Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans Over Forty ~ Part X
on: December 15, 2006 03:16
Gads! Can you believe it? 10 threads with 600 or more posts in them? Wow... Stressed about the holidays, work... Oy... *sigh* Here we go with a new thread, all bright and shiny! Heh... Hope everyone's holiday shopping and preparations are doing well. Swabby, here's hoping your ticker is okay. Don't need that ever, but now is really not a good time. I'll keep those good vibes going.

To all my FoF, I wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuaka (first night tonight), and Happy Yule!
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part X
on: December 15, 2006 03:56
Hello, Belle, Nice to finally meet you! Hope that your holidays go well. Merry Christmas to you also..
WOW!! another new thread already!
Hope that you all have a good night and weekend...looks like I will be baby-sitting again tomorrow...so not sure when I will be online again...
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2006 04:10
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! :wave:

10 threads already! :dizzy:

Well, I just popped in for a quick hello. I'm off to the shop to have some maintenance work done on Fatty Carkin.

Hasta!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 16, 2006 07:51
My, we are a talkative bunch.

The concert yesterday was lovely, and the daughter also recovered enough that she could go with me. Today, the older daughter's showdance group performed in the end-of-term show of the dance school, and I went to see it.

Happy Hanukah to those who celebrate it, and wishes for a great weekend to everybody else!
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2006 01:27
LOL I was wondering why there were no posts from CoE in my e-mail in-box. New thread already.

It's a quiet day here on the PoG. The spousal unit and I are going to a dinner party tonight with old college friends who also live here in the capital of the PoG. Should be good times. We bought a couple of bottles of mead to celebrate all things warm and happy. My father made mead when I was a teen and gave me a bottle of it for the celebration of the baptism of my first child. I was 15. Then he thought better of it and gave me yet another bottle of it for the celebration of my marriage. He sternly told me that he expected that the second bottle be consumed long before the first. *giggle* Nevertheless, mead has been one of our favorite wines ever since although it's hard to come by here. There are only a few stores that carry it and then they don't always have it. We bought a bottle of mead when we were at the Tower of London for our son when we were in London a couple of years ago. He doesn't know it, but we bought it for the celebration of his wedding vows. When that will be, who knows? But it's there. We're hoping to start a tradition.

Off I go to celebrate. Take good care all. You are, one and all, in my thoughts and prayers this holiday season. :love:
Scots
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2006 08:41
Hello, Hello! I don't post for a few days and suddenly we have a new home. I did go back and read all of the other posts that I missed.

Thoroughly enjoying my weekend.

Swabby, glad to hear you are okay for now, but I'll be praying that all f your tests will reveal an easily fixed problem.

Cirdaneth I was so sad to hear about your friend. I'm glad you were able to meet and enjoy some time together. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the heart healing that you need.

To everyone else-Happy Holidays
To those on the Christmas Card List-I have completely enjoyed getting the cards as was mentioned by another. It's been fun and always makes me smile.

Again, my best wishes. Not much else to say. So...bye for now.
Brandywine
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2006 02:49
Thanks for the new thread, belle. Since we're such a talkative bunch we need a new one every now and then.

Sorry to hear about your "fender bender", awelyn, but I am glad that it was a minor problem.

Am sorry for your loss, cirdaneth. Loosing a loved one is a difficult thing. It was good that you did have some time together before he passed away. May his spirit rejoice in the beauties of The White Shores.

Medieval Christmas music concert souns marvelous, morwin. Wish I were there with you.

Have fun celebrating, scots. Friendships and great fellowships are well worth honoring with good times together.

Am indulging myself in watching the LOTR films on TNT-all in one afternoon/evening. ROTK is next and I'd best go in the other room as the commercials are ending.

Thought of you, HT, when Eowyn asked Aragorn about the woman who gave him that jewel. Of course I was thinking of my Ara-baby and his peace sing pendant that replaced the A%#$* pendant.

Sending healing prayers your way, swabby.

Mith is computer-less. She may check in if she gets access to a computer. She sends her love to all.

Have a wonderful begining to the week. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, good Yule dear FoF's.

MT
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2006 07:17
Our normally talkative bunch has been quiet today.

Hope you are all well and just enjoying the lovely Christmas season. We ate supper at the home of some friends tonite and then played the Harry Potter Scene It game. It was fun.

