Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hunt for the Palantir(open, slightly scripted)
on: July 12, 2006 04:20
OOC: This is open to everyone who wishes to join. No more than two characters per person and If you're coming in later please PM me first and check. The background is that its the fourth age, and the War of the Ring is over. King Ellessar has requested a search to begin for the lost Palantir of Annuminas. Once believed to have been lost in the Ice Bay, an ancient scripture showed that this wasn't possible because it couldn't fall through the ice. It's last known location was south of Carn Dum but east of the Shire, west of the misty mountains, and north of Rivendell.

IC: Macar looked out across the fields of Pelennor, with his wolf Hithan beside him. He couldn't believe that after all the searches through the ancient scriptures they had found a Palantir that had survived, and now would be sent to look for it. He turned around and looked back at the men behind him. Rangers mostly, some regular soldiers of gondor, and even a couple of elves, but it was hard to tell. He had waited so long for this moment, to journey to the North to find the lost Palantir. All of them were laden with supplies for the journey. Water, food, and tons of extra weapons. "Just in case" King Ellessar had said, but Macar knew better. Even with the fall of Sauron, their odds of running into orcs was very high, higher than most believed he knew. He glanced back at the troops. Some looked nervous, but most looked excited. They started to march out through the great gates of the city.
"Well," Macar said, looking down at Hithan, "Here we go."
They didn't have any horses but were hoping to get some in edoras, among other things. They would go through the gap of rohan, and then swing north, once they were west of the mountains. He was looking forward to this trip though, he knew many rangers in the northern lands who he believed could aid their hunt.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Hunt for the Palantir(open, slightly scripted)
on: July 12, 2006 06:11
Ahlara travelled in silence, and it was the first silence she had been able to enjoy in awhile. The war was over, and every part of Middle Earth seemed to glow with pride and joy. Though fleeing orcs still roamed the lands, Ahlara was content and had no worry unless she were to sense trouble near by.

Ahlara's hair was pulled tightly to the back of her hood, and she would merely come across as a man, as her hood covered most of her face and her clothes were worn and dark. She preferred it this way, since it would avoid raising questions as if she were able for men's deeds or not.

Ahlara was near Isengard, quite close to its once beautiful tower. It lay quiet and untouched, but evil still bubbled in its memory. Scatters of orc shields and swords had been washed onto once green grass, and each bore a white hand of Isengard. It made Ahlara uneasy being so close, and dug her heels into her horse and hastenend her journey.

At the brink of eve, Ahlara was almost quite certain that there was something was close by. Before darkness fell on the earth, Ahlara rode faster until she was away from trees and could see the land before her. To the north in the distance there were more trees, and to the west there were mountains, and yet to her east, there was a hastenend band of people.

Curious, yet careful, Ahlara rode towards the east, coming up behind the company. Being careful to keep her hood pulled low, she rode forth to the company leader. There were Rangers and Elves and even men from Gondor. What a strange paty, Ahlara thought to herself.

"Good eve," Ahlara said, to a man standing at the front of all the others.

o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2006 06:57
"Well met" Macar replied "What business do you have with the company of the palantir?" The hair on Hithans neck stood up and he growled a bit, but Macar wasn't worried. No lone man would attack their company, and if he did, he would be killed before he could get off a strike.
"We are heading north if you wish to join us."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2006 11:30
"Company of the Palantir, you say," Ahlara said curiously.

There had been rumors that there was still one to the north. But they were fairytales and legends...mere stories. Ahlara chuckeled inside. Whomever sent these people was most likely to be a fool.

"The north is where you hasten?" asked Ahlara. "The lands there are where some of my people lay, and I know the land well. I travel alone as you may see, and I see no purpose to accompany you. Yet there are many bands of orcs that still wonder these lands, and many that retreat north for a 'safe place' to regather. I have heard upon the wind that many flee there to set a plot. Surely you must have heard? Yet you still travel possibly to death to find an artifact to back up the stories?"

Ahlara thought for a moments time, then finally agreed that she would accompany them. Running into orcs with a large company would be better than a single person against many enemies.

"I will accompany you to the north, though how much further I go to seek your palantir, I do not know."

She nodded to the company leader with a small smile playing on her rosey lips, and trotted beside him, carefully looking off into the darkness. It was a while later she realized some of her hair had fallen from her hood, and she quickley pulled it back, carefully pulling her hood further over her face.

[Edited on 12/7/2006 by Ahlara]
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2006 01:04
"Hithan go scout out the area around us."
It had been several hours earlier that they had made camp and Macar was getting tired of Hithan growling at Ahlara. It didn't seem like he was scared or worried, just that something was out of place with that one. But he had a lot of thinking to do since the stranger had come upon them. He had been aware of the risks that they were taking in this hunt. It had been orcs, after all, who had decimated his family all those years before. It was that kind of memory that gave him the extra drive when they did go into battle. He knew in the morning he would have to let the others know just what they were heading into, and give any of them a chance to leave if they so desired.
Hithan suddenly trotted back into camp, and didnt show Macar anything he had found. Macar wasn't able to sleep well. Maybe it was that he had too much on his head. He stood up, whistled for Hithan, and quickly and quietly left camp past the guards. He would return well before dawn but that still left him hours. He wanted to just think and see the world around him.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2006 03:32
Ahlara sat on a small boulder, near to the camp. She had had enough of that wolf growling at her, and the reasons were understandable. She was a woman, and surely such a smart creature would be able to distinguish male from female. It had scouted the area, and came back to its master. And both now had left the camp and were walking towards the boulder on which Ahlara sat, unable to sleep.

