Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Post The Legacy of Ivriniel
on: November 19, 2007 03:52
The crying of the gulls as they floated on warm swells of air was the sound of home for the windswept maiden. She pulled her three-cornered hat low over her eyes and stepped off of the gangplank onto firm ground. She stumbled forward a step but managed to steady herself. The crowds of people surrounding the docked galleon shoved her back as they pressed forward to find loved ones. Their cries mingled with the gulls’ keening into a loud cacophony of noise. Wanting nothing more than a quiet room, she grabbed the top of her hat to keep it from falling off and elbowed her way through the masses of people, young and old, rich and poor. Glancing once back over her shoulder at the vessel that had been her home for the past year, she sighed sadly and hurried on her way.

Her destination was that of an inn, the little-known Heathens’ Harrow. The ne’er-do-wells of the city gathered here in discourse, swigging ale, mead, beer, whatever was the special in the house. Today it seemed to be a nut-brown concoction called November ale, a thick spiced affair flavored with apples and pumpkin. She sidled up to the counter and slapped her hand. A burly stout man with a ruddy complexion stomped over and huffed, “Aye, what’ll ‘t be fer ye?” He wiped his nose unceremoniously on his sleeve, leaving a streak of grime on his face.

Trying hard not to recoil in disgust, the girl replied, “Ale, bread, and cheese.” She thrust a silver coin onto the counter. Greedily, the barkeeper snatched it up and put an edge of it into his mouth. Biting it down and seeing that it did not bend, thus proving it was real silver, he pocketed it and replied, “Right away.”

When he turned away, she swallowed the bile that had gathered in her throat. Casting around, her eyes landed on some of the more ‘respectable’ men in the tavern. They were playing a game of sorts with cards, flipping them up and down and calling bids. She watched with curiosity until the barkeeper returned with her food and drink. “’Ere ye go,” he muttered in his gruff voice. “I ‘opes it settles yer stummick, ye seem a bit green in the face.”

“’Tis nothin’ more than the seasickness,” she returned in an equally gruff voice, trying to mask the fact of her gender.

“Ye from the Swan’s Wing?” he inquired, leaning on one elbow and peering up at her face.

She turned away to hide her face. “Nah, jist the Galloway.”

His face registered surprise, and his eyes widened. “Tha’ ol’ leakbucket? I thought tha’ un sank a long time ago.”

She shook her head. “Nah, she’s as seaworthy as a fish and sleek as an otter. ‘Tis a good vessel.”

“Storms get ‘er at all?”

“Some as we was comin’ into port last night, but everythin’ else was fair.”

“Well, I ‘ope when ye set out agin, the weather’ll be fair yet.”

“Thank you,” she muttered as the man went away to attend to more business.

Grabbing her wooden plate, she moved away from the bar and sought a quiet corner. Devouring her coarse fare hungrily, she hardly paid notice to anything else in the tavern. After a few minutes, she became aware of a rather plump looking woman watching her. Her bosom was bulging out of a low-cut bodice, and there was an unpleasant smell of something musky about her. She eyed the girl hungrily and muttered in a husky voice, “You must have had a long journey, my good man. Surely you can use some company.”

The girl stood up hastily and remarked, “I am not who you think I am. Go back to the brothel where you belong.”

The woman glared at the girl and pulled back a hand to slap her. “You impudent wench!”

Reaching behind her, the girl pulled out a dagger. “Don’t touch me.” She shoved the older woman out of her way, and downing the ale in one gulp, she threw it at her. The tankard hit the woman in the head, and she fell into the seat, cursing the girl mightily. Instinct told the girl to leave, and without a second thought, she hustled out of the bar before something worse happened.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out on the dirty cobblestone streets of the prosperous port of Linhir, a small city on the conjunction of the Rivers Serni and Gilrain in Lebennin, the girl Rhîwenil tried to get her bearings. The Heathens’ Harrow was right on the edge of the seaside Linhir. Her home was roughly a half-mile northeast, heading along the River Gilrain. Her father Hingel was a scholar, lately come to Linhir to research the history of their family. He was a descendant of the late lord of Dol Amroth, Adrahil, through his daughter Ivriniel. Her grandfather, Gwahir, was the son of Ivriniel and her husband, a man of Minas Tirith named Targath. And though they were related to the present lord of Dol Amroth, Alphros, grandson of Imrahil, her father never claimed any power or used the prince to forward any ambitions. Her father was a man of the mind, preferring to keep to himself and his books rather than the glamour of court. Rhîwenil was the same way; being noble was far from her mind. Instead, she loved traveling by sea around the southern coast of Gondor, meeting different people and learning their cultures and dialects. She was well-versed in the tongues of Gondor and Rohan, and even knew a touch of Sindarin. Her name was Sindarin-derived even. ‘Rhîwenil’ was taken from the Sindarin words for winter and lady. She was called thus because her eyes were a piercing grey-blue and seemed almost cold when she was angry. Instead of calling her winter-eyes, or Rhîwhendu, Hingel decided Rhîwenil sounded fairer.

Hingel encouraged his daughter to travel, though she was only nineteen. He felt that the more experienced she was in the ways of the road, the wiser she would be. And thus far, his inkling was true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhîwenil arrived at her father’s door and knocked gently, calling, “Father, it is me. I have returned from Belfalas.” The door opened, and she entered the room. It was dark, with only a few candles burning brightly from the wall. Numerous books lined shelves, and there was parchment covering almost every available surface. But to Rhîwenil, this room was her favorite, her father’s library. Here she could lose herself in the dusty annals of history and debate with her father about why the elves truly left Middle-Earth and how halflings came to be as short as they were. While Rhîwenil could match her father on many things, there was still so much he knew that she didn’t.

“Welcome back, Rhen,” Hingel said to his daughter, hugging her affectionately and pressing his lips to her brow. “How was your journey?”

“Interesting. I met with Grandfather’s kin, and they gave me a book that tells about some lost branch of their family. They thought that you would like it.”

“Indeed I do,” he said happily, proud and sure in his knowledge. This was a treasure for him.

Rhîwenil brought the book out, entitled The Line of Dol Amroth: From Ivriniel and Targath and Previous Kings, and gave it to her father. He clutched it to his chest protectively like a favorite child, and he sat in his favorite chair and brought a candle close by. Its golden light spilled over the yellowed pages, and the scent of old book filled the air.

Rhîwenil sighed happily. This was home: her father, his library, and the river coursing swiftly about twenty rod away. Nothing could be better but the sight and sound of the open sea.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"What was in there?" she asked him the next morning as she entered the library bleary-eyed but excited.

"A secret that I found that I want you to search out," her father replied, giving her a sly smile.

"And what is that, Father?"

"Take this book and find out for yourself. Set sail on the next ship bound for Dol Amroth and seek out our relatives again. Ask them about the Rhedhadin."

She cocked her head in wonder and pondered his words, for it seemed to her that a great adventure was going to be undertaken.

[Edited on 7/30/2009 by Dinenlasse]

[Edited on 2/21/2010 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Legacy of Ivriniel
on: November 19, 2007 11:09
"A bet is a bet, Captain Morion," Merides glared at the old sailor, her green eyes flashing with anger. "You bet the Ninglor that I could not complete my business deal with the elves of the Grey Havens, but I did, and to my profit, and yours. I bet my profits, you bet the ship."

The bearded captain glared right back at her. "I never meant nothin' 'bout no ship. I meant a ride on the ship. Ya know, free passage an' all."

Merides was seething by this point. This was the third time he had changed his story. "You promised her to me, Captain!" She spat out the title like a curse. "I have contacts in all the ports from Lindon to South Harad. Do you want it known that Captain Morion did not keep his word to a lady? Because, believe me, I can make it known far and wide. you will never get another job in any port for as long as you live. The Ninglor is mine."

Morion tried a whine, "But where'll I get me livelihood? You'll ruin me, girl! A sailor just can't make no living anywheres but the sea!"

Merides pointed to a sign across the street from the dock where they were anchored.

"Needed:
Good sailors to crew
Merchant ship
Leaving next week.
Good pay.
Experience Required."

"There you go, Morion. A job." Merides turned her back on him, as if she were above him, in both status and breeding. Which she was, in fact.

--- --- ---

Merides stood on deck, facing the crew. She stood as one accustomed to being on a ship, moving her body gently as the deck rocked slowly in the low tide. She wore a tunic of light rose, tan leggings, and short boots. Her unbound dirty-blond hair waved around her face in the light breeze, which she hoped gave her a commanding look. Her green eyes glinted in the light, taking on an almost aqua color as they reflected the crystal-clear waters of the Grey Havens. She loosened her sword belt, which hung at an angle, over her right shoulder to her waist on the left. This sword had been her grandmother's... It held special meaning to her.

She glared up and down the line of sailors, most of whom were taller than her. She knew the majority of them by sight, a few of them by name, and two or three really well. The test was to come, though. Cabin boys, crew, cook, first and second mates, they all looked... what was it? Resentful? No. Confused. As if they could not make up their minds, how to treat their new Captain. A girl, barely twenty-five.

"Men, you do not have to serve under my command," She began. "I give you full permission to leave at this moment, to go to the port of Grey Havens and seek another job there. Your previous captain has done this, rather than stay onboard after losing this ship in a poorly-placed bet. I give you this choice today: Stay with me, and we will seek our fortunes together. Any who do so will recieve an equal share in whatever profits come our way, including the extra profit we made today. Your other choice is to leave, with the wages you earned from this voyage. Know this, though: If you leave today, you will not be welcome to serve on the Ninglor as long as I am Captain. I want only a willing crew, not a grumbling lot who are here for money."

