Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans over Forty ~ Part XII
on: June 18, 2007 03:30
As Neenime pointed out, the time has come to make a new thread... Makes me think of Alice in Wonderland's Catepillar...

Anywhoo... Here we are with part twelve of our thread. Heh...

Sorry to have been MIA - returning from vacation was enough to make me want another vacation. LOL...

That said here you all go!

(Note - I can't count and can't even read the title of my own thread!)

[Edited on 7/27/2007 by BelleBayard]
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans over Forty ~ Part XII
on: June 18, 2007 05:34
Yes, here we go again..........onward and upward to new heights (hopefully).

Speaking of heights, my life took a turn upwards this past weekend. Something that I've wanted to do for a very long time came to pass and this is how it came about.
Some friends and I were having dinner in the courtyard at a local restaurant. That afternoon I had applied one of those stick-on tatoos and was showing them what I "had done", not telling that it was temporary. I think that I fooled them because the comments were turning towards I'm now ready for that motorcycle and some piercings. A few minutes later, the sound of a motorcycle was heard behind the fence of the courtyard. I peeked through the crack and told them that it was a Harley-Davidson-I knew that sound. Sure enough, a "biker" wearing a Harley cap and his "babe" came into the courtyard through the back gate.
One of my friends told the "biker" that his sister (ME!) loved Harleys, but had never had a ride on one. Would he give me a ride around the parking lot? The "biker" looked at me, looked at his "babe" and then at me again. Sure, he said, let's go! My mind was racing as what I should do. I deided to GO FOR IT!! :disco:
He asked if I wanted to wear gloves and I think that I told him that I wanted it ALL! While "suiting up" my male friends were taking pics of me with their cell phones. Don't know where hubby or the gals were.??? "Biker" and I rode off-and we didn't cruise the parking lot, but took a 10 minute ride, through some back roads and less busy streets. In chatting with him, I felt more at ease about riding off with a complete stranger. He's a nice guy. He said that his wife would have been upset at him if he hadn't given me a ride, as she enjoys it so much.
Words can't describe how wonderful it was!! It was a Harley-Davidson Electroglide and soooo smooth! I think I've become a "biker chick."
I am not going to buy one-not yet, as my new friend Barry has told me that he and his wife are at that restaurant every Friday night and I can have a ride any time I want!! Whoo hoo!! Think we're going to eat out alot on Fridays!!

MT
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 05:54
MTMS, how exciting for you, your dream came true. It sounds like you had loads of fun. How nice of the biker. You go girl! :disco:

Hi Belle thank you for all the work you do for COE and consequently FOF.

cirdaneth I hope you had a good rest and will be refreshed and can finish your story.

Morwin I am glad you had a good time at the festival. I also hope it does not take a long time for your bathroom to be finished.

Swabby I have not tried your recipe yet so I will add the vinegar when I do. I hope your levels straighten out and you are not so tired.

Rose so good to read your post. I bet Egypt was beautiful. Take care. How is Mag?

Neenime it has been my experience that weddings and funerals bring out the best and the worst in people. How utterly childish of the one cousin. Thank goodness you were there for the shunned cousin.

If I have left anyone out I am so sorry. Chalk it up to my forgetfulness.

Calle where are you? Hi Scots and HT and Mith,Balrog, Dimple and Lady B and Randi,Sindy,Brandi,OTB.

[Edited on 18/6/2007 by awelyn418]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 09:30
MT: I like your Ara-baby story, but I like your biker one better. GO GO GO BIKER CHICK!!!

MORWIN: Glad you enjoyed the festival. Maybe your bathroom pics will give me the courage to renovate mine. We have been thinking of doing it for about two years. Well, one day...

AWELYN: How thoughful of you to do that for you mother in law! Nice gesture. I worked in a nursing home 20 years ago and it is my belief that memories have a strong link between the past an the present, the person they were and the person they are. You're a good person. :heart:

NEENIME: Self righteous? Oh yes! They are the ones who think they posess the absolute truth. Gald you had fun at your BBQ.

SCOTS56: Am I too late for sending kind thoughts your way? I hope not, good luck. Don't start thinking about school yet, it ended a few weeks ago. My daughter is leaving for university in september and I'm not ready for that

HT: My daughter writes quite a bit on her own free time. And she said that sometimes, the characters take over her ideas and she has to change a paragraph, a page or the way the story goes. Weird... See you're not the only one...

SWABBY: Even when a heart beats half speed, it doesn't mean your're a half person. I'm with Neenime on this one. Just take good care of yourself and be like the song said: Don't worry be happy.

Have a good monday everyone, bon lundi
Dimple:heart:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 11:38
Oh MT! You lucky thing! I’m so jealous. I was waiting for a bus in Bakewell last week when a biker came by. As he waited at the lights, I couldn’t take my eyes off him, and began to wonder seriously if I dared buy a nice big Kawasaki and a set of leathers … bearing the legend “Little old lady. Please pass.” :nono: Shame. Can’t afford to fall off things these days. Bits of me might break. Never mind I have happy distant memories of a BSA Starfire, and of a Bantam 175 that could take the rugged footpaths with two up. It was 34 miles to our friend by road, but only 8 over the mountains. Standing up all the way of course. It’s a wonder my knees have lived to tell the tale.

