Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Conquering Helcaraxë (KEEP)
on: June 25, 2007 04:02
"Liantasse, we must do something. The arrow head cannot stay in there for much longer. Should we work on him at the next stop, or do you think it will be too long?" Rilnen asked. Liantassë frowned at the word 'work', yet she said nothing. What she did was not considered work, it was virtuosity, her healing was a gift, not a labor.

"I think Elerossë can afford to wait until the end of the day." She paused an looked up at the dark sky above. The clouds rolled as the wind blew, sending gust of snow whisping into the air. She brushed some out of her eyes before continuing.

"The herb you gave him will cease the pain until we can continue, later this evening. The undertaking should be quick, so we will not have to use so many herbs, we must use what we have sparingly, even in an act such as this. Thankfully, it is not too deep, but with the warmth rising in his cheeks, I am afraid a heavier bane may be upon him that we can not renew." Liantassë spoke of a rising infection in the wound, in which she had not yet come across.

When Rilnen's brother came upon them , she nodded to him with a small smile, to encourage. "Rauron, be slow and gentle with him." Rilnen instructed as Liantassë began to gather Rilnen's packs and her own. She reached for a bag and grabbed it quickly, only to drop it and retreat her hand with a gasp. She had forgotten about her small wound and had reopened it by bending her hand. She looked down to see the blood spill into the makeshift cloth. She let out a sigh and blew gently onto the wound, cupping it with her hand. Something she had learned would ease the sting. She felt a hand upon her shoulder and looked to see Arquen standing before her.

"What is it, sister?" Arquen inquired, knowing in her mind what ailed her.
"I will attend to it, properly, tonight. As of now, we do not have the time. Come." she said simply. "Find Tulonka and follow behind." Arquen nodded and the march continued on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((I've already begun writing my post about the procedure, I just need Erumelmo to introduce his post into it, so I know he is ready for it))

[Edited on 3/7/2007 by Iri]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 08:31
Rilnen listened to Liantasse and felt a great worry rise in her heart. Surely they could help him before a fever took over his body.

Rauron gently helped Elerosse. He made sure that Elerosse put his full weight onto him, he could manage it.
"Take it slow, Elerosse. We don't need to be in too much of a hurry." Rauron said.

Rilnen followed behind with Mithwen. After a moment she stopped and looked back at Liantasse, her eyes widened with worry.
"Are you alright Liantasse?" Rilnen asked. Then she gasped when she saw the wound.

"Here, let me help you rewrap it." Rilnen offered. She enjoyed helping people when she could, and she offered her skills to anyone who had been wounded before they left.

Once she had gently wrapped the wound she picked up the pack of herbs. "You can probably take care of it when we stop, you are more skilled than myself." Rilnen said.

Then she quickly turned and walked back to Mithwen and continued to follow Rauron and Elerosse.
Rilnen worried about Elerosse. She wanted him to feel completely better, she wanted his wound to heal. She wanted him to reach Arda. She would do everything in her power to help him achieve that.

Mithwen could sense her sister's worry. She smiled a little.
"Dear sister, do not wear yourself down when you try to heal him. I can see that you might have feelings for him." Mithwen whispered as she touched a strand of Rilnen's hair.

Rilnen's face turned red. "Mithwen, do not speak about that out loud. I might like him, but you are being ridiculous." Rilnen said in a hushed voice.

Mithwen continued to smile. Rilnen was glad that Mithwen was smiling again, even though she was completely embarrassed about what her sister said. Hopefully no one else heard it.

As Rauron continued to help Elerosse he noticed that he suddenly seemed to be breathing heavily.
"Are you alright Elerosse? Do you wish to stop?" Rauron asked. He wasn't sure what else to do, he saw Erumelmo and called to him. He would let Erumelmo decide wether they should stop or not.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2007 04:17
The infernal snow had been released from the dark sky once again. With the help of the wind, the flakes whipped down like small pellets of crystal. The horns sounded in the distance and Erumelmo realised that the first flank of the host had started its move onto the Grinding Ice.

He was kneeling beside an elf who did not wish to move any more. The nissi sat against an outcropping of stone, her face turned toward Taniquetil, far in the distance. Her sons had tried to move her, but she would not do so. They had asked Erumelmo to talk to her. Though his mind was beset with anxiety over his brother’s wellbeing, he had to be here to help.

“You must move, Ariethil.” Erumelmo said, blinking against the snow flying into his face. “You have come this far why lay down your courage now.”

“I don’t have any left,” she whispered.

Erumelmo stepped before the Elf, blocking her view. He dropped to one knee, and placed one arm over it, leaning forward and arresting her eyes with his. “You made a choice, Ariethil. When you left Tirion, when you walked with Nolofinwë and Arafinwë for so long on the shores of this sea. You made a choice again when Arafinwë called and you heeded not. These choices spoke of courage. I know not whether they be for the best or for the worse, but they were made with courage. Courage is not spent, it lives within a heart or it does not at all. If it does exist, it remains until your heart beats.”

As Ariethil looked into his eyes, hers flickered with pain. “Helcaraxë will not suffer us, my Lord Prince.”

“If we be together, Ariethil, it will have to suffer us. You have made it this far, I shall not let you waste your body thus. If you must forsake it, let it not be in this manner! Nay, Ariethil!” Erumelmo stated, his fingers turning into a fist. His brown eyes burned with gold. “Use it to help those who may need your aid; and if it then perishes as a result, this existence of yours shall not have been in vain.” He leaned further and took her shoulders in his hands. “Arise, now, be with your sons. Help them, help those who need help, and, in so doing, help yourself!” Erumelmo released her and stood up in a fluid movement. “What say you?”

Ariethil looked up at him and tears brimmed over her lashes. She turned her glance on her young sons standing behind Erumelmo. “Aye,” she said softly, “I will help where I can.” She stood up. “My lord, I –”

Erumelmo cut her off with a smile and a raised hand. “There is no need for further words. I am glad I succeeded in changing your mind.” He lifted the horn by his side and blew from it clear notes of music that assailed the wintry sky. Soon in the distance he heard answering calls.

He looked to his right and saw Rauron walking toward him with Mithwen, his sister. Erumelmo smiled once more at Ariethil and her sons and left them to approach Rauron.

"Do you want me to help Elerossë? I could support him as we walk." Rauron suggested.

Erumelmo swallowed, looking at Elerossë. Rilnen and Liantassë were discussing something over his head and he was looking at them quietly. Then, sensing his glance, Elerossë turned to meet Erumelmo’s eyes. His eyes softened and he smiled at Erumelmo. A sudden pain shot through Erumelmo’s heart, and he cringed. His eyes flared and he was aware of nothing but his brother’s face.

“My lord?” Rauron questioned worriedly. Erumelmo tore his gaze away and looked at the snow covered ground. He could feel Mithwen’s eyes on him. Elves had begun to move forward to the north. Slowly, but surely.

“Aye,” Erumelmo finally stated. “I do not think it wise that we begin with the healing now. We shall be left behind, and though Findekáno will not mind us travelling with his host, it is best that we wait for the next halt.” He looked at Rauron, and smiled uncertainly. “Your help given to my brother would help me see to the needs of the others within our host. Aye. It would be wise that I see to them now, so I can be with him later when he needs me most. It will also let you spend time with your kin, before I may need to send you away.”

Rauron nodded firmly and smiled. Mithwen gave Erumelmo a faint smile as well. She reached out her hand and laid it on the Prince’s arm. It was a comforting gesture and Erumelmo’s eyes lost their haunted look because of it. He looked back at Elerossë and mimed his intent. Elerossë and he often had done so in childhood, and he understood what Erumelmo was miming as surely as if he was speaking it. He nodded. Erumelmo, satisfied, turned and began telling the people in which direction to move and at what speed.

Erumelmo disappeared amid the moving throng. Elerossë relaxed with a sigh; then stiffened again, as the wound pricked his side. A dull, but throbbing, pain had now extended over his lower back and abdomen as well. His throat felt parched and he opened his mouth slightly to take in a few falling snowflakes.

He watched Liantassë and Rilnen converse a pace away. They did so in whispers, but he could catch most of what they spoke. “…I am afraid a heavier bane may be upon him that we can not renew.” Liantassë ended.

Elerossë dropped his head, his chin resting on his chest, he was afraid for a moment. Suddenly, he felt alone. Rumel, Ella, Fanui. He pictured each face – his family. He had always been closer to Rumel than any other in his family. But now he missed them all. He wanted all of them near him. Thinking about the ice that lay before his feet, he shivered. Then he thought of Erumelmo and Elnaira spanning the frozen sea, and his heart warmed.

A neri’s shoes came into his line of vision. He looked up and saw Rauron standing over him. The young elf stood before him, arms akimbo, smiling down at him. Elerossë smiled back, never having seen Rauron smile before. “My plight amuses you?” He questioned teasingly.

Rauron lost his smile instantly. “Nay!” He burst out. “I was merely – ”

Elerossë chuckled. “I was merely jesting, Rauron.” He waved Rauron towards him.

Rauron helped Elerossë up. "Take it slow, Elerossë. We don't need to be in too much of a hurry." Rauron said.

Elerossë grinned, despite the pain that shot through his back and side as Rauron helped him to stand. “Come, come, if we linger any longer, we shall have to run to keep up with Artanis, and that would just not be advisable in my condition.” Elerossë looked at Rilnen and Liantassë. “The ‘heavier bane’ would grow heavier still.” He added with a twinkle in his eye.

Liantassë’s eyes flared but then she chuckled.

"Rauron, be slow and gentle with him." Rilnen instructed as Liantassë began to gather Rilnen's packs and her own.

“No matter what he says,” Liantassë added firmly then she suddenly gasped. Everyone’s attention turned to Liantassë.

Elerossë gritted his teeth on seeing the wound. “You hide pain better that I, my lady,” he said softly.

Arquen approached her sister and spoke to her. Elerossë raised his eyebrows at Rauron, then turned to face Arquen and Liantassë. “Your sister does have a voice, after all, Liantassë.” He said, with a half-smile. Arquen’s eyes snapped at Elerossë. He winked at her. She gasped. Rauron was smiling as he took Elerossë away.

Hours passed. The ice was very close now. The air itself seemed frozen. The snow had stopped falling once again.

Elerossë was losing the strength he had gathered from his earlier rest with each step he took. Somehow he was finding it difficult to breathe and he realised that he had shifted most of his weight onto Rauron. He frowned and concentrated harder on putting one foot ahead of the other.

"Are you alright Elerossë? Do you wish to stop?" Rauron asked.

“Aye, I –” He began. Then he blinked a little and focused his eyes. Giving a slight cough, he continued, “Nay, I just – I need to speak to my brother. And, Rauron, ask Ril – Rilnen for the herb that helps me b – breathe a little better.”

Rauron looked around for Erumelmo. He could not see the tall figure any where close. So he turned behind and called out to Rilnen. “Rilnen, your help.” She hurried to him.

Elerossë’s eyes were glazed with pain and he was keeping them open with an effort. “Rumel,” he whispered.

Erumelmo was helping a healer set the broken bone of a neri who had fallen down a shallow crevasse. The ravines were beginning to appear with alarming regularity and in the crush of the host, or the deep coverings of fallen snow, they were mostly indistinguishable from firm ground.

His intense expression cleared as Elerossë’s eyes drifted before his vision. “I have to go,” he told the healer. “My brother needs me.”

“I am nearly through,” she said softly. “You may let go of his leg. Thank you for your help, my Prince.”

Erumelmo nodded and was running through the crowd before she spoke the last word.

A deeper force within the realms of existence guided him directly to where Elerossë was standing with Rauron and Rilnen.

“My lord,” Rauron stated, as Erumelmo came to stand before them. “Elerossë is too weak for further strain.”

“I agree,” Rilnen said, biting her lip.

“Rumel,” Elerossë smiled through unfocused eyes. “I can walk. Ju – just need something for the p – pain.” He lifted his arm off Rauron’s shoulder and Erumelmo took it gently. Elerossë pressed close and whispered confidentially, “I was ge – getting too heavy, and I did not wish to be such a burden on anyone else – but y – you.”

Erumelmo placed his hand under his brother’s chin and lifted it. He smiled reassuringly into Elerossë’s eyes – so like his own. “I understand. I shall take you, fret not. Moreover, Ross, we cannot stop now.” He whispered. “We’ll get left behind. The ice lies paces before us. We break for what night there be within a few hours. Will you cleave to your strength, brother? I need it.”

Elerossë smiled shakily. “Surely.” He stated.

Erumelmo straightened and looked at Rauron. “If you can, within this break, build me a handcart. Elerossë will need to lie on it – I shall pull it. If there is no other pressing task that needs your attention.” Erumelmo’s eyes were narrowed. Despite the chill, a sheen of cold sweat sparkled on his brow. He looked at Rilnen next. “Milady, the moment we break I would have Liantassë and you to begin healing my brother. I cannot stop now. Nolofinwë presses on and so shall we. We shall break once we stand on shifting ice.”

 Responses from Rilnen and Rauron.

Erumelmo nodded. Then he made Elerossë stand still and straight with Rauron's help, then standing before him, took Elerossë’s arms over his shoulders and lifted him clear off the ground.

Elerossë grunted. He opened his bleary eyes. “Rumel, I am an elf – th – this is most awkward.”

Erumelmo smiled. He turned his head to the left so that his lips came close to Elerossë’s right cheek. “Nay,” he quipped, “getting shot was the most awkward. This is just taking help from a brother.”

“I weigh mo – more than you, dimdol.”

“That you do.” Erumelmo rejoined. His smile had turned wider. He smiled at Rilnen and Rauron and took a step toward Helcaraxë.

(Iri please just make a small change in your post dated 26/6/2007 at 07:02 AM regarding Erumelmo coming toward Elerossë, Liantassë and the rest, since he doesn’t come but just mimes to Elerossë and then moves away to help other elves. Thanks. )

[Edited on 4/7/2007 by Erumelmo]
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2007 04:08
Rauron was alert as Erumelmo spoke to him, and he nodded when Erumelmo requested for him to build a cart when they stopped.

"Yes my lord. I was surely do it." He said with a bow.

Rilnen listened as Erumelmo spoke to her as well and she nodded slowly. "Yes Lord Erumelmo, I will go and speak with Liantasse now." She said. Though there was a deep sadness in her heart she tried not to let it show in her expression.

Rilnen walked over to Liantasse and gently touched her arm.
"Lord Erumelmo insists at the next break we should begin taking out the arrow head." Rilnen said. Her voice was solemn and unlike herself. She had a great dread in her heart and she could not quite understand it.

Mithwen watched her siblings from a short way away. She saw how strong they were still and she felt feeble compared.
"But this is no time for comparison, I must stay strong until I am truely spent." Mithwen whispered.

Then she began walking in the company of a few other nissi, seeing that her siblings were busy aiding the Lord Erumelmo and his brother.

Rilnen walked behind Erumelmo and Rauron with Liantasse. They quietly spoke of what was to be done, though Liantasse was speaking most of the time, Rilnen could not find words.

"I'm worried Liantasse, I feel incapable and I'm not sure why. I want to help Elerosse, but I do not know completely what is assailing his body, and neither do you. What will we do once the arrow head is removed?" Rilnen asked. Her black hair blew with the cold wind and snow flakes crowned her head.

Rauron began thinking of how he would make the cart. Much of the wood around the place was rotted by the water of frozen. He would do what he could. Then his eyes wandered around the crowds of elves and he spotted Mithwen. He smiled when he say she was speaking with some other maidens, it made him think that maybe she would be alright after all.

Mithwen felt his gaze and turned to look at him. She smiled, though her eyes still showed sadness. Rauron smiled back, he felt his heart lighten, for it had been heavy with the burden of his sister before. Now he felt stronger and more able to do what Erumelmo commanded.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 02:50
((I have based a lot of this research from the Silmarillion and the few healings that were mentioned. Mainly, those of when Beren was wounded. Since his wound is similar I used it. With this, I am able to broaden Liantasse's learning, she is acting more on instinct with her gift in healing. So much of what she does, hasn't been seen just yet by the other elves, for this is only their first experiance of wounds such as these. From it all I have concluded with the elves that spirit and healing are profoundly intertwined. Much of my research comes from www.istad.orb/tolkien/healingStudy.html#song
I am sure there is a lot you are going to want to change Erumelmo, I did not post much interaction of your character, for I was unsure of what he would say in such a situation, so you fill in the gaps of the night that need it, and offer more from your character Erumelmo. Same goes for you Elfmaiden, I played Rilnen more than I did Erumelmo, but you also will have to fill in some of the gaps. Once you both have posted I will be able to edit mine accordingly. Hope it suits OH,and I apologhize for not adding the accents, it was sort of a long post for me so give me a break ,just this once lol ))

---------------------------------------------------------
The rest of the way was hard and Liantasse let out a sigh of relief as she noticed the march was coming to an end. Signals were sent, so that everyone knew that they were coming to a rest in their journey and would trek no further. The cart Rauron had made from makeshift wood for Elerosse, had helped trememdously in moving him. However, the pain was evident on his brow from just the mere jossling of the cart.

As they had walked, Liantasse walked near Elerosse, for there was a voice, something within her that insist she stay close to the one she would be helping. Elerosse was in great pain and as his healer it had begun to weigh heavily on her as well. Liantasse had never felt this way before,but knew that it was needed for his well being. She knew it was her undertaking as a healer, to help Elerosse bear this new burden in which few others had experianced. There was a power she had begun to feel when she first was given the assignment to care for Elerosse, she could only act on that, for she knew nothing else of how to deal with what was being dealt to her.

