Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Post The Legacy of Ivriniel OOC
on: November 16, 2007 03:52
After rereading some parts of the Return of the King, I got this idea to start a thread based on a minor character that we really know nothing about. Imrahil of Dol Amroth had an older sister, Ivriniel, but Tolkien never really tells us much about her. My thread is going to be about her descendants and how they fare in the time when Eldarion is king in Minas Tirith, and Alphros, son of Elphir, son of Imrahil, is the prince of Dol Amroth. The title is in the works right now, so if anyone has a better one, please let me know.

Rhîwenil is the daughter of Hingel, the grandson of Ivriniel and Targath, her husband (whom I have made up). Hingel is a scholar especially interested in the history of Middle-Earth and of his family. While he is related to the throne of Dol Amroth, he does not wish to engage in any sort of politics. He and Rhîwenil prefer to keep to their books and discuss what has been written. They live in the town of Linhir, which is placed at the joining of the Rivers Serni and Gilrain, right before the rivers reach the sea. And, at the beginning of the thread (which I will post as soon as I generate enough interest), Rhîwenil returns from a trip to Belfalas to visit relatives, who give her more information on her family and give her a book to give to Hingel about an obsolete branch of their family.

While I don’t know for sure where this thread is going to go, I would like to have Rhîwenil engage in some intellectual pursuit. Battles might be a part of this thread, but they shouldn’t become the most important thing. If anything, I would like Rhîwenil to take to sea again, and an interesting plotline that I haven’t seen on this site yet is being lost at sea. Thus, a storm could be brewing, and either the ship could be wrecked on an island, or the people on board could lose sight of land and become lost. This could be a beginning to the story and whatever comes up afterwards is an adventure of its own.

If you are interested in joining, please abide by all the rules posted by the moderators of CoE. Realistic characters only please. No half-beings unless there is a separate plotline you would like to have for them, which, if you do, please run them by me first. Humans, dwarves, and elves are fine, though I would like to limit the number of elves. The reason for this is that during the Fourth Age, which is when this is set, many elves had left Middle-Earth for Valinor. And once there, they may not return. Therefore, please do not have your elf magically return to Middle-Earth. Sindarin elves may be your best option here. This would be a good opportunity if someone had a pirate-like character that they wanted to try out. If Rhîwenil ends up going to sea, then one possible idea is for a pirate attack (with more thought behind it obviously). Other than that, this has the possibility to go anywhere and anything can happen.

If you have any questions, ideas, or would like to join, please post in here or send me a pm. I try to get on at least every other day so I will be checking in on this soon. For now, I will not put up the first post (which is done) until I see how many people are interested. If there are two or three, then I will put it up as soon as I can. I hope we can make this work!

[Edited on 2/21/2010 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Legacy of Ivriniel OOC
on: November 16, 2007 04:06
I would love to join, perhaps as the captain of the ship? I love seafaring novels, so I could do some more research for all the "appropriate" commands LOL

-to a moderator- could women be a captain of a ship in ME? I don't want to play a guy...

Or, I could play as a decendant of Eowyn and Faramir, perhaps as their Grandson Boromir's daughter?
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 05:53
That would be great! I think a descendant of Faramir and Eowyn might work...and maybe it is possible she could be the captain of the ship at the same time (depends on what the mods say).

And research might not be the worst idea. I might have to reread some books I have that involve sea travel (namely some Brian Jacques novels).

In addition, here is a site with a nautical dictionary and a site with sayings and an additional dictionary: here or here .

(Note: if you use any songs or poems or something like that from either of these sites (other than words or phrases), please indicate you did. I don't want any plagiarism. Thank you!)

[Edited on 11/16/2007 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 05:56
This story sounds fascinating! I know I shouldn't join another RP...but this one is too tantalizing to resist.

I can play just about any type of character, so if a certain type is needed for this RP, let me know. Though I'll definately want to play a human, as I've been looking for an excuse to create one, preferably male. Perhaps I could play a sailor? I absolutely love the idea of pirates.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 06:02
A sailor would not be a bad idea at all, Maralyn. I'm thinking I might have to create one as well, just because I want to use nautical jargon. (Check the sites I've listed above. They are amazing!) Male is fine because if Rodwen decides to have a female captain (if it is permissible) then there could be tension between the two characters (maybe your charrie could be ambitious??)...

I really hope this can take off! So, I can put up the post if you would like right now.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 08:54
This is a rather interesting plotline, Din... Let me take it step by step.

1. No problem with it being 4th age as it gives you a fair amount of room for unknown chars and events.....little was written about the 4th age.