Now … the tale of my weekend, has turned into a week plus some. The reason for the trip was to attend a show my daughter was appearing in. She is a staff- nurse at Wycombe Hospital but has always liked to sing … up to now in choirs. A couple of years back she decided to take not just singing lessons, but courses towards a qualification in performing arts. She has just completed Level 3 and “Broadway Baby” was the end-of-course show. I had no idea what to expect.

On the evening of Friday 8th my older granddaughter drove over from Warrington for the night and we were out of the house by eight next morning and in Buckinghamshire for lunch. A snatched lunch and then off to collect my younger granddaughter from rehearsals for a show she’s doing, take her home, do a voice warm-up, run through a song and take her to an audition by 2:30. She is not quite 13, … and she’s a diva. Completely impossible. “Mummy, I can’t sing” *dramatic sob* “I’ve not warmed up properly” … *clutches throat* “It hurts, Mummy!” *waves arms* “I’m so UGLY!!” etc etc and so-forth. I hugged her very tight. I see myself in her. I’ve felt that too. I’ve even thrown the same wobblies … as an adult too. It’s the adrenaline. Anyway she sang beautifully and is through to the final selection.

A bit of shopping and a dash back for my daughter to get ready for an evening rehearsal while the girls and I barbecued chicken and sausages and ate outdoors. Then I relearned how to play Cluedo (it was the Colonel in the Library with the Revolver). On Sunday morning my daughter was out of the house by 9:30 and we didn’t see her again until after the show that night. Meanwhile …

… not far away lives an old gentleman I met on a genealogical website some six years ago. He was given his first computer at the age of 84 and recently had his 90th birthday. His eyesight failed last year but he has acquired a voice-blog and sits down every fortnight and talks for ten minutes. I just click on the link and there he is. Always has something interesting to say. He’s a miracle. So someone collected me at 10 and I spent a couple of hours with Johnno and his family.

In the afternoon the girls had me playing Trivial Pursuit and we made a lasagne in time for their Dad coming back from his MG Rally. Then it was off to the show. AMAZING!! A theatre in Marlow. There were ten students, mostly in their forties, plus a professional actor/tenor brought in for the occasion, a real band, and everybody wired for sound. They did numbers from Sunset Boulevard, Cabaret, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, and the whole intro of Sondheim’s “Into the Woods”. It included all the acting and dancing, quick costume changes … the lot. They were superb and a great showcase for the woman who taught them.

On Monday morning I got to talk to my daughter for a while, then after a pub lunch, Lucy and headed north again … this time using the satellite navigation device I bought her for her birthday. Great fun … and a Godsend at roundabouts (rotaries) … presuming the roundabout is still there and hasn’t been redesigned. I was home by 7pm and Lucy went on to Warrington in time to meet friends for a pub quiz. I meanwhile collapsed in a heap. I lead such a quiet life normally, but something seems to have energised it lately.

Well, that was the weekend … and there’s still the rest of last week to tell, but I think I’ll post this as a first instalment. More later.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 02:32
FoF the 11th? Hmmmm, do I see Hollywood sniffing about? Gads, I surely hope not!
HT: My daughter writes quite a bit on her own free time. And she said that sometimes, the characters take over her ideas and she has to change a paragraph, a page or the way the story goes. Weird... See you're not the only one...

I know that feeling! In writing with my dear on-line friends, the characters literally take me over at times. They have a disconcerting habit of doing so at the most inconvienent times..like during class, working on school projects, taking to the spousal unit. It's gotten to the point that I can "hear" their voices and the intonation they use. It's an interesting thing to have happen. I didn't know I had it in me, well I always knew it was there, but for 45 years I didn't do anything about it. I just wish I had enough money to retire now and write full time. Maybe in 15 or 20 years.

MT, you are a braver woman than I! Riding a Hog??!! Maybe it was growing up with a doctor-dad who worked at the University of the PoG and patched together students. Then he went to a local hospital as the head ER physician and put them back together there too. I am just not brave enough although when I see the motorcycles whizz by I think, How Fun! I hope you are totally enjoying yourself. And just think, motorcycles are MUCH more gas efficient than cars. That's a good thing! You Go, Girl!

Cirdaneth: You had one busy weekend. It seems like you lead a quiet life until you start to put pen to paper. Or in this case, fingers to keyboard. I'm sure you are proud fit to burst of your grandchildren.

Awelyn: How are you feeling? Things starting to work themselves back into place? I hope so.

I hope the OHIMA's were kept at bay today for all of you. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Cheers,
Scots
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 02:38
CIRNADETH; How exciting it must be for your granddaughter and daughter! You live in a very talented family
O.K. If an 84years old man can use a pc,then it's not so bad if I started using one at 53
Very interesting week-end,so get rest now ( or maybe not)busy woman

SCOTS56; It must be a wonderful feeling to be able to write for a living,very rewarding!I think it's the ultimate life
Well thinking about it ,next time I go shopping I'll buy myself a book so I can start slowly to do some writing.I have posponed it for too long nowYou have a very good influence on me, all of you FoF:heart:

Must go now, the sun is shining and the flowers are waiting for me.
Have a nice day, bonne journée

