<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XI
on: June 04, 2007 03:01
Hi everyone,
Welcome Dimple. I am a 49 year old teacher from Idaho. I am married to a farmer and we have three grown children. Our oldest son is 23 and in college. Our daughter is 21 and pregnant and working. Our youngest is going to be 20 on June 17. He works in our nearest big city and often stays there at our daughters home.

Life is going well. Still living in the state of confusion about the baby.

Scouting is happening this week so I will be done with that by Saturday. Then I get to go camping myself for a week with a bunch of other leaders. I think I'm going to freeze my butt off. We will be in cabins part of the time and then the rest will be in a tent. Brrrr!.

Hope I have a lot of time to read and write. Would love some time for that.

Have a great day everyone!
Brandywine
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 05:06
Sending love and healing :angel:to those of you with achy bodies, with relatives recovering from injuries. I hope everyone is doing well.

Here’s a rain prayer :angel: for those people who need it. We have been blessed by a decent amount lately, thus reducing the fire hazard and giving crops and tress a chance to grow nicely.

Merci, MTMS et Dimple. J’ai etudier a l’ecole secondaire et un peu a l’universite. Je comprend mieux que je parle.

And that’s about as good as it gets. In Canada our product labels are in both official languages, so I practice a little by reading cereal boxes , etc. I understand some French, especially if spoken slowly. It was fun to follow a lot of what was said in The da Vinci Code without the subtitles, except for colloquialisms. Lack of pratice means that I have forgotten pretty much all the grammar and conjugation rules. Oh well. I love languages so my brain manages to pick up a little here and there.

Dimple I can see your affinity with Sam. You are both earthy people. I'll bet your character is strong like Sam's. Earth-type people often have a strong, patient, hopeful energy to them. They are used to believing at the end of each winter, that life will survive, no matter how deep the snows and how strong the frost.

Tonight I will buy flowers to plant. I am pleased that all the perennials have filled in nicely and I don't have to plant very much.

Tomorrow night is the big recital and I am really excited.:disco: I just want the work days to hurry up and be over so I can dance!

Congratulations to all the teachers for having survived another year in the Land of the Orcs and to Morwin on her daughter's confirmation. That is an important milestone.

Alrighty, back to work now...........:wave: Au revoir mes amis.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 05:41

Merci, MTMS et Dimple. J’ai etudier a l’ecole secondaire et un peu a l’universite. Je comprend mieux que je parle.

Moi aussi, neenime!!
Wish that I could see the dance recital. Know it will be fabulous!!! :disco:

I'm sure that your heart is as big as Sam's, Dimple. In my opinion, he exemplifies the purest type of love, one that sacrifices for others.:heart:

Good luck with camping, brandywine. That's not my type of thing. I love nature, but comfort such as a bed and well-lit bathroom steps away are very mportant to me at this time in my life. Now if I had a ranger along, perhaps my mind could be changed!:love:

MT
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 06:44
Morwin: My daughter suggested the same thing about having a Bilbo like party! Are we fanatics or not? Congratulations on your daughter's confirimation!

MinasTirithMS: Je suis en train de lire une saga suédoise au suject d'immigrants arrivant dans les années 1850 aux Etats-Unis. After that it will be time to read CoE. My heart? Well maybe not as big as Sam's but big enough I think.

brandywine: Will it be your frist grandchild? If you are too cold, brandy, put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea for me. It's been a long time since I've camped (about 20 years ago!). Watch out for Beorn!

Neenime: Bonne chance à ton récital de danse! Hope that you'll tell us all about it and that you'll be wonderfull!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 07:05
Hi everyone and welcome Dimple

I seem to have been busy and not posted much recently. Great niece seems to be doing well although I haven't seen her yet. My Mum has and is over the moon.

We had a learning at work day recently and I took a class in card making which is my hobby. It went well although it was only for 4 people it has given me the confidence to do it again if I am asked.

My claim to fame here is that I invented the kilted Ranger! My over-active and very silly Scottish imagination ( I live in Edinburgh) had me think about Aragorn in a kilt. For some reason it seems a popular image amongst us ladies at FOF - can't think why.

Anyway its good this forum is still attracting new people let us know sometime Dimple if you are a Ranger girl or an elf girl most of us seem to fall into one of these two camps although there is absolutely nothing wrong in lusting after both types of hunks.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 09:08
Wooo! *Cirdaneth picks herself up off the floor* a kilt! What tartan? Black Watch probably as he's so tough and also needs to be camouflaged in woodland.

Dimple. I'm afraid I can't understand the french bits. I only talk English and Rubbish! Glad you're enjoying CoE

Scots. I hope your nephew mends quickly. Every time you mention school my heart goes out to you. I can feel how much you miss your little school. :hug:

As for the rest of us, we must keep singing, dancing, hugging our friends and planting our flowers. It generates good vibes and adds them to the worldwide pool for troubled people everywhere. That's my belief anyway.

