Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XI
on: June 14, 2007 05:31
Thanks for the info about contributions, HT. I hadn't noticed that, for some reason. I'm a premiere member at another site and will definately make a contribution to CoE. I feel blessed having all you dear ones in my life. Without CoE, I'm sure I'd not know any of you.

Some friends of mine at another site had a MOOT last weekend. They made a video of swabby's Middle earth Drinking Song. Here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrzErVKIiw
Did you notice Ara-baby II in the background? I think Gimli and Legolas are there as well. Unfortunately I didn't get to go, or you'd see my happy face singing and drinking right along with them. Now who'd like to go with me next year??

I've got some news about swabby. He spent some time in the hospital lately, due to problems with his potassium level. I think that he'll be fine. I'll feel good hearing from him again!

Hugs to you all!!

MT
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2007 02:23
Good Thursday, fine folks of the FoF. As MT has told you, I had to take my old carcass to the hospital for a brief stay. A blood test revealed that my potassium was 7.3 and I believe 5.0 is max. Anyway, I guess my old beat-up heart was in peril of developing a dangerous arrhythmia, so the doctor hospitalized me to get it down quickly. I'm home now and back to my old ways. No worries, mates!

I think you could use an oven instead of a grill or hibachi, Dimple, but it probably would't taste as good.
Here is an example of how unique you are, Dimple. I have never been compared to a cookie before, but I love that analogy. Parts of me are sweet and gooey, I think, but you'd also find quite a few bitter bits of pecan shells, crunchy egg shells and maybe even some hot pepper seeds.

MT, I think it is you who could show Oprah a thing or two about releasing that inner sexpot. As a matter of fact, I think there are quite a few ladies right here at FoF that could release a regular sexpot hurricane if they wanted to. Hey, that might put some wind in my sails! Oh, but it might also send me careening off the edge of the earth.

Happy Thursday everyone! Swabby

Now look what I did. I lost a day at the danged hospital and thought it was Thursday. Delay my last. Happy Friday, everyone!

[Edited on 15/6/2007 by swabbythewhite]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2007 02:25
Here comes the week end again and we suppose to have rain;we need it but there will be no playing in the garden for me

AWELYN; we have fireflies too and the dog is running after them at night!I like planters, the wooden bench souds lovely.It must be a 'romantic bench"

MT; by the way, what is a 'Ara baby" ?

SWABBY; get well

And to everyone have a good week end!

Kiss kiss,bisous bisous:heart:

Dimple
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2007 06:49
I am soo glad that you asked who/what Ara-baby is.
A few years ago, my beloved cousin purchased an Aragorn standee for me, knowing my deep love and obsession for said man. The next fall, hurrican Ivan struck. During that long, dreadfully scary night, Ara-baby (for some that name came to mind that night) stayed by my side, bunkered down in the hallway-flashlight, radio and m&m's for comfort. Hubby was snoring in the bedroom, oblivious to the raging storm outside. From that experience, our bounds were strengthened.
Last spring I took him with me to the Michigan Moot, stopping along the way at welcome centers and the Corvette museum. He went to Bilbo's restaurant in Kalamazoo and on a cruise on the Kalamazoo River and out into Lake Michigan.
Here he is:http://www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/melianndoriath/Ara-baby/ABontour010.jpg
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 15, 2007 08:22
MT, your Ara-baby sure gets anywhere! I noticed that he was on the video as well, together with Legolas (whose "pet" was he, btw?).

HT, I've made a few payments like the CoE contribution on Paypal, and so far, I haven't had any problems.

Swabby, I'm glad that your condition was taken care of at once! Hope you won't have any problems for a long time.

Dimple, I should also do A LOT in the garden - but tomorrow, I'm attending a folk festival about 50 miles away, and for Sunday, the forecast is rainy. Oh well, maybe when my vacation starts in July...

For the last couple of days, I've been living in the middle of a bathroom renovation, which means some special arrangements for the next few weeks. I'll post some before/after photos when it's done.

Wishing you all a nice Friday!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 15, 2007 11:54
Morwin have a nice time and I am looking forward to see the before and after photos of your bathroom.

MtMS I remember that story. I loved the youtube video. Thank you for sending the link. It was great.I will be sending a contribution when I figure this paypal out or a check.

Actually Dimple the bench was my mother-in-laws and we had to put her in a nursing home and we fixed up a place with some of her things from her yard so she can enjoy them when she comes to my house to visit. It was medical reasons but it was very hard for her. She loves to garden and she can't now. You have a great weekend.