Dimple
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 05:56
You're talking about my kind of motorcycles, Cirdaneth. I've owned a couple of BSA's, but mostly I was a Norton man. I've been a nut about motorcycles all of my life and built my first contraption when I was 11. Growing up very poor, there was no money for scooters or motorbikes, so I had to make my own. I was always a tinkerer anyway, so I built a number of motorized bicycles, scooters and go-karts from whatever parts I could get my hands on. Later on when I could afford to buy a real, factory-made motorcycle, I fell in love with the British bikes and eventually became a bit of an "expert" on them, although I hate to use that word. After retiring from the US Navy in 1988, I worked at a BMW motorcycle dealership as a mechanic. I still have boxes of mostly Norton parts in my garage, but have pretty much hung up my tools because of health reasons. I still have Suzuki cruiser that I ride. I wanted to post some pictures of some of my Nortons for you to see, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I even got Mrs Swabby (Who knows way more than I do about computors) to try to do it, but she couldn't figure it out either. Oh well.

Since I believe that we are our own worst judges, I will leave it to others to determine the figurative size of my heart, Dimple, but I thank you for your kind words. With the front half of my heart being dead, there should be no argument as to its literal size. I'm kind of like an old sports car with half my spark plug wires pulled off. Not too smooth or fast, but at least I'm still going.

I'm glad you didn't make that marinade with the vinagar missing, Awelyn. You probably would've been thinking "That Swabby gave me a bad recipe"

Happy Tuesday everyone! Swabby
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 06:12
Had a lovely weekend complete with a fire by the lake Saturday night. Elderly neighbors who are also close friends arrived for the summer from Florida last week. They are both in their mid 80's and he has trouble with perception as his one eye is completely blind now. But they managed to make it to the fire and we had quite a good time. Very interesting and fun people who have traveled all over the world with many tales to tell.

Yesterday I was catching up on things here and did not give in to the urge to join the girls outside in the sun. But they ended up with some heavy persuasion getting me to join them later for a boat ride. We docked and went swimming and just played like kids tossing the ball and Frisbee. Now there is talk of making this an every Monday event...think I could handle that, lol!

MT, we are such kindred spirits. I've always felt the inner biker chick thing and absolutely love riding. Isn't it just an awesome feeling? Sounds like this guy is an experienced rider, which is an important safety factor. Wouldn't it be great if our biker/sailor here could take us for a spin on his bike? You may want to use some caution with Ara-baby...he is quite used to getting most of your attention.

Hope they get your levels straightened out, Swabby. Want you feeling healthy with a good dose of that sailor spunk
that fires your soul. :naughty: I so agree with what Neenime said about your heart.

Neenime, I was wondering the same thing about The Children of Hurin. It seems to have a bit more to it but basically the same thing. But I am curious to know for sure. Have thought about just opening and comparing both books but never got around to it.

Enjoy your summer vacation, Scots. (And to all the teachers here.) Try not to think of school before you have to. When are Rose (and Magoleth?) due to arrive? Sounds like such fun to have visitors from FOF at your door and from so far away.

Well the morning is spent and time to run some errands. It just started to rain but looks like a quick shower. It is so dry here we could really use a good rain. Anyways, have a great day and hello to you all. Hope some of you that have not been around lately come back. Take care, everyone! :heart: :hug:

[Edited on 19/6/2007 by Miththoliel]
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 07:09
♫ ♪ 'Motorbikin' Motorbikin', Motorbikin', motorcycling
Movin' on the queens' highway
Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
Too fast to live, too young to die
I bought a new machine and then they say
It takes your breath away
Motorbikin' Motorbikin', Motorbikin', motorcycling
Movin' on the queens' highway
Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
Baby won't you come with me
I'll take you where you wanna be
Here I am again, i'm dressed in black
I got my baby, she's ridin' up back
We're doin' about ninetyfive
I said: oh, it's good to be alive' ♫ ♪ [Billy Idol]

Wtg MT!! Nothing like a blast on the pillion of a motorbike.

Sounds like you had a grand weekend, cirdaneth.

Mith, Magoleth and I will be flying to see Scots in October. I thought we would use a plane though, as my wings might get a tad weary. lol!!

Swabby, if your pics aren't already on your PC, you should scan them and save them. Then you need to upload you pics to a host site, like TinyPic for instance. You get an IMG code, which you copy and paste into your post and bob's your uncle. An good idea is to reduce the size of your pics though, so they aren't too big.

Hugs to everyone I haven't mentioned.

Byeee

Rose

[Edited on 19/6/2007 by Rosearialelven]
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 11:58
Been thunder and lightning here so the PC's been off most of the evening. No time to write much tonight. I have a meeting here tomorrow night planning the celebration of Famous Derbyshire Women, which is our theme for the well-dressing festival this year. I need to find or compose readings about ...

a) Vera Brittain (WW1 VAD)
b) Catherine Booth (wife of General Wm Booth, Salvation Army.)
c) The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire (Debbo, youngest of the Mitford sisters)

I've done the first two, but need to choose something about Debbo. Her life has been so varied and there is so much to choose from. i.e. travelling alone, as a teenager, at the outbreak of WW2, by boat and train ... from the Hebrides to Oxfordshire, with a whippet, a labrador and a goat. "I milked the goat at midnight in the first-class waiting room, which I should not have done as I only had a third class ticket." Alighting at Euston (major London station) she even took them in a taxi to her sister's house. I can picture it.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 01:57
MTMS what a great adventure. You go, girl!!! I am so glad you had a chance to do that. Sure hope it wasn’t the night that you decided to wear a mini-skirt!