Ron is out of intensive care now, and is fighting off the inevitable blues. He is able to speak and is very chatty, but still no use in the left side of the body. He still has a headache, but it's only a week and it takes time. I haven't seen him yet and Ann is very apologetic, but I've told her it doesn't matter. They have many brothers and sisters and children and grandchildren, and he can only cope with a few people each day. Ron is in the safest place. I'm more concerned with Ann whose thoughts about the future must be tumbling over and over. I don't want her to make herself ill. She's also made so many phone calls her phone will need to be surgically removed from her ear. I went down yesterday and did some ironing, and I've organised someone to mow the lawns. Other than that I'm on stand-by.

Popped into town this morning and bought my granddaughter her sat-nav. My present for her 21st. Also got myself an up-to-date road atlas, as she says when we go to Bucks I'm to navigate on the way down and we'll sat-nav on the way back. Should be fun.

My body clock's gone all peculiar since that lost night's sleep. I sleep OK at night but I'm falling asleep in the day, like I did after Calar died. Maybe I should sprint 200 yards more often so my body gets used to it! Not a pretty sight I should think LOL
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 05:08
Thanks for the little taste of french, Dimple. It keeps me from getting too rusty. Not much french to read around here in LA (Lower Alabama).
My father came to the US (long before 1850) from northern Italy. Although they'd been in the US for years, my grandmother mostly spoke in italian. My dad never taught me much italian (shame on him!), but after learning a bit of french in middle school, I tried it with grandmother. It worked! Guess she liked french better than english.

HT I certainly wish I could get my hands on a kilted ranger (and if not a live one, then a) card. Do you accept mail or on-line orders???

Glad to hear that Ron is doing well, cirdaneth. I pray that his motor skills improve.
Have fun navigating with your granddaughter!!

MT
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: June 04, 2007 09:37
My claim to fame here is that I invented the kilted Ranger! My over-active and very silly Scottish imagination ( I live in Edinburgh) had me think about Aragorn in a kilt. For some reason it seems a popular image amongst us ladies at FOF - can't think why.

Well, a kilt is a very sexy garment, if the guy has the body for it - and, the Rangers, Elves, and Riders in the LOTR sure do. At the moot in Ireland that I attended, one young man wore a kilt part of the time, and he was some real eye candy! :love: He's actually Welsh, but lives in Glasgow now, and is engaged with a Scottish woman; I think the tartan was that of his fiancée's family.

I'd sure love to arrange a hobbitish party at my birthday, but unfortunately, most of the people I'd like to invite live on the other side of the world, and I don't think I could get them here for a garden party in November. So, I believe I'll do a Bilbo in another way, and disappear for a few days.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 03:02
Cirdaneth – glad that your neighbour gentleman is recovering. The brain is an amazing organ and he is talking now because parts that weren’t too busy have picked up the slack and taken over for the damaged parts. No one completely understands how this occurs, but it is miraculous. He should know that after any brain injury, there will be changes and potential for improvements for 18-24 months, at least. So, he need not despair if things aren’t all back to “normal” immediately. The body heals but it may do so slowly. Please pass that on to Anne as well, to give her hope.

And by the way..........what’s a “sat-nav”?

Kilted Rangers - och aye, lass, that's verrrrra fine (or braugh or something like that)! :drool:

Here's hoping for a quiet day. True to form, I didn't sleep very well last night. I rarely do before a performance. My brain is like a little hamster on a wheel, just running for all it's worth. I'm not worried about any of the dances. It's just silly little details that, in the end, don't really matter. So I think I will take my own advice and create visualizations of moving effortlessly, propelled by the Spirit and loving every minute of it.
:love: I will dance a blessing out to all of you.

Full report tomorrow!

And if you would, a little prayer for my hubby. He's had some angina-like symptoms for a few days. Not sure what it's about. I just hope it's not a deterioration of his heart condition. I had hoped that the medication and lifestyle changes and all the good check-ups would mean that he could avoid any major problems for many years. Trying not to predict disaster prematurely, but that little hamster in my head...............
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 05:55
Oh it is so good to read the posts.

cirdaneth,I am so glad your friend Ron is doing well. When my mom had a stroke it did not effect her body just her memory and I think that was worse. Her body could have been rehabilitated. I slowly watched my mom slip away and another woman took her place. So good for Ron. You are a good friend to them.

Neenime I am glad you asked that question because I did not know what a sat-nav is either. Good luck with your dance. I will keep your husband in my prayers.

Morwin I agree that a kilt is a sexy garment if the body is in good condition. A hobbit birthday party would be fun but you can only do what you can.