The crew split almost immediatly. The first mate, Bafraim, walked to Merides' right. One-third of the crew followed him. Thank Eru, the cook came with them. The second mate (she couldn't remember his name for the life of her) stayed where he was, with the rest of the crew.

--- --- ---

After the rest had left, Merides faced the remaining crew members. "Thank you. We sail at high tide for the port city of Linhir."
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2007 06:31
Bafraim was first mate of the Ninglor, and it was a post he mightily enjoyed. The power and the pay did not concern him, for they were but distractions in the life of a seafaring man. He merely loved to be able to ride the waves, drifting through the sea at the prow of his precious ship, without the slightest concern of being distracted. Whenever he wasn't tending to his duties, that is.

Right now, however, he was preparing the Ninglor for the new captain, Merides, who he mightily respected. The boat, carrying Merides, was now pulling along side the Ninglor, which was anchored one hundred yards off the piers to guard against disease and theft.

--- --- ---

“Welcome aboard, Cap’n. Welcome to the Ninglor.” Bafraim stood aside as Merides pulled herself up the ladder. He turned and walked to the front of the mass that was the crew.

"Men, you do not have to serve under my command," She began. "I give you full permission to leave at this moment, to go to the port of Grey Havens and seek another job there. Your previous captain has done this, rather than stay onboard after losing this ship in a poorly-placed bet. I give you this choice today: Stay with me, and we will seek our fortunes together. Any who do so will receive an equal share in whatever profits come our way, including the extra profit we made today. Your other choice is to leave, with the wages you earned from this voyage. Know this, though: If you leave today, you will not be welcome to serve on the Ninglor as long as I am Captain. I want only a willing crew, not a grumbling lot who are here for money."

Bafraim quickly walked to Merides right. It would be an honor to serve under Merides. She had surprised him with that little speech of hers, that was for sure.

After the rest had left, Merides faced the remaining crew members. "Thank you. We sail at high tide for the port city of Linhir."

Bafraim quickly checked the water level at the piers. Eru, it was almost time! “Loose the sails!”

[Edited on 6/1/2008 by elendil2]
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 11:58
Gwalion stood with the rest of the crew, listening to the words of the new captain. He wasn't sorry to see the old one leave. Captain Morion had always been too ready with his belt, his fist or a rope's end. He wiped his nose on the back of his hand, scuffed his bare feet on the deck and watched his shipmates.

The Ninglor had been his home for a couple of years now. Before that, for as long as he could remember, he'd lived on shore with an old woman. After she died he'd had nowhere to go and had crept onto the ship one night, looking for shelter and somewhere to sleep. He'd woken up and found himself at sea. Captain Morion had beaten him and threatened to use him as fishbait or send him to Davy Jones' locker. The cook had stopped him and suggested putting the boy to work for his keep until the next port. By the time they reached port, Gwalion had made himself useful and managed to stay on board. Nobody said anything about him becoming a member of the crew and the boy was always afraid of being abandoned in some port.

Bafraim moved to join the new captain. The cook joined them. Gwalion hesitated then meandered over to stand with them. He looked at Merides. The look was half defiant. He squared his shoulders and tried to look as if he was a full member of the crew, not just a ship's boy. He'd show her. Besides she was offering money, a share in the profits and hadn't said anything about wanting only the men. Gwalion liked the thought of having money. Nobody ever gave him money. All his life he'd only been given food, cast off clothes and somewhere to sleep. He hoped he could trust the new captain. He'd found he couldn't trust the old one as far as he could spit a rat. Morion had always promised to pay him, then found some excuse. In return, the boy had sometimes helped himself to things from the cargo or coins from the captain's purse.

The other men climbed into the waiting boats and headed for the shore. Bafraim gave the order to loose the sails and Gwalion moved off with the other crew members as they started climbing up the rigging. He paused to wipe his nose again. One of the sailors gave him a shove, "Get up there, Tump, ye lazy lump. New cap'n wanted men so tha've a man's work t'do now. I doubt tha'll stand to it. If she bested Cap'n Morion she's a wily 'un and won't be fooled by your tricks." The ship was short-handed now, that meant he'd have to work with the men. He started climbing the rope ladder up the mast.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 03:50
“Rhedhadin?” she repeated, getting her tongue smoothly around the tricky dh sound; instead of pronouncing it as two separate letters, the dh combined to form a soft th sound, thus ‘RAY-theh-din’ versus ‘red-HAD-din.’ “What does that mean?” she inquired of Hingel, taking the book from him and running her hand over its leather binding, as if to ascertain the meaning of the unfamiliar word.

Her father smiled slightly, enjoying the secret. “It is an archaic word, derived from the Dol Amroth dialect of Sindarin speech, as taught to our forefathers by the elf Mithrellas. Its true meaning has been lost, but the closest thing I can come up with, using my resources,”-he gestured around at the many shelves lined with volumes-“is silent winter-elf.”

Rhîwenil furrowed her brows in thought and replied, “And what is it you wish for me to seek?”

“Find more about what it means to our family. My guess is that Rhedhadin refers to a companion or something of Mithrellas’. There have been stories of her companions being lost as she accompanied her husband to Belfalas. Perhaps Rhedhadin was one of those lost, and it is through her that our kins’ lineage has elven blood.”

Perplexed, Rhîwenil remained silent, pondering her father’s hypothesis. She knew the story of how Dol Amroth received its name, from the elf Amroth who plunged into the sea when his love Nimrodel was lost. Mithrellas had been one of her companions, and the lord of Belfalas took her to wife; it was through their son Galador that the line of princes of Dol Amroth were of elven descent. It made sense that another of Nimrodel’s companions could have married a man of Belfalas and a daughter of that line married into the royal line, thus her kin in Dol Amroth (from one of Imrahil’s sons) would have been descended from Rhedhadin and Mithrellas both. She flipped open to the page where a bookmark was placed. Her eyes read the lines and read between the lines, trying to discern any hidden meanings. It read:

It is no light thing that Rhedhadin came to settle in Dol Amroth. Such a fragile thing, but as beautiful as the evening star. As silver as the moon, but grey as the sea; green as an oak leaf, but blue as the sky. In the shape of what men call the fairest, there is nothing as precious as Rhedhadin that has graced the palace of our great Prince. In love with Rhedhadin he is, and is not willing to give it up to anyone, not even his descendants. Lost it was, but is now found.

“That is all that is mentioned of it in the book,” Hingel said. “In context, the passage is about the reign of Galador, but this talk about Rhedhadin does not make sense. His wife was named Enghlewine, not Rhedhadin.”

A thought struck Rhîwenil. A gem of her mother’s, given to her by Hingel when they wed, which had since been passed on to their daughter, seemed to fit the description of what was written in the book. “Father, I do not think Rhedhadin was a person. It appears to me this is describing a prominent piece of jewelry Galador owned.”

“And what gem is that, my daughter?” Hingel asked, not embittered at being told differently but genuinely curious.

“The one that belonged to Mother, the emerald and sapphire pendant you gave to her at your wedding.” Rhîwenil grasped the silver chain and pulled out the pendant. It was beautifully made, wrought of what looked like silver, with a leaf made by an emerald and a wave made by the sapphire, intertwined with more silver, casting a pale aura around it. “It is all too simple, but the description matches it perfectly.”

“But then why would it be called a ‘silent winter-elf’?” Hingel asked to no one in particular.

“That I do not know, but maybe it is that I can find out. How did it come down from Galador, and why did he regard it above anything else he owned? Indeed, in the passage, it is spoken of reverently but also direly.”

“Then, my daughter, you have your end in mind. Find out the history of the Rhedhadin, and what makes it so valuable. You might begin with our kin back in Dol Amroth, with your mother’s father, and see what he knows. But be warned, such a gem is then considered priceless, and there would be others who would prize such a thing. Thus, call it by another name until you reach Dol Amroth, even in writing. Nimloth, white flower, then no one will know what you are talking about.”

Rhîwenil inclined her head in deference, understanding the wisdom of her father’s words. “Nimloth it is, and Varda be willing, let us find out what importance this gem holds for our family.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The marketplace was full of stalls, their vendors calling out their goods and how much better theirs was than their neighbor’s. “Fresh fish from the Bay of Belfalas! Guaranteed to be fresher than anything else you have ever had the misfortune to eat!” “Quality cloth from Minas Tirith! In variant shades of green, blue, red, yellow, and even purple! Made of the softest wool you will ever find anywhere!” and so on and so forth. The noise rang in her ears as Rhîwenil fought the market goers in order to get to her destination, a shipyard about a quarter mile up from the Heathen’s Harrow.

Donning her three-cornered hat to avoid recognition, she dodged through the crowd and found herself in front of a large wooden building entitled Greeley and Sons. Reynard Greeley ran the shipyard with his two sons, Aerith and Iolcho. Having known Reynard ever since she was a young girl, she felt he would give her a fair deal on a ship, or at least he would know who would be coming into port within the next week or so.

She ducked through the door and avoided a cursory glance at Aerith, the elder son, who looked up from nailing shoes onto his horse to smile at his friend. Rhîwenil was fond of Aerith, but she never told him that in person. He was a sturdy fellow of twenty-three, with dark hair and heartbreakingly blue eyes. He had broad shoulders, broad chest, broad everything, but he moved with the grace of one confident in what he was doing, and was the kindest person Rhîwenil had ever met.