A little fire Ahlara had made from dead twigs and dried leaves was starting to die down, and a little chill ran through her bones. She was not tired, and strangely enough, she felt more uncomfortable that the war was over instead of peaceful and at ease. It worried her.

Many more troubles were adding to the heavy weight that tioled on Ahlara's mind. Partly was to do with the company's 'mission' and the danger it provoked, and the other was the north. It was long since she had returned to those lands, yet each detail of the mountains, trees and unknown passes were still fresh in her mind. She had not intended so close to the end of the war that she would return. Most of her family had perished at the glorious White City of Gondor, yet there was still her cousin who dwelled in the north...alive or dead, Ahlara did not know. Seeing him again would cause too many problems for Ahlara.

Ahlara watched as the company leader walked closer. She was sure he had seen her, for she could tell he was wise, and there was a comfortable feeling he hosted...but Ahlara was prone to warming to strangers and it did not do her well. Closer they came.

Great, Ahlara thought to herself, lighting her little pipe of weed. That is all I need, that beast disturbing my peace yet again. She threw some more twigs onto her fire, and threw a piece of meat she had not eaten onto the floor for the wolf...in hope that it would leave her alone and let her attempt to relax before tomorrow's journey. Ahlara then carefully made sure her hair was neatly back in her hood.

As the two drew closer, Ahlara's horse quietly grunted and moved closer into the shrub.

"Do you not sleep?" Ahlara said to the man. "You have a long journey tomorrow, and you have no steed to ease your legs."

Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2006 04:06
((Backtracking a little...my character, Raniean Randomirion, is in the database))

When King Elessar had notified those closest to him that a search was to be made for the Palantir once deemed lost, Raniean's heart leapt within him. He had come with Prince Legolas to help settle and rebuild Ithilien, but the work of building and helping the government wore on the captain, who loved action better than words. Legolas, as his sovereign, understood and gave him the necessary permission.

Traveling on foot was no hardship for the Mirkwood elf, but he kept silent about that; the men of Gondor and the Rangers hoped for horses. He could understand. They would travel faster on horses, and he confessed that he preferred them to traveling on foot as well.

He shifted his pack to a more comfortable place; a place that did not hinder his right sword arm. Most were surprised that a Silvan elf of Mirkwood showed such proficiency with a sword; that art was best practiced by the Noldor, who created swords. Be that as it may, Raniean was very good with both the bow and the sword. The sword was just easier to reach when his back was loaded with all manner of food supplies. He wondered about that; surely they would be able to hunt along the way, and the wilds lacked no other kind of food for those who knew how to search for it. But it was the king's orders, and he did not question them. The north was a hard place, Elessar had said, and food was hard to find. 'Twas best to be prepared for anything.

Raniean said naught when the stranger joined the party. His sharp, quick eyes picked up the tells that revealed more than the stranger wanted known, but he kept his peace. A lone woman traveling in the wild was an invitation to all kinds of trouble. It was akin to Legolas making himself look like a male human when he entered human dwellings, which he had done in the past. It was all a matter of what people believed.

When night fell, Raniean shed his load gratefully beside the fire and took his bow from its resting place on his back. Someone would need to keep watch, two people for preference, and he enjoyed the duty. He took to the trees, where he could hear and see everything that went on around him.

Down below, the lone woman was cooking her meal over a small fire, with Macar's wolf, Hithan growling at her. The wolf and the elf both knew the truth about the lady, Raniean reflected. The wolf just had no higher thought processes to express what was wrong with the woman who dressed as a man.

Macar went out past Raniean and the others on guard, seemingly restless about something. As they approached the woman, she looked up and asked, "Do you not sleep? You have a long journey tomorrow, and you have no steed to ease your legs."

Raniean grunted quietly to himself and nodded. The woman got it right, but he knew a little bit about their leader. He was also a man of action and preferred to see things for himself.
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2006 11:55
"A wanderer once told me 'If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.' " Macar quoted to Ahlara. "There is something different about you."
He reached out and gently took Ahlara's chin in his hand, turning his face up to look at his.
"Alas, it may just be the strangeness of another Ranger of the North. It has been long since I last saw my kin."
Macar dropped Ahlara's head and turned to gaze into the fires. After thinking for a while he spoke without removing his gaze.
" 'From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.' Yet too long has it been since our people of the North had a true leader. Our line is fading. We need to keep it strong. Bah, what could you know of this business? I saw my father killed at the hands of orcs, the Dunedain's aren't as strong as they once were."
Macar turned and left, after he had gone some distance he looked down, suprised to see Hithan loping to catch up, while chomping on something. With suprise, it dawned on him that Hithan hadn't growled during their encounter. Macar still couldn't return to camp, not yet. He kept walking, out into the woods, his mind was too busy to allow sleep.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2006 05:57
Ahlara shifted quite uncomfortably as she felt eyes on her, and suddenly became very paranoid about her appearance. She carefully pulled her cloak tighter around her, and suddenly felt warm hands on her chin, observing her face.

"There is something different about you," Macar said.

His hands seemed rough and worn, more so in more areas where the hilt of a sword would rest. Ahlara quickly moved her head away from Macar's face as his eyes fell and gazed into the fire. Ahlara's face grew quite hot as she grew ever more worried that at one point, she was going to be found out.

" 'From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.' Yet too long has it been since our people of the North had a true leader. Our line is fading. We need to keep it strong. Bah, what could you know of this business? I saw my father killed at the hands of orcs, the Dunedain's aren't as strong as they once were."

