Author Topic:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
Post Costumes - Elves
on: April 25, 2006 08:22
Does anyone have a sketch of what a female Elven ranger out of Mirkwood
might wear..?
Most of what I have either comes out too Goth or too Biker...

Namaste,
Maia aka Cat:

[Edited on 21/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Costumes - Elves
on: April 27, 2006 08:04
OK so I'm responding to my own post...

Thinking of doing the leathers in a dark maple brown with stamped leaves on the edges, and detailing the leaves in either old gold or a light forest green...
Question is would that be too noticable in the forest if worn with green bdu pants and shirt?

Namaste,
Maia aka Cat.
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2006 06:45
*nudge* No worries, I'll help you out if I can. I like the idea of the leathers being a maple brown and the leaf pattern sounds just lovely. Is it going to be more of a scrolling leaf (aka: like ivy, think vines) or just a stamped type pattern (more like a stencil where there are spaces between the leaves with no connecting lines)? I would say, if you're going with the maple browns on the leather, that the gold would look better as long as it isn't metallic. In other words, a gold color, not gold leaf. In the woods, the gold against the brown is a perfectly natural conbination. For anyone trying to hide themselves in the woods, you definitely don't want to go with one solid color.

Is the tunic you are making sleeveless? If not, I would look into the option of doe skin. I wouldn't try to make the whole outfit out of the same leather. Look at Aragorn's outfit, it's sort of meal peice. It's made of many types of leathers and for anyone living out in the wilds, that's pretty normal. The outfit would have been repaired several times depending on how old it is (older leather would also be darker and more supple from natural oils) and if you look at different hides, you'll find that it wouldn't always be easy to get the whole outfit from one animal, thus the different leathers. Try making the main part of the tunic out of one leather and the sleeves (or pants) out of another.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2006 04:18
Well, the pants and tunic I have are of cotton in what the Swiss think
of as olive drab [the color is closer to a dark sage green].

Yes I canibalize cloth and fabric...

As for the exact leaf pattern I will know that when I stamp it on
the heavy leather... though maple and elm leaves apeal to me, along
with willow leaves.

What do you think of a dark gold [not metalic] outlining on a fir or
dark green leaf, over a maple brown background?

I've to make a sleeveless jerkin and arm guards in the heavy leather....

I am thinking of an underjerkin of moss green leather with cutwork on the neck and sleaves... though moss green might be too light...

Namaste,
Maia aka Cat
otterling
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2006 02:02
Well, I think as long as the gold outlining is fairly thin and refined as opposed to a heavy, thick outline, then it would look quite nice. Actually, if you only use the gold on the very edges as a thin outline, you COULD use a metallic gold paint. Either one would look good, though if you use the gold as an outline, I would say use a darker gold color as opposed to anything too yellow-ish, otherwise, I would worry that the green would pull out the yellow tones in your gold and make it look strange. :/

The tunic sounds very nice though and I would love to see the detailed edging of your leather when it's done. I really like the idea of the willow leaves as you don't see that sort of thing much (with everyone seeming to prefer the ivy patterns) but I'm worried how difficult that might prove with heavy leather. As for the under jerkin, as long as there isn't a whole lot of it showing, then there shouldn't be a problem with bringing in a lighter green.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2006 07:37
As for colors on the hard leather I will seal each color before painting another layer of color...
It will take longer to do the willow leaves then the others and I'll need to mix silver into the green to get the right texture on the leaves... that would mean only gold outlines with shadows done in the brown...

OK five layers
brown dye
green leaves
silver leaves
Old Gold edging aka outlines
brown shadow detailing

And that is after cutting, wetting, stamping, drying, and also setting
the eyelets in to the armguards and sewing the seams on the jerkin...

Same goes for the belt with an added step for setting the buckle and
holes but no seams to sew.

Does that sound about right for the hard leather goods? :blush:

The short sleaves and the colar of the under-jerkin will show and perhaps
a bit of the bottom edge say 4 inches in the front and back.
More would show if the hard jerkin is open.
The green color close to that of willow leaves I think.

