Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty ~ Part X
on: February 13, 2007 09:54
Hi everyone from the land of snow, sleet, freezing rain...just pick one. See that pink band on the Weather Channel? That's us!!!! Just shoveled the drive way for fun and exercise......YES! It's a SNOW DAY!!!!

Cirdaneth, loved your poem! It definitely has the sound of Errantry!

Hi everyone new! I too am a teacher...high school English. I'm 49, have a DH and a red tabby cat. When I get time, I write and you can fin d my pitiful scribblings at Henneth-Annuin. My other interests are power-walking, weight loss, amateur meteorology, and travel.

Did anyone see where Stephen King's son has written a book that supposedly is very good? Joe Hill is his pen name.

Sindy

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 12:47
Thank you all for your kind words about my poem. I've just edited a typo I noticed. The word 'free' should be 'freed' The implication is that the elven souls are not just free, but have been freed. Only Eru could have authorised that, so take care of your inner elf. It has a history and may still have baggage to sort out. It has chosen you for a reason.

Mith. I am so sorry about your daughter's baby. Hugs and prayers ... Cirdaneth
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 06:35
Just a quick post to wish you all a Happy Valentines Day..:heart::heart::heart: Hope that it is wonderful and that you get to spend it with your loved ones! Lots of hugs to everyone!
Please stay warm and safe!
Randi
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 07:20
Hey everyone,
I can't resist the temptation to brag. Our little high school team did win the right to go to the state championships tonite. The game was a really good one against a team that we had once beaten and once been beaten by. We led the entire game. Our players handled the ball like they had glue on their hands or magnets attracting the ball to them. The whole town (or so it seemed) turned out for the game and the high school students really had their cheering on. I was so proud of the way they were so respectful too, not booing or being loud when the other team was shooting a foul shot. When the game was over the whole student body surrounded the team and jumped up and down as one unit. It was hilarious and so much fun. It did my heart good to see them all come together after so many years of not having a winning team.

Well, that said I would like to express my sorrow for your daughter Mith. It must be hard to lose a child, even one that you have not yet held. I have never given birth, my kids are adopted, so I can only imagine the pain. I will keep her in my prayers.

Favorite Saint? I am not Catholic nor does my religion have any Saints but I am rather fond of Saint Christopher as the Patron Saint of Travelers. I have traveled a lot and used to have a Saint Christopher medal even though I didn't have it as part of my religious ideaology. I think it's very nice to have a Saint on your side. Kind of like having an angel on your shoulder. Sounds very nice indeed. What are some other Saints besides the ones that have been mentioned? I'm afraid I know of no other.
Sindarinelvish-I'm sorry you had to have so much exercise only to get another load of the white, fluffy stuff. Hope all is well with you in other areas (power still on, groceries still available.)

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

See you later,
Brandywine

[Edited on 15/2/2007 by brandywine]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 10:10
Mith give your daughter a hug for me if you will...
I lost a daughter through a miscarriage in '96,
along with the ability to have more children..
It still gets to me sometimes.

Cirdaneth... Lovely poem,
have been working with my inner Elf since I was 4.

Sorry about being gone so long... it was just packing and working.

I wish Swabby hadn't left...
but I don't feel right about being called names
because I was quietly packing boxes for the move
rather then posting on global warming.

I think everyone here except Virtue...?* knows that
Silverleaf and I have electric bikes rather then a car.
That is our way of dealing with air pollution
and peak oil in the same swat!
Oh and recycling like mad but we have always recycled...
I never did get over the rag rug fad.

*OK I'm not sure how to spell your name...
but I remember it looked like Virtue
with a few more letters to me...

As an update I'm 45 and Silverleaf is 65
and our black cat Minky is 7...
We are both Clergy except Minky who is the Abbey-Cat...

Silverleafs children (Nicky, David, and Ian)
and some of his grandchildren
have graduated from college... (Nickys' kids);
with 2 [I think] still being teenagers (David's kids);
not sure about Ian's kids....
Nicky is 45, David is 38, Ian is 34...
Patrick is 23 and Roshell is 25 [I think],
not sure about the rest of the grandkids...
as I have gotten David's and Ian's kids mixed up
with my nieces and nephews again.
We have betweenthe lot of us at least two Sarahs, two Roshells,
two Davids, and four Annes... and two Michaels...
one Patrick Michaael and one David Michael,
All between the ages of 5 and 25...
And that is the grandchildren not the children or siblings...
Too much packing so can't think to do math well tonight...