2. It is conceivably possible that a grandaughter of Faramir/Eowyn could be a sea captain, given her grandmother's 'shieldmaiden' background. Just a note....Boromir was unmarried so had no children or grandchildren.

3. Pirates?? Mmmm not so sure about that. Though I can see the Corsairs still being active after the WoTR in the south.

4. If you find yourselves shipwrecked, be sure the area you choose is somewhere on the map of Middle-Earth and uninhabited (as far as anyone knows from JRRT's writings). Could this shipwreck or landing have something to do with a mutiny...esp. with a female captain and a power hungry sailor? And what part would Rhiwenil play in this?

5. If Rhiwenil (sorry, too lazy to switch for accents) returns from Belfalas with a book for her father, why is she leaving again? Is it something in the book that she is investigating?

By the way, I love your nautical references....they should be very useful to all players.

I'd say go for it! I would recommend you begin it in TR though, Din. You have several very new players interested and maintaining TT status is difficult even for the experienced. *smiles* But that doesn't mean you can't keep it close to canon....look at Conquering the Helcaraxe thread.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 11:53
Thanks for the comments, Bereth, it really helps me when the mods put up their comments.

As far as Rhiwenil goes, I have the post ready, but I will revise it to suit the beginning. There will be a reason for her to have returned from Belfalas and why she is setting out again. What you point out makes sense, and I hope we can get this thread off the rocks.

I will look through the maps again and try to find a bit of land for them to land on...but could there be a smaller island off of the larger one (the name slips me...) that they could land on??

The corsair idea might work just as well...

I had planned on keeping it in TR because it seems many of our experienced rpgers are currently not here...

Thanks for the input and if there are any other questions from the threaders or comments from the mods, please let me know.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 01:43
There are a few islands up near the Gulf of Lune (Grey Havens) and there's also all that coastline between Dol Amroth and the Grey Havens as well (Harlindon, Minhiriath and Enedwaith). I suppose she could be traveling to the Grey Havens to search for whatever she and her dad read in the book about long lost family members .. or something. *grins*

But have fun and check out the maps here in CoE to see what looks good. I think you were referring to Tol Falas but that's too well populated and too close to other main populations to qualify, I think.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2007 04:16
While I don't have a name for my character, yet, I will definately be playing as Faramir's Granddaughter. (would that maker her Boromir III's cousin or sister? I think I am going to play on the cousin side of it.) Any help with a name is appreciated. She will be the captain of the ship, (thanks Ber!) and possibly visiting her cousins several times removed... (Since Eomer married Imrahil's daughter, that would give them a distant relation)

We have a name for our ship! Presenting, (drum roll please...) Ninglor! Her name means "golden water flower" and I thought that was so beautiful that I had to use it! She is a small, two-masted ship. I may try to draw her at a later date... hmmm.... Still working on the story for how she got the ship in the first place, since disguising as a guy is cliche!

I have done some elvish research and found some sindarin terms that might be useful:

fathom (six feet- a depth measurement) = raew
water vessel (not a boat, but a holder, like a barrel) = calph
seafoam/mist = ros
ocean/great sea = gaeron or aearon
seaweed = gaeruil
boat = lunt
ship = cair
shipbuilder = ceirdan or cirdan
sailor = cirion
captain (literally, sailor-master) = cirionhir
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 17, 2007 05:42
Thanks for the elvish nautical jargon lol, Rodwen! I really am excited about this thread. I will have the post up on Monday for sure, after a bit of tweaking.

I had thought the island was Tol Falas, but it didn't sound right at the time, but even if we make them go past Dol Amroth and such, that would be amazing to discover what we hadn't discovered before!

I like the name of the ship. I can do some more research on the various kinds and then you can decide what kind you would want it to be, Rodwen. And for the family thing, maybe your charrie and mine could be doing some studying on a family rumor...not sure what yet, but I can include that in the first post.

Hmmm, keep the ideas flowing!

And thanks to Ber for her input!
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2007 05:45
I have a name for my character, Merides, and you can see her here

I have also been researching medieval ships, and realized that a two-master really wouldn't work. The ship I settled on for the Ninglor is a "cog" - a single masted ship, with a single floor hold and a passenger area in the stern (back). What I like so much about the cog is that it has a flat area in the bow (front) for firing arrows, catapult, etc. I got some pictures off of google, here here here and here

[Edited on 11/19/2007 by RodwenofRohan]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 03:48
I like the look of that...it is really neat and would seem to fit into the thread all right. I have the thread up and ready and let me know what you think. Off we go!
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 06:04
Could I join as a sailor on the ship? His name is Bafráim, and he has served with the Ninglor longer than Merides has commanded it. I'm not sure what his personality should be, though.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 10:36
I would love a supporter in the crew, with the intro that I have for Meri. First Mate, maybe? My first post is up soon!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 11:15
I think a supporting crew member would be great...maybe I can have one made up in there too, just to give a bit of variety.

