Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
Post Conquering Helcaraxë (KEEP)
on: May 01, 2007 06:03
OOC: I know the idea of writing about characters crossing over mountains of ice seems pointless, but I wish to differ. In creating the very scope of Helcaraxë, Tolkien has mentioned very little, so the capacity for description increases by bounds. Moreover, the elves suffered great hardships and tragedy over the ice and that is a base from where stories can be created. I also feel it gives ample opportunity to interact with the great High-Elves, Fingolfin, his sons, Galadriel and her brothers! There were hundreds of elves crossing over Helcaraxë – and that would entail hundreds of stories.

That makes me wonder if such an idea has been attempted before, if it has I am slightly glad that I have not seen the corresponding thread, because I do not want to be “influenced” by the ideas there; and if it has not been attempted, then I guess we really have a fresh scope to imagination for a start.

Two important factors need to be mentioned: firstly, do remember that the Elves who left Valinor were known to each other by their Quenyan names, I would request those who are accepted to write in the thread to please use those names as opposed to the Sindarin ones that the Elves received after they settled in Middle-Earth. Secondly, when taking on the speech of an epic character, like Fingolfin, for instance, please try and attribute dignity and weight to his or her dialogue and write what you think he or she would have said in the situation (in keeping with character) – instead of what you feel he or she ought to have said.

I would be grateful if all those who wish to join in would read the rules BerethEdhellen has compiled here. Though it is meant for the Totally Tolkien threads, I would like for them to be observed in my thread as well as a matter of discernment and integrity.

I have also started an Out-Of-Character Thread here

If anyone wishes to join, please PM me, or write in the OOC thread, but please bear in mind that I wish to keep the writing as close to canon material as possible. Needless it would be to point out, that only Elves need apply to the thread.

IC:
CONQUERING HELCARAXË

Erumelmo, elf-lord from the House of Aleaningwë, stood looking out to the cold sea. The winds from the sea carried shards of frost but the very land he stood on emanated a bitter chill. Behind him the Pelori Mountains rose, but he would not provide them a fleeting look. All he could cast his eyes on now was the distant east.

There was the doom of his family predicted. He lifted his deep-set, dark brown eyes, which seemed black now, as black as he felt his spirit to be, to the skies. They were a riot of darkening colours, gloomy cobalt and shadowy black, streaked with dim indigo. The stars hid themselves from his searching gaze. The very air seemed rank, for the smell of blood would not leave him still.

Other elves from the great host of Nolofinwë crowded the shores of Araman. They had all caught sight of the smoldering orange to the remote end of the eastern sky. The wind grew stronger and colder, but the elves heeded them not. The murmurings grew louder as they realized the perfidy of their own kin who had set sail towards Middle-Earth, a scream of anguish piercing the icy wind every now and then. His cloak whipped about his legs and his hood fell back under the gust of a determined wind, the same squall lifted his hair from his shoulders and pulled it away from his face.

His face was not angular, like his youngest brother. It had a high forehead, lines across the mouth that indicated a man who liked to laugh and eyebrows that indicated pride. Now the mouth carried no traces of a smile and the eyes held no spark.

Erumelmo felt a presence on his side. He did not turn. He felt his sister’s warmth through the cold air buffeting him. Errant strands of her dark hair flew before his face and he blinked slowly.

Elnaira was beautiful; but she had never been aware of her beauty. Her light brown eyes and dark hair were shared by all her siblings. They received their colouring from their father, Oropher, who had wedded their mother, Isilwen Míriel, daughter to Ingwion, son of the great Vanyar King, Ingwë. She resembled none of their forebears, though Erumelmo resembled his grandfather in the manner of the way his gaze disconcerted those who it set upon.

“They have burnt the ships.” It was not a question.

Erumelmo kept his silence. Thoughts and judgments flew into his mind like the snowflakes that were beginning to descend from the skies. Fanuiamarth, their youngest brother, had left with Fëanáro. He had been the one who had taken great offense at how the Valar had wronged his friend’s father. Fëanáro had powers of coercion that none could have ever guess the extent of. Now Fanuiamarth was with him.

Erumelmo still maintained quiet.

Elnaira’s tears made no sound. “There is no need now for me to begin words with “if”, Mel,” her voice rang clear, despite the wind, “but you know I made this choice out of love for my family.”

Finally, Erumelmo spoke. “I know, Ella,” he said softly. “If I would not believe so, I would never have allowed your will to be done.” He turned fully but his eyes would not rise up to the mountains beyond. “I have met with Nolofinwë and he proposes a march.”

They moved towards a shelter made out of a natural rock formation against the wind. Erumelmo’s twin brother, Elerossë, sat there calmly. His eyes held pain but his body seemed completely tranquil. The furs that covered his body had been pushed down to his stomach. The tunic he wore was ripped at the abdomen, patches of dried blood around the tears. He had been wounded by a Telerin arrow at Alqualondë. Makalaurë had helped in stopping the blood flow and helping Elerossë with the pain – but he was gone now, away with his father, Fëanáro across the Belegaer Sea.

“The ships do not mean to return?” Elerossë asked.

“They have been set alight.” Elnaira stated.

Elerossë squeezed his eyes shut, pain was now apparent in his posture.

“You are to be kept covered, Ros!” Elnaira’s voice sharpened. “The –” Her hands stopped their worrying over Elerossë’s furs. She turned abruptly to look at Erumelmo. “A march? Nolofinwë advises a march?”

“Helcaraxë,” Elerossë whispered, his eyes fixed on his twin.

“Helcaraxë!” Elnaira exclaimed with an intake of breath. She stood in one fluid motion. “The shifting ice?”

“That is where Nolofinwë decides to lead us.” Erumelmo said wearily.

Elerossë came to his feet slowly, Elnaira tried to help him, but he used the rock at his back for support. “Then that is where we shall follow.” His voice was resilient.

Elnaira turned to the north. “The mountains of shifting ice,” she whispered. She turned to Erumelmo. “Fanuiamarth said –”

“The ships have been burnt.” Erumelmo stated flatly. “You saw the light that cast a fell glow in the eastern sky. There is deceit rampant there and Nolofinwë has gathered it from the sounds of the sea and the smell on the air. Artanis has felt it.”

Elnaira cupped her mouth with her hands. “Only the Valar have ever taken the path over Helcaraxë. We do not even know whether the evil from Avathar made the crossing successfully!”

“That is the only path available to us, Ella.” Erumelmo bent down to begin gathering their meager possessions. “Unless you wish to return to Valinor.” He stopped to stare up at her.

Elnaira straightened her back. Her eyes spoke volumes.

“I thought not.” Erumelmo resumed his work.

[Edited on 8/5/2007 by Rish]

[Edited on 9/3/2010 by BerethEdhellen]
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Conquering Helcaraxë (KEEP)
on: May 02, 2007 08:07
(Hey Rish, I sent a message to you and you can take a look at my character Rilnen, she is in the db)

Rilnen sighed sadly, she heard the elves around her say that Fëanaro had burnt the ships and no one would return for them.
Rilnen wanted to see for herself and walked over to where many stood. Her brother was staring out also.

Rilnen slipped her hand into Rauron's, tears began to roll down her cheeks when she watched the flames from afar.
"I do not understand this, but I am not surprised by it. Only Fëanaro would make such a rash move." Rauron said, his dark brown hair blew around his face.

"I'm afraid Rauron. How are we going to survive?" Rilnen asked, she looked up at him.
"I will ask Lord Nolofinwë , he will tell us what we must do. I advise that you go with Mithwen." Rauron said, then he let go of her hand and walked away.

Rilnen slowly walked over to Mithwen, she saw her taking shelter with some other Noldor elves. Mithwen had a haunted look in her dark eyes, it frightened Rilnen.
"Rauron has gone to speak with Lord Nolofinwë." Rilnen said as she sat beside Mithwen.

Mithwen had dark brown like her brother, Rilnen was the only one that had been born with black hair like her Mother.
Mithwen was usually a very happy elf, in Valinor you would often find her running and dancing through the land, but now she looked completely different.

"It will be alright Mithwen." Rilnen whispered. Mithwen looked over at Rilnen, she looked angry. "Alright? You think everything will be alright now? We killed many Telerin elves and now we have been left for death to claim us and you say it will be alright!" Mithwen said, her voice rose slightly with anger.

Rilnen stared at the ground, Mithwen sighed. "I'm sorry Ril. I'm just scared, I don't know what we will do. We do not have the Valar on our side anymore." Mithwen whispered sadly.
"But Lord Fëanaro said that the Valar was the enemy, and that's why we left." Rilnen said, she cocked her head a little.
"Lord Fëanaro is wrong, but nothing can be done to change things now." Mithwen said, she pulled her cloak closer.

Then Rauron came over, he explained that they planned to cross the Helcaraxë. "No, that will be too dangerous a route." Mithwen said, her eyes were wide.
"We must, we have no other place to go, and Valinor is not a route I would choose." Rauron said, his eyes showed that he was worried too.

Rilnen stood and took Rauron's hand again. "As long as we are together, I think we'll be alright." Rilnen said, she smiled a little.
Then she noticed another family near them, she saw one seemed to be wounded. He had the same look on his face as Mithwen did. Rilnen walked over, she wondered if they needed help, she was a skilled healer.

"Aiya, essenya Rilnen." Rilnen said, she bowed her head.
"I saw this injured elf and wondered if you needed help. I have skills in healing and since we have such a long journey ahead..." Rilnen trailed off, she didn't want to think about the journey.

(I hope thos works, translation for the elvish: Greeting, my name is Rilnen) (I hope I corrected everything, Nolofinwë is the right name for Fingolfin I hope.)

[Edited on 2/5/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]

[Edited on 2/5/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 10:37
OOC: Yes, Nolofinwë is the right name for Fingolfin.

IC:
The snow had begun to fall precipitously but the winds had not increased their vigour. The flakes clung to the eyebrows and lashes of the Elves nearest to the shore.

Erumelmo stood straight and looked at the elf who had spoken. He had seen her face before. His eyes narrowed as he thought back to just where. Elnaira had come to her feet as well. Her face registered recognition.

“Aiya, Lady Rilnen,” Elnaira greeted, bowing her head. “Mayhap you do not recall the time of our meeting for it was much too brief, but I have spoken with you in the House of Arafinwë. I am Elnaira of the House of Aleaingwë, friend to Artanis, daughter of Arafinwë. These are my brothers, Erumelmo and Elerossë.”

Elerossë smiled wanly. “Well met, my lady, but this elf is not as injured as my sister would like him to believe.” His smile turned on Elnaira.

Erumelmo nodded at Rilnen, though he did not smile, the weight of his circumstance was too recent. “Elerossë would like us to believe he is invincible against blade, my lady – but we all know that the condition of the elves on this shore has altered to perilous intensity. He smiles; but I know the pain he goes through. I can feel it – for I am bound to him. I am his twin brother.”

Elnaira blinked back a tear. She knelt down again and opened the coat that covered Elerossë. “My lady, your help is met with my deepest gratitude.”

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 12:08
Rilnen listened to them, she bowed and smiled. “I would be most honored to help.” Rilnen said with a smile.

Rilnen knelt beside the one named Elerossë; she removed the fur and looked closely at the wound.

“Well, it is not a terrible wound, but it is fairly deep. I thankfully remembered to bring some herbs with me for this adventure.” She did not let her eyes off the wound as she spoke.

Rilnen worked slowly, so that she would not make any mistakes. Her fingers were very nimble and quick with applying the needed herbs and salves.
After a while Rilnen stood, she had finished with wrapping a fresh bandage around the wound.

“There, he will be fine. It will still be sore for a while I’m afraid, but even healers have their limitations.” Rilnen said with a slight smile.

Rilnen bowed and excused herself; she wanted to be with her family now. Rauron was still standing and watching the last flames lick the ships that were now unseen. Rilnen went and sat beside Mithwen.

“How do you feel my sister?” Rilnen asked.

Mithwen did not look at her. “Well enough. I will not need your herbs.” Mithwen said coldly.

Rilnen’s eyes dropped from her sister’s face. “I was just worried about you.”

Mithwen realized she had no reason to be angry at her little sister. She put her arm around Rilnen.

“I’m sorry again, Ril. I'm afraid I am not in a good mood at all. I am just angry at Lord Fëanaro and the Noldor that left us behind.” Mithwen said as tears began rolling down her cheeks.

Rilnen put her arms around Mithwen’s neck and hugged her tight.

“Don’t worry, Lord Nolofinwë will take care of us; he’ll get us to safety.” Rilnen said; then she released her sister from the embrace.

Mithwen smiled a little. “You are ever the bright little song bird Ril; always thinking on the bright side of a bad situation.” Mithwen said.

Then Rauron came back over, looking very solemn.

“When will we leave?” Rilnen asked.

“When Nolofinwë deems us to be ready.” Rauron said. He sounded so serious.

Rilnen sighed, she wondered when their expidition would begin, but she wasn’t sure she should look forward to it.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 01:26
“She has dressed the wound well,” Erumelmo mumbled, looking over his brother. The wind had lessened a bit but the snowflakes still gathered in the air. The ground was now covered a hand deep under the snow. The elves feet did not sink into the element and that kept their feet dry, though if they would fall to their knees hard, the snow would give way. Erumelmo gracefully came to his feet. Elnaira replaced the cover of the tunic over the dressing.

Elerossë looked up at him. His brown eyes twinkling. “She did not say which house she came from, or whether she was wed.”

Elnaira’s eyes widened and Erumelmo cocked an eyebrow sharply. “Elerossë!” She exclaimed, knowing her brother’s eye for beauty. “We are in the midst of a snowstorm, the Trees have been extinguished, kin have been slain, Fëanáro betrayed us, Fanuiamarth is lost to my eye and we make provisions to cross the Helcaraxë – and you think of whether Lady Rilnen has wedded or not?”

Elerossë flashed a sudden grin. “There is beauty to be seen everywhere, sister, if one but opens his eye to it. You choose to look back and repent, I choose to look ahead and prepare.”

A corner of Erumelmo’s lips curved upward. “You bring a smile to my lips in the darkest hour, Rossë.” He knelt back down. He put an arm around Elnaira and the other around Elerossë and pulled them close. “As long as you are here, I am comforted.” He willed his tears to stay away. “I wish our youngest was here. I wish that things were different.”

“So do all who stand on these shores in this cold, Nolomelmo.” Elnaira and Erumelmo turned to their left. Artanis stood tall against the wind. She held her billowing cape with her right hand at the hip, her silver-gold hair streamed out in the direction of the mountains. “What you have to decide is whether you chose to live in regret, or meet the challenges of fate and rise to the occasion.”

Elnaira stood up and wiped her left cheek with the back of her right hand. She embraced Princess Artanis. “A Princess from the House of Ingwë should not shed her tears so lightly, Elnaira,” Artanis chided. “Others may claim weakness at their sight.”

“I am not as strong as you, Artanis,” Elnaira smiled. “Your spirit was always the more potent.”

Artanis smiled in return and walked over to Elerossë. She bent down and caressed his cheek. “Strength comes not from the Spirit,” she pronounced, “but from the Will.” She stood straight and turned to Erumelmo and Elnaira. “Your wisdom and strength is needed now, Elnaira and Erumelmo of Aleaingwë. After Atarinya left, his people now look to Findaráto and me. Findaráto has as his friend our cousin, Turukáno, for help. I need your aid, for you, the descendants of Ingwë through the line of Ingwion, are also my cousins. Findaráto has Turukáno. Shall I have Elnaira and Erumelmo?”

Elnaira and Erumelmo bowed their heads, without even looking at each other.

“So it shall be done.” Artanis took a deep breath. “Take whatever provisions you can carry. Spread the word, and collect those who wish to follow us. Nolofinwë shall lead the host, then it is we who follow and Findaráto and Turukáno make up the rear multitude. Make haste for the sky grows dark over the east. There is a storm coming.”

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2007 04:21
Soon news came to Rauron that Nolofinwë was leading the elves across the Helcaraxë now. Rauron picked up his pack and helped Mithwen to her feet. Rilnen stood and stayed close to Mithwen and her brother, she would hate to be lost in this cold place.

“Come sisters, we don’t want to be left behind.” Rauron said. His long strides took him farther from them, but not out of sight.

Mithwen walked slowly, her heard still very heavy. Rilnen hooked her arm in her sister’s and tried to make her walk faster.

“We don’t want to be left behind.” Rilnen said.

Mithwen did not answer. Rilnen sighed, then she noticed Elnaira and Erumelmo and Elerossë just ahead of them. She smiled.

