Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
Post RE: A Way to Freedom (scripted) Keep
on: January 10, 2003 04:02
Findley looked up at Thalin, his left eye closed and swollen his lip split and still bloodied. raising a bruised hand to his mouth he gingerly touches his lip and winces. Still he has a twinkle in his eye.

"Mountains laddie, Mountains . . ." A wistful look creeps over his face, for a moment he is silent, then when Thalin had thought he would speak no more, he began, his rich deep voice expressing the passion of his soul.

"I went to the Blue Mountains once . . . have you ever been there laddie? . . . she is georgous she is, finest granite you ever did see, tall and proud she is and oh so stubborn, not going to let you in she isn't . . . ahh but she has heart she has, firey once yes indeed, but cold as ice now she is."

"Have you ever touched Granite laddie? felt the thrill of her icy skin, rough she is cold and hard and strong. Gritty too, but oh so pretty. She has treasures within, none but those who truely love her would know what magic she holds. Quartz yes she'll show those to everyone, Bright as sparkling eyes they are wash them with tears and they twinkle in the moons light dont they . . . but within she holds a heart of gold and a soul of Mithril."

Findleys eyes were closed now, he was almost drooling as he talked, such was his passion for the mountains. He continued,

"Yes laddie she has gold and Mithril too . . . but its deep laddie deep within her and she'll not easily share it with anyone."

Findley suddenly sat up looking about him,

"Aaii what am I doing oh I am sorry lass," he turns to look at the cell wall, reaching out to carress its cold hard stone, "I am sorry , I should never talk of another in your presence now should I? What was I thinking Lass forgive me. Now gently patting the stone.

Turning to Thalin,

"Shes lovely isn't she, shes gonna yeild to me I think laddie yes indeed."

He was tired now wearied but his battered face held a wistful look as he slipped into sleep.
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: January 11, 2003 11:53
"What is that?" Eäniel asked.

"It's just a shard of metal" Artalion replied. "It got caught in my arm today while I was working. I saved it, though I don't know why."

"May I see it?" Eäniel requestd.

Artalion handed the shard of metal to her, and she as she looked at it she fingered it carefully, for the edges were sharp. The shard was a piece of the steel used for the orc's weapons- hard, black, and incredibly strong. It was small- maybe an inch lang by a quarter of an inch wide, and not really good for anything, except-

Eäniel drew in a sharp breath as a sudden thought struck her. This time it was Artalion's turn to ask, "What is it?"

Eäniel did not answer, instead moving quickly and silently to the door of their cell, lest she draw the attention of the orc-guards further down the hallway. She examined the lock on the door, her heartbeat quickening as her hopes rose. The lock was simple- orcs have no cunning for clever locks- and could be easily picked. The elves had not tried to esape that way before because they had had no tools with which to attempt such a task. Eäniel's fingers closed about the piece of steel she still held in her hand.

"Eäniel? What is it?" Artalion repeated.

The elves turn to look at her as she replies. A new fire glitters in her eyes as she speaks:

"I've found a way to get out of here"
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 12, 2003 04:09
"eaniel what is it?" Artalion said moveing to stand beside her.

"ive found a way to get out of here"

Artalion gasps and feels the strength drain from his legs, everything swims away for a moment.. this is what he has been looking for for so long. he feels a steadying hand on his arm and looks up.

eaniel is looking down at him, her face concerned but still flushed with excitement.

"come, sit down" he says, leading her away from the doors and onto a patch of ground slightly away from the rest of the elves. Artalion sees his wife looking over at him with concern, she had sensed his momentary weakness and was worried, he nodded slightly to her and she turned and went back to her task.

"are you sure eaniel, are you sure this will work...?" he asks, barely able to keep the excitement out of his voice.

"yes. its a simple lock and this steel is strong, strong enough to open a lock like that" her eyes strayed once more to the lock on the door.

Artalion nods once "this is perfect what i have been looking for, a way to escape the cells unnoticed... but we must wait, at least for a while, ready the elves for combat. for though we can escape the cells unnoticed, i doubt we shall escape angband without a fight"

eaniel nods "and for the meantime, shall i keep this?" she indicates to the strip of metal still in her hand.

"but soon. we will be ready soon, we have to be, the guards are getting more and more cruel, we cannot stay here much longer"
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 12, 2003 05:54
Findley woke the air was chilled an icy blast swept its way through the cave. Blinking a little he yawned and stretched.

Thalin was asleep and Bror seemed to be sleeping also, he was saddened by Bror for she seemed to have lost all hope, beyond reach, she was lost in her own world.

Findley turned to look at the Elves, Eladine was sleeping on the rough bed, she had the blanket over her but had allowed some to trail and on this Malathar sat.

He was not asleep, his eyes shone in the dim light, he was troubled, even Findley could feel his anxiety. He knew of his pain too, slowly he crossed the floor, sitting close to the elf. Malathar finding he was looked upon turned his broken face from Findley

"Leave me be I am no freak show." he murmered bitterly.

Findley reached out his hand and with rough finger gently traced the line of staples running down Malathar's cheek.

"We can have those away." he whispered,

To Malathar the Dwarf's voice seemed all to loud, he cringed but his eyes spoke of new hope.

Findley continued,

"You'll always have a scar of course unless you have some Elven magic to heal it but I at least can rid you of those." He poited at the rough staples then sighing let his hand slip back into his lap.

Malathar could feel the Dwarf's pain, his body battered by the assault from Grimbald. The Dwarf would never ask for help of course but perhaps he might accept it.

Findley moved away and went to stand by the cell door his hands playing along the rock close to the hinge. It was several minutes before he realised what it was he was feeling.

He smiled, a bit wonky due to the pain of the split lip, but a smile none the less.

"So my beloved . . ." he crooned " . . . you will yeild to me after all."

He continued to grope about the rock face hissing in delight at the finding of small cracks about the other hinges,

"Hahaa my beauty." he muttered

"Now we have hope."

With that he squatted down and began rummaging about in the filth. He soon found what he was looking for some bread crusts, dipping them in the water pail, the icy cold stinging the wounds on his hand, he took the now sodden pulp and squeeded it carefully in the cracks about each hinge.

Satified he settled down again, listening, he imained he could hear the water freezing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grimbald had not been seen for a few days now, he had been sent out with a raiding party to find more slaves. Easterlings were often sent with the orcs to prevent the orcs from slaying the prisoners before they were brought back.

This time they had raided a village close to the Misty Mountains, it was a small place just a few scattred farms and no defences, easy pickings for Morgoths hoard. Now they were on their way back bringing the few prisioners that had survived the attack with them.

Grimbald was not happy three men, five women and four small children were not going to please their master. The whip snaked out catching a child, it fell screaming to the ground, Grimbald brought his foot down. It cried no more its limp body left in the dirt as the group moved on.

Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2003 08:24
Morikelva's ranting has subsided, her strength still not fully returned. Unlike the elves, though, she sits with her back to the iron bars of the cell, ready for the return of Lublolo, with whom she has a score to settle.

She sits silently, listening to the whisperings of her fellow prisoners. She sees the flash of metal in Eaniel's hand and understands that the elves, too, have plans to escape. Her military mind works quickly. She could stand aloof and apart from the elves and work on her own escape, or she could work with them, increasing her chances of getting out.

Reluctantly, Morikelva stands and makes her way to Eaniel and Artalion. She begins to speak before they notice her presence.

"I see we have a common purpose". She nods down to the shard in Eaniel's hand. "The orcs and the Easterlings are all terrified of me. Use that to unlock my shackles and I will come with you as guide and protector".

She looks at the elves steadily, uncertain what their reply will be.
Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: January 13, 2003 11:24
Profile for Polgara

Race:Sindarin
Hair:long,straight brown
Eyes:light brown,leaning to gold
Weapons:sword and bow,prefers sword
Clothes:black pants,dark grey shirt and cloak,boots

History:Born and raised in the realm of Thingol,received her further education af her uncle (Anrak) after her parents died.He trained her in the uswe of both bow and sword.She served as a scout,but mostly as a protector of the realm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hidden in the shadows of some trees an elf witnesses the raiding of the village,she hears the cries of the people who try to protect their family.She saw this before and she knows only few will survive,but also that the survivers will be taken captive and would have to serve as slaves.By the time the fight is over she regrets that she did not help the villagers,for to many children died.

She watches the 12 prisoners leave with the raiders,4 of them are children and one of those kids is only a year or 4 old.Keeping an eye on the guards,she spots that the biggest of the Easterlings is not too pleased with the amount of prisoners.When he hits the smallest child with his whip she cannot control herself anymore.