Three more days before we fly to Florida for the big vacation.
I so need a break. There are three more days of school this week and I would really like to just sleep in. I love my class but I am tired. Find myself falling asleep on the way to the store or to the farm. (not the driver)

It's amazing how exhausting work can really be.
January is shaping up to be a busy month already. Just when I thought I was going to get a bit of a break. No rest for the wicked I guess. LOL
Later,
Brandy
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2006 09:55
Not so quiet here just busy...
I made decorations for the tree and put them up this evening.
Last night is was the annual Christmas Dinner for Nightwatch.
And after the festivities were over I was given two dinners
which I gave out to a friend who is homeless and miossed the dinner.
I don't think her son is old enough for the meat yet
but he might like the mashed potatoes and gravy...
They are in a shelter program but that only covers housing
for four nights a week. So I caught them on one of their outside nights...
Makes me wish I had a big house, say 3 bedrooms or so...
Other then that I am just busy with life in general.

Sure hope everyones weekend was as good as mine! :love: :hug::cheers:

OH almost forgot to put a link in to a neat French site...
http://tuatha.club.fr/index.htm
Elven things... I have a long wish list from this site.
Sigh, I'll have to get those things next spring.

[Edited on 18/12/2006 by vicarcat]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 03:34
Vicacat it would be so frustrating to me to see all those people that need your help and knowing you are limited to help them

Brandy that sounds like a fun time and I know you have to be getting excited about your trip. I get tired alot too or really it is exhaustion. I don't know what it is but maybe you will get extra rest on your break.

MTMS,I watched some but not all of the LOTR trilogy. I was in our Christmas program and signed Do You Hear What I Hear? A different version. My hands were a little stiff and had to have more practice than my daughter. She also signed a song . We have a very small church. So, I was busy with practice and I wrapped presents and worked on Christmas cards until one in the morning. I did get to watch the end of the ROTK and I cried in all the places on ROTK that I usually cry.

Scots what a good start of a family tradition. Is Mead made with honey. It seems like I remember something about honey with mead. I hope you had a good time at your dinner party.

Belle we do love to talk but I think it is because of a bond that we share with each other. We genuinely like each other and respect
each other. Good for us.

Swabby I hope you are okay. Have a good day.

Hello Neenime and HT and Rose, I am going to go see Eragon Tuesday . Hello Old_Tom_Bombadil,Balrog,Randi I too babysat this weekend. and my grandkids . Hi HT and anyone else I forgot have a great day.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 10:20
Hello everybody

Just a quick visit to the new thread.

Christmas is nearly on us. I finally managed to paint my back room on Sunday. Took most of the day, but worth it. It looks lovely now. I should though, remember that I can't do what I used to do at a younger age, Lol. Discovered muscles I forgot I had. I also put my decorations up when I got home this evening.

Hope you have a great time, brandy.

Good to see everyone else.

Hope you are doing okay, swabby.

Take care all. Huge hugs.

Rose x
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 03:22
Know what you mean about being tired to your bones, brandywine. Bet this trip to FL with be just what you need to get that spring back in your step.

I shed a few tears as well, awelyn. LOTR does that to me and I'm not ashamed of it anymore.
How wonderful for you and your daughter to sign Christmas songs. Signing has always intreagued me.

Are you crazy rose, or what type beverage are you drinking???( for I want/need some ) Painting the week before Christmas is mind boggling to me. It's a very nice gift to yourself, though.

Went on a field trip with my class today. We visited a Christmas tree exhibit at the art museum and saw a marionette version of The Nutcracker-on kindergarten level. The Rat King called the Nutcracker a woodpecker buffet!! The kids loved that one! We visited Santa at a nearby mall. On the way to Santa's "hangout" we passed some stores that drew some noteworth comments: Victoria's Secret- Wow! She's hot! (5 year-old-boys), Knife/Sword store-"There's your man Mrs. Y!" (there was an Aragorn standee!), Cinnabun Store- "Those are the kind of buns I like!"
I'm rather worn out myself, so I'm off to pleasant dreams of "my man". Thinking of you swabby. Missing you mith. Love and hugs to you Tom, neenime, HT, balrog, calle, Morwin, vicarcat, scots, sindy, Jess, cirdaneth, randi and whoever else I absented-mindedly left out!!