“Come Mithwen, you must meet them. I know that you have met them before, but you have not seen them for a while, come on!” Rilnen said with a smile. She pulled Mithwen along.

Soon they were both walking beside the other family. Rilnen bowed her head.

“Hello friends, we meet again. This is my older sister.” Rilnen said as she gestured to Mithwen.

Mithwen looked over at them, in her eyes you could still see her terror and sadness. Her eyes almost seemed dead, like there was no life.

“I am Mithwen, of the house of Meresaro.” Mithwen said bowing her head slightly. She always remembered the formal greeting, it was the only way she introuduced herself.

Then Rauron fell back to be beside them.

“Mithwen, why don’t you come ahead with me. I have need to speak with you.” Rauron said.

Once they had left Rilnen lost her smile, she stared sadly after her sister.

“My poor sister. She has had so much pain. She was engaged to be married, but the elf chose to follow Fëanaro and leave her behind. It hurt her so much, but she said their engagment was broken before he left with Fëanaro.” Rilnen said in a quiet voice.

Then she blushed, she had just been talking on, sometimes she did that.

“I’m sorry, I’m sure you have had great pain of your own. Forgive me but sometimes my tongue goes on without me thinking.” Rilnen said.

Then she pulled her cloak closer around her, snowflakes crowned her head and stuck to her eyelashes.
She had never felt such cold before, she had never felt cold before. Then as she looked ahead she became very scared, where were they going? Would they ever get a chance to see the stars again? Now all the stars were veiled in mist and many elves became heart sore for them.

“We will get out of here alive.” Rilnen assured herself. But for some reason she was not assured.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2007 03:10
Taurohtar had been in a state of shock and disbelief after the Kin-Slaying. Feanaro had heard of his skill with weapons and had tried to get him to join the battle, but he had refused and not until he had been approached by Nolofinwe had he come out of the shock.

Nolofinwe led the rest of the elves to the beginnings of the Helcaraxe, the Grinding Ice. What was their lord thinking, many elves though and muttered under their breath. All Taurohtar knew was that he was no longer welcome at home and that Feanaro could no longer be trusted, so he would follow Nolofinwe until he died.

The great Elf-lord had head of him going against the wishes of Feanaro, but he had also heard of his prowess with weapons and had a job for him. As the wind whipped the snow around Taurothar, Nolofinwe approached him and asked him to search out the elf Erumelmo and to serve him, the elf was highly important and wanted him protected. Taurohtar immediately agreed, such was the charisma of the elf-lord looking up at him.

It took quite sometime because of the dark and the snow, and soon his bright green eyes were strained and tired from staring through the snow falling all around him. "This will take forever with all of these elves." He muttered. To others, it would seem that he had given up, but Taurohtar would never give up on anything until its utter failure or until he succeeded.

Eventually, Taurohtar stumbled upon the right path. With a couple exceptions, the whole group of elves he had stumbled upon had the same basic features, dark hair and dark eyes. 'Well, I guess I should find out which one Erumelmo is' Taurohatr though to himself.

"Aiya lord Erumelmo!" he called in his gruff voice. Taurohtar slide down the small hill and was soon standing before the elf who was slightly shorter than him, but most were. "I am Taurohtar Hehta. I have been sent by Nolofinwe himself to serve you. What is your command?" Taurohtar asked resting his right hand on the pommel of his sword and leaning against the spear in his left.

((ooc: I hope this satisfies you Rish. Hehta means abandon, or forsake, Taurohtar is referring to himself like this because of his family disowning him.))

[Edited on 4/5/2007 by TurinTurimbar]

[Edited on 6/5/2007 by TurinTurimbar]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 11:14
Nolofinwë was tall. His eyes were a brilliant blue and seemed to give out the only light untainted by the surrounding gloom. His dark hair mingled with the surrounding dark, but his face shone. The determination in his eyes passed onto the High Elves standing before him: princes and princesses they were, his sons and nephews and nieces. All of them deceived by Fëanáro.

His gaze scanned each one. There stood his sons, Findekáno, Turukáno and Arakáno, his daughter, Irissë, and his daughter by marriage, Elenwë. There were the sons of Arafinwë, he who had returned to the halls of the Valar: Findaráto, Aikanár, Angarato, and his consort, Eldalôtë, and finally, Aranfinwë’s only daughter, Artanis. Beside her, stood the grand children of Ingwion: Erumelmo and Elnaira.

Erumelmo was like a son to him as Findekáno loved him like a brother. Erumelmo would often be found in his childhood, running around the House of Finwë. His oldest son had developed a fondness for Erumelmo, ever since the latter was a decade old. Nolofinwë narrowed his eyes as he noticed someone’s absence. “Erumelmo, tell me, where is your brother?”

“He rests, High King. He was wounded at Alqualondë.” Erumelmo explained.

Nolofinwë raised his head a notch and his stare grew intense. Something flittered across the blue. Was it trepidation? “He will need it, Erumelmo.” His glance then scanned the others. “We all shall need it before the end. The journey we embark on will be hazardous. I shall not lie. There shall be those who will not make it to the end.” His gaze stopped at Angarato for a brief moment before moving on to Elnaira. “Let this be the place where you decide your own fate, my kin. Let this place be where you decide to take on a path which could – nay, would – lead to bereavement, or head back to where you shall still be forgiven and accepted. The choice is yours.”

He paused and none of the Elves standing before him blinked. Moments passed and the snow fell silently between them.

“So be it.” He said, breaking the silence around him. “You have chosen to follow me across the Helcaraxë and into the land of Middle-Earth, in pursuit of Fëanáro and the Enemy. What fate has in store for each of you,” he looked out at the swarming elves falling back towards the mountains, “I cannot tell. You are now the Noldor, those with knowledge. Use it not sparingly.”

Erumelmo and his sister had returned to gather their possession. The air now was biting. It seemed as though it were the teeth of some wounded animal lashing out in retaliation against some unseen menace.

“It is a warning.” Erumelmo whispered against the wind.

“A warning that, by need, must not be observed.” Elerossë stated. Erumelmo turned in surprise and quickly grabbed hold of his younger brother’s arm to steady him. Elerossë had walked a few paces to come and meet his brother and the exertion had already caused his face to pale – he was the colour of the snow that raged around them.

“You need to conserve your strength! For all your words of wisdom, you conduct yourself without good sense.” Erumelmo reprimanded, albeit gently.

“Hence,” Elerossë said with a smile, and wide eyes, “Artanis calls you Nolomelmo and not me.”

“Domdol,” Erumelmo muttered, taking most of Elerossë’s weight onto his right shoulder. Elerossë’s smile widened into a grin.

“Elerossë Manarnéca!” Elnaira had come upon them. Her form whipped around to stand in front of both of them. “You are not fit to walk around –” Elnaira paused; she realized what she was saying, hastily, she amended, “needlessly!”

Elerossë’s face did not lose the smile. He looked at Erumelmo. “Onóro, our sister is just as wise as you are, ‘twould seem.” Then he looked at Elnaira fuming before him. “Needless would be the path we take in a matter of instants, but as providence decrees, the needless now becomes the needful and the needful is rendered useless.”

Elnaira opened her mouth to speak, but she could not find words with which to refute his. She gave up with a sigh. Walking toward the other side of Elerossë, she lent her own support, until they came to where their belongings lay. They had their meagre possessions tucked into two large cloaks. Elnaira had managed to find some sea weed which had drifted across the rocky shore; she knew it was edible. She made sure that word spread around regarding it. Within no time, the coast of Northern Araman was picked clean of each strand of the marooned weed. Supply of food would not be a problem.

The sea to the southern side of Helcaraxë would provide them with food. Or at the very least, Elnaira thought, if there were no fish to be caught because of the ice, they would be able to suffice on the flesh of the animals that the males would hunt down if the need for food became grave. She remembered Yavanna Kementári mention large, semi-aquatic animals living in the northern reaches of the world, the Odobenii. They would have to pursue these for food. Elnaira shuddered. She did not like the idea of killing animals for food. She had stocked a supply of Lembas, but the journey was long – too long now it seemed to her – and there would come a time when food would be sparse. But hunting and killing?

Suddenly, memory of the blood soaking into the earth at Alqualondë filled her vision. She gagged and her hand flew to her throat. She looked up into the skies. Dark, they were, like congealed blood. She squeezed her eyes shut. What had she done? Remorse cascaded over her, nearly strangling her. Then she remembered Fanuiamarth and her eyes dropped to the eastern horizon. Where was he? How did he fare? She knew he wanted to get back to them. She could feel it as she could feel the cold on the bare skin of her face.

She hoped he would not turn thoughtless in his anger. Her hand gripped her throat tighter as she remembered his last words. He had promised them he would return. But the swan ships had been burnt. He would not be able to keep his promise. He had vowed that, if he would not – could not – return, his body would perish. Tears slid down her cheeks heedlessly. They turned into ice and froze to her skin.

Fanui, she thought. Ai, Fanui.

The sound of Erumelmo putting on his armour brought Elnaira back to the present. She plucked the ice from her face and let it fall into the wind.

Erumelmo chose to wear his armour. It was made of a fusing between rough bark and leather and covered his chest, shoulders and forearms. He carried Elerossë’s on his back. He bent to pick up Zarussë, but Elerossë extended his hand. “I will carry my sword, Mel.” Elerossë stated firmly. “That much I will do.”

Erumelmo handed the sword to his brother without hesitation. “We are to first assemble at the shore and then divide unto the chosen leaders.” He explained to Elerossë. “Rossë shall be with me, Elnaira.”

Elnaira stopped, compelling her brothers to stop as well. She bit her lip. “I still do not approve of the High King’s strategy.”

“Nolofinwë has given the task of organization to Artanis and Findekáno, and they mean for the hosts to be flanked by members from the High Houses. They are right.” Erumelmo said quietly. “It concerns me that you will be away from my sight, but reliability falls to our house as well, since we are related to Ingwë. You know this. Your guidance will be essential, since I manage the reins to the right while you manage the left. And by way of mean strength, it is I who shall be able to bear Elerossë. But I have spoken to Nolofinwë concerning you being alone and he means to send help.”

Elerossë groaned. “I find my state insufferable. Though doubt not that I shall be able to walk for a league without assistance.”

Erumelmo smiled. “Aye. I do not doubt that.” He placated. “But you shall have my service nonetheless.”

They resumed their pace. From the corner of his eye, he noticed someone approaching and he turned his head. It was Rilnen and with her came another slender elf.

“Hello friends, we meet again. This is my older sister.” Rilnen said as she gestured to the other lady.

“I am Mithwen, of the house of Meresaro.” Mithwen said bowing her head slightly.

They greeted her in soft tones. Erumelmo noticed the haunted look in Mithwen’s eyes; but he was quickly getting accustomed to seeing anguish in his kin’s eyes. Another elf fell back from the ones walking ahead towards the shore.

He spoke to Mithwen. “Mithwen, why don’t you come ahead with me? I have need to speak with you.” And she walked ahead with him.

Once they had left Rilnen lost her smile, she stared sadly after her sister. “My poor sister. She has had so much pain. She was engaged to be married, but the elf chose to follow Fëanaro and leave her behind. It hurt her so much, but she said their engagement was broken before he left with Fëanáro.” Rilnen said in a quiet voice. Then she blushed, she had just been talking on, sometimes she did that. “I’m sorry, I’m sure you have had great pain of your own. Forgive me but sometimes my tongue goes on without me thinking.” Rilnen said.

“Who is that, Lady Rilnen?” Elerossë asked.

“The power that Fëanáro has over those who follow him is mighty.” Erumelmo testified, more to himself than to Rilnen. “They lose sight of what is right, and forget bonds of love due to his words that are mere breaths of air. They follow a thought of what they believe to be ideal – but in point of fact, they follow one man’s obsession with material objects made out of his pride and vanity.”

Elnaira gave Erumelmo a quick glance. She knew he was thinking of Fanuiamarth as he spoke. She turned her head to Rilnen. “Do not express regret for your pain. Explaining your pain does not make less the pain of others. You will find your courage, Rilnen, before the end.”

“We will get out of here alive.” Rilnen assured herself. But for some reason she was not assured.

“Aye,” Elerossë smiled. “That we will.”

Nolofinwë had addressed the horde of Elves that had collected at the edge of the now stormy sea. His voice carried over the expanse of the throng. He explained to them where they were being led.

“Our journey leads us north and then by means of Helcaraxë to the east. There we come upon those that deceived us. There we go to battle against the Enemy, Morgoth Bauglir! Do you follow me, Elves of the Noldor?”

“We follow, High King.” The Elves roared back as one.

“Aiya, Lord Erumelmo.”

Hearing the voice, Erumelmo turned and looked upon a very tall elf, standing a pace behind him to his left. His dark eyebrows rose in question.

"I am Taurohtar Hehta. I have been sent by Nolofinwë himself to serve you. What is your command?"

Erumelmo narrowed his eyes; he recalled the name of Taurohtar. When Erumelmo learned the craft of molding metal into form, under the stern guidance of Aulë, broken swords would be sent in regularly for Artanis and him to go through their instruction better.

After Melkor had been released from the Halls of Mandos, it had been Oromë who instructed the Elves to begin carrying weapons in Valinor. Their armour had been created not from metal, but from the fallen barks of trees and animal hide. Some armour, like Elerossë’s, was created entirely out of fish scales.

Therefore, the making of swords, spears, bows and arrows was not unfamiliar to Artanis; but Erumelmo had taken a keen interest in their creation. It was from his time spent near the armour furnaces of Mahtan’s house that he recollected talk of a tall elf. He remembered one of the other elves smile and remark that most things in Taurohtar’s hands would succumb to rupture. The elf was known for his prodigious strength and peculiar love for swords and swordsmanship. He smiled inwardly recalling the memory, but quick as lightning, the smile died, since he remembered Aulë.

Now he looked directly into Taurohtar’s green eyes. He looked in them for several moments, judging the inner strength behind the outer. He sensed compassion in those eyes, side-by-side with great valour. “I take your service gladly and willingly, Taurohtar Hehta,” he nodded his consent. “If Nolofinwë sends you, you are worthy; and you are aware of the design of his mind: he means to cross the Helcaraxë in pursuit of the one who has betrayed us all. This great host divides itself into three. The former moves with King Nolofinwë, the latter follow Princes Findaráto and Turukáno, and Princess Artanis comes as the leader of the core, with Princess Elnaira, Prince Elerossë and I.”

Erumelmo turned to the sea, his gaze fell far against the falling snow and the rising dark, and then abruptly he turned to the north of the world. “That route,” he said gratingly, “leads to the icy channel which becomes our bridge. I shall man the right side of the column with my brother; I want you to guard the left. The road is perilous, pay careful heed to unseen breaks within the ice. Correct the others against sudden shifts of the upper layers due to turmoil in the sea beneath. Be constantly wary, and consistent in your attention. Look yonder, Taurohtar,” Erumelmo glanced in the same direction. Elnaira stood there, supporting Elerossë. “That is my sister, Elnaira, and that is my brother, Elerossë. The only kin left to me here at the very edge of our world. You have her in your charge, as the rest of the Noldor that fall to the mid-western side. Protect them well, Hallaquendë.”

Erumelmo bent down and unwrapped a cloth bundle, in it were two horns designed from a silvery metal. He handed one to Taurohtar. The horn was light, though it curved to a size of an elven lady’s forearm. “These are the Horns of Nessa and they were made by the Lady Artanis. There are seven others, given to the leaders and guards of the multitude. And one I give to you – it belongs to my brother, he is unfit to keep watch over and defend our people now. These are meant for the guards of the host, amongst whom you are, at this moment, one. Each time we break for a hunt for food, these shall help us gather together. Needless to say, a torrent of notes sent out would indicate a dire need for help and an onslaught of threat to our host. The other belongs to me.”

[Domdol – dim head
Odobenii – taken from Odobenus rosmarus – the mammal, Walrus
Hallaquendë – tall elf]

[Edited on 29/11/2007 by Erumelmo]
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 07:47
Arquen scoffed as she, once again, rubbed the snow from her eyes. Her fingers fumbled, the grace of her kin seemed to have almost left her as she tried to bandage the small hand which lay in her lap. She heard a moan escape her sister's lips an she grew irritated.

"I'm trying the best I can, Liantassë. You are the healer, not I." she said between gritted teeth as she straightened the cloth once more and began to wrap it around again.

The wind was more of the annoyance then anything, the snow was not yet a problem, yet the cold seemed to be chilling to the bone. Finally, she was successful in tying a kind knot upon the gentle hand, without much pain to the bearer.

"There, that is done." she said as if she owned a list of things to do, an was marking them down as she performed them. She heard a small laugh and looked to face her sister.