Has been in the 50s*F here for the highs... rain and sun both.
Missed Marti Gras as was working...

I am keeping everyone in my prayers. Even if I can't spell your names!
:hug: :love: :angel: :blush: :blush: :wave:
Must pack more bags...
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 12:39
Hope everyone has a lovely Valentine's Day. :love:

Cirdaneth, words eh!! Do you know, I never read it that Radagast was taken in by Saruman. Doesn't it make for an interesting world, that we all percieve things differently. Did I mention I loved your poem, btw and aren't typos just a pain in the proverbial. Lol!! We are such a talented little group. Have you all been and voted in the Inter Realm Contest?

Here's the link again. Link

Hi Randi: Right back atchya, dear. :hug:

Oh, Mith, I am so sorry about your daughter's loss. That must be hard. I hope her sorrow and wounds heal quickly and I'll keep her and you in my thoughts and prayers.

It is good to see you back though and yes it was a bit sad about Swabby, but his choice.

Hi Sindy: Not really a Stephen King fan. Is his son's book of the same ilk? I like the name Joe Hill though, sounds all manly doesn't it. Lol!!

Well done your HS team, brandy WTG!!!! *round of applause*.

I must retract the point I made in my earlier post about St Christopher. See, you learn something everyday. Because brandy mentioned him, I went and checked on the web. Apparently, he is still a saint, it was misinformation by the *cough* media *cough* Lol!! Well there's a surprise!! It appears that when there was a clear out of Saints in the Liturgical Calendar, some were removed as being considered 'mythical' and some, and their days, were made a little less important.

Unfortunately, poor St Christopher got lumped in with the saints that were to get the boot, when, in actual fact, he just had his importance reduced some.

I love the image of him carrying the Christ Child. :love:

Hi Cat. Good to see you. Ooooooh rag rugs. I remember making one as a child and I crocheted one too. Wow, that's quite a family you have there.

It must be great to have a big family. My ex's side of the tree is large, as is my significant other's. As said earlier, I just have the two children, with no offspring from them. I only had one sister, whom I have not seen or spoken to for 7 years, one niece, one nephew, same applying to them. All other relatives have gone into the West. Sorry if that sounded a bit low. Not intended to be, honest.

Well, I think I have chatted enough for now. Hugs to everyone and take care. :hug:

Rose xxx

:wave:

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 03:12
This is going to be just a really quick post as I have to be gone in about 10 minutes to school.

The PoG got some weather Monday night. It took me 70 minutes to drive the usually 30 minute drive. Lots of ice and snow packed conditions. Ick. Conferences went well though.

I survived my evaluation yesterday. We had a late start due to the weather and in consequence shortened periods. My principal was very kind in saying that she loved being in my room, and that my groupings that I've done are working wonderfully well. Yay. At least that's one less stressor for me. I think I'll keep my job at any rate. LOL

Happy Valentine's Day to you all! I haven't even had the time to get the e-cards out. I don't think I've been on line to check anything in the last two or three days. Someday my life will slow down. Yeah, right. Like that's gonna happen.

Keep warm all. I think all the warmth has gone out of the PoG. -4 here at the mo' with a balmy -19 wind-chill. Gee, can I break out the shorts and t-shirts????

TTFN
Scots
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 03:42
A Great Big Valentine's Hug to each one of you. And a big box of Virtual Chocolates (it's zero carbs and zero calories, you know)!

I appreciate you all so much and only wish that I had more time to spend with you.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I was sorry to see that your daughter has lost her baby, Mith . And my heart goes out to you, too, Cat and any of you who ave experienced a similar loss. May you find comfort in the love of family and friends.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 04:00
Just a quick note to say that Rose you are very amazing with the colorful little additions you add to your posts. You'll have to teach me to do that.

And a hearty You Go Girl! to Scots :disco: on the good eval. Glad you made it through both the lousy weather conditions and the eval.

I am sitting here posting in wet fingernails. I painted them red for Valentine's Day. I was pondering a post someone put up earlier about Tolkein borrowing from religion to add character to some of his characters. I think all writer's do that, subconciously. It would be hard not to because religious and mythical figures are so much ingrained in our minds from education both at home and in the schools. I once took a literature class in high school with a teacher who was very gifted at finding the allegorical (and other) connections made by authors in their writings. It was a good class and I have looked at writing differently ever since. There is of course the borrowing of the good vs. evil theme in all literature. I am glad that the example is good triumphs in the end. Hope it always will.
Big hugs and lots of kisses to go 'round.
Brandy
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 04:10
:love: :love: :love: Happy Valentines day everyone!

