to their horses, were cuddling them and busy making everything in order until eventually one night Maena stood in front of her parents and with a resigned smile said: “I’ll go.” Sorne rose and a relieved smile appeared on her face. “He seems like a good man, and I’m sure his wife is as well.” Only Maenor stayed silent, both relieved and anxious.

The next day the group arrived at Bree and that night a huge feast had begun. Insecure Maena looked around for awhile, but then she noticed Arkaniel standing with a woman, kissing her gently on her mouth. She assumed she’d be his wife and the soon he had left she persuaded herself to go towards her. “Excuse me, my Lady.” She started shyly. “My name is Maena. Lord Arkaniel told me to come to you.”
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 08:49

(OOC: sorry guys for not typing in a long time i will make up for it though, Knights Honour! )

Cirion leaned against a tree, nursing his beverage whilst in a deep reverie.
two days from where they left the Gap of Rohan they were assailed by dunelanding warriors. Cirion was flanking the settlers to their right, keeping a wary eye to any possible threat that would present itself, when a shout issued the arrival of possibly hostile Dunelandings who were charging down the slopes of the mountain to the settlers right. On Arkeniel's aprrroval he assemmbled the Knights to defend the vulnerable settlers. When the Dunlandings would not head to the offers of truce, Cirion, bracing himself emotionally from the slaughter, charged with the knights in support of a few archers which Arkeniel had mustered among the settlers. The Dunlandings were crazed and possibly starved so they attacked in a frenzy, eager to get past these distractions and obtain their true prize supplies. Cirion's and the Knight's trained discipline and strategic ability shone through though and they utilised a tactical strike where the cetre retreat slightly while the flanks press froward, forming a crescent moon defense, so the Dunlandigs would not escape the knights on their flanks and come upon the travellers. The battle was complete carnage as the Dunlandings were killed to every last man, whilst Arkeniel's Knights escaped with only minor injuries. Cirion wiped his blade clean and then dismissed the knights to their previous defensive patrols. That night exhausted from all the viscitudes of that day he collapsed into bed trying sadly to hide form the beautiful Lady Alaroen.
The rest of the journey to Bree was to Cirion's opinion pall. He tryed with much difficulty to avoid and ignore Alaroen, since the night of their dispute. Something pulled him back into reality, they was blue and they were enchanting.
"Cirion!' Alraoen laughed. "Care to dance?" She waved her arm at all the men and women dancing in a fine and energetic manner. Cirion's eyes were distant and his tone had a hint of torture, regret and harshness.
"No."
A frown came to the face of Alaroen and with surprisingly great strength she pulled him into the darkness and solitude of the trees.
"You haven't said a word to me since that night when you threatened those three men." SHe said crossly looking straight into his dark brown eyes.
"There is nothing to be said between us." Cirion replied flatly.
"I spy you looking at me sometimes." Her voice waas hurt. "But when you see me looking back you frown and look away. I can see the hurting in your eyes, why do you do this to yourself Cirion? Why are you so proud and stubborn?" Her voice quested and their was a slight not of hope mingled with the longing. He now spoke with a strong and defiant voice as he raised his arm in the direction of the feast. "I have pledged an oath ot my Lord and these people to protect them with my life and nothing or noone will come between this. Noone!" This last word he spoke with a passion that shook Alaroen, a passion that came from a deep root embedded in Cirion. She watched with helplessness as Cirion strode off, not bothering to hide his dismay...
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 07:14
That morning Reycha woke in a lazy mood and a soft smile on her full lips. She loved beeing kissed awake. Although the remark her husband made about the last night embarrassed her, it couldn't chase away that happy smile off her face. Her hand ran over the pillow beside her. It was still warm. Arkaniel had left, but his scent was still in the sheets...
The young woman stretched and jawned, feeling the life running in her veins. Life was indeed good!
With a content sigh and with that smile still on her face, Reycha finally got up and made a quick breakfast before waking Marim. She kept the porridge on the fire until Arkaniel returned, and they had a laugh together about the story of soldiers teasing their Lord. Marim showed no interest in the story whatsoever, all his thoughts on the day riding a cart almost all by himself!

The day passed quickly. Reycha was sitting straight in her cart, returning the greetings of the people near her with a smile and a nod. She even started feeling a little... Kingly? Or rather - "queenly"? She laughed to herself. It looked like she could even manage it!

Every passing day brought them closer to Bree, and reycha got more and more thoughtful. Bree was the town where she was born, where she had lost her parents and married Pran... The place that had seen Marim's first steps and heard his first words. It had been the place of her misery and the one that had given her the craziest happiness she had ever dreamed about. What would be her feelings to walk the narrow, dirty streets again? Reycha had hoped to never return there. But now that was exactly what she was doing. Returning.

The caravan stopped for the night, the lights of Bree visible at a distance. Reycha stood watching them, a strange feeling inside. She felt unstable. Was it the long ride, the missed dinner or the rushing emotions awoken by that particular place? Arkaniel came to bring her inside the large tent, and she forgot her worries. She danced with her husband and with a couple of other men that asked her for a dance. And she felt... pleasantly beautiful. And happy. Soon her head was spinning, and she sat down on a bench.
She never noticed the blond girl approaching her until she spoke:
“Excuse me, my Lady.” She started shyly. “My name is Maena. Lord Arkaniel told me to come to you.”
Reycha looked up. Before her was a girl you could clearly tell she was from Rohan. She looked shy, but her clear blue eyes shone with sincerity and soft nature. And that very instant Reycha was sure they would do just perfectly together. She smiled broadly.
"Good evening, Maena! Arlkaniel mentioned to me you would come. It is a good thing you did so! I am Reycha, and somewhere around here is my son Marim. I believe you will meet him soon enough."
The blonde girl smiled shyly in return, and Reycha felt her motherly feelings arise towards the young thing. She indeed looked like one in a need of a permanent protection.
"As far as I understand, Arkaniel has spoken to you about the place of my maid. I must confess I have never had a maid... So... It will be something new to both of us, I believe." They exchanged confused smiles. Gradually, Maena started taking part in the conversation, and they had a little chat about the journey, about the people, about the night and the party... Both women agreed they would meet the next morning. Maena would come to where Reycha and Arkaniel were staying. With that, the girl returned to wherever she had come from.
Reycha stood for a moment thinking. Her life was just about to change forever... Was she ready for that change?
Arkaniel emerged from the crowd with two glasses of red wine and kisse her.
"Are you having a good evening, my love?" he asked, and Reycha happily nodded, accepting one of the glasses. The stars shone brightly over their heads, and at least for a while the distant lights of Bree were forgotten.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 16, 2006 03:38
On the way to Bree, Pb and Bel discussed with Alliss their plans for the future.
PB had learned a few tricks from the talented Elf and he wanted to use what he had learned to help with the new colony. He said to Nelenata; 'Thanks to Bel I can make tools that will never rust, ploughs that can cut through a rock in the field, chisels that can cleave a rock into a straight edged block with just afew taps of the hammer and many other wonderful things. I hope to use these newly taught techniques to help make our new city the greatsest city on Middle-earth .'
'Bel laughed at his friends descriptions of his talent."Remember, my young friend, that I was apprenticed to the greatest smiths in Eregion. I will always remember that they are all gone and I am all that is left. The time of the Elves is past now, and I now aim to share whay I have learned."

Upon arriving in Bree they headed straight to the Prancing Pony and were given excellent rooms to stay in. Mr. Butterbur was glad to have them stay and insisted that the rooms were not to be paid for. ' Once you get your this city up and runnung, traffic between North and South should be greater than ever before, and we in Bree will be busier than ever. Although you aren't paying me now, what your are doing will see to it that I am never short of paying customers and I will be repaid tenfold."
The three of them didn't want to take advantage of Butterbur's generosity, so they spent much of their time there doing small jobs and repairs around the inn.

They were sitting down to a meal one day, when a messenger entered the Inn and announced that Arkaniel's camp had been established and he was looking for those wishing to join his venture.

[Edited on 23/6/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Echileru_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2006 06:55
OOC: sorry I've been done so long. The internet on my computer died, and then I went on vacation.

Rose laughed as she whirled around, dancing with a young man. He was an excellent dancer, and she loved to dance. As she danced, her sister Aubrey sat and watched, hoping against hope that someone would ask her to dance. As they traveled, Rose had made several friends, mostly young men, leaving Aubrey alone many times. A tear found its way down her cheek, and she hastily brushed it away.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2006 01:10
Cirion rushed passed, bewildered onlookers as tears somehow managed to escape his hardened eyes. His head hurt, his brain raced, Cirion had never felt anything like this before. He wished, wished that he could change it all wished that he could have changed all those choices that lead him down this path. But there was no going back now, he was to proud. It was difficult to navigate the chaotic feasting grounds, it was difficult to erase her face from his mind. Why did he do this why? No his father told him to never question his motives, he must be always confident in himself and his decisions, even if it meant to be overconfident. 'To doubt yourself' his father told him long ago 'is to doubt life itself. Only when doubt has perished can the strong survive.' Cirion sat down and concentrated on the image of his father, his strong but strict father. It soothed him and gradually his heart slowed, his temper diminished and his focus reigned supreme. Cirion promised himself that he would never lose control like that again, he remembered that people depended on him for their safety. But what can one man do? He asked that question frequently recently to himself, and alwasy he remembered his father's reply: He does what he must.
Cirion spied a lonely, weeping young girl. "Atleast i'm not the only one distressed this night" he muttered to himself rolling his eyes slowly. Grabbing a tray of food from a nearby table Cirion strode over and sat by the distressed girl. Looking deep into her eyes he inquired encouragingly. "Food?"

