Register

<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XI
on: May 27, 2007 10:21
MT: My character isn't a canon one of Tolkien's; it's one of my own devising. You can get the gist of him here. We've completed the story that we had been writing that he was in, so now I'm doing a "Where Are They Now?" kind of a thing. It's purely for my own amusement, but it has been a good outlet for me.

I hope this finds you all well and ready for some summer fun. This would be the weekend that marks the beginning of said festivities.

Cheers!
Scots

>

[Edited on 27/5/2007 by Rosearialelven]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2007 04:11
Mith Have fun on that trip. The anticipation is half the fun, isn't it?

Morwin That's great that your ankle is better. Keep healing - imagine the strong but gentle hands of Ranger massaging it every night. If that doesn't get your motor purring, I don;t know what will (except perhaps an exceptionally good-looking and talented elf healer.)

Swabby I wish I knew what made us a skeeter magnet. They are an absolute plague here at certain times. I mean clouds of the little varmints! And they are the good ones, cuz you can hear them coming. That way, you have a half a chance to get 'em. It's their cousins the blackflies that I really loathe. Their presence is unknown until they have taken a chunk out of your hide. Dang it all!

I'm writing this while watching a production of Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee . A moving and fairly even-handed story of the politics and events in the 1870's after the Battle of Little Big Horn, the political manoeuvering around the gold-rich lands of the Sioux and their movement to reservations etc. Makes me wonder how it is that human beings consider themselves "civilized", considering how we treat each other when we want power and goods.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2007 06:03
It's very late but I wanted to at least pop in a few minutes. I've read all the posts but I don't have time to say much to everyone. Awelyn, I'm glad you're on the mend. I hope the discomfort will pass by quickly foryou.

Randi, I'm sorry about your foal. I am very fond of horses even though I haven't had one in many years.

I'm sorry but I really have to go. To everyone else, have fun and stay safe.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2007 03:45
Rose,
No, Dear, I don't mind at all. When I posted the link I wondered if it would work. I did it and it went okay, but DUR, it's my character. :blush:

I'm painting again today. One more coat on the door that I've been working on, then it's on to the upstairs bathroom and hallway. I like a fresh coat of paint on things. It makes it so nice. This old girl of a house needed some new makeup. Maybe that's what I should have been...a house painter. For some bizarre reason known to only the powers that be, I really enjoy painting.

Well, the paint brush calleth. Have a good holiday.
Scots
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: May 28, 2007 12:07
MTMS that would be great I will take the back rub and smoothie. Guess what? My oldest daughter is going to a Ren Fair today. I did not know we had them so close to me. Only two hours away. I told her you recommend them.

Oh Scots I loved your writing. I only read some but I will most certainly get back to them. They are fantastic. Have fun painting I wish I like to paint.

Thank you celebrian I am sure it will.

Swabby you had my mouth watering. I agree I think to many people eat fast food theses days. When I was a teenager we ate fast food maybe once a week when we went on a date. All I do now is dream of food. I guess it is because I can't cook. I know it would really hurt me but I would like some nachos.

Mith have a great trip and it is my son and yes I am still going to try and see him.

Neenine I have heard that the black flies are horrible. I don't think I have seen one but from your description I think I would remember being bitten by that pest. My husband and my daughter and I went to Montana and the place where that battle was held. I just felt such sadness there and also caution after I saw the sign that said don't get off the sidewalk pygmy rattle snakes.

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 28, 2007 01:59
Well, folks, it's 12:20am and I went to bed two hours ago. So why am I logged in again, you may ask? I had just taken my watch off but nothing else thank God when the phone rang and my friend Ann said "Ron's not well. Can you come"

Thank heaven for my Mountain Rescue days! I spent the next 30 mins with a phone clamped to one ear taking instructions, and the other hand under his neck to ease his breathing, or check his pulse, his pupils, whether he could hear me etc.

It's a stroke. He was wedged down the side of the bed face down. I don't know how I heaved the bed out and turned him over, but I did. He's a big chap. Ann is very arthritic and couldn't help. I guessed it wasn't his heart. He could mumble, and respond to instructions with his right arm and leg, but not his left. Pupils reacting OK, but breathing a bit problematic. I was so pleased when the paramedics arrived with the oxygen.

