Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post Falling Doom
on: March 14, 2007 07:27
OOC Hello all! This story is based in the First Age just before the plague called the Evil Breath kills many of the people of the land which Hurin ruled, if you have any questions please look at the OOC and if you want to join PM me your characters and if you have any ideas you can send me those to.

Mearu raced through the forest, urgent to get home. She had been playing with young Urwen Lalaith and lost all track of time. Mearu knew that her Mother would be very upset when she got home.

Finally Mearu saw her house ahead, she slowed down.
She slipped quietly up to the door then opened it so that it didn't make a sound. Mearu smiled when she stepped into the room, her Mother must have been in the back room with Hlehhan.
Mearu planned to sneak upstairs and quickly change out of her dirty play dress.

As she began to walk up the stairs to her room Hlehhan raced out of the back room and began to shout loudly, "Mama! Melui is home!" Hlehhan smiled at her, but Mearu glared back.
Melui was Mearu's nickname, given by her Father.
Then Mearu's Mother came out, she put her hands on her hips and stared at her daughter. "Why did it take you so long to come home?" Mother asked.
"I lost track of the time. I'm sorry Mama." Mearu said sadly.
"I thought I told you that you had to watch Hlehhan. Next time I will be sure to send your sister for you if you take that long." Mother said.

Mearu was sent upstairs. Mearu knew that her sister, Merides, would never go and fetch her, she always thought that she was higher than everyone else, except Hurin and his family of course.
"Oh, what happened to you? You look like a terrible mess." Merides said, she shook her head.
"I was out playing with the pigs." Mearu said sarcastically.
"Well, what put you in such a terrible temper?" Merides asked, she started to brush her hair again.
Mearu just glared at her.

Once Mearu was dressed she was asked to watch Hlehhan while her Mama cooked supper. Merides was supposed to help watch him.
They took Hlehhan outside but they stayed by the house.
Mearu sat down on a stump and watched as people of the forest village walked around. She saw some hunters leaving to find more food.

Then some of Merides's friends came over and Merides quickly went over to them and engaged in conversation, leaving Mearu to tend to Hlehhan.
A few minutes later Merides began to leave with her friends.
"Wait! Merides! You are supposed to help me watch Hlehhan!" Mearu shouted. Merides looked back at her as if she was a servant.
"I think you are perfectly capable of watching him on your own, and besides I am much older than you and have many other things to do. I have no time to watch little children." Merides said, then she left with her friends.

Mearu glared at her and threw dirt in the direction that she left. "Why must my family be so terrible? My sister thinks I'm her servant my little brother doesn't care whether I get caught by Mama or not and my older brother is off traversing the land with Father. If only I could be with them." Mearu sighed. She loved her older brother Sigor. He had always been so kind to her, and she missed her Father as well. She loved her Mama dearly but she always made her do extra chores if Merides went off with her friends.

Then suddenly she felt a little nudge. Mearu looked down and saw the little lamb her Father had given to her before he left.
Mearu picked up Hwit, for she was still small enough to be carried, and walked back to the stump she had been sitting on.
There she watched Hlehhan jump into mud puddles and throw sticks and do all the things four year olds enjoy.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Falling Doom
on: March 14, 2007 12:23
Suddenly, a cold breeze blew across the fields, turning the heads of several of the hunters. The summer had only just began, and it was way to early for those kind of chills, they though among themselves. But it was midday already, and their families were hungry, so the hunters thought no more of it, and continued on their way.

Though if they had stayed for just a little, they would have seen that the wind did not come by itself. Something else came over the fields with it- a pile of bones that wasn't sure if it still could be called a human.

A girl she was, and a pile of bones indeed. She walked slowly, and wore nothing but a rag that might once have been a tunic. Her hair was tied back in a messy knot, and revealed some blond locks underneath all the dirt and dried mud. The only thing still pretty on her, were the big, hazel eyes staring blindly forward from their dark sockets.

Spotting the little boy playing in the puddles, the bony girl walked over to him. She completely ignored the looks she got from the crowd by the well, and knelt by the stump the boy's sister sat upon.

"Hi," she said, the smile stretching the thin skin of her face across her well-defined cheekbones. "Will he not get sick, playing in the mud like that?" Her voice sounded worried, before turning into mumbling. The girl sat down next to Mearu, embracing her knees, and began humming a lullaby her mother used to sing to her when she had been a child. Rocking slightly, the girl's humming turned back to mumbling , until she began repeating a sentence ove, and over again.

"It is coming for you too, it is coming for you, it is coming, it is..."

[Edited on 14/3/2007 by Sana]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 12:53
Mearu was shocked to see this very sickly looking maiden walk up to her.
"No, he won't get sick. He has played in the mud many times." Mearu answered, she watched the girl closely.

"My name is Mearu. What is your's?" Mearu asked, trying to remember her manners.
Just then Mearu's Mother walked out, a stunned look crossed her face when she saw skinny girl.
"Mearu! Get your brother and bring him inside, now!" Her Mother said, she had a concerned look on her face.

Mearu stood and ran over to Hlehhan, she picked him up and carried him inside, she wondered why her Mother was so upset.

When Mearu had gone inside her Mother walked over to the skinny girl.
"What happened to you?" She asked, she brushed a strand of the maiden's hair out of her face.
"Please, you must come inside. I will give you something to eat and some clothes to wear." Her Mother said.

Mearu was surprised to see her Mother bring in the maiden, but she was also happy.
Mearu walked over to greet the girl again, but her Mother gave her a stern look and she stopped.
"Will you excuse me a minute. I will go and fetch you something to wear." Mama said.