When the cart was settled, Liantasse turned to Arquen who had been walking with Tulonka. Arquen saw a different gaze emit from her sisters eyes and grew confused. Liantasse reassured her with a smile and nodded to her to take her packs. As Arquen approached Liantasse began to explain all that was needed to prepare.
"Arquen, began to gather what you need for an enduring fire, this could take all night..." she said. Arquen nodded and turned back to Tulonka instructing him to do so as well. They needed to search the surrounding area for more wood as scarce as it may be. Some of the elves had collected a good supply of it before beginning to worst of the journey. Yet even with wood, the harsh ice and wind, made an first difficult to begin. Rilnen walked over to Liantasse and gently touched her arm.
"I'm worried Liantasse, I feel incapable and I'm not sure why. I want to help Elerosse, but I do not know completely what is assailing his body, and neither do you. What will we do once the arrow head is removed?" Rilnen asked. Liantasse took Rilnen's cold hands in her own and squeezed, offering her strength. "Rilnen you must stay well-founded. You have a wisdom of healing, your gift is still untried, yet your understanding remains. Hold onto it, grasp it, learn from it, that is all we can do for now. It is only then we may learn more of the gift given to us. I do not know for sure what lies ahead tonight, but I know what I must do and I know what I can do, therefore that is what I will do." She squeezed the small hand in her own and lifted Rilnen's chin as her gaze began to sink.

"Go tell Erumelmo, we must have a small tent, some shelter, or this healing will only be more toilsome." Rilnen nodded and left.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a small shelter, yet it interrupted the cold winds and kept them from the snow. In it, with the help of the Prince and Rauron, Elerosse now laid upon the cleared ground with two furs underneath and atop him. Arquen had built the fire in the middle of the small shelter so that the smoke was wafting the air. Her selected fuel conveyed a wet rotting smell from the dried wood, and as Liantasse entered she quickly reached into her small pack and brought out a fair sized box, which revealed a collection of dried bundles of herbs and flowers. From them, she selected a golden flower, Lissuin, and placed only two dried buds upon the fire. Within minutes, the foul smell turned into a soothing aroma which filled the tent, erasing the smell and the unpleasantness of fire's smoke completely. Even the thickness of the smoke had calmed to an unnoticable haze.

Rilnen stepped in, having retrieved some water and placed it by the fire so that it may warm. Elerosse having breathed the scent of Lissuin, had drifted into a light sleep, yet not completely. Liantasse's heart had grown heavier as the time drew nearer and with the added affect of the Lissuin had begun to calm herself and ready for the task. She placed herself beside Elerosse and felt his brow, it was hot, and his body shook with chills which were not from the cold oustide. Just as she was about to begin toready herself, she stopped and turned to see Erumelmo looking in. He seemed hesitent yet at the same time, he knew Elerosse needed him. Liantasse nodded to him, "My lord, Elerosse will need your strength as his brother, if he is to get through this. Come." she said in a soft voice. She looked to Rilnen who was kneeling by the fire, readying a wet cloth in the now warm water. Liantasse reached for it and Rilnen gave it to her without hestitation.

The healer took a deep breath as she removed the coverings from the wound and revealed it completely. Erumelmo sat on the otherside of Elerosse, not looking to the wound only to his brother's face. She placed the wet cloth upon it and proceeded to cleanse it from the medicine laid upon it. She wiped the dried blood and the now new blood, washing it as best she could.

Behind her Rilnen had begun to mix a salve which would only be effective in a small matter of time. Using her taught wisdom, she knew just the right amounts of herbs needed to mix it. It will be ready once Liantasse needed it.

Liantasse noticed Elerosse's body language and his wincing and quickly told Rilnen to place more Lissuin upon the fire. It was what was calming his mind, yet there was something else he needed. Liantasse placed the cloth firmly on the wound and looked to Erumelmo with a stern glance. "Speak to him, he needs you, speak to his mind." she instructed softly. She waited as she watched Erumelmo grip his brothers hand and lowering his brow, placing the white fingers to his forehead he began to speak to Elerosse through a connection only they had. Liantasse, waited and slowly Elerosse's brow relaxed, his quick breathing slowed, not wasting anytime, Liantasse removed the cloth, opened the wound and using the only thing she had, she reached with her thin fingers into the wound. She felt the arrow tip quickly and grabbed it, sliding it out quickly and easily. The wound began to pour blood as some tissue had been damaged and Rilnen quickly gave Liantasse a garment which had been Tulonka's, that she quickly pressed against the wound to staunch the blood flow. Rilnen knew what came next and had ready the salve which she had prepared. Elerosse's breathing had begun to quicked the moment the tip was out and nothing could ease the pain he felt now. Liantasse, knew there was nothing she could do just yet for him, she just hoped he would remain strong.

As the blood flow begun to clot, she removed the garment and Rilnen quickly stepped in with her medicine and begun to apply it to continue to stem the blood-flow. Liantasse turned and reached for that which was already prepared to stitch the wound. It was a needle used for stitching, she quickly threaded the length she would need. Rilnen stepped aside and Liantasse began to quickly sew the wound closed, knowing that it would help in the healing.

When she was done, she stepped aside and allowed Rilnen to apply the asëa aranion and to redress the wound so that it may heal. Liantasse felt weak, her small hands shook and her body felt as if would break, the adrenaline had begun to pump within her during the procedure. She was lightheaded but knew that was only due to the Lissuin. She allowed herself sometime to rest, but knew that it was not over yet. Her heart still remained heavy. An infection had indeed arisen and Elerosse still burned with a fever. She knew not how to cure this ailment, but knew in her heart there was a way, she just had to open herself to it.

Slowly she lifted herself and walked to Rilnen, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Rilnen, you may leave, I must continue this with only the help of Erumelmo. You have done well, mellon." she said with a weak smile. As Rilnen left, Liantasse knelt beside Elerosse once more and looked to Erumelmo. He had his hand upon his brother's brow and worry echoed through his glance. Liantasse waited till he looked to her and then assured him. "You must remain through the night offering him strength, I, too, will stay." As Erumelmo nodded to her, Liantasse took in a deep breath and closed her eyes allowing herself to steep into a sort of trance, aided by the aroma. Unknowingly, she began to murmur a song, with a soft melancholy voice (equivalent to Luthien's old elf wives staunching song). Although faint, her voice drifted to Elerosse calling to his spirit and mind. It was a song of healing, given to her as a gift, she did not know she posessed. The words were healing, the melody staunching. As a brace used by a carpenter to steady his hand, the song aided Liantasse also, to search for a way to rid Elerosse's body of the fever and infection.

This continued on into most of the night. Those outside could hear the song and it also affected them, setting a melancholy tone upon the nearby camp. Arquen recognized the voice and quickly rose to enter the tent. Her curiosity was most stubborn. As she was about to enter, Rilnen stepped in front of her. "No Arquen, leave Liantasse be." Arquen frowned for a moment, and glared at Rilnen threateningly. Yet she knew, this was no matter in which she should plunder, so without a word she turned an walked a distance, in order to avoid the notes emitting from the tent. It bothered her not knowing what her sister was doing. Her stubborness was beginning to get the best of her.
---------------------------------------------------------------
At last Liantasse, stirred from her coma and lifted her eyes. The fire had almost burned out making the dark around them more prominent. She did not yet know that already those outside begun to stir, for there was a new day upon them. Her vision blurred for a moment and her joints were stiff from sitting in the same position too long. She looked to see Erumelmo sitting on the opposite side of Elerosse looking to her with a smile. Liantasse was confused for a moment, then looked down to see Elerosse sleeping peacefully before her. The sweat was no longer upon his brow. She reached her hand to his cheek and felt the heat no longer dreadful upon his skin. His fever had broken and the healing process had begun. She knew now that if they were careful to keep him warm and well nourished he would be back on his feet in a short amount of time. There was a moment of silence, Liantasse unable to form words. Her head ached and she was weak from lack of sleep. The wound upon her hand had been neglected an needed attention, it throbbed beneath its old bloody wrappings. Yet, she continued to ignore it. Her thoughts were interrupted when the tent fold lifted and Rilnen stepped in with more water from melted ice.

"Liantasse, you must rest, the march will begin again soon. I will care for him now." she said moving over to Elerosse. Liantasse, still unable to speak, nodded and moved away, sitting towards the corner of the tent. There were dark circles under her eyes and she shivered from the cold. The healing song had taken much of her strength.

"He must be kept warm..." Liantasse murmured as she struggled to keep her eyes open. Yet as the words escaped her mouth she gave up and allowed herself to drift into a much needed sleep.

[Edited on 4/7/2007 by Iri]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 11:56
The sheets of ice were vast. They looked desolate and some had actually been ripped out of the floor. These towered high in various angles, giving Helcaraxë an appearance that none of the elves were familiar with. Though the far sides of the strait could not be seen – even by elf eyes – the sea on either side churned and broke against the glaciers with great force. The strength behind the sea was so great that at times, the ice beneath their feet would tremble and move.

At certain places, there were splits and a rent would appear in the blink of an eye – or so had the Valar said. Such splits were to be avoided at any cost, Erumelmo remembered Aulë saying, for they could break apart at any given moment, either to form a crevasse that led to the deepest reaches of the freezing sea, or worse, after breaking, could close back together with a grinding force that dislodged slivers of ice that were taller than the trees in the gardens of Yavanna.

Scores of feet had treaded nimbly over the first layers of ice, before Erumelmo carried his brother across them. Rauron led his sisters, while Liantassë led her family – Erumelmo could not but think of Elnaira and how she fared. The wind was ever present, since there were no great barriers to break it. It just heightened or lowered in intensity.

At several points, mountains of ice that had been created due to the shifting floor served could be used as shields against the wind when it was at its worst. However even these pillars of refuge could prove perilous, for if the floor of Helcaraxë chose to move, columns of ice could rain down sudden as in an avalanche.

Nolofinwë had mentioned – recalling what he had learnt from the Valar – that the greatest dangers were in the centre of Helcaraxë, due to its shifting nature and its bleakness. On the borders, though, that made up for several miles in the east and in the west, some vegetation, like lichen, mosses and liverworts grew. This in turn, supported an unsettled animal life. Large deer, with antlers nearly the size of their bodies, were not unfamiliar to most elves. Neither were the herds of oxen that had coats which were a mix of black, grey and brown and whose hair could reach almost to the ground.

These they had seen. But none had seen the other creatures of the deeper north. There, owls said to be the colour of the snow flew, having their eyries in the mountains of ice, large animals that were part mammal and part fish swum by the glaciers and, finally, white bears that could be double the size of a neri when it stood on its rear legs.

All the elves realised the danger of this crossing utterly and, as the mountains of ice loomed in the distance, their stride grew shorter. It was not before long that Nolofinwë called for another halt. The horns sounded their melodious strains and those were carried poignantly in all directions.

Rauron had used Erumelmo’s sword, Rávaril, Elerossë’s sword, Zarussë, Tulonka’s spear, his own sword and Rilnen’s arrows to make a make shift cart on which Elerossë could be carried temporarily. The ends of Rávaril and Zarussë dragged on the ground, each was tied to Tulonka’s spear and Rauron’s sword to create a longer frame. Rilnen’s arrows joined them both over the centre, tied down by elven rope, it was a sturdy frame. Erumelmo hauled the makeshift cart behind him by holding the hilt of Rauron’s sword and the shaft of Tulonka’s spear.

Erumelmo did not speak to the rest of the company, but made way to an outcropping of ice that surged out of the ground like a monolith. It jutted out at an awkward angle, but it was a safe haven for the time being. Here, he gently laid Erumelmo down. An elf family was already sheltering there, but when they saw Elerossë’s condition, they readily gave up the space. Erumelmo thanked them with his eyes and dropped to his knees beside his brother.

He removed his cloak and laid it on the floor. He removed the extra one he carried in his possessions and laid that on top of the first. Then he rolled Elerossë onto it with Rauron’s help. There were no words necessary. Everyone knew it was time to perform the necessary treatment.

“Rossë,” Erumelmo said, bringing his face close to Elerossë’s, “Can you hear me?” He brushed away the frost forming on Elerossë’s eyebrows and lip corners.

Elerossë eyelids fluttered. Through a squint, his eyes focused onto his twin brother. A corner of his mouth twitched. “C-can y-you hear m-me?” He countered.

Erumelmo grinned. “You have a piece of my heart, Rossë,” he said, becoming serious again, “I shall not have you lose it.”

“I’ll t-try, R-mel.” He whispered. Then his eyes blinked. “L-look.” He said.

Erumelmo turned his gaze to the skies and his eyes flared. The sky was awash with colours. But mostly, it was covered by a radiance that was translucent and beautiful! The Northern Lights of Yavanna! The sky was a riot of colour, pale shimmering forms of transparent colour – a conglomeration of pink, violet and multiple shades of green. It was one of the most beautiful things that Erumelmo had seen.

His eyes alight, he turned to Elerossë. “The Valar favour this moment,” Erumelmo said, excitement in his voice. “The sky shines for you. Ros?” But Elerossë had lost concsciousness.

Erumelmo stood up and looked around for a sharp object. The first person he saw was Arquen who was helping Liantassë. “Your sword.” He said, his voice rough with emotion. “I need it,” he said, extending his hand.

For a moment, Arquen was surprised, but then she handed it over to Erumelmo. Without another word, he used the short sword to chip out two niches in the block of ice, at the level of his shoulder. Then he lifted the makeshift cart and lowered it in an angle over Elerossë’s form, resting the parts which he held in his hands in safe niches, providing a cover. He put up his cloak making a flap on the right hand side – the side of the wind coming in from the sea.

“Liantassë,” he called. “If you need another cover for this side, I shall try to get one, I am left with no other garment.”

She smiled at him and removed her own cloak and used it for the left side. “This is more than adequate, my lord,” she said. Then she stepped inside. Rilnen looked at Erumelmo and smiled briefly before moving in from the other side.

He knew that it would be cramped inside, so he remained outside. Presently, he smelt smoke. All around him, elves were looking up at the sky and some even had smiles on their faces. He looked up at the sky, awash with colours and swallowed. Ai, Mandos, do not let him suffer. He squeezed his eyes shut. If you have to take him, take him; do not let him suffer.

The fragrance of Lissuin drifted to him and he could not resist. He lifted the hem of the cloak and peered in. The wind reaching her from outside alerted Liantassë and she looked up at him. The she nodded: "My lord, Elerosse will need your strength as his brother, if he is to get through this. Come." she said in a soft voice.

Erumelmo knew that she sensed his tension and without a word he knelt down beside Erumelmo’s head. His brown eyes turned to Liantassë in gratitude; then turned back to his brother who, for all obvious consideration, slept soundly. Erumelmo ran his fingers through his brother’s dark hair, pushing it away from his face.

As the healers progressed in their work, Elerossë winced as his wound was tended and mumbled something incoherently.

"Speak to him, he needs you, speak to his mind." Liantassë instructed softly.

Erumelmo lay down on his side, taking his brother’s hand in his. Most of his body, from the chest downward was out of the covering – but he hardly noticed the cold outside. His mind was fixed on Elerossë. “Rossë,” he began, “I am right here with you. You need to sleep. Sleep sound. All of this will seem like a dream – and when you wake you shall be whole again. But remember this, Rossë, Elnaira loves you. Fanui loves you. I – I love you. No matter how far we be – we are together. Always.”

As Liantassë extracted the fragment of iron embedded inside his flesh, Elerossë moaned. Erumelmo held his head and hand tighter. “Remember the jokes we would play on Nelyafinwë by the gates of Tirion?” He whispered strongly into his brother’s right ear. “Remember the time, Findekáno cut off his hair – they had nearly come to blows then – but I managed to stop Fin while you wrestled with Nelyafinwë. Promised him a feast at our home to compensate. Remember the feast, Rossë?” The tension left Elerossë’s body as memories were shared of good times. Erumelmo smiled to himself and continued: “I always wondered how you managed to restrain him – his temper was greater than Fanui’s! I have often thought back to that time –” Erumelmo did not stop speaking, even when he felt the fever rising.

His eyes lifted to Liantassë when she spoke again: "Rilnen, you may leave, I must continue this with only the help of Erumelmo. You have done well, mellon."

Rilnen wiped her hands and smiled at Erumelmo before leaving. Liantassë looked up at him from the wound. She must have read the anxiety in his eyes, for she said, “You must remain through the night offering him strength, I, too, will stay.”

Erumelmo nodded his acquiescence. He opened his mouth to speak but the words stumbled inward. Clearing his throat, he tried again. “There is no where else I would be, Liantassë. And for what you and Rilnen have done for my brother, I shall never forget.”

Liantassë smiled and began to sing. It was a beautiful song – but the nuances within were different. It was a song of healing, of comfort. Erumelmo let it flow through him – outside others were soothed by it as well. Somewhere far, the notes were taken up by other healers and the song was sung throughout the host. The lights in the sky shimmered and the notes in the air flowed over all in Nolofinwë’s host – the host that dared to cross the Helcaraxë.

Erumelmo did not sleep. He watched Liantassë hit the last notes of her song and fall into an exhausted slumber. He adjusted her body’s position in such a way that heat was not wasted, covering her with the same fur that covered his brother. So doing, he noticed her bandaged hand. He frowned at it. But he decided to ask her of it later, for now he let her sleep.

He stepped out of the small “tent” and walked out into the host. Taking on the concerns of the elves that had been neglected by his stay with his brother. Rauron had seen him leave Elerossë’s side and fell into step with Erumelmo, without even having to be asked.

Erumelmo received news that three elves had been collected by Mandos already. Two had succumbed to their previous injuries and one had been killed in a skirmish. No one realised who had attacked first – but the argument had been about furs. The one who died had no family and there was no evidence that could allot blame to one elf. He was a young elf, who had been left behind from Fëanáro’s host.

He wanted to pursue the matter further, but he knew that in a short while they would have to resume their journey. Grimly, he stood up after inspecting the body of the fallen neri. He looked at the ones standing the closest. “If anyone remembers anything – any detail – however minute – it shall be brought to my notice. Immediately.” Then he looked down at the body. The elf was wearing a heavy cloak and calf-high shoes. Erumelmo looked up into the light filled sky.

So this is what I have to do now. You imbibe us with Reason and now you divest us of our pride.