Polgara leaves the shadows and starts making her way to where the little child lies,now motionless and she fears the worst.When the raiders spot her a smile comes on the face of the orcs,they always love to fight with an elf.She draws her sword and waits for them to attack her.On her way to the child she kills several Easterlings and a few Orcs.She knows she cannot win this fight,they are with too many...yet it feels good that she can try something,that she can try to get the prisoners free.

She is knocked out by one of the Orcs when she reachest the kid.Before she falls unconscious she tasts blood and hears him yell something,what it is she cannot understand for it sounds to blurry.
When she wakes up again she is bound to the other prisoners and beaten untill she gets up and starts walking.
"Angband is waiting!!!"Grimbald yells at her.There is no chance in fighting her way loose,so she starts walking.Along the way she tries to catch most of the lashes that were meant for the children.The Orcs find this so amusing that constantly try to hit them.

By the time they reach Angband her back is sore and bleeds,yet she gives no cry when she is hit again.Slowly they go forward in the complex,the humans are put in a cell together while she is taking further down.Polgara looses her sense of direction by the many turns.
At a certain moment she is roughly pushed in one of the cells,when she looks around she sees other elves.The Easterling that brought her here (Grimbald) doesn´t stay long,his eyes flash to one of the people in the cell,but she does not see who.

When he is gone Polgara slowly looks around,examining some of the elves closer she does not recognise any of the faces.She had known the chance was small to find her best friend among them.she sighs and goes to find a place in the shadows.
Suddenly a soft,kind voice asks her something:
"Who are you?"
Her golden eyes fall on the persons face,but turn away again.
"Polgara,"she softly answers.

[Edited on 14/1/2003 by Syriana]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2003 11:37
Errandirien had her back against the wall and she listened to the whispers of plans for escape. Soon she heard footsteps in the corridor outside the cell. Soon it became louder and a elf was thrown into there cell. She watched as the elf walked around like she was looking for someone but her face showed that she had not found whoever it was she was looking for and she sat down with a sigh near Errandirien. Errandirien slowly got up and sat down next to wher and asks soflty,
" Who are you?"
"Polgara." answered the elf.
"I am Errandirein, what brings you to such an evil place?"
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: January 13, 2003 03:26
Eaniel looks to Artalion before beginning to answer Morikelva, but just then, the cell door is opened and an unfamilar elf is thrown inside. Seeing that Errandirien is speaking to the new captive softly, she turns back to Morikelva.

"But soon. we will be ready soon, we have to be, the guards are getting more and more cruel, we cannot stay here much longer" She repeats.

"So Artalion spoke but a moment ago, and even now we see that he spoke truly. Morikelva, your strength and knowledge is an asset that may prove invaluable, but why would you help us? You have the cunning to escape on your own. Why would you risk your own life to help us? And..." Eaniel bites her lip before continuing, half doubting, half hoping, "Can we trust you?"

Eäniel has read lies in the faces of many easterlings before now, but there is no lie now as Morikelva replies:

"Yes, you can trust me."

Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 13, 2003 04:51
Grimbald was happy now a new Elf would please his master, she was a fiesty one too and he thought she might be the next to join the breeding project.

He eyed her closely she was trying to defend the children. Haa a new sport, he brought the whip down cruel and hard, delighting in the traces of red appearing on the Elfs exposed flesh. Yes she would make good breeding stock and maybe now that Grishnak was dead his turn would come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they reached Angband the human slaves were separated from the Elf, she was taken and thrown in with the others. Before he leaves he takes Morikelva outside and sets about her, he fears her though hed never admit it, theres a strength still in her that has as yet not been quelled he sees it as his own personal challenge to break her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later Lublolo is seen arriving outside the Elves cell, to the bars he ties the three small human children. Things look very bad the little girl amoung them is crying, begging the Elves to help, begging anyone to help.

Lublolo is almost gleeful, as he brings the whip to bear upon the children. When he tires of their cries he kills them leaving the dying childern where the Elves can see.

"They will make a good snack." His harsh laughter echoed through the cave.
Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 03:30
Polgara hears Errandirien´s question and is about to answer when Lublolo comes in sight with the three children she tried to protect on the way to Angband.Tears form in her eyes as she sees and hears the little ones crying as they are hit by the whip.She wants to get up and help them,but is stopped be Errandirien.
"He will kill you if you try to help them,don´t do it please,"she begs Polgara.

Reluctantly she sits down again and tries to shut the cries out,she couldn´t stand it anymore.In all her life she saw too many children die,yet she could not even save the three so close to her.Polgara stays seeted with closed eyes,trying to forget what is going on.She is roughly pulled back to reality when she hears Lublolo laugh:"They will make a good snack!"

As Lublolo walks away she silently approaches the children,trying to comfort them.The only thing she could do now was let them die with a smile,since most of them lost their parents the last thing she said to them was that they were going back to their parents,that they were waiting for them.

Slowly Polgara let go of the girl´s hand,she turned back to where she sat,tears still running down her face.
"I don´t think I need to explain how I ended up here,"she said turning to Errandirien.
"I tried to protect them,but I failed." she adds after a few moments.
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 03:40
As the new elf slave is thrown into the cell, Grimbald lashes his whip, grabbing Morikelva - who has her back to him - by the throat. Slowly, he reels her in and drags her out of the cell. She turns around and takes hold of the taut leather leash so as to prevent being strangled. Finally, the two stand face to face in the dank corridor. Grimbald is a shade shorter than Morikelva but stockier and in better health. She eyes him with derision and hatred, noting that the badges on his armour mark him out as a lieutenant.

"Well... this must be quite a thrill for you, lieutenant", she sneers, "to have a commander of the personal guard under your authority. It must be very difficult to find a free woman of any standing who will even look at you".

"You're of no standing at all, now, she-devil!", he growls, his fetid breath washing over his prisoner, "and I'm going to teach you to show some respect!". He grins at Morikelva but she can only laugh at his posturing.

"Yes! What a show of strength that will be, assaulting a starved and shackled woman! That's sure to impress Melkor!"

The fire in Grimbald's eyes wavers slightly. She's right, of course. There would be little achievement in beating a shackled woman... but then this is Morikelva and her strength and viciousness is know throughout all Angband. His mind becomes confused as ego and reason fight to be heard. In frustration, he thumps Morikelva hard in the stomach. He is surprised to find that her legs buckle and she falls to the floor.

"Ha!" He throws back his head in triumph. "The great Morikelva? I don't think so!".

With lightning reflexes, Morikelva kicks out with her shackled feet, the heavy iron shattering Grimbald's left kneecap. He howls out in pain and collapses onto the floor, clutching his leg. In moments, two large orcs appear, alerted by Grimbald's howling. They take hold of Morikelva - one under the arms, one by the feet - and throw her back into her cell. Then they attend to Grimbald.

He yells a profanity at Morikelva as the two orcs help him to his feet. "I'm coming back for you!" His cursing fades as the orcs carry him away.

Morikelva smiles to herself and unwinds the whip from around her throat.

"Well, well. Look what the good lieutenant left us..."

[Edited on 14/1/2003 by Mhairi]
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 04:10
Eldaline, Malathar and the dwarves had seen the new set of prisoners being brought to the cells. Her heart broke when she saw that there were chilren among them. Eldaline stood there next to Malathar as they watched them pass. She caught the eyes of one of the chidlren as they passed, and she saw sheer terror in them. Grimbald marched behind, his cruel wip still flying. As he passed he glanced over at her, then turned his attention back to the children.

As they passed out of sight, she heard Malthar sigh.
"They will not live out the day... Morgoth is cruel and this is no place for children. Girmbald is heartless and cruel. They have no patience for the young... They will be killed."

Eldaline looked up at him, tears in her eyes. A short while later the heart wrenching cries of the children was heard throughout Angband and their cries echoing down the corridors. No one spoke. Eldaline just sat there in numb silence, eyes shut tight, trying to block out the sounds in her ears and the pain in her heart. Then finally, the cries stoped and there was silence.

"Is there no end to this?" asked Malathar. "Is there no end to the torture and cruelty of Morgoth? Are we doomed to be forever enslaved, tortued, and used ? Even children have come to suffere at the hands of Morgoth. No one is safe, not elf, nor man, nor dwarf, not man, nor woman, nor child...."

Eldaline looked into his eyes and saw a passion and a fire in them she had not seen before.