Mama took Mearu aside to speak with her.
"Mearu, you can see that that girl was very sick, and she may still be sick. I do not want you or any of your siblings to go near her until I check her and see if anything is wrong." Mama said.
Mearu nodded her head, then she handed her Mama a dress, it was Merides but since Merides was busy with her friends she wouldn't be needing it.

"Watch Hlehhan and make sure he stays with you." Mama said, then she walked back down the stairs.
Mearu walked back into the large room that she shared with Merides and Hlehhan, even though Hlehhan often stayed with his Mother.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 01:21
"I am.. I am.." The girl kept mumbling while the woman led her into the house. Sitting down on a wooden bench, she fell silent awaiting her return.

As Mearu's mother came back into the room carrying a dress, the girl tried to speak again. "I am not... sick," she said, tightening her fists as they lay upon the table. "I don't know if I was. I walked away." Her sad eyes met the woman's gaze. "But many will be. You, maybe. You must have heard, haven't you? It spread.. So fast.. The animals.. We had no time. My mama.."

Suddenly the girl broke out in tears, bending over the table, sobbing. "I left," she cried between the sobs. "I left them all.. I couldn't do.. They died, I left them.. Their eyes.. Blood, their coughs.. I walked away.. Walked for days..." Finally, the crying turned back to sobbing, and the girl silenced, laying halfway over the table.

[Edited on 14/3/2007 by Sana]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 02:34
"Oh you poor child." Mama said.
She carried the girl into her room and let her lay down on the cot in the corner.
When she came out of the room Mearu stood right by her.

"Is she all right?" Mearu asked.
"I'm not sure. Something must have happened to her family, I think they all caught a disease or something. She asked if it had come here." Mama said, she seemed concerned.
"We won't get sick, will we Mama?" Mearu asked.
"Of course not. Why don't you go outside and play? Take Hlehhan with you." Mama said.

Mearu didn't really want to go outside but she could see that her Mama was concerned about something so she took Hlehhan outside.
When she came outside she saw many hunters returning from being gone for a long time.
"Papa! Sigor!" She shouted as she ran over to them.

Sigor laughed and patted her head as she threw her arms around him.
"How have you been Mearu?" Sigor asked.
"Fine. But we found a skinny girl today, she hasn't told us her name yet but Mama says that her family caught a disease." Mearu said.
Papa seemed concerned about that.

"I'll go and speak with Mama about this. Where is Merides?" Papa asked.
"With her friends." Mearu said.
"All right, well I'm going inside to see what we are going to be having for dinner." Papa said with a smile.
Mearu could tell he was concerned about something too.

When he went inside she followed and put Hlehhan in his room.
When she saw that he was napping she slipped into the room where the girl was.
She knelt beside the cot.
"What is your name?" Mearu asked. "I would like to be your friend." She smiled at the girl.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2007 02:48
"Ceri," the girl replied from the cot. "Cerilyn." She lay hurled into a ball, with her hand under her head, looking at the little girl sitting next to her. "Thank you. I'd like that, I'd like to be your friend." She reached out, and grabbed Mearu's hand with her bony fingers. It was much warmer than her own, and Ceri squeezed it before letting go.

"Do not be afraid. I am not sick. I didn't get it. Everyone else did. I didn't.. They all just fell asleep, I think they slept.." Her voice went into mumbling, and the girl closed her eye. Two tears found their way from the corners of her eyes and ran down her face, disappearing into her hair.

"Where am I?" She asked Mearu after some time. "Is this the village of the one they call Hurin? I have to tell him. He must prepare his people. You can't fade away like we did, he can't have it, it can't be an option."

[Edited on 15/3/2007 by Sana]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 04:26
"Yes, Hurin is our ruler." Mearu said. "But I would have to ask someone, for I have never spoken to him myself, only to his daughter and son."

Then she heard the door open. "Merides must be home. I will talk with my Papa about you meeting Hurin. I'm sure he can do something about it." Mearu said with a smile.

Mearu walked out of the room and went to see what Merides had been talking about with her friends, she was always good at finding information that hadn't reached their ears yet.
But when Mearu walked into their room and saw Merides she looked rather pale.
"Merides, are you all right?" Mearu asked.
Merides turned and looked at her. "Yes, I'm fine. Justs a little tired I suppose." Merides said with a smile.

"Children! Come, supper is ready." Mama called.
Merides stared at the floor for a moment, then looked back at Mearu.
"Could you tell Mama that I'm too tired to eat?" Merides said, she laid down on her bed.
Mearu looked concerned, but Merides shook her head.
"Really, I feel fine. Go and eat supper." Merides said.

Mearu ran into the room where they ate.
"Where is Merides?" Mama asked. She was trying to keep Hlehhan in his seat.
"She said she was to tired to eat." Mearu said, she looked a little nervous.
Mama also looked concerned. "I had better go see if she's all right. Sit down Mearu, you can start eating without me." Mama said as she rose and quickly left the room.

Mearu sat down. "Nothing is wrong with Merides, right Papa?"
"No, I don't think so. Maybe she just caught a chill, the weather has been getting very nasty." Papa said with a smile.
Sigor put his hand on top of Mearu's.
"You don't need to worry about her. Now come on, lets eat this delicious supper before it gets cold." Sigor said with a smile.
Mearu smiled back, but something still worried her.