I like the look of your post, Rodwen! I will wait for the others to post before I jump in again.
vyktori
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 12:07
Evenin' - is it too late for me to join? I read the description and plot outline and became very intrigued. I would love to be a supporting character, maybe a human? Let me know!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 12:28
It is never too late for someone to join. I have only put the thread up this morning, and we have only one other post up. Feel free to join as a human, or whatever you wish. Just please follow the guidelines as listed above, and if you have any questions, just ask. If you can put up a rough outline of your character, I would appreciate it. Welcome!
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 01:14
I apologize for not being involoved in this thread--my week has been full of deadlines and my character (still nameless) isn't even up yet. >.< Once he's created I'll do my best to fit him into the story.

Lovely posts so far!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 20, 2007 04:43
Anyone else, feel free to post whenever you can. Everything is ready to go!
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2007 04:07
I put in my post. Cheese.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 01:08
whose turn is it?
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 02:34
I believe it's my turn; however, I still haven't gotten my dratted character up yet, and I'm behind in everything. >.< You guys go on without me, and I'll enter my character when a suitable opening appears. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2007 01:38
Hello all. Thanks for letting me join, Dinenlasse.

I'll have my character up in the database soon. He's a ship's boy, called Gwalion but I'm not quite sure whether to make him good or bad.

OK. Such as he is, he's here

[Edited on 24/11/2007 by Hainima]

[Edited on 24/11/2007 by Hainima]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 26, 2007 04:16
Hey, everyone, sorry I've been out. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I have another post ready to go (prolly a bit of editing), but I will wait for others to post their introductory before I begin.

*I warn you, this next one is really long...*
Maralyn_Imladiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 03:37
I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out of this one. I've been in over my head with work lately, and I don't see how I can keep up my schedule plus be actively involved in another RP. My sincerest apologies. Good luck with the thread...I wish I could be keep up, truly I do!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 29, 2007 05:41
That's okay, Maralyn. I hope things work out for you.

(If I don't post within the next couple of days, I am going through a really hard time right now, but I will post soon.)
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2007 06:01
are you going to post before or after the ship comes in? because I can get the Ninglor there fast, if need be... (I am the captain, after all...)
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 02, 2007 07:37
Before. I am introducing another character into the thread, a friend of my charrie's named Aerith. He signed on for the ship, and he convinces Rhiwenil to accompany him. There might be something of a romance between them, as will be indicated in the thread. I will post sometime this week, I promise. Things are turning for the worse in my life and I am trying to breath one day at a time.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 03:51
*Bump* I have the new post in. Take a gander and maybe the thread will be able to move along.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 06:32
I am having trouble keeping Meri from being a Mary-Sue, any thoughts? I am thinking maybe she is witty, but unsure of herself... like a "can I/ Did I really do this?" type thing... I don't want an anger problem- Nori, my dwarf character has that, and Freawyn, my other human character, has a sharp tongue... I need a flaw for Merides!!!!! HELP!!!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 12:51
Maybe because she is the granddaughter of Eowyn, Merides could have some sort of arrogance about her heritage. Perhaps Rhiwenil and her could have conflicting emotions (not being presumptuous that Mer would be arrogant). Just a thought.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 06:57
Arrogance and overconfidence, I'd think. Look at how she got the ship- she probably feels invincible right now... or insecure. I think she might use Rhiwenil for a confidante, rather than an enemy... LOL what about if she butted heads with Aerith? Especially if he likes Rhiw as much as it seems...

Do you want me to get the ship there quickly, or leave room for on-board conflict/storyline- several more posts? I'll post after I get your answer.
Rodwen
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 03:49
Um, I can leave that up to you. I think if you wanted more conflict on board that is fine, but if you dock soon, then we can meet up sooner. I like the idea of you coming right away, if in one or two more posts. I like the idea also of the conflict with Aerith...and the one with Rhiw as the confidante. It makes sense.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 02:44
A'right, it's done. We shall dock... whenever Bafraim and Tump are updated, I guess... We'll see!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2007 11:52
Great posts everyone! Now we just have to wait for Hainima and then I will post again.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email