Swabby I am so glad you are okay. Why was your potassium so high? You be careful. I am glad you went to the hospital quickly.Happy Friday to you.

HT I am afraid I am no help as I am trying to figure paypal out myself. I saw two travel shows on Scotland and both showed people buying Mars bars candy bars deep fried and eating them. One show was in your home town of Edinburgh.

Have a great weekend all.

[Edited on 16/6/2007 by awelyn418]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2007 06:09
Well, it is good to be on-line again. Had some connection problems. Spending hours on the phone with tech support is not my favorite hobby. But the weather has been absolutely perfect this week complete with an almost constant gentle breeze.

Reading the posts so often I find myself thinking of how much I feel the same way or agree with much of what is said here. It is a good feeling to know there are indeed kindred spirits, however scattered we may be. Oh, and where is Calle?

So glad your hospital visit was brief, Swabby. Will try and keep but a soft breeze in your sails so you can avoid the edge. Guess that means no hurricane sexpots, lol!

Awelyn, hope your pain is easing. Your new deck sounds nice. Take some time and sit and enjoy it. I love watching fireflies, too.

Good luck with your bathroom renovations, Morwin. Can be a bit trying living with the mess and inconvenience but well worth it in the end. Would love to see photos also.

Speaking of rangers, (I seem to do that quite a bit), I took Ara-baby to jazzercise yesterday. He created quite a stir amongst the group, though they all agreed that he could return any time. I think he enjoyed himself, especially when we did the shimmy, hip moves and pelvic thrusts. Perhaps I'd best keep MY ara-baby from talking to yours, mith. You might be having to do a one-woman "show" for entertainment. :disco:

Quick thinking, MT. Oh one can only imagine the things these Ara-babies could tell each other. :naughty: But just in case, perhaps I should give my Ara-baby some extra special attention and practice my moves!

Have a fun time at your uncle's, Neenime. Just use a bit of caution while dancing around the grill.

Would gladly donate but will not use PayPal, HT. I know people who got ripped off by them, my daughter is one. Please let me know if you know of an alternative method.

Well going to try and get some sunshine for a bit. One of my favorite times to read as can do so without wearing my glasses in the bright sunlight. Been cooking quite a bit and plan on doing more this weekend.

Have a wonderful weekend. :heart: :hug:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2007 05:57
Greetings all!

I've been busy trying to figure out the iPod Nano that I just got today. :dizzy: I've been wanting one for quite awhile to take when I bike or walk. Trying to haul along a CD player is a pain in my side. Yes, I can listen to the CDs I want to, but then it's a hassle carrying it while it also skips. So, as we went by the Apple Store...it called my name. It's nothing fancy. No cool colors or huge bytes of gig...just 2 I think. I think it can hold 500 songs. I think that's more than enough to be getting along with, thank you very much. Now I just have to figure out how to get the songs on my playlist into organized folders. That will make me crazy until I do. Then I need to figure out how to get them actually ON to the iPod. :dizzy: LOL But I will prevail. Come h*ll or high water, I will prevail. That and I'll probably be on the help line as well. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. So for tonight I decided the best thing for me to do was to let it charge fully then tackle it in the morning.

The weather on the PoG has truly turned summerlike. I am wanting to get out into the yard and pull a few of the nastier weeds but then feel guilty that my PowerPoint for my Master's presentation isn't done. Please send kind thoughts my way as I present on Saturday. *shudder* I will be SO glad when this is over.

Well, other than that dear FoF, that is my life in a nutshell. Just quiet times here on the PoG. Our son comes home in about 2 weeks on his way to California. Then we'll head out with him starting the 5th of July to help him move and get him settled. Then we'll be heading out to take our own vacation. After that I will have to seriously start thinking about school again. :cry:

Cheers!
Scots
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 12:56

HT I am afraid I am no help as I am trying to figure paypal out myself. I saw two travel shows on Scotland and both showed people buying Mars bars candy bars deep fried and eating them. One show was in your home town of Edinburgh.

Ah yes the culinary delight that is the deep fried mars bar! For some reason the press in the UK (mostly English) have got it into their heads that what we eat up here are deep fried mars bars. Whilst I am not denying that part of the Scots diet is notoriously unhealthy I have never met anyone who has admitted to eating deep fried mars bars. We have some of the finest local ingredients in the world. Great beef and game fabulous soft fruit and magnificent seafood and we are beginning to make more of it. There are a lot of very good restaurants in this country. OK off the soapbox now.