His mind made up, he looked at Rauron. “Help me remove his clothes. Save his tunic and leggings, we take everything, even his sword.” Erumelmo picked up the neri’s sword from where it had fallen. Standing straight, he noticed that Rauron stepped back, his eyes wide. “It has to be done, Rauron.” Erumelmo said softly. “His body does not require the clothing – but the wounded require the extra furs. This sword,” he said, indicating the weapon in his hand, lifting it high, “will help to carry another wounded elf.”

Rauron did not move.

Erumelmo sighed. “So be it.” He dropped to his knees and began divesting the body of the much needed furs. All around he could hear the elves whispering. He could even tell angry whispers. “If anyone has any quandary or dilemma in accepting my judgements they are free to join Findekáno or Nolofinwé’s hosts.” His eyes shot up to pin all of theirs, one by one. “But I shall assure you, my kin, things shall not be very different in their reason. The ones who leave their bodies do not need warm furs or hardy shoes, those who live do! Nothing shall be discarded from now on!” He commanded in a loud voice. "Spread the word. Disperse!"

Slowly, the elves began to disband. But before they could, Erumelmo called out to three of the neri. “You will help me cast the body into the sea.”

At this, Rauron stepped forward. “Nay, my lord,” he said. “I shall help.”

Erumelmo stood up with the divested clothing. “Very well.”

When Liantassë awoke, Erumelmo was sitting in the same position as he had been in before. He smiled at her. She reached out to touch Elerossë’s brow.

“The fever has abated.” He said.

“It may return – he has not fully recovered yet, my lord,” she corrected hoarsely; he could tell she was having difficulty speaking.

“I realise that. I need you to help him recover, Liantassë.” His eyes dropped to her bandaged hand. “Therefore, I need you to take care of yourself first.”

Before she could say aught, Rilnen opened the flap and knelt down beside them. "Liantasse, you must rest, the march will begin again soon. I will care for him now." she said moving over to Elerosse.

"He must be kept warm..." Liantasse murmured as she struggled to keep her eyes open. Yet as the words escaped her mouth she gave up and allowed herself to drift into a much needed sleep.

“Let her rest beside him,” Erumelmo told Rilnen. “And, my lady, if you would, pay heed to Liantassë’s hand. I fear she has not been giving her own injury ample importance. And I need to thank you for all that you have done for my brother. I am in your debt.” So saying, Erumelmo shifted out of the covering and resting his back against the ice behind him, he shut his eyes in sleep.

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 12:44
After Rauron worked with Erumelmo to fix up a tent he stepped back, allowing his sister to enter the makeshift tent.
Rilnen felt a little bit nervous. What if she made a mistake?

“No, Liantasse will help me and I may learn much from this.” Rilnen thought.

Then she knelt beside Elerosse, she felt a sudden horror rising inside her, what if he didn’t make it?
Rilnen shook her head, black wavy hair swayed. “Don’t give up now.” She whispered.

Then Liantasse asked her to get some water. Rilnen rose and quickly walked out to get some water.
When she stepped out she saw bright colorful lights in the sky. She looked for a moment in wonder but she knew she had work to do.

She soon came back with some water and placed it down. Rilnen immediately placed a cloth into the warm water and then handed it to Liantasse.
Her eyes were set on Elerosse’s face.

After another moment she began mixing together a salve that would aid in Elerosse’s healing.
Suddenly Liantasse told her to put more Lissuin on the fire.
Rilnen threw more Lussuin onto the fire without another word. She was very alert now to Elerosse’s body language as she had been taught to sense.

When the piece of metal which was the arrow head came out Rilnen grabbed the piece of garment and handed it quickly to Liantasse.
Then she took the salve and once Liantasse had stepped out of the way she applied the salve to the wound.

Then Rilnen finished and allowed Liantasse to sew up the wound.
Rilnen felt relief when she began to wrap the wound. It was over and they both had done well.

"Rilnen, you may leave, I must continue this with only the help of Erumelmo. You have done well, mellon." she said with a weak smile.

Rilnen smiled back and left the tent. She saw her brother standing near the tent, waiting for his lord to give orders. Then Rilnen saw Mithwen standing alone, staring at the sky.

Rilnen walked over and put her arm around her sister.

“How are you feeling?” Rilnen asked.

Mithwen looked at her. “Weary.” She answered.

Rilnen nodded. “I think we all feel that way.” She said.

Mithwen looked back out at the vicious sea. “Do you think we’ll ever see land again? A land that is promising and kind to its inhabitants.” Mithwen asked.

Rilnen shrugged. “We can only hope.” She answered.

Mithwen fell into silence and then Rilnen noticed Arquen trying to enter the small tent.

“No Arquen, leave Liantasse be.” Rilnen told her.

She could see her friend was not pleased about this, but Rilnen refused to give her entrance.

--
When Erumelmo exited the tent Rauron quickly made his way to follow him.

Rauron quickly gave Erumelmo news of the recent happenings. Three elves had died, two of wounds and another because of a fight for furs. No one knew who to blame.

When they came to inspect the death of the young neri Erumelmo asked Rauron to take the furs and other warm clothes and even his sword.

Rauron hesitated. How could he take this elf’s possessions? He did not move even after what Erumelmo told him.
Rauron stayed and watched as Erumelmo took off his furs and boots and then his sword.

Rauron felt guilty for not helping Erumelmo afterwards, for he realized the Prince was speaking truth.

“I shall help you cast his body to the sea.” Rauron said.

Then they both walked towards the edge of the sea, carrying the body of the neri.
Then they tossed him into the raging sea. Rauron bowed his head as the body of the elf was engulfed by the wild sea.

“Shall we return my lord?” He asked. He thought maybe Erumelmo would be worried about his brother.
--
Much later Rilnen walked up to the tent and entered. She had a worried expression when she saw Liantasse looking so weary.

“Liantasse, let me take over now. You rest.” Rilnen said.

She looked up when Erumelmo asked her to take care of Liantasse also.

“I will do it, my lord.” She answered.

Once Erumelmo had left she unwrapped the bandage around Liantasse’s hand so she could see the damage.
She winced when she saw it, but began working to help her wound.

TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 03:15
((ooc: Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but I haven't had time to.))

Hendalacon took a step closer. “I am stronger than you, Elnaira. What shall you do when you require strength?”

“My brother has seen to that,” she said, her eyes flicking to her left. Taurohtar had returned from his assessments and had come to stand behind Hendalacon, his expression grim and his spear in the snow at such an angle that a simple wrist movement would impale the neri standing in front of him. “That is Taurohtar, if I need strength he will be pleased to lend his.”

"Oh aye, I'd be more than happy to lend my strength." Taurohtar said and then in a whisper that could be barely heard over the blowing snow to the slightly shorter Hendalacon he said, "So we meet again angry one. Before you say anything, I still have no desire to fight you, but if I must, I must. So don't do anything against Lady Elnaira's wishes."

"So, your brother has sent this, this muscle-bound buffoon to protect you, so be it. I will not be far away." Hendalacon spit, he then sneered at Elnaira and then left to hide amongst the crowd. After Hendalacon disappeared, Taurohtar called a trusted neri to his side and told him to keep an eye on Hendalacon, he might cause some sort of trouble.

"Do not worry about Hendalacon milady," began Taurohtar as he shifted toward Elnaira, " we have met before and he is nothing more than an imperfection in a piece of iron."

"Don't underestimate him Taurohtar, he is a strong and subtle warrior who is as hot tempered as Feanaro. If needs be, you will have to fight him for I know no one else who could." Elnaira said.

"Aye milady, he is the one elf that I would relish fighting; however, I would not kill him, I would let Nolofinwe decide his fate." Taurohtar replied while looking through the falling snow to where their camp was to be. He then led the company that Elnaira was in charge of to the site that Taurohtar had cleared a path to not but a few hours before. Once the company got to the site, Taurohtar did not rest until every family was in a tent and even then, Taurohtar taught the secret of his warming draught to all those with cooking skill so that all of the elves could withstand the cold that the near-constant snowfall brought.

Taurohtar was still working when the Northern Lights came out, then he climbed a snow drift and stared up at the sky. Elnaira then spotted him and climbed up the hill beside him.

"Go rest." she said, "You have worked hard and need to rest, otherwise you will be no good the rest of the journey."

"I will be fine milady," Taurohtar began, "I have worked many long days and nights before at home, this is little different, besides the cold."

"In that case," Elnaira said, "I order you to stand down from whatever you're doing and go rest before you kill yourself." Taurohtar laughed at the shorter, younger elf standing beside him.

"If you insist, I will go rest." Taurohtar said. He then walked over to a smaller tent beside Elnaira's and collapsed onto a cot and practically passed out.

Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 06:10
The song which had so touched the elves around here fell numb on the her cold heart. Arquen was not able to be enchanted by its words, none of it settled the grinding within her, which ran in sync with the ice beneath her feet. despite her previous curiosity, the song fell on deaf ears for her. She sat beside Tulonka, who laid upon his cloak, enjoying a restful sleep, the words of Liantassë's song having soothed his soul.

She leaned over him, to see that he was indeed asleep. Arquen wished such peace would rest upon her shoulders, and wondered why it had not, others seemed to be able to relax. Frustrated she rose from the little nook she had created with her fur blanket and turned to wrap it around her shoulders. Surely she would rest after taking a walk amongst the camp.

Her feet had not yet become used to the slippery ice and she had a hard time keeping a steady pace, however casual it was. She had walked a small distance from the original camp and could hear the sounds of the crashing waves, yet could not see them. Large lights could be seen above and despite their wonder, Arquen paid them no heed.

She had not been quite herself since the March began and since Feanaro's words struck a flame within her. She had stopped an looked out across the ice, now close to the edge of the camp. As she gazed, her keen hearing picked up the sound of shuffling footsteps upon the ice. Grunts and threats followed along with the cries and mumblings of a small crowd. Arquen followed the sounds, walking towards a crowd that had unusually gathered. In the midst, she saw one neri raise his sword to the other in a threat, the other standing his ground. "You will regret this night, my friend." she heard the raspy voice say, and she winced when the sword fell upon its victim.

The horror had not quite struck her of what she was seeing. A sinister laugh echoed in her head as she watched the killer search the now bleeding body. It was then she felt she should do something, but something within her made her remain...undaunted.

Pull it together... She thought to herself, not understanding the struggle within. Those around her, seemed just as surprised at what they had witnessed and many had made a quick exit, others stood unknowing of what to do. Then out of nowhere she rose and tried to hurry to the camp, only to loose her footing on the slippery ice, which had frustrated her before. She slipped and landed forward, unable to catch herself. Her chin hit the ice, busting it and her hands had scraped against the cold surface. She let out a gasp and quickly gained her footing and turned, only to see that the neri which had done the killing stood before her as she slightly bumped into him.

She stopped and gazed into his deep eyes. His eyes sparkled from the Northeren lights above, appearing like diamonds within a stone wall. Her brow furrowed...wondering why he was not pursuing her. Regaining her wits, Arquen let out a gasp and dodged his overwhelming figure hurrying to return to the confides of camp.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tulonka awoke from a pleasant dream, which allowed him to remember the days in Valinor when his father was still alive. He rose from where he laid with a small smile, thanking the Valar for the memory, knowing it was they who sent it. He looked to his right only to see Arquen sitting beside, straight, and stalwart as if she were a statue. "Did the Valar also grant you a blessing from your rest?" he asked wishing she would smile. She had changed so much since the march had begun, Tulonka hated to see her act as she had recently. He missed her wit and her clumsy manner, all that seemed to be a distant memory...or even just a drem.

He frowned when he realized she was not answering...or even paying attention to him. "Arquen..." he said, nudging her slightly with his elbow. She shot her head quickly to him with a glare. He was taken aback by her offensive manner and then noticed the deep scrape on her chin, which now had dried blood upon it and the skin around it was turning purple. He frowned and wondered what had caused it, but he knew better than to ask, from the look she was giving him.

"I asked, did you sleep well?" he repeated. Arquen's glare slowly subsided and she turned away from him.
"No." was all she answered. Tulonka let out a sigh and rose, taking up his now wet cloak, and placing it once more upon his back.
"I'm going to go check on mother." he said, not expecting a reply. Arquen remained where she sat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tulonka waited until Rilnen was done wrapping the wound upon his mother's hand and when she exited he asked if he may go in. She nodded simply. He peeked in and was careful when entering to not disturb the sleeping neri who slept close to his mother. Their body heat was aiding one another, so they may have a good rest.

Tulonka knelt beside his mother and saw the remanents of dark circles under her eyes. She always seemed so frail to him, like the ice of Helcaraxë which seemed to break just by a gust of wind. He was proud of what she accomplished with her skill of healing. He knew his father would have been proud even after fitting over the whole situation had he been here. Worrying only for the health of his, melian elwen (dear heart).

Tulonka grew somber at the memory of his father...and the death of his father. He gazed upon his sleeping mother's face and knew that she too was suffering greatly from the grief, however she never ceased in her care for others. Tulonka knew she had begun to take on the weight of others a bit more than she could handle, it was evident upon her features, that only, he as her son, would notice. The rosy color which once had filled her cheeks was gone, and only a pale streak could be seen. Tulonka worried for her. Taking her hand he laid a small kiss upon the limp fingers, reciting an oath within his heart.

We will get through this, mother. You and I shall both see Middle Earth. I will build your home, you have always wanted, by a small stream. And you will have your herb garden, where you can plant your gold Lissuin. You will be happy again, Liantassë. "Antan vandanya..." (I swear) he said aloud, so that at least could be heard.

She stirred at the familiar voice and her eyes slowly opened. When she saw her son sitting beside her a weak smile graced her face. She turned to see that she had slept beside Elerossë, who also lay sleeping. The healer began to remember the events that had taken place, and at first worry began to fill her, yet when she looked up to see Tulonka once more she relaxed, knowing everything was alright. "Rilnen said you should rest until it is time to leave." he told her as she slowly rose, careful not to wake the sleeping Elerossë.
"I'm rested,Tulonka." she whispered, reminding him to keep his voice down. She looked to her hand having felt the fresh wrappings. It felt better, having been tended to. "Tulonka." she whispered looking to him, motioning him to leave. He nodded and rose quickly, lifting the flap, and leaving. She had a few more things she wanted to check before leaving Elerossë fully to the care of Rilnen as she had decided she would during the night. Rilnen was a very capable healer and her light laughter and upbeat characteristics would aid in the recovery of the jovial neri. She laid a hand on his cheek, feeling only the normal warmth.

Liantassë had to let herself relax and accept that there really was nothing more for her to do. She let out a sigh and made herself smile. Leaning down she placed a small kiss upon Elerossë's cheek. It was a gesture of relief from Liantassë to Elerossë, them having both battled the sickness through the night. After it all, she felt a small bond between them both, and the small gesture only seemed appropriate. Liantassë lifted the flap as she left, only to be greeted by a cold wind and more shifting beneath her feet. She wobbled slightly from the small tremor. The night before was a long night and Liantassë remember that this was only the beginning of their journey over this precarious path...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arquen could sit no longer. Her nerves were shaken, and her muscles were tense. She could not find any peace, no matter how hard she tried. She felt she was fighting a constant battle within herself, and to no end. She rose from where she had sat through the night, where she had sat in total fear, that whoever the neri was, would come for her. Yet, fear could not be seen in her eyes.

She took up the fur she sat upon and wrapped it about her shoulders. Unable to sit in one place much longer, not thinking anymore of her sister or her sister-son, she walked. She walked throughout the camp, trying to ease her mind, only to hear the talk of others having found or pointed towards the dead body close by. However...Arquen said nothing, she acted interested and followed a nissi who had informed her of this news. When she arrived...she saw the body, lay in its own blood which had sank into the ice and was frozen. Her brow furrowed and her stomach tensed up in an unusual manner, forcing her to escape the crowd and fall to her knees, retching.

She was humiliated and walked a good distance from the crowd. A tear fell from her face, she did not want any to see her weakness. Memories of that night haunted her, his diamond eyes staring back her. "Racco!"*curse!* she exclaimed unable to withold her feelings. She was too far from the crowd, for any to really notice her. She gritted her teeth, determined not to let it all get to her. Then she heard Erumelmo's vocie above the crowd which had surrounded the body.

"If anyone remembers anything – any detail – however minute – it shall be brought to my notice. Immediately.” Arquen quickly straighted herself and turned to see him looking down at the body, deciding on what should be done.
Tell him, Arquen...tell him what you saw! a voice echoed within her. No, let them pay from this bloodshed. Then they will realize their foolishness in this crossing!

Arquen glared as she watched them take the belongings from the dead body and allowed her heart to harden. She would not tell them what she saw that night, no...she would remain silent.

[Edited on 24/7/2007 by Iri]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 06:27
Once Liantasse had left the tent Rilnen approached.
“How does he fare?” She asked. She hoped things were well with him.

Liantasse explained that he made it through the night and seemed to be a little stronger.
Rilnen felt relieved, they had done it together. Then Liantasse told Rilnen that Elerosse was to be fully in her care.
At first Rilnen felt that it would be an overwhelming task, but she agreed and she knew it was what she wanted to do.

Rilnen stepped in and knelt beside Elerosse, waiting for him to wake. She knew she would have to make sure he stayed well, that was her responsibility.
She took the cloth from his forehead and wetted it again, placing it back on his forehead.

She took her flask of water and would give it to him when he woke.
Rilnen gently stroked his dark hair; her blue eyes looked down at him showing that she truly cared for him.
She wouldn’t admit it to anyone, because she felt shy about it, but she had feelings for him.

She liked his attitude about this whole journey, he was calm and he smiled even when everything seemed bleak.
Rilnen was the same in some ways; she tried to keep herself joyful in this terrible situation.

Then she felt Elerosse begin to stir. She picked up the flask and put it to his lips.

“Drink Elerosse, it is only water.” She said softly.

Once he had taken some water she wiped his face with the wet cloth.
--
Rauron sat outside the tent with Mithwen. She was still quiet and sad as was usual since they left Valinor.
She had managed to sleep after hearing Liantasse’s song, but still she seemed troubled.

