Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans over Forty ~ Part XI
on: February 22, 2007 04:05
Goodness... Part eleven already! Betcha Ranger Norlin never suspected we'd get this far. The only other thread to on so long is the Christian Thread (and I've been hesitant to break it up because it's one huge thread).

I'm done with school for a bit, so should have more time to devote to here and Tolkien in general.

Later, all my FoF friends.

[Edited on 2/22/2007 by BelleBayard]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XI
on: February 22, 2007 07:40
Heavens to Hobbits! Here we go again, another incarnation of our thread. That's lovely!

I am glad to see that those of you in difficulty are on the mend or trying to be. My hat is off to you Brandy for your resilience and to Scots for your recovery.

The fetal-position teacher sounds drastic. Tell her to just keep brathing. "This, too shall pass."

Interesting sidepoint - that expression apparently was meant in a different way altogther than the idea of a difficulty ending. Apparently it oiriginated with King Solomon, who had it engraved on his ring. He was gazing at the grand work of his temple and either he or some wise man was reminded, with humility, that "This, too , shall pass."

Here endeth the lesson.

Cool photo, Virtuelle . Snow and ice make for fascinating shapes. The forest looks eerie. I expect Orcs to come bounding out of the bushes.

I second the opinion on Firefox . It is a far superior browser. My husband changed over our friend's computer and it stopped crashing from all the junk that Internet Explorer was picking up. Netscape had similar problems and we ditched that a long time ago. Mozilla Firefox is easy to install with a free download here . I think you'll be pleased with it, Scots .

I miss Swabby Just had to say it, even though I disagree with his method of taking umbrage. Ah well. Perhaps he will think the better of it and rejoin us some day.

[Edited on 22/2/2007 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Virtuelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 08:51
LOL Neenime, and here I was picturing Elves not orcs. The birds were calling and the brook was merrily gurgling. It was very peaceful and dream like. I was standing there taking the pic and thinkng how neat it would be if the Last Homely House was hidden in the fog. I may diddle arround with my Wacom tablet and see what I can create. Thinking of orc's just gives me shivers. LOL

Morwinyoniel. Thank you, I should have known that. Smacks head.
I will show the taller pic if I do it right .
**tries again**
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 09:23
Hi everyone

Brandy I have a niece who is 29 and pregnant - the man has been married before (or possibly still is) and already has kids. He is also unemployed and perhaps is in this country illegally. Niece has been married before when she was 20 for about 6 months so not perhaps making the best choice of men. That said we will all be there for her even if her parents both disapprove of the boyfriend. I imagine whatever happens with your daughter you will love your Grandchild. My mum who is 86 is both despairing but excited at the prospect of her first great granddaughter (we know its going to be a girl).

Hope everyone is doing OK them, their kids, dogs, horses computers etc.

Love and hugs to everyone

HT:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 10:25
Wow the eleventh page of FoF. Wtg us.

Lovely, lovely pic Virtuelle.

Belle, Ranger Norlin was on CoE, either earlier today, or yesterday, he posted in the Discuss the Books Forum. I bet he would be surprised at his thread going so strongly.

Good to hear you back is not giving you too much pain, scots.

Hi HT and Neenime.

Laters. :hug:

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 12:46
In the few months I’ve been posting to this site you have become like dear friends so I hope you don’t mind me posting about Calar’s life. I desperately need to get it told to clear my head, … and his later years will explain a lot about me. Some of the questions you asked me when I joined, that I couldn’t bring myself to answer. I’ll do it in three chunks over the next day or two. I hope you understand.

Calar (my lamp) was born in Glasgow in 1942 into a warm and loving family. His father had joined the Highland Light Infantry and been moved to “5th Para” also called the Army Air Corps and eventually the Special Air Service (SAS). He later served in Italy.

Calar was a responsive baby … he smiled and hugged, but he hated being watched. His mother worried when he made no attempt to crawl … then suddenly one day he stood up and climbed onto the sofa. Within days he was found half way up a curtain, (typical Scottish town-house window 12ft high!) It was the same with speech. Not a word then suddenly whole sentences, and a million questions, but his family was full of eccentrics, so nobody minded. All his life Calar would work things out in advance and then get on with it quietly and alone. (except fatherhood which required a cooperative ally) :blush:

By the time he was three Calar was climbing out of upper windows, running along the tops of high walls and generally scaring the daylights out of his Mum and his older sister. He calmed down when he went to school, but didn’t make friends. He was enrolled in the Scouts to cure his shyness and enjoyed it, but after one summer camp he took to spending weekends alone in a little tent on the camp-ground. He said he felt very content there.