We had to move all the furniture to get Ron out. I persuaded Ann to go in the ambulance and not try to drive the 20 miles to the hospital. I've locked up the house and will go down in the morning to tidy up. Meanwhile, it's now nearly 1am and I'm wide awake with adrenaline still flowing. I'm so glad you're all here for me to off-load. Can you keep Ron and Ann in your thoughts and prayers.

I think I'll have a piece of toast and a cuppa now and see if I can sleep. BTW ... I now know I can still sprint 200 yards!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: May 29, 2007 01:19
Cirdaneth, your friends were lucky to have you there. :hug: Hope you did get some sleep after such an ordeal. I'll sure keep Ann and Ron in my thoughts.

Neenime, it sure helps imagining an elvish healer of a handsome Ranger tending my ankle - I feel that, it doesn't swell quite as easily anymore as it used to.

The last couple of days have been very warm, and there were even quite heavy thunderstorms on Sunday evening; we only got a lot of rain in my corner, though. The only downside of this weather is that, the garden looks rather like a jungle - yesterday, I spent a couple of hours weeding, and I hope that the hubby will mow the grass this evening. Otherwise, we'll soon need a scythe.

Hope you are all doing fine! :hug:
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2007 01:26
Oh Cirdaneth. I do hope your friend recovers from his stroke. How wonderful that you were able to be there for him and his wife. I will certainly keep them both in my prayers.

Have'nt posted for a while. So I'm back to playing catch-up again. I've been busy with the dance recital coming up and also my end of season choir concert. All of which happens within three days of each other. So rehearsals have become a part of my life. But I miss you all here and you all have such event filled lives.

Swabby: Please enlighten this ignorant person. What is pico de gallo? Sounds like you are cooking Mexican style. Whatever it is, it sounds very gourmet and absolutely delicious. As for fast food - well, it may be fast, but food, yuck! Give me a good home made meal any day. One that has lots of tlc mixed into it! Does anyone here have a recipe for hush-puppies? I had some down south once and they were delicious. Where did that name for them come from? Anybody know?

Awelyn: If I was closer those pillows and a back rub would definitely be happening. I do hope you will be on your feet fairly soon. This is definitely a time for comfort food, good friends and family and lots of tlc. et: :hug:

Scots: Really want to get around to reading your writing. Have to find a spare spot of time to do it.

Life for me always seems to be either feast or famine. Right now its all feast, so I'm looking forward to having a famine period! After June 5 I get a two week break and then camping season begins. I usually volunteer at a summer camp for kids when I can. Lots of fun and they sure keep me on my toes. Last year I managed to actually climb the climbing wall on our tower (big one) and then use the zip line (adrenaline rush) to get down.

Randi: So sorry to hear about the foal. Always hard to lose something so precious.

Can't remember now who wrote about the hand-fasting. That is so beautiful and very middle-earthish. Would love to be there.

Well gotta go get the morning java and then lug the body on the road and go take a walk by the lake. The boats are in the marina and its nearly time to go sailing. Love summer!
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2007 02:05
I second the sentiments of Morwin and Jess, Cirdaneth. The great director of real-life events put the right person in the right place at the right time, so it seems. Bravo Cirdaneth!

You are correct about the ethnicity of the pico de gallo ("beak of the rooster"), Jess. It's a Mexican garnish made from chopped onion, tomato, jalapeno peppers and cilantro. It's delicious on tacos, chalupas, etc. Cook beans with a cup or two of pico de gallo and a bottle of beer mixed in and you've got "boracho beans" or "drunk beans". I lived in South Texas for many years and learned how to make many mexican/german/texan foods which are often a mixture of ethnicities. The barbecued brisket is "Texan", but put a slice of it on a tortilla with some pico de gallo and you've got a multi-cultural treat that everyone likes. I love to put a lot of care and attention into my cooking and then have hungry people eat it up.
Hush puppies. I used to make those to go with fried fish, but I almost never make fried foods anymore because of my heart disease. They are simple to make, though. I'm sure you can get lots of good recipes for them online, but here is what I would do if I had to whip some up right now. Mix together about two cups corn meal and one cup flour flour, add to that two teaspoons baking powder, one teaspoon salt, one egg, 1/4 cup finely-chopped onion (optional) two table spoons liquid shortening and enough beer to form a thick batter. After mixing well, drop golf ball-sized blobs of the mixture into hot oil and deep fry. You can cook them in the same oil you're using for the fish.