Scots that is so cold. I just would not even begin to know how to drive in that kind of weather. I am glad your evaluation went well.Do you feel like Na-nuke of the north? Bundle up and drink lovely warm drinks.

Rose loved the graphics. I am sorry about your lost relationship. I have been there before and understand. You have a good day. Isn't the inter -realm contest fun. I liked your poem.

I am with Rose go read the poems they are so nice and we have almost all the realms involved in the contest. I know you are all busy but when you have the time have a look.

Welcome back Cat and I am sorry about your loss of a baby years ago. It must have been a terrible loss for you. It is great that you have your husband's kids to share. Keep warm. Do you like your new place better?

Brandywine Congratulation! It is great when the underdog wins and in your case the whole town goes wild. What a boost for your school. You have the right to be proud.

Hugs to you Randi, How close are you to Mith? She hopes close enough for a visit. You stay well and warm my friend.

cirdaneth I did not even catch the typo but sometimes the emotion of a poem carries me away a bit. My granddaughter called me yesterday and said Grammy we are having a wizard blizzard. I said oh does it look like when Gandalf and the fellowship were on the mountain and it was snowing hard. She said yes so it is a wizard blizzard she is 8.

Sindy oh my goodness what weather you are having. Interesting about Stephen King's son. I am not a fan of his because his stories scare me.

Mith, I am so glad you are back. Did you get my pm? Have a good day. I will call you when I get your phone number.

MTMS, thank you for my card. You have fun with Mardi Gras. I can't eat a moonpie without thinking of you now.

Hello Calle :wave: and HT and Balrog and Belle, Morwin and anyone else I missed.

BTW, Morwin how is your ankle coming along?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 04:25
Thanks for the lovely card, awelyn! Hope everyone has a good Valentine's Day. Off to the mines of Mordor! LOL... Take care, all my FoF!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 06:34
Today, I had the first control of my ankle at the hospital. The stitches were removed, the cast replaced with a much lighter one, and the ankle was x-rayed. It has healed the way it should so now, I can carefully start putting weight on the foot. In three weeks, I should be able to walk normally.

Mith, I'm sorry for your daughter's loss. My first pregnancy also ended in a miscarriage so, I can relate to her sorrow. Give her a hug for me. et:

Otherwise, Happy Valentine's Day, everybody! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 07:43
Happy Valentine's Day! Hope you all have a great one filled with love and a bit of romance and/or what makes you happy. :heart::love::heart:

Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes for my daughter. This is the second baby she has lost and she is taking it quite hard.

I sent you my phone number, Awelyn. Let me know if you did not get it. Are you still rehearsing the play?

Morwin, it is good your ankle is healing properly. May you soon be up and running, well walking normal even.

Sindy, did you get lots of snow with the storm that just went through? When I feel a bit homesick, I think of the weather there. They showed Cleveland on the news and it was rather nasty there although nothing like the accumulations NY was receiving. Not good weather for viewing the night sky!

Cat, you were in my dream last night only you were younger. (Don't we all wish that.) You had short brown hair, dressed in a nun's habit and you were tending your garden but I knew it was you. The night before I had a delicious Viggo dream. (If only we could have those every night, right, MT?) I was talking with Viggo about how we could stay in touch! Now while I would not have minded a bit more action, was thrilled to wake up with such pleasant thoughts. Any dream analysis for those, Neenime?

Waited most of the day yesterday on the cable company. We had called several times and this was their third trip to fix our cable. Felt like my patience was wearing a bit thin when they finally showed up. Anyhow, found out the guy was an avid LOTR fan who had read the books and seen the movies many times as well as collecting LOTR memorabilia. What a wonderful surprise....and it actually made the wait worthwhile to meet a fellow Tolkien fan out of the blue.

On that positive note, will close with a warm welcome to any newcomers here. And heartfelt wishes for you all. :heart::love: :hug:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 09:53
Happy Valentine's Day!

:heart::love::heart:

Hope you've all had a day of mutual appreciation and cuddles.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 04:43
Loved your poem, cirdaneth, and finding out what the hobbits were up to. Thanks for sharing.