Sigh I'd better start gathering soft leather scraps for the under-jerkin...

I am going to put a copy of willowleaves in my photo section if I can...
don't know if you can see them there or not...

Namaste Siddhe,
Maia aka Cat.

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 05:07
Im responding to my own post again...
I found some Elven drawings by Henning Janssen, and he has some good
ideas on what Elven Rangers look like...
I'm not sure just how close my creations will come to his visions,
but it will take a few months to put one of his outfits together...

I've to inventory my stocks now and see what I have to buy to make
Elven clothes... :rolling:

I found some rust colored cotton in an lod skirt so I am parting it out for
the fabric...
I also found 3 boxes of green fabric so my first mockup will be in green
and rust cloth....
More later...

[Edited on 22/6/2006 by vicarcat]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2006 06:53
OK it is me again. I was given a pair of gray leather pants [bad weather style]...
So it looks like I amy end up with two sets of ranger gear!
Will post photos of finished gear later.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 05:36
OK Silverleaf's belt is finished.
I've put a photo up of Silverleaf'sbelt under members fanart in the gallery...
The belt photos are up now...
My belt will undergo a similar transformation next week...
Also armguard photos up later.
Sorry things take so long but have to work on projects in my time off... :blush:

[Edited on 8/8/2006 by vicarcat]

[Edited on 9/8/2006 by vicarcat]
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:38
**Cough** Yeah, for textiles A level I'm making a Silmarillion costume to go with my script (plug, plug, plug... The trailers is on fanfiction.net under Purplefluffychainsaw...) Has anyone got any ideas? Or requests, seeming as I plan to sketch up as many as possible and stick on a website... I love this... The Silmarillion is mah wee big pet proj'ct. I've got two for Earendil, and one for Elwing so far... I think I need to work on some of the guys... And Beleg.
(Oh yeah, A Level is important tests taken at eighteen in England [Gods, at least I think it is...] which I am taking a Textiles one early as I gave up German)

admin edit: moved from a 2004-6 thread.

[Edited on 21/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:38
How about Feanor and sons? It'd be a challenge to make so many costumes that share enough design elements to make them similar without making it look like some kind of uniform or basically seeming unnatural. Um... gosh, it's been ages since I read the Sil... If I think of anything else, I'll pop back here, but otherwise good luck with the project. I have all that A-level-y goodness to come...
Kiss
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:39
Interesting. I'm going to be shooting a film this fall as well (not LOTR inspired though). Could you provide a direct link to your trailer as I can't seem to find it on the website you give.

I'm interested in hearing more about this project. Let me know when you have a website up!
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:39
very cool!
(and very ambitious -- yowza!!)

I see the trailer storyboard/text/whateveryacallit calls for lots of folks... personally, I'd start with Beren and Luthien, but hey..

I'd imagine elven styles don't change quickly... I think something simpler in the Elder Days though... perhaps akin to ornate chitons?

I cant wait to see your sketches!

BTW == Lathronethiel has some wonderful stuff on her site:
www.geocities.com/lathronethiel
Lathronethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:40
thanks for recommending me, faerfen!

i would really appreciate it if you took a look at my site, i DO have one or two 1st age costumes, and a numenorean one as well.

i have so many ideas to share with you, purple, if you want! if you're lookin for help, that is, with sketches and designs. as far as construction, i haven't much. gotta have money to create, sadly...

heh, well, good luck with A level!
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Wow! Thank-you guys!
Faramirs_first_kiss: That's a great idea... challange... thing. (Couldnae help mahsel'!) In fact, as I have textiles next... [TBC]

Gildor-Inglorion: I'm not acctually filming it; that'd be waaaay to hard for me. I'm just writting up the script (and the trailers) it script format, and then doing some story boards as well. I would post a link here, but fanfiction.net is blocked on the school internet.. Sorry!

Faerfaen: Yeah, I was going to try for a couple of things as simple as possible, and I'm probably going to get in trouble for it, (lazy me!), but ne'er mind. Beren and Luthien... I think I acctually have a design for Luthien at home... Hmmm...