“Ah, Reni, what can I do for you today?” Reynard asked, stopping in mid-conversation with a client. He was a portly man, with an honest open face and a ready smile, just the sort of person one wanted to do business with.

“I was wondering if you could help me find a ship,” she answered, taking of her hat and shaking her dark hair free from its restraint. Fretting with it as she waited for Reynard to finish, Rhîwenil snuck a glance at Aerith from under her eyelashes. He had returned to shoeing his horse, a huge black beast that was worrying a bit. Holding her breath, Rhîwenil sauntered up to him and queried, “Where is it you’re going?”

Tapping in the last nail with his hammer, Aerith straightened his back (she heard a distinct crack) and turned his eyes to his friend. He replied, “Morchir and I are off to the docks. There is a shipment of wheat coming in, and they need an extra hand. You wouldn’t care to come with, would you?” he added, a twinkle in his eyes.

Blushing, Rhîwenil shook her head emphatically. “I would, but I have other business to attend to.” She nodded her head towards Reynard, who was speaking earnestly with his client. “And besides, I am physically incapable of lifting such a load as those crates.”

Aerith laughed pleasantly, causing Rhîwenil’s heart to leap. “Of course not. We couldn’t damage your complexion with the sun, now could we?” he mocked her gently. Rhîwenil was not known for being vain. “But I understand. They might even turn you away, not for you yourself, but because you are a woman.” he added seriously.

“And a good day to you as well,” Reynard said loudly, ushering his customer out the doors. He wiped his sweating brow with a cloth and turned his attention to Aerith and Rhîwenil. “And good riddance too. Never have I had such a tough customer. I told him three weeks minimum could we build such a ship, but oh no, he wants it in two. Impossible!”

“What kind of ship?” Rhîwenil asked, moving her gaze from son to father.

“Something of a cross between a schooner and a galleon. I told him that I can’t do both; it was one or the other.”

“And he wasn’t happy,” Aerith chimed in.

“That is putting it mildly.” He looked to the heavens for patience and heaved a sigh. “Now, my lass, what is it you wanted me to do for you?” He placed a fatherly hand on her shoulder.

Trusting Reynard and Aerith beyond all others, she relayed the strange passage and her purpose. “I seek to sail to Dol Amroth, as I said, and I was hoping you could tell me when the next ship leaves for Belfalas or if one was coming in anytime soon.”

Reynard looked astonished. “Didn’t you just arrive home yesterday, and you are seeking to leave again? What, are we that bad for you?” He chuckled and embraced Rhîwenil. “Just jokin’, lass. Here, let me tell you what I have.” He steered her away from Aerith and Morchir, towards the announcement board. “There are three ships leaving for Minas Tirith on the morrow, one leaving for Tol Falas in three days, one leaving for the Grey Havens in a week, and one bound for Dol Amroth in a fortnight,” he said, summarizing what was tacked onto the board. “Were you looking to hire on or are you just a passenger?”

“Either or. It is not as if I cannot lower myself to become a cabin boy…or girl,” Rhîwenil laughed, completely at ease with Reynard. “But anything goes. I just want to get to Belfalas in one piece.”

“Well, the Galloway is the one leaving for Dol Amroth, and the captain held you in high regard. He said he would take you on again in a heartbeat.”

“Only because he fancied me and would take me to his bed if he had half a chance,” she replied ominously, remembering the advances of the overly friendly captain.

Reynard spat in disgust. “The minds of some men.” He regained his composure quickly. “But there are two coming in from Belfalas within the next week, one from the Grey Havens by next full moon, and at least one from Osgiliath within a fortnight.”

“Well, I cannot foresee going on the Galloway again, for one,” Rhîwenil said, not unhappy, but unsure as to when she would leave. “The sooner I leave the better. Any indication as to where any of the incoming ships are headed?”

“Not a one, my dear.”

She bit her lip. What would she do? But then, Aerith came over to them, having finished tacking and shoeing his black. “What about the ship I’m signed for, the Ninglor? I’ll bet she would stop if but for a moment on the banks of Dol Amroth. I’ve heard tell she has a new captain, some granddaughter of Lord Faramir and Lady Éowyn, daughter of Elboron, not much older than either of us. Should be an interesting journey. Maybe you should sign on to that one.”

“When is she arriving here?” Reynard asked, eyeing his son apprehensively. He didn’t care for the fact the Ninglor’s captain was female, even if she was descended from greatness.

“Within the next week or two, I am thinking. But I don’t see why you shouldn’t come. She is a cousin of yours somehow anyway.” That would be true. If the captain was granddaughter of Faramir (son of Ivriniel’s sister Finduilas), who was nephew of Ivriniel, then they would be related in some distant way. “I will let you know when she docks, and you can decide if you wish to come. I for one would be happy if you ‘jumped ship’ with me.” He smiled at her shyly and grabbed the reins of his horse and left.

“He feels for you, my dear, if you haven’t guessed,” Reynard muttered to Rhîwenil, who was red in the face and watched Aerith leave. “And I believe you are the same way. But about the ship…” he tried to edge her back into the conversation.

“I will wait it out a week, and if I do not like what I find, then I can leave with the Galloway, and if the captain attempts anything, I have my daggers to speak for me.”

(I am sorry this is so long…the words and details kept coming, and I couldn’t stop. I have the idea with the Rhedhadin all sorted out. In short, Galador coveted it from his mother Mithrellas and took it from her. Instead of silver, it is made of mithril. The effect if had on him is similar to that of Isildur and the Ring, but not nearly as destructive. Galador’s obsession over the gem is just going to lead to the decline of his reign and his popularity with his people when he starts to neglect them. If anyone has other ideas, please let me know. Maybe there could be some jealousy over it when someone sees it on the ship. Maybe Merides knows something about it that no one else does. But at least the plotline is set, for now (though I think we still should have a mutiny or shipwreck or both). But we’ll have to see what happens.)

(And if anyone wants to know anymore about the story of Dol Amroth, there is a really thorough article in the encyclopedia detailing its history. I have tried to include what I could from memory.)

[Edited on 8/8/2008 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 12:18
What have I done? What was I thinking? Merides was plagued with doubts. Surely, she had outsmarted the previous captain of the Ninglor, establishing herself as captain in his place, but that was only because of a misjudgment on his part. Merides had little to do with it, in all actuality... The only reason she had a crew was because she had somehow impressed the first mate, Bafraim. The crew went with him, or so she thought.

Thank Eru for Bafraim. In her first week as captain, Bafraim had shown himself to be indispensable, worth his weight in mithril. He kept the crew on their toes, obeying her orders at every turn. A good man, to be certain.

She was concerned about some of the crew, however. The cabin boy- the one everyone called "Tump"- had no respect whatsoever. It hurt Merides to see one so young be so filled with spite. She wished to befriend him... he was just the age her younger brother would have been, if not for the sickness.

A sigh escaped her lips as Merides thought of her brother... she had raised him almost single-handedly. After his death, she had run, and founded a reputation as a shrewd merchant of the sea in the years following. Sorrow still overcame her at times, though.

---

Merides came on deck, squinting at the bright sunlight. They would dock at Linhir this afternoon. She wanted all to be in order for said docking. Her first entrance as captain should be with flair...

She was about to shout for Bafraim to assemble the crew, to have them make sure the Ninglor was spotless, but she was amazed to see it had already been done. The first mate was near at hand, apparently waiting to hear what she had to say. She scrambled to find something...

"Bafraim, the crew... the ship... can..." she faltered. "Can you get nothing wrong? The ship is... spotless. My thanks to you. Prepare us for docking. Soon we will see our port, if my calculations are correct."

At that moment, the lookout shouted that he saw the city. Merides nodded to Bafraim and walked to the bridge. Shouts of preparation filled the air. They were at their destination. Merides allowed herself a small smile of satisfaction.

The smile disappeared quickly, though, when she saw Tump- hiding behind some barrels. What was he up to? "Tump!" she called. "Come here. I have a job for you."
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2007 08:18
“Now, my good men,” Bafraim paced the deck of the Ninglor, with the crew arranged before him. “We all know that we’re coming into Linhir late this afternoon, correct?”
A murmur of assent swept the crew.
“Good. This will be the first time the Cap’n comes into port on this old wreck of a ship.” He grinned good-humoredly at the crew. “And I’m sure she would like to have the ship looking presentable, eh?” He paused in his stride. “So let us do it, before the Cap’n orders us to.” He stopped, considering. “And an extra ration of rum to the man who cleans the best!”
A roar of approval swept the crew.
“So lets get going!” he began issuing orders.

The deck had been swabbed, and everything was spotless. Bafraim scanned the area, trying to find a flaw in the crews’ job. No matter how hard he tried, he could find no problem.

Merides walked out on deck. Bafraim visibly saw her eyes widen as she took in her surroundings.

"Bafraim, the crew... the ship... can..." she faltered. "Can you get nothing wrong? The ship is... spotless. My thanks to you. Prepare us for docking. Soon we will see our port, if my calculations are correct."

“The pleasure is mine,” he said graciously.

At that moment, the lookout shouted that he saw the city. Merides nodded to Bafraim and walked to the bridge. Shouts of preparation filled the air. They were at their destination. Merides allowed herself a small smile of satisfaction.

“All right!” he bellowed, “Look lively, men! Lets make a fair presentation this time.” Under the last captain, the crew had been a motley bunch. The cap’n had given them to much spirits, in his opinion.

The Ninglor pulled aside the dock smoothly. The crew had done a perfect job.