"Malathar... you know as well as I do that unless we can escape from this place, this will be our future, this will be our destiny, in due time we will face the same fate as the children."

"Unless we escape..." Malathar muttered the words, more to himself than anyone else. "Unless we escape.... Eldaline, we have to escape. This is not our destiny, we were not meant to live out our lives here as slaves. We must try and escape...."

Eldaline looked at Malathar, surprise writen on her face.

"Malathar... How ? How are we going to escape ? How can anyone escape from this place ? If we were but with the others, then maybe we could have a chance, but here ? There are too few of us here... and how would we get out without their knowing ?"

Malathar looked at Eldaline then over at Findley who smiled slightly. Malathar nodded.

"Findley has an idea...."

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 06:26
Artilion is momentarily distracted from the easterlings question by the entrance of a new elf into the cell. she is a new prisoner he sees, the cloths are not yet tattered and a fiery passion is still in her eyes... good he thinks to himself, she may still be of aid to us in our escape.

before he is given a chance to reply to the easterlings request Grimbald enters the cell and begins to pull her out. Artilion watchs as she is roughly removed from the cell, his instincts cry out to help the prisoner, to try at least, but he reminds himself that she is an easterling not a fellow elf, and they must do nothing to jepordise thier chance at escape.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lainauriel joins her husband and Eaniel, they were discussing the lock pick and weather to use it to free the easterling.

"i am still not sure if she is trustworthy, easterlings have never been elf friends, she may betray us" Artilion was whispering, quietly but with passion.

"i saw no lie in her eyes" replied eaniel "did you?"

artilions gaze drifted away for a moment as he remembered carefully, "no" he finally answered "no i saw no lie, that doesnt mean she wasnt though, we know this woman worked for morgoth, she was one of his best."

"trust to your heart Artilion, it has not yet let you down" Lainauriel joined the conversation, placing her hand upon her husbands.

for a long time her husband is silent. she watchs with baited breath as he comes to his decision.

"ok, if she comes back we shall help free her from her shackles"

before she can reply, she hears voices in the corridor, a frightened wailing and the crack of a whip, she wonders who the victems are this time. they sounded young.
lainauriel watched in mounting horror as Lublolo tied the young children to the bars, her hand finds her husbands and she fails to notice as tears stream down her face.

finally Lublolo leaves, his laughter echoing down the corridor, a sound i will here forever in my dreams thinks lainauriel, she goes to go to the children but the new prisoner gets there first.

Lainauriel listens with pity as the elf tells of her fight with the orcs and her capture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the elves are shocked at this new horror, the killing of the children in front of them, any taking of a life was evil, but these childern were innocents they had not yet lived and would never now get a chance.

Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 08:25
Morikelva watches the elves gather around the lifeless forms of the children. Her eyes are dark, emotionless. She has seen this and worse many times over. It would be best, she thinks, if the elves would turn their faces away from this suffering and focus on the escape. But then, perhaps this will spur them to action.

Morikelva's only regret is that Lublolo had been too busy with the bodies to pay attention to her threats and insults. She fingers Grimbald's long whip thoughtfully and flicks it casually against the ground, where it makes a quiet tapping sound. It would not be long before more guards were sent down to punish her for crippling Grimbald. She must be careful, now that she had acquired another weapon for her escape, not to waste too much energy on fighting them. But to not fight at all... well, that was beyond her imagining, beyond every animal instinct she possessed.

She stares blankly again at the children and then another thought strikes her. The bodies were bound to the bars by rope. Strong rope. Rope for strangling. Morikelva stands and makes her way to where the elves are mourning and whispering. They part as she strides amongst them.

"Give me the metal". She addresses Eaniel as if she were a soldier. The elves look at each other, uncertain what to do.

"I will cut them down". Morikelva holds out her hand. Still the elves stare at her.

"Well then. Let us hope that Lublolo is as big a fool as he appears". She turns to the bodies of the children and studies the knots. As she had hoped, they are crude and rushed, the work of an unskilled soldier. Morikelva digs her talon-like nails into the ropes and begins to pull apart the knots. One by one, the children fall to the floor. Gathering up the rope, she gives the elves a dark look and returns to her corner, leaving them to attend to the bodies.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 09:15
Grimbald was not easily going to forget Morikelva, his knee now pinned with ugly metal stung as he moved back towards the cell, She'd pay for the pain, in the end she'd pay with her life, but first she would suffer. He brought two large orcs with him, these were troll crosses large and very powerful.

Morikelva is lifted from the cell hanging between the two mammoth orcs. He beat her, delighting in the fresh blood that trickled down her face.The Orcs were not the gentlest of creatures and she was soon bruised by their rough handling. They stopped to collect the dwarves. Findley dragged out on the end of his chain. A huge fist across his back sending him cursing to his knees only to be hauled up by the throat and dragged along to the wheel.

Each was chained to it, for Grimbald would not risk them escaping. Before he went he had one last trick to play he took from Morikelva her shoes, she would now have to tread the buning hot metal barefoot. The wheel was poorly made its surface rough and splinter ridden.

For Findley there was another lash across the back for Thalin a backhander. Grimbald left the two Orc as guard with instructions to set the lash on them every hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the Dwarf cell Grimbald took Malathar and laying his whip across his face he sneered

"Hows pretty boy then? . . . nothing to say eh? Orc got yer tongue . . .?" he started to laugh almost choking as he slavered and drooled.
"Forges." he yelled and Malathar was moved away.

Lainaurel, Maethorwen Eldaline and Errandirien were taken to the leather works, there was a huge pile of skins this time. Grimbald would watch them working today. He sought out Eldaline pressing himself against her whispering in her ear, she felt him pawing at her but she dared not complain for she knew it would be Malathar who would suffer if she did.

Would the other elves see she had no choice or would they despise her as she allowed Grimbald his little pleasures.

[Edited on 14/1/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
SadisticYoda
Danger to Mankind
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 10:18
Thalin had thought long and hard over Findley's words a few days ago. He had finnaly saw the visions of the great mountans, and halls of proud Mythril and granite. At this moment he knew that it was imperative that they excaped. Thalin knew of Findley's plan. It had not been showed directly to him, but he saw what he had done. They would excape when the night fell, and they would be joined by the elves.

Thain lied in the darkness, in great pain over his recent wounds. He began to dream about killing Lublolo to avenge himself, and all the other tortured, and killed by him. He would kill Grimbald too, and the orcs that tourture Thalin and Findley at the moment. But what he looked forward to the most was exiting the compound with his beloved axe that they stored away. It was not a weapon that could be eaisily destroyed, and probaly hidden, or mabye even being used by a horrible creature. Hope was finnaly beginning to form in Thalin's corrupted mind. He would take his axe, and cleave the scum in two! He would mutilate them, and leave them in a cell to rot! Let them feel the wrath of this dwarf! New power had formed in Thalin, power that he could no longer contain. He began to pull and shake around in his chains. He also started to roar and chant. He spoke to the confused Findley in an uplifting tone.

"Come Findley! Let us show these orcs the true power of the imprisined Dwarves!"
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 10:52
Errandirien saw Polgra try to get up and help the chlidren." No Polgra you will only be killed too, You can not help them." She said to her and she reluctantly sat down. Errandirien, Polgra, and the others watched horrified and helpless as the children were killed right in front of them. Polgra went to their side and Errandirien followed her. She heard Polgra tell them that they were going back to their parents now and everything would be alright. Errandirien lay a hand lightly on her shoulder, a few tears ran out of her grey eyes as she looked at the dead children.
Errandirien said," There was nothing you or anyone else could do. Don't be hard on yourself, It was not your fault." Errandirien stared hatedly down the halls at the gaurds, but her eyes returned to Polgra's face.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 11:13
Maethorwen watched as Grimbald pawed Eldaline in the leatherworks room. When she had first witnessed Eldaline allowing this, she had been disgusted, not knowing what to think of this elf. Now, as she saw the pain and suffering in Eldaline's eyes, Mae knew that she had no choice but to endure the touch of Grimbald, just as she had to endure the work they were forced to do.

As Mae was lost in thought, she didn't notice the guard coming to stand in front of her, until she felt his hot breath as he spoke to her.

"Got other things on your mind, dirt elf, besides the work you have to do?" he said menacingly.

Too afraid to answer, Mae looked to his hand. There, he carried not a sword or a whip, but a large mace, which looked capable of killing her with one stroke.

"Well then," he sneered, "I guess I'll have to REMIND you of your job!"

