Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The warriors of harad
on: January 05, 2007 06:25
"I...Thank you Scrya, but I can look after myself. I know that you meant no wrong, and I appreciate that, but..." Ciryn tried to think of a way to express herself without being rude. She just shrugged her shoulders and twisted a strand of hair round her finger. "Just don't be so angry with her," she said to Lachon. "Be fair, she was doing what she thought was right."

Ciryn turned around and went back to the mumakil pens, kicking the dusty ground. Two new overseers had replaced the others, and they did not seem to revel in causing her and the others she worked with pain. She kept her eyes lowered all the same, and did not speak but for to the mumakil.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2007 10:00
Scyra felt her heart sink. "I never do anything right." She whispered. She promised that she would never raise a weapon against anyone unless they were in a battle or something like that.
Scyra sat down quietly and waited for her judgement.
Then Malek walked by and Scyra touched his arm. "Malek, I am sorry I ruined your plans for trying to take away the whips. And I want to say that I am very thankful that you are trying to protect people under the services of men like Melik who are whipped constantly." Scyra said, she smiled slightly.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2007 02:16
Malek looked at Scyra as she spoke to him. He sighed a little out of frustration.

"You're welcome Scyra, and there may still be a chance to remove the whips. It'll just be harder now," he paused, "Next time, just injure the man's arm, try not to slice it off."

He patted her shoulder, a small grinned on his face as he moved out of the room. Once outisde he hung his head in his hands and took a deep breath. What a day this was turning out to be. He could only hope Scyra wouldn't be hurt for her deeds.

Malek suddenly looked up to see a stone cold General Amir in front of him wanting to speak with the woman inside. Malek could only nod, and lead him in, but stayed in the room while the General looked Scyra over.

"I have been informed of what exactly happened today," he started, "It may have been an act of defense, but there was no need to go to such extremes! I have been told that those two men can be harsh, and they will be spoken to," Malek grinned at the statement, because it was good news, and because he knew his sister was behind that suddenly softness in his eyes, "But a man's arm is still gone by your hand. ... Let me ask you, if you were in my place, what you punish yourself with?" he asked suddenly causing Malek's eyebrows to rise.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2007 11:32
Lachon was now alone in the room with Scyra, he sat down beside her. "I promise that they will nto hurt you, be thankfull that you know me, and that you are a freind of mine, otherwise the result of your actions may be different".

Then he heard the conversation outside betwen the men and he got up from his chair and walked out of the tent. Seeing Lachon the general rolled is eyes, he knew that because of Lachons responsibilities, wealth, and links to the ambassador, and all his friends who were generally wealthy and warriors, he would not get any further in his attempt to punish the woman, still he would persist.

"Lachon, you know this woman? Well she must be punished for her acts...

"She will not be, i have already punished her enough, you need do no more to her, she is young and not used to wielding her sword, nevertheless she has seen the consequenbces of such actions".Lachon interrupted, and turned back into the room, away from the heat of mid-day.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2007 11:35
Scyra sat quietly the whole time, staring at her hands that were clasped together.
When the general sked how she would punish herself, she was going to answer but was interrupted when Lachon spoke.
Scyra could not smile but she felt hope warm her heart.

When Lachon left Scyra was about to follow, but a guard grabbed her arm. "Give me your sword." The guard said, he held out his hand.
Scyra's eyes opened wide. "But this was my father's sword, I can't give it away." Scyra said. "General's orders." The guard said. Scyra didn't want to get into anymore trouble so she pulled out her sword.
She looked at it for a minute, as it laid in her hands, then she gave it to him.
Then the guard let her out.
Scyra wandered the street sadly as she made her way home.
She went to the stables first and walked in.
Stormryne whinned when he saw her. Scyra walked into his stall and laid her head on his neck. Then she began to cry.
She buried her head in his neck and clutched his mane.
"I am such a failiure Stormryne. I could have killled a man." Scyra said between sobs. "I didn't even mean to cut his arm off, I just felt so mad and when I swung the sword it went so fast..." Scyra couldn't finish.

That night she stayed in the stall with Stormryne, she felt too sad to go back to her lonely tent. She needed to be with someone tonight and Stormryne was the only one who wanted her around.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2007 09:37
When she had finished her work, Ciryn went to the stables to see if there were any horses that were not owned. She did not have one of her own, though she could ride. It was dark, and the men at the stables were yawning and saying goodbyes, ready to go for the night.