“Mithwen, I know you miss Ciryan but you cannot live in the past if you wish to move onto the future.” Rauron said.

Mithwen looked at him. “My feelings for Ciryan have long grown cold, Rauron. I miss Valinor, where I had wished to stay.” Mithwen said, her words bitter.

Rauron looked out at the sea, he knew that Rilnen and he had persuaded her to go and follow Nolofinwe.

“I’m sorry Mithwen, but if I had stayed I would have always wondered what it would have been if we had left. And I am the herald for Lord Erumelmo. I have never been so honored.” Rauron said proudly.

Mithwen sighed. “Yes, you are too young to understand that with adventures come perils.” She said softly.

Rauron was angry now, Mithwen was being impossible to talk to. She wouldn’t listen to reason.

“Mithwen, please understand that I never wanted to hurt you. I knew that this would be perilous, but I had hoped you would be strong enough.” Rauron said.

Mithwen glared. “I lost my strength once those ships were stolen. That was an evil deed, one we are paying dearly for when it was not our own doing. It was Feanaro that took them. We fought because we thought the Teleri began the fight. We were confused, and we killed innocent elves. And I lost Ciryan to Feanaro.” Mithwen explained, her voice showed the pain she felt.

Rauron stood. “I’m sorry Mithwen. If we could turn back I would let you go, but you are under my care and even when I am gone with Erumelmo I will be thinking of you. Please Mithwen, just stay strong. The land beyond will be a place where we can prosper.” Rauron said.

Mithwen did not answer. She stayed silent and stared out at the sea. Rauron wasn’t sure what would happen to her. Maybe she would not make it to Middle earth.

“No, I can’t think of that. She will remain strong. She has to.” Rauron told himself.

Then he walked to the tent and sat there, awaiting his lord.

Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 02:20
Elnaira held onto her hood with her left hand as she made her way through the clusters of elves taking their rest. She used her right to touch those she knew by name as a gesture of comfort. The lights still shimmered in the sky and now they had a pink translucence at their edges that ran away from the dark horizon towards the sea.

Her gaze followed the lighter hue towards the south and her heart gave a sudden lurch. Her hand lowered to the centre of her chest and she paused looking upward. As she turned the hood was whipped away from her head and wisps of dark hair that had escaped from her plait whisked against her eyes. She turned away and began walking back toward the small shelter that Taurohtar had created for them from his spears and heavy robes.

She did not particularly pause to gaze at the rising ice formations because in her heart she knew that she would have them as company for a long way hence. As she rounded a familiar outcropping, behind which she knew was where Taurohtar slept, she saw a small crowd of elves gathered. As she approached the outer fringe moved away in deference.

Artanis stood in the centre with her brother Aikanáro; Taurohtar stood beside them. Elnaira smiled whole-heartedly. She had missed her friend. She went up to Artanis and embraced her tightly. “Your presence is as welcome as the lights in the sky,” Elnaira whispered.

“The elves are pleased with you,” Artanis said, “You have governed well and helped those in need.”

Elnaira merely smiled and then she turned to embrace Aikanáro. “You bring news?” She asked them both.

Artanis nodded and she led Elnaira away from the crowd. They understood themselves and slowly dispersed to their own groups. Taurohtar kept Aikanáro company.

“Nolofinwë has decided before we begin this march in earnest that there are a few things we need to decide on legitimately. The lights shining in the sky are fortuitous and the council should be held now. Thus, tomorrow has been set as the Day of the Council on Ice. The three group leaders shall meet and decide on certain measures that we shall all have to take. This shall be done near the largest monolith of ice that you see to your left a distance away.”

Elnaira looked to where Artanis’ gaze was directed and she saw a large formation of ground that had risen to create a small knoll, but the snow that had kept falling on it had impacted over the years and there was a larger covering of ice on it than what its own height measured.

“Nolofinwë and Findarato come from the fore,” Artanis continued, “I shall stand with Erumelmo and you, Findekáno and Turukáno shall be called in from the end. Messengers have already been sent and I shall go and speak to Erumelmo.”

Elnaira smiled, she was going to see her brother again...but Elerossë…

“Unless,” Artanis added knowingly, “you would rather be my messenger and go and fetch him yourself.”

Elnaira did not know whether she should cry or laugh. Her eyes welled up.

“I see you would,” Artanis smiled. “Very well, Taurohtar will go with you, naturally, and I shall stay here until your return.”

All Elnaira could do was embrace Artanis in gratitude. She lifted her skirts and nearly ran back to where Taurohtar stood with Aikanáro. “Taurohtar,” she said breathlessly, “we have to go and fetch Erumelmo.” She began to take what little she needed for the short journey toward the sea.

Erumelmo walked toward Rauron just as Mithwen walked away from him. She nodded to Erumelmo but he knew that her mind was fogged with bitterness. Her eyes spoke more then her demeanour. He looked to Rauron who was looking after his sister with saddened eyes, but the moment they focused on Erumelmo they cleared.

“My lord,” Rauron said as he came to his feet. Erumelmo waved him back down. With effortless grace, he bent his knees and sat beside Rauron. “This journey shall prove perilous to us in two ways, Rauron. It will try and defeat our bodies. It will also try to vanquish our spirit.” Erumelmo turned to pierce Rauron’s eyes with his own. “It may succeed yet with the first; but I shall not allow it the pleasure to succeed with the latter. I do not ask you to force hope into hearts, but you can keep trying to make them believe that it still does exist. And if you ever need help with that, I shall always be willing to help.”

Rauron smiled. He nodded. “How does your brother fare, my lord?”

Erumelmo’s brown eyes moved to the makeshift tent a few paces away. “Your sister and Liantassë have given me my share of hope.” He said, turning a smile onto Rauron. Then, “We have stayed over long here. The horns should have rung out a while back. Will you take a jaunt upto the middle of the host, Rauron, and see if you can find anyone from Artanis’ company? Maybe they have word of our prolonged stay.”

They both came to their feet and Rauron went off as he was bidden. Erumelmo pushed back his hair and walked to where his brother slept. He noticed Liantassë leaving the rough shelter. As he reached her, there was a slight tremor under their feet, and he saw Liantassë’s eyes widen. He placed his right hand comfortingly on her shoulder.

“These tremors are too insubstantial to matter, Liantassë. You look weary,” he said, scanning her face with concern. There was no sign of outward fatigue, but her eyes were glazed.

“You need your strength, too, my prince,” she said, almost in a stern manner. “You have not slept ever since we broke camp last. If you succumb to fatigue who shall carry Elerossë? Rauron and Tulonka would, but you have appointed them the guards of our small group. Though Tulonka can –”

“Nay, my lady,” Erumelmo cut her off softly, “I shall carry my brother. I have to.”

Liantassë nodded. “I understand. Then sleep.” She chided.

Erumelmo smiled. “You have a beautiful spirit, Liantassë,” he said, before moving aside the hanging robe and moving inside the shelter.

Elerossë’s lips were dry. He knew he could not offer him water, so Erumelmo merely dipped a clean rag in fresh snow and applied it to his brother’s lips.

“Elle,” Elerosse mumbled.

“Nay, ‘tis Rumel,” Erumelmo whispered.

“I’m cold, ‘Mel,” Elerossë whispered back.

Erumelmo gritted his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut. He pressed his lips against his brother’s forehead. “I’ll keep you warm, heart.” He opened his cloak and gently covered Elerossë with its folds. Then he slept on his side and hugged Elerossë with one hand, bringing his body close to his. He laid his head beside Elerossë’s and watched the lashes of his brother flutter softly against his cheek. When they stilled in sleep, Erumelmo allowed himself to fall into slumber.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 05:40
Mithwen sat in silence. Watching the sea as if it would show her the answers to her confused questions.
She felt cold inside, she felt as if she was falling away to nothing.

“And it’s all because of Feanaro.” She whispered angrily. She had once admired Feanaro for his ability to make jewels of brilliant beauty, but now he felt more like an enemy.

She remembered vividly the day when they had to fight the Teleri.

Suddenly they could hear cries on the wind. Nolofinwe could see the Teleri and Noldor fighting.
“Come! They are attacking!” Nolofinwe shouted.

Mithwen felt her heart stop. She could feel Rauron and Rilnen pulling her forward, but she could not move.
She looked over and saw Ciryan rushing forward and slaying a young elf.

“No! Ciryan stop this madness!” She cried as she ran forward.

She grabbed Ciryan’s arm and held him. “Stop this now!” She shouted.

Ciryan pushed her off and continued the fight. Mithwen stood there, she could do nothing.
She turned and began running as fast as she could away from battle. She could not do this and she could not watch it either.

But Rauron saw her and took her back. “We must flee with the ships!” He said.

Mithwen pulled, trying to get away. “Do you see what you are doing!? My home is not here!” She cried.

Mithwen wanted to stay and serve The Valar named Aule, he had taught her how to make jewels of striking beauty.
She tried to get away, tried to leave, but then Ciryan came and lifted her in his arms and carried her away.

When they were abroad the ships Mithwen became silent. She rarely spoke, and when she did she would say something about the death of innocent elves.
In her mind Mithwen was raging. She needed to stay with her family, since she was the oldest, but this was pure madness.

“I shall never see home again.” She whispered.

Mithwen was a soft hearted maiden. She hated seeing death, and it brought such pain to her heart. She was not meant for this. What she loved doing was making things, creating beauty, not destroying it.
She knew her fate should have been to remain in Valinor for all her days of eternity, but she also knew her role to care for her younger siblings was also important.

“Ai, why were these choices put before me?” She would asked.

Then came the day before the ships disappeared. Mithwen had not been with Ciryan since the day of the kinslaying, for he was not the elf she had known in Valinor. Ciryan came to her and told her that he would leave with Feanaro.

“That is good. Go, and leave, I do not know you anymore.” Mithwen said.

Ciryan was surprised by her reaction. “You want me to leave? I had thought…”

Mithwen glared at him. “You thought I would start crying and wanting you to stay with me. No, that is not who I am. Maybe we truly do not know each other. You promised not to fight when we were traveling to Aqualonde, but you broke that promise too.” Mithwen said angrily.

“I can’t keep all my promises Mithwen.” Ciryan said.

Mithwen looked at him, lifting her head high. Her eyes shone with a few angry tears.

“No, you can’t keep any promises. Go, and never expect to see me again.” Mithwen said bitterly.

Ciryan nodded his head, then he turned and walked away.
Mithwen did not weep, though she felt upset. Everything was changing and she was frightened of all this change. She hoped it would be for the better.

Then she touched the jewel on the necklace she had made with her own hands. It was all she had from home now, all she had from her long works on the jewels she had left behind.

The jewel was the lightest pink, it was placed in silver and hung on the silver chain.
The jewel was made perfectly circular and was a sight when the stars shone on it.
But in the darkness it seemed to be just a simple jewel.

------
Mithwen opened her eyes, tears rolled down her cheeks.

“I have lived long in the past and now I see that Rauron’s words were true. Why do I still wonder about Ciryan when it was the right choice to tell him to leave?” Mithwen said, determination suddenly rising in her breast.

She rose to her feet. Even if she did not feel strong enough for this, she had to try.
She had seen already so many try and then fail, but she would continue anyway, for Rilnen and Rauron. They both needed her still.

“I do not have their strength, but I must try. My heart is still heavy, but being near to my siblings will help. I have to stay strong for them.” Mithwen decided.

Then she touched the jewel again. “I’ll make jewels again someday, and maybe Aule will be proud of me again.” Mithwen whispered with a smile.
-----
After speaking with Erumelmo Rauron felt that his heart was glad. He knew his words were true and he would have to continue encouraging Mithwen, that was all he could do.

Rauron walked through the crowds of people, trying to find someone from the group of Lady Artanis.
He asked a few people that he passed if they had seen anyone and some told him that they were a little further away.

Rauron continued until he saw two people coming towards him. He recognized the maiden to be Elnaira and the neri to be Taurohtar.
Rauron approached them and bowed to Elnaira.

“My lady, I have been sent by Lord Erumelmo to ask for news of this delay.” Rauron said.
------
Rilnen had left the tent once Erumelmo entered. She knew they both needed rest, and if Elerosse needed anything Erumelmo would call on her.
She saw Mithwen and walked over. She sat beside her sister and laid her head on her shoulder.

“Ai Mithwen, I am weary, but I am glad. I think Elerosse shall be alright.” Rilnen said with a smile.

Mithwen kissed Rilnen’s head. “You are so strong Rilnen, I am proud of you.” Mithwen said in her soft, sweet voice.

Rilnen smiled. “I am glad to see you in better spirits sister.” Rilnen said.

Mithwen nodded. “I’m still afraid of what will happen in the future, but I know that I need to take care of you and Rauron.” Mithwen said. There was a twinkle in her grey eyes.

Rilnen felt happiness rising inside her. Then she saw Liantasse and excused herself.

“Liantasse, how is your hand? I tried to mend it, but do you need anymore help?” Rilnen asked. Her brown eyes showing the concern she felt for her friend.

(I'm sorry about the accents...my computer is being worked on and my dad's laptop isn't putting on the accents for some reason. I should have the computer in a week.)

[Edited on 23/7/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 08:52
Liantassë knelt on her fur cloak she had laid on the ice and proceeded to ready a small breakfast for Tulonka, herself, and Arquen...knowing neither one had eaten. Tulonka sat nearby, constructing another point for his small collection of arrows, thinking to himself when they might come in handy. He wondered when the first hunting party would be gathered, but knew their leaders would pay heed to such details when needed.

"Tulonka, come, nourish yourself before the chance leaves." Liantassë called to him. He rose, packing up his little collection and placing it all gently in his provided pack. As he knelt beside his mother he grimaced at the sight of the crisp dark leaves of seaweed. "Do not start your complaining, son, for you will be thankful later in our journey you ate so sparingly." she said noting his displeasure. He smiled to his mother. Her motherly air still had not left, that was certain. As he tore a piece, Liantassë turned over her shoulder looking around. He knew she was looking for her sister.

"Arquen sulks elsewhere." he mumbled, trying to ignore the pale taste of the seaweed in his mouth. Liantassë turned to him sharply with a frown. "Tulonka--"
"Amilessë (mother), she did not sleep at all, as the others rested and she has been caustic since the moment I awoke. Let her sulk, do not waste more of your precious energy." Tulonka interrupted, getting irritated at the constant defending of Arquens abhorrent behavior. She may be his elder, however, one who acts in such a way, slowly looses his respect.
"Tulonka, hold your tongue! You will not speak such words against your anyáro (elder)." Liantassë was getting weary of defending Arquen, however she would not stand for such behavior from her son.

"Yes, wind pours from your mouth, my sister-son." Arquen chided as she approached them, having heard their conversation from a distance. When she was now close, she knelt roughly beside Tulonka and eyed the ration before her in disgust. Refusting to endure her foul company, Tulonka said nothing and rose, mentioning a suant thank you to his mother as he left.

"Arquen, why act in such a manner. This journey is hard for us all, but your behavior is only making it more troublesome." Liantassë scolded, unable to ignore Arquen's profound attitude, also noting the small injury upon her sister's face. Arquen smirked slightly looking to her sister. "I act in such a manner, sister, for we are on this said journey, which will only end in death. Forgive me if I cannot walk in utter fugue as you and Tulonka insist upon." As the words bit, Arquen, quickly retreated her hard gaze and looked to the ice, realizing she was speaking in such a manner to the one person she cared most for. Liantassë's gaze softened as the words stung. She also turned her eyes to the ground, biting her lip.

For a moment she almost wanted to break. Liantassë's heart was already suffering and Arquen's added defeats was only weighing more heavily upon her. She had to pause in all her thoughts and the present moment to keep herself from falling apart.

"Lian..." Arquen had looked to her sister and saw the pain she was causing and all previous thoughts vanished momentarily. She wanted to embrace her sister, however her selfish pride was like a stake within her which stuck into the cold ice below, forcing her unmoving.

"Nevermind, Arquen." Liantassë managed a weak smile, despite the unstable voice and the small tear falling down her pale cheek and looked to her sister, placing her injured hand over Arquen's. Arquen frowned, filling like one who had been smashed under another's foot and stomped upon repeatedly. Unable to say anything else she forgot about the provided nourishment and got up quickly to escape the situation.

Liantassë sat, wishing she could cry, yet the shoulder she once used to cry upon lay cold in the ground at Alqualondë. She wiped the tear from her cheek and proceeded to gather up what she had laid out, not wanting the ice to grain upon it. By the time Rilnen approached her, she had gathered it all and sat, having also gathered her wits.

“Liantasse, how is your hand? I tried to mend it, but do you need anymore help?” Rilnen asked. Her brown eyes showing the concern she felt for her friend. Liantassë placed her good hand upon Rilnen's cheek and smiled. "I'm fine, it is a small cut, nothing more. You have more in your charge to concern yourself about." Rilnen nodded in reply.
"How does Mithwen fair?" Liantassë asked.
"The darkness that seemed to burden her so, seems to have slightly lifted. I think she is finally getting some strength returned to her."
"That is good to hear, Rilnen." Liantassë said truthfully. When Rilnen left, Liantassë rose from where she sat and began to check around the camp, with Tulonka, to see if anyone else was in need of a healer's help.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 02:56
Elnaira walked through the frosty air with Taurohtar moving ahead of her, making way through the elves. She kept straining her eyes to see if she could make out Erumelmo, over the sea of heads. She had passed into his side of the host a while back but there was no sign of him. Then her eyes saw a familiar face.

“Taurohtar,” she said, calling out to the broad back before her. “Taurohtar, ‘tis Rauron. Up ahead to your right.” Without seeing if Taurohtar joined her, she lifted her skirts and ran towards the elf she recognised. “Rauron,” she called, a smile on her face.

Rauron saw her and smiled in recognition. As she approached him, he bowed. “My lady, I have been sent by Lord Erumelmo to ask for news of this delay.”

Elnaira was so pleased to see someone who might know where her brothers were that she forgot decorum and reached out and hugged Rauron. She stepped back and waved at his surprised expression. “I shall let you know what Nolofinwë plans. That is the reason I have come. But first, pray tell, how do my brothers fare?”

