Register

Author Topic:
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
Post OOC: A Shallow Grave
on: October 16, 2006 12:21
Thread: here

I can't help having a sick mind! Erethien is on the run from Mirkwood and Halhigil is also in awkward circumstances, being absent without leave, when they discover a dead body in the Gladden Fields, which has clearly been murdered relatively recently. Whodunnit?

I'm thinking that they could possibly meet someone at one of the settlements when they try to investigate - or indeed, someone thinking they're looters could also be fun! This could go in any number of directions, from a fairly local thing to a huge conspiracy or operation - all ideas very welcome!

I'm looking for decent, detailed posts - no one-liners, please, and keeping characters and dialogue realistic would be much appreciated. It's no fun if someone just turns up and knows everything/can do everything.

Post here/PM me if you'd like to join! I may be morbid, but I don't bite. Bring your suggestions! I am looking for long, detailed posts and rounded characters - let's make this a decent one!

- Nel

My characters: here

(Sorry for length... my bios tend to get a bit involved!)

BRIEF CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS (just so nobody commits any howlers regarding appearance. Just stick a line or two in the OOC and I'll put it here for quick, convenient reference. )

Halhigil: 6'4", lean, black hair, grey eyes. Quite good-looking for his kind, but generally looks faintly as if he could do with a square meal. Quiet as a rule.

Erethien: 6'7", strong, and has 'Do not mess with me' written all over her. Straight brown hair, blue-grey eyes, very sharp, strong features. Vicious temper and a quick tongue.

[Edited on 18/10/2006 by nelenata]

[Edited on 6/11/2006 by nelenata]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: OOC: A Shallow Grave
on: October 16, 2006 01:05
Ooh, a mystery! ^^ It sounds really interesting. Perhaps a huge conspiracy, rippling out to some cover-up in one of the villages around the outskirts of Mirkwood and/or Erebor where some nutter is plotting the overthrow and general downfall of... something. >< Maybe someone big plotting a big thing was recruiting cronies from one of the little hamlets (all the better if they're village idiots/ so secluded they don't know what's going on out there) and someone particularly sharp found out, so they - whoever "they" are - killed him.

Ehehh sorry got carried away. ^^ The essential question is, "Can I join?"

I was thinking perhaps if you'd let me, I could enter as someone related to/ someone who knew the... unfortunately deceased, and could identify him, and perhaps knows just a little more about the issue, except what he/she knows is limited to the suspicious little details, like the "I knew something was wrong with him but he wouldn't tell me a thing" sort.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 04:47
Sounds great, Sirithros! That'd be a great way to do it - would love you to join in! How do you want to play it - do you want to come across them, or should they come up to the settlement? Halhigil is going to be desperate for some hot water to wash his hands properly, I think.

Shall we start, and add people as/if they come? By the way, multiple characters are very welcome.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 12:11
Hello, Can I join? I have two characters I'd like to join. A elf named Nethwen and a half elf named Amdireth. They are traveling from Lorien and maybe they come come across them at the swamp or something. Anyway just let me know....I think if its okay I'll go and post now.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2006 01:01
Uhh I think I can post once I get home from school today, but I'm still in the process of fleshing out my charrie. I was thinking perhaps the sister of the deceased, out in search of him, and led there by the stench. But if you move before I get back from school then I can just "meet" your charries at the nearest settlement lol.

Oh yes, we do need to come out with a conspiracy! ^^ Or do you already have one in mind?
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 07:59
I'm liking it, Sirithros! ElfmaidenofLorien, that's fine, but I'd prefer it if people didn't post things like "Everyone fell silent"... we might not want to listen. (Oh, and I have trouble reading things on screens when they're in large chunks... could you possibly start a new line when someone new talks? I'm sorry to be a pain, I just find it hard to read.)

You seem to be good at coming up with conspiracies, Sirithros - you're most welcome to come up with something! If anyone else has ideas, let's pool them here and see what we've got.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2006 01:09
Nelenata - check your inbox! Conspiracy probably came your way sometime last night courtesy of my friend Autumn and me. ^^ (*cough* We were bored in school)
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 02:38
Hello everyone! I've PMed Nelenata, and will be joining as a servant girl in the household of the deceased. Her name is Jorina.

Oh incidentally, Jorina and the deceased had been carrying on a bit of an affair for quite some time, until the deceased's unfortunate demise.

I'll get her profile up soon, but in the meantime, just a note: Jorina isn't a very sleazy sort of girl, and certainly wasn't out to steal anyone's husband. Let's just put it this way: Jorina's a rather quiet, timid person, which was quite a change from the other women in the deceased's life (mainly his family). Sometimes men like to feel like they're in control. (A generalization, I know, but still!)