Cirdaneth Your poor young diva had quite the case of nerves. How lovely to experience music with people you love. Glad you had a good time.

Mith - I’m told The Children of Hurin has had some additional editting , so ima check it out. I understand there is some info on it at the Tolkien families’s web site. You can access it from the Tolkien Society web site.

Speaking of TS, my group of friends has almost agreed to form a “smial”, that is an independent group affiliated with the larger Tolkien Society. We can publish our little meetings in the newsletter and connect with Tolkien lovers all over the world. Cool!

Swabby Wow- you were really living the bike life. Sounds like a lot of great times.

Mag,Scots and Rose I must have missed something. Didn’t realize you were all getting together. That’s wonderful! October is a little way of, but you can savour the anticipation for a long time.

Mith That sounds like a lovely visit at the lake. Such restful times are precious.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 03:49
Hi Everyone,

I thought I had posted over the weekend but I was either napping, zoned out on Tylenol, or it disappeared into cyberspace. I know I was here because I wrote down Rivka's address to mail her a check for site costs.

I also floated over to the Elvish language forum, thinking I would go back to my learning of Elvish, but quickly remembered why I left. There are some absolute experts over there (I think they are the real things---like the Acclaimed Tolkien language experts of the world----)they scare me because they are always "repremanding" folks for original sources versus secondary sources and such when all I want to know is how to say things like "You look wonderful today." or "I wish there was a Starbuck's in Bree." I'm so common!!!

Talked to our good friends whose twin sons are in the military (one Army/one Marine both MPs). One is in Bagdad and already barely missed an IED (minor injuries) and one is in Alaska after a year in Afganistan waiting to be re-deployed (July). The outcome is frightening and almost inevitable. The DH and I expect the phone to ring at any time.

Godson has finally managed to get himself removed from the community college for bad grades (it took him two years). It only took two quarters for Ohio State to pull his scholarship (in physics, no less) and send him packing. I'm not sure there are any other collegiate options if the community college gives you the boot. This kid scored in the 98%tile on the ACT, but for some reason, sees no point in going to class or finishing assignments. What's amazing is this is not the usual teenage drug/alcohol issues. Actually fundamentalist religion seems to be an obsession with him and he is feeling what's the point if the Rapture can happen anytime. I think he got wrapped up in those Left Behind books????? He thinks I'm a heathen (we already know this is true) because I told him Jesus may be coming but he's not bringing your rent check. Don't know what he is going to do now, but NO ONE can give him advice. :cry:

Thanks for the thoughts for the niece and her car. Car was totaled; dad bought her a used Sentra to drive to school which she starts in the fall. Actually, he should have bought her a boat since they live in Joplin and it hasn't stopped raining for a week.

Week 2 of exercise boot camp commences....I was EXHAUSTED at the end of last week and was glad when I finished my morning walk on Friday which meant I had completed all I planned for the week. WooHoo! Of course, when beginning a rigorous exercise program, my body did not cooperate scale-wise and I lost nothing BUT it will go away!
Neenime, more power to you for jazzercising. :disco: I don't know what kicks my butt worse---the body sculpting or the circuit class!

Swabby, I have sympathy pains in my arm for you---had blood drawn for 18 months after surgery check-up. My doc's a vampire, I believe. I should have just given a full pint and forgotten those little tubes. The phlebotomist (blood taker) is usually very good but this morning, she was poking and prodding and I had a head ache from not having my morning coffee or breakfast and the front that was coming through (thank you, Jesus, it finally rained!!!!!) OUCHIE!!!

I am working on my stories, and I want to retire and write full-time also, Scots. I don't really even care if anyone reads them. I like them myself (isn't that vain? Who are your favorite authors, Sindy? Tolkein, Stephen King, and myself)
Anyway, I posted a new story at HennethAnnuin. I had a new character running around in my head that I had to set loose. If you've read my stories and know Quillion, I think she and he will eventually end up together as caretakers in Rivendell and Quillion may even be part of the Gray Company that rides to Minas Tirith with Aragorn....I just thought of that.

Speaking of Stephen King: Just finished a good book by his son who writes as Joe Hill called The Heartshaped Box. and bought King's Blaze this AM at my most hated store Walmart (had to go in to buy protein bars---cheapest place) and am half way through it already. Reminescient of The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption.

But MTMS, I have my own Ara-baby and I occasionally even let him hold the sword :evil:.....Swabby, don't get any ideas. Remember your potassium! (DH actually does look a little more Elven, kind of like Gil-Galad)

Mith! How are you? Isn't Ohio CRUNCHY?
Awelyn, hope you are enjoying the summer sunshine.
Cirdaneth, what an adventure!
Rosie, I saw some of your relatives recently. We watched the DVD of Eragon. I thought of you soaring along above me on the air currents.

Just FYI for those folks across the pond: we have deep fried Twinkies here. Actually, we're Americans: we'll deep fry anything!!!