MTMS,I don't remember you telling us about your Italian grandmother. So, know as I look at your picture I notice those Italian good lucks. Just look at Sophia Lauren or however you spell her last name.

Hi HT

Brandy I hope everything works out for you and that the stress level that you are feeling will be replaced with peace.

Hi Swabby. I hope your toe is better.

Well, I started reading LOTR yesterday. I always start in the summer and read through the book. I am going to go see POTC 3
today.

Hi Dimple I am trying to follow the French that you are saying but I just had High school French. It is such a beautiful sounding language.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 07:02
Think "sat nav" is short for satellite navigation. You know, those things that some people use in their cars to find their way around? Am I right, Cirdaneth?

I don't like hearing these things about your husband, Neenime. I've told y'all before how I went through the meat-grinder back in '91-'93 with my heart problems. It was really bad for me but I pulled through and did well until last December when I got another clogged vessel which they had to stint. Here I am still limping along on the rim 16 years after losing half of my heart. I'd have been worm food years ago if not for modern medicine, so keep the faith, Neenime. I'm living proof that they can patch us old warriors up and extend our lives way past our usefulness. Good luck with your dance, also.

Yes we did have a good bit of fun one time obsessing about rangers in kilts. As I recall, someone even used a bit of photo magic to stick my ogre head on a handsome kilted fellow's body. Now who did that? Hmmm. There were even some poems written about it. It seems a fine and appropriate subject to me if y'all would like to re-visit it.

Also, Neenime, I suffer from hamster brain too. I've been trying my hand at a little serious writing lately and I've had me pea-brain turn itself on and go into overdrive at 3:00 am several times recently. I don't know why it can't wait untill at least 5:30 to tell me about its new ideas.

I think you're a terrific addition to the group, Dimple. Please keep coming and telling us about yourself and your interests/endeavors. Oh, I have no parrot, just an over-active imagination and a marked tendancy to stretch the truth.

My toe is almost a natural color now, Awelyn, and looks like it might not fall off. I can't really say that about some of my other appendages.

Hello MT, Mith, HT and others. I gotta run to the kitchen and feed a teenager. Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 07:54
For my 50th birthday, I had an LOTR party, morwin, though I was the only true Tolkien fan in attendance. Ara-baby (my Aragorn standee) wore a party hat and held a bunch of balloons. Pictures from various old Tolkien calendars decorated the walls. Refreshments were served in silver goblets or on silver trays. Candles were lit throughout the room and the soundtracks were playing. Perhaps the most fun was sword fighting with my nieces and my brother. I kicked their tails!! No one else dared to take me on.

Lifting hubby's health up to the Lord, neenime.
My spirit will be with you as you dance those blessings out.
While in the grocery store the other day, I heard one of the songs we dance to in jazzercise. I had to stop myself from dancing the "moves" that go along with that particular song. Disaster was averted, though, and luckily the sound of "clean up on aisle 4" wasn't heard later.

Hope that you enjoy POTC 3, awelyn. I'm glad that you are getting out a bit. Give Capt. Jack a wink for me.:evil:
You are sweet to say that Sophia Loren and I have anything in common at all. I love you even though your eyesight isn't very good.

Re-visiting rangers in kilts is ALWAYS a good idea, swabby.:love: You actually looked very handsome in one yourself. I believe there was a comparison to you and Sean Connery.:heart:

MT

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 08:39
Thanks for the prayers and support, everyone. And special thanks to Swabbie for the personal testimonial. I think my sweetie may just have overdone it with some heavy lifting recently, thinking he's all hale and hearty. It's one thing to walk for 30 minutes at a steady pace. It's something else altogether to suddenly put a compromised heart under big strain. At least I hope that's all it is.

Say ---- I just realized something. I was looking for some background music while *cough cough* "working" . Found bits of the soundtrack from Kingdom of Heaven on Youtube. And there was Martin Csokas playing Sir Guy de Lusignan . I hadn't recognized him in the film (tho' I recall seeing the name in the credits). He looks quite different as a dark bearded baddie, compared to baby-faced, blond Celeborn. What good acting a fine make-up job will do!

T minus 5 hours for the recital . Getting excited. Thought I might catch a wink or two of shut-eye during my lunch break but there is enough adrenaline in the system that I just don't feel tired. That's OK, as long as I can sustain it all evening. Should be OK. When the adrenaline wears out the endorphins will take over.

[Edited on 5/6/2007 by Neenime]
LadyBeruthiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 02:04
Hi,everybody,

I just learned about this thread recently and I'm so relieved that I'm not the oldest person on the board! I confess, I haven't read all 537 previous posts, but I did skim through them and you all seem like a pretty nice bunch, so I think I'll drop in from time to time. I'm middle-aged--if I live to be 112.