His mother consulted the doctor about Calar’s moods. “Artistic temperament!” said Mum afterwards “He just needs some extra schooling.” Calar was enrolled in Glasgow School Of Art for Saturday morning classes. He was taken out of school at 15 and his father told him he was to be a shipwright. He took an apprenticeship at Yarrow’s Shipyard, on the Clyde, building frigates for the British Navy. His desire to be a fashion designer was declared “sissy”. No more art. I have his technical drawings though, and they are beautiful.

Calar was still moody. One minute he was over-excited and wanting to join in everything, and the next minute he would “switch his face off” as his sister described it. (Years later I found this very scary until I got used to it). Nevertheless, he found a girl-friend, and through her he seemed to make a few friends at last. When he was 19 his Mum produced another sister. “My Mum had a little baby, so I wanted one too” he said. So the girl-friend became pregnant and they married at 19. When the apprenticeship ended Calar was laid off. The industry was in decline. There would be no work in the shipyards. He never drew again either. Calar was now 22 and father of two children. What would he do?

To be continued. I feel a bit better already, just getting the facts down and knowing someone will read them (unless I’ve bored you all to tears.) :hug:
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 01:43
Not bored at all, cirdaneth. Looking forward to reading more. My Dad was born in Beith, Gateside, Ayrshire and had relatives in Glasgow.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 01:55
:cheers: 3 cheers for us. Here we go again.:heart:

cirdaneth bored to tears,you have got to be kidding. I was so caught up in your true life story I hung on every word.. I can't wait for tomorrow so I can read more.

Belle, I noticed Ranger Norlin was on COE too. I think he would be surprised at the longevity of this thread.

Hi HT,I guess when you love someone conventions can get in the way but if your love is unconditional it will not matter. I am glad your niece has the support of a loving family.

Virtuelle, I adore that photo. But I picture orcs in the fog also. Fog does that for me. I never feel peaceful in fog. It must be all those Jack the Ripper stories.

Neenime , I think we all miss Swabby. I to hope later on he unruffles his feathers and drops by and says hello to his friends.
I have felt like that teacher when my kids were teenagers and I was teaching them to drive. That was a horrid experience and I ended up taking tranquilizers. They were very mild and I took one a day 30 minutes before my kids got off the bus. After they got their driving license, I did not need the tranquilizers.

Belle, I am glad you will be here more. We miss you.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 02:17
:rolling: Boy, another 600+ posts. We are a chatty bunch, now aren't we?

I'm now working with Firefox, and so far so good. But I suppose that 15 minutes isn't really a good test of time, now is it? LOL I was pleased that it imported all of my IE favorites. It's a bit different from IE in the set up, but it seems pretty user-friendly.

There seems to be a storm a brewin' and heading towards the PoG. Brandy, has it hit you yet? It looked as though it was plowing right over you. I'm personally doing the snow dance because I could use a couple of days of forced no school or school activities. We may get a couple of days off this week due to State Basketball championships. It seems that both our girls and boys are headed that way. They were talking about the seeds and had this big sheet of paper showing who knows what as far as who will go where and play when during our 7th grade team meeting this morning. I went a little cross-eyed and just quietly prayed for them to win so I can have a couple of days off. Spring fever is hitting me oh, so hard!

Well, I must away and hit the books. Those papers aren't getting graded by themselves! Hope this finds you all well, and Cirdaneth, your story could never be boring. We truly appreciate that you are taking the leap of faith and sharing it with us. Blessings to you.
Scots

MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 04:03
Nice of you to think of me, scots. I had each of you in mind as I watched parades, caught beads and moonpies and danced as the marching bands strode past me. We would've had a parade on the sidelines if the FoF'ers had been gathered there.

I am absorbed by Calar's story, cirdaneth. Can't wait to hear more!

There's a residental deveolpment very close to me that's named Aryshire, rose. Now I know from whence it comes.

I miss swabby too!

Tried to give you a Mardi Gras shout, awelyn, but you never were home at parade time.

Love and hugs to all FoF's.

MT
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 05:13
Well, so much for good New Year resolutions. Did I not say that I was going to post every day? So slap me silly, beat me over the head with a spoon! I'm issueing mega mea culpas. :sob: Looks like I've been missing out lots on the goings on.

I've kind of been emotionally down over the past couple of weeks. My son in Aus. who has been through the ringer over the past couple of months had his truck broken into and all his business and band equipment, including a custom made guitar valued at $70,000 was stolen and guess what? The insurance company is using a little clause to deny the claim. Neenime when you said that insurance companies are the robber barons of our time, oh you were so right. Also having some major problems with my ex. I'm crying a river, but I'm woman and I WILL survive!!! Albeit, emotionally drained. Definitely needing to have a good time at Neenime's 50th tomorrow night!! Anyway time to put this behind me.