Ara babies - wish I had one but he would get lost amongst all the stuff I have - I am a hoarder and not the tidiest person in the world. I somehow don't think our favourite Ranger would like being draped in women's clothing or having a stray bra decorating his manly countenance . Am on page 35 of my LOTR/POTC story and Aragorn is definitely emerging as a father figure to Will Turner. Could any of you see this happening? I didn't know this was going to happen - its weird how when I write, the characters take on a life of their own. Does this happen with other authors?

Happy Sunday everyone and take care.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 03:47
Happy Father's Day Swabby.

HT the travel show that I saw had Samantha Brown she is on the Travel channel and has a show where she travels to different locations and she did show other foods. It did not make the Scots look unhealthy at all. She went to a pub and a castle and talked to a tour guide in a kilt. It was great and I learned alot about Scotland.

Scots have a great time with your son. I have trouble with my cell phone let alone a IPOD. I am technically challenged. Good luck with your masters but you need time to recharge your batteries as well.

Mith, It is good to read your post. I have wondered where Calle is as well. I did sit on the deck and watch fireflies but I had to wait until late evening because it was so hot. You can send a personal check to COE Mith.

Have a great Sunday FOF.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 04:16
Thanks for the Father's Day greeting, Awelyn. I think we're going to go see the Nancy Drew movie this afternoon and will probably dine at a restaraunt and then visit the "Marble Slab" ice cream parlor afterwards.
I like Samantha Brown and often watch her travel shows. (She's pretty danged cute, too!)

I would think an Ara-baby wouldn't mind a bra draped across his face, HT. I know I wouldn't complain.

I don't know if my old rigging could withstand one of those sexpot-induced hurricanes, Mith, so I am hoping for some gentle winds that I can manage---- NOT! Bring on those hurricanes! Give me your worst, I can take it! (Or go down smiling) Like Neil Young said "It's better to burn out than to fade away"

Have a good Sunday, y'all. Swabby
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 04:40
Just a fly by post pun intended.

Nothing much exciting happening in my neck of the woods at the moment. Cold and rainy weather. Oh to be back in Egypt.

Ipods or the equivalent are great. Mine is a Sony. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was worth the slight difficulty.

I haven't got a Dad anymore to wish Happy Father's Day to, so I'll wish it to you Swabby, if you don't mind. Hope you are feeling better. I had a high potassium rate one time. The doctor told me to lay of bananas and tomatoes.

I have used PayPal to contribute to CoE and, touch wood, have not had any difficulties. But as Awelyn said you can send a cheque if you want.

*unfurls wings and takes to the skies .... I have a couple of Lancashire Hotpots in the oven, to take care of.*

Hugs to those present and MIA. :hug:

Rose
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 10:05
A hectic week after the hectic weekend, so I still need to fill you in about it, but want to catch up with the posts first.

Balrog: I’m glad you’re enjoying your job. MT: The arboretum looks wonderful. Swabby: I’m glad you are sorted again after your potassium scare. Do take care. Mith: I was wondering about Calle too.

Morwin: A folk festival! Wish we had some round here, or a few clubs. I might get to sing more. Did get a little warble the other night, at very short notice, but it was a long way away.

Neenime: How are you feeling now? Was the prayers for your aunt an ordeal, or did you find a measure of acceptance?

Awelyn: I hope you are not so uncomfortable now. How kind of you to make a memory-garden for your mum-in-law. BTW I don’t have a passport either, nor a driver’s licence. So what do I do for ID you may ask. Well I just happen to have a special kind of rare photo-ID which I’m told will do the trick. (Sorry, no details … not yet anyway.) I’ve never needed it. Mind you, I’m thinking of applying for a seniors’ rail-card so I’ll need something then. Watch this space.

Steady on Scots! Rangers just in their swords! A guy could do himself a mischief! :cry: Couldn’t they trade in their swords for i-pods? I’m thinking of getting one. (an i-pod that is). My CD Walkman is permanently hitched to my treadmill and I need something pocket-sized anyway. … and what do you mean “thinking about school”? Surely it can’t come round again so soon.

I’m determined to write something tonight about what I’ve been up to, but I’ll post this first. Hugs to all :hug:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 12:06
So much for determination! Sleepy-eye Syndrome strikes again and I must lie down before I fall down. Nighty-night! :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 04:16
Greeting, my friends. I see that exciting thing have happened whilst I have been tending to family matters.