"I dreamt once," Ahlara said, staring down at her hands. "Of the lands of Arnor and its once grand city of Fornost. I saw its walls of pure white, and its gates golden. The trees would sway quietly in the breeze, and our people were abundant and peaceful-"

Ahlara paused and her face became cloudy.

"-Then my dream changed into the frightened screams of people being slaughtered by the Witch King and his evil. The men would stand and fight, and any women who could, would take a sword into her hand and fight. It was this part of my dream where I realized that our peoples strength does not lie in how well they fight or how strong they present themselves...it is in our characters and hearts that true strength shows among passion, courage, love and compassion.

Our line does grow weaker...and I long for Arnor to be once rich with our people again. But some lines are meant to end...but! I believe for the Dunadain, we are to hold onto our blood by its very last string, and rebuild over time our cities and people anew. Have faith."

Ahlara finished, and smiled slightly. She put her pipe back into her belt, and watched as Macar walked away. His wolf bit into the meat, without once growling at Ahlara which made her feel more at ease.

Once Ahlara thought she was sure that Macar could not see her, she quickly removed her hood and tied her hair back with a piece of string from her pocket and lay down with her cloak over her. She looked up to see if Macar had returned to the camp, but he was stood still for a moment and Ahlara was not certain where he was looking...then he continued walking into the woods.

Ahlara lay silently, listening to the world around her, and staring at the stars glittering in the sky above her. A soft wind was brewing from the south, and clouds followed.

It was not till later that Ahlara was laying quite peaceful. Her delicate hands were carefully tracing the carvings on the hilt of her sword, which in pictures showed the land of Arnor and the once great city of Fornost.

[Edited on 15/7/2006 by Ahlara]
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2006 08:02
Macar wandered aimlessly for a while, almost in a trance. Suddenly he looked up ahead and saw several yellow eyes staring at him and Hithan. He knew they couldn't be wolves because Hithan would have gone out to play with them. There could be only one other explanation.
"Orcs!" Macar whispered as he came running back into camp. "Form defensive position!" He wanted everyone alert but he didn't want to alert the orcs that they knew they were coming. The men all got their weapons ready and formed a defensive line around their tents. As silently as he had entered the camp he left, with Hithan at his side, seeming no more than a shadow as they made their way toward where Ahlara was last. Macar kicked his leg as gently as he could as he ran past to get on the other side of the fire. He left his sword Aman Megil in its scabbard and instead pulled his bow from his back. Quietly as he could he climbed a tree.
"Ahlara, climb a tree, quick as you can. We will let some pass, hit the few that follow with arrows and then jump down into the middle of them." Macar looked to the tree next to him and was barely able to make out Hithan. Good. He thought. They won't see us coming.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2006 05:45
Raniean followed Macar silently in the trees, stringing his bow as he leapt from branch to branch as nimbly as the squirrels of his homeland. Listening hard, he pinpointed exactly where the orcs were and decided in a split second where he needed to be to cover the entrance the best.

Settling on a branch in his chosen tree, he took out an arrow and set it to the string. The orcs would be there within two minutes or so, possibly a bit less. His bow creaked quietly as he pulled it back experimentally; he nodded. He was ready. Let them come.

As if in answer to his challenge, he heard the orcs coming closer rapidly. There was no mistaking their sound; no other creature made such a crashing through the foliage. The Mirkwood captain cringed in silent sympathy for the green life that died under the hard iron boots, but he remained ready. Soon enough, the first orcs came into view, and Raniean drew his string back. He obeyed his leader's instructions, however, and allowed the first few to pass by underneath before loosing his arrow. An orc fell dead; he heard it crash and gurgle its death rattle. Quick as lightning, he strung another arrow and loosed it.

[Edited on 17/7/2006 by Vanalosswen]
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 01:05
Ahlara awoke with a start as she heard footsteps all around her. She could not see where they were, but she knew whom they belonged to. The lighter sounding footsteps were humans, elf's, and rangers...but the deep ones that were followed by grunts and groans belonged to that of orcs. To back up these sounds, there was a strange feeling in the air, and Ahlara could feel tingling of anticipation creeping up onto her skin and into her bones.

Before her, Macar stood with his bow in hand.

"Ahlara, climb a tree, quick as you can. We will let some pass, hit the few that follow with arrows and then jump down into the middle of them," he said.

Ahlara quickly threw her coat on her and stomped out the fire as Macar put down his sword and instead strung his bow. Ahlara jumped from the boulder silently and went towards a tree. As she looked to her left, she saw an elf also climbing a tree with his bow as well.

Ahlara sat carefully on a branch from which she had a clear view below and before her. The night was still dark, and all Ahlara could hear was the trampling of orcs coming ever closer to the trees. Ahlara closed her eyes, and breathed deeply. She pictured the land before her as how she remembered it to be in daylight. The orcs would surely retreat into the woods in fear of being caught by anything...so why were there only three who were perched in trees waiting for them? Ahlara heard a few orcs run into the defence at the camp, and the rest came this way.

The first few orcs ran past into the depth of the woods, and the elf beside Ahlara released an arrow and it struck an orc. Ahlara opened her eyes, an arrow already in her bow, and released it. One orc fell, gasping and clutching its chest where Ahlara's arrow lay. More orcs came, and Ahlara struck four more. The rest were handeled carefully by Macar and the elf.

There were less footsteps now, but still enough. Ahlara quietly moved out on her branch, carefully fastening her bow onto her back. She then moved and swung her legs very quietly so that she was hanging upside down. Her hood fell from her face, and she did not feel the piece of string lightly fall from her hair as the orcs swept past. Carefully, Ahlara raised one arm and pulled her sword gently out of its sheath into both of her hands. She then listened silently for an orc that drew close to her. Her sword was then raised and swung, meeting the orc and removed its head nicely. She decapitated one more, until she felt the blood rush to her head, so she sheathed her sword and swung back up onto the brance.