(I thought we could kinda get it started now. Elfalas you can jump in whenever you want. I have some plans for what is going to happen to Mearu's family, but I won't reveal them until they happen.)
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 09:16
Sirioldad had been walking around for a while, not knowing where he was headed. He had been in a scouting group of Elves and they had been separated. He was trying to find them again but had wandered into the forest and he knew not where in all of Beleriand where he was.

All he knew was stick to the path and perhaps he would eventually come to a familiar place. He and his father had gotten into a heated dispute about his past and future. His father had actually ripped him away from his mother to bring him here to this land only to be plagued by constant battles and fights. He let out a sigh of frustration and kept walking, his hand on his sword at his side.

His bow and quiver were on his back as usual and opposite of his sword was an Elvish made dagger. He felt good being out of the caves but he wished to see the hidden city, but he knew he could not. Sirioldad pushed his complicated thoughts out of his mind and saw a house ahead.

"Perhaps whomever lives there shall help my path become striaght once more." He walked up to the house and knocked gently on the door, his head reaching just at the door frame. He was very tall and slim, his head framed by loose red brown hair. It was the color of rust and his eyes were stone grey.

Sirioldad stood there and could here some people talking, judging by their voices they were all female. He stood and waited sometime, then decided to try somewhere else. He turned slowly and walked away, his feet dragging soundlessly on the carpeted forest floor.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 09:31
Sigor heard a knock at the door and rose to his feet.
When he opened the door he saw the back of a tall Elf.
"Hello friend, do you need help?" Sigor asked.

Mearu had followed Sigor soundlessy to the door. Her eyes widened when she saw the Elf, she had only seen a few Elves in her lifetime.

Then Mearu ran into the room where Cerilyn was still laying.
"Cerilyn! You must come and see! An Elf has come to our house." Mearu said excitedly.
She grabbed Cerilyn's hand and quickly led her out of the room.

Mearu went straight up to the doorway this time, she smiled at the Elf.
"My name is Sigor, and this is my little sister and her friend." Sigor said as he motioned to the girls.
Mearu smiled, an Elf had never come to their door before.

Just at that moment Mama came out of the room and she saw the girls crowding the doorway.
"You two, go and eat your supper. Let Sigor take care of the Elf." Mama said.
Mearu reluctantly left the doorway and went back into the dining room.

Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 11:24
Grabbing the door-frame for support, Ceri admired the Elf standing only several feet in front of her. She had never before seen such a marvelous creature, and the simple splendor of the sight drove her into forgetting that she was starving.

Returning to the table at Mama's request, the girl sat down in silence. She ate her soup quietly, letting her starved body get the nutrition it claimed. "It's delightful, thank you." She said, putting her spoon into the empty plate. Putting her hands in her lap, Ceri sent a smile to Mearu across the table.

She had grown fond of the young girl, in spite of knowing her for only half a day or so. Remembering her own siblings, the smile fainted, leaving a gloomy look on her worn face. Even if she wasn't willing to admit it, Cerilyn was tired and needed a bath.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 04:32
Mearu turned to her Mama after supper.
"Mama, is Merides all right?" Mearu asked.
"I think so, but all the same I want you to share the back room with Cerilyn, Hlehhan will stay with me. I would hate for you all to catch cold." Mama said with a smile.

Mearu went back to Cerilyn. "My Mama said that my sister will be all right. And I was wondering if you might like to have a bath before bed time." Mearu said with a smile.

Then she turned to Sigor. "Could you fetch some water for Cerilyn, Sigor?" Mearu asked.
Sigor nodded. "Will do." Then he walked out.
Hlehhan ran over and grabbed Mearu's hand. "I want a bath to Mearu!" Hlehhan whined.
Mearu rolled her eyes. "Papa, he can't have a bath tonight." Mearu said.

Papa walked over and picked Hlehhan up.
"She's right you know. What you need is to sleep, come on." Papa said with a smile as he carried the squirming child into his room.

After Sigor had poured some water into the bath tub he went into his room.
"Well, whenever you're ready Cerilyn. It might be cold, but you need to wash up. I'll go and get one of my night dresses." Mearu said as she rushed out of the room.

Mearu ran upstairs and into her room, she had forgotten about Merides being sick and when she ran in she heard a moaning sound.
Mearu gasped when she saw Merides, she looked stiff and in pain. Mearu could see sweat drops on her forehead.

"Mama! Come quick! Merides is very sick!" Mearu cried.
Mama rushed up, surprised to see that she was feeling so badly.
"She has a fever. You had better leave nopw Mearu. I would hate for you to catch something." Mama said, she sat down beside Merides.

Mearu backed out of the room slowly, then ran when she reached the stairs.
When she came back into the room she looked very worried.
"Merides is very sick now. I'm scared Cerilyn." Mearu said.
Her young cousin had died last year from a fever, she hoped that Merides wouldn't die from the fever.

But little did anyone know that this was not just any fever, a plague had come upon all the people of Brethil.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 05:57
Thanking Sigor and Mearu for the bath they had set up for her, Cari carefully took off her dirty rags, and loosened her hair from the ribbons. Sinking down into the water, she let the worries of the world go away for a moment.

When the girl finally got out of the tub, the water in it was nearly as dirty as she had been a short while ago. But with the dirt gone from her body, Ceri actually looked a bit more normal - apart from being rather underweight. Her skin was clean again, and her blond hair hung in long, blond waves over her shoulders. The nightgown she was wearing was a little too small, but it didn't matter. For the first time in very long, the girl was neither hungry nor dirty, and was going to have a good night sleep.