Fortunately, the funeral went well and we enjoyed the company of friends and extended family that we have not seem for some time. One bereaved cousin, unfortunately chose to shun another and kept that family out of arrangements and the information "loop". Childish, self-centred behaviour that her newly departed mother would never have approved of, but what can you do. The self-righteous are not known to be open to feedback or self-awareness. We made a point of interacting with the shunned one to demonstrate our support. Hmmmph!

The Father's Day BBQ went well, despite inclement weather. I was eaten alive by mosquitoes (little winged piranhas they are !), but the good company more than compensated.

Just finished the evening with a "wee dram" of the fine Scotch ( 16 yr old Oban ) that the boys and I bought for hubby. Ach - fine stuff.

Awelyn , it's good to see that you are slowly on the mend.

Swabby I know that you are a man of high standards, but exceeding the potassium standard is just not a great idea. :nono: Do try some moderation in that department, old chap. Seriously, now, I am glad that you're OK. Hope you feel alright. * sending healing vibes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*

Off to bed for this sleepy Hobbit. Reading Unfinished Tales , in fact I am on "The Children of Hurin". So is this the same story that has just been published, but with illustrations and maps? Or is the latest one a revised text?
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 10:38
I'm back at the old drawing board, and boy do I feel that I need a vacation! Well, a couple more weeks...

The festival was a nice event, quite small but well organised, and the weather couldn't have been better. We noticed that last weekend, it had been 40 years since the Monterey Pop Festival, and thought that this was a very good way to celebrate such an anniversary.

So far, the bathroom renovation hasn't caused too much discomfort. On weekdays, I've got the possibility to take a shower at work, we can arrange to wash and do the laundry at our parents, and there's an indoor swimming pool with showers and saunas nearby that we can visit.

Neenime, CoH is very much the story combined from UT and the Sil, but there are some revisions. I'm about halfway through the book at the moment.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 02:46
I'm a little surprised you would mention the Monterey Pop Festival, Morwin. I didn't think anyone still thought about such things but me. Jimi Hendrix's performance of "The Killing Floor" from that concert is still one of my all-time favorites. Then he set his guitar on fire and the Who smashed their instruments. It's funny, too, that the favorite band (Greatful Dead) of someone you and I know were there too but hardly anyone seems to remember it. Yes, rock and roll will never die!

No matter how high a person's standards may be, I certainly don't advocate high potassium levels, Neenime. I can already tell that my old machine is running better without so much of it swishing through my viens. I have to go get blood drawn and re-checked in a little while to see what my numbers are without taking that potassium horse pill every morning. I don't know why it and my sugar levels bounce around so much, but I hope they can get it straightened out. I have had bouts of extreme tiredness for several years now, and I think those must be the culprits. Doctors have told me that my half a heart shouldn't cause such fatigue.

Thanks again to those who wished me "Happy Father's Day" I don't tend to make too much out of any holiday except Christmas and Thanksgiving, but it was a good enough excuse to take in a movie and dinner. They messed up my order at Red Lobster and delivered it late, but made ammends by not charging for it. That was kinda nice, I thought.

Happy Monday! Swabby
Late entry: I hope none of you have tried my marinade yet because I left out a very important ingredient. I was lying in bed last night when I remembered that you're supposed to add about half a cup of vinegar. Sorry.

[Edited on 18/6/2007 by swabbythewhite]

[Edited on 18/6/2007 by swabbythewhite]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 03:04
A big wet kiss from Neenimë, who is water-logged from yesterday'
s downpours and thunderstorms. Goodness! Ah, but the farmers and wells need the rain, so I am not really complaining. Just being cheeky.

Morwin I hope your renovations go well. We'll be starting ours soon and I know it can be a trying time. Glad that you had a good time at the festival.

Thanks to whoever pointed out Rivka's message. I tend to go right to our discussion pages and often miss what's on the Home page. A contribution to this awesome service was long overdue for me.

Swabby isn't it ironic that some levels in your blood stream rise and fall like the waves of the seas! You take the sailor out of the sea but not the sea out of sailor.......... I hope you get some stability in that department. And PLEASE don't say that you have only half a heart. You've a fine, big heart, my friend, but it sometimes only works at half-speed.:heart:

Oh and just a reminder- we're at page 20, which usually means approaching the maximum # of posts before the thread gets closed down. So keep a sharp eye for a new thread. I often forget and then wonder why I no longer have a thousand e-mail notifications for CoE as is usual. :dizzy:

TTFN, got to get some work done, since that's what they pay me for.:wave:
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email