Sindy
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 03:58
Scots I had to call my doctor today and I am seeing him Monday. I started having pain in my right side. His nurse said it is normal when using the mesh. I only have the pain before I get out of bed and when I sit for over a hour. This recovery and surgery has been the most frustrating thing for me. Oh I will survive.

cirdaneth your visit and trip to the theater sounded lovely. You also were with family that you love and nothing can take the place of that
experience.

Rose I am glad you are going by plane your wings would get tired. You are going to have such a good time in the USA and October should be a pretty time to visit.

Mith ,Oh that sounded like so much fun. Being on a boat and I just love a campfire. It is so peaceful and I just love to stare in a fire. Have a good Tuesday.

Swabby , I just might have said that about the recipe. But who knows it may have tasted good. You take care of yourself. Swabby would you have a recipe for a bean salad that has three kind of beans in it I think it has wax beans and kidney beans and I can't remember the other bean but I had it at a Bar-B-Q and it was so good.

Dimple, you are a true gardener. My eldest daughter has a pre-school that she named after her grandmother Audrey. Audrey's gardens. Her grandmother taught her so much about gardening and nature. My daughter loves to garden.The theme of the school revolves around nature and gardening.

Neenime that is great about the smial, you are so lucky. How is Jess doing?
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 04:15
Hey everyone,
I am back from my camping trip to the wilds of Idaho. I enjoyed it. It was a training on leadership sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). I learned a lot.
Not much else is going on. Working hard this summer in the yard and around the house. I spent a few hours today scrapbooking. That is an exhausting job. I want it to be cute because it's our trip to Disney World. It should be worth it.
I'm planning on a big July, lots going on. Should be fun.
Brandywine
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 03:15
sindarinelvish, I'm sorry you feel those who just want simple sentences to speak in Sindarin are being chased away by elitist attitudes. I shall bring that up in the Moderators forum. It shouldn't be that way. If folks want to get into depth that's fine, but those who just want to learn basics shouldn't feel they aren't welcome.

I know what you mean about just writing for your own pleasure. If I didn't have to pay bills, I'd be doing that. Sadly, I have written nothing that isn't related to work or my Master's program in at least 2 yrs!

As for your godson... I'm sorry to say I have this happen to more than one person and not just young ones. There's a nurse at work who has quit her program to become an RN because she feels why do it? She'll just be a missionary and wait for the Rapture. *sigh* What happens if it doesn't occur in your lifetime, people?

Anyway, off that subject.

awelyn, I"m so sorry you've having such a rough recovery.

swabby, take care of yourself. Missed you during your hiatus and would like to have you around longer. Sounds like you're quite a cook!

To everyone else I missed, wishing you fair winds and following seas!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 03:30
CIRNADETH; Do tou like history? The other day on Nova there was a documentary about the Kings of England.Very interesting, Henry the VIII is my favorite.

NEENIME;The daugther and I want to join the TS this summer,are you a member?I like your idea of forming a 'smial",very cool

SINDY;Sorry about the godson.I have a 20years old nephew in that condition.Doesn't like school, doesn't know what to do with himself.It's worrying for the parents.What can a parent do beside his best?

AWELYN: Wish you well on monday,I'll be thinking about you

BRANDY;Glad you enjoyed your camping tripIn fall when the daugther will be at university, I want to sort out all the photos from the album since her birth and so on,put it in a scrapbook and give it to her.

Must go ,
Hi to Schabby,Miththoliel, Rose and everybody else:heart:

Dimple
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 04:28
Oh my dear prescious Dimple, how you make me smile. I'm proud to have you call me "Schabby". It has a nice ring to it, I think. Rose used to call me some funny names too, and I enjoyed that also. Really, I'm not kidding.:love:

A result of that hiatus is that I've started to do a little writing too, Bell. Not the silly poetry I used to write, but serious stuff. A couple of you already know this. Anyway, I'm doing it for the same reason I do art or music or just about anything else--- it fulfills some need I have to express myself. I know I'm no Tolkein or Dickens (um, well maybe I am that) but I have fun doing it and a few people who've read the two short stories I've written so far have convinced me that they don't suck.

I'm sorry about you losing that bit of time, Sindy. You haven't been eating any of those "natural" mushrooms, have you?

Have a great humpday, all! Schabby
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 08:14
Sindy, you were posting at the same time I was posting I guess. You know I think the people that are talking about the rapture should read their Bibles. When Jesus left in and went to heaven Angels asked the disciples why they were staring into the clouds. They told them to go do what Jesus told them. That was not sitting and just waiting for his return. So, I hope your godson realizes that soon.

Swabby, I just love your stories and I think you are very talented. Dickens you made me smile. You have a great humpday.

Thank you Dimple. My best friend's husband is diabetic and having a second leg amputated today. Think of him to his name is David. I like history too.

Thank you Belle and you are just a great moderator. You always look out for the members. I appreciate that very much.

Brandy I scrap book myself. I am glad you had fun camping was it hot in your tent?

Have a great day everyone.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 04:16
Thought I'd pop in to say hi to everyone. I've not been in much lately except to read. I've been ill but I think I'm getting better now.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 04:38
In my mind's eye, I see mith and myself on swabby's Norton. He's giving us lessons on proper riding techniques so that we don't "pop a wheelie" or anything too dangersous or dramatic. I'll behave, swabby. Wouldn't want you to put me in time out.