I'll probably post when the characters get to the settlement!
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2006 03:25
Modern words like social conscience, and business trip probably weren't invented back then. A trade discussion may be the reason for the trip.

Well actually I *was* using the words "business trip" to mean a trade negotiation, but if the mods are really against it I'll go back and change the wording.

Hmm - Nel, I hope this is ok - we weren't going to reveal some info that has been discussed over PMs, but I suppose it's better to clear some things up first.

We wanted it to be sometime in the early Third Age, and Adele's family has been deposed from their original relatively high-up position in Gondor because they were framed in some political scandal (the details of that one are still being worked out), which is how they ended up in a remote little hamlet and with a huge superiority complex. Adele and her generation were born in the little village/town itself, and her brother made the same mistake his parents made of being too loud and noticeable and getting involved in politics as well as his business. And that's when the murder occurred...

I hope this is ok with the mods!

[Edited the time frame thing!]

[Edited on 24/10/2006 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2006 07:01
Can I join? I've been reading this, and I think this has the potential to become one of the 'once in a lifetime' threads. I wanted to ask if I could join as an ellon, but it's starting to look a little crowded in the immortal area...

Maybe I can be the deceased's best friend (male) who is just coming to the house to ask if there's been any word when the finders troop in?
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2006 04:55
In my recent post I made Amdireth and Nethwen split up. I think maybe Amdireth can find someone who knows something about the murder in Mirkwood...or somthing like that. Anyway give me your thoughts about this idea.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2006 05:03
Sorry for the delay, Vanalosswen! You'd be most welcome to join. The direction we're heading in, I think there'll be spaces going for more elves if you want to pick up a second character later.

Good idea, ElfmaidenofLorien... we're working it out!

(And it's looking like the Third Age now... I'll keep you posted.)
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2006 06:52
Do we want to post part of the journey, or just jump straight there? How far away is this settlement?
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 12:28
Right, we have us an outline, much of the credit for which is due to Sirithros_Lirenel. Here's hoping it's OK with the mods.

According to the Appendices, we have a window of 50 years between 1050 Third Age (when 'a shadow falls on Greenwood') and 1100 Third Age (when Dol Guldur is discovered), and this is when we're proposing to set the RP. The premise is that because of Oropher's death and the terrible losses suffered by his forces in the Last Alliance (far greater than those of the other realms), many of Thranduil's people are still deeply bitter and angry. Diplomatic relations are strained to say the least... elves have long memories, and particularly in the 'less enlightened' silvan communities on the outskirts of the Woodland Realm, there are plenty who hold a grudge against Lórien and Imladris. (Lingering prejudice against the Noldor wouldn't help matters either. )

After the shadow falls on the Greenwood and before 1100 TA, Sauron exploits the situation and begins to sow the seeds of hatred and infighting among the more isolated silvan communities in the south of the realm. (Indirectly that is, since he can no longer take a pleasant physical form.) Because of the existing bitterness and mistrust, the seeds are quick to take root, and under his influence, a small group of elves decide to take matters into their own hands and launch a highly secretive, underhand campaign against the other elven relams, beginning with Lórien. As they know there are very few elves who would go so far, no matter how resentful, they begin to recruit humans from the surrounding area to do their dirty work for them... and this is our Mirkwood link.

Comments/suggestions welcomed; this is obviously open to change if need be. Oh, and a request: it's tempting, but let's all refrain from discovering too much at once. Or there's no point, lol! If anything, Erethien almost certainly knows too much about this for her own good and will keep quiet at all costs, which won't endear her to anyone when others work it out, lol...

By the way - could you each drop me a line or two regarding your characters' physical appearances and maybe general demeanor so that I can add it to the first post in this thread? It's just for easy reference to stop anyone inadvertently getting names/looks wrong - it's easy to get confused and it's difficult to keep trawling through the Db, lol!

Wow, monster post...

- Nel
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2006 10:08
sounds good. By the way I changed my post so that Lindar merely sends Amdireth on her way. Maybe he can be a key to help find information later in the story, probably when they figure the mystery has something to do with Greenwood, of course this may change and I understand.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2006 08:52
hi! i was wondering if i could join? i was thinking i could be an exiled north-man who is suspected of the murder? he hung around being suspicious a few days before the murder and disappeared from when the murder was done till just before the body was discovered.
I'm setting up a profile for him now under the name Fordon. tell me if he isn't good.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2006 11:56
Um, where is everyone?
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2006 10:44
Well, I'm here. Sorry for delays, my life's stupidly busy. Autumn_Winds, would you be interested in picking up the character of Adele's mother? (Seeing as I already have two, lol...) Do you have a personality/reaction in mind, Sirithros?