I teach college English in southeast Georgia (USA, not former USSR) and have been a Tolkien devotee since 1965. I still have my tattered Ballantine paperbacks--the first authorized US edition of LOTR, and my relationship to Gandalf is very special.:heart:

I know I won't have time to be part of every conversation or to acknowledge everyone personally, but I figure if I add my general good will and occasional good words, the more will be the merrier.

Good thoughts and prayers to those struggling with sickness and trouble, and best wishes to everyone with something to celebrate.

Oh, yes, and for those of you with hamsters on the brain, I have some cats who would love to take them to lunch. . .

Warm regards,
LadyB
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 02:32
Hi everybody!
I'll send good thoughts and prayers from the bottom of my hearts to those who are not very good physically and spirituallyDon't discourage yourself IT'S THE WORST THING TO DO!

A ranger or elf girl ,hum I don't know but I like the idea of a ranger in a kilt.

Must go now .I'll probably come back tomorrow

Dimple
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 04:27
LadyBeruthiel : Welcome to the fray! Another English teacher. Yay! That's what I do except with younger kids. I teach 7th graders...eeuuwww middle schoolers...here on the PoG. I'm always looking for guidance in that department even though I've been teaching a l-o-n-g time.

The weather here has been grand even if a little wet. We were looking for wine racks...something I didn't think would be *that* hard to find...to put in the newly painted pantry and got caught in a downpour at the local outdoor mall. It looked as though the spousal unit and I had taken a shower completely clothed. 2.5 inches of rain fell in a half an hour. It was interesting for sure.

Hope this finds you all well or at least on the road to recovery.
Take good care.
Scots
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 02:32
HariTavaril: Hi! Atfer thinking about it, I'll take a Ranger or an Elf, as long as they make me believe that I'm an Arwen, Galadriel or and Eowyn. But seriously, a Ranger is very nice especially when wearing a kilt! There was a a guy playing bagpipes at my daughter's graduation last week, he was wearing a kilt, but didn't have the Ranger look. Pity...

cirdaneth: Don't worry, next time I will translate. Don't want to feel left out. I have the same belief as you: a little bit of goodness every day doesn't hurt. Gald that Ron is better and he's lucky to have a friend like you (and Ann too) .

MTMS: My brother's first wife is Italian. Her parents come from Campobasso, but I don't know where it is exactly in Italy. I would have liked to speak Italian, the most I can say is "how are you" (but I can't spell it). When I'm hearing Italian, it makes me crave Italian food. :drool:

Morwin Hi! How are things with you?

Neenime: I'd love to hear your report, thanks for dancing a blessing for us! I'll send good thoughts for your hubby and you. Try not to worry.

Awelyn418: I've been doing this too for three years now. I start with the Sil, then I wait till september 22th. Then I start the Hobbit and move on to LotR.

swabby: Gald you're still with us! I only have imagination with pen and paper. When I'm in front of a pc, it freezes me. I don't know why...:S I have to think of what I'm writing.

LadyBeruthiel Hi! I wish I would have the first edition of LotR...:love:

scots56: Hi!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 02:50
Greetings to all, and a special welcome to Lady Beruthiel . Always glad to have another Tolkien devotée on board.

Swabby you and i think the same. "Sat nav" = satellite navigation came to mind also! Now we just need the actual translation........

Well, I am happily tired after a wonderful concert last night. All the numbers went well, nobody flubbed anything or wiped out. Our Earth Dance was great fun. We painted our faces (I had lightning streaks and spirals) and we danced and grunted with thick, painted sticks. A bunch of Stick Maidens, we were (hahaha). Penelope's Song, the one that I choreographed, went beautifully.

Two of our pregnant dancers did a lullaby together and one danced with her husband in The Covenant Song.

Another number featured the singing of Isabel Bayrakdarian (from TTT soundtrack) singing Armenian liturgical music. The dance was called Journey and it was a farewell for our director's daughter who is moving away this summer. This is her only daughter, her youngest child and the last to leave home. A real :cry: but in a beautiful way! The women who danced it were especially graceful in full deep purple skirts and black sleeveless body suits. Can you imagine the lovely lines and swirling movement? They dance with her in various formations and at the end, she poses in a lunge forward, moving into her future, while they slowly back away, arms extended in blessing and support. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it.

Wish you could have been there , but I send all the blessings energy of our dances to all of you, who are a blessing in my life. :angel:
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 05:01
Oh Neenime, that was so beautiful I cried.

Can't stop, coz Ann is taking me to see Ron in an hour's time. It'll be my first time since it happened. It's a 40 mile round trip. I'll report back later this evening when I'm home again.

Hugs to all :hug: :hug:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 05:59
cirdaneth I am so glad you get to see Ron and it is good that you can be support for Ann.

Neenime how beautiful your dances sound. Oh, I wish I could have seen them. I also hope everything goes okay with your husband.