Virtuelle: Absolutely loved that photo. It is so ethreal. I love the woods and forests in a mist. Me, well I was just waiting for the elves with their lamps to walk towards me. Just like Sam and Frodo saw them on the way to the ford. Beautiful.

MT: So glad you had a good time at the parades. What is a moonpie?

Have not yet read Calar's story, but I am going to get round to doing it.

Swabby: I too will miss the old sailor. I hope he comes back to us soon. We all have the right to freedom of speech and we will all never totally agree on some things. But we have to celebrate our differences and our right to voice them. Should not interfere with the fact that we respect and care for each other.

Well gotta go give my beef stew a stir and make some herb dumplings. Then its off to mail a letter. Have a good day everyone.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 05:33
I agree with jess about your picture Virtuelle. Someone with a blue lantern should appear through the trees. The central part has some lovely pinky-lavender tones from the twigs of the trees.

Jess, I'm sorry you're down :hug: and I'm sorry there's trouble for your family. I agree about insurers. See Part X for moon-pie discussion.

I've written some more about Calar, and will post it later. Don't want to hog the stage. Off to do ironing now.

Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 06:37
Wow, another thread for us FOF!

Happy Birthday, Neenime! Hope your day is special and your party lots of fun.

Got some wonderful pics from MT....Ara-baby is decked out in beads and ready to party.

Loved the photo, Virtuelle. But I agree with Awelyn...in real life fog is a bit unsettling. Maybe since one cannot see what else may be in or outside of the fog.

Cirdaneth, please continue your story. I'm looking forward to the next part.

Life has been busy here. We rented a bedroom out to a guy who works with hubby. A very respectful, quiet young man. It is just for while we are here in TX...about 2 months. Should work out well as he is on night shift. Have not introduced him to Ara-baby yet. He's watched the LOTR movies, but just wait until he is he for awhile, lol!

Well have to make some copies and run some errands to be back in time for yet another appointment with the cable company this afternoon.

Have a great day, my friends. Love and hugs! :heart::love: :hug:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 07:36
Here’s the 2nd instalment on Calar. I’m glad I’m not boring you.

It was 1964 and with the shipyards in decline there were more people than jobs on Clydeside. For a few months Calar took what he could get, but realised he needed to move south. He was intelligent. There were Civil Service jobs, so Calar applied and leaving his wife and bairns, in Glasgow for a while, went to London. After training and exams and learning to drive Calar had a job which gave him work clothing, tied accommodation, and a regular though rather basic income and pension. It was shift-work, but he was used to that, and he did get to drive some nice cars. He sent for his family, and although his marriage did not last, the job was his for the next 27 years. This was thanks in part to the compassion of his employers, because a couple of years into the job something very strange happened.

Sometime in 1967 (I think) in the course of his work, Calar and a colleague were waiting outside a shop when Calar’s world “froze” as he put it later. Suddenly he didn’t know who he was … or where … or why. He started to shake and felt faint. His colleague helped him to a bench and sent for help. The feeling passed quite quickly but Calar was badly shaken. He thought it might be drink. He was young, and Scottish, and had been out the night before. Nevertheless he saw his kindly Irish doctor who said “No need for a shrink. I reckon you’ve got agoraphobia. He signed Calar off work and prescribed Valium. These pills dominated his life for the next 12 years.

Calar was off work for a year. He just sat at home sleeping, drinking and watching TV. His wife worked, so he also cooked, cleaned and ironed, being a very domesticated soul. He didn’t go out. “After all” he told himself “agoraphobics don’t go out.” After a year his employers found him an indoor job which mostly involved the telephone, though he still got to drive nice cars sometimes. His Valium prescription was renewed automatically and by 1979 he had never discussed the matter again with his doc. Things were not good at home though.

Calar was a punctual and good employee he was never inebriated at work, but at home he simply drank or slept. He helped in the house but left all admin tasks to his wife. He was generous with money, even when he didn’t have any, which caused problems at times. (I remember being angry once because he had overspent his credit card … so he bought me an expensive present to apologise. Using the card of course!!!)

In 1974 I arrived in London, from the remote Scottish Highlands, where I had been running an independent hostel for mountaineers and back-packers. My husband had left three years earlier and the lease on the premises expired. I was homeless, penniless and looking for a job.

I stayed initially with a girl-friend in Walthamstow, but contacted other friends one of whom was a mountaineer we’ll call DT. He was a colleague of Calar’s but his line of work took him away for all but 6 days a month and it would be good if his place was occupied. Thus I found myself in Earls Court, living next door to Calar. I worked 9to5 so rarely saw him, but I got to know Mrs Calar and the children, and a whole raft of relatives who visited from Scotland.