Suddenly Mearu came into the back-room, looking worried. "Merides is very sick now. I'm scared Cerilyn." A shiver went through Ceri's body. It was starting again, it had to be. As in a trance, the girl walked over to the bed on which she had lay before, and sat down. "It's going to be all right. Don't worry." Most of all, Ceri wanted to believe her own words. It mus not have come here, not yet.

Crawling inn under the covers, the girl closed her eyes. "Sleep, Mearu. We must sleep now. Then everything will be okay."

[Edited on 16/3/2007 by Sana]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 07:08
Mearu didn't want to sleep, then she remembered the Elf that had come to their door. Sigor migvht still be talking with him, and Elves could heal almost anything.
"I'll be right back Ceri, I need to speak with my brother." Mearu said, then she rushed out of the room.

When she came into Sigor's room she saw him speaking with the Elf. Mearu ran over.
"Master Elf, we need your help! My sister, Merides, has a fever and I'm worried about her. Can you heal her?" Mearu asked, her hazel eyes stared up at the tall elf.

Sigor was troubled by this news, but he did not show it.
"Mearu, you need to sleep now. She will be well soon, now go to bed. Mama will take care of it." Sigor assured her.
"But she is in pain Sigor, I can't bear to see her like that. Please help her." Mearu begged.

Sigor sighed, he knew that he couldn't persuade her.
"You do not have to help if you don't want to. The fever will surely be gone in a few days." Sigor whispered to Sirioldad.
Mearu made a face at Sigor, then looked back at Sirioldad, waitng for him to answer.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 08:25
OOC: Yay thanks for letting me join

IC: The air is still, thought Hithgalad, there was a feel of death about the place, it permiated the skin, the mind, everything. He patted his horse's neck more so for his reassurance then for the actuall horse's.

A plague...he knew that it was there, it lurked within the reaches of the shadows, it followed him. He glanced about, looking for any living thing, he could see none. Spurring his horse on, Hithgalad wondered at the speed at which this plague had travelled.

He had seen it attack many villages, and he had thus avoided them as best he could. He did not relish the idea of maybe catching the plague, or at best carrying it to other places. But it was everywhere, it seemed.

He rode through the day, and well into the evening, until he came upon a small house. He should warn them of the plague, he should warn them if he could, if they weren't already infected that is. He rode up to the door, sliding off the back of his horse.

Standing at 6'2 he was not so big as to be intimidating, but not so small either. His white hair hung loosly about his shoulders, encircling his head was a sliver-leaf band. A traditional item that he valued. His pale grey and white cloths were barely touched by the long road that he had travelled. He ordered his horse to stand and walked up to the door. Maybe if they would permit him he would stay the night. He gently knocked on the door, and waited.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 08:43
Sigor rolled his eyes when he heard the knock at the door.
"Mearu, go answer the door." Sigor said, he obviously wanted her out of the room.
Mearu glared at him then walked over to the door and opened it.
Her mouth dropped open when she saw another Elf standing at their door.

"Can you help us?" Mearu asked, she hoped that this Elf would be able to help Merides.
"My sister has a fever and although everyone keeps telling me she'll be all right I don't believe them. Can you come and look at her?" Mearu asked, she hoped he would say yes.

Just at that moment Papa walked over, he had already laid Hlehhan down to sleep.
"Hello friend. What brings you here?" Papa asked.
Mearu looked up at Papa. "He is going to help Merides."
Papa looked down at her, then back at the Elf.
"My name is Hyrde. We will be happy to assist you in anyway." Papa said.

Mearu folded her arms across her chest, why would no one listen to her.
Then she heard Hwit outside and Mearu ran out to get her.
"Papa, can Hwit stay inside tonight, it's awfully cold outside." Mearu asked.
"Yes, keep her in your room though, now go to bed." Then he turned to the Elf. "Would you like to come in?" He asked.

Mearu ran to her bedroom and closed the door, but she placed her ear against the door to see if she could pick up pieces of their conversation.
The lamb cuddled into Mearu's arm, as if trying to hide from something.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 08:54
Hithgalad looked at the small girl who opened the door.

"Can you help us?" "My sister has a fever and although everyone keeps telling me she'll be all right I don't believe them. Can you come and look at her?"

He wasn't given a chance to answer before her father-at least that was what he assumed the man was-spoke to him. Hithgalad smiled, a ghostly smile, but a smile none the less.

"Would you like to come in?"

"Yes, please." He said, and he stepped into the thresh hold of the house. He closed the door behind him, it was indeed a chill night.

"Forgive my intrusion, my name is Hithgalad, I had hoped to find shelter for the night, and also to give warning. A plague has been sweeping the lands around here. Several villages have been hit already by it, I have seen no survivors as of yet." Hithgalad said with remarkable calm, though he was worried, what if this other, Merides, had the plague?
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 09:04
Cerilyn was awakened by the knocking on the door. She had been dreaming. Visions of rain and thunder deserted her thoughts slowly as she sat up on the edge of the bed. The premonition of a Storm had managed to make it's way into the mind of the girl, leaving a tensed feeling of worry on her wrinkled forehead.

It was as if she was standing on the cliff not far from her home, staring down upon the mighty sea, listening to the roar of the waves below her. In the back of her mind Ceri recalled having had this sensation before, right before the last time... Her chain of thoughts broke off, unwilling to go back there. She had been lucky enough to escape the plague once already, twice would be too much - for both body and spirit.