She then jumped into the middle of the orcs as Macar had said earlier and took her sword into her hands, her hair flowing behind her.
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 03:50
Macar jumped down from his branch with Hithan right beside him. He knew they had killed at least 15 orcs with arrows and now it was time to send them running. He drew Aman Megil with a single sweep of his arm. He then sliced through the first orc, following it up with a pivot to drop the next orc in line. Hithan buried one orc after another, using his claws and jaw to break the flesh and bones. He looked up in the trees to see Raniean covering with arrows. Good. He thought. Some good arrow coverage will do some good. Macar knew the elven archers skills well enough to not fear that any arrows would go awry. He allowed himself a quick glance as he cut down another orc over to Ahlara and he nearly froze in place. Ahlara, a woman, how is this possible? Macar knew that this would have to be finished later, they had bigger problems. He kept fighting but 4 of them couldn't stop them all.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 11:30
Ahlara raised her sword as an orc came tumbling towards her. Her sword met the orcs, and she swung, leaving the orc with no weapon, and finally stabbed it in the chest. Another came from her left, a menacing look on its face. She swung and removed its head. Ahlara turned, and came face to face with another orc, grunting and growling and sword raised. Ahlara plunged her sword into its chest.

A few more orcs were slain and Ahlara had no time to watch them bleed. As one fell, it grazed her cheek with its long, dirty fingernails. Ahlara paid no attention, for more kept coming. She had a sick feeling in her stomach that maybe, Macar's plan was not such a good one.

Ahlara still went as strong as she could, and her cheek stung quite alot. A big tall hidious orc ran towards her, its sword raised and its yellow teeth bearing in a angry snarl. It sword met hers and made her stumble backwards for a second, almost tripping over a dead orc which lay behind her. She kicked with all her might into the orc before her, and finally their swords departed and it stepped back. She quickly took advantage of the orcs motion, and shoved her sword deep into its chest and watched it fall to the ground. Beside her, an orc colapsed with an arrow in its back, but before it did, swung his sword and left a bleeding cut in Ahlara's arm.

Her eyes became clouded over with anger, and thrust her sword into the orcs head, leaving her covered in fresh sprays of blood. She then turned and fought off anything coming towards her with so much anger and passion, despite her arm hurting and her cheek stinging. Her hair fell over her eyes and stuck to her blood stained face, but she could slowly hear over all the screaming and grunting, the footsteps were wearing down. This meant the others at the camp had come to the rescue...hopefully.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 12:24
Raniean fired as fast as he could, cutting down an orc with every shot and sometimes managing to spit two on the same arrow. There was no time to mentally applaud that show of skill; there were so many orcs! He was sure he hadn't heard that many at first. There had to have been a small scout party that the three had taken on at first, and now the main group was on them.

The moment he knew would happen came: he reached back for another arrow and only grabbed empty air. Muttering a swear word, he slung his quiver off and hung his bow on a nearby branch. He drew his long sword as he leapt from the tree and landed in a battle-ready crouch.

He did not lack for opponents. Within seconds, his sword was running with orc blood and his dark hair stuck to his forehead. But he was fast enough to escape most attacks unscathed, which was fortunate; he could see that Ahlara, the woman, was hurt. It didn't seem to bother her at the moment, but he knew enough about wounds to know that it would catch up with her.

Soon, the flow lessened. Raniean kicked an orc off his blade and spun to fend off another attack. But he wasn't in any danger. The orcs seemed to sense that Ahlara was wounded and mostly aimed for her. The captain had been taught from infanthood that women were to be protected, even if they did insist that they were self-sufficient. He fought his way toward her, cutting down every enemy that dared to stand in his way. Once there, he decapitated an orc that would have struck her undefended back.
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2006 12:58
Macar was fighting bravely when he heard a scream from behind. As he turned to see what it was an orc sword hit his left arm. He spun and quickly finished that orc, while looking at his arm in disbelief. There were too many, they would be overrun. Suddenly he heard a horn blowing and knew that their salvation was at hand. Their camp had finished off the orcs that had come at them and were now rushing to their aid. It was the orcs turn to fear as the warriors cut through them with abandon.
"The battle is over." Macar announced "We must tend to the wounded now." He looked down at his arm, muttering to himself about how foolish he had been.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 05:10
Raniean killed his last opponent before exhaling in relief. Battles at night were not his favorite; it was too easy to miss the vital enemy that would kill you sooner than look at you. Kneeling on a patch of clean grass, he wiped his sword clean before sheathing it with the typical quiet ring of metal on metal. Still kneeling, he looked around at his fellow two warriors. Macar was nursing a cut on his arm, and Ahlara was still breathing hard from her rage. She also had a cut on her arm.

Letting out a breath, the elf ran back to the camp to retrieve his healing kit and returned as swiftly as the night wind. "Macar, Ahlara, come," he called quietly. It was the first time he had spoken to Ahlara since she joined the party, and only the fifth time in the entire trip that he had spoken to Macar since the beginning of the trip. After lighting the torch he had also taken from the camp, as light was needed so he could see what he was doing, he took out bandaging and the herbal disinfectant paste he had learned to make for the road. He had much to thank his healer brother for; while still only a captain and not as good in the healing arts as Arthion, he could handle most things as they came.