Early in 1979, in need of socks from Mrs C’s mail-order catalogue, I had no response to my knock and realised I hadn’t heard her footsteps for some time. Mrs Calar had gone.

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 01:06
Oh... real life drama... I'm having a hard time waiting for Calar part 3!

In the meantime I have a note to pass...

Orcs (and elves) needed in London for April 17th...

Message #57558 Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:14 pm

"Cat Devereaux"
catdevereaux

I'm forwarding this from Costume Gather since not many of our UK
folks are on that list. Sorry for the double post. But this sounds
a good call for our resources. -Cat-

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
marielprosser
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [LR_Cos_Gather] Orcs (and elves) needed in London for April
17th

Passing along a message, in case anyone here is interested -
~ MithLuin

Mark Griffin on LivingHistory.co.uk said:

"Anyone out there an LOTR fanatic and have really good orc or elf
costumes. I don't mean 'can you cobble something together' either, I
mean you must already have it and look bloomin fine to boot.

Tolkien's new book is out on 17th April and I'm running the theming
and entertainment for the launch parties. One is a sort of
recreation of the Inn at Bree and I need a few characters to meet
and greet and do some scmoozing. The chance to see Orcs stuffing
down canapes and elderflower champagne is too good to miss. If you
know anyone who is mad, can get to west london for the late
afternoon/evening of the 17th then let me know...

Sorry, have plenty of humans, hobbits (Samwise Walton...) and elves
etc."

http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7549

Please feel free to pass this along to any other Tolkien-ish forums
you may frequent. Anyone who thinks they fit the bill would be best
to get in touch with Mark Griffin direct, either via the thread on
the Living History forum or via the contact details on his webpage:
http://www.griffinhistorical.com/undercon/Page_1x.html

Not sure if they still need people, but I just got it today so I figured I'd post it here...

Wish I could make it to London... sigh dreaming again.
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 02:59
Hi All,
Hope evryone is well.

Scots, I commiserate with your orkling problems. Mine are insane also and we had two snow days last week! It's midterm time and suddenly TODAY they all remembered they were students and needed to make up missing work.

Cirdaneth, I love the pictures of your village especially the river which I think looks like the Bruinen near Rivendell. I am fascinated with Calar's story. Please continue!

For those of you who've been goading me, I am working on more Aragorn stories. He's currently in Moria being hunted by orcs after trying to investigating strangers traveling through Itlilien.

Has anyone seen Bridge to Teribithia yet? I have high hopes. I'm also hoping Children of Hurin is a great read.

Philosophical question: why do Girl Scout cookies arrive at the beginning of Lent? (By the way, if your area is selling the sugar free brownie bites, they are excellent---but contain malitol. BEWARE!)

Virtuelle, we had freezing fog also. It was ethereal the way it rose from the snow into the air, like dry ice melting. Of course, the drivers totally ignored both the fog and the freezing part. Have SUV; will drive like a fool!

Have a lovely, late winter weekend!

Sindy

SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 05:29
Suilad, myfriends. Glad I am to be visiting with you. It's been an intersting week! First the dog was very ill, but she's recovering. Then I had to come into work after hours to counsel a distressed young foreign student who had just had just broekn off with his fiancee in Europe (well, she did the breaking) Poor gu- a realloner and had all of his hopes set on beiong saved by this woman.

Then yesterday #3 son loost his wallet and we are knee-deep in bureaucracy trying to get his ID replaced.

Today, all was going well until my boys went to the East Indian restaurant to get our take out meal. The right front wheel came off the car!!! Fortunately they were just pulling into a parking spot. Had tey been in the highway, I shudder to think what would have happened.

It took the tow-truck fellow half an hour to decide how to get the car onto the flatbed without doing more damage to the fenders!

OK, I am reay for some good luck now. Having said that, I am grateful that all my problems are little ones compared to what some of you are facing. My thoughts with all of you whose family members are troubled. :hug: So, I still consider this a good day.

I've had calls and cards from people I hardly ever see. I am very touched. And my "barbarian, sloppy, ungrateful" children conspired to buy me the most wonderful set of candle-holders. They are very medieval looking! I have awesome kids! And I told them so.

Cirdaneth I am enjoying the story. Oh how I wish the doctors had known about anxiety treatments in those days. Valium was the answer for everything in those days!

Alrighty - off to read the pre-quel to the Shannara series. It's called First King of Shannara. A good read!
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 06:42
Happy Birthday Neenime! I wish you birthday blessings. I hope you had a grand party. I know Jess sounded like she needed a party. What a week you had . You need a party as well so it is good it is your birthday a reason to celebrate.