We are indeed kindred spirits, mith, as I love playing in the water with friends.(water bazookas are great fun!) Bonfires at night are a favorite as well. Word of advice: keep your Ara-baby a good distance from the bonfire. Sparks can travel farther than you'd imagine. Wouldn't want him "hot" in that other manner of speaking.

Mini-skirts are a thing of the past for me, neenime. I do wear skirts alot though, especially in the summer. If I had been wearing one last Friday night, I might've wrapped it carefully around myself and jumped on the back of that Harley anyway! Born to be wild!!!

I think that a Starbucks in Bree is an excellent idea, sindy! A good location for it would be across the street from The Prancing Pony.
I think your should concentrate on your writing. You do such a great job on your stories. I'm headed over to HA and read them.

Glad you survived that camping trip, brandywine. Did you freeze you patootie off??? If so, please send directions to the campsite to me, as I will bring my patootie there to be made less of.

I'm glad that you're going to see the doctor about your pain, awelyn. Hopefully he can do something to make you more comfortable. How's the deck coming along??

It's good seeing you, Belle. I join with awelyn in thanking you for the fine job you do on our beloved CoE.

I've been thinking of you alot, scots, as I've painted one wall in my living room and my entire kitchen. :rolling: For two days I've gone to jazzercise and returned home to spend the entire day painting. I'm EXHAUSTED!!! I've learned that red toned paints take MANY coats. I pray that I can finish this part of the project before school starts. I had also wanted to paint the remainder of my living room ,dining room and hallway (tan, NOT burgundy), but am not sure that I have enough stamina required. What was I thinking????

MT
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 02:16
Hi!
Well, the childside of my personality made me do it.I'm reading the Harry Potter books! I'm on the third one now ''The prisoner of Azkaban"". I think it is well written,it makes you laugh, smile it makes you sad sometimes.I'm planning to read them all because the last book will be on the market on the 21st of july and I have to know how it will end.Do you read children litterature? I find it refreshing to explore this side of litterature.Don't you?

SWABBY; I would like to read some of your stories.Are you the 21st century Dickens?Oh,you like your funny name hein?

CELEBRIAN;I don't know you but will be happy to.Glad you are getting better

MS; What is HA?

AWELYN;Have a great thursday

Bisous bisous everyone
Dimple.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 06:08
Sorry that you're feeling poorly, celebrian.( Here's some athelas to help get you back on your feet sooner. Listening to the eltic band Mithril (www.mithril.us ) helps me.

HA is henneth-annun, Dimple, a site that has stories of Middle earth written by fans. Sindy as several hosted there and I recommend them highly. You can find her by searching the listing of authors. She goes by sindarinelvish. www.henneth-annun.net is the place to go!

Going to lunch with a friend and lazing the day away afterwards. Life is good! Hope each one of you finds a bit of fun, joy and love in your day.

MT
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 08:25
I've learned that red toned paints take MANY coats.

MT: Oh, I learned that lesson the hard way! We painted a kitchen red and white. The walls were red and the cabinets were white. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was a VERY small kitchen...a one-butt kitchen would just about describe it, but even though it was small it took two gallons of the red to cover it. I do have another painting project looming though. The upstairs bathroom is still the dreaded realtor beige. It's crying out for color. Unfortunately it has several tones of blues and whatnot, and blues are notoriously hard to match. So, yellow it is! It's got a rubber duck theme going... :rolleyes: ...so yellow works. A nice yellow though...not screaming yellow. The cabinet in there needs to be repainted as well. I had planned to have that done by the time my son got home...Nope, not gonna happen as he's getting home next Friday.

Dimple: I'm SO glad you found your way to Harry Potter! I absolutely LOVE HP. I've watched so many children start to love to read by first picking up Harry. Plus I'm a fantasy geek, so that helps as well.

Happy Summer all! It has truly arrived here on the PoG. Not only is it hot and sticky, I can't get out of my driveway because the road crews have it blocked off doing patch work. Oh, well. I'll just stay home and read. Life is SO challenging at times.

I found a "Test Your Tolkien Knowledge" site. You can look here to test your knowledge. I got a chuckle out of it. Plus there is a link on the main page that has neat art that reminds me of ME.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 09:41
On the motorbike theme, NenyaGold sent me some unusual mailbox pics. These were two I thought might raise a smile.

Image and Image

This one is 'Alien' made completely from motorbike parts. It's outside a Bikers Pub in a local town near Manchester that Magoleth and I passed by on one of our days out. I was amazed!!

Your Kitchen sounds super, scots, and yellow for a Bathroom would work. Kind of like a 'sunshine corner'.

Hope you have recovered from your jazzercising, MT.

Just can't get the urge to read HP. Maybe one day.

Hugs to those I haven't mentioned. Hope you are all hunky dory.

Rose xx

[Edited on 22/6/2007 by Rosearialelven]
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 11:39
Yes folks … you should definitely read Sindi’s stories on the Henneth Annun site. I love them. I took the plunge recently and submitted my Elanor poem “Return of Light” to their reviewers. It was passed and is on the site with a blue star beside it. I was stunned. I expected them to slam it. BTW, with all these writiers, I was expecting to see more FoF entries to the Realms Poetry Contest #5. Too late now. We’re into the voting. There were so few entries there’ll only be the one round.

Neenime: I have decided to go to Oxonmoot in September. I wonder if any other CoE people will be there.