"Excuse me, I need a horse," said Ciryn sharply. The men looked up. Then one of them scowled at her and took her into the stables. He was muttering to himself as he went to where the horses that were not owned by anyone, whos owners had fallen in battle or similar, were kept. There were only three horses there. One was completely black but for a white snip on its nose, another dun with black socks and dorsal stripe, and the other was dark brown with a white blaze and a flaxen mane. The man gestured to them all and went back to his friends.

Ciryn looked them all over quickly, but did not have to think for long before opening the door to the black horse's stall and leading the stallion out. She took him to a different stall so that no one else could claim him, and brushed him down. The proud beast snorted and tossed its head, and Ciryn smiled.

"You took the black one, right," said one of the men. It was hard to tell in the darkness who had spoken.

"Yes," replied Ciryn warily.

"His name is Amryn, no one wanted him before because he has such a hot temperament," the man replied. Ciryn smiled wryly, and then heard something from inside the stables that did not sound like a horse. She went back inside and found Scyra with her horse. Ciryn smiled at her, not knowing if she would see her, and then ran back to her tent to catch some sleep.

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2007 10:19
(where is everyone?)

"What are you doing?" A gruff voice asked. Scyra quickly woke up. She looked up from where she lay in the stall at the man who kept care of the horses who weren't owned by anyone. "Nothing. I have a right to be with my own horse." Scyra said. The man walked by without another word.
Scyra stood and brushed off the hay that stuck to her clothes. She patted Stormryne's neck. "I don't know what to do with myself Stormryne. Should I go back to the mumikil pens, or should I just stay out of trouble." Scyra wondered.
In the end she decided to go and help out at the mumikil pens as she always had.
She walked in quietly and worked alone. She continueally wondered if she would ever get her Father's sword back. "Maybe once I head off to war they will let me have it." Scyra thought. She took a mumikil down to the river to drink. As the mumikil drank she sat on the bank of the river and thought about what had happened and about all the mistakes she had made. "I am such a fool." Scyra whispered. She hugged her knees. "I want to do something to prove to everyone that I can be smart and brave, and not foolish or dangerous." Scyra said. She decided then and there that when she went to war she wouldn't fight for herself but for the people of her land, she would do something right for once. "I'll do it for you Father." Scyra said as she looked up at the sky.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2007 06:39
((OOC - I am here ))

Ciryn took two of the mumakil down to the river to drink. They were restless, and one cuffed her over the head with its trunk, pushing her off balance. She scowled at it and pushed her hair out of her eyes. She watched them drink for a bit, and then noticed a figure on the bank. She pulled her loose trousers up to her knees, tying the legs with string, and splashed over to her.

"Scyra!" said Ciryn in surprise. "Are you alright?" She sat down beside her with a sigh.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2007 09:54
lol I have just been thinking about where the story is going, can everyone go to the ooc post please, but keep posting here as well.

---------------------------------

Lachon looked out of the window of his house high up in the town, he could see out onto the desert plains, and he was watching the slow progress of a mumakil and army, across the sand to the lower part of the town, where the mustering was beginning.

He sighed, and watched a wisp of cloud sail through the blue skies. he was bored, and had letters to write to different generals in different places, telling them where to go, and what to do, hehad no time for simple pleasures, like talking to his friends, he was just too busy. Sometimes he wished he was poorer and that so much was not relied on him all the time.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2007 10:05
Scyra looked over at Ciryn. She looked down at her hands. "I'm fine." Scyra whispered sadly. She could feel Ciryn looking at her, Scyra knew that she knew something was wrong. "Alright." Scyra sighed. "I'll tell you what's wrong. I'm a foolish girl that my Father wouldn't be proud of." Scyra said. "I want to make him proud, but everything I do is wrong." Scyra said, tears rolled down her cheeks. Then she looked at Ciryn. "They took my Father's sword from me too. They think I'm too dangerous to have a weapon." Scyra said.
As she looked at the water sadness built up in her, until she could bear it no more. Scyra threw her arms around Ciryn's neck and cried. "I want to be right, I want to do something that will make everyone proud!" Scyra said between sobs.
Then she stopped crying and pushed away. She wiped the tears from her face. "I'm sorry. I'm making a fool of myself again, aren't I." Scyra said. She looked at her reflection in the water, a single tear rolled down her cheek.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2007 09:40
"Oh Scyra, you're not making a fool of yourself! Don't cry, please," Ciryn stammered, feeling completely useless. "You've done a lot that your father would be proud of, but you're unique and you just do it in your own way! And... I'll get your father's sword back, or get someone to get it back for you, okay? I know that I would be lost without mine... You're not dangerous, you just need to learn how to use a weapon more effectively." Plans were forming in Ciryn's mind as she spoke. "But that would be hard without a weapon to practice with. Here, just until I get the other one back for you," she said, unbuckling the belt from which her curved sword hung. Ciryn handed it to Scyra and went straight back to the mumakil so that she did not change her mind.