Hi Dimple you make a great addition to our group. My family can't understand why I read the same book every year. They think it is silly but we know better don't we?

Oh my goodness Scots that is alot of rain but did you find your wine racks? The weather has been grand here but we are suppose to get rain tomorrow. It has been good walking weather.

Lady B welcome aboard. I hope you don't mind that I shortened your name it is easier to remember.We always can make room for a Tolkien fan. Drop in anytime.

MTMS I didn't get to go see POC3 but maybe today or tomorrow. I was not walking enough was actually slowing down my recovery. So, I am walking twice a day and doing light house work and getting in the pool. I have not worked up the courage to swim yet. I just walk around the pool. Your 50th B-party sounded like it was fun.

Swabby I am glad your toe is better and a natural color. How is your son doing? Does your brother come over and watch LOTR movies with you still? I am eating good food but I have no taste for sweets since my surgery and that could be a good thing. I need to lose weight and maybe that will help.

Have a great day everyone I think I hear the laundry calling. Bye for now.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 06:35
It's good to have you with us LadyBeruthiel. Welcome. I'm that most strange creature that is seldom seen in these waters, the male Tolkein nut. I be an ex-sailor, (now pasturing in Arkansas) artist, bad poet, worse writer, guitar/banjo/ukulele player, chef, motorcycle rider/mechanic and some other things I'd rather not talk about.

Yes, I'm still here in the mortal world, Dimple. Tell me how your imagination works when you have paper and pen. Do you write? Do you do art?

I'm glad to hear your dance went well, Neenime.

I hope your short trip goes well, Cirdaneth.

My son is doing well, Awelyn. He's out mowing the grass right now. His sweetheart is gone to New York City with her drama class this week, so he's a bit lonesome, I think. They seem to be so nuts about one another it's going to be interesting to see just how long it'll stay that way. You could hardly seperate them with a crowbar since about last October, but now she's graduated and he's still in highschool. I suppose they're bound to break up one day, but I admit I've grown pretty fond of the girl and will miss her if/when they go seperate ways. Part of me says that he's got to experience more relationships and part of me says "she's a good one---better hang on to her." I probably worry more about his love-life than he does.

Gotta get to the kitchen and make some grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. Later folks, Swabby
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 07:32
It's sooo wonderful to have you here, LadyB!! It does my heart good to know that there is another Tolkien devotee in my neck of the woods.

I see that you are a kilt-fancier as well, Dimple. I admit that I sometimes find myself looking at and following men wearing kilts. I almost ended up in the men's bathroom at the Georgia Renaissance Festival on their Celtic weekend.

Had you in my thoughts last night, neenime. Your dance recital sounded holy and most beautiful. :angel:

Glad that you are able to see Ron, cirdaneth. Give him our love!!

Sounds like you need to have me around again, awelyn. I'll have you walking, swimming and maybe even dancing like neenime. Of course we'd relax by reading FOTR. Ever since I participated in the read-a-thon when I read portions of The Children of Hurin aloud, I've wanted to hear/read more Tolkien aloud. Maybe tonight..........

Young love is exciting, isn't it swabby?? That's how I feel about Ara-baby.:heart: There's deep devotion, fierce loyalty, innocence (well.maybe not that in my case) and abandon. Here's to keeping some of that young love alive in each one of us!! :cheers: :love: :naughty: :rolling:

MT
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 11:58
Well, I’m back and I’ve seen Ron and am feeling a bit relieved. There’s still a long way to go, but more of that in a minute.

I wish my brain was working better, and I could get my head round all the posts. I’m reading them but can’t get a proper grasp to write something encouraging/sympathetic etc as needed. Just be assured that I’m thinking of you all.

Yes, Sat-nav is satellite navigation. The one I’ve got for my granddaughter instantly recalculates your route if you take a wrong turning. It also connects to a bluetooth phone for hands-free calling, and has a connection for an i-pod and will automatically interrupt the music to give directions. Whatever will they think of next! Wasn’t there a TV character called Knight Somebody whose car talked to him? Now it’s all come true.

Ron is still quite poorly, but is being transferred to a specialist stroke unit at another hospital tomorrow. There he can have intensive physio and rehab. Despite earlier indications, there is still no movement on the left side. He cannot sit up unsupported, and has developed bouts of hiccups and spasms in his throat that shut off his breath. More distressing for onlookers than for him he declares. It’s caused by the lop-sidedness of his reflexes and should clear up soon. His facial muscles are much improved and he was able to drink from a cup with only a little trouble. Like when you’ve had a dental anaesthetic he says. His speech is clear although fairly faint and his mouth only opens on one side, but he is very very tired and sad, and I had a cry when I got home. It is pitiful to see him struck down so. Like the felling of a great and familiar tree ... leaves a helluva hole in the sky.