I must run, duty calls. Swabby

[Edited on 29/5/2007 by swabbythewhite]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2007 07:07
Know that mith is having fun on her trip! She doesn't have to worry about Ara-baby, as long as she gave his a hearty kiss before she left-that'll keep his head spinning until she returns. :rolling:

Like that Lothlorien elf of your, scots. Can't wait to read about him and his adventures.
I'm going to do a little painting as well. Will do my living/dining room, hallways and possibly kitchen. As you well know, summer is the only time we teachers have to get such sort of things done.

If I could find a box big enough, I'd mail myself to you, awelyn. I know I'd have you feeling better in no time.
Tell your daughter that I want to see any pics that she takes and hear all about the things she saw at the ren fest..especially about knights, jousting and sword play!!

I knew that you were an angel, cirdaneth! :angel: Thank you for stepping out (literally and figuratively) to help someone in need. :hug:

Since swabby gave you a good recipe for hushpuppies, I'll tell you where the name "hush puppies" came from, Jess. Waaay back in the old days, when folks were frying their fish outside, the neighborhood dogs would congregate, smelling the fish cooking. To satisfy them, the cook would throw a little of the batter in the oil to cook. When it cooled, he'd/she'd give it to the dog and say "Now hush, puppy!"

Hope you had fun with your family, swabby. Hubby and I visited eldest and his fiancee in P'cola, as a belated birthday celebration for him. We went to Cooter Brown's, which is know as the Lord of the Wings. Love their spicy chicken wings, even tough they're a bit messy. Son got a new Stratocaster from fiancee and some kind of guitar pedal from his dad and I. Can't wait to hear him play live again!! Work's been keeping him busy. Maybe after the wedding in October............

I'm off to try to figure out a weekend at the beach!! :heart: :disco: :cheers:

MT
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2007 06:19
Hi-de-ho,
I have been living in the land of the busy and confused. If you recall my daughter is pregnant and not married, had wanted to place the baby for adoption but is now not going to because the father says no. He lives with her and her two roommates. I have no objection to, and in fact am praying that they marry because we really like the young man. However, I still don't know what will happen. Have you ever tried to act normal around a pregnant, unwed daughter and her boyfriend whom you have no idea what her intentions are for? It's just too weird for words! :twitch:

School is out but I still have some loose ends to tidy up. Farming is going well, but the hubby is tired often lately. I'm not sure if it's physical or mental health related, suspect the later, and hope that he can get out of his doldrums. I am watching him carefully.

I have a bunch of things coming up with cub scouts so that will keep me busy in the coming weeks. I will be driving a float in our local Western Days Parade on Saturday. That is a new experience for me.

Hoping to have some time for yard work and reading in the next few days before things become totally nuts with scouting.

Lots to think about and worry about. Sounds like you all are having similarly busy times. I haven't read all the way back to my last post but far enough to know that I am not the only one living in the land of busy.
Randi-I too am sorry about the colt. Hope all remains well with the rest of your horses and babies.
Cirdaneth-So lucky you were there for your friends in their time of need. Praise God for someone with the know how of what to do! I am sure they feel blessed to have you. Hope all is going well for them.
To everyone else-I miss you and hope you are all well. I will try to stay better caught up now that I am done with school. Perhaps I can get on line occasionally. Hugs to everyone and my best wishes and prayers for all that is going on in your lives.
Brandy
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2007 08:09
Cirdaneth – thank goodness you were there and new what to do. I hope you’ve recovered a bit. I’ll bet it took a while to sleep, between the adrenaline rush and then caffeine, too! Hope he’s doing OK.

I hope all of our American friends had a safe and happy Memorial Day.