Rauron’s smile faltered. “Prince Erumelmo is now taking his rest, milady.”

“And Elerossë? How is he?”

“Liantassë and Rilnen had to open Elerossë’s wound, they – ”

Elnaira had turned paler than the snow under her feet. “Take me to them, Rauron, I beseech thee. And tell me of what I am not aware, on the way.”

As they walked on, the lights in the sky gleamed with lighter shades of green. The elves around them were sitting with their backs to the wind. Most in clusters to barricade the wind out. The cold was present but the elves were covered in garments that had been spun in Valinor so most of the cruelty of the wind was shut away from their bodies. Moreover the creation of their bodies was one that stemmed from being a part of the world around them – be it excessive heat or extreme cold – they felt it – but to a lesser degree than it was in actuality.

Though the elves had never borne such intensity of climate before – especially for a period of time whose length was uncertain. This was just, after all, just the beginning.

A nissi came to her feet from a nearby group, just as Elnaira was about to walk past it. Brown eyes looked into eyes of the same colour. “Liantassë,” Elnaira said, recognition lighting up her face. “Well met.” She embraced Liantassë who was just getting over her surprise. “Rauron has told me what you have done for my family – for Elerossë.” She stepped back but her hands were still on Liantassë’s shoulders. “I shall not forget it.”

Liantassë nodded her head accepting the gratitude. “I did what I had to do, my lady. I am a healer – it was what I was meant to do.”

“Will Elerossë leave this ill health behind?” Elnaira asked, her brows contracting in fear of the reply.

Liantassë smiled softly. “I would say that when last I saw him Rilnen and I had managed to make him rest easier. In time, depending on how strong his hröa is – his fëa shall help him survive. And I think that his fëa is strong enough.”

That merited another embrace, and Elnaira was so moved that she prolonged the hug a bit longer. When she did step back, she saw that Liantassë’s smile was no longer a shy one but one that was more confident in its form. Elnaira looked to Rauron and Liantassë. Then at Taurohtar, and back again to Liantassë. “I had not realised that I would ever think this journey would amount to anything better than seeing Fanuiamarth again. But nay, I have found dear friends in the crossing.”

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 05:19
Rilnen nodded to Liantassë when she said she was alright. Rilnen watched her and wondered if she truly was alright. She seemed well, but Rilnen could see a sadness in her friend’s eyes.

“I hope she is alright.” Rilnen whispered.

Then Rilnen looked over at Mithwen, to see if she was alright. She saw Mithwen sitting with some other nissi. They were talking merrily.

Mithwen smiled and even laughed. Rilnen felt tears in her eyes. Mithwen looked like her old self again. She was smiling unlike she had since they came on this icy pass.

“Ai Mithwen, I am so glad to see you happy.” Rilnen whispered.
--
Rauron was quite surprised when Elnaira embraced him, but he smirked and was glad to see she was alright.
As he led her back to where her brothers were he explained what had happened the night Elerossë had to have his wound opened to remove the arrow head.

“He’s been resting since the operation. My sister Rilnen has been taking care of him.” Rauron explained.

When they came to their camping spot she saw Liantassë and embraced her also. Then Elnaira spoke.

“I had not realised that I would ever think this journey would amount to anything better than seeing Fanuiamarth again. But nay, I have found dear friends in the crossing.”

Rauron smiled genuinely at Elnaira. He was so pleased to see someone I good spirits.

“Come with me my lady, their shelter is over here.” Rauron said.

Rilnen was still standing beside the tent. She was watching Mithwen and she was waiting for them to wake so she could take care of Elerossë.
When she saw Elnaira and Rauron come over she bowed.

“They both sleep within my lady.” Rilnen said. She smiled slighty when she saw Elnaira.

She opened the flap of the tent so Elnaira could go in then she closed it to keep the warmth in.
Rilnen walked over to Rauron and hugged him. She looked over at Mithwen and smiled.

“Ai Rauron, I have never seen over sister so happy since we left Valinor.” Rilnen whispered. Then she released him from the embrace.

Rauron smiled back. “I knew she still had the strength in her.” Rauron said as he put his arm around her shoulders.

Rilnen smiled back and laid her head on his shoulder. “I hope she will remain happy.” Rilnen whispered.

Rauron shrugged. “I can’t see the future. But as long as she has strength now she will be well, I think. And of course we are here to encourage her when she needs it. We can replenish her strength and hope.” Rauron said.

Rilnen knew this was true. Then she walked back to the shelter and opened the flap.

“My lady, do you need me to help with anything? Elerossë is in my care, if he needs anything please call on me.” Rilnen said. Then she looked at Elerossë’s face and smiled slightly, her eyes shining with happiness.

“I am so glad he is well.” She whispered. Then she backed out of the shelter and allowed them to be alone again.

Rauron smirked, he was sitting nearby watching his sister. He knew how she felt about Elerossë, he could see the looks on her face every time she looked at him. Her eyes seemed to light up. She couldn’t help but smile.

“She has such a sweet spirit, my little dear.” He said with a smile.

Rilnen sat beside the tent, just looking around her and smiling. She pulled her cloak closer around her and closed her eyes. Snow sprinkled her dark hair and face.

Then Rauron chuckled quietly. “Between Elerossë’s smile and Rilnen’s joy those two are probably the happiest elves on this whole journey.” Rauron said. He shook his head slightly. Then he laid back, he was weary and had not rested for a long while.

Soon he found himself asleep, wrapped up in his cloak.
--
Mithwen had been speaking with her friends. One maiden named Ilwerossë had a daughter named Herentári. She was young, for elves, but she had a smile on her face that just stayed there. And her laugh was so light and sweet.
The maiden was 50 years of age.

Mithwen enjoyed being with Ilwerossë and her daughter. Herentári lifted her spirits..
Then Mithwen looked over and saw Rauron laying down sleeping. Mithwen excused herself and walked over to Rauron.

He had only his cloak covering him. Mithwen took her cloak off and covered Rauron with it. She pulled her furs tighter around herself.

“I finally feel like an older sister.” Mithwen said. She knelt beside Rauron and brushed back his brown hair. It was exactly the same color as hers.

“Rest well little brother.” She whispered. Then she bent over and kissed his forehead.

She rose to her feet and looked at Rilnen. She was sitting by the tent, waiting to do whatever was needed.
Mithwen smiled and then walked back over to the other maidens and began speaking with them again.

[Edited on 25/7/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]

TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2007 11:25
((ooc: Sorry my post is so short and so long overdue, but I have been busy and still have not much time to write.))

Taurohtar looked at the elves that were nearby, those he could call friends and comrades. "Oh aye, you have found dear friends, but I have found something more. Before I left, my family had forsaken me and cast me from them. Even if i had returned, I would have still been an outcast, but now I have found dear friends that are now as my family.'

He looked toward Liantasse and said "If the cold is affecting Erumelmo's brother in a bad way, have him drink some of this, it is a liquor that warms the body against the cold." he then tossed a small, red leather water skin to the healer and continued, "It is potent, do not give him much. A sip will suffice."

Taurohtar then looked at Elnaira and quietly whispered, "Do not forget to bring your brother the news of the meeting, he will be needed there as will you, I think."

Taurohtar then clasped hands with the other neri around and talked to them quietly about different things, but mainly, he talked about how they would conquer the tasks before them.

[Edited on 27/10/2007 by TurinTurimbar]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2007 01:24
(OOC: It has been a long time since I posted in here. Wanted to break this period of inactivity, so I am putting in the first draft of what I have come up with.)

IC:

Elnaira smiled at Rilnen briefly; for impatience had overtaken her calm and she needed to see how her brother fared. She stepped into the slight, make-shift tent that had been built, laden with fur. Her eyes adjusted at once to the darker interior and she saw Elerossë’s still, pale face, then they moved to the other side of him and caught Erumelmo’s dark gaze. Instantly, her calm was restored. It was not merely the fact that his eyes held no fretfulness, but she knew that Erumelmo was blessed by the Valar: in that he had this uncanny gift of easing people’s worry by a mere look.

She knelt, opposite him, on the other side of Elerossë. Softly, she leant over and kissed Elerossë on the forehead, then laid her cheek against his slightly hotter forehead.

“He fares better than before,” Erumelmo whispered.

Elnaira opened her eyes and sat up straight. Lifting her right hand, she caressed the cheek of the brother sitting opposite her. “And you, Rumel? How do you fare?”

“The same as you, sister.” He managed an honest smile.

She returned it. “Come,” she said, “I need to speak with you.”

Once they were outside, they both cast a glance at the skies overhead. They still shimmered with a pale translucent green light, tinged at the boundary with pink and magenta. “They are the Northern Lights,” Erumelmo said. “Aulë once told me that after Illuin and Ormal were destroyed...most of the light turned to darkness; but some of it – escaped to the Northern reaches. Here it dwells lighting up a part of the dark that failed to swallow it.”

Elnaira turned back to her brother and hugged him. He enveloped her in his arms and kissed her hair. Elnaira looked up at him, resting her chin on his chest. “Artanis and you were always his favoured ones. He never looked up from his work whenever I came to visit you.”

“You always maintained he frightened you.”

Elnaira’s smile deepened. “A trifle.” She admitted. Then her smile faded away. “Rumel, a Council is called for. Nolofinwë has called for it. It shall be the Council on Ice and it shall be held a few hours from hence, near that large monolith of ice that you see just the tip of to the North-West. Nolofinwë and Findarato come from the fore, Artanis shall stand with us while Findekáno and Turukáno will be there representing the latter part of the host.”

“Someone shall have to wait upon Elerossë.”

“I shall wait with him. I am not needed there as much as you are, Rumel. You go,” Elnaira said, pulling away, turning to look at the tent.

“Aye,” Erumelmo nodded. “Methinks that would be wise.”

“My lord.” They turned to the voice and Erumelmo saw that it was Túrë Ornélion, the Elf who served Turukáno. “My…lady.” Túrë looked upon Elnaira and stared. Her eyes seemed to mesmerise him. Elnaira bit back a smile and lowered them.

Erumelmo had no such compunctions; he grinned. “This is my sister, Túrë. And this, sister, is Túrë Ornélion, King Olwë’s grandson.”

Túrë had recovered his poise but the tips of his ears were surreptitiously pink. “Well met, milady.”

“Well met,” Elnaira murmured.

“What brings you here, haryon?” Erumelmo asked, his eyes still glinting.

“Lord Findékano wished to ask after your brother, milord. I come with him from the latter host.”

“Turukáno does not accompany him?”

“Nay, milord,” Túrë continued, his crystal clear eyes not wavering from Erumelmo’s. “My Lord Turukáno’s wife, Elenwë, has hurt her foot in the passage.”

“Elenwë’s hurt?” Elnaira gasped.

“Naught to be overly concerned with – my – milady.” Túrë’s eyes snapped back to Erumelmo. “It is a flesh wound, but it will mend well under proper care. Her daughter and her husband won’t leave her side though.”

“Understandable.” Erumelmo grunted and exchanged a look with his sister. “Túrë, Elerossë needs to be watched over – he has just undergone through a treatment that involves after care. Would you be kind enough to let Artanis and Findekáno know that Elnaira shall stay back while I come alone to the Council?”

“Aye, milord, that I can surely do. Would you be needing anything else?”

“Nay. I shall see you in a short while then.”

“Milord.” Túrë turned to Elnaira. His eyes flashed. He was completely in control of his poise now and the intensity of his stare pierced Elnaira’s consciousness. Her heart skipped a beat. “Milady.”

She could only nod her farewell.

Erumelmo watched the by-play and smiled again.

(haryon = prince, heir)
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 03:08
It was utterly dark in Helcaraxë---not even the presence of the stars could change that.

Eärlindë could remember a time when the light of the Trees remained unspoiled; when she had spent long hours walking in the tall grass with a song in her heart and her love by her side. But now...

The slender nissi emitted a sigh and watched her vaporous breath drift away in the frigid air. Her heart was laden with grief---a grief so great, so heavy, that she hardly knew what to do with it. But she did not weep---no, all her tears had been spent at Alqualondë. She could not afford to show the slightest sign of weakness now, when every bit of courage was needed for the life-threatening journey ahead.

Seeking release from her distraught state of mind, Eärlindë lifted her face heavenwards to behold a shining myriad of stars. As a young girl, she had often looked to the stars for encouragement and inspiration, and was ever enraptured by their flawless beauty. Now, though the world had plunged into a perpetual darkness, those same stars shone down at her as if to offer a twinkling of hope.

Hope, thought Eärlindë bitterly,What hope can now be derived? We are an accursed people, and shall remain accursed until the Valar see fit to give us mercy. If that ever came to pass, which was nigh impossible--considering the unforgivable deeds the Noldor had committed in Valinor.

Her gaze wandered across the frozen land, taking in the vast number of her kind who had chosen---or, like she, had had no other choice---to make the great and perilous journey across Helcaraxë. Looking upon the pale faces of those surrounding, it was clear that everyone was asking themselves the same question: What will become of us?

Some held themselves high, trying to maintain a courageous air, while others wept bitterly at their predicament. But the one expression that could be found in the face of every elf present was that of doubt. It clouded their eyes and attempted to drive fear into the hearts of even the most composed among them. And---as much as she fought to control it---doubt was now gnawing away at Eärlindë’s mind, as well.

How can Nolofinwë even hope to lead such a multitude into Middle-Earth without suffering great loss?

Deep down, she knew the answer. Of course their leader was aware that there were tremendous risks involved in crossing the Grinding Ice, but what other course was there to take? To remain on the shores of Helcaraxë would be suicide; whereas by crossing the bridge of ice they at least had a chance---meager though it was.

“Eärlindë?”

The voice came from behind, but Eärlindë did not have to turn to establish it with her husband. He emerged from the crowd of surrounding elves to stop by her side, lightly crunching snow in his wake.

“Aiya.” Ondotano’s voice was deep and smooth as honey. “Have you seen the stars? They are exceptionally beautiful tonight.”

“I saw them.” came Eärlindë’s cool reply. “Where have you been all this time?”

Ondotano ran a hand through his long auburn hair---unlike Eärlindë, he wore no hood. “I was conversing with the family who marched behind us yesterday---they told me that the leaders of the three hosts are holding a council.”

“Do you think we will have to go back?”

Her husband shook his head gravely. “You know as well as I that that course was abandoned long ago. Methinks the leaders wish to decide upon certain measures before proceeding with the journey.”

“I see.” As much as Eärlindë resented being in their painfully bleak situation, she felt relieved that the weight of decision-making was not on her shoulders, but on the shoulders of elves who could handle it with wisdom.

A pregnant moment of silence ensued, which Ondotano quickly broke.

“I believe Nolofinwë will lead us safely into Middle-Earth,” he said, his voice swelling with assurance. “If anyone possesses the leadership and wisdom to guide such a host, it is he.”

“I do not doubt his abilities, but it would take one of the Valar to cross Helcaraxë unscathed."

Ondotano did not reply.

Translations
Aiya = Greetings

[Edited on 3/22/2008 by Maralyn_Imladiel]
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2007 01:11
(OOC: My very first post. Thanks so much, Rumel, for helping out with the Research and my grammar )

IC:

She was Silmë of the Vanyar. Descended from one of the Kindred who reached Valinor first. One of those who lived in light.

She opened her eyes and saw the host before her. Lit by the glow shining down from the stars. Her green eyes glinted with a flash as anger shot through her body. For this they had forsaken Taniquetil. For this they had rejected the Valar. For this they had murdered kin! For this they had travelled so far over the barren wastes of Araman, scraping along the rocky coasts for whatever food they could gather for months on end. Only to be betrayed by the one who had incited so many to follow!

For this? She lifted her chin a notch and gazed about her with fire in her eyes that no amount of cold could smother. For this dark that consumed everything. For these winds that knew no mercy. For this misery that surrounded a barren landscape filled with treachery and nothing but.

For this?

She gathered her robe closer to her. Her knuckles turned white under the pressure of her grip. As her green eyes turned toward the far off land to the south east, where not long ago the betrayal of Fëanáro manifested in the smoke rising from the burning swan ships, they misted over with a gamut of emotions. She felt confusion, pain, hate – and love. Most of the latter showed in her eyes clearly.

Aye, for love, too. Silmë thought. In her heart of hearts, she knew that he was given no choice. For that had to be the reason why he would sail away in those ships, leaving her alone. Not just her! But leaving his family alone! She knew how much he loved them. She knew how it must have come to pass.

They were both of the same kind: Fanuiamarth and she. Hot-headed, unpredictable, opinionated, vibrant, incredibly loyal and unerringly staunch in their beliefs. But so much had changed. Though Silmë could not knowingly tell about any alteration in Fanuiamarth’s convictions, many of her own had been truly shaken – some even shattered.

Fëanáro had taken Fanui and her under his tutelage for the space of a few years, when history was soon altered. Elenwë, her older sister, wed Turukáno of the Noldor. Silmë had resented her sister’s actions – for she had heard the whispers of Melkor’s machinations when he would render them unto Fëanáro. But mostly because Fëanáro then disdained to teach Silmë, since she happened to be related to Nolofinwë and she was no longer welcome at Formenos. But by then, she had already met, spent abundant time with and fallen utterly in love with Fanuiamarth.

It was not just that he was amongst the most comely among all the neri who had courted her, but he was also the most like her in temperament and thought. They were going to unveil this love, with great delight, on the day Manwë called for the festival in Valimar. Fëanáro and Nolofinwë would set aside their differences and the former would take Silmë back as his apprentice.

But that was not to happen. Melkor brought murder upon Formenos and Ezellohar and stole away what was most precious to Fëanáro!

Silmë’s eyes clouded over with bright tears. She remembered those darkened days often. Her dreams had faded with the light of Telperion and Laurelin. Fanuiamarth followed his master. He had to. She had no say in the matter. Not that she would have said otherwise. She hated the Valar who had caused this turmoil – and more than anything she wanted him to be thwarted – every fibre of her being rang with hatred as she thought of the Black Foe of the World. He had usurped so much and devastated so greatly that there was nothing left to call him kin of the other Valar she knew and loved.