Dimple: I love history. My favourite English King is probably Alfred. A very human, deep-thinking man.

Another busy fortnight for me. It took me a couple of days to recover after my trip south. I seemed to have a lot of laundry. Did I really wear all that stuff in two days? By the time I’d got myself sorted out, restocked the fridge and been into town for a haircut, it was Thursday. Andrew, my dentist, rang to say the Friday folk sing-around at Ipstones had been cancelled due to a hen-night at the pub. Otherwise he’d have driven over to fetch me, and brought me back afterwards. It’s a long trip, so it’s very kind of him. I can’t stay with them at present because they have his 87-year-old mother-in-law living with them.

Never mind, since I needn’t spend time on voice warm-ups etc I could finish off a few things around here. NOT! At 4:30 Friday afternoon, Andrew rang to say the evening had been rescheduled at another pub in Cheddleton, and he’d be over in two hours to collect me. Three songs please! So I drank a pint of water to rehydreate myself, did a warm-up, changed, chose songs and was ready for 6:30. I did one English one, “Go From My Window”, (a very old lyrical version) and two Scottish “The Laird o’ the Dainty Doon-bye” and “My Son David” (Oh what is that blood upon your sword? Etc etc.) We had a wet and foggy journey back at midnight with lanes flooded after heavy rain. I slept well I can tell you!

On Saturday I went to see Ron, who is now in the special stroke unit, and although he’s still very poorly he’s more positive, which cheered Anne up no end. He’s having intensive physio and is at least able to sit up straight for a few minutes without support. Still a long way to go.

Last night’s meeting went fine and we’ve selected the readings about famous Derbyshire ladies. I now have the job of editing them, timing them and persuading appropriate readers to take part. That’s for the “Evening of Praise” on the opening weekend of our well-dressing in mid-August. Tomorrow morning I’ve a meeting with the maestro and others about the Variety show we always do on the Thursday. That’s when I use my ‘other’ voice. The maestro has dared me to do the Habanera from Carmen … No chance. I’ll probably do “Bali Hai” for one, but can’t think what else at the moment.

So there we are. That’s me more or less up to date. Good to see you Brandy and Rose and Celebrian. Take care Swabby and Awelyn. Hugs all round. :hug: :hug:
awelyn418
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 04:58
cirdaneth,your life is so full. I am a history buff myself and I love that song Bali Hai. Oh ,I guess I did not pay attention or I would have sent a poem for the contest. If there is another I promise I will..

Rose the photos made me smile and the Alien built from the motor cycle parts were just amazing. Whoever did it was very talented.

Scots I love a pretty yellow. I have had my kitchen yellow twice. It is now red with apples and roosters. The test made me a smile.

Yes I agree MTMS that Sindy's stories are just great. The deck will be complete when my husband puts the banister on the steps. It looks so good. Yes I will feel better after I see the doctor. I hope he can put my mind at ease.

Dimple I read children's books. Little Women, Harry Potter . My favorites are sci-fi. Thank you Dimple I did have a great Thursday.

Hello Celebrian I am so sorry that you were not well. I am glad you are feeling better. It was good to hear from you.

brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 05:26
On Camping: Here in Idaho up in the mountains in June: It's freezing at night and cold during the day. I only took my sweatshirt off a few times. Awelyn-We didn't spend much time in the tent. Only to sleep and dress. We spent all our time outside or in the lodge called Gilwell Hall. It's named after a field in the UK. Boy Scouts got it's start there with Sir Robert Baden Powell. It was a Boy Scout training for leaders of boys and young men. Minas Tirith-I did freeze my patootie, unfortunaletly not a significant amount of it. I still have most of the patootie I left with. Had to shower during the day to avoid being a popsicle. I only showered 2 times in a week, it was that chilly.

Hello to everyone else. Don't have a bunch of time to write as the hubby is home and we are ready to sup.
Later,
Brandywine
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 02:20
Hi!

MT; Thanks for the information of HA.Everybody is enjoying Sindy's storiesI must read them!

SCOTS;Today I'm on the fourth HP, ''The goblet of fire"".Glad tou love HP too

CIRNADETH;I would love to hear you sing,but unfortunately I can't That song from Carmen,is it from the opera?
You have a very busy and rewarding life,wonderful

AWELYN;Oh I love rooster! I don't know there is something about them.:country,farming.When I was little I wanted to be a farmer and live in a big farming house with many children and chickens and roosters.Silly me

I'll probably have a busy week-end gardening, I must finish my transplantations otherwise I will have to wait later during the summer,after blooming and flowering

Have a great week-end everyone :heart:
Dimple
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 03:24
Was up late last night visiting with my adult children. THey are more fun when they grow up.

I love my kids:heart:

Brandywine
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 07:03
Happy Friday to you all! Life has been busy as ever with spending so much time outside. How I love this time of the year with the warm sunshine and yet some cool breezes here. I marvel daily at the beauty of the lake, sky and scenery here. It is like God is painting a new masterpiece to view each day. We are still house hunting so it won't last forever...but savoring it all just the same.

