<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part X
on: February 20, 2007 11:38
Hi y'all! That was interesting, Mith.

Rose, I doubt many people can afford to keep Shires any more. It's a pitty, they are such beautiful creatures. The most popular parade in my area is a Christmas parade on the river but it has gone downhill in recent years.

I still don't seem to have anything interesting to say, so I'll shut up for now. Take care, everybody!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 20, 2007 12:14
I just found a site with some information and pictures of my village. It's here:

http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/towns/taddington.php

There is a slideshow button on the side with eight pictures of the area including the remains of a chambered tomb like Theodred's.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: February 20, 2007 06:29
cirdaneth your village is so picturesque. How lovely for you to live there.I loved the pictures.

Hello Celebrian, okay what is a shire? I thought it was the home of the Hobbit or is it a horse of sorts?

Mith ,that was a great quiz. We need to find or create a ME one. Here is a hug right back at you.

I am so glad your ankle is getting better and glad you survived your daughter's sleep over, Morwin.

Rose I love parades too. I think a LOTR would be great for a parade. The pancakes sounded yummy.

MTMS,I listened to both of your Mardi Gras call and they made me smile. My daughter went to a Mardi Gras party tonight with some beads. She was so excited she said it is her first Mardi Gras party. Your crab hats sounded very unique and funny.

VicarCat thanks for the tip . It really helped with that word.

Hello Neenime. :wave:

Belle after the play I would be interested in being a mod.

I am sorry if I forgot anyone. Have a good night or whatever.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2007 09:11
Awelyn, this is a shire horse,
http://www.equine-world.co.uk/about_horses/shire_horse.htm
They are gorgeous.
I second you for being a mod. What a brilliant idea! who more fair and considerate and genuine!
Cirdaneth. Your village is luvverly! How gorgeous and ...shire like! That tomb is really cool, it is much like Theodred's, isnt it?
Did you see the news bit yesterday on BBC about the LOTR play? It wont be long now, June in London. I dont think I will be able to afford to see it though. But it looked really good.
Rose, I love parades too, but you're right, not enough of them anymore. Oh, and I like JD as well:heart:
Celebrian, HI! I just pop in as well. Its good to hear from you.
Mith, that was interesting. I like quizzes , and yes a good LOTR one would be fun.
Morwin, my daughter used to have sleepovers every other weekend. Exhausting!
Well, A good day to you all.

[Edited on 21/2/2007 by callë]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 03:31
Belated Happy Mardi Gras to all. I wonder how one would say that in Elvish? Will need to find the words for "fat Tuesday". Hmmm, that's for the advanced class in cross-cultural studies, I think.

I am pleased to report that our doggie is on the mend. It turned out to be a nasty allergic reaction that not only hurt her ears (scabby and tender), her eye (the white of one was swollen right out past the iris) but also gave her nasty bowel inflammation.

We think she got into some spicy sauce for Vietnamese egg rolls on Friday night. We gave her an anti-histamine but it dodn;t do much. Then I made it worse by giving her ibuprofen for pain, which is very hard on the tummy. A coated ASA would have been better. Poor wee thing!

She was crazy-agitated-itchy Friday night. There I was in my pj's giving her a shower with special anti-itch shampoo at 3 o'clock in the flippin' morning! And she was in and out and in and out of doors all night for 2 nights! Like having a baby with colic again.

Anyway, it's medication and a bland diet for 2 weeks. She is already much better as of yesterday. Thank goodness!
We were scared that shge was seriously ill and thta we had harmed her. Lesson learned. But I DO need to find a book on basic First Aid for Dogs. You can get medication info for babies all over the place, but with pets it's harder, unless you are willing to wake a vet up at 3 AM. ANy suggestions?

I was glad to see that Morwin's ankle is on the mend. Not glad to see that Scots' back is acting up. I do hope it gets better soon.