She took the mumakil back to the pens, and immediately ran off to find Lachon. Ciryn slipped past the guards and went up to him, pushing her hair out of her eyes. "Lachon, they've taken Scyra's sword from her. It was her father's, and..." She realised how much like a plaintive child she sounded and smiled apologetically. "I just wanted to know if you could find out where it is kept, so I could get it back?"
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2007 10:58
Lachon looked suprised ad Ciryn ran through his door, and he was just in the middle of writing a long letter. He pondered on what she had said for a minute, and then remembered where all the swords were kept.

"We will have to hurry, as her sword could be given to new troops any time now, especially with the muster at hand"he told her and began to walk briskly down to one of the many armouries. It was a hot day, and so their progress searching through the piles of swords seemed slow and endless but Lachon didn't stop until Scyra's sword peeped out f the pile and he took hold of it quickly and puit it into its case that ewas leaning against the wall.

He smiled at Ciryn and handed her the sword."You take this back to Scyra, and tell her to hide it in somewhere, i have to go and write more letters"he said.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 08:03
Ciryn smiled, taking the sword from Lachon. "I'm glad I'm not rich," she said to him, running back to the river.

To her relief, Scrya was still there, and Ciryn slumped on the bank beside her, laughing. "Got it," she said, handing the sword to her. "Now I'll have mine back, if you please, I want to go and catch a good amount of sleep. I'll be needing it in these next few days."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2007 11:19
Scyra beamed when she saw her sword. "Thank you so much Ciryn!" Scyra said. She quickly gave Ciryn her sword.

Later that day in her tent she practiced swinging her sword around. Soon Scyra gave up, she knew she was not doing it right. "Maybe Ciryn, or one of the others will teach me how." Scyra said. She slipped her sword under her bed, where she always kept it, and fell asleep.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2007 06:02
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks had passed, and a red sun was setting on the horizon. The town was now full and many overflow camps had been made outside the walls to hold the huge armies that harad controlled. Many mumakil were stationed in their pens that were also huge, the town was brimming with soldiers who were busy practicing their fighting and drinking.

Lachon and Ciryn looked out of the window of the watchtower in the middle of the city, from here they could see the vast armies.

"Tomorrow is the day"Lachon said"Are you ready, and most of all, you have been teaching Scrya, is she ready?"he asked her with full confidence that Ciryn had taught her well.

bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2007 03:14
"I'm ready, and I think Scrya is too. I hope she is. The only thing I am worried about is that she has no experience in these matters, the matters of war. But I think she will cope, she is strong, and she wants nothing more than to be a warrior and make her father proud," Ciryn replied.

She undid the strip of cloth she always had tied round her forehead, combed out her hair, and tied it on again. "I can't wait to get moving though. Those two weeks went all too slowly," Ciryn sighed. She thought of Amryn, the horse that she had been training to listen to her and do as she commanded, and rubbed the latest bruise on her shoulder blade. Ciryn was glad at least that the horse would listen to her, and she believed that they had made a fragile bond between them, ready to be snapped the next time he bucked her off. "But I'm too excited to sleep," she said, moving from foot to foot and smiling wryly out at the army.

"I'll just practice for a bit, I suppose," Ciryn said, drawing her curved sword, turning away from the window and slashing through the air, turning and stabbing. Her hair flew out behind her as she twisted, mutilating imaginary enemies, anticipating the coming weeks.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2007 05:22
Scyra had been practicing for a long time in her tent, then she knew she had to go out and prepare the mumikil.
Scyra had her sword sheathed at her side, and she walked proudly. She could see men looking at her and smiling because of her small size, they probably wanted to laugh.
Scyra wasn't bothered though, she just kept moving.

Scyra brought the mumikil down to the river and let them drink before they had to move on. Scyra practiced with her sword while she waited for the mumikil to finish.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2007 11:34
Lachon walked around most of the camps, talking to soldoers and inspecting the Mumakil, thought because of there shees size, it was difficult and took a lot of time. He eventualy came to the river that was running low because of the summer heat, and he saw Scyra with one of the smaller mumakil, though he could not help but laugh when he saw that she was extremely good at handling the creatures.

"Tonight he will have to be armoured up and suitable for the army to use" Lachon said, thinking of all the money he had poured into the supplies that were to build the platforms on the mumakils backs.