Anyway, Ron has asked me to quote Mark Twain and say that “reports of my death have been grossly exaggerated!” A vicar friend of his went in yesterday, and asked Ron if it was OK to say a prayer. Ron said “As long as it’s not the last rites!” So I think he knows he came close.

Got to clear up now and go to bed. Busy day tomorrow. Loads of :heart: ~ Cirdaneth
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 02:18
Happy D-Day to all. May we take a moment to remember and honour those who died in the service of the Allied forces on that beach in Normandy. A tragic loss, yet a vital component of the end of Hitler and his regime.

Swabby and I win! We guessed what a sat-nav is. So, what's the prize? A kilt-wearing Ranger and a Shield-maiden (you know which one of us gets which, right?)

Just a short note - any Phillip Pullman readers here? I see that the film version of The Golden Compass is to be released soon. Quite the star line-up: Daniel Craig, Nicole Kidman, Ian McShane, John Hurt, Eric Bana, Sam Elliot and Kevin Bacon.
LadyBeruthiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2007 03:51
Hi, everyone, and thank you for the welcome.

You can call me LadyB, I don’t mind. I chose my username because of the legendary cats of Queen Beruthiel, (I have 7) mentioned in LOTR, but later I found out that Queen Beruthiel actually hated cats, but they liked her, so she turned them into evil spycats. That is not my case, but it’s too late to change the username, so here I am. My cats are all lovebunnies and only evil when they’re bored. Then they steal small but necessary objects off my dresser and hide them.

It’s good to see so many creative people here–writers, musicians, dancers. Neenime, your dance recital sounds lovely. Maybe you can share your art someday through the wonders of Internet video.

Virtuelle’s haunting photo way back on page 1 drew me into this thread. All that soft, silver greyness–so Elvish, so lovely.

Scots, you’re made of sterner stuff than I if you teach middle school! I have my hands full with just two at home–one going into 9th grade and one into 7th. At least with college kids, you can remind them that they (or their parents) are paying for the privilege of sitting in your class.

Dimple, quand j’etais plus jeune, je parlais assez couramment le francais; je l’ai etudie neuf ans a l’ecole. Mais, ca fait presque 40 ans! J’en ai oublie beaucoup. Et puis, je ne sais pas comment ecrire la cedille, ni les accents a l’ordinateur,* so I guess I’ll just keep barging along in English for now. But my daughter just bought some Pokemon cards in French, so I may ask you for help with translation.

Hey, Swabby, Navy or Merchant Marine? My husband is a former Merchant Marine officer. You can take the sailor away from the sea, but you can’t get the sea out of the sailor. I wrote a poem about that a while back, which I may post here if I get the courage. Love all those folk instruments! I played folk guitar for years and years, but drifted away from it after my marriage. Too many other things to do, I guess. I still sing, though, with a chamber choir that does everything from medieval carols to a capella jazz.

Cirdaneth and everyone coping with illness, warm thoughts and healing prayers.

LadyB

*Translation, so as not to leave anyone out: When I was younger, I spoke French fairly fluently. I studied it nine years in school. But that was almost 40 years ago! I have forgotten much of it. Besides, I don’t know how to make a cedilla [the little comma thing under the letter c] or the accents on the computer. . .
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 02:21
I was in the US Navy, Lady B, and I served from 1967 to 1988. There's not much about that life that I miss, but it was quite rewarding. I think that bodies of water in general, but especially the sea have powerful unspoken influences on many of us. I could never get enough of gazing at the ocean, whether it was from the a sandy beach or the fantail of an aircraft carrier. There are so many thoughts and theories on this that could be explored, as I'm sure you know. The fact that our bodies are mostly water or that life began in the sea are just some of them.
Were/are you a folk music fan? That was my first real musical influence. I was nuts about all those early sixties folk-types like Dylan, Joan Baez, Peter, Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, etc. When I started learning guitar, I wanted to learn to finger-pick like many of them did. Although I own a couple of electric guitars, my true love is the acoustic and I play everything from a little classical to Beatles, Crosby, Stills and Nash and of course folk. When I pick up a guitar I often run through some of my old favorites like "Don't think twice, it's alright", "Freight train" or "Three Ravens". I have tried to find some old folkies locally to join up with me but have been unsuccessful. I also love all the great classical rock like Zepplin, Cream, etc, but I can't play that style. My younger brother does, though, and he has been playing those electric riffs with different little bar bands since the late sixties. Music seems to be the strongest creative gene in my family and there have been/are several guitar-players, including both of my older sons and a nephew. My youngest son hasn't expressed an interest in learning guitar yet, but I'm hoping he will. He took piano lessons for four years, played baritone in the school band and is in the choir.

Yes, D-Day is certainly a momentous occasion, Neenime. Perhaps such sacrifice will never again be necessary, but I doubt it.