Swabby – I like the new “slow food” movement. We bought a slow cooker and just love it to bits. Had slow cooked ribs this past weekl Yum!

MT – LORD OF THE WINGS, indeed. That’s cute.

Scots - did I tell you that I really liked your Elf description?
“You’ve some skill with a word processor, My Lady,” quoth the Ranger, with a twinkle in his eye. (Well , he was a very modern Ranger and knew what a word processor was!)

Someone gave me a copy of the soundtrack from KING ARTHUR./ Mmmm – good music! Hans Zimmer does good stuff. And I think it's Caitlin Matthews doing the vocals, and/or Moya Brennan (Enya's sister, if I recall correctly). Lovely.

[Edited on 30/5/2007 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2007 09:51
I should have known that a fine southern belle/shieldmaden like you would know where that saying came from, MT.

Im going to keep hoping that your daughter and that fella get married, Brandy. Do you have a shotgun? You can borrow mine if you'd like.

Slow cooking is the way to go, Neenime. That way you can take a tough old cut of meat and make it melt in your mouth. (Which is great for old codgers like me with sore toofies) I have a crockpot, but I usually just use a large pot with a good-fitting lid and use the top of the stove with low heat. I slow cook my briskets for at least six hours on the grill--naked for the first two or three hours so they absorb all that smokey goodness, then wrapped in foil for the next three to five hours. Tender!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 02:50
Mm-mm-good, Swabby . You're a dedicated cook. Must have that earthy, life-loving heart of a Hobbit, right?

Our manager and receptionist had a strange encounter yesterday. The receptionist was getting into her truck at the end of the day when she saw a middle-aged woman wearing a hospital gown coming up to the passenger side of her truck. She turned off the vehicle and got out to speak to her, knowing something wasn;t right. She used to work at the hospital across the road form us, so she's familiar with wandering patients .

The woman asked for a ride and our receptionist commented that she seemed to have come from the hospital. The woman got angry and brandished a piece of metal (looked like one of those strips on the side of the car with the manufacturer's name on it).

Fortunately, our manager had just come back into the parking lot because she forgot something. Our receptionist walked towards her miming the signal to call someone. So 9-1-1 and Security were called and the woman duly rounded up. Probably an escapee from the psych ward at the hospital across the road.

My goodness! Just when you think your day is over and it's time to go home and rest.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 03:59
Aiya!
Greetings from the PoG. I'm immersed in my painting projects again as per my summer routine of the last couple of years. The work on the trim in the kitchen goes on, and it's getting close to being completed. :disco: I've also decided that after removing the pantry doors and painting them that the gross inside of the pantry needs an upgrade as well, so today I'm going to destruct that and start on the paint in there. The weather is supposed to be rainy again this afternoon, so I guess it's good that I have something to keep myself occupied. Man, I'm boring. My kitchen seems to be the only thing that I do outside of school. Really, I didn't think I was one-dimensional as all that. Oh, well, my kitchen will be nice when it's done. Yeah, right. That's gonna happen. *giggle*

I "volunteered" (a.k.a. voluntold) to be the person in charge of the Reading Classics competition this year. I've never done it before as at my little school we didn't have enough kids to make up teams. I have *no* clue what they do in the practice sessions, so this ought to be interesting. So now I've checked out books on the list and am beginning to read my way thorough. That's a hardship I know, but I'll try myself to buck it up. I found it strange though; The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring are on the list but The Two Towers and The Return of the King aren't. Hmmmmm. I may need to ask some hard questions of the powers that be.