Lathronethiel: Cool, thanks! I wasn't going to create more than one, because I, too, am sadly lacking in money. But hey, who knows? I may get a chance to make them at some point!
Arwen~of~Lothlorien
Council Member
Send Message
So what exactly are you asking for? Suggestions for characters or designs or suggestions for costumes? I'd love to help once I understand. Sorry I'm easily puzzled!
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:41
Either! I just don't have enough imagination to go round ALL of the characters in ALL of their scenes! Gods know, Tolkien made it hard enough for LotR, but for the Silmarillion... **twitchtwitch**
That sounds kinda rant-y, doesn't it? Oh well.. It wasn't meant to!
Arwen~of~Lothlorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:42
No worries. Wasn't so rant-y. Anyway, I'd love to help!

A first suggestion I'd make would be to look on the alleycatscratch page about Elves and Humans in general. Read any and all books of Tolkien's including the History of Middle-Earth. Take notes about the costumes he may mention. Suggestion I have about specific characters and races would include:
Galadriel: I would suggest going for a contrast to her White Lady personality. Darker colours, not as much beadwork on the gowns, very regal costumes. As her clothing became very simple (as simple as an Elven gown can be!) and lightly-coloured later on, if you're going for contrast, possibly go for multiple layers on the gown, dark colours like deep greens, midnight blues, bloody reds, possibly blacks even. Also consider patterned, rich fabrics and trims-I would say, instead of going by the Lorien style, (movie) which seems to be pale colours and light fabrics, go by the Rivendell look, (Also Movie) of darker colours and heavier fabrics. Rivendell Elves also wear jewelry whereas the Lorien elves (other than Galadriel) do not. They also wear patterned fabrics. I'd say if you want to go with contrast, they're a good start. This is only if you like the way they went in the movie.

Hope this helps, more later!
celebrin_uial
Council Member
Send Message
I love the idea for a Silmarillion Movie, even though it would be incredibly epic and long and expensive lol anyway aiside from that I do have some suggestions as well as questions.

For costuming purposes i heard on the extended DVD that many of the elvish costumes were based on the lines of the tengwar, as well as the armor. However this took place in the later part of the second age, when the elves were already well integrated. The Doriathrhim however lived isolated for quite some time and had their own system of writing, the cirth, more famously used by the Dwarves. One way you could go is to first seperate the Noldor fromt he Sindar by using their writing systems to represent their cultures. I have done a little of this in my sketches, one of which is posted in fancreations.

One reason for seperating the two elvish cultures in the beginning aside from hair color, is that the audience might become confused as to where they are and who is speaking.

One way to distinguish the elves is by color tones, if youve read the fanfiction of Marnie she does an excellent job of distinguishing the two cultures by using such simple methods of color in dress. Darker for the Sindar, or "dark elves" lighter for the Noldor or "light elves".

I commend you for writing a sil script And wish you the best of luck.

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
Dear Purple; do you have an illustrated copy of the Guide to Tolkein's World
a Bestiary by David Day?
It has all kinds of nice illustrations of Elves throughout the history of
Middle Earth.

Just a thought... :wave:
cirithungol
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2011 11:43
you know what would be cool Purple? is if you made luthiens cloak that she made from her hair? of course not actual hair would be involved, but a fabric or texture that looked like it?

By the way, i absolutely love your trailer.
Aranel_Nimthîriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2011 12:14
Just wanted to say, im excited because Im almost fnished! Just the silk underskirts, sleeves and the collar left, its good to finally be able to see an end to my work, because I've hand stitched the garment and it has taken so long. Ill post some pictures once I've finished if you like? Yay

Chase coat at the Casa Loma exhibit.
Aran_Quendi
Council Member
Send Message
WOW! That is REALLY impressive, especially since you hand stitched it all, exactly how long did it take you?
Aranel_Nimthîriel
Council Member
Send Message
Im afraid I have been misleading, everyone seems to think that the picture is of the coat I made, but it is the actual coat used in the movie, the picture is from a travelling movie exhibit courtesy of alleycatscratch.com. :blush: Im a bit embarrased hehe, as im sure my coat wont live up to the stunning work of the movie costumers. Ill put some pictures of my coat on here when Im finished though, its taken a LONG time to make with the hand stitching yes, maybe a month or so of solid work, although its taken a lot longer than that in reality as Ive been putting it down and taing it back up as it suited me.