"Is it not good enough for you?" she asked frowning. She never liked it when another chose to laugh at her, or her abililties.

"Vandë carna, Arquen. Hantanyel." Liantassë, answered softly behind a smile. Arquen nodded to her curtly, satisfied with her reply an stood up gracefully.

"I will go seek out information on what is to become of us. Where is Tulonka?" she asked. One would think she was the leader of the Noldor, by the way she spoke.

"He comes now." Liantassë replied nodding in his direction. He walked up and took the bow from his back an his few remaining arrows, with an extra little bundle of wood.

"What is this?" asked Arquen frowning at the faggot.
"It was the sticks father had been preparing for extra arrows. Thankfully he dried them before Alqualondë, now, all I have to do is nock them an--"

"Where do you plan to find decent balance for your arrows , Tulonka?" Arquen interruped, almost jealous of his ideas. Tulonka smirked an picked up his arrow case an moving a few of his spare arrows out of the way to reveal some rugged feathers. Arquen smirked in return.

"Those are hardly suitable." Arquen answered lifting her head.
"I'm sure they are the best we can work with." Liantassë, interceded, not wanting them to begin thier usual feuding.
Tulonka nodded to his mother an looked to Arquen.

"I hear the voices of others say that Nolofinwë has decided to continue on through Helcaraxë. Is this true Arquen?" he asked catching a glance from his mother.

Arquen nodded lowering her eyes. The mere thought stirred feelings that were better off ignored. She knew they should have followed Fëanáro, they would have been across the water by now and on the shores of Middle Earth. Liantassë, saw the look creep into her sister's eyes an quickly attemped to extinguish it.

"He burned the ships, Arquen, he is a traitor, not our leader." Arquen looked to her sister, with her brow lowered. "At least he an his followers live, while we will suffer an even perish, amongst the Ice." she hissed. Arquen looked to her nephew an then back down to her sister. They were foolish, in her eyes. Unable to stand thier scrutiny she turned on her heel an left them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How is your hand, Mother." Tulonka said, kneeling beside Liantassë. They both had become used to Arquen's temper an knew the best way to handle it was to act as if it never happened.

"Arquen fixed it up well." she said as she lifted the knot to her teeth an let it loose. Tulonka frowned.
"But, she forgot the herbs I gave her to put in the bandage." she said as she began to unwrap her hand. Tulonka smiled an began to help her patch up her injury, but this time with the medicine included. She had received the deep gash upon the inside of her left hand during the battle, against a sharp stone when trying to hurry to her husband when she saw him fall in battle.

Arquen stood amongst the rest of her kin as they listened to the words of Nolofinwë. It was quite the crowd, but despite thier size all were listening intently knowing thier lives depend on this he-elf before them.

“Our journey leads us north and then by means of Helcaraxë to the east. There we come upon those that deceived us. There we go to battle against the Enemy, Morgoth Bauglir! Do you follow me, Elves of the Noldor?”

“We follow, High King.” The Elves roared back as one. Arquen stood unmoving, her lips not having uttered a word. The elves began to talk amongst themselves an begin preparation, Arquen slipped away from them an returned to her sister an her son.

"So everything has been confirmed. We will embark in host of three. The first follow with King Nolofinwë, the latter follow Princes Findaráto and Turukáno, and Princess Artanis the last leader, with Princess Elnaira, Prince Elerossë, and Prince Erumelmo.” Arquen explained as she an Liantassë began to gather thier belongings. They had plenty of food, for Liantassë had the knowledge of what to carry an for how long it would last. She had assembled some Lembas, an at the instruction of the others, seaweed from the shores. She herself had a few enduring herbs which might come in handy during desperate situations. Before they reached into the Ice, Liantasse knew the gathering of the few plants available should be a task set upon quickly, for soon the climate will be too harsh for any plant life an they would have none to use.

"According to our house, we will be traveling with Princess Artanis." Arquen added as she strapped on her animal hide cuffs for her arms. She was prepared to take on the icy path with her sister. That was why she stayed behind, for she could not forsake Lian as her parents forsook them to follow Arafinwë.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quenya Translation:
Vandë carna - Well done
Hantanyel - I thank thee

[Edited on 8/5/2007 by Iri]

[Edited on 10/5/2007 by Iri]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 10:03
Rilnen looked at Elrossë when he asked who Rauron was.
"He is my brother, his name is Rauron and he is the oldest in our family." Rilnen explained.

She smiled at Elrossë when he agreed with her about them reaching Middle earth alive. Inwardly she wondered if it was even possible.

Then the host of stopped before Lord Nolofinwë. He asked them who they would follow, and the elves cried together in a loud voice that they would follow Lord Nolofinwë.

Rilnen hoped that they would be able to travel with Erumelmo and his family, she enjoyed their company and she was afraid that if they split apart they would never see each other again.

Rauron listened to all that was said, then he looked down at his sisters. "We will be traveling with Lady Artanis." He said.

Rilnen smiled, she would be able to travel with her friends, and help them when it became harsh. Rilnen wasn't sure what they were going to be faced with, and she wasn't sure she was prepared, but she knew she would have to be there for her friends and family.

Then the family walked over to where the elves were gather near Altariel and the others who would help lead.

"Lady Artanis, we are to follow you during this journey that leads us over the Helcaraxë. Is there anything that you would like me to do to help prepare?" Rauron asked.

As they waited for the Lady's reply Mithwen began to feel weak and tired, they had not even begun their journey.
Mithwen swayed and almost collapsed but Rauron grabbed her arm and held her up.

"Mithwen, are you alright? What's the matter?" Rauron asked. His voice was full of concern.

"I feel weak, I just need to sit down." Mithwen said. Her voice was still strong.

"Ril, take Mithwen over to sit down and make sure she is well. I will stay and see what I must do for Lady Artanis." Rauron explained.

Rilnen nodded and took Mithwen's arm and led her over to some of the other elves and helped her sit down.
Rilnen sat down beside her and began to rummage through her bag that held a few healing herbs.

Mithwen saw this and grabbed Rilnen's arm.

"No need for herbs Ril. I am not ill." Mithwen said. She looked very weary.

Rilnen slowly closed her bag. "Are you sure? I can help you, but only if you will accept it. At least let me check for any kind of injuries." Rilnen said sounding concerned.

Mithwen laughed humorlessly. "All my injuries cannot be healed Ril. They are deeply inbedded and can only be healed with time. I just need some rest." Mithwen said.

Rilnen sighed, her sister was still hurting from losing her love. She couldn't do anything about that, she hoped her sister would be able to get over it by the time they had to head out.

Then Rilnen noticed some other elves, they looked familiar to her as well. "Arquen?" Rilnen whispered.

Rilnen smiled when she realized it was Arquen and her sister and her nephew. She wasn't going to leave Mithwen here alone, but she hoped she would get to speak with Arquen as they traveled.

"And maybe she shall lighten Mithwen's spirit." Rilnen thought aloud. She smiled.

(I hope that's alright with you Iri, that they know each other.)

[Edited on 8/5/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]

[Edited on 8/5/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 04:47
OOC: (Ah, Iri’s here! Good.
The thread is going well, though we’ll need some other occupations besides healers, people! Also, I have made a mistake in the Quenya name of Galadriel. Altáriel was the name given to her by her husband, Celeborn – it was her epessë – her father name was Artanis. So, please edit your posts accordingly, as I have done mine. I have also added a note on Elf names – and how they were created – on the OOC thread. Please read through it, since it is quite interesting and will help in the creation of names for your characters here. )

IC:
"Lady Artanis, we are to follow you during this journey that leads us over the Helcaraxë. Is there anything that you would like me to do to help prepare?" Rauron asked.

Artanis looked to the one who placed the question. She was standing beside the High Lords and other elves who would be helping her part of the host during the following journey. Erumelmo who stood to her right looked at Rauron as well.

“You are Rauron from the house of Meresaro. Atarinya speaks highly of you. Aye, there is something that I would like you to do. Carry yourself to the hind most parts of our cluster, and arrange for all those who would follow to assemble here by the time the tide turns. Prince Erumelmo and Taurohtar shall join you.”

Mithwen began to feel weak and tired … Mithwen swayed and almost collapsed but Rauron grabbed her arm and held her up.

"Mithwen, are you alright? What's the matter?" Rauron asked. His voice was full of concern.

"I feel weak, I just need to sit down." Mithwen said. Her voice was still strong.

Artanis watched quietly. “I do advise rest for your sister, until your return, Rauron. The journey will test us all, and she will need whatever strength she can gather together.” She turned her glance to Erumelmo. “Why don’t you take her to where Elerossë convalesces? For now I need your attention.” She turned back to discussing plans.

"Ril, take Mithwen over to sit down and make sure she is well. I will stay and see what I must do for Lady Artanis." Rauron explained.

Rilnen nodded and took Mithwen's arm and led her over to some of the other elves and helped her sit down.

Erumelmo caressed his brother’s cheek with his knuckles. Elerossë slept. His face was pale but some colour had returned to it. Erumelmo carefully pulled the hood closer over his brother’s face. The snowfall had abated, though the cold persisted. The sky was still starless.

“I have to leave for a while, Ella.” He said to his sister who was sitting close to her sleeping brother, to give him added warmth. At the same time, her busy fingers were cutting the seaweed she had collected into neat pieces using her daggers. “I have to bring together those who will make up Artanis’ followers. I shall be back soon. Taurohtar, the elf I had you meet before, shall accompany me, alongwith Lady Rilnen’s brother, Rauron.”

“Very well,” Elnaira stated. “I shall look after him. Do return as quick as you can, onóro.”

Erumelmo gave her a slight smile and then rose to his feet. Elnaira watched him walk toward the shore, before the forms of moving elves enclosed him from her sight.

Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 04:40
Arquen had proceeded ahead of Liantassë and Tulonka in hopes of finding the Lady Artanis or one of the Prince they were to be following. She knew once she caught sight of them an it was understood they were with the right group, they would tell her what to do.

Since the announcement, many of the elves had begun to gather thier bundles an relocate into the groups causing a bit of confusion. Arquen was having trouble making her way through the crowd, an amongst the wind and cold, it became quite difficult. She squirmed between two elves an stepped over a few bundles that remain on the ground, just as she looked up, a neri bumped into her. If it wasn't for the dextirity of her kin she would have fallen. Yet even without the tumble, Arquen's temper flared an she turned to face the neri who bumped into her, who also had turned towards her, but he initially meant to apologize, yet Arquen, as usual, did not give him the chance.

"We are all trying to get somewhere my lord, however a few of us would like to get there in tact. Would you be so kind as to eye your hasty footing, dull eyed fool!?"

The neri paused for a moment an was unsure of what to say. Arquen pushed her lips together till they were almost invisible on her face. She was hoping for retaliation, so that she might have a reason to fight back, yet she knew those of her kindred would not indulge her.

He politely bowed his head as others passed between them, with a slight smile at her temper. "Ani apsenë, Herinya." he spoke softly an turned, walking away making a point to watch his footing.

Arquen's frown remained as she watched him walk away, with two other neri. She shifted her tongue in her mouth...naturally, feeling like a fool. She stood there for awhile as he disappeared into the crowd, speaking to a few as he walked past. He seemed to be rounding them up. Tulonka came up behind her an shook her out of her trance.

"Arquen!" she looked towards him frowning. Tulonka ignored her an continued.
"Have you seen the Lady Artanis or Prince Erumelmo?"

When it dawned on her, she let out a groan and stomped her foot, which sunk halfway into the snow. Tulonka arched his eyebrow towards her. Only Arquen would be blinded by her temper in such a way that she would not even recognize Prince Erumelmo. As he walked away she remembered his face an his dark features, which were related to that of his family an she knew immediately who she had spouted off at.

"What is it?" he asked.
"Nothing, Tulonka, I have just wholly demeaned myself. Oh, why has Eru given me such a tongue!" she said rising her head to the sky to emphasize her words. Tulonka smiled as he began to catch on. She lowered her head an then looked towards him with a pleading looking glazing her eyes.

"Tulonka, he is up ahead. Catch up with him an find out our orders. I will be with your mother, sulking. Come find us once you have heard where we will be gathering." Tulonka nodded an began to make his way to catch up with Prince Erumelmo, whom Arquen had managed to slander.

Arquen let out another moan an went to find her sister who was standing where Tulonka had left her, keeping an eye on thier belongings. She saw the look on her retreating sister's face an smiled.

"Come, come, Arquen. No need for words, just sit an we shall wait for Tulonka to return." she said taking her sister's hand and settling down beside her. Arquen closed her eyes an laid her head in Liantasse's lap, letting out a sigh. Liantasse smiled an began to rub behind Arquen's pointed ears. It was only to her sister that, Arquen, would show such weakness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quenya Translation
Ani apsenë, Herinya - Forgive me, My lady

[Edited on 10/5/2007 by Iri]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 05:50
Rauron listened carefully to what Lady Artanis said. When she told him to gather the elves in the hind most parts,he bowed and left to begin the preparing of the elves.

Rauron left with Erumelmo and another elf named Taurohtar.
As they walked towards the last section where the elves were gathered Erumelmo accidently bumped into a she elf.
Rauron was surprised by her outburst, but smiled at Erumelmo's come back.

Once they had passed the maiden they continued.
"Lord Erumelmo, what shall we do first? Do you wish for us to prepare them?" Rauron asked, waiting for his reply.
----
Rilnen watched Mithwen carefully, still very much so worried about her sister.
Mithwen had fallen asleep, and Rilnen didn't dare wake her. She needed as much rest as she could have.

Rilnen looked over and saw Elnaira. She smiled a little and saw that Elerossë slept as well.
"Is he feeling well? How are his wounds healing?" Rilnen asked.

She wondered if she would need to change the bandages, but she wasn't sure if she had many left with her.
Then Rilnen looked back down at Mithwen, she wrapped her cloak tighter so that she wouldn't get cold.

Mithwen's eyes fluttered opened. "Are we leaving yet Ril?" Mithwen whispered wearily.

Rilnen smiled faintly as she brushed her sister's dark hair away from her face. "Not yet Mithwen." Rilnen said.

Mithwen glanced to the side, then she turned back to Rilnen.
"Where is Rauron?" She asked.

"He has gone with Lord Erumelmo and Taurohtar to prepare the elves. We should see him here soon." Rilnen said.

Mithwen nodded then closed her eyes again. "á lorë vandë seler." Rilnen whispered.

Translation-sleep well sister.

[Edited on 10/5/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 09:00
OOC: No. It is not over the top. Though please do not make Erumelmo say things that I do not understand. I am not that good with Tolkien’s languages, so would you translate "Ani apsenë, Herinya", for me – though I guess it means, ‘I am sorry, my lady’?

Also you write that Erumelmo’s identity, “dawned” on Arquen – but it is not clear how. I got a bit confused there. Could you elaborate? I am guessing that it is when he directed other elves… but please make that clear.

As to mentioning, elves and their gender, this would help. Instead of he-elf, I did some asking (thanks, Bereth) and you can use these:

Nissi (female) Neri (male) or in quenya
and
Elleth (female) or Ellon (male) in sindarin

IC:
Erumelmo walked past the Elves who were now being segregated into Findekáno’s following. He saw his friend through the falling snow and raised his hand in greeting. The Prince saw Erumelmo and smiled broadly. He jumped down from the rock he was standing on, his long dark hair whipping behind his face, and made his way through the throng.

The tall elf came to stand beside Erumelmo, and they were at eye level. Brown met grey eyes, both sparkling as the snow reflected a light of its own. “So you lead with Artanis.”

“Aye.”

“This gladdens me. You are one of the best in strategy and approach to all things that do confound me.” Findekáno smiled again. He put his hand on Erumelmo’s left shoulder. “I am glad you return not to Valimar.” He embraced Erumelmo in a tight hug. “I am glad you decided to listen to me.”

Erumelmo pulled back. “Findekáno, my most valiant friend, I think you are mistaken. I have not maintained this course, for the oath of Fëanáro. I have never believed in the oath – nor have I ever had faith in the one who made it. Nor do I hold the Valar answerable for the blame Fëanáro casts upon them. I deem all of what has happened since we marched out of Tirion to be utter folly. I long still to see the Lamp of the Mindon Eldaliéva! I can never forget it and regret burns in my heart like a cantankerous wound!”

Findekáno’s grey eyes narrowed. “Then why – have –” Suddenly the light of understanding dawned within them. “For Fanuiamarth.”