When Mandos’ words reverberated in the air, she had sought out Fanuiamarth, in fear. That was the last time they met. She had held onto him and they had kissed. Silmë touched her lips with her cold fingers. A tear dropped and was whisked away from her cheek by the wind. They had never disclosed their love to any one else – and right then, Silmë felt terribly alone. Hundreds of elves surrounded her – but she felt isolated in the frigid air, exposed and wounded.

As a thought came to her, she stood straighter. She turned to look towards the Mid-group of the Elven host. Fanuiamarth’s family was there. She kept listening on to the conversations between Findekáno and Turukáno and whenever she would hear talk of the House of Aleaningwë, she would surreptitiously hang onto every word that was spoken. She knew that Erumelmo, Elnaira and Elerossë had followed Fanuiamarth out of the love they bore him. She also learnt that Elerossë’s wounds had never quite healed and he was in constant danger. But being untouched by sickness or the miseries of an unknown world, Silmë felt that he would recover. She blinked then narrowed her eyes – an immense desire to be with them surged itself from her heart. These were people who could understand and relate to what she felt – was feeling. They could talk to her about Fanuiamarth. His presence could be felt in spirit through feeling and words!

She turned and walked back towards the small group of nissi who surrounded her sister. Elenwë had been restringing her bow when the ice beneath her feet shifted slightly. The strained cord had snapped out of her hand, lashing back on her right foot. The force of the stroke had been so severe that it tore through the hem of her gown and cut through the skin around her ankle. Within the day, it swelled to twice its size, but the healer, Maitë, had assured Turukáno and Silmë that this was usual. She had to stitch the cut and so the swelling would heal within a short time. Turukáno stayed close despite Maitë’s assurances.

Silmë stood near the group and Elenwë, fair haired, with bright blue eyes, looked up and shielded her eyes against the wind with her hand. She was about to speak, but seeing Silmë’s expression she halted her words.

“Sister,” Silmë said, “I have to tell you something.”

“I see,” Elenwë said. Her brow slightly furrowed, looking down at the frigid ground; she blinked against the wind. “I know of Fanuiamarth – through Erumelmo, his brother and Findekáno. They are dear friends. But the little I have heard of Fanuiamarth is not of the agreeable nature. He is not like his brothers or sister.”

Silmë’s eyes flashed bright green, and Elenwë could see the brilliance despite the murky dark. “He is the grandson of Ingwion, the son of Ingwë himself. He is just as noble as his siblings!”

“I do not question that, Silmë,” Elenwë gave an inward sigh. “He has chosen his path and is now with Fëanáro. For good or ill, this journey has been forced upon us by their actions.”

“Not the actions of Fanui!”

“You cannot be sure of that.” Silmë burst out and came to her feet in a sweeping move.

“Neither can you.” Elenwë retorted sharply. Then she sighed aloud. “It matters not now. We can only cope with the concern at hand – which would be crossing this frozen realm. I know the path emotions would take.” Elenwë gave a backward glance at Turukáno who stood a distance away helping some Elves build a small fire. “And I know love when I see it. I see it in you now, so I shall not hinder you. Go and ease your mind. Be with his family. Findekáno has already left – so you need go with someone. Not alone.”

“Eärlindë can accompany me.”

“And Ondotano.” Elenwë added.

“If he is of similar mind.”

Elenwë smiled. “Ondotano will follow if Eärlindë comes. So deep in love, yet you do not understand the ways of it.”

“I have hardly had time to learn.” Silmë scoffed. Her cheeks flushing.

“Go and ask Eärlindë then."

Silmë smiled and hurriedly walked away. Elenwë grew thoughtful. After a long time, had she seen her sister smile so. Her brow furrowed as a prickling sensation, that had nothing to do with the wind, ran over her. Her heart beat quicker and she looked up to call back Silmë. But her sister had disappeared into the throng.

[Edited on 25/11/2007 by Isillindë]

[Edited on 25/11/2007 by Isillindë]

[Edited on 29/11/2007 by Isillindë]
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2007 01:52
As Taurohtar stood guard in front of Elerosse's tent, he had time to think. He hated it when he had time to think. This was for many reasons, the most prominent of which was that every time he thought, his mind drifted back to his childhood and family.

[/i]"Father, I don't want to be a smith, I want to be a hunter like Orome or something besides a smith!"[i] a young Taurohtar shouted above the noise of the furnace.

[/i]"I don't care what you want to be, your appointed path is to be a smith, now attend to your work!"[i] came his father's voice.

This was a commonly reoccuring scene from his childhood. Fortunately, weapons were soon introduced to the Elves and his father allowed him to become a weaponmaster and test all of the weapons that his father made. He also helped his father design and create various types of armor, which most smiths had never thought of, that could stop weapons and protect the warrior.

This was not the only memory he could not rid himself of. His mother's face when he told her that he was leaving with Nolofinwe to Middle-Earth constantly haunted him. That look of resigned fear and sadness had almost torn him in two before he left. None of the rest of his family had left with him because they all thought Fëanáro rash. And for leaving, they thrust him from the family to make do as well as he could.

Fortunately, a noise from inside the tent distrubed his thought and he entered the ten.

"What is wrong my lord?" he asked Elerosse who look very pale and cold.

"I am so cold." was all he could utter as he shivered under the numerous furs and overcoats piled on top of him.

"Here, drink some of this." Taurohtar said as he stooped down and gave Elerosse a sip from his leather flask. As Elerosse gulped the sip down, he ceased shivering and fell back asleep. "Blasted cold, thank the Valar for this draught my mother taught me to make." Taurohtar muttered under his breath as he took a sip and went back outside to stand watch, memories from his past floating up to pain his heart.

[Edited on 26/11/2007 by TurinTurimbar]

[Edited on 29/11/2007 by TurinTurimbar]
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 01:35
Elnaira pulled up her hood against the wind and tucked the straying hair behind her ears. A feeling of dread swept over her like freezing water. She stopped, her eyes flaring. She excused herself from the family of Elves she was standing with and moved to the edge of the ice which descended into the sea, about forty feet below. The surf raged against the defending stones and blocks of ice loosened from further north broke into smaller pieces with each blow.

Elnaira’s cloak whipped about her legs and then furled out behind her shoulders like wings of gold. Her hood loosened and fell back and she made no attempt to rectify its position. The cold wind buffeted her body but she stood her ground as her eyes reached out towards the east. There was a red glow to the lands there; but worse, was a billowing dark, darker than anything she had ever seen, spiralling into the distant sky.

Thangorodrim! There was always smoke belching out into the sky there and the Elves avoided looking in the direction. They knew they would be seeing it soon enough. Those three mountains of regurgitated ore! The fetid debris ejected from the delving of Angband piled on to create the three largest mountains in Middle-earth! What tales were told of those three! And of the Black Aratar who now lodged there!

The wave of dread descended upon Elnaira once more and she swallowed several times – trying to displace the lump that developed in her throat. She looked up into the sky directly above her. The Northern Lights had dissolved into the darkness for the time being. There were countless stars there now. Shining down upon her and the host and the land and the sea. Just large and small splinters of light removed from the Trees and placed high above.

The third cascade of torment tore through her head and a sob tore its way out of her throat. The wind had its way and pushed her back several paces. She lost her balance and was about to fall when strong arms steadied her. She whipped around, her eyes filled with large tears – almost as bright as the stars above – and saw Taurohtar.

“Taurohtar,” she gasped. “Something is wrong.” Her hair rose about her face and strands stuck to the tears on her cheeks. “Fanui – he – there is a – I think –”

“My lady?” Taurohtar said in confusion.

Elnaira wildly cast her glance up at the stars, shining down benignly. “Something is wrong. I feel it in the air. Something has happened.” She tore out of his arms. “I must see to Elerossë!” She exclaimed and dashed towards the small lean-to where her brother lay.

Findekáno was worried. Erumelmo noticed that the moment he cast his glance on his friend’s visage. He did not doubt the worry but neither did he ask the reason for it. For he felt it too – but could not ascertain why. Findekáno was speaking to Irissë, the White Lady, his younger sister. Erumelmo deduced that her presence here would mean that she had come to take the place of her brother Turukáno in the Council.

Erumelmo looked about him. The place they had chosen to hold the Council was a random smattering of rocks that had formed into a semicircle with its back towards the open sea. The large outcropping of rock that stood nearly fifty feet high provided a buffer against the sharp, constant wind. Furs were laid out arbitrarily for those who had arrived. Only right against the face of the towering rock, in the centre, was a flat slab of stone covered with a white cloth. Nolofinwë would be seated there.

Findaráto and Túrë stopped to exchange salutations. But did not wait long. Erumelmo felt that Túrë wished to speak about Elnaira, but did not press further than the polite inquiry about her well-being. Findaráto was quieter than usual and in a few moments, they left to seat themselves on the left side of the main seat that was reserved for Nolofinwë.

Findekáno finished speaking to his sister. He strode forward and embraced Erumelmo tightly. “You are well?”

“As well as can be,” Erumelmo replied. He saw Irissë’s smile turned to him; she nodded and he nodded smilingly in return. She turned to speak to Aikanáro who also raised his hand in greeting to Erumelmo.

“There is a rankness in the air,” Findekáno said pointedly, keeping an arm around Erumelmo’s shoulders, leading him to a seat.

“Something happens in Middle-earth. The host that sailed must have made its first camp.”

“They have been gone seven days. Aye,” Findekáno said, more to himself, surmising. “It has been seven days since Fëanáro left us and we have walked these fifty miles to reach the borders of this Realm of Ice and Stone.”

“Ample time, it is, for one with Fëanáro’s need for alacrity. If I am right, they must have reached Lake Mithrim.”

“You are right, Rumel. That was his proposal all along. But then we were not privy to all of them. But something has happened, Rumel. I feel it.”

“I do as well.”

“Nelyafinwë is on my mind.”

Erumelmo’s eyes flashed. “I have other things on my mind.” He turned away and with a small bow of his head affirmed the presence of Artanis. She walked into the Stone Arc, her robes flapping in the wind, the moment she stepped into the confines of the Arc, the movements of her clothing decreased.

Findekáno smiled. “You always were jealous of him, Rumel.”

Erumelmo looked back at his friend. “Aye, it may be so.”

“Because of his comeliness? It cannot be – you are fairer.” Findekáno teased, with a twinkle in his blue eyes. “Or is it because of his height.” He added, tongue-in-cheek.

Erumelmo smiled in return. “You alone, from all here, know why.” He said softly. Then, he turned his gaze to the ground. “The times which we three spent in Tirion together are like an Age away. The memory and worry that occupy my mind now are those of Fanuiamarth. Fin, I feel – something is amiss.”

Findekáno’s expression turned grim. “I am sorry, Rumel. I cannot presume to know how it must be for you now.”

“Nolomelmo.”

Erumelmo looked up to see Artanis treading close by. Both the High Elves stood to greet the Noldo. “Well met, Artanis.”

“Nay, Rumel. I wish I could say the same. These days are dark and Light has forsaken us – for the time being. If you feel what I do, I cannot say well met, my friend.” The wind played havoc with her silver-gold hair and she let it. Instead she just pulled up her hood. Her eyes were shadowed but they yet gleamed blue. “Conflict is rife beyond these realms of ice. Darkness has raised its head in Middle-earth, and bereavement reaches out to me.”

Findekáno brow wrinkled into a frown.

Erumelmo’s eyes flickered and he swallowed. He allowed his expression to crumble, for his heart grew terribly heavy at Artanis’ words. “What do you sense, Artanis?”

Artanis gazed into his eyes. She lifted her right hand and cupped Erumelmo’s chin. Her thumb grazed the corner of his lips. “Loss.” She whispered.

Fanuiamarth!

Erumelmo’s nostrils flared. Tears sprang into his eyes and he turned his face. He felt Findekáno’s hands grip his shoulders. He missed the angry glance Findekáno directed at Artanis, but he heard the words of his friends clearly. “She but senses this, Rumel. Come! Do not grieve heedlessly. You do not know for certain. She does not speak of Fanui. She has felt death and war in the air, she does not know who has met with what fate.”

“Does she not?” Rumel whispered. His shoulders were hunched over and his head was low.

“Rumel –” Artanis began.

Findekáno raised his hand upward, silencing her words. He sat close to Erumelmo and put his arm around the younger elf’s shoulders. Bending his head close to Erumelmo’s face, he whispered, “Whatever doom it was that led us out of Valinor, we have stepped on to a path that has nothing to offer behind. There is no other choice but to move ahead, Rumel. Believe what you must, though I would have it otherwise; but you must not give in to despair. Know that there are still those who need you here. And I count myself among those who do.”

Artanis raised her hand again, hesitated for a moment, almost pulled back, but did not. She placed it on Erumelmo’s head. Then she leaned forward and kissed his dark hair.

The sounding of horns nearby broke the still of the dark. Voices were singing. “Father arrives,” Findekáno said softly.

Erumelmo could only look at the bare rocks under his feet, ice creeping out from within the ridges, like white blood from black stone.

[Edited on 29/11/2007 by Erumelmo]
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 01:46
Silmë had just moved a few yards away when her brother by marriage called out to her. She stopped and turned. A gust of cold wind blew her cloak open and she struggled to control its flapping. When she looked up, dishevelled, Turukáno was standing before her. She had to raise her head higher. He was exceptionally tall and therefore considerably taller than her.

As always the first thing she thought when she looked upon him was how regal his bearing was. His dark hair, darker than midnight, wove labyrinths of ambiguity against the clarity of his sea-green eyes. It was said that Ulmo was particularly fond of Turukáno, because his eyes reminded him of the deep seas. Like Irissë, Turukáno would most often be seeing wearing white, but now his robes were dull with dirt, but his skin still glowed fair.

“Where are you going?” He said, the sound of his voice was not hampered by the wind.

Silmë had to increase hers though. “I need to speak with Erumelmo Oropherion and his family.”

Turukáno raised his eyebrows. “Indeed. I did not realise that you knew him.”

“I know his brother, Fanuiamarth. I need to –”

“The one who sailed with the Betrayer?” Turukáno’s voice rumbled. His eyes had turned stormy and now Silmë could not make out the colour.

“Fanuiamarth did not –”

“Cease!” Turukáno thundered. “I do not wish to hear mention of those who sailed, leaving us behind, in this inhospitable, windswept torment!”

Silmë’s expression grew mutinous. But she knew better than to answer back with a retort.

“Ah!” Turukáno said, his expression softening. “I did not mean to lash out at you. I know how much you admired that – Fëanáro.” He amended the end to the sentence. He watched the Elves, some who huddled in groups, some who tried to light fires, some who still gazed back towards the West. “I never wanted to leave. Perhaps this is what I was wary of…this perfidy! But, nay, there is this feeling still – of impending calamity! And I cannot be rid of it!” He turned his gaze to Silmë. “I mean to protect the ones I love from it. You will stay with your sister. She needs you now. Irissë has gone to the Council in my stead. Who shall take care of Itarillë?”

“My lord,” Silmë began, “Elenwë has given me leave.”

“Silmë,” Turukáno began, his brow furrowing.

“My lord,” Silmë cut in, her voice desperate; her look earnest. “She knows how important this is for me to see through. I must meet with the Aleaningwë family!”

Turukáno narrowed his eyes at her. Searching for a moment, then recognising the need – it was legitimate and convincing. He stood straighter, imposing in his height. “Very well. I give you a day. But I shall send – ”

“My lord,” Silmë cut in once again, and, this time, Turukáno cocked a disbelieving eyebrow. She flushed. “I – I already have someone who shall go with me: Eärlindë and Ondotano.”

“I should have known.” The Elf-lord scoffed. “So be it.” He looked up at the stars and then down at the churning sea. “The tide is in. The stars shall pull the sea back soon. But when the tide returns, so shall you.”

“Aye.” Silmë said. She smiled and went off through the crowd at a run.

She found Ondotano first. He was trading with another neri. She kept a respectful distance and when the bargaining was done, she stepped up. “Ondotano!” She called. When he smiled at her, she smiled back and asked where Eärlindë was. “I need to speak to the both of you. I need to ask for your aid and Eärlindë’s. Will you give it?”
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2007 12:20
(OOC: Just a marker for me. To remember this post. I have a written a note about it in the OOC thread.)

Elnaira ran as fast as she could through the crowd. Some who knew her stared as she brushed past. Some who were seated stood up in alarm. Elnaira ran towards the lean-to where Elerossë was. She hardly noticed that Taurohtar was running after her. When she slipped once and nearly tumbled and he saved her from a fall again, did she realise his presence.

The ice, somewhere far, cracked and splintered. The rumble was loud enough for the elves around to raise a murmur. Then the reverberation reached the land they stood upon. It shuddered.

Elnaira tore back the hair that fell before her flushed face as she reached the lean-to. Whipping the furs behind, she stepped into the small area. It was cold inside. She fell to her knees and felt Elerossë’s forehead. It was cold. Her hand shrank back. His lips were turning blue.

“R – Ros?” She choked out between short breaths. “Can you hear me, brother?”

Elerossë’s eyes moved behind the eyelids and then the lids flickered open softly. “”Elle?” He whispered.

“Aye, ‘tis me, I am here.” She removed the robe from her shoulders and put it over him. Then she lay down next to him, covering him as much as she could – passing on her body warmth. “Speak to me, Elerossë. What –what – what is happening?” She looked behind at Taurohtar, her eyes, haunted. “F – find Rilnen. Or Liantassë. I don’t know how to – to – Ohtar, I need help.”

Taurohtar’s expression could not be read – or maybe she did not want to read it. He nodded, but before he turned to go, he removed his own cloak and covered Elnaira and Elerossë with it.

“Elle?” His voice was no more than a whisper and the wind outside threatened to drown it out completely.