Will send you some beads, randi, because there will be PLENTY to share. Mardi Gras lasts for weeks and ends on Ash Wednesday-the begining of the lenten season. So you see, Mardi Gras is a religious rite (yeah, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Proud of your team, brandywine. Hope they're proud of their accomplishments.

I think that God smiles when we laugh, HT. I know He has a sense of humor. I see it in some of the things that happen to me and/or others at times.

Thanks for missing me, Rose. :hug: Just doesn't feel right when I'm away for "too long."

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter's baby, mith. I can't think of anything more hurtful than loosing a child. I pray God's comfort and peace for both of you. May you feel His strong arms around you,encompassing you with His love.

Read about the Joe Hill book, Sindy. It's supposed to be better than his dad's work. Pretty creepy,too.

Congrats on the good evaluation, scots. Know that it's a relief to have it done. I've got one more observation in my round of evaluations for the year. Crossing my fingers it'll be done soon.

Glad to hear that you're healing well, morwin. May the good news continue and you get and stay back on your feet.

Have you heard of microwaving a deluxe moonpie and then placing ice cream on top?? It's a special southern treat, awelyn, that we Mardi Gras queens eat during this time of the year. Gotta be the ones from Chatanoga (moonpies, not queens) to be the absolute best!!

I'm heading off to bed and trying to conjure up dreams of a handsome ranger, like mith. Here I come, Ara-baby.:heart::heart::heart:

~MT~
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 06:30
Hi everyone.

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!:heart::heart::heart::love::love::love::love::heart::heart:

I wish my life would have a happy return but right now it's in turmoil. :cry:

Spent the last two days trying to find another job. Might have to go back to my old boss and beg for my job back. But there will be a stipulation: NO DELI! I refuse to work there. No word on the other job that was offered. I guess I will have to phone the lady and find out what is going on with it.

Had the best three days on the weekend. I volunteered for the curling that Safeway sponsors here in Canada. I got to meet old friends and see a few new ones. I also got to see my team win. They go on to the Brier next in Hamilton, Ontario.

Weather here has been up and down like a toilet seat. Right now we are having half decent weather until the wind picks up.

You all talked about the places in the movies/books that made you cry: Well it made e cry just picturing these shots in the movies.

I cried the last 1 1/2 hours of the movie in RoTK. It started when Frodo told Sam to go home when they were on the hidden stairs. But I think it was in FoTR when Frodo got stabbed in the Mines of Moria. I thought he was dead. That was before I read the books. I didn't know what happened. This was the first time I heard of LoTR. Since then I have read them three times and still cry on que when it calls for it.

Mith: Sorry to hear that your daughter had a miscarriage. I, too, had one before my daughter was born. I was worried if I would be able to have any more children. As it turns out, I became pregnant 4 months after with my daughter. I call her my love child because she was made from love. Her father passed away 9 months later from surgery complications.

Congrats, Brandywine, on the win for your town. I bet it was a blast!!!!!!!!!! :disco:

Virtuele: Welcome. A little about myself. I am single; live with my best friend of 24 years (just friends) for the past 4 years; 2 children: 1 of each, son 26 YO, daughter 20 next month. Always looking for that job that satisfies, been here on this site for 3 years, belong to an RP forum with a few friends from this forum, writing my own story about the life of one of my characters.

Well, I too, am sad to see swabby leave.:cry::cry: but it is everyone's opinion to say what we want without hurting anyones feelings. I read the posts. Some make me angry but then you read the next one and it will either make me cry or laugh. So one way or another I forget about the one that makes me angry. It's the way life makes it. I don't care if the post makes me angry, it's that person's opinion. Weren't we taught to respect everyone's opinion?
Anyway, this post is getting longer by the minute. I will say my farwells :wave: And all see you in the funny papers.

Namárië
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 09:13
I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's day
Mith, I am so sorry about your daughters baby. May God comfort you and her through this. :hug:
Hiya Balrog! Ugh, job matters can be very unpleasant cants they precious?
Welcome back Vicarcat. Glad you survived the packing and moving. It takes me forever to pack as I start looking through old treasures and photos.
This is short as time doesnt permit more
Have a wonderful day everyone I am thinking about you all.:heart:
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 09:41
Sigh I am hoping for warmer weather this next week...
still in the old apartment and want to be in the new one.
Have been doing laundry and packing the clean clothes and linens,

And yes I have a large family...
now if I could get the kids to come by and visit their Dad!
Perhaps the new apartment will be good enough
for them to show up occasionally...???
My Dad doesn't like the old one either...
but he has the sense to invite us to his place...
He just swings by the apartment rings the buzzer and says
"Come On lets get this show on the road!" I gotta love 'im.
And Scott is so busy he just has Dad pick us up and we go
to Scott's place to watch football...
Still haven't told him that Silverleaf hates football.