It's getting closer to the weekend, and I'll probably have my head buried in my pantry getting it all sparkly and not online, so I'll wish you all a wonderful weekend.
Cheers.
Scots
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 05:15
Hi everybody
!My name is Dimple Bumbleroot and I am new to this gigantic community. I feel overwhelmed by all thisI am 55 years old ,like cooking reading and gardenig.My daugter Linwe Saralonde talked me into thisSo if anyone would like to tell me informations about this site I WILL BE VERY HAPPY Have a good week end everybody and many thanks
Dimple.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 05:45
Howdy Dimple_Bumbleroot! What a terrific name, I love it! Your lovely daughter did a fine thing by sending you here. We are a bunch of well-seasoned Tolkein enthusiasts who enjoy the company of other like-minded folks. I am the about the only male who frequents these shores, and the ladies here tolerate me quite well despite my many bad habits and cantankerous ways. (Sounds just like real life, doesn't it?) Anyway, make yourself at home and we're tickled to have you! Swabby

[Edited on 31/5/2007 by swabbythewhite]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 05:47
Mae Govannen, Dimple_Bumbleroot (that's Elvish for "Well met" or "Welcome"). Always nice to have a new member join us.

We are just a group of people who really love Tolkien's works, both film and books. Most of us are women, although we have had a coupe of gentlemen join us.

Don't be overwhelmed. None of us is really a Tolkien expert. No one here needs to show off or make anyone else look bad. We are friendly, cheerful, supportive, multi-talented, very silly and we love to talk and talk and talk. We have become friends, so we don't talk about Tolkien all the time, but he comes up regularly, as do Rangers, Elves, Gollum and a few other favourites.

Sometimes we just sahre news about our lives and sometimes we respond with comments to each other's posts. No rules, except for the forum rules about behaving ourselves. WELCOME!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 08:30
NEWS FLASH!
Injury post-pones LOTR stage show in London. I've posted a story for tho Home page (but it needs the be vetted first. You can read it
here in the meantime.

A cast member playing a Ranger got his foot caught in the multi-level stage mechanism during a recent show. His leg is not broken but does need treatment. Stage crew are investigating and the show has been put on hold until the problem can be rectified.

Do I see the hand of Saruman in this?

[Edited on 31/5/2007 by Neenime]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 11:07
Dimple_Bumbleroot: Welcome and well met! :cheers: I hail from the PoG (Plains of Gorgoroth a.k.a. Nebraska in the U.S.) and enjoy writing, gardening, bicycling with the spousal unit, and reading. In my "real" life, I warp...oops, I mean teach :blush:, 7th graders language arts. I have just crossed the threshold of the big 5-0 and spend way too much time in the kitchen trying to drag it into this decade. Other than that, I'm pretty boring. I'm sure you'll enjoy this thread. It keeps you on top of your game for sure!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 12:05
Hello Dimple. Welcome FoF on CoE. I’m nearly 65 and live in the Peak District National Park, Derbyshire, UK. I’m co-moderator of the Books Forum on CoE, and otherwise lead a quiet life … or I would if dramatic things didn’t keep happening. I’m sure you’ll soon feel at home and find your way around the site. Meanwhile hang out with us and you’ll not have a dull moment … well not terribly dull anyway.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and prayers for Ron and Ann, and for your kind words to me. I didn’t actually do much other than monitoring his vitals and keeping his airway clear. It must have been a terrible ordeal for Ann. Anyway … Ron was in a really bad way all Tuesday and when Ann phoned at tea-time, he was possibly being transferred to Sheffield for surgery to relieve the pressure … or depending on the scan results it might be too bad even for that. Their four children were on their way north, and I knew it was time for me to stand back and let the family reclaim him in private. Not easy as I was so terrified for them both. They have been very kind to me and I love them dearly.

Yesterday, however, Ron began to perk up and by this morning had some movement back in his left hand. He was able to converse clearly, but very quietly because he’s so tired. The two daughters called on me this morning and said “We thought you might like to come and visit him sometime this weekend.” At which point I burst into tears of relief … and I’m not a weepy person (well not where anyone can see anyway). Ron’s not out of the wood yet, but at last things are looking more hopeful. I shall sleep well tonight.

I want to write more to all of you, and greet you by name, and tell you what else I’ve been up to, but I’m totally knackered, so it will have to wait. Hugs to you all :hug:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 02:30
Dimple_Bumbleroot don't believe Scots for a moment when she says that she's boring. That woman is ALAYS up to something. She's very active, very involved in education and home decorationg and who knows what else! In fact ALL the women here and our favourite sailor man are all very interesting characters in their own right. Old Tom Bombadikl, when he visits is also very active in Tolkien re-enactments and hiome improvments.