“Cap’n?” he walked up to Merides. “What are you going to do with the crew tonight? You could release the into the town, but there’s always the possibility that they will get drunk and forget that they’re sailors. But if you make them stay here, the morale will go down, if you get my meaning.”
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 02:00
During the voyage, Gwalion had spent most of his time in the galley, helping the cook. Sometimes, when summoned, he came on deck and joined with the rest of the crew in manning the rigging. The rest of his time was spent hiding somewhere round the ship. He had found many hiding places. A particular favorite allowed him to eavesdrop on conversations in the captain's cabin.

As they approached land he came out onto the deck and stood, quietly watching.

When Bafraim gave the order to clean the ship Gwalion set to work with the rest of the crew. He fetched a mop and bucket, tied a rope to the handle of the bucket, swug it over the side to fill it with seawater and began to swab the decks, whistling a tune to himself. The tune was a bawdy song he'd learned from some of the crew. One of them joined in the song but another called out, “Don’ encourage him. He don’ know wha’ it means.” Gwalion looked at him, “Oh, yes I do!” he shouted back. The sailors laughed at him; one muttered something under his breath.

The other crew members were scrubbing and polishing the brass work, all eager to get the extra rum ration. Gwalion liked the rum - when he got a ration. It warmed him on cold days at sea. They didn't always let him have rum, saying it was no good wasting it on a boy and it would only make him sick. The first few times he'd had rum he'd hated the taste, he’d even been sick after the first mouthful but he was used to it now.

He finished swabbing the deck. They were coming into port now and he was tired. This was the stage in the voyage when he worried that this time they would put him ashore. He was tired of swabbing decks, tired of climbing ropes. Maybe he should go ashore and leave the ship. But then he’d have to find a new home. He could remember his life on shore. After the old woman died he’d never had enough to eat. At least on the ship the cook made sure he had food. He had to wait until the men had been taken their share but the cook always kept something back for him.

He sidled along the deck to a pile of barrels and wormed his way in behind them. He could hide here until he knew what the new captain’s rule would be about shore leave. Maybe she’d let them all go ashore. It meant most of the crew would come back too drunk to stand up. If he hid until they were in port he might be able to sneak ashore and pick up a few coins. If the captain went ashore maybe he could have a look round her cabin and see if there were any jewels or coins lying around. He knew a way to get into the captain’s cabin even if the door was locked.

Gwalion peered out from behind the barrels. The captain caught sight of him, "Tump!" she called. "Come here. I have a job for you."

The boy muttered a curse which he hoped the captain wouldn’t hear, then wriggled out from behind the barrels and made his way over to her, “Yes, Cap’n?” He shuffled his feet and looked up at her, wondering what the “job” would be.

[Edited on 13/12/2007 by Hainima]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 27, 2007 11:14
Rhîwenil stood on the jetty in Linhir's harbor, eyes forward intently on the horizon. The sun was low in the sky, its dying light reflected upon the rippling waves. A warm breze teased her dark hair. The sky was turning deep crimson shot with gold. Truly, there was no more beautiful a sight as a sunset over the sea.

A loud crash behind her startled Rhîwenil. Turning around, she watched two drunkards stumble out of the Heathen's Harrow, brawling and cursing mightily. The woman moved out of their way and remained silent. One staggered over to her and grabbed her arm, leering with a lascivious glint in his sunken eyes. "Ye look lonely, lass. Lemme tek ye sumwhere and ye'll not be lonely anymore," he said, pressing himself up against her.

Disgusted, Rhîwenil gathered saliva in her mouth and spat. At the same time, she twisted out of his grasp and shoved him into the other man. Pulling her hat low over her eyes, Rhîwenil hurried into the Heathen's Harrow. It was quiet tonight; there were only two or three other drunks, and the barkeeper wasn't harassed. He nodded at her courteously and went about his business.

Strange that this place should have the facade of respectfulness tonight, Rhîwenil mused, grasping the banister of a staircase and treading up the worn wooden stairs. Aerith had given her word that the ship, the Ninglor was docking in Linhir the next day. It was spotted at the mouth of the river, turning into the river. He wanted to meet her at the tavern tonight, but he had not shown up. Curious and knowing that this was unlike her friend, Rhîwenil decided to turn in for the night, not wanting to lose any sleep on this night above others, the night or two before departure.

----------------------------------------------------------

The next morning dawned bright, the sky a pure clear azure. Rhîwenil woke in high spirits. She crept down the stairs to see Aerith leaning against the bar, chatting away animatedly with the barkeeper. Her heart leapt into her throat, and the girl fought to breath. Her chest tightened, and she gasped. Reaching the bottom of the stairs with a thud, she alerted the barkeeper. "Morning, sir," she said politely, her gaze determinedly on the man, "might I get a glass of water or ale to wet my throat?"

The man nodded and left the counter. Aerith came up to her and muttered, "I apologize for leaving you here alone last night. My father needed help in the shop, and Iolcho was nowhere to be found."

"Sounds like him," Rhîwenil replied, the corner of her mouth lifting up in a smile. "But could it be he was down at the docks?"

Aerith laughed pleasantly and shook his head. The knot had started to loosen when Rhîwenil had talked, but now it tightened again. "No. He chooses not to help unless there is something in it for him. But he is only eighteen, and is really a good soul. Father is proud of him."

"And you?"

Aerith's face broke into a wide smile. "Of course. But he thinks it is time for me to settle down and find a wife. He wants me to take over the family business in a year or so, and in that sense, I would be tied down to Linhir. But I don't want that, Rhen; I want to travel and see the world before I settle." His voice dropped to a low tone, determined and somber.

"I am the same way. But Father tells me that to travel is to gain experience and knowledge, and that is what one needs in life. Settling can come later, now I must go."

"And that is why I signed on for this ship. I know not where she is bound, but if I leave, then I can see more of Gondor than just Linhir and up towards Minas Tirith."

"For my part, I am hoping this kin of mine, whoever she is, will take us to Dol Amroth so I might find out more about my...family secret." She had avoided the use of the word Rhehadin to even Aerith. The less it was said, the less anyone would be tempted to pry further. "But after this, depending on how long this journey takes, I will be ready to take a year and get my thoughts and resources together. I would like then to take a ship of my own and go west along the coast until I get to the Grey Havens. Between there, I will chart any unknown land masses that might not have been covered before." She stopped when she realized she was blushing.

Aerith laughed and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Then maybe that is a journey just the two of us could undergo."

Her eyes widened. Just as she was going to reply, the innkeeper came back with a glass of water and placed it in front of her. She took it in her shaking hand and tipped it to her mouth. The cool liquid slid down her dry throat. Rhîwenil thanked the man and stepped away from the bar. "I will just step outside and find out the status of our ship," she told Aerith. He nodded and began to carry on his conversation with the innkeeper again.

The air was a bit chilly when Rhîwenil stepped outside. She drew her cloak around her slender body and breathed in the tangy air. She loved the sea, there was no doubt about that. And when she saw the bright sail of an incoming ship, exhilaration filled her heart. Rhîwenil let out a joyful cry and approached the jetty, her steps brisk. Shading her eyes with a hand, she watched the ship slowly edge into the harbor, grand as a swan, and proud as a prince. Today was surely a joyous day. Today was the day she would set foot again on a shipdeck and step into her second life, her life at sea.

(I hope this post makes sense. I finished it at about 3:00 in the morning so it might not be the best...)
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 11:10
The Ninglor pulled aside the dock smoothly. The crew had done a perfect job.

“Cap’n?” he walked up to Merides. “What are you going to do with the crew tonight? You could release the into the town, but there’s always the possibility that they will get drunk and forget that they’re sailors. But if you make them stay here, the morale will go down, if you get my meaning.”

Merides smiled up at her first mate. She had thought of this, but was not sure how he would take her solution. "I will release them, Bafraim, but I will charge you with their care- Remind them that they are sailors of the Ninglor, the most respectable ship at sea, and must behave as such. The men respect you, Bafraim. They will follow your lead- if you keep to one or two drinks, as an example, they will do the same. If you show a sloppy lead, or find yourself with... certain women... they will do the same, while losing respect for you." She clapped him on the shoulder. "I know you will do a fine job. Don't let me down."

Merides smiled at Tump, who had come up to her during this conversation, after she had called. He stood there, looking nervous, and... angry? She could not see a reason for him to be upset, but, nevertheless, he looked so.
“Yes, Cap’n?” He shuffled his feet and looked up at her, wondering what the “job” would be.
She smiled at him in her most reassuring manner. "Your true name is Gwalion, is it not? As a sailor on my ship, and as one getting full pay, you will refer to yourself, and have the others refer to you, by your name. This demeaning nickname is not acceptable. You need a good job, to prove you are a man," She emphasized the word 'man,' and was satisfied to see his small chest puff with pride. "A man," she repeated, "of value to this crew. I am assigning you, and one other of Bafraim's choosing, to be the watchmen on the Ninglor tonight, while the rest are in town. The state of my ship upon my return will be indicative of your willingness to be a part of my crew. Are you up to the challenge?"

Merides believed there was good in everyone, and Gwalion was no exception, even though he seemed to be a handful. She noticed Bafraim's look of disapproval, but brushed it away. She wanted to trust Gwalion. He was going to turn out to be a fine young man, if she had anything to do with it. But she needed his respect, and that of the crew.

It was not an easy job, being captain of a crew of men, and she the only woman. How she longed for female companionship! Another woman to pour her heart out to... or at least, her frustrations with the sanitary habits of the men!