Balrog I'm praying for you, your job, and that you get the call...

Morwin glad to hear your healing well...

Ah Mith, the whole world is my garden...
and I'm forever pulling weeds from the cracks in the paths!

Rose did you dream of Vallinor when you wrote that poem?

Virtuele oh is that how you spell it? :blush: :wave:

OK who did I miss this time?:blush::heart::heart::heart::cheers:

Oh two questions just because I am curious...
1. Can a Human become an Angel?
[and]
2. Can a Human become an Elf?
These take into account the fact that both parents are Human...

Myself I figure that to become an Angel you have to have at least one parent who is an Angel and the same goes for becoming an Elf...
[Yes I am doing a parity aka reality check again!]

Ohh... forgot to mention Silverleaf got me a new coffee mug!
It is in several shades of blue and has a patchwork pattern on it!
Yeah and it's shaped like a Hobbit mug too!
I was so far gone this morning that...
when I went to get my morning coffee
I asked him whose cup that was sitting in my cups spot!
I AM DENSE! I've been packing boxes way way too long...
so I sit here taking a break typing and eating sherbet!

Happy Valentines Day!:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: !!!!!

cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 14, 2007 11:10
Oh Balrog! What sadness there has been among us, with our lost loves, our lost babies and the long-ago homes that seemed so secure. My heart aches for everyone ... but it aches more for those who have never known such sorrow. They have it yet to come. None of us gets off scot-free.

Having said that, it's good to know that ankles are healing, evaluations are positive and that the best team won the game! That must have been very exciting.

Sit down and have a cuppa, Cat! ... and pleeeeeeze! can somebody tell me ... what is a moonpie?
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 12:26
OK last time I had a Moon-Pie I got it from a store in Oregon,
and here is what it looked like:
On the inside a thin cookie with marshmallow cream filling
covered by a thin shell of chocolate about 5 inches across
and 2 inches thick...
and it always had a caramel like sauce between the cookie
and the marshmallow cream...
Every time the chocolate would melt before I could finish it.

Not sure of the East Coast Moon-Pies are the same...
if not someone please give a proper description of one.

And yes I have been taking breaks and having a cuppa
in my new blue cup...
It has been getting a taste of everything I've been drinking
so far coffee, then tea, ginger ale, berry tea and tonic water.
Hmm that makes only 2 clear drinks and 3 dark ones...
need to fill cup with plain filtered water before bed.

It is after 2 am here so must catnap soon! :yawn: :hug:

Please pray for Lilla she is having a hard time now
her Mom is still very sick and her Dad is worried to :cry:
Thanks!

[Edited on 15/2/2007 by vicarcat]
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 05:00
On the inside a thin cookie with marshmallow cream filling covered by a thin shell of chocolate about 5 inches across and 2 inches thick...
and it always had a caramel like sauce between the cookie
and the marshmallow cream...
Every time the chocolate would melt before I could finish it.

OOoh! I want one. We have something similar but much smaller. About 2 inches across. A cookie with a dome of marshmallow on top covered in choc. No caramel though :cry:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 10:18
Hi everyone

Mith So Sorry about your daughter it must be very hard for her.

Balrog I hope you find another job soon.

Hope you all had a good Valentine's day.

Tolkien didn't tell us much about the other wizards did he?

Did they have colours as well I wonder?

If so would they be bright colours like yellow and red or neutral shades - Ethan the Ecru anyone? Tobias the Tan? or perhaps they were even more indecisive - Let's hear it for Marvin the Slightly Mauve!

Perhaps they were on the reserves' bench in case the others got injured or sent off - I don't think the referee was paying attention when Saruman started misbehaving!

Take care all

love and hugs

HT:heart:

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 10:39
Just talked with my daughter and she seems to be in better spirits. Thanks again for all of your prayers and well wishes. I relayed many of your sentiments to her and that seemed to help as well. :heart: There doesn't seem to be much support out there for things like that and not many people talk about it unless you bring it up.