Sindy, It always seemed like I went on a diet just when the girl scout cookies came in too. We have been having spring like weather . It has been lovely.

Cat, how interesting. It would be fun that's for sure to dress as a Elf.

I am so engrossed with the story. I can't wait for tomorrow's episode. You are a great story teller, cirdaneth.

Hi Mith how is Texas. Well that might be nice for you to have some extra money with your boarder. I hope it works out for you.Oh I would like to see those pics too. MTMS is so funny. She cracks me up.

Oh Jess, I am so sorry that you are having a hard time. I hope things look up for you and your son soon. Have a good time at Neenime's party.

MTMS, I heard you on my call notes. I told all my friends that I got 2 calls from Mardi Gras from a dear friend. I am glad you had a good time. My husband eats moon pies every day. I am so tired. Yesterday I lost my voice. I could only squeak. It was very frustrating.

Scots we are suppose to get rain tomorrow. I hope not I am so tired of rain. I really like firefox. I need to go to bed myself. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Hi Randi .How are you?

vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 10:26
Sorry about the short post earlier...
had work and a revel to go to.

Happy Birthday Neenime!
Hope you get a truck load of good luck!

That foggy photo makes me thing of Tom Bombadil
leading the Hobbits to his house after the incounter
with Oldman Willow.
I keep expecting to see both Elves and Hobbits in it.

Cirdaneth lovely photos...

Awelyn glad to hear you got that word right in the script.

MTMS have you photos of Marti Gras? I missed it due to work.

So much has gone on in folks lives....
that I shall just pass out Hugs to everyone,
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: !!!!!

Still waiting on an apartment to open up at Housing Northwest... sigh.
Found a site in Beaverton to store our furniture at $118 a month.
It is secure indoor storage which is good...
as I don't want my oak chests out in the rain.

The revel was good even if I was a bit late getting there...
All my period garb was packed so I wore my new Elven tunic
with pants, chemise, blue knit dress, and blue sleeves...
will post photos when I get them in the email.

David Michaels 63rd Birthday Party is tomorrow night
so will post after that... We will all be a Rocky's Pizza from 7 pm on.

Wish I had 40 acres I'd get some of those Shires to train as a team
for the wagon... Yes I am a frustrated Gypsy these days.

OK I know I missed people again... so much goes on in so little time.

TGIF an hour late...
Hope everyones weekend is great!:love::cheers::hug::angel::angel::angel:
callë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 11:48
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEENIME!! After all that craziness of the past week you do deserve a good day. Enjoy it and my wishes for many more to come. :cheers:
Vicarcat, I was going to happily mention to you that London would be full of orcs and elves that weekend but when I checked the Ring-con news, they have moved it from 14-16 April until November. I am so looking forward to it, but I am supposed to temporarily move back to the states around Sept. Looks like i better start saving my coins for a flight back in November. I wish I wouldnt have to leave here at all, as even for a short time will break my heart. Whoa is me! I feel like why do all these problems happen to me?..but then, I read of all your problems and life challenges and realise that there are so many things we all face. Good thing we can gain some strength from Frodo's journey.
Jess, things can only look up for your son. Seems he's been through so much lately and you as well. Hope you can put it aside and have a brilliant time at Neenime's.
That foggy photo makes me envision elves dwelling in that mystical, magical forest. Telling tales by the lantern light and having song and dance in the mist. Can I join them??
Neenime I am also happy to hear your doggy is recovering. :heart:
Cirdaneth, Calars life story is very fascinating. We are anxiously waiting the next chapter...
Its finally Saturday and a fine day it is. Going to walk the doggys down to the little corner pet shop and let them choose a few treats. Its a lovely little shop owned by a lovely elderly couple who are most kind. Many of us doggy people meet there on occasion whilst on our walkies. The doggys have a moment to sniff and be social and then choose a few treats to proudly take home. Then, I think a drive to Stafford for a little shopping. Must find a nice rugby shirt. My daughter and I (she works with me on occasion as a temp) have been invited by the boss to Nottingham next Saturday for a rugby game. 14 of us from the office are going and we have seats in the box. Good seats, free food, drink and a good fun time. Cant wait! Doesnt matter that I dont know a thing about rugby. We are all riding the train. Should be great fun!
Do have a lovely day my friends, and Neenime party like a hobbit and have a brilliant time! :cheers:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 02:03
Happy Birthday to Neenime! :cheers: Hope you'll have a great day, after all the setbacks during the week!

Jess, lots of :hug: to you, now you really need some.

Cirdaneth, I've read Calar's story with great interest; it's the everyday drama like that that life is made of. He really didn't have an easy life.