---------------------------

The cool air brushed the hair about her face as Merides watched the unloading of her wares to the dock. the trip had been most profitable, and it seemed that news of her ownership of the Ninglor had proceeded her. That could account for the stares she was getting from some of the men on the docks. Of course, her choice in clothing could also be the cause.

Meri wore a loose fitting tunic of pale blue- the color of a calm sea- above leggings of light brown ending inside knee-high boots. Her hair was bound in a loose braid, with tendrils of hair framing her face. The tunic was belted with a cloth belt of green, over which she hung her sword belt, running from right shoulder to left hip. The sword it contained had been her grandmother, Eowyn's, sword- the very one that had slain the Witch-King. It was naught but an heirloom, but it lent an air of strength to her demeanor as a whole.

Men were not the only ones staring at her, however. A slight young woman was also watching her intently. She was cloaked from head to toe, but her face, and the gem around her neck, shone brightly. Merides looked to see that all was secure and running smoothly, then approached the girl. "May I help you, young lady? I am Merides, the Cirionhir of the Ninglor." She encompassed the entire ship with a wave of her hand, then bowed slightly, grinning all the while, and seeing an answering smile from the girl.
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2007 05:05

Merides smiled up at her first mate. She had thought of this, but was not sure how he would take her solution. "I will release them, Bafraim, but I will charge you with their care- Remind them that they are sailors of the Ninglor, the most respectable ship at sea, and must behave as such. The men respect you, Bafraim. They will follow your lead- if you keep to one or two drinks, as an example, they will do the same. If you show a sloppy lead, or find yourself with... certain women... they will do the same, while losing respect for you." She clapped him on the shoulder. "I know you will do a fine job. Don't let me down."

“I won’t, Cap’n. You needn’t worry. They’ll be fine.” Bafraim began to walk away to tell the crew the pleasurable news. “Yes, Cap’n?” said a voice that he instantly recognized as Gwalion’s. He stopped and turned around. This he wanted to see.

She smiled at him in her most reassuring manner. "Your true name is Gwalion, is it not? As a sailor on my ship, and as one getting full pay, you will refer to yourself, and have the others refer to you, by your name. This demeaning nickname is not acceptable. You need a good job, to prove you are a man," She emphasized the word 'man,' and was satisfied to see his small chest puff with pride. "A man," she repeated, "of value to this crew.”

Bafraim smiled. The Captain was handling this well. She knew what she was doing. Morion would have sent everyone to the local pub. He probably would have accompanied them as well.

“I am assigning you, and one other of Bafraim's choosing, to be the watchmen on the Ninglor tonight, while the rest are in town. The state of my ship upon my return will be indicative of your willingness to be a part of my crew. Are you up to the challenge?"

What is she doing? Assigning Gwalion, the little thief, to watch duty? wondered Bafraim. This could be catastrophic. Gwalion would probably scamper away, and join the men in town.

As Gwalion left to go report to the captain of the watch, Bafraim pulled him aside. “If you try anything while I’m gone, I’ll personally skin you when I get back.” Gwalion nodded fearfully. “Very well. Remember that.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bafraim and the crew exited the ship immediately after the Captain. Noticing the stares she was getting from about a score of rough-looking men nearby, he gathered six of his most loyal and fierce men. These were his personal law-enforcement squad, loyal to him and Merides only. He used to use them to enforce the law onboard the Ninglor, when Morion was around, as he never did. And they were good at what they did.

He gathered them around him. “I don’t like the looks there men,” he indicated them, “are giving the Captain. Take care of them. Unobtrusively.” The men nodded. “Then, follow the captain and watch her. If anything comes up… Do it your way. Oh, and don’t let her notice you unless you have to. I would accompany you, but I have to be an example to the rest of the crew.” He handed each man a black cloak, a throwing knife, and a dagger. “Avoid killing if possible.” He nodded. “Get going.” The men donned the cloaks and spread out into the crowd. Bafraim turned and headed towards the pub.

The men quickly dispatched the troublesome men, by whacking them in the back of the head with the hilts of their daggers. After making sure the men would stay down, they slunk into the alleyways near Merides.
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2008 08:40
The breeze rustled gently through the leaves of the old Oak tree, and Elenduriel breathed a heavy sigh.
Alone at last, she thought to herself peering down at the hubbub of the harbour from her lofty perch, as she brushed a stray strand of chestnut hair from her ivory face.

Elenduriel had only arrived into the port of Dol Amroth three days previously but was already missing the solitude and peace of the dark wood she had made her home for the past decade or so. The harbour was filled with too many people and too much noise for her liking, she was used to walking alone among the roots of tall trees, not darting through bustling crowds.

The fair Elf-maiden put one arm delicately behind her head and stretched out along a mighty bough of the ancient tree, and hidden from view of the crowd below by the thick foliage, Elenduriel lowered her hood. She was tired and she ached from trying to blend in with the species of Men. She despised having to hide her pointed Elven-ears, and her shoulders and back suffered as Elenduriel had to stoop in order to disguise that she stood taller than some Men.

Long ago all, save for a handful, of her kin sailed away in their Elven ships to the Undying Lands never to return. But Elenduriel remained; she chose to stay behind here on Middle-Earth, to stay alone and hidden. It would not bode well for her to be discovered as an Elf in the time of Men. And so she has remained concealed since the first decade of the Fourth Age, mainly in her new home amongst the oldest of beings in Fangorn Forest.
Elenduriel was always an adventurous wood-Elf and journeyed from forest to forest during the Third Age, meeting her kin and learning from them. Now she had come to Dol Amroth, which was once a great Elven harbour where Elves of Lothlorien sailed in white ships to the Undying Lands until the death of the founding Elf-king Amroth in 1981 of the Third Age, and Elenduriel, having spent some years in Lorien learning of her blood-ties to them, traced the paths they would have trodden.
But no white ships there were now, only merchant vessels as Men quickly took over the port and turned it into a thriving harbour for business and trading for the realm of Gondor, once again under the banner of a King.

From the branches of the mighty Oak, Elenduriel continued to observe unseen the comings and goings of the harbour folk beneath. Above the din of the streets gulls could be heard, and it is often said that for an Elf to hear the cry of a gull it is to be the call of the sea. Elenduriel moved her Elven gaze out towards the cool blue water and with her keen eyesight watched the birds soar in the skies around the fishing boats.
Though I do not wish to leave here, for my heart will always belong to the forests of Middle-Earth, thought Elenduriel, I would like, just once, to stand on the deck of a ship and experience the thrill of a sea voyage.
And so Elenduriel scanned the rows of ships and boats moored in the harbour and those approaching from far off, thinking perhaps that she may stealthily obtain access to one.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2008 01:55
"Your true name is Gwalion, is it not? As a sailor on my ship, and as one getting full pay, you will refer to yourself, and have the others refer to you, by your name. This demeaning nickname is not acceptable. You need a good job, to prove you are a man," She emphasized the word 'man,' and was satisfied to see his small chest puff with pride. "A man," she repeated, "of value to this crew. I am assigning you, and one other of Bafraim's choosing, to be the watchmen on the Ninglor tonight, while the rest are in town. The state of my ship upon my return will be indicative of your willingness to be a part of my crew. Are you up to the challenge?"

Gwalion drew himself up to his full height and tried to look as important and reliable as he could.
"Aye, Cap'n. I'll keep an eye on the ship for you."
He walked off down the deck, in search of the captain of the watch but Bafraim caught hold of him by his arm.
“If you try anything while I’m gone, I’ll personally skin you when I get back.” Gwalion nodded fearfully. “Very well. Remember that.”

Gwalion found the sailor in charge of the watch; one of the first mate's chosen men. "Cap'n ordered me to help watch the ship. She says I'm a full member of the crew and I'm going to be paid like the rest of you." He grinned. The sailor glared at him and grunted, "Well, I suppose she knows what she's about. I'd not trust the ship to you, Tump. Still here you are and you're all I've got to help watch the ship. If you think you're up to a man's work you'd best show it. I'd rather be in the town with the others, not stuck here with a useless boy."
"She says I'm not to be called 'Tump' anymore. She says as Gwalion's my name, that's what I'm to be called now," the boy replied, wiping his nose on his hand.
The sailor spat over the side of the ship. "Tump you are, and Tump you'll always be. What's a beggar's brat like you doing with a fancy name like Gwalion anyhow?"

Before the boy could reply, they noticed the group of men on the dockside. Gwalion watched furtively as Bafraim’s men dealt with them. At least they wouldn’t be causing trouble for the Ninglor for a few hours. He concealed himself where he could see the shore without being seen from the dockside and watched. He saw the captain greet a young woman on the shore. His eyes were drawn to the jewel around the young woman’s neck. “That must be worth a good price,” he thought to himself.

He turned to the other sailor. “This port’s full of women,” he said. The man grinned, “Every port’s full of women. That one looks better than most you see though. If she tries to get aboard, you leave her to me, young Tump, just keep your eyes on the shore. D’ye hear? And not a word to the mate either, or I’ll slice yer ears. Course if she's with the Cap'n then we'll leave her be.”

The boy sniffed and looked round the ship to make sure there was no sign of trouble from the sea. All seemed quiet. The captain and the woman with the jewel had gone. He wished he could go and explore the ship and see what was lying around; but the captain had given him a job and he wanted to please her. She had been kind to him. As the cook had found, Gwalion reacted well to kindness. He would do as Merides asked; for now at least.