(( Take it away Echileru ))
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2006 10:21

Alliss smiled and laughed inwardly as she remembered a joke PB had made earlier, as she scrubbed at the surfaces in the kitchen of the Prancing Pony. The inn was well-kept, but she suspected that it was a while since the place had been properly cleaned. Belrustan and PB had generously refused to let her work while she'd stayed with them at the Forsaken, and in a way it was a relief to be able to do something useful -- Alliss was most comfortable when she could be of use.

She was, she realised as she wiped the spare water from the sideboard, the happiest she had been in a long time. PB was always so friendly and approachable -- he had a knack of making people feel at home immediately. And Alliss, though still privately rather shy around the Elven-smith, was no longer completely overawed by him. She remembered how she had laughed with him that night when she had asked him why he was going.

Even now, she grinned as she wrung her cloth out. In her opinion, he couldn't be as vain as he claimed if he was willing to admit it, but she hadn't said so, suspecting that he would only deny it. Very quietly, Alliss began to sing an old song that her mother had taught her when she was little, confident that nobody could hear her. She had a high voice, sweet and true, but singing wasn't something she had ever had the confidence to do around others. She had lost her habit of ducking her head and sweeping her hair over her face around them, but she still did it around others. A couple of weeks weren't long enough to cure the habits of a lifetime.

When the message came, Alliss almost dropped her glass. She set it down on the table very carefully. Finally! She felt as though she'd been waiting for years... All of a sudden, all the old fear and uncertainty rushed back. She stared at the table. She wasn't fool enough to believe that everyone would be as welcoming as PB and Belrustan -- not many, even.

'Stupid girl,' her mother's voice rang in her mind, chiding her. 'Two who welcome you already, or are kind enough to be friendly even if you're not the most decorative object to grace Arda, and you complain? Alliss smiled involuntarily at the mental image of her mother, hands on hips and a grin on her face. 'Scrub the sink til you're grateful, my girl!' And her mother would be right. She looked up. "Er... how do we join up?" she asked of anyone who would answer, once more surprising herself with her own daring.

[Edited on 23/6/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Echileru_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2006 09:36
"Food?"

Aubrey, startled, looked up to see the face of a soldier. "Yes, thank you," she replied, wiping away her tears before taking an apple. She bit deeply into it, savoring the taste. "I am Aubrey of Rohan. My I inquire as to your name?" She forced a smile. This was her chance to make a friend, and she wasn't about to let it pass by.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 12:49
"Food?"

Aubrey, startled, looked up to see the face of a soldier. "Yes, thank you," she replied, wiping away her tears before taking an apple. She bit deeply into it, savoring the taste. "I am Aubrey of Rohan. My I inquire as to your name?" She forced a smile. This was her chance to make a friend, and she wasn't about to let it pass by.

Cirion gave way to an unexpected urge to grin widely, this was his chance to lighten his mood and he wasn't about to let it pass by. Sitting closer he looked down to his hands. "I am a soldier under Lord Arkaniel's command, I come from Minas Tirith and i am known as Cirion." looking over into her eyes again he suddenly felt a surge of doubt and foolishness. "I apoligize i really don't know what came over me spontaniously coming over." He grinned again this time a little embarressed." You just appeared to be a little sasd and i gues i know this feeling so... um so.. care to dance?" he stretched his arm wide in an arcing gesture toward the dance floor where many couples were dancing happily.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 11:58
((This is the first part of a joint post by Mirilien and I. Second part should come on Wednesday, hopefully. ))

"Good evening, Maena! Arkaniel mentioned to me you would come. It is a good thing you did so! I am Reycha, and somewhere around here is my son Marim. I believe you will meet him soon enough." The woman greeted her friendly and she smiled shyly, both happy by the thought of taking care of a young boy as scared of whether he’d listen to her. Reycha started explaining a bit more and something like a conversation followed, mainly dominated by the woman. After just a few more minutes of chattering they agreed to meet again the following morning and with a last greeting the two of them parted. Once a few yards away, the girl let out a relieved sigh, glad Reycha had seemed to be a caring and kind woman.

Halhigil looked up apprehensively at Talkan and Eranric from where they had forcibly pushed him down to sit on the floor just inside the big tent. He had been about to slip off when they had frog-marched him back inside, insisting that he needed a drink. "I am not going to get out of this, am I?"

Talkan grinned and shook his head. “Absolutely not.” The tent was noisy and crowded with people milling around. The serious drinking and dancing hadn’t begun yet, but there were a fair number of people clustered in merry groups.

Eranric gave an eerily similar smile. “It’s about time we learnt about drunken Elves.”

“That’ll cost you a fortune in beer,” Talkan laughed. He sat down next to Halhigil. “Oh, you’ll like it when you’ve had a few. Or a few dozen. How does it work for you?”

Halhigil shrugged one shoulder, looking intensely uncomfortable. He longed to run off on his own, away from the crowds and the people looking. “That depends upon what I am drinking, does it not?”

Eranric glanced over at the smaller tent where the drinks were. he looked at Halhigil curiously. “Elves drink wine, do you not? Have you ever actually had beer?”

“No.”

“You haven’t lived,” Talkan informed him. An amusing, mischievous idea was slowly forming in his mind, and he grinned. “I think it’s high time we educated you.”

The young mason looked around the room absent-mindedly, and raised a hand to a friend in brief acknowledgement. "Come on, Eranric. He'll have a miserable time until he has something to drink."

For a while she wandered through the tent, looking for her parents. She did not feel like standing by herself at all, but when she had finally noticed her parents, she decided to give up the idea of joining them. Slowly her parents were dancing and as they moved through the space, they seemed to be living in their own little world no one besides the two of them could enter.

Her father was lovingly holding her mothers hand while Sorne had laid her head on Maenor’s shoulders, mascular of the work on the farm. They had both closed their eyes. Maena smiled warmly and found her way to the other side where drunks were available.

She looked around a bit uncomfortable, for on first sight all there seemed to be was beer. There must be something more, there are hundreds of children in here! She stepped a bit closer to the tables, trying to find something suitable.

Eranric followed Talkan over to get something to drink. "Are you going to give him some beer?" he asked.

Talkan grinned. “I’ll give him some more than that.” Having drawn a mug of beer about seven-eighths full, he proceeded to top it off with a generous slosh of spirits from a bottle standing around.

“Oh, that’s hardly fair!” Eranric protested, but he couldn’t quite hide his smile.

“’Tis,” Talkan retorted with a grin, drawing his own beer. “They’ve got higher tolerances, haven’t they? Don’t see why he should be the only sober one.”

“You’re a menace,” said Ernaric absent-mindedly. His eye had been caught by the rather pretty blonde girl who was standing around looking a little lost. She looked Rohirric to him – certainly she had the hair.

Talkan looked around and saw her too. “Oh, I’m sorry! Am I in the way?” He stepped back, a pint of beer in each hand. “They’re not both for me,” he added, with a grin and a nod towards the mugs in his hands.

She heard a male voice beside her. Maena looked aside and saw a tanned boy, with behind him yet another guy ‘round her age Rohirrim perhaps? and on a chair in between there was an Elf. She was a bit overwhelmed, for she had never seen one before. She smiled shyly at the boy’s joke and looked away, not knowing what to do.

Eranric chuckled. “Ah, but do you know which is which?”

“Er,” said Talkan, looking at the two identical mugs.

The young smith snorted with laughter. “Oh, stars above, you really are an idiot, Talkan. Serves you right!”

Talkan made a face at Eranric, and turned to the girl, who had looked away. “Looking for anything in particular?” He made an extravagant gesture towards the table, the beer coming dangerously close to slopping out of the mug. “There’s beer, wine, something in that bottle there that smells deadly, water – but that’s no fun – ”

“Talkan, behave,” came Halhigil’s quiet but amused voice as he approached them. “You’ll scare her into thinking you’re an utter lunatic if you rave at people like that.”

“I am not raving,” Talkan retorted, but he gave a far-too-innocent-smile as he handed Halhigil one of the two mugs. “Enjoy.”

Halhigil noted Eranric’s effort to choke back a laugh, but did not comment as he accepted the mug. He suspected he’s find out soon enough. His eyes rested on the girl Talkan had been addressing so effusively, and he gave a gentle smile as he recognised someone like himself – someone clearly ill at ease in company. “Good evening,” he said with a smile.

“If you were wanting something harmless to drink, then I believe there’s some cordial under the table, for civilised people. Oh, and please do not mind Talkan. He is like this sober too.”

Talkan almost choked on his beer in indignation. “I *am * sober!”

“Not for long you won’t be,” Eranric observed. He turned back to the girl. “But where are my manners? Do come with us -- that is, if you wish,” he added hastily. he glanced at the elf, who still looked rather wary of the whole situation. “I think Halhigil could do with some moral support.”