As he said this, he raised his mace at Mae and the other elves looked on in terror. As he swung the weapon down, Mae quickly ducked with what thinking and strength she had left. The mace passed over her head and struck the stone wall beside her with such force that large pieces of stone were shattered and fell to the ground.

Mae didn't dare move, thinking another blow would soon follow, as he had failed to kill her on the first try. However, the blow did not come, and all she heard was the orc's disgusting laugh. Looking up, he spoke again.

"That will teach you, you miserable slave! Keep your mind on your work, or next time, you won't be allowed to move out of the way...."

With that, the orc moved on.

Maethorwen resumed her work on the leather. Lainaurel noticed that Mae was trembling as she worked, and laid a comforting hand on Mae's when the guards weren't looking. Slightly calmed, Mae continued her work. Suddenly, a flash of light caught her eye, and she noticed it came from the shards of stone that had been splittered off the wall by the orc's mace. She saw that one of the splitters was long and the edge looked sharp.

On the pretext of grabbing another hide to work on, Mae quickly grabbed the piece of stone instinctually, hiding it under the hide she had picked up. As she carried it back to her table, the shard cut her fingers with a sharp edge. While the guards had their fun with another prisoner, Mae quickly slipped the glistening, black obsidian under her clothes, then resumed her work.

She didn't know why, and she didn't know how, but she knew it would be of use someday....
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 02:20
Eäniel bent over the mail-work again, tears stingin her eyes though drying as soon as they fell onto her cheeks, for the forge was hot and arid. Tears for the children. Tears for Eldaline. For Malathar. For Morikelva. For herself.

She recalled the words of her childhood teacher, "What has happened before will happen again, and only the children weep." "No," she murmered to herself "It will not let it happen again. We will not let it happen again. And it's not only the children who weep."

Her grief has, however, strengthened her resolve to a will of adament that now only death could break. She knew it was the same for the others. The key she kept hidden, and h er mind turned to thoughts of weapons as she worked surrunded by the warmongery of the orcs.

There can't be any good in mail for a weapon, she thought to herself. Or can there? No, not in the links themselves, but in the stuff they are made of. Picking up a strip of the thick steel wire from the hot coals where it waits to be shaped, she glances quickly around to make certain that no orcs are watching. By some blessing of the Valar, none are even in sight for the moment. Picking up a rock from the floor, she swiftly pounded the ends of the red-hot iron into points-perhaps not very sharp points, but points nonetheless. She completed two before a sudden shove from behind knocked her to the ground. Her head hit the edge of the table, knocking her unconscious for a moment. She had let her guard down for a moment- a moment too long, it seemed. When she came to again a moment later, the orc guard gave her several bitter lashes with his whip. When he had returned, he had noticed that she had not been working, and was planning to punish her for her laziness. He reached down to grab her by the arm when another orc called from the adjacent room. Looking from Eäniel to the door as if debating what to do, the orc released her arm, letting her fall to the floor, and left the room. The other orc-guard across the room shouted at her to get up and get working again.

Eäniel stood up, trembling, bleeding from the whip, and her fall, and returned to her worktable, not daring to retrieve the pointed iron sticks, which had skittered across the floor when she fell. The orcs had apparently not realized what she was working on, only that she was not working. Wiping her bleeding forehead with her sleeve, Eäniel continued her work.

Later, though Eäniel recovered her makeshift weapons, under the pretense of retrieving some mail rings she had "accidentally" knocked to the floor, and tucked them in her belt where her hair would hide them- hopefully.

[Edited on 16/1/2003 by Gilraen]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 02:09
Findley was at the back of the three in the wheel with Morikelva between him and Thalin, he soon found himself treading in her bloody foot steps, the whip reminding them to keep moving.

Petty Dwarves had never had dealings with Easterlings so did not know of their crimes, perhaps if he had known he might of felt differently, but as it was he felt sadness that this proud strong spirit should be slowly walking her feet to shreds.

"You need to save yer feet lass." his voice kept low barely above the wheels creaking and groan.

"I know it!" she snarled back "But there nothing I can do is there unless you are offering to carry me."

Findley chuckled, the thought of him trying to carry this tall imposing woman made him laugh.

"Hold yer tongue." she snapped turning to send a warning glare, catching site of the little dwarf she began to smile, so it was a silly comment after all even she could see that.

"I have an idea he hissed at her." as the whip stung his back

She heard the soud of ripping and as she glanced round found two leather sleeves thrust into her hand.

"You'll need rags to tie them on." he whispered "But wait till the wheel stops"

"Are you mad?" bellowed Thalin.

"If we stop they will thash us."

The two Troll-orcs were now alerted and sauntered over.
Findley stopped walking and despite the fear of what was going to happen the others did too.

Findley stared out at them.

"Hey Bill . . . Hey Ben . . . you want some fun?"

Morikelva and Thalin stared in amazment at the small Dwarf,

He must be mad." Thalins voice was edged with concern.

The two stood listening their slow minds taking time to register.

One nodded, sneering he moved forward raised whip in hand.

"Wait commanded Findley, "Theres better fun to be had, free me from this chain then see who is the first to beat me, no whips as I am not armed but you wont need them. Lets see which one of you is smart enough to get me."

Bill looked slowly at Ben and Ben at Bill, very slowly they nodded to each other the game was on. It was Ben that stepped froward and broke the lock. For a few moments Findley had feared they might just decide to kill him. Bens hand closed over the lock, soon Findley was standing free of the chain that had held him for so long.

One thing to know about Petty Dwarves they were small and stout but also quick, it was why they had chained him because he was so hard to catch, but these two did not know this and Findley now had the advantage. Looking over to the others still chained in the wheel he winked, then turning on his heels he sprinted round the room.

Bill, thick set and clumbersome, lumbered after him hands swinging from side to side. Ben shorter but broader waddled about trying to kick Findley as he ran past, after a little while they were both exhausted.

Nothing could prepare the two in the wheel for what Findley did next.

He stood between the two Troll-orcs and as with fists raised they both lumbered towards him he crouched down low. To reach him over their bulky bellies the two needed to bend forward. Both trying to reach him first their heads crashed together. For an age they remained stock still, then almost in slow motion they keeled over each falling to the side leaving Findley unscathed in the middle.

Findley hurried back to the wheel. Morikelva had pulled the sleeves over her feet and Thalin had used some strapping to bind them in place.

"Free us." croaked Thalin seeing an opportunity to escape.

No!" Findleys voice quiet and steady

"Not yet we are not ready"

"What!" bellowed Thalin "But the Troll-Orcs are just lying there"

Findley lifted the heavy collar and carefully replaced the broken lock binding it shut so that it appeared unbroken

"Walk!" He ordered something told them to listen to him and slowly the wheel turned.

Within moments Grimbald arrived, at first he thought the wheel had stopped but he could see this was not so. He could also see the two guards asleep on the floor. Leaving he hurried away. It was obvious that such dereliction of duty was reported to Morgoth for soon Morgoths private guard arrived to haul the two groggy Troll-Orcs away.

The three Wheel walkers spent the remainder of the day walking but they where whip free as Grimbald supervised the Troll-Orcs punnishment, a reward from Morgoth himself.

Findley smiled for now he was a little more free.
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 04:43
A great horn echoes around the furnaces and workrooms, signalling the end of the prisoners' shift. To Findley's dismay, he sees the two troll-orcs returning to duty. They had been severly beaten under the supervision of Grimbald, more so when their lieutenant had learnt they had been outsmarted by a petty dwarf.

Full of anger, they squint into the crowd of assembled prisoners, looking for Findley. Understanding their intention, Morikelva stands in front of the small dwarf, shielding him from the eyes of the guards.

"Stay close to me and among the elves", she whispers. "With luck, they won't see you".

The large group of prisoners shuffles off, weary after hours of toil and no food. Findley does as Morikelva suggests, keeping his head down. Fortunately, the troll-orcs have suffered a demotion at the hands of Grimbald, and are allowed to take the prisoners no further than the doors of the work-rooms. Findley lets out a sigh of relief as the next shift of slaves are herded in, taking up all the attention of the troll-orcs. The journey down the dank corridor to the cells continues in silence, the only sound the clanking and scraping of Morikelva's shackles against the stone floor. She is limping badly, despite Findley's gift of makeshift shoes.