He indicated the grass in front of him as sitting places for the two wounded warriors as he mentally assessed his own body. He'd received a few nicks and bruises, and his right arm was tingling from a particularly strong blow he had deflected, but he was all right otherwise.

[Edited on 17/7/2006 by Vanalosswen]
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 06:31
Ahlara stood still after the last of the orcs were slain, staring down at one below her with a look of disgust on her face. Her sword shook in her hand, vibrating from every impact and shuddered up through her cut arm. It stung, but did not bother her now.

The soft wind blew on her bloodstained face, wiping Ahlara's hair from her eyes and it was then she realized her gender was exposed. At first she thought about shoving her hood up in hope that no one had realized...but it was too late, for as Ahlara stood there she felt eyes on her. She had been quite foolish to expose at such an early stage, for she knew then that the company would take her as a weak baggage. She would not mind so much, for rangers tend to travel around since old times and she was used to this.

Ahlara followed the elf as he took the wounded to the grass, with herbs and other remedies to fix broken skin. He had a wonderful, white glow around him and it made Ahlara comforted to be in the hands of such a fair creature. She sat as he tended to her wounds, occasionally biting her lip which tasted of horrid orc blood. Many others sat around the elf and there seemed to be less of the company than had started out.

After Ahlara's wounds had been tended to, she stood and avoided all eyes. She found her horse quite away from the camp, too scared to stay without his master with orcs. Luckily enough, he had found a little stream that had been untouched by orc blood, and was now quite happily grazing at its side in the dark.

"Ah, you silly thing," Ahlara said, stroking his mane. "But quite wise...I know you love your water."

Ahlara then filled up her little water sack that was strung onto her horse's saddle. She bathed her face in the water, and rinsed all the blood she could from her face and hair. Feeling quite refreshed, she led her horse back through the trees towards the camp.

The night was leaving and the sun had only just started to rise, casting a lighter shadow on every detail before Ahlara. The camp was quite busy, in preperation to start travelling again. There was a thick stentch of orc in the air, which made Ahlara feel quite sick.

She stood for awhile, and heard someone come from behind the boulder.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2006 06:42
Many were wounded. It hurt Raniean's heart when he realized just how many were gathered on the grass for his healing work. Those who were badly injured were tended to first; that was the way of the healer and the captain. Ahlara was one of the last to be tended to, and Raniean watched her out of the corners of his eyes as she walked away, her bandaged arm concealed beneath cloth.

He could feel the strangeness around her as well as the next person; these warriors were not accustomed to having women among them. And yet...and yet their Steward's wife, Éowyn, had been a horse-maiden of Rohan and rode into battle. It had been she who stood beside the king Théoden when all others were fled or dead. With that living legend, how could anyone doubt that a woman had the mettle to be a warrior, if she so chooses?

But he knew that the warrior was taught first to protect king, country, and women. It was just the way it was. So for a woman to be as good of a fighter as a man seemed an affront to the way things were.

When he was done with his healing work, it was nearly sunrise. He stared at his hands, weary in heart. But it was done. The dead were buried, the wounded were taken care of, and those few who had remained uninjured were preparing to move on with the day. He looked around, looking for Ahlara. She had vanished after he took care of her arm.

It took him a few moments to locate her, and he had to do it by what the land told him. He followed the land’s prompting to where the only horse close by was, and there he found Ahlara.

She was prepared to move on, but it didn’t look like she intended to go on with the quest. She had cleaned up from the battle, and her hair hung loose and damp down her shoulders. She turned as Raniean came around the boulder hiding her, and their eyes met briefly.

“You fought valiantly,” Raniean told her quietly. He still needed to retrieve his quiver and bow from the trees and salvage as many arrows as he could from the bodies of the dead. But enough time for that soon enough.
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2006 10:22
It was the elf, Raniean. She smiled softly, and rubbed her injured arm as he spoke.

“You fought valiantly,” he said quietly. His voice soothed Ahlara.

"Thank you," she said, looking at Raniean. She stared at him for a moment, hesitated and then she looked back towards the sunrise. "My cousin and his father used to practise every evening...they had hopes of joining the war...but both died before they reached it."

Ahlara stopped and watched the sun rise a little more in the sky, casting an ever growing light on the land before her.

"You are skilled," Ahlara said, turning to Raniean. "Next time, I will be more at ease to know that you will be fighting along side of me."

[Edited on 18/7/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2006 01:40
Raniean smiled slightly and bowed his head. "I thank you," he said mildly. "My father was a captain of Mirkwood before me, and I started training at a young age." A short chuckle escaped him. "My friend and sovereign, Prince Legolas, needed someone beside him to defend him from his own foolishness. Our friend Trelan and I were the ones."

A silence settled over them as Raniean lifted his chin slightly to watch the rising sun. "Those days are over now, I suppose," he said at last. "It is the time for the ascent of the Adain*. It will not be long before we who are rebuilding Ithilien will be bound over the Sea." A gentle sadness was in his voice; he truly loved Middle-earth and the people in it. It was why he had fought so hard for its freedom, though his fight during the War had been confined to Mirkwood; the north realm of the elves had been badly assaulted from the south. Even now, the forests were still charred. It was too hard for a Silvan elf to be there, though Raniean had stayed until Legolas returned for the last time.

He sighed and smiled. "Well. Things must be as they are. The elves had their time; it is time for the Secondborn to follow their destiny." He looked at her. "Which is part of the reason I am on this quest. Strider--" he caught himself and shook his head with a wry chuckle. "King Elessar will need to have effective communication between Minas Tirith and the outlying lands for his government to be worth anything."