“By all means,” said Halhigil, with a wry smile. “The Valar know those two should not be left alone in each other’s company.”

“Well actually, I’m looking for...” But the boy didn’t seem to hear her and just continued summoning the different kinds of drinks he had seen on the table. She noticed the old jug and was just about to pour herself some water, when the Elf came closer and started to speak, while the boy handed him one of the mugs. She listened to the boys’ hints and wondered what on earth they had given him.

But at least the first nip didn’t seem to effect the Elf in any way and so she bended forward to get the drink he had been referring to, turning a little bit red. But how could they have expected her to find it under the table? She hadn’t exactly planned on falling on her knees to search for it there. Maena grabbed a glass and poured the liquid, careful not to spill.

The Elf seemed to understand her shyness and so she answered his smile and in contrary to her own expectations, she quietly said ‘yes’ when one of them asked her to come along with them.

Eranric smiled. "Come," he said, and beckoned as Talkan led the way back to their spot. "Are you from Rohan too?"

"Indeed," she started, not really feeling at ease. "I'm Maena."

Eranric noted her unease, and made a mental note to get Halhigil to talk to her. Shy people generally seemed to be able to talk to each other, in his experience. "You're a welcome sight, I can assure you," he told her with a smile as they walked across the tent.

"I was starting to feel a terrible country boy all alone with those two," he said, gesturing towards Halhigil and Talkan. "Don't mind Talkan," he added with a friendly grin. "He's just a little... overly enthusiastic about life in general, I think. I don't believe he means to be overwhelming."

She grinned and brought her hand through her hair, causing the long, blond locks to fall over her shoulder again, instead of in front of her eyes. But besides the grin she ignored his part about Talkan - not really sure how to react- and continued on the subject of their homeland. "What part of Rohan are your from?"

"The West Emnet," he replied. "But I've moved around for a few years now... it's not as though there's a shortage of smiths in the old place, is it?" He shrugged. "That's partly what I'm doing here. And yourself?" Eranric sat down, and motioned for Maena to take a seat. "Oh, forgive me! My name is Eranric."

She smiled. "No, not really. I'm from Edoras, my parents own a small farm where they train horses. But there isn't really a shortage of well-trained horses either." She laughed.

CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2006 07:53
[joint post by nifredil and me]

Reycha stood by her husband's side, slowly sipping wine. The music was playing behind them, the people were dancing, laughing, having fun and enjoying themselves in general. But the thought to join them never even crossed her mind. It felt too good where she was right now, to change it for anything else.

Arkaniel enjoyed the presence of his wife at his side. He put his arm around her and pulled her a bit closer against him.
Standing here, together with her, some music in the background, the sky full of stars above them, was there a finer place in middle-earth at this moment, he wondered.

She sighed, laying her head against his shoulder. Would she back then, in Bree, just five years ago, have ever imagined this kind of relationship would be even possible? For Reycha, life had been a struggle against everything and everybody, merely to put something on the table, to have her boy fed and dressed, and to survive the brutality of her husband Pran... But now... Reycha smiled happily and leaned closer to Arkaniel. Now she felt safe and protected, and, above all - loved.

Arkaniel felt Reycha leaning on him, and saw her staring in the distance. Was it coincidence she was staring directly at the town of Bree? He didn't know, but he hoped she wasn't, since the life she had had there was best to be forgotten, what she had told him about her life there. He liked to focus more on the happier memories of that place, like how he fell in love with her around here, how happy she was when she got back her son, the boy he now saw as his own son, Marim.

"I love you," Reycha whispered, looking up at Arkaniel, and the dim fires were reflecting mysteriously in her deep dark eyes.

"I love you, too, you are the most precious to me in this world" Arkaniel whispered, while drowning in her eyes... By the Valar, how much he loved her... he bent closer to her, ready to kiss her full lips...

Reycha smiled teasingly and put her finger to his lips, stopping his kiss. "Later, my love..." her voice was barely audible, while her eyes shone with a promise.

He grinned when he saw the promise in her eyes, but at the same time, felt something roaring inside of him, reluctant to wait... She had changed slightly since the first time he met her. First being shy, sad and hurt, now having blossomed into a more open woman, even teasingly open, but still with the traits that made him fall in love... He dreamed a bit away, now seeing her in the Forsaken inn, at the moment he saw her for the first time...

"I talked to the girl you had told me about, Maena," Reycha changed the subject abruptly. "She seemed to me a nice young thing. A very shy and unsure about herself, but very nice. I liked her," the young woman caressed Arkaniel's hand with her very fingertips while speaking. "I believe we will get along very well. And, it was a really good idea of yours, to give me a maid."

"I am glad you like her. I don't know why I chose her, maybe because she resembles you a bit... Anyways, you are a Lady and therefor you need a maid, to help you governing the palace and maybe even help you when we would get another child...," he told her, while he gently caressed her cheek.

Her eyes widened a bit. "Another child? I never knew you were thinking about one...." She had been wondering about the change of the situation when and if another baby arrived, but as the years of their marriage passed by, she decided that maybe she could not have children anymore. And with that the subject was closed, for her. Reycha decided not to think too much about the fact, or she would get too nervous and worried. But now, she had to think about it again...
That made her remember Marim. Reycha looked around, stared in the crowd, but Marim was nowhere to be seen.
"What?" she asked Arkaniel, realizing he had been telling her something.

Arkaniel sighed, not knowing how to talk about it. He stuttered a bit saying: " Well I have thought often about it... It is great to be a father, but I feel I missed something with Marim... not that we aren't compensating that now," he grinned, "But at first, I was too much in doubt about it and since the last year, I am feeling a bit restraint about it... Before, me being a noble born wasn't a problem since my father disinherited me, but now, I sometimes wonder if it might not cause problems, with Marim as my heir and maybe a child of my own blood might... well not be too satisfied with the situation..."

Reycha was listening with half of attention, missing the greatest part of Arkaniel's words. "Do you see Marim? I can't see him anywhere," she said, not even trying to hide her worries.

Arkaniel recognised her fear and turned around to search for Marim. His length gave him an advantage over Reycha, but then again, Marim was shorter than most in the crowd... "Don't worry, he will be all right...," he comforted her

"I have to find him," Reycha said, her voice trembling, and slid out of Arkaniel's embrace, heading towards the crowd.

Arkaniel followed her quickly, but instead of tumbling into the crowd, he addressed one of the guards and asked if he had seen Marim...

Reycha searched through the crowd, asking people if they had seen a small boy.... Some of them had, most of them hadn't. The young woman's fear and nervousness increased with every second. Finally she ran out of the party place right into Arkaniel's arms. "He's not here!" she said weeping.

"I know, the guard saw him going that way," Arkaniel said, while pointing into a direction, "I believe some of the rohirrim horse farmers have their tents and horses there. Maybe he wanted to see them a bit better before choosing one or he just couldn't wait..."

Reycha dashed the indicated way before even Arkaniel had finished speaking, making him to run after her. In her mind, pictures of Marim getting under some horse's hooves became more and more horrid. Soon she was among the tents. Everything was quiet and dark, the people clearly still at the party.

Marim watched a large black horse towering above him with awe. The animal could be of a different colour, but in the dark he looked pure black. "Hey, what's your name?" the boy asked the big horse. That looked down at him and snorted quietly. The rohirrim horses were taught to be gentle with children, so the horse slowly lowered his head to sniff the boy, careful not to step on him. "Want this?" Marim offered the horse a bunch of grass, that was reluctantly accepted.
Suddenly a sound attracted his attention. There was a confusion and a movement among the horses in the furthest corner of the settlement. The boy thought he had heard men's voices. He quietly sneaked closer. Suddenly he saw a couple of men throwing something like dark blankets on the heads of horses and leading them away to tie them to a vagon further away. Some of the animals neighed and reared, but a couple of lassos on both sides of their necks strangled them quiet. Then the blanket did the rest. Marim fumed with anger. How could they do this to the beautiful horses!!!
"What are you doing?! Stop it!" the boy stepped out and screamed at the men. They froze, then started yelling: "Get the kid! Don't let it escape!" With a scream, Marim turned and ran. One of the men rushed after the boy on feet, the other on horseback.

Arkaniel, grabbed Reycha's shoulder, whispering: "listen..." they heard Marim and the men shouting and then the screaming. Arkaniel ran towards where the sound came from, in the meanwhile pulling his sword. When he saw Marim running his way, he shouted: "come here Marim..."

Before Marim could do as he was told, the man chasing him grabbed the boy's shirt. "Da-ad!" Marim screamed, fighting the man away furiously. Reycha came running after her husband. Her eyes were only on her son.

Arkaniel hurried even more and before the man could do anything, he knocked him in the face with the hilt of his sword, not wanting to spill blood unnecesarily. The man dropped like a rock, unconscious. Marim clamped himself to Arkaniel, trembling, but the other man had turned around and mounted one of the horses quickly to flee...

To be continued...
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2006 09:11
((Again, co-written by Mirilien and me. ))

Eranric laughed. "Oh, well-trained horses are welcome anywhere, I should think. They'd likely fetch a better price outside Rohan in any case... Is that the line you're in?"