~MT~
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 05:54
Tom! Good to see you. Hope you get Fatty Carkin straightened out...lol
Morwin, glad you and your daughter were able to get to the concert.
Scots..Hope the dinner party went well. Mead, huh? sounds interesting..Have heard a lot about it...but don't know the ingredients it is made from...
Brandy..Glad you had a good weekend!
MTMS...Glad you were able to indulge in watching LotR..Wish I had time to do so...
Brandy..Hope you have lots of fun on your vacation..
Vicarcat..What type of decorations did you make? Hope your homeless folks are safe, warm and full over the holidays..
Awelyn..Hope you have fun when you view Eragon Tuesday..I have the book..but have had no chance to read it yet..
Rose..WOW! Such energy..to get a whole room painted in one day! Congrats!
MTMS..sounds like a fun/busy time on your field trip...
Have kept VERY busy here...trying to get ready for Christmas...one new baby...an Arabian filly born..nearly a week ago now...and one sick baby..Bains son..Meldir..is still not doing well at all..tho he seems to have gained a little weight..but now he has injured his leg..and has to have antibiotics...so he and his mom stay pinned up in the paddock..so he does not have to try to keep up with her in the pasture...
weather here is warm...but rainy...
Swabby...hope that you are doing better and that the tests turn out ok...please keep us posted on your progress..if possible...
:hug: to all of you.. I think of you all so often..even if I don't have time to actually write...
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 05:54
Okay, I just couldn't resist. A fellow teacher friend sent me this. Some of you across the pond may not understand the humor in it, but the teacher types will.

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND---The Football Version

1. All teams must make the state playoffs and all MUST win the championship. If a team does not win the championship, they will be on probation until they are the champions, and coaches will be held accountable. If after two years they have not won the championship their footballs and equipment will be taken away UNTIL they do win the championship.

2. All children will be expected to have the same football skills at the same time even if they do not have the same conditions or opportunities to practice on their own. NO exceptions will be made for lack of interest in football, a desire to perform athletically, or genetic abilities or disabilities of themselves or their parents. ALL KIDS WILL PLAY FOOTBALL AT A PROFICIENT LEVEL!

3. Talented players will be asked to workout on their own, without instruction. This is because the coaches will be using all of their instructional time with the athletes who aren't interested in football, have limited athletic ability or whose parents don't like football.

4. Games will be played year round, but statistics will only be kept in the 4th, 8th, and 11th game. It will create a New Age of Sports where every school is expected to have the same level of talent and all teams will reach the same minimum goals. If no child gets ahead, then no child gets left behind.

5. If parents do not like this new law, they are encouraged to vote for vouchers and support private schools that can screen out the non-athletes and prevent their children from having to go to school with bad football players.

~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 06:00
Scots...that is so very funny! :rolling: the sad part is...there are some schools that actually seem to believe this should be so!
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 11:19
Scots-Loved the Football NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. Do you think if we sent it to our legislators they might think twice about the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT?

I didn't think so either but it's an interesting thought.

Brandy
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 12:02
Ohhh... can we apply those football rules to Congress?
Maybe then they would all show up for the votes! Oh Owww!
We need more low income housing...
so maybe the money saved from the "No Congressperson Left Behind Act"
could be used to create low income housing...

Ok so Low Income Housing is a dream of mine... Then again,
if we had the land perhaps we could build something like this:

http://www.guedelon.com/

I dream I know...

I will put up a photo of my table top tree tomorrow...

Temps here are in the 30*F's for the highs and 20*F's for the lows.
So folks are walking around wrapped in sleeping bags...
I hope they have a second bag for at night Brrr....
I know they are cold but the shelters are all full.

I do hope this week goes smoothly for everyone. :love: :hug: :angel:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 01:13
Scots and all you other lovely teachery type people. Am I understanding correctly..... No Child Left Behind....*thinks* to me that means nurturing and helping and care, helping any child who may have difficulty in learning or keeping up with his/her peers. Making sure that .... NCLB.

Now after reading scots Football Version, although whilst American Football leaves me at a complete loss, lol, it did kind of make the whole NCLB thing clearer.

As I read that parody, it seems that you bat the child around the head, make it feel different from *all* the other kids, if he/she doesn't perform to the level of his/her peers ... make an example of he/she..... If I have understood correctly, well if that's supposed to help children, I'll be an auntie to a wet fish.