Gradually, the crowd becomes smaller and smaller as groups are bullied into their individual cells. The elves and Morikelva occupy the furthest and lowest, making it also the coldest and dampest. Morikelva notes that Findley and Thalin are imprisoned together only one cell up, so that it might be possible, when the guards are absent, to involve them in escaping. Certainly, the underground skills of the dwarves would be a great asset.

Later that evening, Morikelva sits distant from the others, binding her blistered and bleeding feet with strips of cloth ripped from her shirt. She takes a tally of the weapons they have managed to secure so far. There is Grimbald's whip, tucked away in a gap in the rough stone walls and the rope she had taken from the dead children, which was stowed on the upper sill of the door, out of reach of all but the tallest guard. Morikelva knew that Eaniel was hiding a lock-pick and this was of great interest to her, for if she could unchain her ankles with it, then the heavy iron shackles would make a versatile and deadly weapon.

She watches the elves carefully. Some are resting, sleeping fitfully, others are whispering amongst themselves. Eaniel is dozing but Morikelva notices Artilion is still awake. She hobbles painfully across the room and sits beside him, leaning against the wall.

"I have been taking stock of our situation", the Easterling begins. "Our weapons are few and not particularly powerful. But see, those idiot prison guards have left us the best one of all". She nods down at her ankles. "I know you do not trust me but when the time comes, it would be beneficial to you to unshackle me".

Artilion looks at Morikelva with suspicion. "You have caused my people great suffering. Why should I trust you now?" His voice is quiet and measured but anger lurks beneath the surface.

"Because I know the upper levels of Angband better than any of you. And because I can steal wargs from their pits, allowing us to ride out of here as fast as any cavalry".

Artilion says nothing, thinking over Morikelva's plan.

"I also think we should speak with the dwarves", she says. "Their cave skills will be invaluable for the lower levels, which I know not at all. We have a better chance of staying alive and getting out of here if we work together. What do you say?"

Morikelva looks at Artilion with a glimmer of hope in her dark eyes but still the elf remains silent. She sighs in frustration.

"Look. I have no more desire to spend time in your company than you do in mine. Given the choice, I would live the rest of my life away from any of Illuvatar's children, first or second born. But I would hold the hand of a flaming Balrog if it meant walking free from this hellhole and I know you would too".

Rising painfully to her feet, Morikelva stands and limps back to her dark corner, where she lays down and tries to gather her strength for the next beating or work-shift or period of starvation, or whatever else the guards had in mind.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 05:46
*earlier in the forges*

Lainauriel looks worriedly over at Eldaline, it was the first time she had not properly seen her since she was taken from thier cell, except that one time when they saw her being put back in the dwarf cell. Lainauriel had begun to think that Eldaline was dead or worse.

Eldaline was working slowly and almost mechanically, her spirit seemed to be gone, it pained Lainauriel to see her like this. we must leave soon, she thinks to herslef, we just must, we cannot have more elves become like this.

Lainauriel suddenly had a thought, the elves were cycling up for escape, it would be soon, she knew this, and yet Eldaline didnt, she had no idea what the plan was, no idea that soon they would be free.

looking swiftly around the room, lainauriel left her seat on the pretence of working with more hides, and placed herself next to Eldaline.

"Eldaline" she whispered, watching the elf from the corner of her eye, she could not look directly for fear of drawing attention from the guards, it takes a moment for Eldaline to respond.

"yes?"

"i need to tell you of a plan..." Lainauriel filled the elf in on the plan for escape, and how far they had got with collecting weapons "we plan to do it soon, will you not join us"

Lainauriel risked a glance over to Eldaline, and was glad to spirit back in her eyes. Eldaline turns quickly to look at Lainauriel and almost smiles.

"the dwarves too have been planning to escape" Eldaline speaks quietly but fast, her eyes alert for guards, filling Lainauriel in on the dwarves plan.

before they can work out how to co-ordinate thier escapes the horn blows to signal the end of the work day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Artilion sits in silence, contemplating the words of the easterling, he is beginning to feel she would be a useful addition to their escape bid, but, he reminds himself, do not trust he too much, for she would leave you and all your kind here to rot if it served her purpose.

things were coming to a head now, earlier in the evening Lainauriel had told him of the dwaves escape plan, he was glad of this for he was loathe to leave any of the prisoners behind, and if they could get out without the help of the other elves then even better.

his mind drifted between working out a way to communicate with the dwarves and wondering about Morikelva and her purpose. looking at the easterling for the hundreth time, he once again noted the leather sleeves bound roughly around her feet.... he remembered earlier in the forges, the petty dwarf and... his thoughts trailed off as a light sprung up in his eyes. he had found a way to communicate with the dwarves, but it would mean trusting Morikelva.

he walked over and sat next to the woman, "we need to talk Morikelva, about the dwarves, i need you to get a message to them"

Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 09:30
Findley felt his courage weaken as the two Troll-orcs lumbered back into the room, The work in the wheel was slowly increasing his fitness, even the chain helped stregnthen him, but he was very tired and still too weak from the beating he had recieved to take on both of the Troll-Orcs, especially now the collar and chain was back in place.

With Morikelva's help her shackles clanking covered the sound of his chain dragging along, with her aid and the Elves hiding him he slipped out into the tunnel right under Bill and Bens noses.

From the tunnels it was an slow unpleasent trek to the cells. The food was as usual rotted mostly inedible. Tho for Eldaline there was the provission of some fresh fruit and a small slither of meat. She was forced to eat this whilst the Orcs watched, ensuring she could pass none to the others in her cell.

Findley looked at Eldaline, "You should eat more." he said his voice trying to convey that she should ask for more food.

Eladine looked hard at Findley, was he joking? . . . No his eyes said he was deadly serious.

"I want more food." pleaded Eldaline, the Orcs so use to her begrudgingly eating a little, were surprised and sloped off to ask Grimbald's advice.

Whilst they were gone Findley prepared the plan, "We will all make a grab for the food hold onto a little but make sure the most goes into the dark corners ot the cell, under bed behind rock any dark place. IF we take a beating so be it but we will have food for the escape, not much but some at least.

The others nodded and waited hopeful of the Orcs returning with a lot of food.

Grimbald on hearing of Eldalines request smiled, so she was weakening the Orcling inside her was giving her reason to eat. When the Elf Malathar saw her eating willingly he would change his mind about her, he felt sure he would shun her then.

She will look more favourably on me, the one that provided a bed and food, the one who will comfort her. He closed his eyes seeing a vision of his desire, yes he told himself she will be mine.

"Feed her." he barked to the Orcs "As much as she wants now go . . . Hurry." the whip stinging the closest orc.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 12:05
Artalion sits with Lainauriel, they sit cross legged on a dirty blanket with thier backs against the stone wall, although they appear not to be talking they are communicating in thought, as elves close to one another do.

he looks at his wife, "perhaps you can communicate to her mind"

"no we are not yet close enough for that, besides i feel she is blocking out too many things, secrets, it would be all but impossible"

artilion sighed and hung his head, Morkleva had not yet agreed to talk to the dwarves, to pass a message on, the time for escape was very close and he was loathe to leave any of the prisoners behind, he knew Lainauriel was too, which gave him even more reason to try and help the others escape too.

"do not despair my love, we still have one more day in the forges, Eldaline told me they would be ready to go soon, we shall leave together" Lainauriel gripped his hand tightly and said out loud "i have faith in you"

"i know" Artalion sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lainauriel was talking to Eaniel about the escape when the food arrived, immediately several of the elves, including Maethorwen, made a grab for the food, going to share it out among their fellow cell mates.

food, Lainauriel thought to herself, we comletely forgot about food, its a long journey we must have some provisions.

she put her hand on Maethorwens arm,

"hang on, escapse shall be very soon, and we have no provisions for the journey." turning to adress the rest of the elves she says. "we must hold back and eat as little as we can, you all remember the journey throught the cold northen wastes to get here, and that was hard enough, even with orc food, imagine trying to cross it without any provisons, for i doubt with our weapons we could catch animals"

although she could see hunger on all of thier faces, Lainauriel was glad none argued with her. she and Maethorwen divided the food into things that could be saved and things that must be eaten now.

Lainauriel looked sadly at the very small pile of food that could be saved, wondering what to do, for they could not survive the northern wastes on this, it was barely a days worth...
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 04:53
Eldaline felt hope surge in her heart as she heard that the others were also planning escape. Quickly she told Lainauriel of the dwarfs plan for escape. Her spirits felt lifted as they talked but then the harsh sound of the horn sounded and the guards came to herd them out and back to the cells. Eladline’s mind raced. They were going to escaping soon.... she knew this now. Yet those in her cell were still unarmed, save for Findley and his chain. They would have to have some form of weaponry to protect themselves or they would never get past the cell doors.