More uncomfortable again she turned her head away. For a moment the easy-going mood of the guys had taken hold of her as well and had allowed her to try to make a joke, but clearly she had failed. She felt a bit ashamed and answered quietly: "In Rohan there are too many good trainers to get the honour they deserve. My family only owns a small horsefarm, nothing big enough to actually mean anything."

"Oh, come," he said good-naturedly. "It'll mean something and more to anyone who buys your horses. And what's fame worth?" He caught himself, shook his head and grinned. "Stars above, I sound like Talkan!"

Talkan grinned too, and reclined with his hands behind his head. "A good thing, surely," he replied, but his expression made it clear that he meant it in play, not in arrogance. He turned to Maena with a mock-heroic gesture. "He venerates me, you know."

Eranric snorted. "Hardly. Dream on, laddie, dream on." He shook his head and chuckled. "Run along like a good boy and chase your rainbows."

"Laddie yourself! You're only two years my senior," Talkan retorted and took a sip of beer. He noted that Halhigil was watching him, deeply suspicious, but saying nothing. He suppressed a laugh.

"You're both lads as far as I am concerned," Halhigil said. He sniffed the beer dubiously and took a sip. He swallowed and blinked as tears rushed to his eyes. "Good grief, that has a kick to it!" He eyed Talkan mistrustfully. "I refuse to believe that you can drink at least two pints of this without falling over."

She listened silently to the chattering while sipping from her drink. Her thoughts flew from one subject to another, without actually paying attention to them. The only thought that did keep coming back was how much she wanted to get away. Go riding on Snowfall or talking to her parents or even just sitting by herself, but not here among them.

She took another sip and wanted to place the mug on a wooden table next to her, but instead of putting it on it it fell with a loud bang on the ground; the mug had been broken into a thousand pieces and the liquid was flooding in every possible direction, including on the bottom of her dark brown dress. "Oh no." She whispered almost inaudible, while trying to force back her tears.

“Watch –” Halhigil began, but too late as the glass fell and smashed.

Eranric jumped up to help her move. “Oh, that’s not too bad,” he said cheerfully. “Might want to move, though – it was going to happen at some point.” He glanced at her. “Don’t worry! It’s traditional at celebrations. You could always have knocked the whole thing into your lap like Talkan did the other day. He still smells like a brewery.”

Talkan grinned, unconcerned, and ducked under the table to inspect the damage. There was certainly a lot of broken glass. "Yes, I thought I'd be the first one to do that -- ow!" He whacked his head on the table as he resurfaced, and he rubbed it ruefully. "Blast. Told you. I'm usually the one as does things like that."

“Maena, it does not matter in the least,” said Halhigil quietly, noting how upset she looked. He gave a gentle smile. “There’ll be many more glasses broken tonight. It happens. We’ve all done it - and much worse in some cases,” he added with a half-amused, half-exasperated glance at Talkan.

The girl smiled slightly as she rose, her long eyelashes lowered. "I'd better go." She said quietly, and it was almost like she was talking to the ground. With her hands she held the long skirt of the dress a bit above the ground and without looking backwards she strode away, not knowing what else to do.

Talkan rose to follow her, but Halhigil shook his head firmly and pulled him back down. "Talkan, let her be. You'll only embarrass the poor girl. You are a little overwhelming for someone unsure of herself."

Halhigil could well understand Maena's reaction -- better, he suspected, than either young man -- though he wouldn't have walked away. He would have stayed and felt awkward and tongue-tied. The trouble was that if you weren’t talked to, you felt an intruder – if they did, you hated the attention and wanted to become invisible. He could understand that. “If either of you should go, Eranric should.”

Eranric looked uneasy, wary of upsetting her further. “Why me? You –”

“Because she can talk to you,” said Halhigil. “She is half-afraid of me and Talkan is just too much – no offence meant,” he added to Talkan, who smiled and shook his head. “If you are going to go, then go now.”

Eranric got quickly to his feet without a word, and slipped through the crowds towards Maena, her long golden hair gleaming in the lanternlight. He turned to face her. “I’m sorry if we upset you,” he said gently. “I…” He looked around at the crowd of laughing, dancing people, then back at Maena. “Look, this really isn’t your sort of thing at all, is it? You’re like Halhigil. Would you like to go outside? It’s stuffy in here.”

Something close to a smile appeared on her face and her blue eyes lightened up a little bit. "I've been called a lot of things," she said. "but never an Elf." She looked around, trying to see her parents somewhere, but when she didn't spot them she turned to Eranric and gratefully replied: "Not really, it's a bit too crowded for me so I would love to go outside." Maena hesitated, and then quickly added: "But please don't feel obligated to go just for me!"

Eranric smiled. "Oh no, I could do with a bit of fresh air. And I ought to get out of here before they start singing, or I might join in and make people's ears bleed." It wasn't true - he was actually a pretty fair singer - but it was something to say. "Let's go out, then, shall we?" So saying, he led the way out of the tent and into the cool evening air.
Echileru_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2006 09:31
Aubrey was surprised by the offer, but gladly accepted it and Cirion's arm. As they began to dance, she caught a glance of Rose dancing with a handsome young man. A tear sprang to her eye, but she quickly blinked it away, hoping Cirion didn't notice. "You know, you're the first person I've danced with since we embarked on this journey. I usually just sit and watch my sister dance..." She laughed uncomfortably, and looked into his eyes and saw compassion there. "Thank you," she said quietly, blushing slightly with her head lowered. "You are too kind."
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2006 08:50
(( I'm sorry it's so short, but I'm really busy packing up at the moment ))

Together they went outside. The fresh air felt chilly on her skin and so she couldn't prevent shivering. Maena brought her hand to her forehead, enjoying the coldness of her hand on her warm skin. Her head felt like it was going to explode; inside the tent she had thought it was because of all the people around, the lack of enough liquid during the day and heat, but once outside she didn't start to feel even the slightiest better and on top of her headache she started to feel sick.

"I've got to go," she said, starting to turn green. "I'm.." she retched and replaced her hand from her forehead to her mouth, then she ran away.

Below some trees nearby she had to vomit and then found her way back to their sleepingplace. She lay down on the pillow, not feeling like moving for another decade.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2006 03:02
((this is a joint post by Nelenata and me ))

Alaroen watched intently as Cirion danced merrily with a stranger. Her face, a blank mask, betrayed no hint of the confusing sorrow that welled within. Envy and also unexpectedly, anger started to tear at her mental barriers all that maintained her composure. She didn't understand, before he had rejected her for his duty to these people, as if her mere presense doomed them all. Now he was... fraterinzing with this unfamiliar woman! Unexpected rage influenced her chaotic mind as she fought mentally to find an answer to an aching question: Why didn't he want her? Alaroen was crushed, this revelation had hurt her in a way she never before felt, she couldn't comprehend that a man she longed for so much did not love her back and worse had lied to her.
If his father told him to not let anything distract him, to not let anything compromise the safety of innocent people then what was he doing? and what could one man do in the end? Unable to witness this betrayal any longer she frantically ran, ran in a direction her she did not know. Her head was spinning and her emotions were running rampant. As tears sprang from her eyes down her face in torrents, she collided into a vaguely familiar man.

“Oh, sorry!” Talkan grinned, his hair flopping into his left eye. “I seem to keep bumping into you!” He made a careless gesture with his mug towards the table. "I was just -"

A hand grabbed his arm before he did anything unfortunate with the beer in the mug. "Talkan, you have had *quite* enough to drink," said Halhigil firmly. He looked at Alaroen apologetically as she quickly removed the tears. "If he is annoying you, I do apologise."

"I've only just opened my mouth," Talkan protested. "Even I can't annoy people that quickly, so you needn't ap - apo -"

"Apologise?" prompted Alaroen with a hint of amusement playing around her mouth. This unusual encounter was starting to erase the torment that had swamped her a few moments before. These men had an air about them that calmed her.

"That's the one." Unsteadily, Talkan found his way back to the table, where a small crowd had gathered in varying states of inebriation.

Halhigil shook his head, entertained despite himself. "Someone really cannot hold his ale. Would you care to laugh at him while he makes himself look a fool?" He smiled. "Talkan delights in looking foolish, you know. I am never quite certain how much is put on and how much is real."

Looking slightly wary but amused, Alaroen followed him back to the table and took an empty seat beside Halhigil. "How many has he had?" she enquired.

"I do not know exactly, but less than I. And they were not laced with spirits, either." He directed a look of mingled exasperation and wry tolerance at Talkan.

Talkan gestured towards the elf. "Look at this - this damnable person. He can still walk in a straight line."

A man on his left snorted with laughter. "You really are a lightweight."

"Absolutely!" he declared, lifting his mug and grinning without a trace of shame. "Now, you see - " - he surveyed them hazily - "I can have a good time in a tavern for much less than you lot can." He thumped the mug on the table and grinned again. "Which if you're short of money like myshelf is a con - conshid -"

"Considerable advantage?" suggested Halhigil. There was a twinkle in his grey eyes; he had a feeling Talkan would regret this evening by dawn.

"That's the one!"

[Edited on 28/7/2006 by Cirion2]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2006 12:30
((Here I be... )

Eranric saw Maena go slightly green and clap a hand to her mouth before she dashed off and vanished into the darkness. He reached out to stop her, but thought better of it, following her footsteps at a more leisurely pace. There was no sense embarrassing her by hanging over her while she threw up; he had a feeling she'd prefer privacy. He knew he would. But instinctively, he wanted to see if she was alright in any case. He hadn't thought she'd looked well when they'd got outside.