School systems in England suck, although they have over the years finally realised what a cock up they made of it all. There used to be three types of schools. Secondary Modern Schools, High Schools and Grammar Schools, when you left Infant/Junior School. Pupils were streamed as to there ability and were happy, because they were with their equals. Those that strived and did well in exams etc, were applauded and patted on the back.

Then some stupid woman Politician, in Government, decided to lump everyone together and call it Comprehensive Schooling. Now we have streets full of idiot children, who leave school not being able to read and write, but still getting jobs, which baffles me, but that's another story.

How can they expect children of different abilities to work in the same classroom without bullying, mentally and physically. My daughter and son went through that. Their dimmer friends holding them back with peer pressure...."If you don't slow down we won't be your friends" or "You better not do your homework, or you could get battered". Grrrrrr, it makes me so angry.

Of course, I may have misunderstood the whole NCLB thing, but it felt good to rant a little.

*takes breath* Sorry about that, but education really gets me riled, and Politicians, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, as the King of Siam would say *steps of soapbox* And sorry for the history lesson. Lol!!

As far as painting my back room, I guess sheer determination was the elixir MT. Lol!! By golly, I *was* going to finish it. Although by the end I was pretty near shaking. 12 sq yds of ceiling surface, 10 ft high walls and roughly 12 sq yds of wall surface painted, plus all the vacuuming and moving furniture around.

See, being a dragon helps. Lol!! All that dragony strength. *flexes scaly muscles* Lol!!

Sorry to hear about the poorly baby horses, randi. Hope they come through. And how lovely for Christmas with a new baby in the family.

And to those here with new babies in the family at Christmas time. :love:

Oh Cat, love the new dream house, very modest. Lol!! Now that something to dream about.

It's been pretty damn cold here lately. Had to keep myself stoked with coal and breathing flames.

Well better go.

Thoughts and prayers to swabby. :hug: :love:

Hi to OT and everyone, and huge huge hugs.

Love

Rosie xxxx
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 03:57
Greetings to all on the occasion on St. Nicholas Day. Yes, well, that's according to the Julian calendar, by which today is Dec. 6th. My kids got little chocolate gifts under the tree today. I wish I could send some to all of you. I guess that e-chocolate will have to do.

I thought that I had posted a very clever entry yesterday, but it seems to have evaporated into the ether. It was my not-at-all-complimentary review of Apocalypto . Didn't like it at all, though hubby thought it was fine. Action and gore. Hmph, must be a testosterone thing. The visuals of the great Mayan city were cool, but the rest of the story lacked any depth. And the promise of some philosophical or historical insight was as empty as meringue.

Ah well, looking forward to Eragon with my Ring-Sisters next week.

Cat are you safe and OK? I am hearing about nasty wind stroms on the West coast. I hope your hatches are battened down .

Where is swabby to give us expert advice on weathering of storms? Perhaps Tom with his close relationship to Mother Nature can assist?

[Edited on 19/12/2006 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 08:52
Just a flyby post to say hello.

I've got cards from Sindy and Brandy!

Scots, that NCLB Football, and Rose's post about their school system, made me once again remember the saying that, the road to hell is paved with good intentions... :rolleyes: Our own politicians declared a few years ago that, they're aiming at 70 % of every class ending up with an academic degree. Hello? Can you guarantee a job to that many academics? And, who's going to do the non-academic jobs? Some politicians seem to have their feet firmly off the ground.

For the rest of this week, I might not be online very much so, don't wonder if you don't see me around. Until the next time, :hug: to everybody! Don't get too stressed with Christmas preparations!
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 09:39
Well, I'm back. First I was supposed to get hospitalized, and then I wasn't. A clogged vessel in my heart settled the matter by acting up last Friday morning and sending me to the emergency room. I spent last weekend undergoing numerous tests while hooked up to various machines and getting stuck with needles---lots and lots of needles. My blood sugar was 240 and my potasium was too low. My chest pain was the most intense I'd felt so far. I underwent an arteriogram yesterday (Monday) morning and the clogged vessel was found and quickly opened back up with a stint. I started breathing better with a few minutes. I guess I did OK because they let me come home today (Tuesday) about noon. I've got some new medicines and new diet restrictions and I'm hopefull this new "tune-up" will enable me to limp along for a while longer. Thankyou, my FoF friends for your many prayers, cards, etc. Y'all helped me pull through and I love you all for it. I've got many things to attend to right now, but I'll try to get back here tomorrow. Love and baby bear hugs, Swabby
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 10:58
Swabby,
Good to hear that you have gotten things straightened out again with your heart! :hug: Please be careful and take it easy for awhile...
We were thinking of you while you were off line...and glad to see you back...
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 12:32
Oh Swabby,
I am so glad that all is well and taken care of and now someone needs to take care of you. No cooking or cleaning for a bit. Have them eat frozen TV dinners or canned or fast food. I know fast food is not healthy but try Subway or have them choose healthier things from the menu.:heart:

Hi Randi how is your foul and your sick horse/

Hi Morwin have a good time.

Rose I got your card and Calle's today.I just love getting them. I get as excited as a child. I am the same way about e-cards too.
It is getting colder here too. I hazard to guess that your room looks great. I thought schools in England was great but I guess it all hangs with who makes the laws regarding our schools and our precious children.

Neenime I receive the e-mail chocolate and give one in return. Is St. Nicholas Day the same as Christmas?

Scots if it was not so true it would be hilarious. How was your dinner party?

Cat what happens to the people when the shelters are full? Are you saying they are out in the cold with children too? If that is true that breaks my heart.

MTMS what a field trip. I bet you were very tired. I just laugh at the kids when they say those funny things. My youngest sister when she was three would ask for a picnic when she meant a tooth pick.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 01:25
Just wanted to say:

[size=5]WELCOME BACK!!! [/size]
Swabby. :hug: And thanks for your card. Loved the pic.

A quick hi to everyone and warm hugs.

Take care

Rosie xx
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2006 05:23
Sorry to hear that one of your "babies" is doing poorly, randi. Hopefully the antiboitics will help.

No Child Behind makes me want to Kick The President's Behind, scots. What were they thinking??? I could go on and on, especially about the absurdity of testing my young children as well as how they're tested. NCLB is in reality NTLS for No Teacher Left Sane!!!

Some architecture students at a state university do projects helping build homes for homeless/low income folk for low cost using indeginous materials. Perhaps there's something like that in your area, vicarcat.

I believe that I am going to invite the govenor of Alabama and then the President to spend a week in my classroom, rose. After that experience, I imagine the salary of school teachers would rise dramatically. Bet they wouldn't last 3 straight days!

I'll be wearing my pajamas to school on Thursday, awelyn. We're doing special Christmas activities and capping the day off eating popcorm and watching a movie. Wish I could sneak a LOTR film, though I don't think it would be appropriate for kindergarten children. The animated version of the Hobbit, perhaps???

My heart is relieved to know that your heart is better, swabby! Please be a good patient and do whatever the doctor tells you to do. Santa is watching you know! It's not to late for him to trade in the Salma standee for a stuffed parrot to put under your tree.

~MT~
swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 06:10
Good morning, (at least it is morning here) fine ladies and gentleman of the FoF! Even though the rain is pouring down and the sun is hiding, I feel your radiant warmth!

Thanks again to you all for your many kind thoughts and gestures. Thanks for that BIG welcome, Rosie. Don't worry about me following doctor's orders, MT, for I will surely do that. I am, at this moment, having a breakfast of un-salted egg-substitute omelet with anti-oxidant-rich red bell pepper, onion and 2% cheese. The two strips of turkey bacon and one slice of un-buttered wheat toast really kicks it up a notch.

I'd had no clue that my blood sugar and potassium were screwed up. Thinking back on how weak and tired I've been over the last several years, I now know that I've had these problems for a long time, in addition to a much decreased heart function. I'm also disapointed that no doctor thought to look into it since I've told many of them about my bouts of extreme fatigue and weakness. I used to be quite an energetic and physically strong person, so you may imagine what a psychological "bitter pill" I've had to deal with. Just this last Thanksgiving I fell flat, energy-wise, the day before, and it worried me that I wouldn't be able to cook the Thanksgiving meal for my family. Somehow, I made it.

Thanks for the tip on "Apocalypto", Neenime. I'm usually suspicious of handsome-but-cracked Mel's movies. Violence and gore seem to be his trademark.
I think we're going to go see "Eragon" this Friday afternoon. A story that I strongly suspect was Tolkien-influenced.