If those that knew him well could see him, they would be amazed that the quiet, somewhat reclusive Captain of Mirkwood was disclosing so much to this woman he had just met. There was something about her, though...a gentleness that encouraged him to share his heart with her. "Forgive me," he said with a wry smile. "I fear I bend your ear too much with my thoughts and musings."

*Men
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 07:51
Ahlara listened to Raniean speak with interest, and it made her think. A selfish part of her missed the war because of all the excitement it brought and the dangerous lands. It put a sense into wandering Middle Earth secretivly and unnoticed. But on the other hand, the war had brung suffering and pain to many people and now that it was over, people could be at ease and not be afraid to step from their city's walls. It was this thrill that fed Ahlara, and perhaps it was one of the reasons she would have to see out this mission. She had not set foot in the north since the deaths of her uncle and her cousin...too many memories hung on most every hill, tree and rock.

"Forgive me," Raniean said with a wry smile. "I fear I bend your ear too much with my thoughts and musings."

"Do not apologize," Ahlara said, squinting her grey eyes slightly as the cold sun poured over her. There was a warmth inside Ahlara that made her feel safe and comfortable as she stood with Raniean. "I enjoy listening, for travelling so oftenly without a companion can be quite lonely. Though I warn you, I hardly speak; my ears are accustomed to sounds."

She laughed a little and moved her hair from her face. It was dry now and covered most of her upperbody like a wavy dark brown blanket. She looked back to the sun rise, and flinched as she caught her hand on the bandage that covered her arm.

"I believe that the king should rebuild Arnor and its cities," Ahlara said longingly. "The north is where us Dunedain are meant to be...in the cities of old. What of this palantir though?"

Ahlara looked up at Raniean and studied his face.

[Edited on 19/7/2006 by Ahlara]

[Edited on 20/7/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 10:33
The captain knew what the young woman meant; he had traveled often in the days before the War, and he prefered traveling with someone. There was always someone to talk to, someone to help watch during the night.

Raniean thought a moment as he gathered his thoughts. "I believe Elessar does have plans for the north," he said at last. "His hobbit friends will ask as much, I'm sure. As for the palantir...well, what of it? Is it of its history that you ask, or of how the king learned of its survival?"

He tipped his head to the side as he said, "Would you be tremendously offended if I gather my arrows while we talk? I understand we intend to leave fairly soon."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 05:58
Ahlara nodded and walked with Raniean to where the stench of orc lay in the brush. Few arrows were hers and those that were, she gathered and put them on her back along with her bow.

"I mean if the King is certain that it lays there," Ahlara said. She picked up a few of Raniean's arrows and wiped the blood off of them on her cloak. "If it does, then surely it would be buried deep in the deepest of places. I know very little of palantirs, except for what they provide."

Ahlara handed what arrows she had to Raniean. His hands felt quite cold, yet warm at the same time as they brushed Ahlara's.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2006 03:22
"Elessar is a careful king," Raniean said thoughtfully as he accepted his arrows and carried them loosely in his left hand. He needed to remember to get his quiver and bow from the tree he had been fighting from; no sense leaving them here. "And he has access to Lord Elrond's libraries, and the libraries of Eryn Lasgalen, or what documents Legolas brought with him. He may not be entirely certain, but between those documents and the knowledge given to him by the Northern Rangers," he bowed slightly to her, "he has better than a reasonable certainty."

He knelt beside a fallen orc and wrenched the killing arrow from it carefully. Despite his care, he broke the shaft. Muttering an oath, he snapped the arrowhead off and slipped it into his pouch; he'd make another arrow to replace it when he had a chance.

"I also know little of the palantiri. I have seen the stone the king got from Isengard and has turned to his purpose, but without others, a single palantir can get into much trouble. That is what happened to Saruman, Mithrandir thinks. So Elessar is being careful with his palantir."

Raniean stood under the tree he had fought from for a moment before climbing up rapidly to get his quiver and bow. His right hand, the one that had accepted the arrows from Ahlara, still felt warmer than the left one. He shook his head at his own foolishness; elves never felt cold or hot in their hands. Useful; they could shoot without their hands becoming slippery with sweat.

Strapping his quiver on as he walked a branch with his inherent agility, he kept a good grip on his bow as he dropped back to the ground. "What do you know of the palantiri? Beyond the fact that one can see far with them, that is."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 06:23
Ahlara watched as Raniean climbed the tree where his bow and arrow lay. He came back down and asked her what she knew of the palantir. She waited a moment and shifted in her stance.

"I do not know much," she finally said. "But I do know that palantir are good sources to communicate. Therefore it is wise for the King to go looking for it...even though it is said to be lost."

Ahlara took a sip from her water sack and turned to see if her horse was still there. He was grazing a down the edge of the forest. There were voices from the camp, ordering people to pack their things and start their journey once more.

"How does the King expect this company to find it if it is lost?" Ahlara asked. "Surely there is many places it could be. Perhaps it is lost within the land, in mountains, or perhaps it is waiting to be found in an open place. Surely the King must have a clear vision to where it is, otherwise he would not send the company on such a long journey if he did not know."

Ahlara stopped and looked towards the camp; most had started walking off to commence the journey.

"Perhaps we should leave now you have your bow and arrows," Ahlara said, smiling a little.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2006 03:01
Raniean nodded as he unstrung his bow and coiled the string around his hand. "Aye," he agreed, starting for the camp. When he reached the place where his bedroll was, he picked up his pack and slung it into place on his back.