Next week, the rest of the family will go back to work and school again, and that means waking up early for me as well. But, on the other hand, I can start putting full weight on the injured leg, which makes my life easier.

Have a good weekend, everybody!
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 05:49
Cirdaneth-Your story of Calar is truly beautiful and captivating. It's very well written, please continue. True life stories are so inspiring.

Neenime-Sorry I missed your birthday. I'd forget my own if someone didn't remind me. Happy days to you and may they continue to get better and better Oh and thank goodness your sons are OK.

Jess-so sorry about your son and his lousy insurance company. Maybe you can find a way around their claws (oops I mean clause). Luckily our insurance company has always been helpful and responsive and fulfilled all of our claims.

To all whom I didn't mention thank you for being here and being the wonderful people you are. You have each left your footprints on my heart as you have touched my life.

Brandywine

cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 07:52
Ooops! Neenime, looks like the gremlins have been targetting you. Hope you had a alovely birthday nevertheless. Hope everyone else is bearing up :hug:

Calar's story may take a little longer than I thought, but not much I hope. I have called my stepdaughter Lossie, short for an elvish name meaning "hidden flower" (If I've got it right). Here's the 3rd part.

My need for socks was occasioned by a plan to leave London. DT was getting serious about a girl-friend out of town somewhere. Time to move on. I applied to be a bird-warden in an isolated spot, and was waiting hopefully for interview. Worried about Mrs Calar, I popped a note through the door asking if she was ill, and could I be of any help. The kids were there. Calar took me out for a drink and explained that Mrs C had left … with someone else … and that he didn’t blame her because he was a rotten husband. He was coping fine, he said. After that I didn’t see him for weeks.

Spring Bank Holiday Monday 1979. End of May. 8:30am bright and sunny. Calar’s 15yr old daughter Lossie at my door. “Can you come and help. Daddy can’t stand up!” Understatement! He had been asleep on the sofa for 24 hours without changing position, or going to the loo. She was worried. The phone rang, and Calar sprang into frantic movement, gasping, limbs jerking. He fell onto the floor. She was terrified and ran for me. I found him crawling about mumbling, and hallucinating, his pulse fluttering like a bird. He was like an injured dog. He bit me. He fought. Lossie called the ambulance and I kept him alive until they came. I stood outside looking back into the hall as they carried him out. Lossie was sitting on the stairs. Déjà vu! In 1958 my neighbour had stood outside as my father was carried from the house and I was the girl on the stairs. I looked at Lossie and I could swear my heart left my chest. From that moment I would have protected her with my life. I still would.

Calar was unconscious for a week. He had been about 20 minutes from death. He had malnutrition and pneumonia from self-neglect. He had swallowed all the alcohol and pills he could find … Valium, Mogodon, Tryptizol. Mrs C came to the hospital. “I can’t come back!” “No” I said “This would not be a good reason.” I promised to keep an eye on Lossie. Her brother being 17 and semi-feral was rarely visible. Mrs C’s sister and Calar’s Mum came down from Glasgow and between us we cleaned the house and got things sorted. Calar’s employers sent him to convalesce for four months, after which he took Lossie up north for a holiday. I missed them very badly.

So I didn’t leave London after all. DT married his lady. I left work and Calar got us moved to a nicer flat in Richmond. Two days after we moved in I collapsed with sarcoidosis (very nasty) and was on steroids for a year. My weight shot up so fast it was like seeing myself disappear. Calar and Lossie looked after me. I had never been so cosseted. I started to recover. Calar had grown on me, despite (or because of) his odd behaviour. It fascinated me. I stopped expecting my ex to want me back, divorced him and when Calar was free we married, and were moved to a real house. … and Lossie found a partner!

Back in 1967 Calar did not have agoraphobia. He had two things wrong with him, both congenital and it was 1988 before the first one was discovered, though not the one that caused the odd behaviour. That came later.

Our usual high-street optician spotted a problem with Calar’s right eye, a limited lateral movement, and referred him to our doctor. There were tests and suggestions of terrible things, MS? … MND? … myasthenia gravis … a tumour? They did an MRI scan, and there in the inaccessible centre of Calar’s brain was a cyst. It could not be removed. It could not be drained. It had been slowly growing all his life and would continue to do so. At the moment it was the size of a golf-ball. No, they couldn’t say what would happen next except that he wouldn’t have fits, yes he was OK to drive … and yes, it would kill him. Between 5 and 20 years. It took 15.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 01:04
Ow Ouch... no wonder Calar had problems...
I would too with one of those in my head.
Oh and what exactly is sarcoidosis?
I know curiosity killed the cat...
Still how can I comiserate when I don't understand?