"Then tomorrow we set off, so have a good night sleep"He said, and sat down by the river for a moment.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2007 06:04
Ciryn rushed back to her tent, rubbing her horse's muzzle before ducking inside. Opening the wooden chest, she took out the armour she had been storing there, and put it on the edge of her bed. She changed into it, and lay down on top of her bed. The last time anyone she had known had went to war, they had never returned. Except Lachon, she thoguht. But he's rich. He has so much training in the ways of war, but he doesn't really know the meaning of a day's hard work in the mumakil pens.

Ciryn lay awake, thinking about whether she would ever return to her home. She couldn't sleep, thoughts rushed round her head, bumping into each other and causing chaos. She went outside her tent. The stars shone bright overhead, and she saddled up her horse in his specially made armour. "We'll get through this Amryn, you and I," Shyrryn whispered. The horse snorted, as if in understanding. She mounted and rode off away from her tent, knowing that she might never see it again.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2007 10:18
Scyra was slightly embarrassed to see Lachon watching her.
She smiled slightly. "I will be ready, and I will have these mumikils in top shape." Scyra said, she was ready to fight.

The next morning Scyra woke early so she could get the mumikil ready.
As Scyra passed the stables she realized she might be so busy with the mumikil that she wouldn't be able to bring Stormryne.
She shook her head. "No one is going to separate me from my first friend." Scyra said.
She ran into the stable and got Stormryne tacked and ready, then led him out.
She let him wander around the river while she got the mumikil ready. Scyra wasn't really sure what she was getting herself into. She had never been to battle and didn't really know anyone who had.
She remembered that her father had been a solider, but she could barely remember him. Scyra felt slightly nervous, she knew they would be fighting against a fierce enemy, but they would make it, they would destroy whoever stood up against them.
Scyra smiled at these thoughts. "Maybe we will even be able to keep some of the land beyond. It is much more green and cool than Harad." Scyra whispered to no one.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2007 09:39
"Maybe," Ciryn smiled, dismounting from behind Scyra. She tethered her horse to a stick she drove into the ground on the bank, and then went back to Scyra. "I came to give you a hand with getting these ready," she said.

For the next half an hour they prepared the mumikil, painting them and rigging up the platforms on their backs. It was hard work. Ciryn listened to the battle cries coming from the camps, and smiled. There was no getting out of it now. Eventually, they had got all of the mumikil ready, and Ciryn mounted Amryn and rode away from the river, to find Lachon.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2007 08:12
Lachon could not concela his excitement in the morning, he felt as if he was going to burst from the thought of going to war.

As the hours went by he saw everyone gradually decide who was marching and who was riding the mumakil, and he saw the mumakil transform into giant beasts of war with chains and paintings.

He saw his friends in the distance eventaully and ran over to them with excitement.

"Well, are you ready, it is time to climb onto our mumak,"he said lauging.

And so they found the largest mumakil in the camp, and all three of them climbed to the huge wartower on the top where they set out their belongings and made ready for the long march.

((Im going to pm LadyPunk and see if she is still with us.))

[Edited on 21/1/2007 by Irmo_of_lorien]
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2007 10:14
OOC - Question Irmo, we've all got horses ready and then suddenly we're on an elephant. What happens to the horses?
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 11:04
They could still be with the army i suppose, but i thought we would be travelling on the mumakil as Lachon is quite well off and you are his friends...And Ladypunk has said she would like to stop posting, so well have to drop her Im sure we could change to horses if you wanted to.

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2007 11:50
(I think Scyra will stay on her horse, so she can better watch the mumikil, hope thats alright)

Scyra rode next to the mumikil, watching for any pitafalls that would get in their way.
"At last we are on our way Stormryne. We are going to war." Scyra whispered to her horse. She felt very jumpy, she was nervous but very excited.
As she looked around her at all the men and the mumikil she felt the tension in the air. The war would be very hard, but she did not know much of war and didn't seem to be bothered by it.

Night seemed to fall early that day. As night fell they came upon a ridge of a hill, they heard something beyond. Scyra raced ahead with some other men, she wanted to make sure the mumikil could get by whatever was making the noise.
Scyra quickly reined in Stormryne and gasped as she looked at the scene below.

(The next person to post can decide what is on the other side of the hill)
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2007 07:35
Lachon stayed on the mumakilo when Scyra decided to go back to her horse. Ciryn also disappeared off somewhere and Lachon was left on his own, though he had much to organize.

So he went and sat at the top of the wartower and from there he could see the whole of the army that had been gathered in haste from other parts of harad. It was huge, with 8 mumakil marching in a long row, and many troops walking in endless columns beside them.