I must go now and try to get the one medication I don't yet have. I'm supposed to take "Plavix" to keep my white blood cells from sticking to my stint. Love and hugs to you all, Swabby
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 06:15
Have'nt been by for a while. So had no idea what was going on with you Swabby. Hope everything is now on the mend and you are feeling much better.

Cat: Loved the castle in France. Would love to go over and work on it. What an experience that would be. Also loved the other french site. Wish I could speak french, would love to get one of those sporrans/purses. My heart grieves for homeless people at this time of the year. Especially people with young children. In this age of plenty and especially in prosperous countries like ours, I question why this needs to be, especially when I see the wasteful spending that goes on with governments (do not get me on the soapbox).

Neenime: Have not gone to see Apocolypto yet, but I have heard good reviews about it. My son is taking me so at least I'll have him to cling too during the gory parts (not)! Definitely looking forward to Eragorn at the ringmoot.

Last weekend was a really busy time for me. Did the Elvis concert (backup group), which was sold out both times. Not an Elvis fan, but you do things for friends! Seemed everyone I know had picked that weekend for concerts, parties etc. Definitely a feast, but this week is shaping up to be famine. Ah well!

Randi: Hope your horses will be feeling better shortly. You must be tired and worried. My heart goes out to you.:heart:

Will try and post later this week. Hoping January is not so busy and I can come by more often.
Morwinyoniel
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 07:57
Got here on admin business so, I use the opportunity to say:

Welcome back, Swabby! :hug:

I'm glad you're feeling better, and that the blood sugar and potassium level issues were also found out! Now, just take it easy!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 11:44
Hi everyone

Swabby Welcome back we missed you and were worried. So glad to hear you are sorted but take it easy. I am rather untidy and since Mum is coming on Christmas Eve I have to get the house in shape. When did I get all this stuff?:cry:
There is nowhere to put anything without moving something else. Of course its nice to get gifts but that will be even more stuff - I am seriously thinking of asking people not to get me anything next year and give the money to charity instead. Its not that I don't want to have a good time but I am fortunate that I can get what I want for myself. I will however make an exception if someone wants to give me a Ranger especially if his name begins with A, or E or S I think you get the idea

Don't bother to wrap him - it will save time if you send him 'as is'

Take care all of you

love and hugs

HT:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 12:14
I didn't get to see Eragorn the other day, but do intend to see it. I'm not sure about being LotR related, but it definitely seems to lean heavily towards Ann McCaffrey's books... Dragons of Pern series, of which there are quite a few.

Especially when I read that Eragorn is a farm boy and hatching of dragons eggs and dragon riders. I will reserve my judgement until I have seen it, but the similarlties between Ann McCaffrey's dragon stories and Eragorn are, well, very close.

Eeuuww, swabby. Substitute eggs, now that something my Mum would have been able to talk about. That's what they had over here during the war, along with rationing, etc. But it if's what keeps you going, being careful what you eat, dear. DO IT!! Lol!! No tomatoes and no bananas, either, sailorman. *Very* high in potassium.

Hi Jess. Hi HT:

Not long now until Santa will be popping down chimneys. Wouldn't a Ranger in your stocking just be wonderful, girls.

Take care all

Hugs

Rosie xx
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 04:46
Poking my overfilled head in for a moment.

Swabby, I'm so glad someone finally found out what was going on! Good grief! Low potassium can be a lifethreatening thing. Dang... *slaps past doctors upside the head* Glad they could take care of it with a stent instead of major surgery. You can use a butter substitute like "Smart Choice" or "Benecol" that will make the toast a little less unappetizing. You can do it, my dear. I have confidence.

Rose, Eragon is really neither Tolkien or McCaffrey. Yes, the story has elements of both, but the young author has done an excellent job of taking fantasy components and making them into something unique. My son saw it and was a bit disappointed as it's been changed quite a bit from the book. Still, I want to go and see it myself. I have read both Eragon and Eldest (the 2nd of the trilogy - the last is still in production ) and I highly recommend both of them for dragon and/or fantasy lovers.

To all else, my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are currently snowed in. Daughter's boss made them stay to the end of the day and now she's stuck at a co-worker's house that's closer to the vet's clinic. Hoping that the snow stops tomorrow and they can plow the roads. Son-in-law and granddaughter stuck at home. Good thing she takes formula. Argh...