Sindy, you hit the nail on the head so to speak when you said crunchy in Ohio. I'm assuming you mean those pesky bugs that come here from Canada. They were not as bad this year at home but where hubby works in MI they were inches deep. I've wanted to learn more Elvish also but it is like you said there are such experts that know so much more than I'll ever be able to remember or want to learn. And I'm definitely on the beginner level, lol! Do you ever get up this way to the Islands or Cedar Point?

Thanks for the response regarding The Children of Hurin, Neenime. I do have the book but have not finished it yet. Wouldn't it be great to have one of those photographic minds where we could recall exactly what we had read or seen? Unfortunately, my mind is going the other way!

Awelyn, hope your recovery speeds along faster. I think that would be the hardest part waiting for the body to heal. Our minds tend to want instant healing like once the surgery is done we should feel all better.

Can clearly envision us on Swabby's bike, also, MT. I dearly love riding although it is a rare thing these days. Enjoy those opportunities when they arise!

Have to go to Sandusky today so had better get moving. I'm such a slow poke in the mornings. Happy Summer to everyone, it was officially the day yesterday. :heart: :hug:
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 07:07
I would never put a mis-behaving shieldmaiden in "time out" MT. In fact, you and Mith could act up all you wanted and I'd let you just as long as you didn't try to change out of your prescribed motorcycle training uniforms. Yes, they are made from black leather and are intended to allow the eager student maximum freedom of movement whilst getting a tan. Why do you ask?

Those are some interesting pictures, Rose. I especially like the "Alien".

How about that English fellow who was an undiscovered opera star? Isn't that a great story? I'm very happy for him. Think he'll get his teeth fixed?

Have a great Friday everyone! Swabby
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 12:32
Scots wrote: Cirdaneth: It seems like you lead a quiet life until you start to put pen to paper. Or in this case, fingers to keyboard.
It’s funny, but I seem fated to an all-or-nothing kind of life. It’s always been like that. Everything on hold for months or years on end. Everyone too busy even for a cup of coffee, then suddenly the world and his dog are at my door, and my feet don’t touch the ground for a while. Then all the activity subsides as fast as it began. Weird. … or probably ‘wyrd’.
Awelyn wrote: cirdaneth,your life is so full. You also were with family that you love and nothing can take the place of that experience.
You can say that again! And yes Scots, 'proud fit to burst’ is about right. You have no idea what a miracle it all is for me. Something I thought would never be. It’s a strange story, but I need to finish telling about my life with Calar before I start on that.

Dimple: Yes the Habanera is from the opera. The first line in English is “Love will like a wild birdling fly” Perhaps you know the one I mean. However, I am not Maria Callas and anyway, I’m almost 65 and might look a bit silly as Carmen. :blush: I’ll stick to the broadway shows, blues and popular standards.

My great love is the old traditional ballads and folk songs. Long ago I earned part of my living singing them. After the early 70s I didn’t sing at all for 25 years. I had been hurt and hid myself away. I didn't even sing around the house. Eventually I started doing the pop and broadway stuff here in the village. They just wheel me out once a year. There are no other opportunities, so I spend weeks reviving my voice. A few months ago my dentist persuaded me to sing at his folk club. It felt very strange to be doing that material again. It was even longer since I’d sung any, 35 years in fact, and I wasn’t sure I still had my ‘folk’ voice. So anyway, last week was only the second time, but it went down OK.

Time for bed … nighty-night :hug:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2007 02:02
Cirdaneth: I admire you getting out there and singing. In my good dreams I find myself being able to play a piano and sing without hurting the cat's ears. I'm glad you found your voice after all those years of silence.

An interesting development on the PoG today. My son called and talked to his dad. I was sitting outside on the porch reading while it rained. My in-laws have both passed away, and we have their wedding rings. We told him that he could have his grandmother's ring to give to his new wife. That offer has never been taken up. Until tonight. He called requesting pictures of the rings. Hmmmmm I asked his dad if he had any news to tell us. He hadn't asked. MEN! Man, they just need to come out and ask. So I took pictures and sent them along to him just now. I called and told him that they were on their way. Then I asked if there was any news that he wanted to share with us. He said no, he was just looking. Again...hmmmmmmm Will update further as developments develop...for lack of a better phrase. LOL

[Edited on 23/6/2007 by scots56]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2007 01:13
Mae govannen , my friends. I forgot to click "Receive e-mail notification" for the new thread, so I have been away from you. Now, however, I a free to visit, as I have started 2 weeks of vacation Yippee! :disco:

Had a blast with the other Companions of the Quest last night (my ring-Sisters). We went to see Shrek the Third and it was a shriek! Here we were, 3 middle-aged women and a young lady in her 20's laughing and guffawing in a theater full of little kiddies and their parents. All the adult references and one-liners were very entertaining.

Then it was off for coffee and visiting. We have decided to form a "smial" within the Tolkien Society. I will be preparing a short entry about it for the next installment of Amon Hen . We are also considering hosting a Tolkien Reading Day at the local library next year. That should be fun.

Jesus is coming but he's not bringing the rent cheque
Well said, Sindy. How sad that this young man, perhaps attempting to be devoted to his faith has , as Gandalf put it "abandoned reason for madness." I do hope he wakes up soon.

Wel, it's pouring rain here today. That's OK, will stay in bed for a bit longer and then it's off to buy groceries and to choose paint and flooring for #3 son's room.

Have a safe and happy day, all. Will respond to other posts later.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email