Unsure of what to do, the girl remained seated on the bedside, watching the kitchen through the opening in the door. People were walking back an forth, discussing matters in hushed voices Ceri could barely hear. She restrained herself from walking into the kitchen, unwilling to be more of a burden than she already was. Perhaps they all would quiet down soon and Mearu could come to sleep.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 09:17
Sirioldad sat down but got up as a child raced into the room. His features were covered in confusion and a trace of fear in his eyes. HE had heard of some sickness falling on some villages of the race of Men, and he wandered if this could inded be the same. HE heard another Elf come in and Sirioldad smiled at the thought of all of them being in here for the night.

"Excuse me, for I do not wish to be rude, but would you mind if I slept outside? I feel it would please me more than sleeping here. I also think that the home may be a bit small for so many." Siroldad stood up and made to go outside, but first he picked up his armour and weapons agian and put them on, then his emerald green cloak.

His armour shined from a small opening in the cloak and he pulled it aound him tighter. He smiled at the family members and excused himself, walking outside for some air. HE sat on a stump, lost in thought. "HOw am I to find my company out here, I have no clue as to where I am headed, or where they could possibly be for that matter."

He talked aloud, not keeping silent. HE liked the sound of his voice when he thought, it helped him think deeper and get a grasp on a situation, much like this. HE let out a frustrated sigh and stood, his tall body reaching skyward. Under his sleeves he could feel his muscles tighten and pull, all of them becoming hard.

He smiled and then got his sword out, deciding to clean it off from the last battle. The cloth was covered in blod when he was finished and he then procceded to sharpen it.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 09:30
Mearu went back into her room when she couldn't hear anything. She saw that Ceri seemed worried.
Mearu held little Hwit in her arms, the lamb's soft wool comforted Mearu.
Mearu sat down beside Ceri.

"Are you all right?" Mearu asked. She placed her hand on Ceri's shoulder.

Hyrde looked concerned when the Elf named Hithgalad spoke of a plague.
"Please come and sit down. I would rather not let the children hear about this." Hyrde said.
Then Mama came downstairs, fear was written on her face.
"This is my wife Sibbya." Hyrde said, then he looked up at her.
"What is it Sibbya? How is Merides?" He asked.

Sibbya began to weep. "The pain seems to worsten with ever passing minute. She keeps asking me to make the pain stop, but I can't. It hurts me so much to not be able to help her. I swear I have tried everything." Sibbya said, she covered her face with her hands.

Hyrde embraced Sibbya, trying to calm her. Then he looked at Hithgalad.
"Has the plague come upon us Hithgalad? Is there no way to stop it once it has affected someone?" Hyrde asked.
Then Sibbya looked up at Hydre.
"What of the other children? Will they catch it as well? What about Hlehhan!" Sibbya asked frantically.
Hyrde turned to Hithgalad, waiting for his answer.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 09:44
He followed Hyrde without question. He could understand the parent's concerns. He would not wish for the children to hear such dismal news one way or another.

He nodded in greeting to the man's wife, and felt his heart ace when she told of the one child's illness. It did sound like the plague, he had only seen several cases of it, most people died to quickly for anyone to be able to do anything. It was painful, and the fever and coughed up blood that was brought with it was terrible.

"Has the plague come upon us Hithgalad? Is there no way to stop it once it has affected someone?" "What of the other children? Will they catch it as well? What about Hlehhan!"

Hithgalad shook his head sadly, "I am unsure...I do not know if it is the plague. If it is then all here willl probably get it and die, unless you leave right now. I am sorry, I do not mean to bring such horrible news. Maybe I can help Merides...if it isn't the plague then she should recover soon enough. But if it is..." He just shook his head.

Hithgalad felt sorry for this family, and for all the others that had been affected by them. "Lead me to her, I will do what I can, though I can promise nothing." He looked up at them, his eyes unfathonabel.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 09:56
"No, I am not." Ceri answered without hesitation. Turning to the girl beside her, she smiled. "But I will be." She rose silently from the bed, and walked over to the only window of the room. "The Elf," she spoke, eying the form of Sirioldad not far from the house. "I wonder what he is doing. Look, there is blood on his blade," she gestured for Mearu to come over. "Should we go out and talk to him?"

As she spoke, her gaze went hazy, reflecting the golden light from outside. The sun had not yet set, but it couldn't be far from it.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 11:34
"I don't know. Sigor told me to stop bothering everyone." Mearu answered. "And Papa told me to go to sleep, but I know a way to sneak out of the house. There's a back door, do you think if we went out there he would help us?" Mearu asked.

Hydre led Hithgalad to Merides room. He was reluctant to go in himself, not wanting to catch or spread the disease but he walked in anyway.
Merides seemed to be in a fit from the fever, but she had not coughed up blood like Hithgalad said that all victims did.
"Merides, Papa is here. Calm down, someone has come to help you." Hydre whispered.

Merides opened her eyes slightly and she gripped her Father's arm. "Papa, a darkness keeps chasing me. It's trying to kill me, please help me! I don't want to be swallowed by the darkness, I don't want to be alone." Merides begged in a raspy voice.

A tear came to Hydre's eye. "I can't do anything Merides, but this Elf has offered to do what he can for you, but you must be calm." Hydre whispered.
Merides relaxed a little, but she was still tense and fearful.

Meanwhile Sigor had gone outside to fetch some firewood for his Mother. As he walked to the pile of wood he began to feel dizzy, so he sat down. But sitting down didn't seem to help any, and soon he began to feel very warm so he took off his cloak.
Sigor knew something was wrong and quickly stood and turned around to make his way back home but he collasped.