In the faint, silvery moonlight, he saw some way ahead a dim figure break away from a group of trees and unsteadily pick her way through all the tents and sleeping places. Eventually, he found her lying down in what was clearly their family's sleeping patch, curled up and shivering slightly. Eranric knelt down next to her. "Are you alright?" he asked gently. He touched her shoulder lightly. "Do you want me to find your parents?"

------------

Alliss ducked her head and desperately tried to quell the rising terror. She had lost PB and Belrustan in the thronging crowds, and this situation was the one she tried to avoid at all costs. A tentful of noisy, laughing people, many of them tipsy - it was the very last place she wanted to be. She swept her lank hair over her face and tried to slip into some unobtrusive corner where nobody could see her, all the time afraid of someone seeing her face. She had hoped she wouldn't have to be introduced to anyone unless they were in a condition to at least be polite to her, i.e. sober.

She caught a glance of the many couples dancing in the middle of the tent, and unbidden, tears rushed to her eyes and her throat ached. From behind her hair, she watched a tall, handsome Gondorian dancing gracefully with a slender, pretty young woman. Alliss knew she had to stop thinking this way and be thankful for what she had. But as she watched, she couldn't suppress the knowledge that this was something she would never know. No handsome young man would ever put his arms around her, and look at her as though she was the most beautiful thing in Arda...

'Stop that!' she interrupted her own thoughts sharply, and swallowed, blinking away the tears. 'Now you really are just wallowing in your own self-pity.' Without further ado, Alliss turned away to find somewhere she wouldn't be looked at. 'You are not beautiful. Far from it indeed. But you have your health, and your family - and you're clever enough to have completed your basic training at seventeen,' she thought, adding the last thought that she so rarely considered or pointed out to herself. Alliss didn't generally think about the idea that she was clever; she was just... herself. But it was a nice way to stop herself feeling envious, she reflected with a hint of dry humour as she dodged through the crowd.

------------

((As I said before, feel free to be horrible to her. ))
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2006 01:34
((This was co-written by Cirion2 and I, and is a continuation of our earlier joint post. Apologies for my double post... oh, give me a break; they're about different characters! Sue me. ))

Alaroen giggled, this man Talkan put her at ease. The torment that she had just been through felt like a distant ache when she was with this obviously bizarre man.

One of the men across the table made an indistinct comment to Talkan, who regarded him hazily before collapsing into what could only be described as helpless giggles. He slumped across the table, crying with laughter and attempting to answer, but giving up.

Halhigil shook his head, but he couldn’t help but laugh. It would have been unseemly in anyone else, after seven or eight pints. In Talkan, after only about three or four, it was just funny. “Tragic. It really is sad in one so young.” He shook his head again, grinning.

“’M not that young,” Talkan insisted, hauling himself upright with an effort, and swaying gently. He looked at Alaroen hazily, grinning inanely, with his head tilted to one side. “I bet I’m – I bet I’m not younger than you, milady.” He gave a gentle giggle into his mug before attempting to put it down. Halhigil grabbed it before he spilt the contents everywhere, and set it on the table carefully.

Alaroen put her hand to her mouthed as she giggled once more. "I can't really tell how old you are, in your drunken state but I could gather that we are about the same age. Why do you ask? Or are you in a delirious fog, Talkan?"

She looked into the calm grey eyes of the elf, she was slightly in awe but at the same time attracted to him. Not in the way that lovers are attracted to each other but a mysterious, alarming way that she didn't understand. Instead Alaroen decided to ignore and dissmiss it as just simple nerves.

"I'm twenty and 'm not del -delirioush," he replied indignantly, but he was still grinning.

"Nobody could tell," murmured Halhigil with his characteristic, lopsided smile.

"You," declared Talkan as he pointed a swaying finger at him, "haven't drunk enough. Shtop -- Stop looking at me like that. You look -- you look like you're watching a fish, you do." He nodded emphatically. "So you do. Fish. Fishy fishy." He started to giggle again.

Halhigil shook his head in wonder. "I think you, on the other hand, have had quite enough to drink." He took Talkan's mug and placed it on an empty table behind them, out of reach. He smiled, one eyebrow raised, teasing. "You will thank me for it in the morning."

"That I won't!" he exclaimed, deeply indignant. Eyes wide in apparent shock, he pouted exaggeratedly. "Give it here! I'll cry!"

"Talkan, you are not wringing anyone's heart. You just look like a half-wit." Halhigil knew that he wouldn't care. Talkan was much too far gone to do much except laugh at the moment.

Alaroen looked at Talkan with a surprised expression -- he was obviously passionate about his grog. "I think it also good, if you get some rest Talkan, it will be interesting to see if you act any different when you a not under the influence." A sly smile spread across her lips.

"Believe me," Halhigil assured her with a wry smile, "There is little difference. He merely slurs his words less and has some faint notion of what is going on."

On the other side of the table, someone started singing, and it wasn't long before most of the table joined in. "Hey, Talkan!" yelled one of them. "Why aren't you joining us?"

Talkan grinned and swayed. "I'm an awful shinger."

They were all awful singers, thought Halhigil with a repressed shudder, but he didn't say so. It was more about the spirit than the tune, in any case.

"I'll get you your mug back if you sing!"

Talkan laughed. "You'll regret it, you know, sho -- so it probably serves you right," he said, and promptly joined in. Halhigil winced and put his hands over his ears. He really WAS terrible - to the Elf it was like fingernails down slate. "Oh, Eru!" yelled someone else! "For pity's sake, quell him!"

The group rose en masse. Halhigil was never quite certain afterwards as to exactly what happened, but the result was Talkan under a pile of men, yelling hoarsely for help and laughing too hard to get the words out properly.

The ellon just shook his head and watched. He turned to Alaroen. "You know, you need not stay with this rabble if you would rather find someone more civilised." He looked back at Talkan, who was trying to explain in slurred tones to a passer-by how he came to be in the position. Halhigil had to laugh. "It's as bad as that winter solstice," he said, more to himself than anything, and rested his chin on his hand as he watched the men try to disentangle themselves.

Alaroen looked from the pile of loud men and then back to the elf. With a grin she decided to depart for the night. Walking away from the commotion, Alaroen gazed up at the black sky. She felt unusually happy and this shouldn't be.

The combination of the calm and mysterious Halhigil and the eccentric Talkan had been like a shield where she could hide from her rage. She found herself skipping then jumping and replied to herself with scorn. Before she was an emotional wreck and now she was indescribably happy! Genuinely happy for the first time in years, She didn't know how or why but she certainly wanted it to continue.

-------
ellon - male Elf
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 02:40
(OOC - sorry for such a long silence from my part - just got married! :love: )

Arkaniel hurried even more and before the man could do anything, he knocked him in the face with the hilt of his sword, not wanting to spill blood unnecesarily. The man dropped like a rock, unconscious. Marim clamped himself to Arkaniel, trembling, but the other man had turned around and mounted one of the horses quickly to flee...

Reycha lifted her skirt and went running, almost flying. Those ransackers were not going to escape! The horse reared, pulled hard by the reins, what gave her extra time to get in the man's way. Reycha stopped and took off her shawl. The man got his horse under control. With a yell, he sent the animal running at the small form of woman in front of him. The moment he was just in font of her, Reycha expanded her shawl and sent it fluttering at the horse's head. The fabric, black and enlarged in the shadows of the night, swung over the animal's ears, and the horse reared, frightened. The man, caught unawares, was thrown on the ground.

When the second thief fell on the ground, Arkaniel lifted up Marim and ran towards the now crawling upright man. When he was getting closer to him, he put Marim down, and told him to run to his mother. Arkaniel placed himself, sword lifted, between the thief and his family, not even considering letting the man go.

Marim ran to his mother, as ordered, but instead of hiding in her extended arms, stood before her, just behind his dad, ready to protect her with his little fists, just like Arkaniel was doing. The boy felt so important and responsible!

The thief leaped up to Arkaniel, a dagger in his hand, seeing no way out but through the three people standing in front of him. Indeed Arkaniel wasn't such a good swordfighter, but he was taller, more muscled and had a better weapon with more range than the horse thief.
The man suddenly bent over a bit and tried to stab Arkaniel while staying low, hoping he would be fast enough to thriumph before the sword hit him. Instead of slashing with his sword, Arkaniel lowered the hilt fast, so that the pommel hit the man on his wrist with the dagger in it. The man's wrist broke under the hit, and he dropped the dagger just inches before he hit Arkaniels belly. The thief moaned of pain and tried to run, but before he even had turned, Arkaniel grabbed him and held his sword before the man's chin.

Reycha felt disappointed and a little hurt. Her boy had refused the warm shelter of her arms! But then she looked at him, small, yet brave, trying to resemble the father he knew and accepted...
Her eyes fell on her husband, so strong and so handsome! His breath was heavy, and his brow was glistering wet in the starlight. And Reycha thought she had not seen him this amazing for quite a long time...

Her musings were interrupted by Marim.

“Mom! Dad! Look!!!” his little finger pointed at the man Arkaniel had knocked out previously. The man had come to his senses and was crawling away.