Keep doing what you're doing in regards to your friends, Cirdaneth. They are fortunate to have you around.

Ah yes, MT, young love. Could there be a more potent elixer than that? Not in my view. Why, I'll bet an old falling apart geezer like me could be brought back to full-friskiness with a few drops of teenage love in my metamucil. Instead of old tired Swabby grazing in the pasture, you'd have bright-eyed, bushy-tailed Swabster jumping the fence and chasing-----chasing----- now what would I chase? Butterflies! Yeah, that's it!

Don't you be in that pool if it comes up a cloud, Awelyn. (I'm assuming you understand Arkansas hick lingo)

Have a great day, all you well-seasoned FoF-ers! Swabby

[Edited on 7/6/2007 by swabbythewhite]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 03:00
Needing accents for "l'ordinateur"? Voyez çe-la.

Alt + 130 = é
Alt + 131 = â
Alt + 132 = ä
Alt + 133 = à
Alt + 134 = å
Alt + 135 = ç
Alt + 136 = ê
Alt + 137 = ë
Alt + 138 = è
Alt + 139 = ï
Alt + 140 = î

Someone from FoF showed us these many moons ago. Was it Belle or Morwin?

:wave: Off to work. We have a weather watch today for the possibility of severe thunderstorms, hail and (The Valar forbid) tornadoes. Yikes! My sinuses sure can feel the pressure change!
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 04:59
Hey everyone! Glad to read your posts and see that things are going fairly well for all.

Neenime-I got my list of character cues from NenyaGold. It's taped on my computer. Also Congratulations on your performance. It sounds as though you had a good time. The dance you described about the director's daughter was beautiful. I could imagine it! Prayers for you hubby being sent your way.

MTMS
-I don't really like to camp either, but that is the only option for this training. I'm afraid I may freeze my backside off. It's unseasonably cold here. It's June and yesterday we were in the 40's.

Lady Beruthiel-Welcome! We are a fun bunch, lots of different talents and personalities but all with a love of Tolkein and an interest in spreading good will and good wishes.

Swabby-I understand your attachment to your son's girlfriend. Kids have a way of working themselves into our hearts and despite ourselves we find ourselves "adopting" the whole neighborhood. My daughter's boyfriend is very dear to us and because she is having a baby with him he will always be part of our family even if they don't stay together. Course I'm praying for a wedding, myself. I think they are just unsure of each other and of commitment. It's tough to start off with a child.

Wishing you all the best day ever.
Brandy
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 05:56
You were meant to be here at FoF, LadyB! You share so many interests and talents with several of us here. Your choral group sounds very exciting!! I love both medieval pieces and jazz. Actually the men in my life say that I listen to "head banging music" but I don't consider Les Zeppelin, Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Audioslave in that category.

A heart-felt thanks to those who participated in the D-Day invasion. They were courageous folk that gave their all for the sake of others. Thanks for reminding me, neenime. They showed that they definately are the greatest generation.

Something's not right with the weather, brandywine. Perhaps I should send some of my LA warmth your way. With the heat index factored in, it feels like 100 degrees here.

Thank goodness for a strong breeze. Wish some of those showers could find their way down here, awelyn and swabby. It's "crispy-dry" !

Miss you, mith! Hope that you've been having fun with your family. I'm sure that Ara-baby's missing you lots,too!:love:

MT sneaks off to Arkansas to slip something into Swabby's Metamucil!!

MT
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 06:07
Neenime: Wish I could have been to your concert
The accents for "l'ordinateur" great!

awelyn: Of course we do know better! It's like a bible to us. Mu daughter is reading it for the 13th time this summer!
No taste for sweets? In my house, my daughter is a chocolectic! There's never enough... Everything has to be tripple chocolate :nono:

LadyB: Welcome! :wave: I'm a new member myself (about 2 weeks) and loving every minute of it! Tu écris très bien en français I'll be gald to translate your daughter's Pokemon card if it would help.
Another artist among us! I sing too...in my shower, but I would love to be a choir. I love all kinds of music, but I've been listening recently to my daughter's music, which is Luca Turilli, Nightwish and Rhapsody of Fire. I think I like it ()

swabby: With a pen and pencil, the words just come to me. In my younger days (haha) I used to write poetry and short novels in French, but it was just for me. Its been a very long time since I wrote. I never did it in English but I'd like to try it. The most artsy stuff I can do is Christmas cards! (But it was for my daughter when she was little).
Ah! Love!:love: How wonderful it is when it's new! Always like spring when the leafs are tender and green!

cirdaneth: I'll call you the navigating James Bond! Glad you saw Ron. He seems to have a sense of humour, doesn't he? I think it's a good sign.