Eldaline walked towards the back of the room her arms full of the hides they had finished that day. Her back ached with the weight of the hides as she set them down on the dirty floor. Standing for a second trying to stretch out her aching back, something catches her eye. Glancing around quickly and seeing the guards busy with the other elves at the moment, she bends down and grabs it up quickly. It is a small strip of leather, as wide as her hand and about 21 inches long, one side ragged and torn. Quickly she slips the leather into the folds of her robe and hurries out towards the others.

As she does a hand reaches out and grabs her from behind. The hand is hard and cruel and latches to her arms like a vice. Fear grips her heart as she hears his deep sinister voice, whispering in her ear. It was the voice she had suffered with all that day, even now, he still had not had enough.... he had to have one more go at her.
Eldaline was turned around and brought face to face with Grimbald. His eyes burned with a deep intensity and desire and his face shown with perspiration from the heat of the forges. He reached up and gently brushed a strand of hair from her face.

“Eldaline....” he whispered her name, his voice dripping with sheer malice. Eldaline’s heart turned to ice and her stomach churned. He turned her around so she faced the rest of the elves as they were lined up and marched out towards the dark and cold cells. “You are alone now Eldaline.... Now that they know, they have rejected you have they not ? Your place is no longer with them... it is here with me.” As he spoke he pressed his lips against the fair skin of her cheek. “You belong to me, Morgoth has given you to me.... Eldaline....”

Just at that moment the group that was heading back from the forges walked by. In that group was Malathar. He walked at the head of the line, eyes distant staring into space. As they passed by, for whatever reason, his eyes wandered over and caught sight of Eldaline. Seeing her there, Grimbald, laying his dirty hands on her, her beauty and innocence being destroyed, a deep anger burned in his heart.
“Eldaline !” he cried as he struggled with the orc guards, trying to get free. “Get your hands off her you scum !”

“Well if it isn’t dear old pretty boy !” Laughed Grimbald wickedly. “Keep your tongue elf, or you’ll wish you had never been born with one !” A the group was marched away, Grimbald turned to Eldaline.

“Malathar speaks the truth” she said staring him right in the face. As she spoke a deep fear filled her heart but the words came loud and strong. “You are a scum, you and all who serve Morgoth. They have not rejected me ! They accept me still despite what you have done to me and they will accept me still now.”
Grimbald’s smile faded into a sneer of anger and he leaned close to her.

“I would not think myself so lucky... for there is still a plan for you which I am sure most of your little elf friends do not yet know of...” he looked at her and smiled wickedly. “The orc child you carry...” He laughed an evil laugh that echoed through the caverns. He grabbed her face in his hands and looked at her.

Eldaline was filled with such rage, without thinking she spit in his face. Glaring at her sheer evil in his eyes he stepped towards her raising his hand ready to strike but stopped mid way. He lowered his hand and looked at her. “You push me elf...” He stepped even closer to her and Eldaline took a step and it sent her staggering back and she fell to the floor. Staring down at her Grimbald sneered. “You may be important to Morgoth but you can still taste the pain and suffering of my hands, and suffer you shall, you and your boyfriend !” Grabbing her by the arm he pulled her up roughly and marched her down the corridors to the dwarf cell. Shoving her in roughly, she stumbled and began to fall, but Malathar was there to catch her. He held her as he glared at Grimbald.

“Awwww is pretty boy angry with me ?” Grimbald laughed wickedly as he slammed the door and walked down the corridor, his heavy footsteps echoing. A short time later the food was brought in and Eldaline was once again made to eat before the guards, thus ensuring she could not share the food with her cellmates. Findley’s plan for getting more food was a stroke of genius but she feared in her heart what they would suffer for it, for Grimbald’s temper was already on fire. She waited anxiously with the others as the orcs’ returning footsteps were heard....
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 06:37
Eaniel broke off her conversation with Lainauriel as the orc entered with food. Although her stomach ached with hunger, she had been hungry for years, and was used to it, and she heeded Lainauriel's plead that they save as much food as they could for teh hard journey ahead.

"There has to be some other way to get food, though" She thought."It is no good escaping if we all starve to death."

But is it? another thought answered hers. Wouldn't it be better to die free than live a slave?

"Yes." her own thought replies. "But I will not give up hope of life, wherever my road leads me."

Thinking about food, her mind wandered back to the day when Morikelva had joined them, and she remembered the slight softening in her since she had given her bread. Her thought strayed on until she recalled that Morikelva had not yet responded to Artalion's request to carry a message to the dwarves. Maybe she could convince her to do it, that they needed her, that they all needed her help, to escape. She turned to Artalion, who had tried to talk to Morikelva before.

"Artalion?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you think I should try to talk to Morikelva?"

"She hasn't answered me yet, but it can't hurt, and it can only help. Maybe you will be able to talk her into helping us."

"All right, I'll try."

"That's all we can do now. Try."

Eaniel nodded and walked over to where Morikelva was sitting, hunched over with her back against the stone. Eaniel sat beside her.

"Morikelva?"

There was no reply, but Eaniel decided to keep talking anyway.

"Morikelva, will you help us escape? You said yourself that you could be a great help and guide to us. Will you act on your words?

At this, Morikelva did reply.

"My kind has killed many Elves. Your kind has killed many easterlings. Why do you want my help? Why would you trust me?

"You keep saying that. I know the harm that our peoples have done to one another. But that doesn't matter right now. If we are willing to forgive you, why can't you forgive us? You asked for our trust. I gave you mine. Why do I trust you? I don't know. But something in my heart tells me that your path and ours are woven together. Why do we ask do your help? Because we need it. Will you not help us? Please, will you carry a message to the dwarves?"

[Edited on 18/1/2003 by Gilraen]
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 01:43
Errandirien sat with her back against the wall, sitting next to Polgra. She watched as the orc gaurd came in with the food. She did not go and take the food but intead focused her mind on something else to ease the hunger. Her mind came to her freedom. Her stomach was eased at knowing the food was for the journey though she was not told to her in person.
Errandirien watched the other elves. Some were talking amongst themselves or sleeping. She watched Eaniel go over to Morikelva. She seemed to be asking her something. Errandirien's elven ears picked the end of her conversation. She laid her head back against the wall.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 02:56
Maethorwen looked at the pile of food she and Lainauriel had made for their journey. Each looked at the other with an understanding in their eyes, each knowing that the food would not last them long outside of their prison. Her stomach gave a small lurch, longing to devour what was in front of her, but she held back, knowing somehow that freedom was more important, and survival outside of these walls depended on that fact.

Desperate for something to take her mind off the hunger, Mae sat in her corner and leaned her head back against the wall. A short while later, she was asleep....

Mae felt a warm breeze blow across her face as she climbed up the rock face. She closed her eyes and let the wind blow through her hair. They had arrived at last.

Opening her eyes, Mae looked down upon Beleriand for the first time, trying to take in it's beauty all at once. There were forests and mountains, an abundance of rivers. She had never seen a land so beautiful. And she was free to live in it....

That was the greatest feeling she had ever known, seeing her new land, knowing she could run freely within it's borders...It had been a long journey from the Vale of the Anduin, but now, the journey mattered not. She was free...

Maethorwen awoke with a start, the visions of Beleriand fresh in her mind. At that moment she knew, she had to escape, and there was no turning back.

"This is just another journey back to Beleriand," she said to herself, "and if I should die trying to get back there, then at least I die a free being..."
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 07:43
The food came, for the slaves it looked a feast. Eldaline cried when she saw it, it was better than she dared hope for. The orcs piled it onto the bed.

At a signal from Findley the two dwarves and Malathar dived upon it, even Eldaline managed to push some into a dark recess, the whip stung Findleys back but he was fey and took no notice, things would have gotten far worse but for Grimbalds intervention. Fearing Eldaine would be killed in the beating he stepped in taking the orc by the throat

"Fools" he yelled his face dark with malice

"She should be fed outside the cells." he threw the orc roughly aside, kicking the other from the cell.

Grabbing Eldaline he sneered

"If this was a ploy to feed them my pretty you made a big mistake, from now on you'll eat with me in my room." his hands gripped her.

"Understand?"

"I understand." she whispered to Grimbald, satisfied her released her and stalked out raining blows at the two Orcs he drove before him.