Sorry to hear you are going through a trying time, Balrog. Hope you get a job you really like.

That is an interesting thought about the wizards, HT. Aren't they referred to as the blue wizards? Does that mean they were blue and what was different about them? Could be interesting material for fan fiction.

MT, hope you had some luck conjuring that dream Ranger. :drool: Wouldn't it be nice if we could dream those dreams every night? But then perhaps we do and just don't remember them.

Good luck with your packing and move, Callë. Can sympathize as I've done that more times than I care to remember.

Had a good Valentine's Day. Hubby surprised me with a basket of flowers and a card. He passed up the chocolate since we are both trying to lose some weight. What a dear....all these years of intensive training are paying off....just being silly here but is somewhat true.

Love and hugs and a good day to you all. :heart::love: :hug:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 01:28
There is a good essay on The Istari in UT. Many of Tolkien's ideas on them remained pretty fluid, but it's interesting nonetheless. Tolkien's technique of "adjusting" his mythology retrospectively might have born fascinating fruit if he had only been able to do it consistently.

I didn't see a soul all day yesterday until 10pm when Tesco's delivered my groceries. Tomorrow would have been Calar's 65th birthday. I shall raise a glass.

Have just ordered a new TTT EE, as the first one wore out Those of you on the Aragorn thread will know why. NOTE: Opening that thread at the present time may cause your computer to catch fire.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 05:24
Mith, that was great talking to you last night. I am glad your daughter is doing better.

I went to work feeling a little off today. By the time I got home from work I had 101. fever. It is done to 100 now but I feel so lousy. My daughter is coming this weekend for a visit her and her family. My house is a wreck but I am going to take it easy.

Rudy is on the family channel to night. Sean Astin looks so young.

Hi HT and cirdaneth in southeast Mo. A moonpie is a sweet concoction that comes in 2 sizes fun size (small) and the original size about the size of my palm. It has graham crackers with marshmallow filling, no carmel here and it has either chocolate or banana topping. A sort of frosting. MTMS could tell you more. They use to throw them to the crowds at Mardi Gras before beads.

Vicar Cat you keep such late hours. I guess I am to old to do that anymore. It has really been cold here but it is suppose to warm up next week.

Calle I had a nice Valentines, My husband gave me a sweet card and candy. We got take out and went home because we had had the fancy dinner the night before because we thought he would not be home. I am having to find homes for my mom-in-laws cats. She has 8 and we took one. There are almost wild and I am trying to tame them somewhat. 3 are long haired Manx cats two are brindle and 1 a yellow striped Manx. They are beautiful.

For those of you who voted in the inter-realm poetry contest thank you.

Morwin I am glad your ankle is healing and that you have a lighter cast.

MTMS, no I have not but will tell my husband and we will try that. He loves moonpies better than I do/ Sweet dreams.

Balrog I am so sorry you are having trouble with work. I think jobs can be so stressful.

Your welcome Belle.

Goodnight FOF and hello Neenime and Brandywine and Sindy and Virtuelle,Rose,Mag and anyone else I missed.

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2007 07:09
I have a question I would like to ask and I hope none of you can answer it, but if you can I'd be pleased to hear from you by way of a PM. I am not looking for sorrow or sympathy either. I don't want anyone to feel bad for me. However, a few prayers might not hurt. With that said, her is my question-How do you deal with a spouse who is an alcoholic who won't get help? My husband never intended to drink and should never have because alcoholism runs in his family (big time) but he was introduced to it about 15 years ago as a remedy for a very bad cold and has had bouts with it ever since. Recently it has taken a turn for the worse and he is drunk for about 2 days every 2 weeks. The rest of the time he is fine. When he is drunk he is not abusive he's unconcious, sound asleep and absolutely worthless to me as a mate. I am at my wit's end. I cry, I threaten, I get angry, I'd like to smack him one. How do you deal with this? What can you do? Is there a way to find peace?
I hope I don't sound like a big baby but I really do need advice if anyone has ever experienced this sort of thing.

Enough of the gloomies. We had a windy, rainy day here in Idaho. The rain has gone, I think, but the wind is blowing a bit more warmly I think. That's good. We teachers have a conference to attend tomorrow and then we have a three day weekend thanks to Presidents Lincoln and Washington. The break will be nice and I won't have to clean house while my sister-in-law visits, I can just have fun with her. She is recently widowed and though she is my husband's sister she and I have always been close. We are going to see the movie The Queen and go out to dinner and shop.