“Stop!” Arkaniel shouted. Unable to decide whether to leave the man he was holding at the point of his sword as he was and run for the escaping one, he lost prescious seconds. And the thief was smart enought to use them. He jumped up from the ground to his feet and ran. But, to Reycha’s surprize, he didn’t try to escape in the direction where the horses were, but ran instead towards the party tent where people were still dancing and laughing.

“Help!” the man screamed, as if his own life depended on that. “Help! He’s trying to kill me!”

Reycha looked at Arkaniel for any help solving the unexpected turn of the matter. He cursed quietly to himself and turned towards Marim.

“Get me a rope! Quickly!”

Another couple of prescious seconds passed as the second thief was tied up. A dagger was handed to Reycha, and she took it with a dangerous look in her eyes. She still remembered that these two had threatened to her boy!

Only then did Arkaniel set out to pursue the runaway thief. “Hold him!” he shouted to the people, “he’s a thief!”

But the man had already confused the travellers and managed to reach the end of the crowd. Just a moment, and he will be gone!

(please do not hesitate to interfere and act accordingly to your char! There is always a possibility to get confused and try to save the thief, not recognizing Arkaniel in the dark )
In the Realm of Ulmo
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 07:01
((Congratulations, Nifredil! ))

Idly, Halhigil watched the crowds and the couples dancing. Nobody spoke to him; always a hater of making displays and dancing in public, he had long since learned the art of making himself unobtrusive. And even standing at six foot four, an Elf in a tent full of Men, he could blend into the background. No, he remembered, he was not the only one of his race here -- he had caught a glance at another, taller than himself, who looked to be of Noldorin descent. But he had had no chance to speak to him. And in any case, Halhigil generally avoided initiating conversations with strangers.

He had just risen to leave the tent when, with a glance over his shoulder, he saw a man in dark clothing pushing his way through the crowds towards the exit, shouting something about being killed. Halhigil frowned.

Alliss was about to slip out of the tent, head ducked, when she heard someone shout. A second later she was knocked to the floor as a man barrelled right into her in his haste to get out. He went sprawling too, and as she picked herself up she saw him half crawling, half running away. "Help! He's trying to kill me!" he cried again, gesticulating wildly over his shoulder.

The man had regained his balance and was about to run off into the night when a large hand landed heavily on his shoulder. "Now, what is all this about someone trying to kill you?"

Alliss watched, wide-eyed, as the tall stranger spoke so calmly. She noted his leaf-shaped ears and guessed he was Elven, but the thought fled as she watched what followed. She saw the man try to wrench himself away, but the stranger held him in a grip of iron. “Who is trying to kill you?” he repeated. The man said nothing, merely cursed at him and tried to escape. The Elf’s hand tightened around his arm.

Halhigil had had quite enough experience to tell a frightened, guilty face from a merely frightened one. “Let us see what your would-be murderer has to say.” Slowly but irresistibly, he steered him around the edge of the tent, back to where he had run from. “And I assure you that I will not let him kill you unless it seems you deserve it.” The man came quietly enough as they went behind the tent, out of sight.

Following them, Alliss saw the man’s hand move before the Elf could, saw the dull gleam of metal in the moonlight as a dagger slid noiselessly from its sheath. “Be careful!”

Halhigil swore in Sindarin, more in surprise than anger as the blade flashed towards his neck. He slipped out of the dagger’s path with fluid, practised ease, leaning back into what to Alliss’s eyes should have been an impossible position without falling. Twisting, supple as a cat, he kicked the man’s legs from under him as he curved upright, then instantly dropped to the floor before the man could rise or crawl away.

The man lashed out blindly with both hands as he struggled violently against the Elf’s grip, Halhigil considerably handicapped by the desire not to hurt him in case the man was innocent and simply panicking. “Hold his feet! I cannot –”

Though wary of being caught in the head by one of his flying boots, Alliss obediently dropped to the floor and grabbed his legs, linking her arms around his ankles before he knew she was there, and hanging on with all her might as he kicked and struggled. “I’ve got him!”

“Good!” Halhigil could have simply pinned his arms, but he could hardly see, and he wanted to disarm the man before he did himself or someone else serious damage. In the dark, he felt the sharp, hot sting of pain as the knife cut into his arm, and he swore at the man, who was still flailing wildly. “Will you hold still, blast it?” he snapped, seizing the man’s right wrist with a bloody hand as the dagger glinted dully in the faint moonlight, and finally managing to locate and pin his left arm. Halhigil twisted the man’s wrist until he dropped the dagger, cursing with pain. “Now lie still, or I will break your wrist!”

Alliss felt the man’s legs go limp. “Shall I let go?” Her arms were aching and she felt a little unreal, as though she were watching this happen to someone else.

“Yes. Well done – you hung on well. Thank you. Could you take that dagger?” Without letting go of the man’s right wrist, he rose to his feet in a swift, fluid motion, forcing the man to rise with him or let his wrist snap. Halhigil’s left arm throbbed with pain, and he could feel the warm blood slick on his palm. He scowled at the man. “As for you, you can come and talk to our lord, and you can come quietly if you value your arm. I have had quite enough of you.”

[Edited on 19/8/2006 by nelenata]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edited for language
BerethEdhellen

[Edited on 19/8/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2006 09:46
[OOC: this is a joint post by nelenata and me]

“Stop!” Arkaniel shouted. Unable to decide whether to leave the man he was holding at the point of his sword as he was and run for the escaping one, he lost prescious seconds. And the thief was smart enought to use them. He jumped up from the ground to his feet and ran. But, to Reycha’s surprize, he didn’t try to escape in the direction where the horses were, but ran instead towards the party tent where people were still dancing and laughing.
“Help!” the man screamed, as if his own life depended on that. “Help! He’s trying to kill me!”
Reycha looked at Arkaniel for any help solving the unexpected turn of the matter. He cursed quietly to himself and turned towards Marim.
“Get me a rope! Quickly!”
Another couple of prescious seconds passed as the second thief was tied up. A dagger was handed to Reycha, and she took it with a dangerous look in her eyes. She still remembered that these two had threatened to her boy!
Only then did Arkaniel set out to pursue the runaway thief. “Hold him!” he shouted to the people, “he’s a thief!”
But the man had already confused the travellers and managed to reach the end of the crowd. Just a moment, and he will be gone!

As Arkaniel made his way through the crowd, careful not to harm any people by bumping into them, he noticed the thief reaching the end of the crowd. Then all of a sudden a man held the thief and in a matter of seconds he, whom Arkaniel recognised as Halhigil, and a woman he hadn’t seen before struggled with the thief ending up pinning him on the ground. Arkaniel approached them and said: “Thank you for helping, both of you, I was already chasing him for some time.”

"You are most welcome, my lord," said Halhigil with a rather grim smile. "That is a rather different story to the tale we heard, is it not?" He turned to the thief, one eyebrow raised. He had still not let go of the man's wrist, and a trace of humour glinted in his grey eyes, though his arm stung. "He seemed to think you were intending to murder him, my lord."

Arkaniel grinned as well, appreciating the elf’s dry humour. “I was merely going to knock him out, or overpower him, so I could tie him up or let him be tied up by some of the guards”, he responded to Halhigil.

Halhigil rubbed his chin with his free right hand. "Well now, that does not seem quite so horrific as you claimed, my friend," he addressed the man, who had edged as far away from him as he could. "Are you going to go quietly, or shall I break your wrist and keeping twisting?" Behind the lopsided smile, something about the Elf's face said clearly that he was not joking.

“Better wait for that, and mind your language a bit, there is a lady amongst us”, Arkaniel interfered, smiling, with a glance on Alliss,” besides, here is the rope I intended to use for our friend here.” He kneeled and together with Halhigil he managed to tie the arms and the legs of the thief together. “I really appreciate your help and I hope I can repay it to both of you”, Arkaniel started…

Alliss ducked her head, staring at the ground and hiding behind her hair as Arkaniel looked at her, feeling her cheeks burn. She had hoped they had forgotten her, and had been edging away as much as the thief had. She shook her head and mumbled something about there being nothing to thank her for. Without thinking twice, Halhigil raised his right hand and shook his head. "No need, my lord," he assured him with a smile. "You are most welcome. If anyone wants thanking, it is she, and not me." He gave the girl a gentle smile as she ducked her head and stammered something under her breath. "It is not even your job. Thank you."

“Halhigil is right, er…” Arkaniel stuttered, “I don’t remeber seeing you before, you must be new here at the camp. Thank you very much for helping and welcome to our little band of settlers.” Arkaniel gave her a smile, seeing her shyness, nearly the same sort of shyness Reycha had when he met her. Allthough he couldn’t help notice it would probably have to do with her looks. To say it nice, the girl wasn’t exactly as good-looking as most. Still, that didn’t make her different from anyone else…
While the guards finally arrived and took away the thief, Reycha and Marim caught up with him, both looking relieved.

“Well, I am Arkaniel, the future steward of Annuminas” Arkaniel addressed the girl, “and this is my lovely wife, Reycha, and my son, Marim.”

Alliss' blush deepened painfully as she tried to look up without showing her face. "I -- thank you, my lord," she managed haltingly. "My name is Alliss. I -- I am honoured to meet you, my lady."
Halhigil smiled and inclined his head towards the pretty young woman and her son, who looked to be around ten by his reckoning. "As am I." He flexed the fingers of his left hand experimentally.