Once the company were on the way again, Raniean picked up the thread of conversation again. "As I understand it," he said quietly, "Elessar saw something in the palantir he possesses that confirms what he had already suspected: the location of the palantir. Everyone who knows much about them knows the general area of the missing palantiri, but as you observe, they could be anywhere, and the king could not spare anyone for an uncertainty. Perhaps he saw a map with a mark on it. Perhaps he saw a specific place. Perhaps he heard a voice that told him where to look. I really don't know. Our leader may know for cert."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 10:44
Ahlara clicked her tongue three times and her horse came trotting to her, his dark mane gently swaying. He trotted a little behind her occasionally grunting and stopping to graze, but Ahlara tugged on his reins and he began moving again.
Raniean walked to the now less busy camp, Ahlara a little behind, and picked up his pack. They were now ready to depart along with the others. Ahlara stayed a little behind the rest of the company, listening carefully to Raniean as they walked on.

"Then I am not certain that I have faith in this mission,'' she said as Raniean finished. "I only wish to see the north again. I am too cowardly to go alone for my mind has tricked me into believing there are evil things that dwell there now. But really, they are my own tragic memories..."

Ahlara trailed off and looked at the floor, her head spinning as she put one foot in front of the other. She was indeed to firghtened to go to the north and she was still uncertain if she should go.

"But perhaps if I gradually get nearer and nearer to where my heart lies-" she said; though she said it as if she were talking to herself.

"-then I can overcome my doubts and fears and return once again, to where I belong and miss the most."

Ahlara looked up at the many backs of men, elves and rangers and finally shook her head. Her hair fell gently back and forth and finally fell as she sighed. Her eyes were clouded slightly, and her face was flustered.

"Tell me Raniean," she said as her lips curled into a little smile. "What of your past?"

[Edited on 31/7/2006 by Ahlara]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2006 02:04
Raniean let out a breath as he tugged absently on one of his braids. Those who knew him knew that he only tugged on his hair when he was considering something painful. "My past?" he asked at last. "It's a long one, full of pain and joys. I lost my parents shortly after becoming a full-fledged captain, and gained an adopted family a thousand years later." He smiled slightly.

The rising sun was accompanied by a gentle wind that toyed with Raniean's hair. He turned his face toward the wind and inhaled, letting the breeze set his heart at peace. "But my most recent past is one of triumph," he continued when he was centered again. "Greenwood is no longer my home, but I have a home in Ithilien with my sovereign, and work to do down there. And this mission allows me to see more of the land, which I have been unable to do in some time."

He watched Ahlara for a moment. He could sense her fear; it would be very hard to miss, actually. "At least you have the strength to start this mission," he told her quietly. "Since leaving Greenwood, I have not had the courage to set foot back in those halls. There are too many memories, good and bad, and the woods are still recovering from the assaults launched against them during the War."
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 01:40
Ahlara waited for Raniean to speak. He tugged on his hair braids and a strange expression poured over his face. Ahlara thought that maybe this subject wasn't a good one to discuss, but as soon as Ahlara was about to change the subject, Raniean spoke.

"My past?" he asked. "It's a long one, full of pain and joys. I lost my parents shortly after becoming a full-fledged captain, and gained an adopted family a thousand years later."

He finished with a slight smile, but Ahlara was convinced that it was nothing short of sad. Ahlara understood Raniean's sorrow as her family had also been lost and had not known her parents at all. But she kept to herself on this, and looked to the ground as her arm suddenly began to sting.

Ahlara listened and watched Raniean as he finished speaking of his recent past. She had grown a fondness towards him, which made her feel safe, and yet she did not know why. Perhaps it was because of the lonliness she had encountered after years of wandering over mountains and through forests. Her only friend had been her horse, Aki, and yet horses to not speak in comfort, nor do they understand human emotions. Raniean was growing on her already.

The next words Raniean spoke, made Ahlara feel quite sad yet quite happy as well, for it made her realize that she was not alone in her fears and doubts.

"At least you have the strength to start this mission," he told her quietly. "Since leaving Greenwood, I have not had the courage to set foot back in those halls. There are too many memories, good and bad, and the woods are still recovering from the assaults launched against them during the War."

She smiled quite weakly, and her eyes were quite sad. Yet it was not sympathy she felt, it was more relation and understanding.

"I do not think," Ahlara said, looking to the floor again. "That I am not looking forward to reaching the north." She paused a moment and looked up at Raniean with a small warming smile on her face. She studied him for a moment and then continued.

"I do not even think I can pass over the boarders, let alone reach closer and closer to the capital. But I could possibly overcome all of my fears; so then perhaps if an emotional woman can do it, then surely a seemingly brave elf can."

She looked at him, studying his eyes as Ahlara's hair flew wildly around her as the wind grew stronger. A slight chill ran down her spine, she shivered and broke the gaze that had been held too long.

Ahlara's horse grunted a few paces behind her, and bent his head down to graze in a green patch of weeds.

"Aki," she whispered harshly over the wind. She tugged on his reins and he bagan to trot on again, grunting in annoyance occasionally.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 11:18
"A seemingly brave elf..." The words echoed in Raniean's mind. But he wasn't brave, not really. Oh, he was in battle, but that took very little effort to gain. But when it came to dealing with his emotions? In some ways, he was as weak as a child, though he never admitted that to anyone. The only one who knew was his heart-twin, Arthion.

But...maybe it would be safe to tell Ahlara. She seemed to have no fear of telling him where she was afraid and weak. Aye, but she was also a woman; people expected that of women.