Enough of me already. Hope everyone is well and happy and that wounds are healing, homes being made better and jobs found. Good Luck and Love to my Tolkein family.

Wishing I lived in ME,
Brandywine
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 01:19
Late hours yes between working night shift three nights a week,
and packing for the move so I am up rather late these days...
Silverleaf is in bed by 11pm... but tends to wake
when I open the front door. He is a bit of a worry wart.

I think three of those Maiar have been MIA in Mordor
since they went East during the Second Age.
Will look it up on the morrow.

Cirdaneth when I read what You wrote of Calar
A vision of this image popped in front of my eyes... as though it was real.
And I have the feeling that he is never far from you.

(Rose please set it up so the link works! As html is turned off... meowf.)

:hug: for everyone!:love:

[Done, Cat. ]

[Edited on 16/2/2007 by Rosearialelven]
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:18
Just a quick post.

Good to hear your daughter is coping, Mith

Much Hugs to you brandy in your troubles. Take care, pet.

A happy birthday to Calar, tomorrow Cirdaneth.

Glad your ankle is on the mend, Morwin.

*passes virtual chicken broth to awelyn* Nasssty bugsesss. Keep warm and, omg, Rudy!!!! I love that film. Hope you are soon feeling better. Hugs.

Blue wizards they are, HT. Pallando and Alatar. Alatar was the wizard sent to ME to sort out Sauron and his evil doings. Pallando was his friend. No one knows what happened to them. Although there was speculation that they went into the eastern lands and ......

And yes, they are a good subject for RPing. Aren't they balrog We are writing about them in our RP 'The Reunion'.

Prayers for all those who are in need of them, some already mentioned here and your request, Cat.

I was indeed in Valinor, Cat when I wrote that poem. :love:

Love the picture, btw. Reminds me of a picture my Mum used to tell me about that hung in her house as a child. A picture of an angel rising up to heaven with a figure of a woman in his arms. Underneath, Mum says there were lines from an Elizabeth Barratt Browning poem:

"Guess now who holds thee? "--"Death,"I said. But, there,
the silver answer rang,--"Not Death, but Love."

Always made me have an intake of breath. *sigh*

Take care everyone. Hugest hugs.

:heart:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:20
Thank you Cat and Rose ... thank you so much. That picture is beautiful and comforting. The threads of her dress, the dark tresses and the broken harp-strings trailing links to the other reality, bringing them together.

His arm and shoulder are very like. These two have a beauty that Calar and I never had, of course, but their relationship has echoes. Because of his disabilities it was I who must make the "music" and let him rest on me.

Meanwhile I'm trying to write a PM for you Brandy. It might take a while. I'm thinking. It's a slow business. You can hear the cogwheels scraping and clonking right up the street. Hang on in there.

:hug::hug: to everyone.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:36
Greetings, all. Suilannen achen.

Lots to respond to, I see.

Morwin I am glad that your ankle is getting stronger. I hope that means you can spend more time visitng with us.

Awelyn so sorry that the bug has grabbed you. get some rest and let your immine system fight it off.

Balrog oh my! That sound like a lot of stress. But I KNOW you'll get work again, You're obviously a hard worker and likely have an excellent reputation with your former boss. Keep the faith.

Mith- glad that your daughter is doing a bit better. I imagine things will be up and down while her heart heals from this loss.

A Viggo dream is a beautiful thing and I won't mess with it. Just enjoy! I would .

COngrats on the great evaluation, Scots. As if there were ANY doubt?! Pshawwww.

The new mug story made me smile, Cat. I'm like that, too and a new cup or plate etc just makes the food experience a little better. It's probably a good thing that we can findpleasure and even comfort in small things. Lord knows the world gives us enough reasons to seek comfort!

I am enjoying the latest edition of Amon Hen ,newsletter of the Tolkien Society. There is a particularly good article on the pivotal role played by Araorgn throughout the latter history of the ring. Aside from his more heroic deeds, he set or kept things in motion at crucial times, all throughout the trilogy. He took over Gandalf's role in Bree, saved the Hobbits in Bree and Weathertop, again assumed leadership after Moria and other incidents were noted. I am quite enjoying my membership in the TS so far.

It's Friday and my big party is only 1 week away.:disco: I hope you will dance, eat and imbibe with me, at least in spirit.