Me? I am 50 and a counsellor for university students. Married to a wonderful, kind Faramir-type man, who thinks I am obsessed with Tolkien. Bah! What does he know? We have three soons in their early 20's and a crazy dog. I love to read, do ethnic cooking, collect swords, listen to music and do sacred dance. We live in a rural area of Canada, on the Northwest shore of Lake Superior.

Welcome, again.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 03:37
Welcome Dimple! :wave: It's nice to have you here among us. We are a group of unique and interesting characters who are united in their love of Tolkien (and each other). Please tell us bit more about yourself.

I am 52 and have been a Tolkien fan for a very looong time. It was more than 20 years ago that I "met" Aragorn in Tolkien's writings and fell in love (with both of them, actually). I am quite partial to rangers.:love:
I live in LA (lower Alabama) and teach kindergarten. Jousting, men in chain mail and leather, swords and renaissance faires/festivals are my passions-after my grandchildren, who live in the Netherlands.
I must be off to prepare for my weekend at the beach. Wish I could pack each one of you in my bag and take you along.

MT
~Randiriel~of_Wilderland
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 05:47
Suilad, (Hello) :wave: Dimple, Welcome to CoE...good to have you here with us...tho I don't get here as often as I would like to...
I have just passed the 61 mark about 2 weeks ago...We have a horse ranch here in East Texas which keeps us VERY busy...lol besides the goats, rabbits, chickens, dogs, cats, etc...and the garden, and flower beds....anyway...always lots to do...but not much time for visiting....
Suilad, my FoF friends, Swabby, Virtuelle, Scots, Belle, Neenime, Morwin, Awelyn, MTMS, Mith, Celebrian, Cirdaneth, Jessamyn, Brandy, Rose, HT, Sindy, Balrog,Calle, Vicarcat, Sunstar, ..and anyone else that I may have accidently forgotten to mention... :hug: May you all have a safe and wonderful weekend...I'm off to visit with Gandalf soon....

[Edited on 1/6/2007 by ~Randiriel~of_Wilderland]

[Edited on 1/6/2007 by ~Randiriel~of_Wilderland]
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 01:26
What's this? Is the universe under new management and all the laws have been suspended? I've never in my life seen so many women voluntarily revealing their true age! What's next, weight and dress-sizes? Geee-whillackers! Here I thought you were all young chicks in your early forties, but now I find out that y'all are close to my age. I can't believe it. I need a hug. Dazed and confused, Swabby
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 04:11
I need a hug. Dazed and confused, Swabby

Duly noted,Swabby . Here ya go, ya bog lug. :hug: Now just settle down and breathe slowly............

begins to patiently explain You see, when people are in a welcoming and emotionally safe environment they often open up. That's the kind of atmosphere we here at Fans over Forty (Note to Dimple FoF is our short form for that, thus making us FoFers.)

I hope you're all having a good day so far with interesting plans for the weekend. I'll be in a dress rehearsal tonight - probably a good 3-hour extravaganza to get all the bugs worked out for our performance on Tuesday next.

Belated Happy Birthday to Randi :cheers:.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 04:22
I've never been one to worry about age or dress size. LOL I told my kids towards the end of the year how old I was and they were shocked. Or at least, they *said* they were shocked. They thought I was in my late 30s. *see Scots pat herself on the back. Not an easy trick at her age!*

Warm thoughts wafted towards my brother and sister-in-law would be appreciated. We just got news today that my nephew was hit with three IEDs in Iraq and has been wounded. He is now on his way to Germany to be put back together. Thankfully he was in the really armored humvees, but as a military mom, it scares the beejesus out of me and breaks my heart for his parents. They've talked to him and he was pretty much out of it but still very much my nephew.

Thanks for the thoughts.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 05:08
Hi everyone. Hi to Dimple too. I am 55 and live in Southeast Missouri in the USA. Welcome to our group. I hope you will feel comfortable here in no time. We are a great bunch if I do say so myself. I am a Tolkien fan and have been one almost three years.