[Edited on 9/1/2008 by Hainima]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 13, 2008 01:02
Rhîwenil's gaze swept over the magnificent ship, perfect to her eye. It rose and dipped on the swells of the tide, its sails billowing out in the breeze. She took in all she could before turning her head to face the woman in front of her.

"May I help you, young lady? I am Merides, the Cirionhir of the Ninglor."

The corners of Rhîwenil's mouth lifted in a grin. "Mayhaps you can, my friend. I am Rhîwenil, daughter of Hingel, the prominent scholar in these regions. I am seeking a ship to Dol Amroth for purposes of my own and was told of this ship anchoring in our harbor. I believe we are akin to each other, the extent of which I will explain later, but for the meantime, I would walk with you. Did a man by the name of Aerith sign aboard to your knowledge?" Rhîwenil stared hard at Merides, trying to see the family resemblance between them both. From physical appearances, she noted the most the way they held their heads, proud and unafraid. Both seemed to fear nothing (or at least they were not willing to allow fear to show on their faces).

Almost as soon as the words came from her mouth, footsteps beside Rhîwenil caused her to glance over her shoulder. Aerith smiled at his friend, and then he saw the Ninglor. He whistled, and a glow lit up his eyes. "Rhen, this is the ship I was telling you about. The captain should be around hereabouts," he said, too distracted by the ship to notice the young woman in front of him.

Rhîwenil shook her head and placed a hand on his shoulder, drawing his gaze to the captain. "This is she, Aerith. Merides, she is called." Her breath caught in her chest as she stared at his side profile. Curse, Rhîwenil thought to herself, wrenching her hand away from his shoulder and dropping it to her side.

Aerith sized up the captain and nodded in approval, his piercing blue eyes taking in her stature. He was a head taller than she, but Merides maintained a more lofty composure. Aerith had the honest open face of a commoner, the face of his father. His showed plain amazement that the captain of such a fine ship as the Ninglor, but nevertheless was pleased with her overall countenance. "I am pleased to meet you. I trust your voyage was safe, cap'n?" A grin creased his face, and he bowed his head. "I am Aerith, in lieu of a more formal introduction. I have come to assist you with anything you require assistance with."

Rhîwenil fought the urge to laugh. The crowds of other villagers swarmed around them, jostling them left and right as they rushed to unload the ship of its cargo. "Come," Rhîwenil shouted to Merides and Aerith above the noise of the mass of people. "We need to find a safer haven than out here to talk about business. Follow me."

A mangy hand reached around her neck and groped for the pendant that hung on a silver chain. Grimy fingers covered her mouth and the beautiful gem. Startled but not afraid, Rhîwenil froze and stomped her foot on the man's foot, causing him to cry out in pain. Another man caught her and pinned both arms against her body. Aerith pushed another man aside and landed a blow on the man's face. Cursing mightily, he let go, blood streaming from his nose.

More and more men seemed to appear from within the crowd, their eyes intent on the jewel. Rhîwenil glanced at Merides and Aerith and knew they could not all take on the men. She broke the chain from around her neck and stowed the jewel inside her cloak, deep within the innermost pocket. Two other men grabbed her, one's eyes hot with lust, and he thrust his hand into her cloak. She struggled to throw them off, but they were too strong for her. Aerith punched another, and out of the blue, six other men surrounded them, but they did not look to take the Rhedhadin, Rhîwenil knew instinctively. Their eyes alit on Merides, and they bowed their heads in unison. The captain appeared baffled but proceeded to speak with them.

Aerith took Rhîwenil's hand and dragged her from the midst of the crowd. "What is going on?" he asked her, clearly perplexed. "Why were those men going for the gem?"

Rhîwenil thrust around in her cloak for the gem and clung to it tightly. "I told you the history," she whispered, afraid of being overheard. "It is a family heirloom, but I do not know its importance."

Aerith frowned thoughtfully. "Perhaps Merides will have answers for us."

Rhîwenil smiled ruefully. "I hope so."

(I hope bringing in Mer's men wasn't godmodding, but if it was, I will edit the post.)

[Edited on 1/13/2008 by Dinenlasse]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2008 06:04
Merides Liked the look and attitude of the young woman. She seemed friendly, but wary- her eyes kept darting around to take in all the port activity. Not much different than Meri's own behavior, to be precise. Perhaps they were not that different.
"Mayhap you can, my friend. I am Rhîwenil, daughter of Hingel, the prominent scholar in these regions. I am seeking a ship to Dol Amroth for purposes of my own and was told of this ship anchoring in our harbor. I believe we are akin to each other, the extent of which I will explain later, but for the meantime, I would walk with you. Did a man by the name of Aerith sign aboard to your knowledge?"
A kinswoman- now there was an unexpected surprise. Meri looked harder at Rhiwenil- there was not much resemblance, but for their presence. Perhaps later, she could delve deeper into this mystery, but for now- "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Rhiwenil. As a matter of fact, I had not yet determined a destination for our next voyage- Dol Amroth sounds lovely, however. I am quite willing to take you there. I had received word of several men signed on to my ship at this port, and yes, Aerith is one of them. Is there any reason you ask?"

The answer to her question strode up at that moment- A tall, broad-shouldered bear of a man, but still young- younger than Meri, at least.
"Rhen, this is the ship I was telling you about. The captain should be around hereabouts," he said, too distracted by the ship to notice the young woman in front of him. Rhîwenil shook her head and placed a hand on his shoulder, drawing his gaze to the captain. "This is she, Aerith. Merides, she is called." "I am pleased to meet you. I trust your voyage was safe, cap'n?" A grin creased his face, and he bowed his head. "I am Aerith, in lieu of a more formal introduction. I have come to assist you with anything you require assistance with."
Merides noted the amused demeanor of Rhiwenil, and surmised that Aerith was no threat whatsoever- perhaps a little slow, but no threat. The banter going on between them showed that they had known each other for some time- perhaps since childhood. Aerith's frank gaze was enough to unsettle her, however. Meri would need to establish her authority quickly with this one. She was not a woman to trifle with.

Just as they were about to walk off to a safer location, a gang of street urchins- and several older men- grabbed at both Rhen and Meri. Aerith made to fight them, but there were too many. Meri drew her short dagger, and used the flat end to place a few blows, and, for a moment, the men seemed to back off. Several of their attackers seemed to have their eyes on Rhen's gem- she quickly stowed it in a hidden pocket, Meri noted.

Meri glanced at Rhen, feeling a sense of camaraderie with the young girl. Unspoken thoughts seemed to pass between them. Their attackers were too strong, too many. They came again, when, suddenly, several of Bafraim's men appeared- as if out of nowhere! They used clubs and pins from the ship to knock heads, and quickly scattered the attackers. Meri and Rhen were safe- for now.

Meri watched in amazement as the six surrounded them in a protective barrier. They bowed their heads in respect- for once, her crew was showing some, Eru be praised!- and seemed to wait for orders. "I thank you, men. Who sent you in the nick of time?" They answered that it was Bafraim who had charged them with her care. For some reason, this information warmed her- she was cared for... And she liked it, for once.

She turned to Aerith and Rhen, who had walked a short distance away. "Shall we adjourn to my ship for the time being? It seems that would be the safest place in this moral-lacking port..."

elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2008 01:12
Bafraim was in an exceptionally good mood. And yes, this was out of the norm. Usually Bafraim was just in a “good” mood. Whatever the definition of that was. One of his men had reported to him with the news that the drunkards at the dock had physically attacked Merides, and two others, but they had intervened. Bafraim had clapped the man on the back and helped himself to the ale he had promised himself he would not be drinking.

---------------------------------------

Bafraim had not had the best night of his life, but that was to be expected, after to many ales. Add the fact that he had a headache, and it was no surprise he was in a right bad mood.

“Oh, the devil,” Bafraim muttered. Gwalion had not done anything disastrous during the night. Not like he would apologize, but still, he did not like to be wrong. There was a knock at his cabin door. “Damn,” he muttered. “What is it?” he asked, a little too loudly.

OOC: sorry for the length of the post.
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2008 02:33
A lone figure sat on the dock under the starlight, one delicate foot gently swinging with the midnight breeze that caressed her porcelain skin.
Elenduriel sighed wistfully as she gazed at the rippling reflections of the stars from the velvet sky above.

It was the middle of the night and the harbour of Dol Amroth was deserted; the dock at last still and peaceful. The only sounds were the gentle sloshing of the dark water upon the broad wooden hulls of the tethered ships, and from some far of inn muffled voices could be heard drunkenly chanting some vulgar sailors ditty.

Elen pulled her cloak about her slender shoulders and reached into a deep pocket and retrieved a gold brooch. It resembled a leaf, but none that any Man would recognise, for it was designed in the likeness of a Mallorn leaf, one of the great trees of Lothlorien. She touched it gently with a long finger, tracing the vein of the leaf and remembering back to the days when Middle-Earth belonged to the First-born, to the race of Elves, her kin.

Swiftly and silently Elen returned the brooch to the depths of her pocket, raised the hood of her cloak over her chestnut tresses and Elven ears, and sprang lightly to her feet poised, listening intently.

The voices from the tavern had ceased singing and were now getting louder as the drunkards swayed and stumbled their way home.
A couple of sailors began another verse as they staggered their route towards a particularly shabby looking ship.
As they approached the rickety gangplank one of the sailors thought he saw a flash of movement to his right and turned, but there was nothing but an empty harbour.