Erumelmo stepped away. His grey cloak whipped about his shoulders. It snagged on to the raw hide covering over his arm and beat about the air struggling to be free. Erumelmo breathed in the cold air and then exhaled, a moist cloud of vapour issuing from his mouth. “Aye,” he agreed at last. “For Fanuiamarth, my mind was in turmoil.” Findekáno’s brow furrowed in grief. “But when I heard that you, my most beloved friend, would also be leaving, my mind was made. So it was that I chose this path. I care not for pieces of stone. I care for my people, my family, my friends! That is what brings me here.”

Findekáno’s face brightened. “That is what makes me love you all the more!” He stated quietly. He pulled his hood over his head and his glance turned far to the south. “I daresay that my heart withered at Alqualondë – for it was I who bore down upon the Teleri with my father’s host. My heart faded more, not at Fëanáro’s deception but for the reason that Nelyafinwë followed it, forsaking ties of our comradeship. For I have always regarded him to be a brother. I have also since realised that the path we are on will only lead to misfortune and despair! But –” His grey eyes burned with a determined glow “– I have made my path, I shall have to walk on it, come what may.”

“And I shall follow.” Erumelmo affirmed.

Findekáno’s teeth flashed in the gloom as he smiled wide. “You bring me hope in this dark world, Mel. There are some friends still, I see, who value the heart more than stone!”

Araman was a deserted wasteland. It lay as the narrow northern coastlands of Aman, north of Valinor, and it stretched outside the mountain-fence of the Pelóri. It was a mountainous land and within the rocky land seldom it was that any living thing was found. The seeds that did fall here by chance of wind were either swept out to sea or lay completely unproductive and frozen.

"Lord Erumelmo, what shall we do first? Do you wish for us to prepare them?" Rauron asked, waiting for his reply. Erumelmo was deep in thought as he walked with the two neri. At Rauron’s question, he opened his mouth to answer, but then on seeing a large rock before him, he stopped.

Erumelmo stepped over stones lightly and with a nimble leap and strong pull poised himself on the rock. His eyes widened slightly as they grew intense – spanning over the multitude of elves that lined the inhospitable surroundings. He looked at Taurohtar and Rauron who had followed him. “The column goes far to the south. It will take the better part of the day, we will not be able to come back as soon as we hoped. It will be a matter of days before our return. I shall speak with my sister and brother, you, Taurohtar, in the meantime, begin collecting those who mean to follow Princess Artanis and ask them to move forward toward her faction. All who mean to follow with her, need to be accounted for. Elnaira will help in keeping account. Rauron, first make a quick farewell to your family, then we meet again by this rock to continue our journey to the south of the column.”

So saying, Erumelmo jumped down from the rock and landed agilely on his feet. The sand barely shifted beneath them as he hit it. “And, Taurohtar,” he called the tall elf’s attention back to him, “when we both have the opportunity, if time and life permit, I would like to know how you created the arm guards that you wear.” Erumelmo turned to Rauron. “You need to wear arm guards, Rauron of Meresaro, if Taurohtar agrees to help, I shall make you a pair.”

Smiling, Erumelmo walked away.

As he passed toward where Elnaira and Artanis had made a small settlement, he continued spreading the word of the three hosts. As he turned to his right after speaking to an Elf-lord, he collided against a nissi who nearly tumbled down. Erumelmo bent to help but there was no need. She righted herself almost immediately. As he straightened and before he could speak, the nissi verbally attacked.

"We are all trying to get somewhere, my lord, however a few of us would like to get there intact. Would you be so kind as to eye your hasty footing, dull-eyed fool!?"

Rauron stepped forward at her words, but instantly, Erumelmo put his hand lightly on the younger elf’s arm to hold him back. Erumelmo did not take his eyes from the fiery eyes of the nissi who stood before him. She was one of the followers of Fëanáro. It was distinctly visible. Two other elves, who had stopped in surprise, now moved past with raised eyebrows. Erumelmo’s lips quirked into a slight smile. “Ani apsenë, Herinya,” he said. He gave an imperceptible nod with his head, then turning around walked away.

“She should not have been so vituperative, my lord,” Rauron stated as they began making their way towards Artanis’ encampment.

“There are many here who are angry, Rauron.” Erumelmo said, throwing him a quick glance. He shook his head slightly. “Promises have been broken. Wounds have been cast by blades that were unforeseen. Kin have died, or,“ His voice became soft. His cascading dark hair hid his face from Rauron’s gaze. “Have separated from the ones who love them in the name of valour and heroism. I cannot blame the anger of one so young, instead I censure the one who falsely allowed it to fester.”

They had reached the makeshift tent where Artanis was seated with her brothers, Angarato and Aikanáro. They greeted each other and Erumelmo presented Rauron to the two brothers. Angarato and Aikanáro were both incredibly tall. Before he had seen Taurohtar, Erumelmo had appraised both these brothers to be the tallest elves he had known. Both had golden hair, but lacking the silver sheen that Artanis’ hair had. Both were large in build.

“The snow has stopped falling.” Aikanáro observed as they stepped out.

“I presume it is just an interruption not an indication of things to come.” Erumelmo smiled.

Angarato smiled back. “Then we must make the most of this fleeting amnesty. I move north to draw together those who follow us.”

“Us? You join our host?”

“Aye, Mel. My son, Artaresto, follows with Findekáno.”

“This is favourable news indeed. The centre of the host is proving to be the largest, we shall need your strength as well as Aikanáro’s.” Erumelmo was smiling broadly now. He looked over Angarato’s shoulder. “I have not seen Eldâlotë. I would like to make my greeting.”

Angarato’s eyes dulled with pain. “She did not join us. She did not choose this exile.”

Erumelmo’s grin faded. He shut his eyes for a brief moment. “I am sorry.”

“Be not sorry. In this manner, I am now assured that she is safe.” He gripped Erumelmo’s arm strongly in parting.

Artanis came up to where Erumelmo stood watching her brother walk away to the north. “You are sorry that your brothers and sister are not back in Valimar, are you not?”

“A sudden desire for that passed through me, aye!” Erumelmo whispered. Then he turned around to face the tall nissi. “It shall take me longer to collect those from the south. The host spreads back into Araman more.”

“They try to evade the cold drawing nigh from Helcaraxë.”

“Aye. I approached to ask what of the north. It eases my mind that Angarato and Aikanáro join us.”

Artanis smiled. “Return soon. Return sound.”

Erumelmo smiled in answer.

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 02:18
Rauron listened to all that Erumelmo said. He was surprised that so many had stayed, so many they would have to prepare.
when Eurmelmo told him that he would have to say farewell to his family he nodded, it would take a long time to gather them all.

After being introduced to Lady Artanis's two brothers he asked to be excused to say farewell to his family.
He walked quickly, taking long strides. When he came to where they were he crouched down and smiled.

"Is Mithwen well?" Rauron asked. He brushed a strand of Mithwen's dark brown hair from her face as she slept.
"I think so. She is so upset. I wish she would smile." Rilnen said sadly.

Rauron lifted Rilnen's chin. "She will smile again soon. Dawn will break through all this mist." Rauron said with a smile.
Rilnen threw her arms around Rauron's neck.
"Why is it that you always know what to say?" Rilnen whispered.

Then Rauron pulled her off his neck. "I have come here for a reason other than just visiting. I must go with Erumelmo and Taurohtar to help prepare and gather the elves, and it seems that I shall not see you for a long time for they have gathered far. I will see you again, but I must say farewell for now." Rauron said.

Rilnen felt afraid, what would she do without her brother? How would she be able to take care of Mithwen by herself?
Rilnen grabbed his arm.
"Don't leave me, what if I don't see you again? What if we become lost?" Rilnen said. Tears began to roll down her cheeks, frosty breaths floated out from her mouth as she spoke.

Rauron wiped her tears. "We will meet again. You do not have to worry. Now I must go, farewell little one." Rauron whispered. Then he kissed Rilnen's forehead and stood and walked away.

Rilnen watched him leave. She felt cold and alone now.
Moments later Mithwen woke, her eyes seemed brighter and less dead inside now.
She looked up at Rilnen. "Did I not hear Rauron's voice?" Mithwen asked.

Rilnen nodded. "He was here, but he had to leave. He has to gather the elves and may not return for a long time." Rilnen whispered sadly.

Mithwen stroked Rilnen's black hair. "You mustn't worry so much little sister. Everything will be alright. I'm sure we shall see him again soon." Mithwen said. She even sounded merrier than before.

Rilnen nodded her head,but didn't seem convinced.
-----
Rauron walked until he came to the rock. He saw that the others were not yet there so he sat down and waited.
He wrapped his cloak tightly around him and his thoughts were consumed with the job before him and his sisters.

He knew Rilnen was strong enough to take care of Mithwen on her own, and he also knew that Mithwen was strong enough to wake and help Rilnen when it became too hard.

"There shall be many trials ahead of us." Rauron whispered. But he did not sound afraid or worried. He was more determind than anything, maybe only worried for his sisters.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 05:41
Erumelmo swung his cloak about his shoulders. The wind had risen again but there was no sign of falling snow. The sky was weeping darkness instead. The air was gathering its cold. He looked at his twin. Elerossë was asleep. Elnaira was staring up at him with a narrowed gaze.

“Artanis has asked me to keep account of the food. I also think it is best if we know how each family can help with the crossing. I shall take note.” Her voice was a whisper but it carried, despite the strong breeze.

Erumelmo checked his sword, Rávaril, tightened the straps of his armour, and put two loaves of lembas, wrapped in cloth, inside the folds of cloth wrapped around his stomach. He nodded as his sister spoke. When all seemed to his satisfaction he looked at her. He flashed her a quick smile. “I shall return as swiftly as I am able.”

He looked back and saw that Rauron had already come to the place where they had agreed to meet. He turned back to Elnaira. “Keep an eye on Rauron’s sisters. I do not want him worrying needlessly. Rilnen will be able to help with Rossë.”

“Aye,” Elnaira acquiesced. “I was thinking that myself. I shall move out as soon as Rossë wakes and make for Artanis’ camp further up.”

Erumelmo bent down and pressed his lips against her forehead. “Fare thee well.” He turned his head to Elerossë and brushed his fingertips against the sleeping elf’s jaw.

“Rauron,” Erumelmo called in greeting as he approached the seated elf. The tide had turned and the waves crashed against the rocks. His eyes pierced distance and he saw the columns of foam spew into the air as they hit the enchanted isles further down south. He looked to Rauron. “Where is Taurohtar?” He asked.

(I guess Erumelmo and Rauron need to wait for Taurohtar. Iri can have Arquen meet up with Rilnen and Elnaira, and we can move on with that part of the story, until Turin writes in. )
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 03:59
OOC: Sorry it's taken me so long to make a reply, but I've been extremely busy with school lately.

IC: Taurohtar had thought about how best to get all of the elves following Artanis care moving along which was not easy in the whipping snow but finally an idea came to him.

He strode into the middle of the area of a large group of elves bumping into many people along the way, which was good for they would pay attention to where he was going and would listen when he spoke. He finally came to a small hill and climbed it and let out a mighty shout which was carried by the wind and silenced everyone he was near too.

"Thank you," he shouted, "I am commanded by Lord Erumelmo to collect all who are following Lady Artanis and get you moving. So, if you are following Artanis, get a move on towards the camp Lady's faction where you may receive further instruction as to where you will need to be and what you will need to do." After calling out this first time, Taurohtar realized that this was not going to be easy and he would need some help. So, he stopped several of the taller male elves who were going to Artanis' faction and told them to wait with him.

Soon he had around fifteen elves all sitting on the ground nearby in the snow.

"Alright, the job of organizing Artanis' faction is too big for me alone and I will need all of you to help. You should go to every section of the column and shout out the same message that you heard from me. In this fashion I hope to gather all of the elves quickly. If you wish, take some of your friends to help you." said Taurohtar. Fortunately, all of the elves he had stopped knew the gravity of the situation and would perform the daunting task that lay before them and soon they were dispersed to complete the task.

Taurohtar, having started his monumental task in motion left to search for Erumelmo.

This however was going to take a while for soon Taurohtar was lost in a sea of elves that he didn't know looking for Erumelmo. The wind and snow did not help in the least bit at all, so Taurohtar climbed a hill and trained his ears and eyes to the wind and snow to try and find him.

Luckily, his keen green eyes and good ears picked up snatch of Erumelmo conversing with his friends and family and soon Taurohtar was within earshot of the elven lord.

"Rauron, where is Taurohtar?" asked Erumelmo.

Taurohtar, upon hearing this, strode down to the two elves and said, "I'm right here. You miss me that much?" he then planted the butt of his spear into the ground and leaned upon it looking at the two elves before him.

[Edited on 16/5/2007 by TurinTurimbar]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2007 03:56
Rauron was about to answer that he wasn't sure where Taurohtar was, but then the elf approached them.
"I suppose we are ready now." Rauron said. Then the elves began to make their way over to the great host of elves that needed to be given instruction and prepared.

As they walked on Rauron still couldn't believe that such a massive amount of elves could make it across the Helcaraxë.
"Erumelmo, do you think this is physically possible for us to make it, all of us?" Rauron whispered. This was the first time he had doubted the expidition.

Then he realized that now was not the time for doubt, it was a time for courage and strength.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be doubtinh like this. Forgive me." Rauron said. Then they approached part of the great host.
-----
Mithwen looked up at Rilnen. "Oh my, have they left yet?" Mithwen asked as she sat up.
Rilnen shook her head. "No, we will not be leaving until everyone is ready, that is why Rauron has gone to help." Rilnen assured her.

Mithwen nodded. "Is there anything I must do to get ready?" Mithwen asked. Rilnen wasn't sure. "I'm not sure, but we should probably go to Lady Artanis's camp." Rilnen said.

Mithwen nodded and started to stand, but Rilnen paused.
"I can't leave yet sister. I'm going to ask Elnaira if she needs any help with Elerossë, I think I might check and see if he needs to change his bandages as well." Rilnen said.

Mithwen nodded and sat down again. Rilnen walked over to where Elnaira was. "I was just coming over to see if you needed any help with Elerossë, and I was wondering if you think it would be alright to check his bandages, see if I need to change them." Rilnen said. She waited for Elnaira to reply.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2007 11:29
"We are to head towards Lady Artanis's camp. Once together, orders will be given out an more order can be accomplished as we try to allocate everyone amongst thier groups." Tulonka explained, slightly out of breath.

Arquen stood, from where she sat next to Liantassë, facing Tulonka directly. She had a very judgemental expression, which hardly affected her sister-son.

"Where did you hear this?" she asked arching an eyebrow. Tulonka let out a sigh and looked to Liantassë, who only gave him a shrug.

"Others, instructed by Artanis herself." Arquen nodded an began to gather the bundles, helping Liantassë rise to her feet.
"So in what direction is Lady Artanis's camp?" Arquen demanded more than asked, pushing her lips together.
"Ányë hilya!"Tulonka smiled, feeling as if he was finally contributing despite the circumstances. Liantassë followed her son and Arquen brought up the rear.

The trek through the slowly dissolving crowd, was not as taxing as Arquen had anticipated. She thought about her run-in with Prince Erumelmo and cringed once more. She knew she would have to apologize if they were to ever meet again. Arquen dreaded it an tried to think on something else. It wasn't that she was not sorry, it was the fact that she was accepting that she had indeed made a mistake. Accepting her blunders was all the more humilating then actually facing them.

The snow had begun to clear and Arquen could see her sister, ahead of her, looking towards the sky with a glint of a smile.
"I hope we shall see stars tonight, sister." Liantassë said stopping and looking back towards Arquen. Arquen nearly stumbled over Lian and quickly begun to think she was the one off balance. Liantassë let out a slight giggle, supressing her smile with her hand. Arquen was glad to see the smile, despite. It was odd to her that Liantassë was doing so well, after the death of her husband. Either that, or Liantassë was living up to her selfless ways and simply hiding her grief.

"Don't count on it, Liantassë, but please heed your footing and make haste, you will loose sight of Tulonka before long." Lian turned an continued on, lifting her skirts slightly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arquen!" the distant voice was recognized instantly and Arquen turned to see a nissi walking towards her. She smiled as she recognized her and called towards Tulonka.

"Tulonka, sojourn here!" Tulonka stopped and turned seeing the elf maiden as well, he nodded back to Arquen and shifted the bundle upon his back walking back towards them. Liantassë also saw the approaching. She masked a huge smile and ran to greet her.

"Rilnen! Aiya!" she exclaimed, her soft voice, showing more expression than usual. They embraced an Arquen remained behind. When their greeting was over she stepped forward and offered the nissi a handshake.

"Vandë omentaina, Rilnen." she said smiling slightly to her. Rilnen lead them off their intended path, to a little recess in the snow, where a few others were also settled. Rilnen turned back to Liantassë with a smile.