It's a wonderful day today. The sun is shining, my dog is splashing himself in a pond, the air is clean , the green is greener, the mountains around us are so close you can almost touch them. Life is good (la vie est belle ).
Warm wishes to all
Dimple

sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 01:34
Hi LadyB, fellow English teacher, welcome and well-met!

Yes, it's true!!!!! :disco: :cheers: :disco:

School's out!!!!!!!

And so begins my great exercise odyssey....walked my neighborhood loop twice today. Planning on doing jazzercise body sculpting twice a week and water aerobics twice a week in addition to my dawn walks. Got 22 pounds left to lose to get to my goal and darn it, it's the fat or me!!! One of us is going to win (been the fat up to this point).

Only four of my elflings will be returning for an encore next year which is something of a remarkable effort on our team's part.

One of my goals is to learn to download pictures from my camera and post them so you can look forward to finally seeing me, the tabby cat, and my garden, which I'm taking a Sam-wsie pride in, pitiful though it is.

I promise to post more often!!!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
LadyBeruthiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 03:09
Ah, Neenime, merci pour les accents. Voyons: Je suis tres contente d'etre ici. . . Non, ca ne va pas. I can always use the Insert function in WordPerfect , comme ça, but it slows me down.
Are those functions for Mac or PC, and do you have to hold all the keys down at once? I'm not sure I have enough fingers, LOL.

Yeah, Swabby, I'm an old folkie, too (that's folkie, not fogy). I was going to be the next Joan Baez, but they only needed one. Now nobody wants to hear the Child ballads any more. I studied classical guitar for about a year in college, which I loved, but I let it slide when I switched my major from music to English. My guitar is right beside me now, with about an inch of dust on the case. Maybe I'll be inspired to take it up again.

Sindy and Scots, I think we should form an English teachers' caucus and brainstorm ways to get all those little LOTR movie nerds to read the books! They don't know what they're missing.

I can't see how to review the thread to answer everyone, so I'll just wave goodbye--eek! when you preview your post, you lose the extra smileys, apparently. Picture me waving goodbye. I'll get used to it all some day.

LadyB
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2007 08:58
Hi everyone

Welcome Lady B to our crazy gang!

Heartfelt thoughts, healing Ranger and Elven kisses to those that need them.

I have had a busy week off work - been to see my new great niece (she is gorgeous of course) and seen POTC I enjoyed it but it was very involved, very loud and just a bit long. However it has inspired me to continue writing my LOTR POTC crossover. I couldn't resist the idea of Jack hauled up before King Ellessar for piracy and have just continued it from there. I might post it but I don't often with my stories however I do enjoy writing them. I have just got Will into the story and might bring Elizabeth in if I can work it, just so I can use this this line.

Aragorn to Elizabeth "Remind me to introduce you to the Lady Ewoyn"

Will have to see.

Love and hugs

HT:heart:
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2007 02:10
Sindy,
Is it the cry of the freedom?
Have a great summer and good luck with all the projects you are planning to do

HT
LotR and POTC? I would like to read what you have written so far,Must be interesting!

LadyB,
To answer everyone I have a pen and a pencil beside me and once I read them all I can answer trying not to forget anyone
I know it's foolish but I have no memory what's so ever

Must go now. It's the time of the week when my primitive instinct goes out the window! cleaning day:cry:
Dimple:heart:

swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2007 03:33
I see you're an early-riser like me, Dimple. Good luck with that cleaning! As for your creative endeavors, I'm sure everyone here would love to read some of your poetry if you ever feel like sharing it. Most of us here are creative, I'd say.

I'm glad to hear that you're still writing, HT.

Tell me about that dusty guitar, Lady B. I collect them and have over twenty. Is it a classical or a steel-stringed? I have several classicals, including a 1966 Favilla, 1968 S. Yairi, two Canadian made Kamouraskas, a 1979 Yamaha and an old Czech made Tatra. I usually play the steel-stringed ones though, and I have too many of those to list. Among the various makes is a 1974 Guild d-25 that I bought brand new, a Martin d-15, A Tacoma jumbo, etc.
I have also tried to get people who enjoyed the movies to read the books, but without much success. Horses and water ya know.

It's a pity we can't get our kids to listen to us better, huh Brandy? Do you think it would make a difference if kids and parents could trade places for a week or two? I'd like to think it would.

I look forward to seeing those pictures, Sindy. With all that exercising and body sculpting I'll bet........... well, I'd better zip it before I get in trouble.

I'm supposed to see my grandaughter today, but only briefly. My ex is bringing her up from Houston and will leave her with me for about 24 hours. On Saturday they're having our... gulp... 40th high school reunion and the ex and I will both be attending. There used to be a lot of hard feelings between us, but I've finally managed to let go of mine, and I think she has too. We were a terrible match and got married way too young. Typical, huh?

Have a great Friday, folks of the FoF. Swabby
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email