Well Wednesday was 2 weeks since my surgery and the recovery is slow. I have so much time on my hands because there is so much I still can't do yet. I have had bouts of depression where I burst into tears. I try to get in my room before the meltdown but don't make it all the time and then I feel like a big baby. My doctor said bottom line it will just take time.

Oh Scots your poor family. I will keep them in my prayers.
Oh girl but you are getting so much done to your house. Good luck with the judging.

Neenime, how scary for the receptionist. Oh the poor cast member. I am sure the cast member has a understudy but what awful luck.

Hey Randi, you take it easy. It was good to hear from you.

Swabby you make my mouth water when you talk of the slow cooked food it sounds so yummy. You old silly you make me smile.

Hey MTMS have fun at the beach.

Brandy I hope things work out for you and your daughter. What a stressful time for you. Hang in there. You are out for the summer and you still are so busy. I hope you get some downtime.

cirdaneth I am so glad that things seem to be going better for your friend. You must have been so tired. Get rest.

If I have left anyone out forgive me. Have a great day.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 05:40
What a nice welcome!
Thank you everybody! You make me feel a little more comfortable. I can't remember all your names but in time I will. A little bit more about myself? Well, I'm a francophone from Quebec, so please excuse my English, because I am so rusted! Feel free to correct me! I am a stay at home Hobbit. I live in a valley called Jacques-Cartier but my house is at the foot of the mountains. There is a bit of the Shire and Rivendell where I live and I love it!:love: I have a big dog named Bruno (Dogue de Bordeaux) and we like to go for walks in the forest. My daughter, Linwe_Saralonde is 19 and will go to university in september (English Studies).
I have to go now, house work is calling me! :cry: I will talk to you as often as I can.
Dimple
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2007 08:40
Bienvenue à une autre canadienne! Nous sommes quatres ici - Balrog, Jessamyn, moi et puis tu.

Please excuse the grammatical errors - my French is MUCH rustier than your English!
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2007 11:14
Mae Govannen, Dimple. Sílo Anor bo men lín

I live in sw Ohio with a tabby cat and my DH and have been a Tolkien fan since I was a high school freshman and read the Trilogy for the first time. I teach 9th grade English, write Tolkein fiction (pen name Sindarin Elvish), garden, power walk, try to cook.....since we are revealing ages, just shy of 50, but feel 26.

Swabby, our senior assembly was on Friday and I was noticing how many of the young men and women were chubby. I'd had these kids just four years ago and they had probably gained an average of 30 pounds. Many of these students are involved in school sports and marching band so it has to be what they eat----like those 44 ounces sugary powerade drinks.

JUST THREE MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's exam week...whoo-hoo! By 3:20 Wednesday, I want my grades done and every loose end tied up. I will go back some cool day and straighten out my handout mess (BIG PILE). Sorry I haven't been around much lately but as the DH noticed last night, I'd been working hard getting finished up this year. My elflings are about to move on to 10th grade.:love:

Swabby, I need a jar of pico de gallo and a bag of tostitos, and a pitcher of sangria. Delivered on Thursday, please! My good friend and I have an appointment for breakfast and hoof paring (pedicure). SUMMERTIME!!!!!

Cirdaneth, you are incredible. How lucky for your friends that you had first aid training.

Scots, I too have painting plans: bedroom, livingroom-diningroom-foyer, family room (in that order). I'm working on convincing the DH that we should just replace the kitchen cabinets instead of painting them.

RAIN, we need rain here! It's crunchy but Awelyn and Swabby have been getting drenched lately, right?

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2007 01:29
Thanks for being there in my time of need, Neenime. My system was shocked by all that brutal honesty.

I'm glad your recovery is progressing, Awelyn. Mine is too, although my ailment (ingrown toe nail surgery) wasn't nearly as serious as yours.

Your english is excellent, Dimple. I only wish I knew some french. My part of the world (Arkansas) was explored by the french long ago and many landmarks and rivers here have french names, like the Fouche lafave river and Petite Jean and Poteau mountains. Anyway, if anyone ever teases you about your english, I'll send my prune-filled parrot after them.