"What are you doing here, my friend? I did not know you followed this march as well? Where is Herunya Tulonka?"
Liantassë grew silent and almost winced at the mention of his title. Rilnen saw the dispair that grew in Lian's eyes an understood quickly.

"Ai, haryal nyérenya, Liantassë." Rilnen replied with a lowered voice. Lian simply nodded. Arquen interrupted...
"He fell at Alqualondë. She has chosen to not return to Valinor, but continue on, in his name, along with thier son Tulonka." Liantassë took a deep breath in, it almost seemed as if her pallid shade became slighly worse, yet recovered quickly.

Rilnen forced a smile and took Liantassë's hand.
"Where is the young, Tulonka, it has been too long since I last saw him." Liantassë returned the smile and turned behind her, seeing Tulonka standing off in the distance.
"He stands there, seemingly performing a daunting task at staring down the snow." Liantassë laughed. Tulonka, was always trying to fulfill a Lord's position. He wanted so much, to give to his people in ways of the warrior. Sometimes, it seemed he tried to hard. He was indeed standing a little ways off from then, glaring out in the distance as if he had a mission to carry out.

Arquen was never one for idle chit-chat. She was taught to speak sparingly, to avoid words of regret, thus tried to live by it. However, it tended to work in her favor in situations such as these. She began to scan those around them. She knew they should get moving quickly, before dark descended and find Lady Artanis's camp.

Close by she saw a neri, wounded, a nissi, seated near him. Their dark features, immediately showed thier blood connection, also the connection to Prince Erumelmo.

She turned back to her sister and Rilnen, only to notice that they had sucked Tulonka into thier conversations and greetings. Before she knew it Liantassë was settling with Rilnen, next to her sister Mithwen, who did not look at all like her normal self. She saw the concern in Liantassë's eyes as she sat close to Mithwen and tenderly stroked her brow, careful not to disturb her sleep. Lian always seemed to immediately take the role as a motherly healer, when those around were hurt. Arquen remained distant. They should be leaving now...

"Liantassë, we must be leaving!" She called towards her sister. She noticed a few others were packing up and readying themselves as well, one seemed wounded. Arquen furrowed her brow an watched them more closely, a neri, and obviously his sister helping him.

((I hope you do not mind Elfmaiden. I thought it would be neat if maybe since Rilnen has a history with healing, Lian could have been the one who taught her what she knew and in that way, they knew one another. If you are not comfortable with it, you know the drill Tell me, I'll fix.))

-------------------------
Quenya Translations
Ányë hilya! - Follow me!
Vandë omentaina - Well met
Herunya Tulonka - My Lord Tulonka
Ai, haryal nyérenya - You have my grief

[Edited on 17/5/2007 by Iri]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2007 12:12
Erumelmo looked up as Taurohtar spoke.

"I'm right here. You miss me that much?" Taurohtar said, then planted the butt of his spear into the ground and leaned upon it looking at the two elves before him.

Erumelmo’s eyebrows lifted slightly at the impertinent question. Only Elerossë had ever spoken to him in joke before. Looking at the tall elf leaning nonchalantly on his spear, his lips twitched and a corner lifted into a half-smile. “I would have missed the help you promised to give, aye.” He answered quietly. His eyes fell on Rauron, then turned to the south. “Come, we have a long walk ahead of us and a great deal of questioning to do.”

As the pace quickened, Rauron whispered, "Erumelmo, do you think this is physically possible for us to make it, all of us?" This was the first time he had doubted the expedition.

Erumelmo turned his gaze on him sharply.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be doubting like this. Forgive me." Rauron said.

Erumelmo stopped and in turn, both the elves beside him stopped as well. “We make no promises for what is yet to come.” He stated firmly. “I cannot; for chance has a greater hand to play in all of this. But more than that, it would be our choices that govern who we are and what we make of ourselves. I am Erumelmo Oropherion. I am a descendant of Ingwë Ingweron.”

On seeing Taurohtar’s eyes widen, Erumelmo smiled. “My siblings and I get our dark colouring from my father – he is Noldo. Our mother is Isilwen Míriel, the daughter of Ingwion, whom you must know as Ingwë’s son. My parents were resolute in belief that we should remain in Aman. They have forsaken Fanuiamarth for the path that he chose. But Elnaira would not let our brother go – she intended to bring him back from Alqualondë.

“But it was not meant to be. When she asked to follow our brother, my mother was heart broken. But my father understood. He said to us, ‘Your destiny lies in your choices, follow your brother or remain here. Each choice will create its own destiny – be it for fortune or doom. I shall not begrudge you your destiny.’

“It was Fanuiamarth’s choice to follow Fëanáro. It was my choice that I follow my brother and my dearest friend. I do not blame Fëanáro for this – it is too unchallenging to allot blame to another for one’s own choices. I will not and I cannot. Fanuiamarth chose his path. He is not of age yet – but he is old enough to realise the consequences of his actions. As am I.” Erumelmo’s stare intensified as he looked at the two neri before him. “My purpose in telling you my history is this: Whatever be the destiny ahead of you, doubt not the decisions you make in the present. For now, they are right. ”

He turned about, his cloak catching the wind and whipping out behind him, and walked on to the south.

Rilnen walked over to where Elnaira was. "I was just coming over to see if you needed any help with Elerossë, and I was wondering if you think it would be alright to check his bandages, see if I need to change them." Rilnen said.

Elnaira had just checked Elerossë’s wound, but she thought it prudent to take more proficient help whenever offered. She smiled and stepped aside.

Elerossë greeted Rilnen with a smile. “For all the attention you ladies bestow on me, ‘twould seem like I, amongst the hundreds gathered here in Araman, was the only one to suffer from a wound.”

Elnaira scoffed. “Heed him not, Rilnen. He would have us believe that the wound hurts him none. But I am well aware of his unguarded grunts of pain when he is asleep.”

Elerossë’s eyes widened and then narrowed. “Ai, I must now guard myself in sleep as well.”

“Ah-hah!” Elnaira smiled and pointed an accusatory finger at him. “So you do guard yourself when awake. See?” She turned her gaze on Rilnen. “He would tell us a falsehood about his condition. Is your brother the same?”

Elerossë’s face turned mulish. “I do not tell falsehoods!”

“Not mentioning your pain when asked about it is just the same as saying it exists not.”

Elerossë set his jaw and did not argue. A few moments passed. Rilnen examined the wound. Elerossë looked around. Elnaira made final adjustments to their belongings in order to carry them easily.

She looked at Rilnen. “Rilnen, Erumelmo has asked me to help you if need be. If you need any assistance, pray, tell me without giving it a second thought. I would also that you and your sister come with me as I set out to meet Lady Artanis. What say you?” Then she looked back at the group from where Rilnen had come and added, “But if you already have the company and do not need more, do let me know.” She smiled. “I shall understand.”

Within an hour’s walk, Erumelmo and the other two elves had met innumerable elves who wished to walk under the leadership of Artanis, her brothers and Erumelmo. Some believed that the centre of the host would be safer than the lead or the end.

Erumelmo had sent Rauron and Taurohtar in different directions, in order that the word spread faster. He finished speaking with three elves he knew from his learning of metal work, but as he turned to go, one of them asked, “My prince, heard you of the House of Calascon?”

Erumelmo stopped. His eyes narrowed. “Calascon? Aye. They sailed with Fëanáro.”

“Nay,” the blond elf said quietly. “They have left behind their youngest.”

“Hendalacon?”

“Aye. He was wounded and they thought him dead. He asked me if I knew of any here who hail from the House of Aleaningwë.”

“Where is he?”

“Yonder, near the dome shaped rock, close to the sea.”

Hendalacon of the House of Calascon. Fanuiamarth’s friend. They had set out together with Morifinwë. Erumelmo walked with great strides towards the rock, his friend had pointed out. Rounding it, he came face to face with Hendalacon.

“Erumelmo.” Hendalacon greeted. He was one of the strains of big-made elves, like Angarato and Taurohtar. Not as tall mayhap, but wider in chest and probably just as strong. His tunic was torn at the shoulder and bloody. He had ripped out material from the hem of his cloak to serve as a bandage. “It’s just a cut,” he said as he noticed Erumelmo surmising the extent of the wound.

Erumelmo did not particularly like Hendalacon. Mostly because the younger elf had no care for the feelings of others, nor did he show any remorse for any hurt he had caused – and Erumelmo knew there had been a lot of that for which Hendalacon was accountable for.

“How did this come about?”

Hendalacon’s light grey eyes narrowed. “A Telerin’s sword came to me from my flank – if I had not turned, the sword would have sliced through my neck. Needless to say, the ship-builder paid. But not before rendering me unconscious.” He sat up straight and flexed his left arm. “The cold seems to aggravate it.”

“Is this the first time you have been cut?” It had been the first for a lot of Elves.

Hendalacon sneered. “Surely you jest, Turcaindo. I have scars that say otherwise. You know how I dote upon Alarcafairë.” He straightened his knees and Erumelmo saw that his sword was lying unsheathed upon his lap. It glinted with a crimson streak under the dark twilight sky. “I have used it before – though not as intently as I did at Aqualondë.”

Erumelmo’s eyes lifted back to pierce Hendalacon’s gaze. “I have not given you leave to use my amilessë, Hendalacon.”

The younger elf’s lip curled in a half-smile. “I shall remember in the future. I am not particularly keen on being familiar – since you are related to one of those I thought were friends.”

“If memory serves me accurately, Fanuiamarth was willing to leave Valimar on your insistence as well as Morifinwë’s … he would not leave a friend on whose resolve he placed so much consequence. Per chance he thought you were dead; or just did not see you fall. Fëanáro raided many a swan ship, Fanui must have considered you to be on one of them.”

Hendalacon stood up effortlessly, taking his sword in his left hand. The wound clearly did not bother him much. His eyes were dark, like a rain cloud with no lightning set within. “You defend your brother well, my lord prince. As you say, Fanuiamarth was your kin, but how quick his intelligence and love for you could be replaced by feral objective and thirst for battle! If he could turn away from his family on the word of a friend, could he not turn on me for the sake of ambition?”

Erumelmo’s eyes glinted. The only indication that Hendalacon’s words affected him. “Choose your words against the ones I love carefully, Hendalacon.” He took a step closer to the younger neri. “I do not defend my brother - I know him. He is young and easily led astray by glib words and false promises. But he would not leave behind a member of his family who he knows is helpless – or a friend. And how would you defend the ones who are kin to you. I do not see any of your brothers here. Have they not also taken you for dead or think you on another ship apart from they or do you believe the same of them as you do of my brother?”

A muscle ticked in Hendalacon’s jaw. His sword lifted slightly, after a moment’s pause, its tip lowered to the snow covered ground. "All that was left of my kin returned with Arafinwë! As for all your wisdom, my prince, you are blind when it comes to assessing those you love.”

“The nature of love is such, Hendalacon.”

“Then ‘tis a blessing I suffer not from the likes of it.”

“Nay,” Erumelmo stepped back and turned away. “’Tis a pity.” He threw back over his shoulder.

Perturbed by his meeting with Hendalacon, Erumelmo decided to wait for a while near the tempestuous sea. The waves crashed against the Enchanted Isles, sending columns of white foam against the darkened skies. The sea towards land was considerably calmer, as the Isles protected the shores from the sea’s onslaught. He shut his eyes and felt the spray hit his face at random intervals. The spume was utterly cold, but he did not mind.

Thoughts of Fanuiamarth besieged his mind. Melkor’s poison had not only consumed Fëanáro’s mind, but through him such wanton madness spread into the hearts of each elven family. Hendalacon’s words tore threw Erumelmo’s mind – but they did not reach his heart. In his heart, he believed that Fanuiamarth could not leave behind ones he loved to die.

In the far distance, where they had not long ago seen the dark sky turn red, he tried to search for an essence of his brother. What had happened? Why were the ships burnt? Fanuiamarth had promised them that he would return with a ship that would bear them hence. Erumelmo knew the burden of deceit was Fëanáro’s and his alone to bear. But his mind and heart were both wedged in worry for his youngest brother.

Before Fanuiamarth had left on one of Fëanáro’s ships. He remembered that night well. How could he not?

From Alqualondë, Fëanáro had taken the ships and set sail toward the north. The margins of the Enchanted Isles forced him to take the ships north before making sail for Middle-Earth. Fëanáro had to make one last halt at Araman, to meet with Fingolfin’s host that walked on the eastern borders of Valinor.

Elnaira and Erumelmo had been amongst those who marched out with Nolofinwë, Findekáno and Artanis to meet with Fëanáro’s company. They had met Fanuiamarth on these very shores.

His gaze glazed over as his mind went back into the past.

“Fëanáro has decided to split the numbers and carry each via a separate journey. He sails to the east first with the Noldor who followed him out of Tirion.” Fanuiamarth said.

Elnaira gasped. Erumelmo’s eyes widened. Artanis’ expression did not change. Findekáno was more vocal. “By the teeth of the hounds of Oromë! Who decides this? Has my father heard of this?”

“Aye,” Fanuiamarth affirmed. “He has agreed.”

“His oath to Fëanáro has led him to misguided clemency!” He gave Fanuiamarth an irritated glare and stormed off into the crowd of Elves.

“Fëanáro sails first?” Artanis questioned.

“Aye.”

“He will not return.” Her tone did not change. It was matter-of-fact.

Elnaira’s wide eyes turned from Artanis to Fanuiamarth, standing with his back to the sea. He was in silhouette, his face looked dark and morose, but, Elnaira thought, that was just the lack of light. Light had fled from the shores of the Undying Lands and Elnaira felt wounded. She stifled a painful gasp by holding her right fist to her mouth.

Fanuiamarth stepped forward, his jaw twitching. “I will go with him and I will return with a ship in such an eventuality. It is your hate for him that makes you think the worst of Fëanáro, my lady! Though there shall not be such an eventuality! If you think thus of him, why did you not return with your father?”

“I hope what I say does not come to be true, Fanuiamarth.” Artanis stepped forward until she was a pace away from the young elf. “But I know Fëanáro, I do not hate him. I know not the intricacies of his mind, nor do I need to; to suffer its darkness is enough. I shall tell you this: he is now capable of great deceit – his mind is embittered by Morgoth’s lies. And it is to protect my people from such falseness that I journey still with them, as does Nolofinwë – as do your brothers and sister.” She gave him one last appraising stare and then left the same way as Findekáno.

Erumelmo stepped forward. “Take Elerossë with you.”

“I cannot. Fëanáro means to take only the ones who had traveled with him to the shores of Alqualondë. The ones who came with Nolofinwë must travel with Nolofinwë.”

Erumelmo’s mouth dropped open. He stepped aside and his right hand pointed at Elerossë. “He bled for you, Fanuiamarth. You will make recompense for it.”

“I did not ask him to come!” Fanuiamarth reiterated in the same tone as his elder brother’s.

Erumelmo stepped back in shock. Elnaira came between them. Her eyes flashed with anger. “Fanui, he is hurt. He is our brother.”

Fanuiamarth’s eyes softened, then grew haunted. “Do you not think I want to take him across safe? But I cannot. Fëanáro will not consent to it.” He looked at Elerossë and Erumelmo. “I swear I shall return for you – if I do not, may this body find a swift end in Middle-Earth!” He dropped to his knees in front of Erumelmo.

“Ai!” Erumelmo cried, and held his forehead in his right hand. Elnaira looked stricken. As the younger elf knelt beside him, the older brother put his left hand onto Fanuiamarth’s head and Elnaira looked on, tears falling freely.

“Your eyes falter,” Findekáno’s voice jolted Erumelmo back to the present. “Of what do you think with so grave an expression?” His puzzled frown clearing suddenly, Findekáno came to stand before his dearest friend. “Fanuiamarth’s fate is out of your hands now, Turcaindo.”

“I think of how he left behind Elerossë.” Erumelmo’s voice was thick.

“He had no choice.”

“There is always a choice, Findekáno.”

Findekáno placed both hands on Erumelmo’s shoulders. “Be reasonable, meldaman. Fëanáro would have had both of them killed if Fanuiamarth disobeyed his will.”

He could have just stayed back with us, Erumelmo thought. But he did not voice it aloud. It was an inane thought. If that had happened they would not be here at all. Erumelmo’s thoughts cleared and he smiled. “You always brighten my heart, Fin.”

Findekáno smiled in return. “Come, this is one of my right guards.” For the first time, Erumelmo noticed an elf standing a pace away. He was shorter than Erumelmo and had darker skin than what a Vanyar or Noldo would have. But his eyes were crystal clear, made all the more arresting by his golden skin tone. His hair was the colour of the midnight sky and hung past his waist. He surely had Telerin blood. “His name,” Findekáno continued, “is Túrë Ornélion.”