Miss you all. Take care and have a wonder filled and warm Holiday season!
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 04:52
That breakfast menu doesn't sound too bad, swabby, especially if it means more energy and vitality. Sounds as if your doctor will have a renewed and reforged swabby set loose upon the world in a short bit. I'm all for it! :cheers:

I LOVE castles and french is my favorite language, Jess. I know enough of it to "get by". You and vicarcat have my interests stirred (and not shaken).

I also have a ranger on my Christmas list, HT. I've been a very good girl, so Santa should be generous.:heart: Know what you mean about sending him "as is".:love: The present packaging is very suitable to my tastes.:evil:

I'll take that ranger in my stocking, rose, or my pajamas or my t-shirt. He shouldn't get in my black dress, as it would be too small for him. (I have no shame in my obsession!)

~MT~
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2006 10:05
Ha,ha. MT, you crack me up.
Hiya everyone!
Swabby, so glad you are doing better. The new diet will grow on you and you will feel so much better, so please stick with it. And there are some lovely butter substitiutes so try them out.
Reminds me of how my mum felt so weak for so long and kept breaking bones. It was not until she went into hospital that they discovered the calcium and iron defiencies and diagnosed her with osteoporosis. Duh! Why her doctors couldnt see it is beyond me...we had even asked them about it. Makes me so angry! Anyway, glad you found out your deficiencies Swabbs, so come on...on with the mending and we will have our mighty energetic Swabby back.
I have been keeping up with the threads through ilnesses, happy things, ill pets, and travel (hope you are having fun in Orlando Brandy!). Wishing you all the best through it all. I have just been working to a frenzy and trying to keep up with the season. Finally finished my shopping and have all things posted.
Getting Christmas cards from you has brightened every day. (even through all this extreme dense fog we are having!)
Even with all the rush, I still love Christmas. And even with all the end of year work at work, we are still having some merriment. Singing Christmas carols and wearing santa hats and the wine from the bosses has helped. .
Take care all and Swabby load up on the veggies and fruit too as they are loeded with nutrients. (we cant help but mother you a little as we loves you)

[Edited on 21/12/2006 by callë]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2006 02:05
No Child Left Behind; No Teacher Left Standing; No Psychomatrician Without a Job.

It is all very well intentioned but as with most government policies, very poorly implemented. Most of those involved have either never seen the inside of a classroom or it's been just shy of when the Earth's crust cooled since they had. You would not believe the amount of testing that goes on. So much testing which takes out the time for actual teaching. Rose, remember all those hours and hours spent on state assessments that I moaned to you about? It's only getting worse! :banghead: I'll stay away from that particular subject during the holiday season. Too depressing.

:disco: Our son is home and safely under our roof once more. His girlfriend is *very* pretty and very nice as well. I did ask him whether or not they were engaged. He looked at me and said..."Not yet" Hmmmmmmmmm

Well, must toddle. I have an early morning meeting (NCLB strikes again! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ) and today will be spent just trying to get through the day until this afternoon when holiday cheer are the words of the day. ONE MORE DAY!!!

Hugs to all.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2006 02:49
Ahh... sorry about not posting.

Swabby please stick to your diet! It will help.:love:

The weather has turned warm with the low in the 30*Fs,
but I'm still inside until Nightwatch on thursday...

Yes the homeless who can't get into shelters or don't have a plot at Victory Village out by the airport are on the street even with their children. :cry:

Though there are a few churches who open their doors all night for Christmas and New Years day.... so the homeless have somewhere to stay. :hug:

If the low drops below 20*F then the Portland Police pick up the homeless they find on the street and put them up for the night [or in some cases the weekend] in the Detention Center where they get three hots and a cot. :hug:
And yes the guards do keep the homeless as separate from the criminals as possible...

The city does what it can to help people cope with the cold winter weather but Portland doesn't have the money to expand the Victory Village or they would add another acre or two to the village propper. :hug:

And the Union Gospel Mission's new building is almost finished,
that will almost double their capacity and add 300 more beds for their guests.
Kudos to UGM! :angel: :love:

Well must go take Catnap... :yawn: Will attempt to get that tree photo up later... and to respond to everyones posts.

Happy Winter Solstice! :cheers: :angel:
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email