Reycha greeted them both, but soon after she excused herself and Marim and both went away, tired of the thrills of the evening, after a good night kiss with Arkaniel.
Arkaniel watched them both, feeling pride with his son’s behaviour of this evening and love for the two figures disappearing in the crowd.
Turning to Alliss and Halhigil again, Arkaniel said: “please, leave that lord somewhere where I can’t see or hear it. Just Arkaniel will do fine.”

"As you wish, Arkaniel," said Halhigil simply.
For the first time, Alliss looked up, remembering the dagger. "Oh, my l-- Arkaniel?" she corrected herself quickly, blushing. "I have his dagger here."

Being caught off guard with the sudden change of topic, Arkaniel didn’t know what to say. “I guess, you can keep it, or give it to one of the guards.”

"I -- thank you." She turned it over in her hands, absent-mindedly. For the first time, she noticed the blood on the blade, and looked up at Halhigil. "Is this his blood?"
"No," he said shortly.
Immediately, as always happened when she was working, all Alliss' shyness vanished. "Let me see."
"It will do very well."
Alliss folded her arms. "Your hand is covered in blood."
"Then I should have been faster."
"But given that you were not, it needs looking at." She looked at him levelly. "And please, don't tell me that it will heal on its own. It will be quicker with stitches."
Halhigil couldn't help but shake his head and grin. "You are a healer, then, Alliss? You remind me very much of someone I know. Is there any point in arguing with you?" He sighed and gave a wry smile as Alliss shook her head in response. "No, I thought not. It goes with the profession."

Arkaniel watched the two people arguing about whether or not to stitch the wound, and after a while he said goodbye to both of them and departed, wandering through the crowd, exchanging words and greetings with many of the people. Seeing the happy looks on their faces made him feel well and proud. This were the people that trusted him and wanted to follow him in his dream...

[Edited on 13/9/2006 by CoNFuSeD_Elessar]
~Mirilien~Undómiel~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 20, 2006 11:11
( Joined post by Nel and me )

Not long after she had suddenly run away she heard someone approaching, but she did not feel like turning her head around to see who it was. Besides, she didn’t want anyone to see her like this. For a short moment she thought it was one of her parents after having noticed that she was gone, but when the stranger knelt behind her and began to speak, she recognized Eranric. “I’m fine.” She answered quietly, blushing out of shame. “Oh, no please don’t go find my parents.” Startled did she turn around and grabbed his arm. “They’re so happy right now, I don’t want to ruin it.”

"What, and you think they would feel good when they came back and found that you had been lying here alone while they had fun?" Eranric shook his head, and resisted the impulse to touch her hair. "You're not well. If you want them, I should get them."

“It wasn’t easy for my father to leave Rohan. I’ve been such a burden to him whole my life, don’t let me ruin this for him as well.” Little by little she felt how the tears began to collect themselves in her blue eyes and although she tried to force them back, she couldn’t prevent one from slipping out of the corner of her eye and gliding down her face.

"No doubt it was difficult for you as well." Eranric paused, then realized she was crying. "Oh, stars, please don't cry. I never know what to do when people cry." A lock of thick, tawny hair flopped into his right eye; he blew it away and took her hand. "Look, I've only just met you, and I can't comment on your family relationships. I wouldn't presume to. But I cannot imagine you being a burden to anyone unless it was because they disliked having life made easy for them." A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "I cost my parents dear in frustration and hassle, but I'd never say they considered me a burden, even if I wasn't the son my father could have hoped for."

Maena looked at Eranric while her tears finally stopped flowing, surprised anyone could have hoped for another son than the caring boy in front of her. “Why?”

Eranric shrugged one shoulder. "Well, my father was a wonderful smith. Really. He lived in a village and he was never rich, but if you wanted a sword, you came to him. And people did come, from leagues and leagues away. He always hoped I could carry on the name, be the smith he was..."
He shook his head and gave a rueful smile. "But to tell you the truth, I was never very good at it, and I'm still not. Whatever it was he had, he didn't pass it on to me." Eranric shrugged. "What I really wanted to do was be a baker. I always loved hanging around our local baker, giving him a hand in the kitchens." He grinned.
"You can imagine how that pleased my father. He wasn't impressed. So, I learnt his trade so far as I could, but I was always a disappointment to him, I think." He looked at Maena. "But never a burden. A burden and a worry are not the same thing."

“Mmm, perhaps not.” She turned her head away and looked at Snowfall, standing nearby. The mare was asleep, resting from the long day. The little sorrel however was as restless as usual, her ears kept moving from one side to another, trying to overhear every little sound and with her big, dark eyes she noticed every movement Maena and Eranric were making. “But still, I’ll manage without them.” A slight smile appeared on her face, though her eyes didn’t share it. “How can I ever become Lady Reycha’s maiden if I can’t even by on my own for one evening.”

'Blast,' thought Eranric inwardly. He'd hoped she'd be closer to his end of the social ladder. "That's a very good job! Congratulations," he said aloud, and gave a teasing smile. "You're probably too grand for me to talk to. I can leave you be if you'd like to be alone." She looked much better than she had earlier.

“Oh please don’t say that!” Startled did she look at him. “I don’t know why they asked me, but I’m nothing more than a horse-trainer’s daughter, and not even a famous one. If one of us should be too grand to talk to it will be you, for your father’s fame is wide-spread.”

"Not really. He was only well-known considering that he was a village smith. And besides, such as it was, it was his fame, not mine. I'm not going to live up to that, not in the smithy at any rate."

"And no, I haven't the least idea why you were asked." He grinned. "I mean, who could possibly want a maid who was clean, polite, considerate, self-effacing and pretty?"

'Sweet Valar," he groaned mentally a moment later, 'did I actually *say* that?'

Maena blushed deeply again, not being used to hearing such things. “You’re too kind.” She whispered as an answer. Then she rose and walked over to her horse. “Perhaps you should go, I’ve been keeping you up for far too long now.”

"Not at all. I'm here because I want to be. If I wanted to, I'd make an excuse and go." He followed her over to the mare, and nodded towards the tent some way away. "They'll be carousing until dawn, I shouldn't wonder. Is this your horse?"

Maena nodded. “She has been my best friend for as long as I can remember.”

"Horses make good friends," Eranric nodded. "They listen without arguing or answering back." He ran a hand along the mare's neck; her coat was smooth and she looked fit. "She looks in good condition." He smiled. "Lady Reycha is lucky if you look after her half so well. How old is she?" he asked, referring to the grey mare.

“She just turned eleven years old.” At that moment the shadow of two people walking closely to each other appeared and Maena immediately recognised them as her parents. “My parents have returned from the feast. Please go now, before they see you.” When she noticed the confused look in his eyes she added: “They are already thinking of a marriage when I’m even looking at a guy, let alone talking to one.”

Eranric laughed. "Oh, certainly. I shall sneak off quietly, then. Good night -- I hope you feel better."

nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 10:09
((Oh, alright then. I've put Rosien in the Db.))

Lady Rosien sighed and fiddled with a strand of her long, wavy red hair. She was tired of dancing and bored of watching, but she did not let it show on her face; she knew better. Most of these rustics could hardly dance - and in any case, there was hardly any point now that Arkaniel had gone. Unlike most, Rosien was quite happy to drop his title - if it put him in good humour, then all to the good, though she privately thought it a mark of inexperience in courtly circles.

As she smiled and laughed with the women on either side of her, Rosien sighed inwardly with impatience. She had been sent up here with a caravan to set up a trading post for her father's company, and she missed Pelagiad. She missed the sea, the hiss of surf on sand and the salt wind in her smooth, thick hair. But most of all, she missed the company. Her fingers unconsciously twisted a ring around her finger in irritation. The women who hung around her were irksome - vapid, tittering girls most of them, and the others were clumsy, rustic peasants with no manners and nothing to talk about save gossip and the weather. Like that girl who hung around Arkaniel, with that brat of hers.

Well, perhaps that was a little unfair, conceded Rosien to her own uncharitable thought. She was pretty and polite enough, not a complete peasant. But her bearing and speech made Rosien want to laugh. How had a little rustic like that managed to get into the good graces of a man like Arkaniel? Probably some serving-girl who had got herself into trouble with him... Her full lips twitched into an involuntary mocking smile at the thought. Perhaps that was where the boy came from! She suppressed a laugh. Stupid girl.

"What's so funny?" asked the vulgar woman on her left. "Were you listening to me?"

Rosien's smile vanished and her lips tightened slightly. She disliked the woman intensely, but she was the wife of a wealthy silversmith, so it paid to be civil. "Nothing; only an idle thought. I am sure that nothing in Arda could divert my interest from your third cousin's wedding."

The barb whistled over the woman's head, and she prattled on. Rosien's brows knitted slightly as she fiddled with the sleeve of her green dress. It wasn't one of her best, but it suited her, setting off her hair and pale skin. That was something else she disliked about travel - the difficulty in staying clean and well-dressed. She was by no means as interested in fashions and clothing as most of her peers, but she liked to be well-groomed and look her best - perhaps because, as she was aware, her best was very good indeed. Rosien was slim and shapely, and she knew that her delicate features and curving smile tended to have considerable effect when she wanted them to. 'But for pity's sake, it is possible to be beautiful and have the brains to speak of things other than fashions and weddings!'