Hope the weekend is going well...:hug::angel::love::hug::angel::love:

Pizza was good and had a talk with Timberwolf at Nightwatch
after the party was over.
So much to get done and will meet with Lilla a 3pm on Sunday
rather then Saturday as usual...

Well that is all for now.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 04:43
Here you go, Cat! For the best understanding, read the whole article. http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/sarcoidosis.html
It was severe and very unpleasant, but a long time ago.

I'm going to give Calar's story a little rest so that other people can get a word in edgways! The rest is both tragedy and triumph. I'm proud of him. Thank you all for your interest. :hug: More in a day or two if you still want it.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 08:18
Oh my Goddess, cirdaneth! How awful! Poor thing. And for you to get sarcoidosis! Yikes! Some people don't get over it. I'm glad you did. We appreciate you sharing Calar's life with us and the trust it shows. Back in those days medicine wasn't what it is today, but still, the brain is a wonder and remains poorly understood.

Been talking Tolkien with my hubby, though he just shakes his head. I believe that there's a primal consciousness that some people can tap into. Some paint, some write, some compose music, but it's all linked to this ancient memory and somewhat collective mind that we all share. Yes, we are different and yes we have conflicts over things, but there is definitely a connectivity between humans and the world around them. If only we would listen with more than our ears. With our hearts and our souls.

Iluvatar's music still plays, even though many turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to the colors it paints. I've learned to look for beauty in the most unlikely places.

Thank you, my friends, for being here.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 08:33
Suilad, my friends. I am so glad to find you all here. Gen hannon o guren! I thank you from my heart for your greetings on my special day. More than that, I am grateful for the gift of your presence , your sharing of personal stories, your humour, your patience and our shared love of all things Middle Earth.l

Oh, Belle your words are so beautiful!
Iluvatar's music still plays, even though many turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to the colors it paints. I've learned to look for beauty in the most unlikely places.

I think this is exactly what Tolkien's work has touched in me. Thanks for saying it so well.

The party was great fun last night. We chatted, ate and sipped wine together. Chick dancing is the greatest! (for the uninitiated - it's women dancing , usually free-style to rock'n'roll, as opposed to the more stately and sedate ballroom style. I do love the latter, but the former is much more conducive to stress release.

Jess maybe you and your son can do that via Skype Put on a great tune and have a conference dance to shake those ORcs of bad luck out of your lives! :disco:

Hubby and I cooked like fiends yesterday and the East Indian Butter Chicken was a great hit. Between that, the lasagna, fruit and veg trays, we won;t have to cook for a few days!

Today, my hips are creaky and hurting from all that time spent on my feet, so hubby and I are taking a long, easy day off. Breakfast and reading in bed. Ahhhhh the good life!

Morwin I am glad that your ankle continues to improve. Do be gentle with it.

Cat, I hope your apartment become available soon. Your outfit sounds really nice and I hope we can see photos soon.

Cirdaneth it seems that you and Calar came into each others' lives for a reason. What an amazing story. Please continue. And may telling us bring you peace and integration of all that it stirs up in you.
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 12:02
..... If only we would listen with more than our ears. With our hearts and our souls.

So true, Belle and you stated this all so beautifully. Is that even a word? Anyhow, love how you said it all, especially the part about listening with our hearts and souls and looking for beauty in unlikely places.

[Edited on 1/3/2007 by Miththoliel]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 12:23

I love that thought as well, belle and neenime. Those with eyes to see the beauty have a more spectacular world and a more joyful heart!

Thanks for sharing Calar's story, cirdaneth. Ypu've got a tremendous amount of love to give. I pray that I may be as bold in giving mine.

Keeping you and yours in thought and prayer, jess, brandywine,morwin and awelyn.

Haven't forgotten you, mith, vicarcat, HT, balrog,sindy, scots, Tom and rose. :hug:

Here is my final report on Mardi Gras (know you are very glad of that!). Bead count total was 65 lbs!!! Cousin and I had help from son and his fiancee on Joe Cain Day
Memorable events: Masker threw a necklace around my neck as he tossed it from a float . Bull's eye! The crown around stared in amazement. I leaped into the air to catch what I thought was a fabulous stuffed animal for my grandchildren. Turned out to be a reindeer door hanger-bit off season. Caught the "Bon Secour special" necklace at tone parade. It featured white oyster men's boots and oysters on the half-shell. The ladies on the Red Hat Society float were deemed the worst throwers. One of them "beaned" the police officer walking alongside the float. No shots were fired and no arrest was made.
Cousin and I taught some folks from Minnesota and Ontario the correct parade stragety and etiquette. Had them yelling and scrambling in now time!!
Here are some llinks and a pic you might enjoy:
Mardi Gras history: www.mobile.org/ab_mardigras.php
www.mobilecarnivalmuseum.com

scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 03:49
:rolling: Okay, MT, we really do need something that shows me ROFLMSAO at you and the Divine One. I laughed so loud that the spousal unit came in from across the house, which is quite a ways, to see what I was laughing at. I loved the picture of you and Ara-Baby. I needed that as I just finished a marathon grading session. On the bright side, it's all done and I'm clear for another week. I think it would be better if the kids would just hand their assignments in without me having to backtrack so much to get them to hand them in. Now *that's* a concept. Turning your assignments in on time! Shockers!

Well, off I go into the Wilderlands. Time for some ME time. Have a good week, all, and try not to work too hard. That's become my mantra and goal. Work smarter, not harder. Any suggestions as how to do that???
Scots
awelyn418
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 05:11
cirdaneth please finish your story. I don't think you are monopolizing FOF.

MTMS, I to laughed at your photo with the V-man and that was such a hoot. I told Mith you were so comical and you proved me right. You nut.

Scots you have a good week.

Hello Mith.

Neenime sounds like you had a great time at your party and a relaxing time today.

Belle, did you ever watch Star Trek Next Generation. I sometimes feel like I am in the Borg as far as my love for Tolkien. You know right away when you are talking to someone about him if they are a true follower. Just like all of you.

Calle I hope you had a good time at the rugby game.

Hi,Brandy and Cat,Jess,Balrog,Jess,Rose,Mag,OTB,Randi, and Swabby wherever you are and Virtuelle.

Morwin glad you are healing so well.
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 06:15
Awelyn, :hug: good to see you again!
Scots, if you are going to be wandering around in Wilderland, Perhaps we might meet somewhere? lol
MTMS..absolutely LOVE that pic!
Cirdaneth..I LOVE your story..about Calar..and am eagerly waiting for the next part! :hug:
Mith, Neenime, Belle, Vicarcat, Brandy, Morwin, Calle, Sindy, Jess, Rose, HT, Virtuelle, and anyone else that I forgot to mention....:hug: to each and every one of you..I think of all of you so often...tho..lack of time prevents me from posting more often..
The farm work..(especially the horses) keeps me busy ..and also trying to get time to work in the garden..besides the times when I babysit the grand kids...I went to my grand daughters birthday party yesterday...she turned four...same age as her sister...for a few more weeks! lol
Hope that things are leveling out for each one of you now...:hug:
I...too...miss Swabby..and hope that he will return soon...he helped to keep things lively here...for sure!
*sends :hug: to Swabby..where ever he is *
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2007 12:32
Just a quick drop in...
I read everyones posts.
Liked the Marti Gras photo... Lol!

Will come back later to click on the links and read up.

My weekend was busy but good just the same.

I don't have photos of the revel but may get some of the green tunic
taken on the digital camera later this week.

All my LoTR goodies are packed and my apartment looks strange. :twitch:

Hope the coming week is easy on everyone! :hug::love::wave: :angel:
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2007 12:41
Lol!! Mith you are lucky that your hubby nods his head. Mine just has a glazed look. Lol!! He tells me that he turns off instantly, the minute he hears 'Lord of the...' or 'CoE'.

Well MT, you and Ary looks as though you are having a good time.

Good to hear you are getting better, Morwin. Still no triple somersaults on the gymnasts beam yet. Lol!!

Hi awelyn. Feeling better too, I hope. :hug: Star Trek...ah, especially Voyager. Next Generation was good, but I thought Kate Janeway was great ... woman power!! And I was fascinated by the Borg Queen. While my significant other was fascinated by 7. Loooool!! Resistance is futile.

Randi!! Hi, good to see you. Although you aren't here, I'm sure we all know you are thinking of us, and we you, as we all do about each other. Rofl!! That sounds like a speech Bilbo would make. *wipes eyes*

Calle: Ooooh, rugby, all that lovely man flesh. :drool: I love rugby.

Cirdaneth, your story of Calar is fascinating. Have you ever thought of producing a short story and getting it published. Please do carry on. :hug:

Hi to Cat, Virtuelle, Neenime, Belle and those I may have not mentioned. :hug:

Laters

Rose xx

cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 26, 2007 12:59
Will post properly tomorrow if I can. I have two meetings. One in the morning regarding the new vestry extension, and another in the evening about the quiz and hot-pot supper in aid of the school. My team won last year so we have to devise and present it this time. That'll teach us!!

Before I go on with Calar's story I'll try to explain more about his cyst and my sarcoidosis.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. :hug:
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email