Well, my party day approaches. Two more days to work and then I'm off to celebrate and to dance and eat and droink with friends. Please join me in spirit on Saturday evenign, any time after 7:30 PM EST. I will hoist a glass to honour our friendship.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Virtuelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 01:46
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=397824637&size=l
I was going to embed a smaller one in here but cant get the link they give to work.
That is near my house today. We were having a freezing fog this morning and the kids had the day off school. Pretty for pics but not fun for driving.
For some reason it made me think of Rivendell and the river Bruinen. Yes I know its to tiny to be a river Blame it on the fog and dreamy qualiy of the woods. And one to many of chapters from my favorite fan fic atm. Mellon Chronicles That is what I thought you were asking about Brandywine. Rose let me know if I am in the wrong linking to them. I will edit it out.

Wow I am few days behind so I took time to read to catch up, and wow this thread moves fast.
You all seem to need hugs and are such a great group.

Brandywine ~ hope your doing better and your husband too.
Balrog ~ thanks for the welcome.
Vicarcat ~ that pic was stunning. How is your house moving goiing?
Miththoilel ~thanks for the Feng Shui Horoscope It was fun to do.
Scotts ~ hope your doing better, I slipped on the ice yesterday and tore up my knee. So I feel for you.

cirdaneth ~ thanks for the link to the Tolkien Soc.
Rose ~ thanks for the info on the movie.
Neenime ~ glad to hear about your dog.
Morwinyoniel ~ glad your ankle is better.
BelleBayard ~ awelyn ~ callë ~ HT ~ MinasTirithMS ~ Old_Tom_Bombadil ~

:angel: You all have been great in making me feel welcome. Thank you. :heart:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 03:46
Cirdaneth-I must plead ignorance of some of the names of the photos on the site you linked to of your village in the Peaks. I have a few questions. What is a 'tor' as in Raven's Tor? and What is cum as in Water Cum Jolly? I am unfamiliar with these phrases or words. I love UK English. It's so delightfully full of interesting words. American English, which I speak, is a bit less colorful in good ways and a bit more colorful in bad ways, if you get my drift.
I could listen to you Brits talk all day and have a list of words that would be new. I don't even want to write down any new American words.

Thank you all for the good wishes. I am doing better and so is my husband.

Did I mention that my 20 year old, unmarried daughter is pregnant. Not planning to get married either. This is not the best way to start off life. Ah! Well! Nothing I can do about it now and she is an adult. I just want her to be happy and healthy. Of course we will love her and the baby just to pieces.:heart: She has already chosen names.

Thank you all again and I'll say goodbye now as I've run out of things to say. Be happy and know that you are all appreciated and loved. :love:
Brandywine
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 05:25
Alas, another very short Post from the PoG. Well, maybe you don't mind that my posts are short.

Had a wee bit of a scare tonight. The spousal unit uses Netscape as a browser and it crashed our computer for some unknown reason. All I could do was wipe it clean and start anew. :cry: For some reason though, I didn't lose my files. I was SO scared that I would lose my pictures from our trip to Idaho this summer to meet up with Brandywine and Shireling. But the healing hands of our favorite ranger were with me, and there...poof!...were my files all intact along with all the start up junk that comes with the computer. So after some deleting stuff and poking around, we're back to "normal." Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I had asked my son about Netscape and what could possibly be wrong with it, and he said something about the browser Firefox. He said it was better than Internet Explorer which I use. Any thoughts on that? Do any of you know about it?

MT: I thought of you Tuesday as I was sitting in my assessment meeting porking away on chocolate. Our curriculum director..who is a hoot by the way...had all her favorite candies for us since it was Fat Tuesday. I have the "Fat" down to an art unfortunately.

The back is stable at the moment. Last night was not good though. All the walking I did today seemed to help and it doesn't hurt as much tonight. I'm really trying to avoid the doctor's office though. Visions of MRIs and long needles stuck in my spine again just don't appeal to me.