As she glanced about the room, she tried to think of a way to escape her chattering companion. She was sure that she had seen at least two Elves around, and there were a thousand things that Rosien longed to ask them. She had always had a lively, enquiring mind, and the Valar knew that she was desperate for intelligent conversation.

"Oh, there is my husband! Excuse me, Rosien - I must just speak to him!"

'*Lady* Rosien,' she thought to herself in irritation as the woman finally vanished. She had no objection to her equals leaving off her title, but when her inferiors did so without invitation it irked her. She had suffered enough to make her mother happy by acquiring it that she felt she'd more than earnt the right to use it. Suddenly, she caught sight of Arkaniel through the crowds, and slipped through the throng of people in his direction.

It wasn't just that he was handsome and influential, thought Rosien as she approached him - he could hold a conversation, and he had manners. They had danced quite a lot earlier on. Though somewhere deep down, she wondered if she would seek him out so if he were not to be the new lord of Arnor. Rosien was a businesswoman at heart, and she knew how to network. 'And besides, she thought, 'he must be tired of that girl always hanging around him!'

"Good evening once more, Arkaniel," she said as she fell into step beside him. She tilted her head to one side and smiled, the soft light glinting in her hair. "Do you know happened earlier, that disturbance outside? Everyone is full of questions, and yet nobody seems to know."

----------

Rosien - 'red-haired maiden'

((You win, CoNFuSeD_Elessar... Nothing against Reycha personally, Nifredil! Rosien's just a bit... snobby. ))

[Edited on 3/1/2007 by nelenata]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2006 11:56
(Just perfect, nelenata! Just what we needed )

Reycha rubbed her eyes, sitting by her son's bed. Marim was asleep, looking so peaceful and innocent in the mobile bed that was too big for him. Reycha reached forward to brush a dark lock from the boy's forehead, and suppressed a tremble. It had been so terrifying! Just now, when she had the time to think about the things that had happened recently, and, even more frightingly - what COULD have happened, she couldn't help shivering. Just one wrong movement, and she could have lost the two people she held dear above everyone else! That blood-thirsty knife could have reached her beloved husband's heart, had he been just a second too slow, and one of those criminals could have easily strangled her boy! If Marim hadn't been sleeping, Reycha would have embraced him tightly, in fear to let him out of her armas again. But now she just sighed and lay down in her own bed, her eyes open, waiting for her husband. And her mind shifted back to meeting that ugly girl... Aliss, was her name... or something like that. She remembered the girl's evasive eyes, her nervousness, and she didn't like it. There was something suspicious about her. As if she were hiding something. Her true objectives, probably?

Reycha turned on the other side, staring at the tent's entrance now. There had been an elf, too. Reycha liked elves, they were good people. She scratched her nose. Had she seen Aliss before? She reckoned she had. But where?

Tired of the day's events, her eyelids closed before Reycha noticed it, and minute after she was deeply asleep. Thus ended her wish to stay awake until Arkaniel returned.

(nothing against Aliss personally. Just a random thought that crossed my mind - to misunderstand the girl's shyness and evasiveness. I hope it will add a new and interesting subplot )
In the Realm of Ulmo
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: September 16, 2006 10:15
PB and Bel had now become great friends and were seldom seen apart.
They had explained to Arkaniel there hopes for teaching their own special metalcrafts to the new settlers; Bel wanting to pass on the unique talents and abilities he had developed over the last 4 millenia- the ability to see that final product in the rough metal, to use your mind to help the hammer shape the tool, and the special additives that could make the tools (or weapons) eversharp, corrosion free, and tuned to the final user.
PB, over his life, had developed a methodology for shaping metals with the smaller hammers that a Hobbit could wield. He wanted show how smaller weaker peoples could still become skilled smiths. He had found that some of the things that Bel could do would always be beyond him, but he still had a lot to pass on.
Both were happy to learn that other smiths had joined with Arkaniel and were eager to share techniques with them.

They had left the Prancing Pony, and set up camp at the Northern edge of Arkaniel's camp, trying to fit in better, but they stayed out of the 'politics' of the group , and made few friends besides Alliss, who they tried to stay near and protect as best they could. They had worked hard to build up the young girl's confidence and weren't about to allow anyone to hurt her. Unfortuneately, they had been busy at the smithy and missed her encounter with drawn weapons, so they now made sure that one of them always had the girl in his sight.

[Edited on 16/9/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2006 09:49
[OOC : this is a joint post by nelenata and me]

It wasn't just that he was handsome and influential, thought Rosien as she approached him - he could hold a conversation, and he had manners. They had danced quite a lot earlier on. Though somewhere deep down, she wondered if she would seek him out so if he were not to be the new lord of Arnor. Rosien was a businesswoman at heart, and she knew how to network. 'And besides, she thought, 'he must be tired of that girl always hanging around him!'

"Good evening once more, Arkaniel," she said as she fell into step beside him. She tilted her head to one side and smiled, the soft light glinting in her hair. "Do you know happened earlier, that disturbance outside? Everyone is full of questions, and yet nobody seems to know."

Arkaniel was surprised to be addressed again by Rosien. For a moment he was a bit caught off guard, both thinking on what to say and at the same time admiring her good looks.
He got himself together again in an instant and answered her: "good evening to you, too, lady Rosien, allthough it is already more a good morning we're ought to say.”
“That disturbance nothing much, just some horse-thieves”

"Morning already?" Rosien smiled and raised an eyebrow. "I have a feeling that there will be more than a few sore heads by dawn." This was certainly true. Most of the men and plenty of the women still in the tent were in a state of merry inebriation, and there were several figures either asleep or passed out in their chairs.

“Yes indeed, but then again, this is there last night of amusement for a long time, since once we arrive, there will only be hard work to get things started. All of us have a tough couple of months ahead of us.”

"True enough. A difficult few years even, I would reckon on. I fear that you will have harder work than most -- perhaps all. Restoring and setting up not only a ruined capital, but a kingdom... I would not care to shoulder such a burden myself." She smiled at him, teasing. "Perhaps you should get drunk as well, Arkaniel. By that argument you should be relaxing most of all."

"Maybe I should yes, or maybe it is best not to become drunk", he grinned, "I enjoy a bowl of wine or a pull of beer every once in a while, but I like keeping my head clear. As for that matter, you don't seem to be drunk either.”

Rosien laughed. "No. I actually dislike immoderacy. There is nothing attractive about senselessly drunk men staggering around -- except perhaps light entertainment for those watching."
"But you said there were horse thieves?" She raised her eyebrows. "It would take either great courage or great rashness to target so large a company for theft. What did you do?"

“My son, Marim, caught them on the scene, stealing trying to steal some horses while everyone was either asleep or at the party. But when he ran of to warn someone, they discovered him and chased him… Ah well, the story might bore you a bit, lets just say they are both captured and everyone is all right.”

'Son? Interesting,' she thought. 'So did that girl actually manage to get him to marry her, or has he adopted the brat? "Such stories are far from boring," she said aloud, then grinned. "But if you are shyer of boasting than most men, we can change the subject."

"Like all men, I like boasting, but my contribution in this story isn't so big, Marim is the real hero," Arkaniel smiled, by Tulkas, how proud he was. He added: "He protected Reycha as fierce as a true soldier." While saying this, he felt the tension again of being in danger and the adrenaline that rushed into him when his family was at risk…

Rosien chuckled. "I think that sometimes small boys act more like men than the men do! Certainly sons of great men. They all want to be big and strong like Father." She tilted her head to one side. "I didn't know you had a son?"
"Yes and no. I adopted Marim as my son when I married his mother 4 years ago, but I love him as if he was my own. But i take it as a compliment that you see him as the son of a great man," Arkaniel teased.

'So he is married to her.' That was inconvenient. Though Rosien had to give the girl her due -- it had obviously been cleverly done. She knew much better than to voice her entertaining speculations about Marim's adoption and birth; they were far better laughed at in private. 'I shall have to think about this.
Rosien smiled. "So you should. But I still say you are being modest." Suddenly she saw the woman who had been talking to her earlier trying to get her attention a few yards away. She ducked her head towards Arkaniel, trying not to catch the woman's eye.
"Please look absorbed in conversation," she murmured, half-laughing. "Forgive me! But this woman has been bending my ear all evening about some distant cousin of hers -- I hate to be uncivil, but I could not bear another half-hour of talk about weddings!"

"That isn't hard to believe at all", Arkaniel agreeed, "People can get winded up sometimes about things that might seem uninteresting to others". "However, I always try to listen, for most of the time, it will prove useful, especially if it is about business or power."

"Well, quite. If it were not for business I would have made my excuses sooner," she replied with a hint of wryness. "As a woman I come in for more than my fair share of gossip and wedding conversations. The rest of my sex seem obsessed with the things."

"My well-meant consolations for that, I still remember the gossip and wedding arrangements from the staff at my father's estate. I somehow managed to escape listening to gossip lately. I think most people don't dare anymore because of my new title, however much I try to blend in...," Arkaniel said while his look drifted away from the gorgeous women, thinking...

To be continued soon...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email