(I thought that maybe when Ceri and Mearu go outside to talk with the Elf they could find Sigor there and ask the Sirioldad to take him in the house)
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 12:01
Hithgalad sat down on the bed beside Merides. He gently placed his palm upon her brow.

"Merides, I need you to be strong now, do not let the darkness over take you. Tolo dan nan galad..." He said quietly to her. When he had her attention he spoke again. "I am Hithgalad. Your father tells me your name is Merides...a very pretty name." Hithgalad spoke to her, trying to desract her from her pain. "Have you ever travelled beyond this house? The world is an incredible place...filled with wonders beyond comparison." He kept talking along this line, keeping her hopefully occupied.

He felt her forehead, it was indeed very warm, but he did not see any of the blood that came with the plague. Perhpas it was only a fever. But he doubted it. He turned to her father, talking in a hushed voice.

"I can not tell if it is the plague, she has not all of the symptoms that I saw in the victims. But they may develop yet. My advice is to not let anyone else near her, not for another few days at least. There is not much I can do. I'm sorry." He looked at the little girl on the bed. He had not wished to be the bearer of such news, but maybe it would be good in the end. Maybe.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 01:13
Merides stared at Hithgalad, listening as best she could to what he was saying. She would nod or shake her head to answer his questions.

Hyrde was sad that he could only really offer advice, but he thanked him for the advice anyway.
Then Hydre showed Hithgalad to Sigor's room, Sigor had agreed to share his room.
"Thank you again Hithgalad. Any advice is useful advice." Hydre said, then he left the room.

When Hydre told her what Hithgalad had said she shook her head.
"I will not stay away from my daughter. I will be the only one beside her." Sibbya said stubbornly.
Hydre nodded his head, someone needed to take care of her.

Sibbya went upstairs and made herself a bed of blankets in the corner of the room. Most of the time hs stayed beside Merides, the fever didn't break at all and she wondered if the Valar had sent some sort of punishment upon them.
The rest of the night Merides did not speak, she seemed to be unconscious almost.

Mearu and Ceri slipped outside to talk with the Elf, but to their surprise they saw Sigor laying on the ground.
"Sigor!" Mearu screamed.
She ran over to his side and tried to wake him up but he wasn't waking. Then his eyes flickered open and he began to cough, blood came up.

Mearu jumped back and screamed again. "Sigor! You're bleeding!" Mearu shouted.
Sigor lifted his hand up to her. "Help me, Mearu, help." Sigor whispered.
Mearu was almost to afriad to touch him, she didn't want to catch what he had.
Then an idea came to her. "I'll go and find that Elf, can you stay with him?" Mearu asked, then she took off without another word.

When she came up to the Elf she took in a deep breath.
"My brother is dying! He coughed up blood! Can you help me take him inside?" Mearu asked frantically.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 01:45
At the sight of Sigor's body, Ceri froze. The blood coughs. Sudden illness. She had seen all this before. "Mearu.." She whispered, but no-one heard her. This couldn't have been her fault. It was his sister who got ill first, and Ceri hadn't even talked to her. It must have been something else.

Suddenly it was as if all of Ceri's senses were sharpened, telling all of her instincts to do one thing - get away.

Jumping forward, Ceri grabbed Mearu around the waist, and pulled her away with an amazing strength. "Do not touch him!" She half-screamed into the girl's ear. "Let the Elf, he won't get infected, the Eldar do not suffer our illnesses."

In spite of Mearu's obvious disagreement on being dragged away, Ceri managed miraculously enough to pull the girl to what she considered to be a safe distance from her brother. Falling to the ground, did not make her loosen her grip - it only tightened. "Please, Mearu," she whispered. "Don't touch him, don't get ill. This is the plague, it has to be. Please do not go there!"

The struggle rid Ceri of her last strength, making her nearly loose consciousness for a moment. Unwillingly, she let go of Mearu, hoping with whole of her heart that the girl would not try to help her brother any further.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 01:53
Hithgalad accepted the room quietly. He was sorry that he could not help more. He wondered, perhaps she did not have the plague. She seemed coherent, people who had caught it were not.

He sighed inwardly, it worried him. Something still nagged at him, the plague should have reached here, he could feel its presence. But it was not affecting them. Why? Maybe he was over reacting.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 04:14
Sirioldad heard the young girl scream and he jumped up, thinking some enemy had taken her or she had been attacked by an animal. He ran over to the two girls and saw the young man on the ground.

"Stay back, if it is this plague everyone is talking about, then you do not get near him, understand? I know it shall be hard, but do not suffer yourself the torture of this disease." He picked up the man with no effort and carried him to the house.

He decided against it and took him through the back to another room and sat him down on a table. He then went upstairs to where the household was gathered.

"Another is ill, but he is coughing up blood. I sat him in a room downstairs but none of you is to go in there or you shall fall ill as well. Let either me or the other Elf take care of him please. I do not wish for your whole family to fall ill from this plague and we cannot spread it to other households, so we need and try to prevent it."

Sirioldad walked back downstairs and went to where the man was. "Hang on, young one. Can you tell me your name so that I will not have to keep calling you that? Tolo dan nan galad, stay here qith me. Do not wander, here drink this, it might help. I have never had experience with the Race of Men before or thier sicknesses, so I am at a loss as to what to do. Please, drink it."