The silence was broken by Ahlara muttering her horse's name in annoyance, and Raniean made up his mind. "I trust you will," he said quietly. "There a strength I sense in you that outmatches my own." He didn't look at her; it was easier to talk if he believed he was talking to himself. "You must understand one thing about elves: we're eternally old, but also eternally young. In some ways, I'm no more developed than a child. Warriors are not encouraged to develop their emotions, so we don't learn how to deal with them. It nearly killed me to go back to Greenwood last time." Now he did look at her. "I think I will be watching you, Ahlara, so I can see how to overcome my fears. Because if you can, I believe I can at least try."

[Edited on 5/8/2006 by Vanalosswen]
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2006 05:42
Ahlara looked up at Raniean as he finished speaking. She felt great respect towards him and a strange feeling came over her. It had been long since Ahlara could relate and share her thoughts with someone. Usually she would have not said a word to anyone about anything that involved her past, but Raniean made her feel like trusting and understanding what scared her the most.

Ahlara hesitated for a moment, watching Raniean as they continued to walk. He would not look at her, but she kept a fixed gaze on him. Ahlara suddenly stopped walking, her horse head butting her back and then finally started to graze. Her face was sympathetic, yet serious and warm. She placed a firm hand on Raniean's shoulder yet he was still looking to the floor, avoiding having to look at Ahlara. She waited until he looked at her.

"In the truest parts of our hearts, everybody is afraid," Ahlara said, looking into Raniean's eyes. "We all fight so hard to hide our fear and emotions that we're scare ourselves. I am not strong at all. I'd love to believe I can reach the north without turning back and fleeing from it as fast as my horse may carry me. But for once, I want not to be scared."

Ahlara stopped and frowned at the floor.

"Maybe you dont have to go to Greenwood alone," she said, looking back up at Raniean. "I would gladly go with you. If I do not reach the north, then we shall live in fear of the places we love the most."
tawar_meldis
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2006 02:29
(thanks for the ok. I hope this works to get my chari in. Once the thread in on rohan I may be able to add one more.)

Bain had been traveling late into the night last night. She rested with her horse on gaurd duty so to speak.

Now is was shortly after dawn and she mounted after a small bit of food. She had been told by someone with great forsight that she trusted that her presence was needed with a group of humans that would be heading to the north. She liked wandering after the battle to put a real king on the throne of gondor, she was willing to help again.

As an elf with much fighting and much healing experience it seamed logical that one or both of her skills would be needed by the group.

She spoke to her mare. She rode in the elvish fashion and had never put a bridal or even tack on an animal. True this time she had ben urged to do so. An almost full human group would not under stand how she controled the animal without it but she was stubborn about these things and others. There was no other was for a female to be in the lorien gaurd.

Now she stopped and sat there looking around and see saw a group of humans coming in her direction. she spoke soothingly to the mare.

Soon they were close enough to know that they were from gondor and they seamed to have a course laid out for them.

She waited paiently for them to get with in speaking distance.

She know her worroir braids, if anyone was there who understood them was there might confuse them but she could not pretend to be less then she was.

When the group was within hailing distance she called out. "I wish to speak to your leader."

She then dismounted and came forward a few more steps and waited.

[Edited on 7/8/2006 by tawar_meldis]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2006 12:58
The offer was unbelievably kind, and it caught Raniean's breath away. He met her eyes in astonishment. "You do not have to do that," he said. "It's not as dark as it once was, but Greenwood is still an unfriendly place."

He looked at the ground again as he wrestled with his thoughts. "But I would welcome the company," he added quietly. "Let us wait until this mission is complete; we can speak more then."

Ahlara might have responded, but Raniean's sharp ears picked up the sound of a horse approaching. He turned sharply, squinting a little to bring the approaching figure into focus. When he could see her, his eyebrows furrowed. "What in Arda...?" he murmured, his hand resting lightly on the hilt of his sword.

When she called to them, Raniean shook his head slightly. A female elf, dressed in the colors of the Lorien border guard, with warrior braids in her hair. That was a sight he had never seen before.

"Mae govannen," he said, taking a few steps toward her. "Im Raniean Randomirion o Mirkwood. Man eneth lín?"*

*Well met. I am Raniean Randomirion of Mirkwood. What is your name?
Ahlara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2006 09:57
Ahlara smiled quite warmly as Raniean finished speaking; yet she did not have time to reply, for at that moment horse hooves pounded the ground. Upon this horse's back sat an Elven lady and she quickly dismounted and demanded to see the company's leader.

Raniean took a few steps towards the lady and spoke in elven tongue. Ahlara could only picked a few words up, and was far more concerned with a slight chill she picked up on the wind. Frowning, she slipped through the people in front and departed the crowd to the left where many hills were lined. The sun was at mid-point, and there were clouds following the wind, occasionally blocking the sun-rays.

Ahlara mounted Aki whom was trotting behind her, and then kicked her heels into his sides and they rode towards the hill. She heard thunder in the distance, but did not stop until she was on top of the hill.

Ahlara's eyes focused on the land before her, adjusting to the details, but the land was barran. She did not know why she felt drawn to look over the hill, nor did she know why she had a sick feeling in her stomach. It felt as though she was being eaten alive, and she could not stop it. There was still a chill in the wind and her head was spinning as though she were tumbling head over heels down the side of a cliff.

Dazed and confused, Ahlara shook her head and tugged on Aki's reins. He turned and trotted slowly down the side of the hill. More thunder rolled in the background, and rain seemed promising. Ahlara dismounted her horse as she proceeded her place at the back of everybody else. Many turned to look at her, as though expecting an explaination of her sudden departure.

She did not speak, nor look at anybody, and instead pulled her hood over her face - waiting for the rain. The sun had finally given up gleaming and allowed the clouds to rise above and cover the last rays.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email