Túrë smiled in greeting. “My lord,” he dipped his head.

“He is King Olwë’s grandson. Son to Ornélion, Olwë’s last son, and he comes to be Lady Eärwen’s youngest nephew and our distant cousin.”

Erumelmo dipped his head in greeting as well. “I have not – ”

“You have never met him because he prefers to live with Turukáno – whom he happens to think no ill of.”

Túrë gave a sheepish smile. “Lord Findekáno is just jealous that I do not idolise him as much as I do his younger brother.”

Findekáno’s eyebrows shot up and his eyes widened. Then he laughed as did Erumelmo. “The insolence that I have to suffer from the young ones these days!” Findekáno laughed. “But he has the gift to keep us smiling. That is one skill we are in dire need of now.” He sobered.

Seeing the smiles leaving their faces, Túrë mentioned, “That is why my mother named me Lalardo.”

Findekáno could not help but smile at that.

Erumelmo chuckled. “You must meet my brother. Elerossë likes to make people smile, too.”

“I would be glad to do so, milord.” Túrë smiled.

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2007 01:47
(thats fine with me Iri)

Rilnen was glad to have found Arquen and Lian, but she was very sad that Lian had lost her husband.
"I will be back my friends, I must help Elerossë." Rilnen said as she stepped away.

Rilnen smiled at Elerossë and Elnaira as they spoke. When Elnaira asked if Rauron hid his pain she nodded.
"He would hide his pain for as long as he could stand, I think. He doesn't like us to fuss over him." Rilnen said.

Rilnen wished to go with Elnaira and Elerossë, but she looked back at her friends. She saw they were gathering their things to leave, they could surely all go together.

"I think they are ready to leave as well Elnaira, I shall follow you." Rilnen said.
She walked over to Mithwen and helped her sister to her feet.
"Come Mithwen, we are leaving now." Rilnen whispered.

Mithwen nodded, her eyes lit up when she saw Lian and Arquen. "Lian mellon nin. I am glad to see you." Mithwen said softly.
Rilnen began to help her walk, but Mithwen gently pushed her sister back.

"I'm alright Ril. My legs have not been taken from me. If you wish to aid someone in walking, find someone who needs it." Mithwen said, her voice was harsher than usual, but she didn't mean it.

Rilnen smiled. "You're right, many have been wounded, I will make sure to help them." Rilnen said.

As they walked along Rilnen would stop and help someone to their feet or would offer any aid needed.
Mithwen walked in silence mostly, but she would smile and speak to Liantassë.

They began speaking about the beautiful mornings in Aman.
"Twas a wonderful place. I know I'm going to return when things become right again. But I do wonder what Arda will be like? I wonder if I will see...." She quickly stopped speaking. Her mind had drifted to thoughts of Haryamno, her lost love.

Rilnen looked back and saw her sister's downcast face and knew what she was thinking. Rilnen walked back to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.
"Don't worry, life will be good to us in Arda, but you need to be strong now. Don't think about the things that have hurt you." Rilnen whispered.

Mithwen nodded and continued to walk, her face seeming more pale then usual. Rilnen worried, but she knew she had many friends to depend on if she needed help.

Mithwen looked back at Liantassë. "I'm sorry, speaking of such sad matters are not necessary." Mithwen said with a slight smile. She made herself believe that she would find Haryamno again, and maybe Fëanaro's hold on his heart would be released and he could love her again.

"The oath must be fulfilled. I pledged to fight beside Fëanaro and nothing will stop me from completing my task."

That was the last thing he had said to her before they all disappeared with the ships. Mithwen sighed, she couldn't wait for life to become peaceful again. She knew it was a long way off.
-------
Rauron had listened to every word that Erumelmo said. He was very surprised to know that Erumelmo was a Noldo and an Vanyar. He could see it in his face though.

Rauron knew that what Erumelmo said was true, they could not doubt their decisions now.

After some time Rauron was sent off in a different direction to spread the word. He bowed and left to speak with the endless sea of elves before him.

He would come to a group and ask them if they wanted to follow Lady Artanis. One maiden ran to him, tears were in her eyes.

"My lord! Please help me, I wish to follow the Lady, but my brother is badly wounded and I am not a strong healer. Can you help?" The maiden asked.

Rauron wasn't a healer, but he offered to do whatever was needed, though he knew he still had much to do.
The maiden led him to a very badly wounded elf. He was missing his left hand and had a deep chest wound. Rauron was surprised he had survived at all.

Rauron bent down beside him, the maiden was still standing, watching him. Rauron looked over all the wounds, but even he could see there was nothing to be done.
The elf opened his eyes.

"My sister made you come, didn't she?" He asked, his voice almost inaudible.
Rauron nodded. "Tell her I don't need help, I can't be saved npw." He whispered. Then he closed his eyes and passed away.

Rauron whispered a few words to honor the dead, then stood.
"I am sorry, he was too badly wounded." Rauron said to the maiden.
The maiden began to weep, but many of the elleths came to comfort her, and the ellons lifted the dead elf and cast him to the sea.

Rauron walked out of the crowd, he knew this was just the beginning of their troubles. He continued to walk down the long line of elves, but his mind now plagued with the images and words of that elf.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 12:26
Taurohtar continued to walk down the lines of elves bellowing out orders that kept them in line and in order which could be heard over everything even though the wind was now blowing the snow and trying to blow his voice away with it. After a while, however, he had to turn the job over to another elf for his voice was fading and becoming strained. So, he headed toward a tent so that he might inquire about some drink and maybe some food.

As Taurohtar entered out of the blowing snow into the tent, he was forced to duck for suddenly a cup went flying our of the tent flap and a young elf went to fetch it.
"And next time get the order right you simpleton!" cried an angry voice which Taurohtar was immediately vexed by, how could an elf treat his fellow elves like that?
"You should not harangue the young ones so," Taurohtar said to the large elf sitting before him with a bandage around his torso, "They are busy with all of the wounded we are receiving from Aqualonde and from those being wounded by the cold."
"Keep your nose out of my business or lose it!" snapped the elf.
"You obviously know not whom you talk too, for I am servant and friend to Erumelmo as well as the most skilled sword-master in Aman or Arda." Taurohtar retorted now taking a strong dislike to the elf he was facing, it wasn't good for two very proud elves who are master swordsmen to be near each other.
"You obviously don't know who I am either. I am Hendalacon, and I could tear you to shreds with a sword before you even swung, brute!" he cried with obvious disdain in his voice.
"I am Taurohtar, and obviously you know nothing of other elves for you would know that none have ever beaten me with any weapon, I am leaving now before we draw swords on each other. I wish not to become a kin-slayer like you!" with that, Taurohtar turned on his heel and left the tent, there was going to be trouble between him and Hendalacon, but for now he would try and find Erumelmo.

This was proving difficult, especially in the blowing snow. So, Taurohtar designated some more elves to help organize the elves following Artanis and left to find a place where Erumelmo would eventually show up. This search, on the other hand, was quite easy and Taurohtar quickly found such a spot for there was a large hill where many elves were only passing around for the wind was blowing hard across the top of it.
He took out a flask of water and took a swig. 'Erumelmo is lucky,' he thought, 'he has many friends and few enemies, but more importantly a family.' Taurothar leaned against his spear as he sat and stared out towards the sea and the southern Pelori mountains where his home had been.

[Edited on 23/5/2007 by TurinTurimbar]
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2007 06:34
Arquen brought up the end once more as they followed Rilnen and her aquaintences. Liantassë walked with Mithwen , helping her along when needed. Tulonka had quickened his pace to closer to the front of the group where Princess Elnaira was helping her brother as they walked. He offered a quick smirk to the Princess and nodded, offering to take the load of her wounded brother.

Arquen noticed the snow was picking up once again. She frowned, the weathre was so unpredictable in these parts. She shifted the bundles she carried and looked ahead keeping a close eye on the group, not wanting to loose them amidst the snow and crowd of elves.

Just as she had predicted it did not take them long to come upon the tent of Lady Artanis and the group that was forming to follow her. Arquen let out a sigh as the others began to find spots to set up a slight camp until the real journey began. She noticed Tulonka helping the kin of Erumelmo further ahead and smiled. It was as he was still the child she remembered begging his father to help with the hunt. He was always eager to help and show his skill, as meager as it was.

Arquen knelt down upon the snow next to where Liantassë and Mithwen had settled themselves. She smiled at the nissi with a quick nod. "Greetings, Mithwen." Not waiting for a reply she promptly began to dig through the snow and push it away. Once she reached the drenched soil, she began placing the previously collected pieces of dry wood and tinder, arranging them in the hole, to protect the strong wood from any melting snow.

Once her stones had create the needed spark, a few small flames began to catch the wood. She knew Liantassë would soon be going about offering her services as a healer to those in need and a fire was always her most precious ingredient to make the medicines needed. With a stalwar expression, Arquen had already set a bowl made of skin hide next to the snow, so as it melted because of the flames, they could use it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having arrived at the camp Liantassë did notice the wounded and began asking if help was needed. Most seemed to have it under control, but a few here and there needed something to dull the pain and relax. With the help of Arquen's fire she was able to supply them with such help from her few but carefully selected and supplied leaves.

It seemed lately it was harder for herself to do simple task such as this. With the constant wind, she found herself having to concentrate on the next breath other than simply taking it. Her body felt weak yet she continued to ignore it, wanting no attention to be brought upon herself.

Arquen sat beside Mithwen, watching the water slightly boil close to the fire. Liantassë was tending to a wounded neri not far away and would soon return for more of the boiling water. She turned to see Mithwen rest her head and close her eyes against one of her bundles. Arquen turned her head to see Tulonka answering the summons of his mother who continued to work close by.

Her thoughts swayed as she remembered the past, what her and her family has endured because of others. She remembered the oath and her heart burned once more as she quoted it by heart in her mind. I should had left with him... She thought to herself. Her sister and nephew did not deserve this. They all faced a tremedous and in her eyes, futile, journey across Helcaraxë. If they had listened to her...if they had not heeded the words of Tulonka, they would already be on those blessed shores. Curse him! A frown developed upon her face insync with her thoughts. Arquen never liked the husband that Liantassë had chosen. He seemed weak in her eyes, too caring of himself and not enough for his family. Liantassë desereved better than him, yet Arquen was never able to convince her otherwise.

She turned her gaze as she watched his sister walk towards her and kneel by the fire. "May I help with anything, sister?" Arquen asked leaning closer to the flames. Liantassë smiled and shook her head.
"No, my dear, you should allow me to perform my deeds, as I would yours." Liantassë knew what to say to Arquen, without hurting her pride. Truth was, Lian knew it would turn to a disaster if she were to allow Arquen to help. Arquen was never good with such delicate work.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2007 02:44
As they made their way to the camp the snow began to get harder. Rilnen sighed, she looked back at Mithwen. She looked like a frail child, and it worried Rilnen.

Mithwen shivered and pulled her cloak closer. "I wanted to stay home....why did we have to go?" Mithwen whispered. She had been afraid of what Feanaro had said that night. It had made her heart quiver in fear, but Rauron and Rilnen had thought his words wise.

Rilnen cringed when she heard what Mithwen said. She did not answer back, they could not change the past.
"Stay strong Mithwen, just stay strong." Rilnen said. She wanted to encourage her, to keep her strong.
-------
When they came to the camp Mithwen sat down, feeling weary again. The cold was bitter and bit into her energy.
Mithwen smiled when Arquen spoke.
"It is good to see you as well Arquen." Mithwen said. She never forgot her manners.

Rilnen helped Lian with helping the wounded. She kept an eye on Mithwen, her eyes looked empty, she was staring into space, out at the cold land.

Rilnen sighed, the would be a long hard journey.
-----
Rauron was still making his way down the rows of elves. Some called to him for help for their loved ones, he watched as some perished, but others were still strong and managed to stay strong.

Rauron was still shaken by the first ellon he had witnessed pass away, but he knew this was not the time to be shaken by scenes that would become more bitter with time. He knew their road would be periless.

Rauron soon stopped and took a drink and ate some food. He did not take too much time, but he needed to regain his energy.
As soon as she finished he continued on his way, hoping he would be able to return to his family soon.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2007 03:38
Erumelmo spoke with Findekáno for a while longer. Findekáno told him as he prepared to leave that he would send most of the nissi ahead, to join with Artanis’ host. Erumelmo agreed. As he rose to leave, Turukáno walked up. He smiled and nodded at Erumelmo in greeting. Túrë was standing close behind the tall Elf Prince.

Turukáno was tall and slender. Dark hair, like his elder brother’s, was caught back in a queue. He turned his smile on Findekáno. “I told you he would not let you head into Arda alone.”

Findekáno smiled and sat back down. “He had his own reasons,” his eyes met Erumelmo’s, “but, aye, I happened to be one of them.” He then looked at Túrë. “Your friends have followed you, too.”

Turukáno glanced back at the golden-skinned elf beside him and his smile widened. “Aye,” he said softly. “We chose wisely in friendship.” Then he turned back to Erumelmo and placed his hand on Erumelmo’s shoulder. “You mean a lot to my family, Rumel. You and your family will always be welcome in whichever land we settle.”

“I thank you, Lord Prince.”

“Where is Elnaira?” Turukáno asked, his eyes looking behind Erumelmo. “Where is Elerossë?”

“Elnaira remains with Elerossë; he was wounded.”

Turukáno frowned. “Gravely?”

“He shall survive.” Erumelmo spoke with steely conviction.

Turukáno’s grey eyes stared into the younger elf’s brown ones for a moment longer before his smile returned. “So he shall.” He stepped back and then moved around Erumelmo to take the seat beside his brother. “The time for departure,” his voice fell hollow at the word, then it took on a stronger note as he continued, “has been set for the next twilight break. As Ataranya heads north, he shall send a volley of lit arrows into the sky as a signal.”

“Seeing them,” Erumelmo said, “my guard shall send in to the sky another group of arrows tipped with fire.”

“Finally, our arrows will light up the skies in answer.” Findekáno chimed in quietly.

“The only light we shall see for a long time to come in the skies.” Turukáno murmured, his gaze fixed on the Pelori mountains.

Erumelmo met Rauron on his way back towards the north. Nearly two score of families had followed him out of the south. Half of them were nissi who followed, leaving their husbands and brothers to form the latter guard. They met up with Taurohtar.

Erumelmo told Rauron and Taurohtar about the plan before beginning their trek back towards the north. They did not say much; but just nodded their heads as they were apprised of the design of the events to unfold in a few hours.

He noted the sombre mood of both his companions as he led the way back to Artanis’ camp. But he kept his peace. He did not wish to intrude upon the thoughts of his companions. They wrestled with their own insecurities and doubts and he never offered advice when it might not be needed or wanted.

They reached Artanis’ camp when the skies had turned dark and the snow had begun to fall again. A strong wind from the sea brought in heavy snow that blotted out the Pelori Mountains in the distance.

“Rauron,” Erumelmo called. “You have leave to meet with your family. See to their needs. Taurohtar, you may join me if you so desire. I have to acquaint Artanis with the strategy of her brothers.”

As he turned, he saw to his left, a fire kindled amid the falling snow. The light sparkled in his eyes. He moved closer to the illumination, drawn by its refusal of the dark around him. When he looked up, he saw the nissi whose anger he had come across three days ago. He never forgot a face. She was sitting near another elf, whose face held infinite kindness, but in fringes of deep sorrow. He nodded his head toward the elder nissi and gave a soft smile to them both.

Then he moved towards Artanis’ make-shift tent.

The wind had risen from the sea. It brought with it a frost that fused everything together. Swords seemed trapped in their sheaths. Bow strings were made brittle by the chill. Light flakes settled on everything covering most of northern Araman, making it into a bed of crystalline snow.

The sky was dark still. No hint of gold in it – just hues of indigo and dark blue. The stars were shrouded by enveloping clouds. The smell of the sea assailed all those who could smell and it was ripe with storm. The few bird calls that had once been heard could be heard no more. Despite the large multitude of Elves on the coast of Araman, the mood was hushed. Eyes looked toward the north.

For the sign of fire.

Elnaira stood up hastily from her seat on a rock as Erumelmo approached. Taurohtar striding beside him. Elerossë looked up and seeing the expression on his brother’s face, he came to his feet as well, trying his best not to falter.

“The time comes, sister,” Erumelmo declared in a quiet voice. He picked up her belongings and passed it to Taurohtar, exchanging a meaningful glance with the tall elf. It was not just the belongings that he passed, he also passed on the well-being of his sister to the hallaquendë.