Sirioldad held some of the liquid up to his mouth and helped him to drink it. He was worried that the family would get it and therefore perish, which was bound to happen, for it was inevitable. He sighed and stayed with him, tryingto keep him there until the other Elf could get a good look at him and determine if it was the plague.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 04:57
"Sigor, that is my name." He whispered.
Every breath he took in seemed to shake his body, and he coughed often. Then he grabbed Sirioldad's arm, he had a pleading look in his green eyes.
"Don't let the others have my same fate, send them away. Send Mearu away." Sigor whispered.

Mearu began to cry when she came back into her room.
"Is this the plague that came to your land?" Mearu asked between sobs.
Mearu loved her whole family and would hate to see any of them sick, but Sigor she loved most and did not want anything to happen to him.

Hydre felt very helpless when Sirioldad told him that he could do nothing and that he had to stay away from his own son.
Sibbya began to weep, but she was now very protective of Merides.
"I will not leave her side, even if she also has the plague." Sibbya said.

Hydre knew that he couldn't take her away from Merides, she would die before leaving her daughter's bed side.
So Hydre went down to his room, where little Hlehhan was sleeping peacefully.
Hydre knew that he would not sleep, not while his house was in turmoil and his children dying.
But Hydre did thank the Valar for sending them Elf friends to help them when they needed it most.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 10:50
Hithgalad heard commotion downstairs. He rose to his feet and walked out to where the sounds were coming from. he saw them carry the boy in and he rushed into the room. He glanced breifly at the other elf before turning his attention back to the boy.

Hithgalad knew with a sinking heart that this boy did have the plague. The boy was burning up, and the bloody froth on his lips were not from any cut.

"It is to late for him. We have to get the rest of this family out of here or they will soon suffer from this lad's fate." He said to the other elf.

Hithgalad walked across the room to where Hyrde waited. "You have to take your family and get out of here. The lad does have the plague. We..." He indicated the other elf-who's name he did not know-"will do what we can to aide you if that is your wish."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 01:39
Hydre's eyes widened with fear, but then he became stubborn. "I will not leave my son alone when he dies, but I will send the rest of the family away." Hydre said.

Hydre went into Mearu's room, he was holding Hlehhan, who was sleeping.
"Mearu, and Ceri, you must leave immdiately. Sigor has the plague and it threatens the rest of the family. I have decided to send you to your Aunt's house, I can only hope that she is far enough away from the plague." Hydre said.

Mearu stared up at her Papa, she had fear in her eyes. Hydre laid Hlehhan in her arms.
"But I can't leave you Papa. Won't Sigor be well again?" Mearu asked. Tears rolled down her cheeks.
Hydre shook his head sadly. "No, he won't get well."
Then Papa handed her a bundle of clothes and some other things that would aid them on their travel.

Mearu looped a piece of rope and put it around her lamb's neck, she would not leave Hwit behind.
Then she turned back to her Papa. "Is Mama coming?" She asked.
"Yes, I was just going to get her." Hydre said, then he turned and walked out of the room.

Meanwhile, upstairs Merides was still not much different. Sibbya stayed beside her, not willing to leave. Then suddenly Merides began to have a coughing fit, blood came up when she coughed.
The fit was so sudden and so harsh that Sibbya wasn't sure what to do. Moments after the fit began it ended, and the plague took it's first victim in the house, Merides.

Sibbya sat there for a moment in shock. She stared at her daughter's still face, but it seemed peaceful now.
Then Sibbya heard Hydre calling to her from outside the door.
Sibbya rose and walked over then stepped out of the room and closed the door.
Hydre could see by the look on her face that something was terribly wrong.

"What's wrong Sibbya?" Hydre asked, he grabbed her shoulders.
"Merides is dead." Sibbya whispered, she sounded as if she didn't believe it herself.
"What have we done to rinf such grief upon our home?" Hydre cried.
Sibbya fell into Hydre's arms and began to sob, reality set in.
"Sibbya, I am sending the other children away, but I want you to go as well." Hydre said.
"No! That I will not do." Sibbya said.
"Why not Sibbya? We cannot send the children alone." Hydre said.
"But I have been exposed to the plague, i cannot go. But you still can. Go with them Hydre." Sibbya said.

Tears welled in Hydre's eyes, he would be leaving his son and wife behind. His heart ached from sadness.
"Go." Sibbya whispered.
Hydre nodded and quickly walked down the stairs and gathered the children and took them outside.
"Where is Mama?" Mearu asked.
"She is staying." Hydre whispered.
Mearu could see that it was troubling him a lot.
Mearu hugged him. "Maybe they will join us Papa. Merides doesn't have the plague, she will join us with Mama." Mearu said.
Hydre pulled Mearu back. "No, they will not be joining us. Merides is dead, Mearu. She had the plague as well, but it came upon her differently." Hydre said.

Mearu held Hlehhan closer to her body. Fear entered her heart.
Then she took her Papa's hand and looked up at him with determination. "We can make it Papa, we can all be a family." Mearu said, she looked over at Ceri too, meaning at she was part of their family as well.
Then they all began to walk away from the home that Mearu had been born and raised in.

I turn thirteen on this day, but no one would have known because today was the worst day in all our lives. I lost a Mother, a brother and a sister all in one deadly strike. Today will never be forgotten, even when all the people who lived through the Evil Breath die from old age or war. This will be written in the histories of the world, and not even the world will forget, for it aches from all the death and evil in the world.

Mearu wrote this down on a single piece of paper that she had found among the other things that had been absently thrown into the pack, she never lost it and kept it all her long life.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 02:25
Hithgalad shook his head sadly, watching the remaining family-except for the mother-depart. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder then returned to the boy's side. It was only a matter of time before he died.