Elen slide noiselessly behind the great oak tree, which had become her home whilst dwelling in Dol Amroth. She watched the sailor shrug and head up the splintered plank behind his crewmates. With Elven grace Elen reached the large bough that was her bed, and heard a far off splash and shouting from the sailors’ ship.
Elen peered through the branches, bemused by the antics before her as she watched the inebriated crew trying to rescue their companion from the cool black water.

The dawn brought sunshine, cawing of the gulls, and the gradual build in the din of the harbour. Already the market traders were setting up stalls and the aroma of freshly baked bread filtered through the dense foliage of the oak.
Time for breakfast, thought Elen, peering through the leaves and catching a glimpse of far off sails of a sturdy ship approaching from the horizon.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2008 02:18
Gwalion watched the crew stagger back onto the ship. Bafraim seemed sober. The boy wondered if the mate would notice that the ship was safe, nobody had managed to get aboard, no damage had been done and nothing had been stolen. In fact, Gwalion had done as the captain had ordered. Even so, he didn't expect any thanks from the crew, far less an apology from Bafraim.

The cook seemed less drunk than many of the crew. He smiled at Gwalion, "Come, boy. I'll find you summat t'eat. We've all had our fill ashore. There's some broth in the galley."
Gwalion followed him into the galley and helped him build up the fire in the stove. The cook took a pot of broth and put it to heat. Gwalion sat in the galley, drinking the broth before settling into his corner to sleep.

He was woken, early in the morning by a commotion on the ship. Several sailors were stumbling round. One of them pulled him to his feet and shook him. "It's your fault, you little rat. The mate said he'd skin you and it's what you deserve."

"What's happened?" Gwalion asked. "I've been here all night. The ship was safe when you all got back. The captain was back, with her friends. Bafraim went to his cabin. I done nothing. Cook give me some broth and then I fell asleep. Wasn't me."

The sailor grunted and hit the boy. "You little liar. I'd keelhaul you if it was down to me." He grabbed hold of Gwalion's ear and turned his head to look towards the scuppers where the sailor who'd been on watch with him lay on his back, a fine cord tight round his neck, his sightless eyes bulging. Gwalion gulped. He felt sick.

The sailor dragged Gwalion to the mate's cabin and knocked on the door.

Nikun left Ivoreth and returned home. He felt his life was perfect. The most wonderful girl in Dol Amroth had agreed to marry him. He wanted to tell everybody he met. He couldn't wait to tell his family, to get their blessing. Ivoreth would be the daughter his mother had always wanted. Under his mother's tutelage his wife would learn how to live as the wife of a knight of Dol Amroth.

Ivoreth watched him go, smiling happily to herself. Her parents were delighted with the match. She would be a lady; no longer Ivoreth the shipwright's daughter but the wife of a knight. She imagined what her friends would say, how jealous they would be. She imagined the jewels, the fine clothes, the house she would have.

Nikun found his father sitting in the hall of their house, a cup of wine in his hand. He greeted his father, crossed to the table and poured himself a cup of wine. His father looked at him, "You look very pleased with yourself. Tell me your news."
"I'm engaged to Ivoreth, the shipwright's daughter, Sir," the young man replied, raising his cup.
His father flung his own cup at his son, "No, you are not! You are a knight of Dol Amroth and you will marry a lady. I will not have a son of mine marry a shipwright's daughter, especially not at the age of seventeen. You're far too young to marry and you don't need to marry a girl like that. You will end this engagement immediately, IMMEDIATELY, do you hear me?”

Nikun stared at his father, his eyes blazing and his face flushing an angry red. “Sir, I have given my word. I will marry her. You would not have me forsworn?”

“And what of your duty to me? Your duty to your mother? Your duty to the Prince, whose knight you are training to be and, through him, your duty to the King? You have given your word to them. Your duty and your honor are there, not with a shipwright’s daughter,” his father shouted back at him. “Too often you have defied my will and this is the final time. You will end this engagement.”

Nikun’s mother appeared at the door. “What has happened? What is the matter?”

“This boy has the audacity to come in and tell me that he has engaged himself to marry the shipwright’s daughter.”

“Nikun, please. You’re much too young. She’s very pretty but her pretty head has nothing in it. When you’re older you’ll want a wife you can talk to. Once her looks have faded there will be nothing there. She will never make a wife for a knight.”

Nikun flung down his cup. “I am going to marry Ivoreth. She is beautiful. She is kind. She has had little education but she can learn. Mother, you can teach her to be the wife of a knight. She will be a daughter to you.”

His father hammered on the table with his fist. “She will never be a daughter to us. And, boy, if you insist on marrying her, you will no more be our son. Do you hear me? Marry her and I will disown you. We will never receive you in this house. You will leave this house and go wherever you will. You may starve before I will raise a finger to save you. You may have what you stand up in and your falcon but nothing else.”

Nikun turned to the door. “Very well, Sir. Goodbye. Farewell, mother. I will make a home for Ivoreth by my own labors.”

His mother sobbed, “Please, Nikun. Don’t go.” She turned to her husband. “Don’t turn him out, please.” He ignored her pleading. “At least let him take his sword. It was my father’s.” Her husband nodded. “Very well, take it and get out of my house!”

Nikun seized his sword, turned and left the house, pushing past his younger brother, Ianon. He strode down the road back towards Ivoreth’s home. He would make a home for her. He would work to support her. He knocked on the door of the shipwright’s house. Ivoreth opened it and flung herself into his arms. “Are they happy? What sort of wedding shall we have?” Then she looked at his face, “Nikun, my love, what’s happened?”
“My father has disowned me. He will not have us in his house. I have decided that I will learn your father’s trade, if he will have me as apprentice. I will find us a small house to live in. We’ll live very simply. We don’t need much.”

He noticed her expression had changed.

“Disowned? But… But that means you … You’re a knight, not an apprentice shipwright. I don’t want to be a shipwright’s wife. I thought you, that we’d …” She burst into tears. “I want to be a lady. I want to live in a big house. What will my friends say when they hear that you’re my father’s apprentice. If your father has thrown you out, don’t come here to me.”

Nikun stared at her, “Ivoreth, my darling, what do you mean?”

“I mean,” she replied, pushing him away, “that if all you can offer me is a small house and marriage to an apprentice shipwright, then the engagement is over. Come back when you have persuaded your father to accept you back and you can offer me what I accepted when I agreed to marry you.”

Nikun turned and left the house. He could hardly see where he was going and he hardly cared. He stumbled down the road towards the harbor; he was considering throwing himself in. As he passed under a tree he heard a movement in the branches and looked up. He saw a figure, hooded and cloaked, a woman looking down at him.

[Edited on 6/2/2008 by Hainima]
smellyeggs
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2008 04:49
((looks like you need a cook... )

Secg was neither upset or glad that the old captain was gone. his allegiences laid with the ship to begin with. without the ship, he was just another poor man with no job. That was the only reason he had stayed.

It was early, and Secg bumbled around the kitchen humming whilst preparing for the day's rations. he pulled out some vegetables and meat. his knives flew, chopping and dicing. he put them in a pot, added some broth, and put the pot on the coals to cook. few people could compare with his cooking skills, but that didn't cause him to gloat.

Secg was fairly young, (a mere 29) but he had seen alot for his age. for a man his age, he was fairly good looking in a rough sense. his nose was slightly crooked, from breaking it in one too many fights. His dark eyes shone mischeviously, and his light hair was windblown from years at sea.

he had been sailing with the ship since he was 16, a mere cabinboy. he had worked with the cook, running errands and helping out ingeneral. when the old cook had been killed, he saw it as his oppertunity to rise to the occassion, and took over the job.

Secg turned when he heard some of the crew speaking to Gwalion. The boy was like his own, but he tended to cause mischief.
Several sailors were stumbling round. One of them pulled Gwalion to his feet and shook him. "It's your fault, you little rat. The mate said he'd skin you and it's what you deserve."

"What's happened?" Gwalion asked. "I've been here all night. The ship was safe when you all got back. The captain was back, with her friends. Bafraim went to his cabin. I done nothing. Cook give me some broth and then I fell asleep. Wasn't me."

The sailor grunted and hit the boy. "You little liar. I'd keelhaul you if it was down to me." He grabbed hold of Gwalion's ear and turned his head to look towards the scuppers where the sailor who'd been on watch with him lay on his back, a fine cord tight round his neck, his sightless eyes bulging.
Secg followed and gasped when he saw the man. He wished he knew for certain wether or not it had been Gwalion that had done this, but he had been fast asleep all night.

The sailor dragged Gwalion to the mate's cabin and knocked on the door.

Secg followed, so he could see the result of Gwalion's trial.

(yay for rpging with some of the oldies!! i miss this!)

[Edited on 4/2/2008 by smellyeggs]
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: March 03, 2008 01:47
She turned to Aerith and Rhen, who had walked a short distance away. "Shall we adjourn to my ship for the time being? It seems that would be the safest place in this moral-lacking port..

Rhîwenil let out a harsh laugh at Meri's comment. "Moral-lacking is right," she agreed as they fought against the current of marketgoers. "My father oft times tells me this rather small port is as unruly as the sea during a storm. Course," she added, a smirk lifting the corners of her mouth, "he also says that it is here where the greatest influx of travelers come before they leave for Minas Tirith or Dol Amroth. All the more stories for him to hear."

Aerith was only half listening to the conversation. His eyes lingered on Meri's face. She was fair, that he was certain of, but there was something else about her. Grace? No, that couldn't be it, he thought, shaking his head marginally. Rhen possessed that grace. He attributed that to her lineage, that of the kings or princes of Dol Amroth. The way maybe Meri held herself? No again. Rhen stood just as proudly as she did: their heads held high, their backs straight, their gazes piercing. Then what was it? Ah, that was what it was, he remembered, averting his gaze to the ship. The sense of command Meri exuded. Rhîwenil didn't possess that; she did have authority about her, but it was more internal control of herself versus the ability to lead others.