As they cam over the hill Lachons mouth fell open, there sitting at the bottom of a giant sand valley was mustered more armies. But this mustering had taken place ovetr the whole of north harad and from this distance Lachon could count at leats 20 more mumakil, maybe more and countless men swarming around the giant beasts like ants out of a nest.
Lachon ordered the harad horn to be blowed and the sound swept over the dunes to warn of their arrival.

Lachon walked went to the bottom level of the war tower and prepared to get of the beast when they arrived at the giant camp. He saw Scyra on her horse beneath thim and called to her, waving.

"Can you see it Scyra, there is no chance we cannot win this war now!"he shouted amongst the singing of the soldiers.

"Just 20 or so days of solid marching, and we will come to green lands, where rivers run plentifull all year round"he thought to himself.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2007 10:47
Scyra grinned at Lachon, they would win this war for sure. "Either that or all will perish. But no, Gondor will not have an army this large." Scyra thought, she smiled.
She began to sing a song in her language, it was a song of a victorious war.
Stormryne was nervous walking near to such large beast that could trample him, but Scyra did not let him move away. "I'm in charge of these mumikil, I need to stay around them." Scyra whispered to Stormryne.
Then she looked around for Ciryn, where had she gone?
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2007 10:01
Ciryn was riding her horse up in front of the mumikil, and when she saw the extra armies she burst into song along with the rest of the soldiers. She turned her horse and went back to find Scyra and Lachon.

She caught sight of them some way back, and picked her way through the joyous singing men. Some stopped and stared up at her, recognising her face. She looked away, feeling uncomfortable in what felt like a sea of men. Eventually she reached them, and rode alongside Scyra.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 12:37
Scyra smiled at Ciryn. "This will be some battle." Scyra said.
Then her smile disappeared. "Do you think I'm ready Ciryn? I have never seen battle, do you know what it is like?" Scyra asked, she was just the slightest bit nervous.
Then she looked at Lachon. "Doing more papers Lachon?" Scyra asked, she was teasing.
She was glad to be so close to such good friends.
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2007 06:58
Ciryn bit her lip. "Yes, I know what battle is like," she said softly. She stayed silent for a moment, and then shook her head as if to clear out unwanted memories. "And yes, I think you are ready. If you remember all I taught you and do not lose your head, then you will live." Ciryn did not say what she thought after that, that if Gondor's forces were stronger than theirs then they would all die anyway, and looked down at her hands, unusually subdued.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 01:12
Eventually the armies came together and were merged into one massive force, the grey mumakil and the dark skinned harads were made for each other.

Lachon felt a sense of relief when the overall commander took controll of the troops and the responsibility was taken off Lachons shoulders.

the army would set off in the morning but for now there were orders flying everywhere and the soldiers were just drinking and having fun before the long march ahead.

Lachon sat with his friends with a cup of wine in his hand.
"So are you both ready for the fighting ahead?"he asked
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 11:27
Scyra stared in amazment as the tow armies became one very large army. She had never seen anything like it.
Scyra still rode below, she had to keep an eye on Lachon's mumikil, and she would not be separated from Stormryne.
Scyra looked up at Lachon when she heard him speak. "I'm ready, more than ready." Scyra said, she smiled.
Scyra tried to look ahead to see how far they had to go, or to look for familiar land marks but she couldn't see any.
"How long until we reach Gondor?" Scyra asked. Her blood raced through her reins and her heart beat fast, she was so excited about the battle to come, she knew she would show everyone her bravery and talent.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2007 11:26
"It will be more than a week until we reach a place called ithilen, and from there i would say a few more days to reach the battlefield, but i am sure there will be a great many battles on the way" Lachon smiled at Scyras enthusiasm and drank some more of his wine.

"Ciryn, where did you disappear to earlier, one minute you were there, and the next you were gone?"he asked
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2007 09:31
Ciryn smiled at Lachon, but did not say anything. "But as the answer to the first question, Lachon, you know I am ready," she said.

A man weaved up to her and held out a cup of wine, smiling drunkenly just past her face. She recognised him as one of the more esteemed people in the army, one in charge of many men. Revolted, Ciryn pushed his hand away and turned her head away - his breath reeked of ale and wine. Ciryn was only drinking water, she hated the way the wine clouded her mind after too much drinking.
Irmo_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2007 11:22
HI everyone, i know this is a bit inconvenient for everyone but bow_and_arrow is having a big problem with getting online and I told her i would try to slow down the posting on the rpg-ing so that she would not get left behind. Could everyone not post as much for a while, im afraid i don't know how long for.thanks a lot.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email