Gee Sindy, I wish I felt twenty-six again. Heck, I wish I felt forty-six. I feel every single second of my fifty-nine years. If I was cheese I'd be terrific, but unfortunately I'm more like a very old bowl of chicken ala king. All my green things and red things are an indistinguishable brown, my sauce has dried up and my chicken has fossilized. I think my dna has even gone bad.

Sindy, all the things you requested will be ready for you and your friend immediately after hoof-paring on Thursday. I prefer to make it all fresh, though. Wouldn't you like some guacamole too? How about some queso? Your wish is my command.

I'm planning to go see Pirates tomorrow and hoping the theaters aren't too crowded. Happy Saturday, friends of the FoF. Swabby
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 03, 2007 07:10
Hi, Dimple_Bumbleroot, and welcome! :wave: I'm a 48-year-old microbiologist from Finland, whose older daughter just suggested that when I turn 50, I should arrange a party like Bilbo's 111th birthday... Unfortunately, most of the other FoFers live a bit too far from me to participate.

Swabby, perhaps we're not afraid to reveal our age, because in our hearts, we're forever young anyway... And, here we don't have to try to be anything else but ourselves.

Neenime, quite a scary situation with the runaway psychological ward patient!

I've been a bit busy lately - the schools ended here yesterday, which meant a bit driving around, and today, it was daughter #2's confirmation, which meant having to take care of some arrangements. Now, all the extra stuff is fortunately behind, and maybe I'll have more time for this site as well.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2007 04:47
I am sorry to hear of your nephew's injury, scots. I hope that he will heal completely and stay safely out of harms' way. Know what you mean about a military mom's fears,as my youngest is in the Army (thank God he's in the Netherlands! :angel: ) Prayers of safety for all serving in the military.

Your english is wonderful, Dimple. I'd love it if you'd use a little french now and then. I LOVE the language and plan to help teach french language camp for young children next summer.

Votre francais est tres bon, neenime.Pensez-vous en francais? Vous savez beaucoup des mots.

Congrats on the end of school, sindy!! :cheers: I'm sure you'll be doing the OOSHD (out of school happy dance) to celebrate. :disco: Moms do a similar move in the fall when school starts back.

I've never thought of you as "cheesy", swabby. Most of us here are like fine wines....our "flavor" improves with age. :cheers:

Congrats on daughter's confirmation, morwin. What a big day it must have been for her!!

I have returned from a wonderful weekend at the beach! The weather was marvelous, the Gulf was beautiful, the hotel was superb and the food was fantastic!! I WILL be returning whenever I can!! I have come up with a design for my coat of arms. It's a sword emerging from the white foam of crashing waves from the blue-green sea. Wonder where that idea came from???

MT
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 02:42
Hello!
I'm sure you all kept busy this week end. I did too. I spent intimate moments with bedding plants, cleaning them end giving them tender loving care. I transplanted some of my plants where my last dog, Gaston, is burried, so when I look at it I have a special thought for him.

I lost a game of Scrabble to my husband and a game of cards to my daughter on sunday afternoon.:cry: I'm such a loser... After that, I craved sweets, so I baked a carrot cake with pinapples, nuts and raisins. (A little comfort for my loseness)

cirdaneth: How are your friends Ron and Ann?

Neenime: Salut bien et heureuse de te rencontrer! You collect swords, and I started to collect hens! (wooden, ceramics etc...) and name them after LotR characters. I have a Rosie, a Merry, a cooki jar named Sam, wooden bowl of fruit with decorating apples on it named Pippin.

MinasTirithMS: I'm a fan since the first movie came out. My daughter introduced me to the books, in which I found out that Sam was my soulmate!:love: (or book twin!)
I would like to visit the Netherlands, it sounds fascinating!

Randi: I do a lot of gardening myself, constantly transplanting and moving my flowers around from oen bedding to another. I'm never satisfied! But I love the smell and the feel of the earth.:love:

swabby: Maybe your body isn't 26 anymore, but I'm sure you're mind's as yound as this! You have a parrot?

scots56: I feel for your family and hope your nephew is in good health and will be coming back home soon.

Everybody have a good day, talk to you later!
Dimple
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email