Elnaira was petrified. For the first time in her life, she felt helpless. Her eyes were wide as she looked at her brother’s face. She gritted her teeth as tears rushed to cloud her vision. She blinked them back furiously. “Aye, I am here.” She said solidly. “Rossë, do not fret. Liantassë shall return and she shall put you to rights.”

A corner of Elerossë’s lips twitched. “Talk to me, sister.”

“Talk – of –” She raised her right hand that was holding his arm, with it, she caressed his brow. Her finger tips lingered on the small scar atop his right brow. He did not open his eyes. “Remember the time when we had that race to see who could reach the top of Grandfather’s tower first, in Tirion? Fanuiamarth said he could beat you. You always were the fastest amongst all of us then – and you still are. And we all knew that you would reach Grandfather first, but then you fell on the stairs, and he won. You fell on purpose, did you not? You let him win.”

“I let him win.” Elerossë smiled, his eyes still shut.

“Elerossë, the gentle. That is what I shall call you from now on.” Elnaira whispered, the tears flowing freely now. She looked back towards the opening of the makeshift tent. Where were the healers?

Elerossë tried to chuckle but gagged. He coughed and Elnaira’s eyes flared as she saw drops of blood splatter his chin. Her hand flew to her mouth. “Ge – gentle?” He raised his left eyebrow. His eyes remained shut.

“Blood.” Her gaze was mesmerized by the dark spots on his chin.

“Blood?” He whispered.

Elnaira blinked rapidly. She looked back at the opening. Waiting for help. “Aye. Blood. Remember? You had hurt yourself on purpose. The rail cut your brow. That was the first time any of us had seen blood. And we were all so scared when you showed us. Remember?”

“I do. G – Grandfather told us about death then.”

“He should not have! We were too young to know of it.” Elnaira retorted. Waves of fear rushed over her. She tried to raise the dressing of the wound, to take a look at it.

Elerossë held her hand and pressed it near his heart. “But we understood.” He opened his eyes and he looked at her. “’Tis time, Elle.”

Elnaira looked shocked. Then her expression collapsed and her chin trembled. “You not know of what you speak! It is just a – ”

“I can feel Nienna crying for me, Elle. Mandos calls.”

Nay!” Elaira exclaimed loudly. “Do not listen to them! Listen to me, Elerossë. You cannot leave us here! We have to go and get Fanui. We shall return to Valinor together.”

Elerossë smiled. His beautiful brown eyes appeared dark, sunken amid two darker hollows. “Tell Rumel, I regret not being with – with him.” He coughed again. His breathing sharpened. “I – I return earlier. I shall …wait.”

Elnaira sat up abruptly. Her eyes blazed. “Nay!” She came to her feet and rushed out. “Is there any healer here?” She screamed at the top of her voice. “Any healer? Please! We need your help! Taurohtar! Liantassë! Rilnen!” Her voice cracked on her last scream – it finally gave into the sobs that convulsed in her breast.

Some elves ran to her. They looked inside at Elerossë. Two of them ran off to find a healer whom they knew. The nessi who had stepped in to check on Elerossë now wore a haunted look on her face. “Milady, Rilnen and Liantassë have not been seen in days. We – we do not know what – he – I thought he was doing better. I did not –” She stopped abruptly. Standing quickly, she moved out and waited behind Elnaira.

Elnaira stepped inside the lean-to. Her brother’s eyes were shut. His breath seemed even. Seemed. But she knew.

She dropped to her knees beside him. Tears streamed onto her cheeks, wetting the collar of her gown. She did not notice the cold wind biting into her back. She pressed both her hands against her face. She sat there for a moment or two. Then she wiped her face clean of tears. Slowly, she took her right hand and held it before Elerossë’s nose.

She sobbed. Then held herself. Then sobbed again. She took a deep breath and lay down beside her brother. Putting her head upon his shoulder, she pressed her forehead into the curve of his neck. Her arm curved around his still chest and she pulled him close. “I shall find you, Rossë.” Her tears dropped down her nose. “Even if Námo bars the way! I shall find you.” She kissed his tunic, then straightened out the wrinkles over it. “For now, my brother, be at peace.”
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 01:24
Taurohtar knew the pain that Elnaira felt, one of his cousins that was closer than a brother to him had been killed in a freak mining accident in Valinor despite Taurohtar's efforts to save him. He knew that it was painful to lose a loved one, but he also knew that it was key to move on and that Erumelmo sould be told, but not until after the Council had ajourned, his grief should not cloud his mind during the Council.

Taurohtar went outside and quietly told the two healers that knew Elerosse was dead not to tell anybody because Taurohtar himself would tell Erumelmo and if the news got out, it would undoubtedly reach him. He then went back inside the tent and laid a large, calloused hand on Elnaira's shoulder.

"If Lord Mandos has taken him, it is for a reason." he began with pain and understanding in his eyes, "All we can do is wait to be reunited with them. So, do not grieve overmuch, I do not think Elerosse would have you do so. Rather, I would think he would have you continue living and be happy for him because the burdens of this world have been lifted from him.
Now, I go to the Council to await its end and bring the news to Erumelmo.
If you wish, you may come with me, if not, I will have someone nearby if you should need help."

He then left the tent and, after telling the healers to stay by Elnaira if she stayed by Elerosse, stalked off to where the Council was taking place. Once there, he found a place out of the wind to sit down and waited on the Council to be over.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 10:15
Irissë picked her way gracefully but carefully over the uneven ice into the area sheltered by the gray boulders and into the midst of those who had already arrived for the Council meeting. Wearing a cloak she had stitched together from the hide of one of the strange white bears that seemed to inhabit this wasteland, she was still chilled from the wind that had blown across the ice as she had strode across it to this barren place. And she was still shaking from when the already unstable ground rumbled momentarily under her white booted feet. These periodic rumbles were not uncommon but disturbing nonetheless. Still, the wind here was blocked by the outcropping behind the semi-circular open ground and she surveyed the area, her gray-green eyes narrowed.

She was here to represent the host led by her older brother, Turukáno, who had remained behind when Elenwë's foot had received injury from the string of her bow...and she was less than pleased. She was miffed that she was chosen as almost an afterthought, unlike Artanis, who would have been the first chosen to represent her host. Furthermore, she wondered exactly 'why' they were here. What could they possibly change about what was to come. The ice was ice, and it wasn't going anywhere. Dropping her hood, she tossed her long black hair over her slender shoulder, wondering where she was supposed to sit.

Findaráto and Aikanáro were already there, and whether they or someone else had attended to it, there were smaller boulders arranged in a semi-circle, covered in fur and perfectly sized for the participants to sit upon. Holding her brother Findekános arm, she allowed him to lead her to one of them and she lowered herself slowly, patting the one next to her for her brother and waving blithely over her shoulder for Túrë Alassindo to stand behind her left shoulder.

Staring at Findaráto, obviously much annoyed, she asked, "Where are the others? I interrupted my dinner, such as it was," she added disdainfully, "to be here and yet no one else has bothered to arrive. Where is your lovely sister, Artanis? Tell me not that she will forego this meeting to remain in her tent," she asked acerbically.

No sooner had she spoken when she looked up to see Erumelmo skirting the outer edge of the boulders and entering the sheltered cove. "And not a moment too soon," she mumbled angrily to herself, but when her eyes met Erumelmo's they sparkled as she greeted the neri. "Welcome, Erumelmo," she smiled in greeting, before her attention shifted to Aikanáro who had also raised his hand in greeting to Erumelmo.

With a smile, she teased Aikanáro, "Tell me you have brought some miruvor to warm my hands," Irissë whispered to the neri at her side. "I actually had to 'fish' for my own dinner," she finished scathingly, "and my fingers still feel the chill."

Artanis followed shortly on Erumelmo's heels, and the High Elves present all stood at once in greeting. Irissë stared for a long moment at the golden/silver haired nissi and debated remaining seated until courtesy demanded she honor her cousin, the daughter of her uncle Arafinwe. She too rose to her feet, though there was no exchange of greetings with the latest arrival. Instead, Artanis went immediately to join Findekáno and Erumelmo, where they conversed quietly. Irissë was only able to pick out bits and pieces of their exchanges but she was able to determine that whatever passed between them was dark in nature. She noted the dismay and emotions on Erumelmo's face and listened more closely.

“She but senses this, Rumel. Come! Do not grieve heedlessly. You do not know for certain. She does not speak of Fanui. She has felt death and war in the air, she does not know who has met with what fate.”

“Does she not?” Rumel whispered. His shoulders were hunched over and his head was low.

“Rumel –” Artanis began.

Findekáno raised his hand upward, silencing her words. He sat close to Erumelmo and put his arm around the younger elf’s shoulders. Bending his head close to Erumelmo’s face, he whispered, “Whatever doom it was that led us out of Valinor, we have stepped on to a path that has nothing to offer behind. There is no other choice but to move ahead, Rumel. Believe what you must, though I would have it otherwise; but you must not give in to despair. Know that there are still those who need you here. And I count myself among those who do.”

Artanis raised her hand again, hesitated for a moment, almost pulled back, but did not. She placed it on Erumelmo’s head. Then she leaned forward and kissed his dark hair.

Leaning forward, she had heard the entire exchange. Their words troubled her deeply. She had left Valinor with her brothers for many reasons, not the least to follow Celegorm, the tall, handsome, regal son of Feanor. She knew that nothing could come of her affection for him yet her heart refused to listen. Her eyes misted as thought of him filled her mind but she brushed her eyes quickly. This was not the time to worry about him, he was far beyond her now. There was also those issues with her mother....but no, she did not wish to think of those. But she had expected to sail across to Beleriand in comfort, not trudge for miles beyond measure under less than ideal conditions, and now facing the grinding ice yet ahead of them, she almost wished someone in this council would recommend turning back.

Her head snapped up as she heard the horns of Nolofinwë. Those gathered all rose to their feet and waited. Her father was arriving. The Council meeting was about to begin.

((OOC: If this is not what you were looking for, Rumel, let me know and I can edit or delete entirely and begin again. Difficult to bring a char in at this late date with no connection having been made with the others thus far.))

[Edited on 12/12/2007 by BerethEdhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 08:30
((OOC: well, I hope this works to get the Council meeting under way. It's not as long as I would have liked, bu I'm still sort of trying to 'feel' my way in this, so hopefully this is all right. If I need to edit/change anything, just let me know!))

The sound of horns announcing his arrival at the Council wafted eerily in the starlit darkness, and echoed strangely in Nolofinwë’s ears.

And yet, no ‘sign’ of it appeared on his impassive-seeming face.

His pace did not falter… no, the elf’s step remained ‘firm’… determined… and one observing the white-garbed figure might have questioned if the neri was even ‘aware’ of the uneven ground beneath his feet.

He was, however, Nolofinwë’s brilliant blue eyes picking out his path carefully as he approached the large outcropping of rock designated as the meeting-place.

The three Hosts had only begun this cold, arduous, and dangerous journey, and Nolofinwë was not ‘unaware’ it was a dire undertaking. - And, that all with him had chosen to follow him on this path had touched the neri deeply.

To himself, as he knew the hardships were only just beginning, in the privacy of his own thoughts, the elf wondered if he’d not made a mistake by choosing this path. But, even if he’d been alone, Nolofinwë knew he would *not* turn back from his Vow! He was determined to see this through, even knowing the toll it would take on them all.

Coming into the shelter of the cliff, the neri’s eyes took note of all who were there. He’d not ‘missed’ the fur-covered rocks, and the cloth-covered one clearly left for himself, but first, Nolofinwë slowly walked through the group, greeting each one.

For Irissë, there was a small, but encouraging smile and a light pat to her cheek, and to Findekáno a grasp to his son’s arm. His niece and nephew he nodded to, though, with a slight crease to his brow, “Where is Turukáno?” the dark-haired neri inquired, after greeting Aikanáro and Erumelmo as well, and then went to sit on the readied slab of rock. With another nod of his head, Nolofinwë indicated the others to sit as well, for the Council was now ‘ready’ to begin…
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 03:46
The south-west wind had abated as the sound of the horns of Nessa filled the hollowed rock. Erumelmo gritted his teeth and tore his mind away from haunted thought. He stood up as did the others. What Findekáno stated could very well be true: Artanis could have felt what they all did, she would have sensed more, that was her wont, but then the wind could be mistaken.

When the darkness was most bitter, thoughts could easily be transformed into belief.

But the sharpness of the air, this hour, had nothing to do with the ice in the north. The Iron Mountains themselves could not proclaim such bitterness – for this was the chill...of death. Erumelmo’s brown eyes darkened and he blinked. The tick in his jaw grew stronger and in his line of vision appeared an Elf. Tall. Handsome. Dark-haired and vibrant. With the bluest eyes that Erumelmo had ever seen.

Nolofinwë.

>edit
Erumelmo swallowed and tried to dislodge the aggravating lump in his throat. He bowed before the second son of Finwë. “Haraninya,” Erumelmo greeted, but his voice caught and he said no more.

>edit
Nolofinwë asked, “Where is Turukáno?”

“Turukáno sends his regret, Atarinya,” Findekáno answered. “For he will not participate in the Council. He stays back to fend for Elenwë, there has been injury to her leg. Irissë joins us in his stead.” He added, gesturing to his sister.

>edit
Nolofinwë went to the seat and seated himself. After he sat, the others did the same. To his immediate right, sat his son, Findekáno; to his left, was his brother’s daughter, Artanis. Findaráto and Irissë took the seats next to their respective siblings; whereas Erumelmo and Aikanáro took the seats at the end of the curve, facing each other. Túrë Alassindo stood quietly between the seats of Findekáno and Irissë.

Elf-lords in service to the High-Elves seated within the council and, in turn, their vassals kept guard around the entry to the hollowed enclave – but not near enough to hear clearly what was spoken within.

Findaráto, who was in Nolofinwë’s counsel, came to his feet, and all turned to him. His bearing was kingly and his golden hair shone despite the dark surrounding it. His voice carried in a deep baritone. “We are gathered here today, on the brink of this Shifting Ice, to decide the best recourse that is left to us in matters of food and the route that we decide to take. Other arguments of importance are free to be addressed in addition. You, who are leaders of the host, are best suited to make these decisions; for ‘tis you who shall have to explain to the Elves under your command and protection the nature of our travel, its dangers and, if the need arises, an estimation of the duration we spend over this perilous realm. If there are difficulties to be addressed, queries to be answered or doubts to be assuaged, now is the moment to speak.” He bowed his head to Nolofinwë, and the High-Elf smiled.

Findaráto sat down and Artanis placed a loving hand on her brother’s left arm, for it had been a long period since she had been separated from her favourite brother. She also knew that his heart was left behind in Valinor; and he grieved secretly.

>edit
The first to declare a statement was Aikanáro. His eyes gleamed with anger as he spoke. “I do not know which Betrayer is worse, Haraninya,” he spat with derision; his golden hair was stiff and straight, as though standing in righteous anger, “Bauglir or Fëanáro! One takes away all Light from our world, and the other takes away our trust by taking away all means of conveyance! Our steeds that we took from Valinor would have served us well! Our hope was on those ships!”

“Most of our hope,” Artanis interjected, “not all of it. We have walked over five and ten leagues since Fëanáro left us?”

“A little over,” Findekáno agreed.

“And each league has taken us one turn of the tide.” She waited for affirmation. Findekáno nodded in agreement. She then turned to her left and questioned Erumelmo: “Rumel, you have a fair understanding of the design of the land, having been under the personal tutelage of King Ingwë, have you not?”

“I have,” Erumelmo said, hesitating to meet her eyes, but eventually doing so.

“Over how many leagues then, Erumelmo,” asked Aikanáro, “does this infernal ice extend?”

“I would surmise it to be just over thirty-three leagues.”

At his words there was a brief silence amongst the members of the Council.

(For my future reference: Atarinya: my father; Atto : a pet name for father; ata : father; haran: king; Haraninya: my king; onya: my son)

[Edited on 11/1/2008 by Erumelmo]
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 01:04
Upon hearing his name, Ondotano turned. A nissi was standing there...and an incredibly familiar one, at that. Of course! It was Silmë, a close friend of Eärlindë’s. Ondotano was not acquainted with her as well as his wife, but he knew she must be a worthy friend, indeed, to have earned Eärlindë’s friendship. The thing he remembered most about her was her eyes...crystal clear, they were, and green as emeralds. Though Ondotano had always preferred gray eyes...

He smiled in greeting, and she returned the gesture. “Where is Eärlindë?” she asked.

“She left in search of you, actually,” A fierce gust of wind buffeted them from all sides, and Ondotano pulled his fur cloak more tightly about his broad shoulders. “If you leave now, you may reach her ere long.”

Silmë nodded her thanks, then spoke once more before heading off in search of Eärlindë. “I need to speak to the both of you. I need to ask for your aid and Eärlindë’s. Will you give it?”

“Well...” Ondotano paused, stroking his smooth chin. “That would depend on what manner of aid it is you require of us.” Seeing the nissi’s features fall, he flashed her a slight smile. “I am jesting, of course; you have my aid, and no doubt Eärlindë’s, as well. The past months have grieved her sorely, and I believe seeing you will bring joy to her heart.”

Indeed, he added inwardly, she has been grieved almost to the point of bitterness. It was true; a drastic change of character had come over Eärlindë after the Kinslaying, and now an invisible barrier seemed to exist between her and Ondotano. The latter fervently hoped that Silmë’s presence would soften his wife’s heart...how he wished to see a smile grace her fair face once more!

But then, he reminded himself, smiles were becoming increasingly difficult to come by in this frozen place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Eärlindë, meanwhile, briskly made her way through the host, scanning the multitudes of faces for the one that belonged to her friend. It had been awhile since she saw Silmë last --- sometime during the journey across Araman --- and she feared she had been neglecting their friendship.