It was horrible to watch these poor families die. No matter how many times he had watched them die it still hurt a little more each time. Hithgalad knew that there was nothing he could do for them, and it was not good for him to brood over it.

Hithgalad looked over at the other elf, "Such terrible circumstances to meet you, friend." He said quietly.
Sana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 05:45
Walking hand in hand with Mearu, Ceri was nearly blinded by the tears assembling in her eyes. She felt guilty, lucky and terrified at the same time. This was her second time escaping this plague, and Mearus siblings didn't even get one. The girl knew that she couldn't even imagine how her younger friend felt right now.

Ceri herself had not seen her family die one by one, but she knew they were dead nonetheless. The sight of her mother coughing blood the morning of her leave, had burned it's way into the girl's mind, scarring it forever.

In an attempt to wipe her tears away, Ceri rubbed the sleeve of her nightgown around her eyes. It was the only thing she wore, but it didn't bother her. Her feet had walk far to much to get sore again, and she had just eaten. Sleep was not something she worried about yet, because she knew that when her body couldn't work any more, she would pass out of exhaustion like she had done for so many days before.

Knowing that this way of functioning was bad for her, didn't change the girl's mind in any way. She just kept on walking, and holding Mearu's hand. Nothing she could say would make this all go away, but Ceri had to let the little girl know that she was there for her anyway.

[Edited on 18/3/2007 by Sana]
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2007 03:05
Sirioldad smiled sadly at the other Elf. "Yes, these are not the best conditions to meet under. I am Sirioldad of Nargothrond, I lost my company in a battle not too far from here and I was going to ask this family if they had seen them, but the crisis they found themselves in was more urgent than a lost company of Elves. They have my second in comand with them so I do not think they will be wandering aimleesly in the wilds."

Sirioldad's voice was somewhat deeper than other Elves' voices. He stood at about six foot six and he was very lean and nimble. His vision and hearing were hightened even for an Elf, for he was always used as the scout and watch when traveling.

"Well, shall we see what we can do? I have a feeling that we can do nothing to help make Sigor better, but perhaps we can ease the pain for him some how. Pardon me, but what is your name and from whence to you hail? The girl upstairs is quiet and so is her mother."

Sirioldad was thinking aloud and he looked out the window to see the family taking off alone and by the looks of it, no sort of protection.

"The girl must have died, there goes the two young girls, the babe, and their father. Does it look to you that they have any sort of protection on them or weapons? It may seem safe but the evil creatures are more numerous and they attack small unnarmed groups for an easy target. Should I lok for weapons to give them, or let them go in such a manner as to certain death?"

Sirioldad looked over at the other Elf as he finished his question. He felt uneasy letting the family go with no way to protect themselves if they came across any of the creatures.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2007 06:24
Mearu was very much afraid, but she tried her best not to show her fear.
She looked around cautiously. Her hearing was heightened because she couldn't see very far ahead of her.

After a little while of walking Hlehhan began to cry, and Mearu couldn't stop him even with her sweet words that she whispered to him.
"Mama!" Hlehhan continued to say over and over.
Papa quickly took the boy into his arms, and Hlehhan began to relax although he still seemed upset that he could not be held by his Mother.

Sibbya was permitted to sit beside Sigor because there was no way she could escape the plague now. She ran her fingers through his shoulder length, brown hair and tried to comfort him as best she could in his last hours of life.
Then he turned to her, his eyes looked wild and afraid.
"Is Mearu gone? Did she go away?" Sigor asked.
Sibbya nodded. "She is gone, they are all gone."
Sigor laid his head back and closed his eyes. Sibbya watched her second child die on the same night.

Sibbya was overwhelmed with sadness, she began to sob loudly. She could only hope that soon the plague would send her away to be with her children.
Then she stood and walked out to the Elves. She tried to regain her composure when she spoke to them.
"My son is dead, and I have a request to ask of you." Sibbya said.
"I ask that you bury my two children and once you have done that I want you to leave and follow the rest of my family." Sibbya said.

She could see that they wanted to argue against her wish of staying alone and dying, but she shook her head.
"You have no reason to stay and I want my living family to be safe. I believe they are planning to reach my sister's house, but she lives deep in the forest and they will need Elves to help them reach it. Do this for me as my last wish." Sibbya said.

minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2007 06:31
"Well, shall we see what we can do? I have a feeling that we can do nothing to help make Sigor better, but perhaps we can ease the pain for him some how. Pardon me, but what is your name and from whence to you hail? The girl upstairs is quiet and so is her mother."

He had listened to the elf's words, determining that he was the older. He was not nearly as tall as this elf, standing at 6'2, but indeed, with the diadem he wore, and his more ancient wear it gave the impression of high birth.

"I am called Hithgalad of Valinor, though I have not seen its fair shores in a number of years. I have no home here, so I do not name any." He thought for a moment on the elf's last question, "I think that we should go with them. But the mother will not leave her child, not while he lays here dying..." He looked to the lad with gentle eyes. "We should go with them." He said at last. "Let us find the mother, and then go. I fear that few of them will know how to weild a sword. And I have a spare that can be used at least. Come..."

Hithgalad made to walk out of the room, then stopped to look at Sigor. The lad was almost dead, he could sense it. "Go now in peace, child." He said in the aincient tongue of the elves. The sweet words rolled off his tongue and he remembered Valinor, his home, the beauty that was there, and the beauty that had been lost.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email