Now the kids...they are another matter altogether. The weather has turned to the nicer the past couple of days, and our kids are just NUTS! The science teacher just cracked me up after our last class of the day. When the hallway cleared, she sank down to the floor in front of her door, curled into a fetal position and wailed, "Make them all go away!" It was just so indicative of how all of our classes were going. It felt so good to have a kindred spirit. I thought I was alone in the trouble with the little toe-rags. Man, do they ever need to get out and run. Either that or we need a good 2 or 3 day break due to snow. The forecasters are saying anywhere from 3 to 18 inches here. They just don't know. Do the snow dance for me! I'm hoping for 18 inches. When she was laying on the floor, one of the kids came out from another classroom, and the three of us that were out there told him, "See what you do to intelligent adults!?" Maybe it was a "You had to be there" kind of a moment. Made me laugh at any rate. I just love the team that I work with. The kids too really. They just need to be able to get out and get some exercise.

Well, the post isn't as short as I thought it would be. I really must get back to the last of my correcting so that I can hit the showers and then bed.

Take good care all!
Scots

[Edited on 22/2/2007 by scots56]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 12:44
What is a 'tor' as in Raven's Tor? and What is cum as in Water Cum Jolly?

Tor has roots in both Celtic and Latin languages and must, I guess, go way back to ancient Indo-European speech. It describes a hill that is a rocky height, usually giving a good view. It is related to the words tower and turret. Amon Sul/Weathertop is a tor, but Amon Hen is probably not. It is wooded almost to the top. Nen Hithoel, in Anduin at the top of the falls is a rock, but inaccessible, so it wouldn't be a tor either, probably a crag/craig, or what Tolkien call s a carrock. The Carrock in The Hobbit is only accessble because of the carved steps.

As for Water-cum-Jolly ... cum is a legacy of Roman Britain and means combined with. There are a number of English villages with such names. Beaumont-cum-Mose springs to mind. But W-c-J is a bit of a mystery. I can't find anything about its origin. It is a bend on a river with a huge undercut rock wall popular with climbers. It may have been named by them combining Anglo-Roman-French elements. They call the rock Rubicon Wall or Lammergeyer Wall and there are dozens of "routes" on it, each named by the first ascender. Serious rock-climbers are a quirky bunch and like jokey names. If I turn up anything else I'll let you know.

I could listen to you Brits talk all day and have a list of words that would be new.

Ask away, Brandy, if there's anything needs clarifying. I'm sure one of us will be able to check it out.

Like you I don't know whether to congratulate or comiserate about your daughter, but one's childrens' life-decisions are often baffling. I just remind myself that "Even the Wise cannot see all ends." Who knows what paths this little person may tread, or what doings may be stirred in the passing. :hug:

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 02:48
Virtuelle, if you want to embed an image from Flickr in your post, copy the picture's URL, and paste it into your posts between [img] and [/ img] tags (just remove any spaces). Like this:

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/353952049_abb61689bd_m.jpg[ /img]

Leaving the space out from the closing tag, it will show up as:

HTML is disabled in posts so, the HTML code they give is of no use here.

Scots, I use Firefox as the default browser at home, and have been very content with it. Some Windows related functions don't work in it, but on the other hand, it lacks the security problems that bother Explorer.

Hey, we'll have to start Chapter XI soon!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 03:56
Scots, I use Firefox and I agree with Morwin there are some window related functions that don't work but on the whole it is just great. I hope you get your wish and have time off for you and your students.
I am glad your back is not giving you trouble at the moment.Take care.

Morwin , we will have to start another one soon. We are so talkative .

cirdaneth those pictures were just amazing and you give such sound advice.

Brandy, I am glad both you and your husband are doing better and I know you are torn with the situation with your daughter or at least I would be if I was in your shoes. But your love for your daughter will carry you through.

Hi Virtuelle

Neenime, have a great party. How is Jess?

Calle that is a pretty horse it reminds me of our American Clydesdale's. Thank you for the vote of confidence. I hope something happens for you to get extra cash to go and see the LOTR 's play. Have a great day.

Hullo Rosie, and HT,Balrog,Jess,Mag, and CAt and Mith,MTMS, Belle and anyone that I left out
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email