[Edited on 6/11/2006 by nelenata]
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2006 05:04
I'm here too! Haha. And yes, okay, I'll take up the role of Adele's mother. I'm open to letting it go, though, if there's anyone who wants to take over at any time.
wordsmith
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2006 08:26
Hi, i posted earlier but no-one replied to me so im just gonna post now. if you don't really want me in this just tell me and I'll remove my post.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 06:50
A note to all

I'd like to make it clear that I am NOT attempting to pick on anyone in particular here, but I'd appreciate it if everyone who's joined/would like to join would read and abide by this note.

Please, when you post, be careful not to say that anything's been done or has happened regarding another character without the express permission of the owner of the character! And especially refrain from posting the character's actions outright. Even 'knowing' something before it's been said, displayed or declared openly isn't on unless you've got a good reason for prior knowledge. It's basic manners, not to put too fine a point on it, and some people (including myself) get very narked about it. I know it can easily seem minor when one writes it, but just a little thing can be very aggravating for someone else who wanted to do something different, lol!

Another general note - let's keep the detail high, guys. I know, I'm a description fiend, and we don't necessarily know the ins and outs of the place. But hey, there's nothing wrong with a bit of well-judged creativity where facts are lacking. I know it's time-consuming to write in a lot of description, but it makes it much more fun to read and easier for everyone else to RP around, as it were. Currently Sirithros knows best where we are since her character lives there and the village is her invention, and her posts are full of detail - if you don't know, ask her; this is currently her patch, lol. I have to.

There endeth the notes. I apologise if I sound as though I'm trying to tell people how to RP, which I'm hardly in a position to do! I just want to keep this thread fun for all of us... I'm not trying to set myself up as the uber-meanie thread tyrant, lol.

Sirithros, are you planning to talk to my characters, or shall I just commandeer a few servants and move on a bit?
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 02:32
Just to clarify on nelenata's point - I think it would be good if we all helped in fleshing out the surroundings, because a lot of minds are better than one and anyway the more detail the easier it is to envision the setting. ^^

Nelenata - Hmm I think Adele wants to talk to Halhigil and Erethien re investigations *evil grin* Is that ok, or did you have something in mind for them?
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2006 02:35
Nah, that's fine! It's not like either of them to just wander off... Halhigil because he's shy, and Erethien because she delights in making people uncomfortable by just standing there.

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 03:37
Hey all! Sirithros and Autumn here, dropping in to apologise for the delay in posting. >< *sheepish look*

We've been sort of busy the past few days; our graduation is tomorrow, but I promise I'll post after that. I just don't want to post now cos I don't have a good post in me right now... ^^
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2006 06:59
WOW! Graduation! Good for you, I totally understand.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 12:45
No problem, Sirithros! I'm stupidly busy too; hopefully I can post after the weekend, or maybe on Sunday.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2006 08:43
*prods thread* Bump, folks...

Happy Christmas, all!
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 01:42
Happy Christmas!

I EXIST.

Really!

Eheh. Sorry for the really long delay - had SO much to do this holiday... Will post ASAP, but that will probably only be next year (SORRY!!!!) because we'll be out of the country from tonight onwards. Autumn is *already* out of the country too. ><
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 04:02
My God! *faints with shock*

Nah, just kidding - don't worry, I fully understand! OK, this thread is on hiatus until the New Year. Have a great time, and I'll see you in January!

~ Nel
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2007 12:25
*clears throat noisily*

Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2007 10:34
Oh argh, I'm so sorry! School's started and things are pretty busy; I'll try to get something up ASAP though.

(It doesn't help that my computer really doesn't like me; there's something wrong with the CPU fan now or something, so things might be a little difficult. >.<)
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 02:29
No worries; I've got exams and stuff so I totally sympathise with the busyness. I was prodding Sirithros really.

*dodges flying cushions for nagging*
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2007 01:20
*sheepish*

SORRYSORRYSORRY... I promise on my computer and internet connection that I will post TONIGHT once I get my tutorials done. Ahaha I'm *such* a procrastinator; I don't know how long my "to-do" list has had "POST!!!" written on it in big red letters... >< Who knew Junior College was this busy?!!

Edit: Posted AT LAST!!! Once again a thousand apologies for the delay... ><

[Edited on 23/1/2007 by Sirithros_Lirenel]
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2007 03:03
*grins* Nice to have you back, Sirithros! Don't worry, I know the feeling!

Junior College? What's that? Out of curiosity, whereabouts on the planet are you situated?

[Edited on 23/1/2007 by nelenata]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2007 03:26
Uhh junior college (or JC as we call it) is like... the last two years of american high school. Not too sure what it corresponds to in the british system though. Autumn and I are both in Singapore, which you may or may not have heard of cos it's (IMHO) a really small country with really big ego problems. xD
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email