Eldaline knew they must escape before tomorrow's meal, she knew what lay in store for her and she died inwardly at the thought. tears rolled down her cheek.

Findley broke her thought, gently patting her hand, Eldaline greatful for his kindness, turned to look upon the small form, she marvelled, he was course and wild and yet gentle at need.

"Dont cry." he whispered

"It will happen . . . come and see." He took her to the wall beside the door, there on the floor a pile of small stone chips lay. The freezing water had worked its magic, slowly over the cold nights it had worn the cracked rock and now, now the hinges were loose,

"We can get out!" Findley whispered,

"Once the others are ready . . . we go"

That night Findley slipped his collar off and using it bussied himself, he fashioned a staff frpm the side of the bed and a wooden club from a leg. When he finished he put the collar back on carefully refitting the broken lock.

These along with the food and his chain meant they were ready, all except Bror. Findley looked across with sadness at the she Dwarf.

She had plaited her beard in preparation for death, she was not eating and had not dunk for the last few days all talk had ceased, she was dying. Hiis pleas, his encouragement all had fallen unheeded. It was too late madness had taken her and she was already lost.

He got a little sleep, in the morning it was Lublolo that took them to their work. For Eldaline it was a relief for she knew what awaited her when Grimbald returned.

Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 02:50
Morikelva looks up at Eaniel, the hopeful spark alight in her dark eyes again.

"I will speak with the dwarves when we are next put to work together. Something tells me they have been making their own plans. I doubt they are content to sit and rot away. We should let them know our inventory of tools and weapons and what food supplies we have".

The Easterling warrior's eyes narrow with mistrust.

"You realise that, to bring me along, you will need to unshackle me? There is not much trust between the elves and the Easterlings but on this occasion you must believe that I will neither run from you nor hurt you. My sole purpose is to escape this rat hole and disappear into the forests. It will be an easier task with the underground skills of the dwarves and the sharp senses of your people. For my part, as I said to your friend over there, I know the upper levels well and should be able to steal and harness a few wargs to speed our escape. Be warned, though. Few have ever escaped from Angband and never a great group like this. The guards on the upper levels are not sluggards like the imbeciles who watch us here and, should we escape them, there are countless other ways in which Morgoth may seek us out as we run south. He will be angry indeed if even one of us escapes alive".

Morikelva frowns, wondering if the elves fully understand the task ahead of them.

"It is likely", she says, "that most of us, perhaps all of us, will die in the trying".

Eaniel looks steadily at her fellow prisoner. "You forget, perhaps, that imprisonment for an elf lasts for all eternity. What other choice do we have?"

Morikelva nods, acknowledging Eaniel's grim determination. "It is settled then".

That night, the prisoners sleep very little, their minds full of preparations and fears. It is Lublolo who rouses them, clattering a great iron rod against bars of their cells and laughing at the racket it makes.

"Up! Get up!" He rattles the bars again. "Time to work".

The prisoners are shepherded by Lublolo and another large orc into the furnaces and workrooms. Again, Morikelva is put to work with the dwarves. Grimbald is nowhere to be seen and the fear is palpably less.

As Morikelva pushes against the great wheel, she lowers her head more than is necessary, so that her matted hair covers her face.

"It would be a fine thing indeed to escape this hellhole", she whispers, fearing to be any more blunt until she had established the dwarves' intentions.

"Aye, lass, that it would", replies Findley. "If only the gates to our cells were a little looser in their hinges". Briefly, he looks up at Morikelva and gives her a knowing wink. Despite herself, she smiles at the dwarf's ever-breezy manner.

"Yes", she replies. "And if only we had some weapons. Something heavy, to smash through armour. Like, oh, I don't know... these shackles".

"For them you'd need a lock-pick, lass".

"That we would, that we would. And perhaps a whip and some rope, for strangling and binding. That would be useful".

"Aye. And a club, perhaps, for knocking out what little brains the orcs have".

By now, Morikelva has forgotten the pain of all her injuries and the constant gnawing in her stomach. Her mind is alive with a thousand rushing ideas, like someone letting off fireworks insider her skull. An orc guard wanders idly by and prods at Findley with a gauntleted hand.

"Get moving, you stunted weed!"

Morikelva and Findley fall silent until the orc is out of earshot.

"I'm reckoning", whispers the dwarf, "that tonight would, theoretically speaking of course, be a good night for it".

"It would?" Morikelva risks another quick look at Findley.

"Aye. Well, loose hinges can't be hidden for ever. And neither can whips and the like".

The Easterling nods. "Very well. I will pass your... suggestions to the other prisoners".

With that, Morikelva raises her head and continues her work, no longer feeling the heat of the metal against her bandaged feet.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 06:21
Errandirien began to sharpen her blades. She was careful not to look at the spinning wheel that had transfixed her before. As she worked she thought of her freedom. The fresh air blowing her hair and the fresh smell of trees and the sea even came into her head. Her home was so close to her yet so far. She could even feel the warmth of the sun on her again. She could no longer feel the heat of the boiling hot room nor the smell of metal being burned. A ight of firey hope was again in her eyes. She looked around at the other workers and could tell they felt the same.
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 04:03
Eaniel bent over her work, not with the dull rythm of the days and years past, but with a determined set in her face and a gleam in her eyes. Morikelva had agreed to bring a message to the dwarves, and Eaniel had faith in the fierce woman. Morikelva would neither betray them to the orcs, nor abandon in the mazes above, of that she was sure.

As she turned to place a completed mail shirt on the table next to her, her hair brushed against her cheek, bringing with it the feeling of a summer breeze that had almost been forgotten.

"How long has it been," she wondered, "since I breathed the free air, or felt the sun?" Years in the darkness have no count. But that did not matter now.

Tonight. Freedom. Tonight. Freedom. Tonight. The words echoed in her mind, blocking out all consciousness of the heat of the fires on her face and arms, or the icy drafts about her bare feet, or the sharp metal rings that cut her hands. If all went well, tomorrow she and the others would be free. And, if all did not go well, she would be forever at peace, for she would have died in freedom.

She did not despair of life, though. In all her years of imprisonment, the thought of freedom had been the only thing that had kept her alive, a thin thread of hope, that even as she hoped had never seemed more than a child's fantasy. Now the thread had grown to a strong rope, a reality.

Images from her past, forgotten until now, flowed past her eyes, becoming almost as real as the forge around her. Forests, rivers, plains, mountains- their beauty smote her heart, and even when the visions faded one thing remained- a voice, weaving through waking life and living dream, singing.

She began to hum the song of her visions, and looked up to see Errandirien looking around. Their eyes met, and Errandirien smiled, a firey light of hope was in her eyes, and the light of the flames seemed as the rosy glow of dawn upon her face
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 06:02
Eldaline’s dreams were filled with memories as she slept that night. She remembered walking in the gardens of her home, as she marveled at the beauty and splendor of the valley. The flowers were in bloom, filling the air with their sweet fragrance, and gentle breeze blew her hair as they walked. She could hear, strong and clear the word her father had spoken to her that day. “Much evils till remains in Middle Earth dear Eldaline, yet there is still good left as well. We all face trials and tribulations. We all would rather these times never come to us, yet they do. So do all who live to see such times as these but that is not us to decide. All we have to decide is what to with the time that is given us. I feel in my heart that you still have some part to play dear Eldaline before it is all over. Great things will come from you, if you can but just believe. Believe in your dreams... believe in yourself...”

Eldaline awoke with a start at the sound of heavy footsteps coming down the corridor towards the cell. She sat up, glancing around the cell at the others. Findley and Thalin sat in one of the far corners backs to the wall. Malathar was sitting nearby, knees drawn up to his chest, his eyes clear and alert, gazed out into the corridor, waiting the orcs who were coming. Eldaline’s gaze fell on Bror and her heart broke. Day after day she had watched the dwarf slip farther and farther away, despite her attempts to reach her. She now knew it was hopeless, she had given up all hope, the fire was gone, she had no will to live left in her. Eldaline’s attention fell to the cell door as it creaked open and in walked Lublolo and two other orcs.

“Well aint this a lively bunch” he sneered. “Alright, time for work !”
Grabbing Thalin he shoved him towards the door way. “The forges he yelled as he let the whip fall on Thalin’s back. Turning his eyes fell on Findley and he grinned wickedly. “and for the petty dwarf... The wheel again !” Lublolo laughed wickedly, he got great pleasure from seeing the dwarf running around in there like an animal. Taking a step towards him Lublolo reached his out hand to grab the chain. Quick as a flash Findley jumped up and began to dart around the cell. Again and again Lublolo tried to catch the petty dwarf but to no avail. Finally he gave up for the moment and turned his attention to Eldaline. “You my dear...” he said with a wicked grin. “You are off to your normal station, where I can keep an eye on you...” as he said this he pulled her close “... she elf.” His eyes burned with a mix of deep desire and hatred. Taking her by the arm and pushing her to one of the other orcs, Lublolo came finally to Malathar.