“I do wish I could be with Elerossë and you.” Elnaira stated, biting her lip and looking up into her brother’s eyes.

“You are an Elven Princess and you must do what Artanis expects you to do. Elerossë is not just the family you travel with. Look around you, our kin will need our guidance, our direction.”

Elnaira’s eyes moistened. “I trust you to take care of him, Erumelmo.”

“You know I shall. I trust you shall take care of yourself.”

Elnaira took him in an embrace. “May whatever grace the Valar deign to give now fall on you, my brother,” she whispered, squeezing her eyes shut. She released him only to take Elerossë in her arms. “Do as you are told.” She ordered gently.

Elerossë smiled at Erumelmo through wisps of his sister’s hair. “You sound like our mother.”

Elnaira stepped back and gave him a disdainful look. “Indeed.” She huffed and nodding at Taurohtar turned to move to the west flank of the host. She did not look back.

In the distance, to the north, a horn sounded. Mellifluous and haunting.

All the Elves came to their feet. It was picked up by the answering resonance of another horn. One by one, each came as an answer to the other. When the notes came in from the west, Erumelmo smiled. He lifted the Horn of Nessa to his lips and exhaled. The notes burst forth through the cold air and it seemed to be like a breath of warmth that ran through the surroundings.

The elves standing nearest smiled and lifted their heads as one to the sky. A few stars peeped out through the clouds that still hovered – they were dim and yet their presence filled the company by a sudden hope. In that instant, streaks of flame shot into the sky from the far north. Brilliant gold-red embers in the dark belly of eternal twilight.

A few moments later, the archers under Artanis’ command let go of their own arrows ahead of the mid-company. The flames were brighter due to the extent of their proximity and the upturned faces of the elves shone bright under their glare. Erumelmo followed their descent into the cold waters of the sea.

He turned to his right and looked toward the end of the host and a flash later, Findekáno’s company let loose their signals of flame. Far ahead he heard the elven host burst into song. He looked to the west and gazed upon the land he was leaving for the last time. The snowflakes had ceased to fall and a slight heat descended onto his shoulders.

“We shall return,” Elerossë said from his side.

“Mayhap.” Erumelmo sighed. He thought of Aulë, his teacher, Manwë, his voice of reason and Nienna, his conscience. “Mayhap,” he said.

Then he raised his voice in song and holding onto Elerossë took his first step toward Helcaraxë.

[Edited on 16/6/2007 by Erumelmo]
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2007 11:11
Arquen stood and as the horns rang and voices were lifted, her eyes lifted towards the sky having seen the signal arrows. This is folly, we are surely walking to our death... she thought to herself. In her eyes she only saw doom for the Noldor. Words spoken from the beginning still rang through her ears.

They keep us caged here so the Aftercomers may rule the land Of their own accord, and here we wait like rats
Shoved in a corner by the Valar merely to keep us silent!

"Arquen, look once more..." Laintasse urged her sister as she and Tulonka looked to the arrows lifted by Findekano's company.
"Fair shall the end be, though long and hard shall be the road. Say farewell to cowardice. But say also farewell to ease. Say farewell to the weak. Say farewell to your treasure.... For we will go further than Orome, Enduring longer than Tulkas..." Arquen recited parts of his oath to herself in a whisper, yet her sisters still heard her and snapped her eyes towards her.

"Arquen, never recite the oath, you will bind yourself!" she said, fury which was not seen often in her eyes, but at the mention of those verses an anger was kindled within the kind heart of Liantasse.

Arquen glared back at her sister and looked ahead, refusing to look back. Tulonka stood by his mother tightening his lips. The words of Arquen also stirred within him, as in his mother, yet he kept his thoughts to himself, it was not his place to step in.

The fire was out before any made an effort to do it themselves. Once the flames were quenched the cold bit harder than expected. Arquen shivered beneath her heavy cloak as she watched Liantasse gather the last remaining things. Tulonka packed his collection of arrows (work in progress). As he put them in the case, one snapped from the frost. Arquen turned to see all had begun the march across the Grinding Ice.

The journey began, Arquen, Liantasse, and Tulonka, traveled with the group to the East closes to the sea. The wind had picked up speed. Arquen's braid had come undone and her hair flew wildly with the wind, but she was uncaring. Liantasse, followed with Tulonka by her side. Allowing him to hold the few packs they had. Her light hair was gathered together in a neat braid, not budging from its tight hold.

"Mother, do you believe Arquen's eyes will ever open?" he asked, careful to not let his voice carry to her ears. Lian was quiet for a moment, she looked towards the wound on her hand, the pain had grown worse, due to the cold, she could not longer feel her hand. She would not use medicine for herself, wanting to save it for those who truly needed it.

"Tulonka, Arquen's eyes are open, they are simply clouded by the words of one of the most influential of our kind. One day she will see the folly in this Lord's actions and heed his tongue no longer. She has a good heart, Tulonka, do not forget that." she said. Lian, never dwelled on the bad, especially that of her sister.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 06:06
Rauron bowed and quickly made his way to where his sisters were.
When he came to them he frowned. Mithwen did not look well, and that worried him.

Then he put on a smile and approached them.
"My dear sisters! I have returned from my long journey." He said brightly.
Rilnen looked up for helping heal a young elf. She jumped up and ran into his arms.
"I'm glad to have you back Rauron!" She whispered in his ear.

Rauron smiled. Mithwen looked up and smiled sadly. She rose to her feet and walked over, placing her hand on his arm.
"Are things well with all the people?" She asked. Her voice still had strength.
Rauron nodded. "Many have been wounded badly, but things are well." He assured her. He did not want to speak of death now.

Then Mithwen sat back down, seeming satisfied with that news.
Rilnen and Rauron walked about, speaking in low voices.
"I'm worried about Mithwen. She's so weak and seeming tired. What if she is not well enough to travel, what if she...." Then Rilnen broke off. Not wanting to say the word, death.

Rauron pulled his little sister into his arms. "You're speaking nonsense, Ril. Everything is going to be fine." He whispered.
Rilnen pulled away and glared at him.
"I am not speaking nonsense! You saw Mithwen with your own eyes! She is weak, tired and not herself. Remember what she was like in Valinor? Bright and cheery, now she is dark and unlike herself." Rilnen said.

Rauron sighed. "There is nothing we can do sister. Come, let's return to her and rest. We do not have much time left for resting." Rauron said.
He put his arm around Rilnen's shoulders, then they walked back to Mithwen.
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 03:27
Taurohtar had only followed Erumelmo since he told him that he could leave or stay with him. The meeting with Artanis had been brief and to the point; the company was moving out within a few hours and that Erumelmo was to lead one of the sub-hosts himself. Walking back to where Erumelmo's kin were "encamped" through a driving, but short, snow storm. Soon, Taurohtar was to find his purpose within the host.

“The time comes, sister,” Erumelmo declared in a quiet voice. He picked up her belongings and passed it to Taurohtar, exchanging a meaningful glance with the tall elf. It was not just the belongings that he passed, he also passed on the well-being of his sister to the hallaquendë. Taurohtar's duty was now clear, he was to guard and guide Erumelmo's sister and the small section that followed her; this was lucky for the tall elf, for his family had disowned him when he set out to go east into Arda. He would guard Erumelmo's sister as if she were pert of his family.

The horns sounded and brought cheer to many elves, but not to Taurohtar. He took one last look to the southwest where his home and family was then he turned and began trudging forward, using his bulk to plow a path for Elnaira and the rest of the host, allowing them to push the freshly broken snow off to the side so that the wagons and wains that travelled with them could pass. Occasionally Taurohtar would take a swig from a medium sized flask that hung at his side and many elves wondered at this, but no one ever saw him heed the cold.
Soon, he noticed Elnaira shiver at the cold. He handed her a smaller flask and said, "Drink this, it will keep away the cold, but only take a sip whenever you feel cold for too much and too often will choke you."
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 03:06
The wind had died down and the air was still. As he began to walk, his face turned to the left and he saw clouds gathered over Taniquetil. He shut his eyes as the song’s words charged his heart.

And now, in the fallen snow,
Our feet treading soft,
With what hope is left we go,
Our heads held aloft;

To Helcaraxë, we go,
Ai, Valar, forgive!

To what fate naught we know,
Through this, let us live!

Our kin lay all broken so;
Though loved blood was shed,
Pray, protect us through the snow,
We atone for the dead.

Our hope and faith suffer so,
Through this, let us live!
To Helcaraxë, we go.
Ai, Valar, forgive!

The refrain was picked up by hundreds of the elves who marched beside him. He turned his head away from the mountains, and pulled up the hood over his head. The snow seemed thick, but the elven feet did not sink into it. The sea to the right churned, but no great waves billowed out from it.

The walk did not tire many. Though it had been many hours since they had first started. The snow had stopped completely, but the cold was bitter. The first born of Ilúvatar did not feel the elements of nature in their genuine intensity. Though the wounded were beginning to show signs of fatigue. It was not long after that the front lines of the Nolofinwë’s host came to the large glaciers of ice. There the host stopped for a while.

Erumelmo wondered where Rauron was. He realised that the ellon had his sisters to care for, but he should have brought them towards the north and they could have begun the journey together. He looked about for their faces amongst the ones nearest to him but his attention was taken back to the pillars of ice in the near distance.

The towering mass of ice seemed insurmountable. It was visible to the elven eye of the very last elf in Findekáno’s host. But they had to scale it – and so they would – but a short respite was needed.

Erumelmo helped Elerossë to the ground. His younger brother’s lips were tinged with blue. Erumelmo’s eyes widened slightly as he saw the discolouration over the binding of Elerossë’s wound. Erumelmo’s lips tightened. “Why did you not tell me that the wound had reopened?”

“You would have stopped singing.” Elerossë grimaced slightly. “Your voice lifts the hearts and courage of the others,” his eyes met similar coloured ones, “and mine. Truthfully, I did not feel it until we stopped.”

“If only my song could help close this Vala-forsaken wound!" He sat back on his haunches in frustration. His eyes fixed on the blood seeping out slowly from his brother's body, enough to stain the entire binding. He pulled back the hood from over his head. "I know a little of healing, Elerossë, but not enough.” Erumelmo said. He walked towards untrodden snow and picking it up brought it to his brother. “Put this against your lips.” He bent down and gently removed the binding from Elerossë’s wound. The binding was soaked with blood. The wound had reopened and it was a dark colour, the skin around it was inflamed. “I fear that a part of the arrow is still within. I would cut it out myself, but I have not the spike and yarn to pull the skin close again.”

Erumelmo reached for the small bundle of their belongings and removed a dark blue tunic. Tearing it quickly, he folded a strip and gave it to Elerossë. “Keep this pressed over the gash and I shall go and get some help.” He removed some seaweed that Elnaira had collected. “Eat this. You need some food.”

“Later.”

“Now.”

Elerossë opened his mouth to argue but he saw that Erumelmo’s eyes were now nearly black with worry and determination. He sighed. “Very well.” Taking the dried leaves, he put one in his mouth and began to chew softly.

Erumelmo’s head snapped about looking for some one he knew.
Where was Rauron? His sister could help Elerossë.

But he could not see them in the crowd nearby with a quick glance. So his eyes locked onto the first nissi he saw; she was the one who had insulted him after she collided with him. He stood up and moved to where she sat with another elf. “My lady,” he said, on reaching them, “I am Erumelmo, from the House of Aleaningwë. My brother, Elerossë, who you see sitting yonder, was wounded at Alqualondë. He was treated, but now his wound requires attention without delay, and I cannot waste time trying to find the lady who treated him. Pray, would you help?”
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 03:47
(Rauron was not far from Elrosse, they were just walking a little)

They moved on, not far behind Erumelmo or his brother.
When Rilnen saw Elrosse sit back down she became worried, and began to push her way towards him, but Erumelmo called on another.

When she saw Arquen she smiled slightly. Arquen was not the one with healing skills, but her sister was.
Rilnen appraoched and bowed.
"Lord Erumelmo, I would be glad to assist. Liantasse, will you help me as well?" Rilnen asked.

She took some bandages and herbs from a pouch on her belt.
She smiled at Elrosse as she approached, and a strange thought strayed into her mind. She rather thought Elrosse was a handsome elf.

Rilnen quickly pushed that thought from her mind. This was no time to be thinking that way.
She looked at the wound and her smile faded.
"Come Liantasse, I see we have some work here." Rilnen said grimly.

Rauron and Mithwen soon were standing near Rilnen. Rauron walked over to Erumelmo.
"What happened to your brother? I hope he is not too badly wounded." Rauron said worriedly.
Then he looked at the almost invisable form of Mithwen.
She just stood in the midst of the passing people, her grey cloak close around her.

She seemed to be staring at Rilnen. Rauron sighed, he would have to take good care of her on the journey.
"I'm sure everything will be alright. Ril is very good with healing. She surprises me sometimes." Rauron said with a smile.

After a while Rilnen finished bandaging Elrosse and she sat back and smiled.
"That should do. I think I should keep an eye on you as well. I'll be near if you need any help with your wound." Rilnen said.

Then she rose to her feet and extended her hand to help him.
She called Erumelmo over as well.
"His wound is clean and wrapped. I think he should be alright for a while, but if it bothers him again, call on me, or Liantasse." Rilnen explained.

Then she walked over to Rauron. Rauron proposed to walk near Erumelmo and his family, he felt loyalty to him.
And he could see that Rilnen enjoyed aiding Elrosse.
Then Rauron hooked arms with Mithwen to help her along, and Rilnen followed them.

The journey had begun, and a rising hope and dread filled Rilnen's breast. She knew this was their hope of reaching Arda, but the journey seemed so terrible, and she was worried.
But she knew she would have to push back the worry, she had to be strong, no matter what happened.

She held her head high. Her black, wavy hair blew with the cold wind. Frost stuck to her cheek bones and crowned her black hair.
She looked like a strong figure, and very beautiful.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 07:01
Arquen stood a ways off as Liantassë worked with Rilnen to help with the wounded. The sudden appearance of the Prince startled her, yet she had no time to reply for Liantassë was already at his side as he led her back to his wounded brother. She was glad for she was able to escape answering to Erumelmo once more. She scoffed at herself and turned away looking towards her kin as they rested.

Liantassë remained at Elerossë's side as Rilnen took her leave. "She is a very sure in what she does." he remarked nodding towards Rilnen as she walked away. Liantassë turned and smiled.
"Yes, Rilnen is always seeking to redound in the ways of healing. Her hand is true and her heart is right, the Valar have surely blessed her with a loyal hand to Yavanna's gifts." she said remembering the days she spent with Rilnen, teaching her of the way of the plant and its gifts to the Firstborn. Her smile faded as she heard a moan escape Elerossë's lips.

She turned to him with a scowl, as she noticed the palor of his skin. The wound was cleaned, yet no real progress could be made to tend the wound once more until a sure camp was settled. Rilnen had given him a salve which would ease the pain, basicallly numb the wound. Yet the arrow tip remained and Lian knew it would need to be taken out as soon as possible. She would be the one to do it, however she would need the assistance of Rilnen. His conditioned worried her and she was not so quick to leave his side.

"You should not be traveling so, Elerossë." she said as she took the tunic which his brother had used to assit in the bleeding and begun to fold it gingerly despite the blood stains. "Yes, I should be on a warm feather cot, with a small crackling fire." he said with a smile upon his face despite his circumstance. Liantassë smiled beneath her worrit. "As should we all, my friend. I will travel the rest of the way with you, in case a matter such as this happens again, also I will need your good will when our journey ends this day, for further work on your slight scrape." she said quickly taking charge of the situation with a warm smile.

“Liantassë,” Elerossë said, testing the sound of the name. “Liantassë, I am befuddled. I know it is because of the pain, and yet, not because of it. I am confused because ever since I came to know life around me, I have wondered about pain. But never felt it. In Valinor, we were protected. But here we are on our own. I wondered about pain. Not the pain of a fall, or a broken limb – but true pain. I felt a pain in my heart when Fanuiamarth left us to sail on Fëanáro’s ship. I feel this wound burn my side like a furnace of Aulë.

“And now that I have felt it, I do not know whether I ought to like it or dislike it. You have not seen or felt pain either before this.” His eyes moved to her hand. “But I see you have now. If we had never left Tirion, we would never have felt this side of life. You would never have known what it was to heal a being suffering from this – this ache, this hurt, this anguish. Isn’t this pain worth what will come after?” Elerossë’s eyes burned with a sudden fire. “I am thankful I set out from Valinor. I do not doubt my decision any longer.” His eyes clouded over. “I shall – shall sleep – a bit now – tell Rumel – that I – am glad – I came.” His head dropped to his chest and weary slumber overtook him.