The nissi stopped to get her bearings, her thoughts drifting back to when she and Silmë had first met. She had been in Tirion visiting her mother’s kin, and had been invited to sing in Finwë’s court by her cousin, a friend to one of the king’s advisors. How nervous she had been! Nonetheless, her performance had been beautiful — or so she had been told — and afterwards Silmë had introduced herself and told Eärlindë how much she admired her singing. The two quickly became friends, and communicated via letters even after Eärlindë returned to her home in Alqualondë. Silmë had been delighted when Eärlindë had wedded Ondotano, as it meant that her friend would come to live in Tirion and the two would get to visit more frequently.

Absentmindedly, Eärlindë stepped aside to let a weary-looking couple pass. She could barely wait to hear Silmë’s voice again...if only to relive memories of a happier time.

[I deeply apologize for the tardiness of this post; my computer privileges were suspended for a time. Hope everything proves satisfactory. This is the first draft; I may choose to edit it later on when my muse is flowing.]
Isillindë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 12:09
“Well...” Ondotano paused, stroking his smooth chin. “That would depend on what manner of aid it is you require of us.”

Silmë’s expression altered in shock. She had never known refusal. Being of the Vanyar, and of a bloodline that all of the Elves knew, she was not used to someone saying nay when she asked for something from elves other than family. Even Fanuiamarth could never rebuke her.

Before she could ask for Earlindë again, she noticed Ondotano smile a little. “I am jesting, of course; you have my aid, and no doubt Eärlindë’s, as well. The past months have grieved her sorely, and I believe seeing you will bring joy to her heart.”

Silmë’s expression relaxed now. She smiled brightly and her eyes gleamed. The fur around her hood flared in the breeze which she squinted against. Then his words registered fully and her smile faded. “In all the time spent walking this path we chose, over Araman, I have but met with her and you a few times. But I know of the sorrow she holds in her heart, Ondotano. They were her kin. And Fëanáro did them great injury – and so did some of us who went reckless into battle.

“You and I have spoken of this before… but she has not spoken of this to me yet; her wounds are too deep. With the torment of – what happened in Alqualondë and taking care of our own, we were just glad to see the other well and unhurt, whenever we chanced to meet. But she is hurt in ways that are not visible to our eyes. Has she said anything of her heart to you? Has she not yet joined the singers each time we step out on the March?”

She looked over his shoulder to the south-east. “Yonder lies our fate. But, to get to whatever end there, we have to cross this inhospitable realm.” She turned to her left and looked out at the scope of the congealed, rumbling mass of ice. “And who knows,” she whispered, “whether my end comes here itself…” She looked back into Ondotano’s eyes and smiled again. “But I despair and speak of what not even the Valar can foretell. What I needed to ask of you was if –” She stopped. Earlindë came out of the throng milling on the periphery of where Ondotano and she stood talking.

Silmë’s face beamed as she called out to her friend. “Earlindë!” She let go of her hood and it fell back, releasing her silver-gold hair from its confinement. It swirled about her like a halo, gleaming in the darkness. She skipped forward to greet her friend who was also running towards her.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2008 03:22
The wind was bitter. But she did not feel it. The sea to the south lashed against the barren shore. But she did not hear it. The sky above burst apart to make way for the Northern Lights to shimmer through once again. But she did not look at it.

She stepped out of the lean-to and did not see the concerned faces, of those who knew her, milling about. Seeing her expression, they made way to let her pass. Her cloak still covered Elerossë, so the wind now had its way with her gown and the sleeves of her inner tunic. The violet folds flailed against her legs yet she noticed not their pull. Her direction was towards the overhang that faced the sea.

Coming to it, she stood mere inches away from the fall. The sea was turbulent and some of the spray glittered through the dark air every once in a while. Her dark hair whisked around her fair face and her eyes burned with unshed tears. The Elves who followed her kept at a distance but grieved silently to see her so. Elerossë, a Prince of the Vanyar, who had chosen exile with the Noldor, had been well-loved; and they grieved, for the loss of such a soul was truly great. The Prophecy seemed all the more potent now.

Elnaira stood silent for a moment, swaying a little as the wind buffeted her body, facing the West, her eyes gazing far into the distant sky. The Lights gleamed and lit up her eyes, making diamonds of her tears. She slowly raised both her arms, her palms raised towards the heavens; then she raised her head and shut her eyes.

Her voice rang out loud, defying the wind. “Námo, I call upon thee. Námo, in Vê! I beseech thee, hear my prayer.”

Behind her, the Elves reiterated in a soft refrain, “Námo, Námo.”

In a voice that carried, it seemed as though over the seas, Elnaira began to sing.

Námo, I pray, hear what I say,
On grief’s shards, I have tread;
I take thy curse, despair I nurse
In cold, cold, on my stone bed.
The Night keeps falling,
While Woe keeps calling,
And my Heart weeps.

The nessi murmured: “Her heart weeps.”

Take my loss, keep it well;
Take my Hope that helped me cope,
As I move, move, towards Hell.
The Night keeps haunting,
While Woe seems daunting,
And my Heart weeps.

“Her heart weeps.”

Take his breath, keep it warm;
In the pall of night, watch his sleep,
Shelter him through, through, this storm.
The Night keeps its dark,
While Woe keeps its spark,
And my Heart weeps.

“Her heart weeps.”

Námo, if this thou do, I vow true,
No other complaint shall I know;
The cold, I shall lovingly hold;
Wither thy Will, my Life, Life, shall go.
Though the night be deep,
And Woe my smiles reap,
My quiet heart shall keep.

“Her heart shall keep.”

As the last note died on her lips, Elnaira fell to her knees. Two of the nessi strode ahead and lifted her.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: January 11, 2008 05:29
Her father's touch on her cheek was warm and she leaned into it, grateful for the acknowledging welcome tenderly given her. When all had seated themselves, Findarato was the first to rise to his feet, speaking in a clear, strong voice to each of them in turn.

“We are gathered here today, on the brink of this Shifting Ice, to decide the best recourse that is left to us in matters of food and the route that we decide to take. Other arguments of importance are free to be addressed in addition. You, who are leaders of the host, are best suited to make these decisions; for ‘tis you who shall have to explain to the Elves under your command and protection the nature of our travel, its dangers and, if the need arises, an estimation of the duration we spend over this perilous realm. If there are difficulties to be addressed, queries to be answered or doubts to be assuaged, now is the moment to speak.” He bowed his head to Nolofinwë, and the High-Elf smiled.

Irissë, pulling the white fur closer around her shoulders and burying her chin in the stiff fur, listened to his oration with interest, even as she shivered at a sudden blast of cold wind. She was about to stand and offer her thoughts when Aikanáro stood and, facing the gathering of High Elves, spat out his anger.

“I do not know which Betrayer is worse, Haraninya,” he spat with derision; his golden hair was stiff and straight, as though standing in righteous anger, “Bauglir or Fëanáro! One takes away all Light from our world, and the other takes away our trust by taking away all means of conveyance! Our steeds that we took from Valinor would have served us well! Our hope was on those ships!”

Mumbling derisively under her breath, she said, "A lot of good steeds would do us here," as she felt another minor rumble in the ice vibrate under her feet. She began to suggest that aloud when a discussion began, started by Artanis. "Of course," she thought, a slight sneer on her beautiful face.

“Most of our hope,” Artanis interjected, “not all of it. We have walked over five and ten leagues since Fëanáro left us?”

“A little over,” Findekáno agreed.

“And each league has taken us one turn of the tide.” She waited for affirmation. Findekáno nodded in agreement. She then turned to her left and questioned Erumelmo: “Rumel, you have a fair understanding of the design of the land, having been under the personal tutelage of King Ingwë, have you not?”

“I have,” Erumelmo said, hesitating to meet her eyes, but eventually doing so.

“Over how many leagues then, Erumelmo,” asked Aikanáro, “does this infernal ice extend?”

“I would surmise it to be just over thirty-three leagues.”

At his words there was a brief silence amongst the members of the Council.

Irissë rose to her feet, facing her father though glancing at her brother briefly first. With her gray-green eyes flashing she asked, "Ata, tell me this. Why should we even bother to attempt this crossing? Why is it so important to you? The vow you made was made in an anguished moment. Surely the Valar would not refuse us forgiveness if we returned." Her eyes ranged over all those present and continued. "Why not ask who of those would prefer to return?" She had a momentary thought of Celegorm and another of what it would mean to face her mother again, yet as her eyes took in the ice surrounding them, remembered the rumbles underfoot, and considered thirty-three more leagues of this icy wasteland, she would even accept the loss of Celegorm and dealing with her mother.

Her eyes met those of Artanis, those eyes that held so much conviction and strength, and felt a momentary twinge of guilt at what she was sure would be seen as weakness on her part, but tilting her chin up in defiance, she waited for her father's answer...or anyone else's comments, for that matter.

((OOC: I know this is relatively short but I think if we keep some of the council-related posts within a reasonable length to allow for responses/exchanges between one another, it would help))
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 19, 2008 09:06
Having bid the others to speak, Nolofinwë listened keenly as Findarato explained the ‘purpose’ of the Council, and to Aikanáro as he lashed out in fury.

Artanis, Erumelmo and Aikanáro then spoke of the suspicioned length of their dangerous journey, but no matter how far it was, the High King would press onward.
Irissë rose to her feet, facing her father though glancing at her brother briefly first. With her gray-green eyes flashing she asked, "Ata, tell me this. Why should we even bother to attempt this crossing? Why is it so important to you? The vow you made was made in an anguished moment. Surely the Valar would not refuse us forgiveness if we returned." Her eyes ranged over all those present and continued. "Why not ask who of those would prefer to return?"

In his mind, Nolofinwë recalled the moments on the shore - where he’d *asked* who was ‘with’ him. And, '“We follow, High King.” The Elves roared back as one"' had been their answer.

Unblinkingly, the dark-haired elf’s deep blue eyes rested upon Irissë for a long moment, and then Nolofinwë made his reply.

“You were not ‘forced’ to come, daughter,” he said calmly, and yet firmly. Sweeping his gaze over the gathered, “No one was forced to!” Continuing, his voice ’ringing’ out through the darkness, “Nor will anyone be ‘compelled’ to continue! If you wish to turn back, then do so!” and rising to stand at his full height, “Take this ‘back‘ to your hosts!” Nolofinwë commanded, “Anyone who does not wish to continue is free to go back, but I can not ‘guarantee‘ that much supplies can go with them!”

Turning his attention back to Irissë, and moderating his tone somewhat, “The ‘circumstances’ under which I made my Oath do not matter! I have made it, and I will not turn back from it! No one else is ’bound’ to it except me, and I will fulfill it - whatever the cost to myself may be!”

With that said, Nolofinwë regally reseated himself. “Now,” he continued, and looked to Artanis, Aikanáro, and Erumelmo; and then to Findekáno and Irissë. “I want a concise accounting of your current supplies, and Findaráto will give ours. We must know who is short of what, and what needs to be redistributed. Once this is decided, we will move on to discussing our route…”
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2008 12:46
Artanis’ eyes softened as she looked at Erumelmo. His answer had given everyone in the Council pause. She knew he suffered. She took a stronger inhalation of breath; perhaps fate could not be averted by disclosing what was imminent in the present. A white flurry in the corner of her eye, brought her attention to Irissë, who had come to her feet.

"Ata, tell me this. Why should we even bother to attempt this crossing? Why is it so important to you? The vow you made was made in an anguished moment. Surely the Valar would not refuse us forgiveness if we returned." Her eyes ranged over all those present and continued. "Why not ask who of those would prefer to return?"

Artanis felt the muscles in her brother’s forearm tighten. She exerted just the smallest amount of pressure with her fingers that still rested there. Then she met Irissë’s gaze directly as it came to fall on her. When the gray-green eyes turned away from her within a moment, Artanis smiled inwardly. She did not look toward Nolofinwë as everyone did – instead she dropped her gaze to the hard ground and felt a rumble emerge from its bowels. She heard Nolofinwë’s reply – acutely aware of each word.

After he had finished speaking and gave them leave to speak again, Artanis came to her feet slowly. “Haraninya.” She spoke the title and was silent for a long instant. “We all heard the Prophecy on the Wind. Ata chose to return. We did not.” She looked at Findaráto, then turned half turned to meet Erumelmo’s gaze. “We chose to follow you towards Middle-earth. Our choice remains resolute. This not the time to look back – but forward. To whatever end.” So saying she returned to her seat.

Erumelmo stood up. The wind sang through his hair and he tilted his head slightly to get the strands off his face. He looked directly at Nolofinwë. “Sire, I follow you for a reason that cannot be explained. For love is oft inexplicable. So, pray, do not doubt or question this love. I know that each confirmation of this love – may prove grave and grim; but it shall remain earnest. Our allegiance was to you; and with you it shall remain.” There was a stuttering light within the sky, and suddenly the Aurorae broke out of the darkness. Each face within the Council was bathed in a kaleidoscope of colour.

Findekáno was smiling widely. “The Valar seem to be pleased with your words, Rumel.”

Artanis was looking into the sky and her face was solemn. She did not look at Erumelmo.

Findekáno continued speaking as Erumelmo sat down. “Ata, we are to progress upon the ice, so I would advise that we stay as close to the sea as possible. The Last Host is also short of wood for fires. I have asked the vassals to collect the wood and have it stored together – to be handed out in cases of vital situations.”

Aikanáro spoke next. “Furs, Haraninya. We need more of them for the injured, since most of the wounded are placed within the Mid-Host.”

“Aye,” Erumelmo agreed, “There has been a death due to this, Sire. Finding the one responsible is nigh impossible but if found, should I deal with the matter myself or send him ahead to await judgement from you?”

“And food,” Artanis said quietly, “Do we collect it all and keep custodians for it, for due rationing? Or do we let each family fend for itself?”
TurinTurimbar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2008 01:15
((OOC: Sorry for the delay, I have been loaded down with homework this entire week and have not had time to write anything.))

Taurohtar was thinking about his past again. The faces of his mother, father, and brothers, and sisters flashed through his head along with the places he had been and the things he had done. It was not good for him to think about such things, especially since he was leaving to start a new life.

He stood up and shook himself to get the layer of snow that had fallen on him off and he began to pace and force himself to think about the journey ahead to stop his mind from wandering to the past.

'How long is this blasted council going to last!' he thought straining to hear what was being said inside the ring. 'Oh well, I should probably go check on Elnaira.'

With that thought in mind, he left the council area and stalked through the camps back to where he had left his master's sister.

Taurohtar reached the lean to just in time to see two nessi helping Elnaira from the ledge.
"What is this?" he demanded in a no-nonsense manner.

"She was singing at the ledge for her brother and we just caught her before she fell into the ocean." their leader replied in a truly concerned tone.

"Thank you my good nessi, go to your families, I will watch over her now." Taurohtar said with a surprisingly gentle voice. He then took Elnaira, who was all but unconscious, back to the lean-to where he laid her down on a small cot and then plopped himself down on the ground.

"Here," he said, handing her a small flask, "drink a sip, it will warm you." He then wrapped both his cloak and his blanket around Elnaira and sat near the door to watch both her and for signs that the council was over.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 05:23
Irissë had spoken her thoughts and was chagrined at her father’s response.

“You were not ‘forced’ to come, daughter,” he said calmly, and yet firmly. Sweeping his gaze over the gathered, “No one was forced to!” Continuing, his voice ’ringing’ out through the darkness, “Nor will anyone be ‘compelled’ to continue! If you wish to turn back, then do so!” and rising to stand at his full height, “Take this ‘back‘ to your hosts!” Nolofinwë commanded, “Anyone who does not wish to continue is free to go back, but I can not ‘guarantee‘ that much supplies can go with them!”

Turning his attention back to Irissë, and moderating his tone somewhat, “The ‘circumstances’ under which I made my Oath do not matter! I have made it, and I will not turn back from it! No one else is ’bound’ to it except me, and I will fulfill it - whatever the cost to myself may be!”

When her eyes briefly met those of Artanis, and caught just the hint of an arrogant smirk, she turned her head, her fair skin blushing furiously. “Why does she always make me feel like an elfling?”, she growled to herself. Yet she had to agree with her father’s wise words. They had all indeed agreed to follow him to Middle Earth and she had spoken out of weariness and the feel of the frigid temperatures that only her cloak managed to protect her from to some degree. She sat down abruptly, vowing to listen and offer her thoughts only when she was certain they would be something brilliant.

As expected (by Irissë if no one else), Artanis was the first to respond to Nolofinwë and her words were noble and carried her convictions to all assembled. She was followed by Erumelmo, who spoke of undying love, which seemed almost to light the sky....until Irissë noted that indeed the sky was bathed in glorious lights that wavered and swirled above them, lighting the faces of them all in many shades and hues. It was so beautiful a sight that she could do naught but watch in stunned and wordless awe, and as a result, she failed to register the next few words spoken.

Her attention returned as Findekáno was saying, “......to collect the wood and have it stored together – to be handed out in cases of vital situations.” She thought of the small fires that had burned under even smaller pots, melting the ice for the tea at early morning breaking of the fast. Surely they would not take that one small gift away from the travelers. When Aikanáro brought up the subject of furs, she tugged her cloak, sewn by her own fingers, tighter around her slender frame. When Erumelmo had settled the matter with her father as to what to do with someone she knew not but who had apparently committed some malevolent offense upon them, she stood to face Nolofinwë.

Speaking softly, her eyes lowered and her hands folded at her waist, and with a strength rarely heard by others, she said, “Ata, the nissi of my host have learned to stitch the white bear’s fur into blankets and cloaks. I am sure they will be willing to work with whatever pelts are brought to them by the neri.”

“And food,” Artanis said quietly, “Do we collect it all and keep custodians for it, for due rationing? Or do we let each family fend for itself?”

Facing Artanis with a self-assurance often absent in her dealings with her cousin, she offered her own suggestions in response. “My ladies have also mastered fishing through holes broken in the ice. We can supply fish for at least two of the hosts were we to fish daily, possibly three if it is rationed severely. But it would add to the baskets if you could also offer some of the ladies from your host to aid us in this endeavor as well, cousin.” She waited calmly for Artanis to answer her request, wondering serenly if Artanis was useful for anything other than nobly spoken words.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email