My first attempt at dressmaking anywho, Ill post the pictures of my attempt soon, thanks for the replys

SongofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2011 12:23
Hey there, I know some of you wanted to see pics of my costumes. Well, I put some in the gallery. Look up 'Tirisfal 1" and "Tirisfal 2" to see my Forest Maiden dress.
I'll probably put some more up in the gallery soon. So hold your horses!
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2011 12:23
I saw and posted a comment! Thanks for sharing too!
Did you make the costumes yourself?

Oh, yeah, Trisfal was awesome!
SongofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2011 12:24
Oh, thank you! Yes, I did all of the costumes in Tirisfal. They were so much fun... not to mention that most of them are either drapes or bed sheets! But y'all don't know that.
I'm hoping to post some more pictures of Tirisfal costumes, as well as my Arwen Chase Dress that I am so blinkin' pleased with. Mebbe I do it tonight!
SongofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, another one is up, this time of Eerlyshia Silvermist, the head male elf of the film. I wish I still had this costume... gee, don't you love his boots?
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Great costumes.....did you say film? Yoyu mean afan film?
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
Another cool costume! You got some talent! Be proud!
Did you use a pattern to make it?
I can't remember the brand name (McCalls I think) but there are LOTRish costume patterns you can get. I got one and had a garb made similar to the one your showing. ^^
SongofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2011 12:25
Thanks!
Feyna- I used patterns- both Simplicity, actually. There are a number of patterns with LOTRish airs to them. I love getting them- though I don't always use them!
Aragorn16- it's a film, but not a fantasy film. The address for it is in my siggy!

Edited to include: Most of the Tirisfal costumes are up on Etsy.com... my shop name is 'WillowsWorks'. Be sure and look me up!

[Edited on 26/8/2010 by SongofRivendell]
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2011 12:10
I am putting together an elf costume. The problem is that I need it by next Tuesday, June 14. I have a skirt, a partially finished cloak, and a blouse, but I need a vest to wear over the blouse. (I already had the skirt and blouse and don't have time to make a dress.) Preferably green velvet. Does anyone know of a good pattern for one?

...Yeah, I'll try to get myself more notice before I have to make my next costume.

Edit: okay, forget the blouse, I must have given it away. I have a hobbit blouse. But I want to be an Elf.

[Edited on 9/6/2011 by Ellirwen]
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -A Midsummer Night's Dream
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Hi Ellirwen, since none of our costume makers appears to be around, I'll try to reply belatedly.
I'm far from sure a vest is an actual elven clothing article, as the info on this, such few pieces as we have, does not list this as item for either male or female clothing. There are short and long tunics, robes and overrobes, shirts and blouses, but not actual vests.

As for designs and the actual making of clothes, here's an interesting article on that:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elves.htm
I also found others via Google, but this one seems to be one of the best and most canon-mindful.
I daresay a leaf pattern is never a wrong choice for Elven clothing.

I hope your cosplay or party goes well!

[Edited on 13/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
I know. I wish I had time to make a dress. I was thinking about putting a sheer skirt on the vest to flow over the real skirt, but it's not finished anyway.
I have a hobbit-like bouse and skirt. But I don't look like a hobbit. (Too tall, very slim, and not nearly as busty as the ones in the movies. ) Maybe I could get away with it if I curl my hair? I think that's what I'll end up doing. Better a hobbit than a half-vast elf.
Thank you ~noleme~!
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -A Midsummer Night's Dream
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 23, 2011 11:24
I am bumping this thread, as it's one of our most popular ones.
Feel free to ask questions about Elf costumes here (although checking out the CoE sources on costumes is a good idea beforehand).
Also, we invite you to share here small images or links to your newest elf costuming creation.
As far as other costumes are concerned, there is a thread for Orcs, and feel free to start a thread if you wish to show images of, or get feedback for, the other races.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email