Liantassë reached over and felt his brow. A fever! Liantassë gasped and pulled her hand away immediately. She had never felt fever before. She knew that it was caused when the body itself was battling against a condition. But she had never felt fever before!

"Arquen, come hither!" she exclaimed. Arquen turned towards her sister and made her way through the snow easily, fixing the hood upon her head as it blew with the wind. "Yes, Liantassë." she said not looking to the wounded neri. "Could you please tell Erumelmo that I will be traveling with his brother for the remainder of the day and will stay with him on through the night." Arquen's brow furrowed. Liantassë saw the awkwardness arise in her sister's face an smiled. "Go now." she said not wanting to waste much time. Arquen pushed her cloak from her footing as she turned quickly in search of the Lord Erumelmo.

Liantassë turned back towards Elerossë and watched as he had now fallen into a uncomfortable but worthy sleep. She felt the pang deep within her as she remembered the pain she had felt when her love was slain in Aqualonde. She was like Elerossë ,confused, hurt, and yet in wonder at the emotion she herself did not wholly understand. A word had not yet been given to thier speech for what she knew she was feeling. She knew others felt it to, yet showed it more.

However, Liantassë would not yield to these mysteries, she had to remain strong for her son, for her sister, for her people. She was needed here among this March, and her heart long to see the wide lands of what awaited them beyond the Grinding Ice. No, this feeling must be forgotten, for if she were to give into its welcoming peace, she knew deep down, her soul would be no longer. The grief of his death, weighed heavily, and her soul yearned for its release, yet she would not give in. She took in a slow deep breath and shivered underneath her clothing, realizing the physical cold once more.

She raised her head to the sky, which remained dark .The light was no more, the trees had been destroyed, Liantassë hoped thier destination would offer a new light...deep down her heart could no longer take the darkness which followed them out of Valinor.

[Edited on 19/6/2007 by Iri]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 01:08
OOC: Turin, Elmaiden, Iri, I have things to say regarding our stories, but the OOC passage got too big for here so I am posting it on the OOC Thread. Please read it, before reading this post. Thank you.

IC: Elnaira walked beside Taurohtar, holding her hood tight about her face. A stray lock of her dark hair fluttered about her forehead as she looked out at the elves before her. They seemed to stretch out in a long line ahead. The cold was not yet harsh, but, Elnaira knew that it could become so not before long. They had a long journey ahead.

She looked at the tall neri making his way beside her. His face wore a grim expression as he began to take long strides away from her. Puzzled, she watched him make a path through the snow. She smiled, realising what he was doing. She hurried a few paces to come up beside him and put her hand on his right arm.

“Taurohtar,” she said, stopping his effort and bringing his attention to her, “Do not exert yourself needlessly. You do not have to make way through the snow, I can walk above it. Most of us do not sink into the snow.” She looked up at him, into his green eyes. They flickered down to see her feet standing atop the snow. They returned to meet hers sheepishly. They were gentle and spoke of great kindness. Her eyes warmed. “I am not as big made as you are, ohtar, my feet do not sink in so deep. But I thank you for your thoughtfulness.”

As he straightened, some of his expression eased, and as he took another step, his own body did not descend into the snow. Elnaira smiled. “Would you like something to eat? I have some dried seaweed with me. We can keep the lembas for special occasions. Rationing will definitely be the need of the day.” She looked up at the frozen sky. “Though daylight, ‘twould seem, has forsaken us.” She looked down and met his eyes. “We have a long passage ahead of us. Come, tell me something about you. We have each other’s company for some time now and it would be better if we grow familiar. I have not seen you much within the city of Tirion. From where do you hail, hallaquendë?” Elnaira asked, using the term her brother used for Taurohtar.

Erumelmo had hardly finished speaking when the elder of the two nissi stood and came up to him. There was no obvious, physical indication of her age, as was the wont of his kind, but the way she stood and carried herself made him realise that she was the elder, the leader of the small company she was with.

Before she could come up to him, Rilnen appeared by his side. He did not know what providence had led her there just when he needed help but, inwardly, he gave a sigh of relief.

"Lord Erumelmo, I would be glad to assist. Liantasse, will you help me as well?" Rilnen asked.

“I am Liantassë, my lord,” Liantassë said by means of introduction. “I am a healer, too.”

Erumelmo did not say another word but smiled slightly and immediately led the way to Elerossë. He realised that the wound had to be opened, he would have done it himself, if the need was dire and there was no other help to be had. Rilnen was skilled at healing as well as giving comfort, and Liantassë had a serene look about her – so he knew Elerossë would be well taken care of.

He stood up and backed away giving the healers room to work with Elerossë. Rauron approached him. "What happened to your brother, my lord? I hope he is not too badly wounded." Rauron said worriedly.

Erumelmo watched the healers inspect his brother’s wound, with a vexed frown. “As you know he was wounded by a Telerin arrow, I am afraid part of it has remained in his wound, and that is not allowing it to heal.” Realising Rauron’s absence, he turned to him. “Rauron, where have you been? I wanted you to help carry the arrows that I made in our wait by the sea. As well as distribute food to the people within our part of the host. By next break, we need to see that food has been dispersed adequately. I also need you to be my herald. You will help me convey messages to the leaders of our host as well as to Taurohtar in the west. Will you do so?”

Rauron straightened under the responsibility, but his eyes held a cloud of worry.

“Aye,” Erumelmo sighed. “I understand the burden of family, Rauron. But this whole host is your family, too. I sent my sister to the west to take charge of the other side of the host. I need to know if you will be able to accept this responsibility with the utmost honour.” Erumelmo lifted his hand and clasped Rauron’s shoulder strongly. “I will look after your family when you carry my messages to Nolofinwë, Artanis and Findekáno.”

Rilnen rose to her feet and extended her hand to help him. She called Erumelmo over as well. "His wound is clean and wrapped. I think he should be alright for a while, but if it bothers him again, call on me, or Liantasse." Rilnen explained.

Erumelmo walked away with Rilnen at his side. “The barb will have to be removed, Rilnen.” He said, a slight frown over his eyes. “I would like that done as soon as you can find the time. Also I would like it if you take a few sojourns into the company as far as you can and see if your help is required for others as well.”

"She is a very sure in what she does." Elerossë said, watching Rilnen walk away with his brother.

"Yes,” Liantassë said with a smile. “Rilnen is always seeking to ----- in the ways of healing. Her hand is true and her heart is right, the Valar have surely blessed her with a loyal hand to Yavanna's gifts."

Suddenly, a sharp pain shot through Elerossë side. Involuntarily, a moan escaped his lips and his eyes glazed over with pain.

"You should not be travelling so, Elerossë."

"Yes, I should be on a warm feather cot, with a small crackling fire." Elerossë smiled, despite the pain. The pain confused him.

"As should we all, my friend. I will travel the rest of the way with you, in case a matter such as this happens again."

“Liantassë,” Elerossë said, testing the sound of the name. “Liantassë, I am befuddled. I know it is because of the pain, and yet, not because of it. I am confused because ever since I came to know life around me, I have wondered about pain. But never felt it. In Valinor, we were protected. But here we are on our own. I wondered about pain. Not the pain of a fall, or a broken limb – but true pain. I felt a pain in my heart when Fanuiamarth left us to sail on Fëanáro’s ship. I feel this wound burn my side like a furnace of Aulë.

“And now that I have felt it, I do not know whether I ought to like it or dislike it. You have not seen or felt pain either before this.” His eyes moved to her hand. “But I see you have now. If we had never left Tirion, we would never have felt this side of life. You would never have known what it was to heal a being suffering from this – this ache, this hurt, this anguish. Isn’t this pain worth what will come after?” Elerossë’s eyes burned with a sudden fire. “I am thankful I set out from Valinor. I do not doubt my decision any longer.” His eyes clouded over. “I shall – shall sleep – a bit now – tell Rumel – that I – am glad – I came.” His head dropped to his chest and weary slumber overtook him.

Liantassë reached over and felt his brow. A fever! Liantassë gasped and pulled her hand away immediately. She had never felt fever before. She knew that it was caused when the body itself was battling against a condition. But she had never felt fever before!

"Arquen, come hither!" Liantassë exclaimed.

"Yes, Liantassë."

"Could you please tell Erumelmo that I will be travelling with his brother for the remainder of the day and will stay with him on through the night? Go now."

['ohtar' - quenya - for warrior]
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 02:19
Taurohtar looked at the shorter elf walking behind him whom he now saw as a sort of sister. Her eyes held a genuine concern for him so that he wouldn't overexert himself; however, there was a reason for him to be pushing through the snow.
"Do not worry overmuch about me overexerting myself. Besides, someone needs to help make a path for the wagons and wains however few they are and who better to help than I? As for the seaweed, I gladly accept for I have had nothing but the fatty meat of this strange, tusked creature that I killed many days ago to help feed a family with little provisions." he said gently. He then gladly accepted the seaweed offered to him from the she-elf and ate it slowly, it took some time to adjust to such food.
Elnaira looked down and met his eyes. “We have a long passage ahead of us. Come, tell me something about you. We have each other’s company for some time now and it would be better if we grow familiar. I have not seen you much within the city of Tirion. From where do you hail, hallaquendë?” Elnaira asked, using the term her brother used for Taurohtar.
"Oh, so you want to know about me, eh?" he asked, "Well, I guess I shall tell you. I grew up in a small settlement in the southern Pelori mountains where my ada had a forge that he was constantly working in. After awhile, he began to send me with goods to trade in the different cities in Aman where, only after Morgoth was released, I learned of swords. It's where I picked up my love for them and soon my father learned how to forge them. Heh heh heh, he never could make a blade that I couldn't break in practice, of course that's when I began to deliver broken blades to other forges for the apprentices to learn not only how to make blades, but fix them. For now, that is all I will tell for we have a long journey ahead of us indeed." Taurohtar then began walking again, continuing to make an opening for the wagons and wains.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 02:56
Rauron was honored to be a herald for Erumelmo.
"I will do it, my lord." He said. Then he looked back at Rilnen.
Rilnen listened to what Erumelmo said and nodded.
"I know it, and it will be done. I must go and speak with Liantasse." Rilnen said.

Rilnen rushed over when she saw how weak Elerosse was.
She rushed to help him. "Liantasse, we must do something. The arrow head cannot stay in there for much longer. Should we work on him at the next stop, or do you think it will be too long?" Rilnen asked. Her brows were furrowed.

She looked at Elerosse's face, it showed pain. Rilnen wished she could give him her strength, her healing would have to be the strongest she could muster.

"Don't worry Elerosse, I'm going to take care of you." Rilnen assured him. There was strength in her voice, and though she was slightly afraid, she would not let her fright change her determination.

As Mithwen stood and watched she bowed her head. Brown curls fell in front of her face.
"This does not look good." She mumbled. She did not feel the strenght and will that every other elf felt.
She had no desire to go to that land across the Helcaraxe.
But when she looked back at the darkness, she knew she had no choice.

Tears welled in her eyes when she thought about the times when she had danced upon the green grasses, praising the work of Yavanna and dancing to the song Nessa had put in her heart.
That song had disappeared now, her heart only ached.

Rauron walked over to Mithwen and took her arm.
"I am to be Lord Erumelmo's herald, Mithwen. He will take care of you when I send messages. You walk with me." Rauron said.

Mithwen nodded in silence. They stood beside Erumelmo.
"Do you want me to help Elerosse? I could support him as we walk." Rauron suggested.
He saw Rilnen and Liantasse were discussing when they would take out the arrow head, and he decided to wait until they made their discision.

(I hope this is okay)
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2007 01:22
Taurohtar had left Elnaira with a few nissi. She talked with them regarding some herbs each had carried from Yavanna’s gardens. Taurohtar made his way further into the host to administer any need that was needed on behalf of the House of Aleaningwë. They had stopped for a while just before they set foot onto the Ice That Moved.

“Do you think, milady,” said a young nissi who sat before Elnaira on a rock, wearing a beautiful coat of blue, “that we shall make it to Middle-Earth?”

Elnaira had been caught in a moment of reverie, looking out towards the sea far to her right, where her brothers were. Her eyes snapped back to the one who spoke. She waited a few moments before answering. Looking down at the herbs she held in her hand she twirled them around her fingers. Softly, she said, “The wisest among us cannot answer that question without a doubt, Nénheri.” She lifted her eyes and met the younger woman’s gaze. “But a fear within my heart says that not all who are here shall see Ered Lómin.”

“Aye,” said a voice from behind her. “But I mean to do much more than just see the mountains of Middle-Earth.”

Erumelmo had told Elnaira that Hendalacon was among the host. Without having turned around, she recognised his voice. She knew Hendalacon better than Erumelmo did. She was after all closer to Fanuiamarth and Fanuiamarth had been friends with Hendalacon. Moreover, Hendalacon had sought her more often than she had desired. With the pretext of meeting her brother, he would see to it that their paths crossed ever so frequently.

She did not mind his overtures of affection because they had never been carried beyond acceptable limits. If it were from a different neri, she might even have welcomed them. But Elnaira always felt that there was something dark within Hendalacon and therefore she avoided any feeling to develop for the elf. He reminded her a lot of Fëanáro himself.

Now she came to her feet, adjusting her cloak and pulling up her hood. She took leave from Nénheri and the other nissi around, and only after they left did she turn around to face Hendalacon.

He was taller than she remembered. It had been a good while before this meeting that they had met. She looked up at him and saw the palest of grey eyes narrowed down at her. Dark hair swept over his brow and his cheeks jutted out sharply from either side of a sharp nose. He wore no hood; his cape was thrown behind to flap carelessly in the random gusts of wind.

“I am sure you will do much on Middle-Earth, Hendalacon Altaha. But the purpose of what you do and the manner in which you shall do it is what I happen to fear.”

A smile spread over his lips that did not reach his eyes. “You have been speaking to your brothers.”

“I have wisdom enough to know that on my own.” Elnaira retorted. She bent down to pick up the large bundle of herbs that she had just exchanged. Standing straight, she drew her cloak about her again. “Besides I recall why you are called Altaha. Or have you forgotten why the Elders of Tirion gave you your epessë?”

“I have not forgotten. I am the happier to have my epessë. Rage helps one to do things that otherwise would never get done, milady.”

“Rage clouds judgement, counters wise advice, prevents logical thinking and befuddles the weak-minded completely.” Elnaira declared, narrowing her eyes and pursing her lips. “Rage is what has brought all of us here. Torn from our families and separated from our homes. One elf’s righteous fury has wrought so much grief –” Her eyes clouded over and her voice halted, but then it grew in strength once again. “I do not know where Fanuiamarth is – if he fares well – or – I do not wish to think it. I cannot. I have a brother on the other side of this host who is wounded. I fear for him constantly. The Valar have forsaken us. We have travelled this long winding way only to be betrayed by the one whose words called us here! If you have reason to rage, rage at him, Altaha!”

Hendalacon’s eyes flashed with each word Elnaira spoke, by the time she had ended, there was a tick in his jaw and his hand gripped the hilt of his sword tightly. “You dare to speak of Fëanáro thus? He who has helped us to throw away the yoke of the Valar from around us!”

Elnaira’s anger left her as quickly as it had come. She felt empty in a sweep of emotion. “Let me pass, Hendalacon.” She moved away.

Hendalacon took a step and blocked her way. Elnaira’s eyes flared and she looked up at him, incensed. “You will let me pass, Hendalacon.”

“Your brothers are not around, Ella.” Hendalacon stated, his eyes piercing the crowd for a moment before shooting back to her. “I offer you my protection.”

For a moment, Elnaira was too stunned to speak. But she found her voice and stated in a calm voice that defied her anger. She raised herself to her complete height and her voice rang clear despite the wind. “I do not need your protection, Hendalacon. I am from the House of Aleaningwë, daughter of Prince Oropher of the Tatyar, sister to Erumelmo Oropherion, friend to Lady Artanis and ward of Lord Nolofinwë. I command this side of the mid-host, and I am not without the skill to defend myself when need calls.” Her eyes glinted ominously. “Do I have the need now?”

Hendalacon took a step closer. “I am stronger than you, Elnaira. What shall you do when you require strength?”

“My brother has seen to that,” she said, her eyes flicking to her left. Taurohtar had returned from his assessments and had come to stand behind Hendalacon, his expression grim. “That is Taurohtar, if I need strength he will be pleased to lend his.”

(Turin, whenever you return, you can have Taurohtar step in and have a few words with Hendalacon now, though I would that he leaves without a physical fight – just words. Later there will be need for a fight when he goes against Elnaira’s command.)

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email