Malathar stood and looked at him with a look of sheer hatred. The fire burned once more in his eyes, and Lublolo could see it. He glared at the elf anger raising in his heart. For what seemed like an eternity they stared at each other, a battle of wills being waged, neither one willing to surrender. Finally Lublolo could stand it no longer and he let his whip fly, striking Malathar. Raising his arm again he let it fly but this time Malathar raised his arm to block the blow, the whip coiling around him arm. Lublolo stood there for a second in shock, then with a quick jerk Malathar pulled the whip from his hand, sending Lublolo staggering to the floor with a thud. Malathar unwound the whip from his arm, the red line already seeping, and he raised the whip ready to let it fall. “Too long have you let this whip fly upon us, now you shall feel it on your own back !”

Just as he was about ready to let it fly, Malathar was grabbed from behind. One of the orcs grabbed him and knocked him to the ground. His face pressed hard against the cold stone floor he looked up as Lublolo staggered to his feet and took the whip in his hand once more. “You will pay for that elf... you shall pay dearly !” Grabbing a handful of Malathar’s long black hair, he yanked him to his feet and shoved him towards the door. As he marched out, taking Malathar, Eldaline, and Thalin away he nodded to wards the remaining orc. “You.... get the petty dwarf.”

All that day Eldaline worked in the Leatherworks room with the others. Hide after hide she cleaned under the piercing eye of Lublolo. His anger towards them seemed to have been renewed and he let his whip fly freely and often. As Eldaline worked, her mind traveled to Malathar and in her heart she feared for him. If Grimbald was overseeing him, she knew his suffering would be great... On and she worked, hide after hide. Suddenly as she was working on a hide, the blade she was using to crape the hides clean caught into one of the hides and tore into it. Eldaline stopped and looked at the tear. Her mind raced. If the blade could to that to the leather, then what could it do to an orc, or an Easterling ? Quickly she glanced around and continued on with her work.

In the forges Malathar was paying dearly for his attack on Lublolo. Grimbald had placed him in the deepest reaches of the forges, where it was the hottest. He was put to work hammering out the blades of the swords. It was hard work, the hammer was heavy, the fires around him hot, and the air was filled with smoke. His eyes stung and his lungs burned. The hours passed by slowly. Malathar began to tire, his arms grew weary and he long for a drink of water, his mouth and lip cry and cracked from the heat. At last the horn blew signaling fort he changing of the slaves. As Malathar started out with the others, making way for the new batch of slaves to come in, Grimbald grabbed him by the arm.

“Where do you think you are going pretty boy” he sneered “You are staying here !” He shoved Malathar back towards the fires where he had been working the whips landing on his back. Malathar looked at him anger burning in his eyes. All the rest of the day he worked on Grimbald doing his best to break him, but Malathar had resolved in his heart that he would not give Grimbald that pleasure.

Back in the cells, Eldaline carefully took out the blade she had been using in the leatherworks room. She had hidden it among the folds of her cloak and had managed to get it back to the cell. Hiding it in the stash with the other weapons they had accumulated, she turned towards the door, expecting Malathar to be brought in soon. But when the others filled past and he was not among them fear gripped her heart. A short while later footsteps were heard, but they were not Malathar’s. Eldaline’s heart sank and she turned her back to the door. As she stood there, her eyes meet those of Findley, and he knew. The door creaked open and she heard his voice.

“Eldaline... come my pet.... dinner awaits..” Grimbald put a hand on her shoulder and turned her around to face him. Looking into her eyes he imagined the joys that would be his at long last. Marching her out, he slammed the door behind him. He led Eldaline down the familiar corridor and into the room. Walking in he turned closed the door behind them and locked it. Eldaline stood there, stone still, not moving, nor speaking. Grimbald walked over to her, standing behind her and whispered in her ear. “You are mine now... far too long have I waited. I have had to suffer as others have their time. Finally my waiting is over, and you are here, and you are mine... Tonight, you are mine.” As he spoke he pressed his lips against her fair skin.

Eldaline pulled away from him. He looked at her an evil grin playing across his face. “I would not be so hot headed if I was you... or your boyfriend down there might not look too good when you see him again. “ He nodded towards the window. Eldaline walked over and looked down into the forges. She gasped and despair filled her heart. She saw Malathar still there working, Lublolo, now in charge laying the whip again and again. Slowly she turned and looked at Grimbald. “I do it for Malathar..” she said in a voice barely above a whisper.

Grimbald smiled triumphantly. Taking hold of her shoulders he looked into her eyes then kissed her, enjoying the moment he had been waiting for, for so long. As he pulled back Eldaline started up at him tears in her eyes. Pushing her, less than gently down on the bed, she shut her eyes as she felt him grope her. The following events she would try for the rest of her days to block from her memory.
Later she found herself in the cell again, Malathar’s strong loving arms around her. She clung tightly to him and through her tears she whispered “It’s over... it’s all done now... we soon shall be free and this... will be no more than the memory... of a bad dream..”

Syriana
Queen Of Rain
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 10:33
It was the first time for Polgara to work as a slave,and somehow deep in her hearth she felt that it would probavly be the last time as well.While in the cell she heard the others talk of an escape,but she didn't understand why they would take an Easterling woman with them.Yet somehow the others trusted her,Polgara needed to put aside her hatred against the Easterlings.Maybe this one was different.

She looked up and saw Errandirien standing close to her.A smile crossed her face for she reminded her of her best friend.Errandirien looked up and saw Polgara watch her,she returned the smile...
Polgara felt the guards near and started to work again,somehow she managed to keep her hands busy with sharpening the blade when her mind drifted to her home,the woods and the sunlight.
Her eyes shifted to the ground and she saw small pieces of metal lying there,she looked around but there was no guard close by.She bent down and picked up one of the pieces,it wasn't that sharp but it would serve the purpose.Polgara slowly placed it under her shirt and conmtinued her work.
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 06:44
Later that evening, after they have finished storing or eating the cold, greasy scraps of food thrown at them, Morikelva seeks out Eaniel, who is sat whispering with Lainauriel and Artalion. The Easterling woman sits down with them, making sure that the guards do not see her, for it would surely arouse their suspicion to find the elves and the Easterlings conversing.

"I have spoken with the petty dwarf, Findley", Morikelva whispers. "It is as we thought; they already have an escape plan of their own".

Lainauriel's eyes light up and she squeezes Artalion's hand. "What are they going to do?"

"They have somehow managed to loosen the hinges to their cell door, so that it opens from the inside. They're planning to break out tonight. We must join them".

"Tonight?" Artalion looks at Morikelva incredulously. "It will take more than a few loosened hinges to get out of here. What about the guards?"

"That's exactly why we should join them. From what Findley tells me, there are three dwarves in his cell, one of whom is witless with despair, and two elves, both of whom are injured. They will need our help as we need theirs. I have a plan but it requires Grimbald to be here".

At this, the elves eye Morikelva as if she has gone mad. Eaniel speaks for them. "Why, in the name of all that is good, would we want Grimbald here?"

"I know, I know. But our greatest problem is not breaking out of the cells but getting out of the dungeon. Imagine the noise the other prisoners will make if they see us creeping along with our escape. They'll shout out and make all sorts of racket. Not to mention the guards who will be on duty. Which is why we need Grimbald. So that we can kill him and I can wear his armour".

"So it looks like we're being taken somewhere!" exclaims Eaniel under her breath.

"Exactly. Grimbald seems to be the one they're all afraid of here and he's an Easterling about my height. With luck, under all that armour and with my hair cut and plaited, they won't notice the difference. Plus, I know all the petty little rules about on which side to pass a superior officer, how to address a general, all that kind of thing. I don't see how else we will get out".

"But how do we get Grimbald in here?" whispers Lainauriel.

"Well, if I were to bait him, he'd come in soon enough, but he'd be so angry and making so much racket, that we wouldn't stand much of a chance". Morikelva frowns. "I can kill him without a second thought, but I'll need your help to get him in here". She looks at the gathered elves, hoping that one of them can provide an answer.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email