I was having little conniptions over the apparent requirement by my church hall to get liability isurance if I served alcohol. It was going to cost me a minimum of $150! Well that's more than the wine, liquor license and most of the food costs, for goodness' sake! I persisted in clarfying it with the board and it turns out this insurance is not necessary. Whew!

Well, I am grateful that my problems are so very insignificant. Blessings to all of you. :angel:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:44
Brandy I hope you don't mind me saying this here instead of a pm. I just wondered if you have tried Al-anon. I think that is how you spell it. It is like AA but it is for the families of alcoholics. It helps you deal with the feelings you have and helps you to know exactly what to do. It is very private and almost every town has a chapter. Look in your phone book or go on line to find the nearest one. You are in my prayers,hang in there and I understand my brother is a alcoholic.

Cat that is the most beautiful painting. It just took my breath away and such symbolism. Thank you for sharing it.

Rose thank you. I did eat chicken soup last night. My fever is gone but my stomach is cramping. I wish I could stay home. I can't because if you do when there is a holiday on Monday and if you are sick on Friday you lose both days. School system policy. I will stay in my office and not do visits just paperwork. So, it won't be to bad. I love Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I read her in college and she was one of my favorites.

Have a great Friday.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 03:51
Brandy, Awelyn took the words right out of my mouth, so I won't send a PM, unless you wanted to talk in more detail.

The awful thing about living someone who has an addiction, is that the people around them bear much of the consequences. They blame themselves, they try to reduce the strain on the addicted person (thinking this will reduce the need for drinking), they cover up for them, etc. It won;t work. The drinker needs to take responsibility for his/her own poor choices (whether deliberate or accidental) and get the right kind of help.

Al-Anon would help you to free yourself psychologically. They used to talk about "detaching, with love". It really works- for you. And that's the key thing. Hoping that YOU can do something to make him/her/them change is a false hope.

Bless you, Woman and please attend a meeting soon or at least do some related reading. We're all wishing you well here.:heart:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 04:11
Ditto to the others' posts, brandy. I DID pm you as I have seen this sooo much in my life as a Corpsman and nurse.

vicarcat, that picture is absolutely gorgeous! Where did you find it? How wonderful that you shared it with us for cirdaneth.

balrog, employment woes are really a pain. Here's hoping you find a decent job.

mith, so sorry to hear about your daughter's loss. To be so close to giving life and then losing it is perhaps harder than miscarrying early in the pregnancy. Big hugs to you both.

To all others... This place helps keep me sane when real life is trying to drag me down. Without Tolkien and the friends here, it would be a much grayer world. Thank you. :heart:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 05:33
Ive never had dealings with Alanon but ... "Detaching with love" ... so that's what they call it. I guess that's what I did when I'd figured it out. I've just sent Brandy a PM. :hug:

My three top techniques were....

He is entitled to drink himself to death ... but I am not obliged to watch. Quietly leave the room (but not the house) when the bottles come out and find something else to do. Concentrate on it and enjoy it.

Let off steam by quietly pulling faces and making signs when you've closed the door and cannot be seen. It harms nobody and may even make you chuckle.

Don't wake him when it's time for bed. Leave him to get cold and make his own way.

Neenime: I too enjoyed the Amon Hen article on Aragorn. I love the full colour cover on this issue too. Hobbits (Frodo and Sam?) in the snow, toasting sausages over a fire with potatoes roasting in the embers. I wanna be there.

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2007 07:50
Happy Friday to you all. Hubby only worked half a day today and has the weekend off. He should start the long hours next week.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, Awelyn. It was so lovely and easy talking with you. Felt like I've known you for much longer. Will send some prayers and chicken soup your way.

Will keep you in my prayers as well, Brandy. I may pm you later when I have more computer time as hubby is waiting for me to finish. Not that I have the perfect solution but unfortunately had personal experience in that area.

Watched TTT last night and the dvd was sticking in some parts. Not bad yet, but may have to replace mine as well, Cirdaneth. What would we do without them, lol.

... This place helps keep me sane when real life is trying to drag me down. Without Tolkien and the friends here, it would be a much grayer world. Thank you. :heart:
It's like you read my mind, Belle. I am so thankful for Tolkien and FOF friends.

Will try and check in between feeding the always hungry hobbit here this weekend. Take care and hope you all enjoy your weekend. :heart::love: :hug:
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email