Appearance-wise, the pair were as opposite as can be. Meri was fair-haired and blue-eyed while Rhîwenil was darker-haired with icy blue-grey eyes. Both were, at least in Aerith's eyes, fair to behold, but Meri's looks caught Aerith's eye more.

Rhîwenil watched her friend's face avidly. His face was as readable as an open look. Of course he would fancy Meri; he always favored a pretty face, but the fancy would not last long. He was a capricious fellow, not given to commitment. His life was to be lived in the now until he met the right woman. But yet, he had even admitted to wanting to settle, and he had as good as stated verbatim that it was her he wanted to settle down with. But for all her feelings for him, Rhîwenil couldn't do that, not now.

As the trio approached the Ninglor, a few curious heads peered over the rails. "Ahoy, cap'n!" called a few appreciatively. Rhîwenil smiled slightly, happy the crew respected their captain, even for the fact she was a woman.

Turning to her newfound friend, she teased, "I believe this is your chance to show us aboard."

(I am under the assumption that after this round of posting, we will be in Dol Amroth?)

(Rodwen, I wasn't too sure on Meri's appearance, but in her bio it says she has the appearance of Eowyn. From my knowledge, Eowyn was fair-haired and blue-eyed, but if I am wrong, I will edit.)

[Edited on 3/6/2008 by Dinenlasse]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 04:56
((OOC: sorry again for the long absence. And yes, the description is mostly correct... she's just short, also))

Turning to her newfound friend, she teased, "I believe this is your chance to show us aboard."

Merides looked around the port, noting the men swarming around. "I believe you are correct. Follow me, if you will. This is the Ninglor, recently out of Lindon port. She is a fine ship, do you not agree, Master Aerith?" She gave the large man- more a boy in her eyes, at least five years her junior, maybe more- a look, straight in the face (a foot above her), as if daring him to say otherwise. "I won her in a bet. The previous captain had no respect for women, and thought my business savvy was lacking." Again a sharp glance at Aerith. "He was wrong. It cost him his ship."

Meri nodded to acknowledge her sailors’ greetings. They seemed to have a slowly growing respect for her. Good.

She led the two of them aboard, pointing out the hold, deck, and single, sturdy mast with its square sail. "I am going to have my device sewn into the sail eventually," she said to Rhen. "It is a leaf and a sword. I am working on the design now, if you wish to see it."

She stepped up to her first mate, and introduced them all around. Bafraim and Aerith seemed to size each other up- she’d have to watch them. She glanced over at Rhen- at least the young woman looked to be enjoying herself. They walked to the stern of the small cog. “This is my cabin. Aerith, you may explore the hold, if you wish, but men are not allowed past this door. Rhiwenil, you will share my cabin, if you are to be sailing with us. Dol Amroth is our next port.”

She ushered the young woman inside, nodding at Bafraim to keep loading the ship. Sitting on her bunk, she motioned Rhen to the chair. “Forgive me if I ask, but you seem strangely familiar, M’lady. Have we met before today on the docks?” Rhen’s answer came as a shock to Meri- Cousins? Surely not! But it is so! Meri’s questions bubbled to the surface as her stern demeanor evaporated. She bounced on her bed, excited at meeting a relative so close to her own age. “What brings you to seek out a ship? Do I have any other relatives here? Where are you going? Are we related on your mother’s or your father’s side? Do you need assistance on your quest? You are coming, I assume. We will be good friends, right? You have no idea how lonely it gets with just men around…”

Her gush was interrupted by shouting from the main deck. “Tump” seemed to be the word of choice. Gwalion… what had he done?
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2008 06:53
OOC: sorry for the wait, the site has been throwing error mesages at me, and I went on vacation. Anyways, here we go again!

Bafraim burst onto the deck, his eyes red from lack of sleep, and his hair mussed like someone had brained him. “All right, all right!” He blinked his eyes blearily as the light of the morning sun burst upon him. Yes, I did have too much ale. He saw Tump on the ground, the boot of a particularly mean-looking sailor upon his back. Then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw something even more disturbing. “In Eru’s name…” A man was slumped on the deck, his mouth wide, and his eyes wide open. In them was a look of utter and complete terror. “Holy blood of the Valar, what happened?”

A particularly dull-looking man pointed a grimy finger at Tump, and uttered in a monosyllabic vocabulary that befitted an oliphaunt, “’E did it! ‘E strangled ‘im” Instantly cries of “Hang ‘im!” “Wring his scrawny little neck!” and “Keel ‘awl ’im!” filled the deck.

Bafraim raised his eyes to the heavens, and muttered, “My God,” before saying, “I have no jurisdiction over this.” At this, he walked away to tell Merides the news, leaving the crowd to puzzle over the meaning of his words.

He knocked on the door, and hearing an affirmative noise from within, he entered Merides’ cabin. He walked in on Merides and the new passenger in an animated discussion. “Sorry to interrupt, Cap’n, ma’am,” he said, touching his brow, “But I got bad news. I ken a man has been found dead, aboard the ship.” He paused, unsure how to continue. “An’ their blamin’ it on Tu— sorry, Gwalion.”

[Edited on 6/5/2008 by elendil2]
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2008 12:50
Elenduriel spent much of the day in the solitude of the Oak tree that had become her home. Silently she sat there and watched the horizon, studying the sturdy-looking vessel that was apporaching from a great distance.

Her keen Elven senses gave her a good feeling about the far-off ship; that was the vessel upon she now intended to voyage on.

Later that evening, after the bustle of the harbour had died away, and before the sailors would descend upon the inns and taverns, Elen strolled slowly upon nimble feet around the edge of the dock.
The ship that she had been watching so intently was growing ever nearer and was now within the range of sight of the Men, as that very afternoon she had heard two deckhands from a small fishing vessel talking of it.

The sound of echoing footsteps approaching the harbour reached her pointed Elven ears disrupting her musings of the ship.
Pulling her hood further forward, she sprang lightly towards the great Oak.

Just as a figure of a strong young man was coming into view, Elen leapt gracefully onto the lowest of the large boughs.

She swiftly climbed higher and peered down through the leaves and watched as the man stomped angrily towards her hiding place. His brow was furrowed and he muttered darkly to himself.

Elen was torn. Should she keep to herself, protect her secretive existance and let this man about his business? Or should she interupt his dark brooding, for she was worried that he was intending to inflict harm upon himself? Certainly, his eyes shone wildly as he eyed the cold water beyond the harbour's edge.

As the young man strode beneath the branches of the Oak, Elen reacted instinctively, her caring nature ruling her reasoning. As she slid from her high perch and landed gently on a low thick bough, the leaves around her rustled slightly, causing the stranger to pause and look up at her.

Elen stood frozen as her eyes met those of the stranger. Absentmindedly she raised her pale hands to check that her hood was hiding her Elven ears.
She jumped from the tree, landing on the ground before the man with barely a sound.
She stood straight before him, barely a hair taller than the stranger and gave a small gentle smile.

"Many appologies for startling you, good sir. Begging your forgiveness, as I do not wish to be presumptious, but are you well? For you seem somewhat distracted and I was worried that you may not notice that you were about to walk straight off the dock, sir."
She extended one slender pale hand towards the man. "My name is Elenduriel, sir. I am pleased to make your acquaintence."

As dusk fell around them, Elen and the stranger, who had introduced himself as Nikun, sat on the harbour wall conversing well into the night.
He spoke of his heartache, and Elen told him of her indescribable urge to wait for the approaching ship.

After being alone for so many years, Elen was surprised how easily she found she could speak to this poor young man beside her.

A loud bang erupted from a nearby ship, causing them both to jump with shock. They laughed together for a second, until the young man's eyes widened and the laughter died in his throat.

With horror, Elen realised that when she had started at the noise, her hood had slipped unnoticed, and now this man had laid eyes upon her Elven ears....
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2008 08:47
Gwalion lay flat on his face, the boot of one of the sailors pressed against his back, pushing him into the boards of the deck. He could hear the growls from the crew. Most of them seemed to be in favour of hanging him; the rest wanted him keel-hauled. He couldn’t hear anybody speaking up in his defence. Maybe the cook would. At least Secg knew where Gwalion had spent the night. He must know that the boy hadn’t had the opportunity to kill the sailor.

He knew that if the old captain had still been in charge he would soon be dead. He was not sure about Captain Merides. She looked as if she would listen. The question was, would she believe him? Even if she did, she would probably throw him off the ship, as a means to keep the peace with the rest of the crew. She might want to set an example of her toughness. If she did, he would hang.

He felt as if he was going to be sick. Not that he had any chance to be sick, with the sailor’s boot in his back. He could hardly breathe. If Bafraim didn’t return with the Captain soon, he would probably suffocate. He tried to move and the sailor raised his boot. The relief was short-lived as the boot thumped into his back. He cried out and retched violently.

At last, he heard footsteps coming along the deck. He forced himself to open his eyes to see who it was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikun looked up at the hooded woman. He’d never seen a face quite like hers before. There was something strange about her eyes. Maybe it was just the shadow of the hood. She jumped down from the tree and, holding out a long, pale hand, introduced herself as Elenduriel.

“My name is Nikun, son of …” he paused, “no, I have no father.”

They sat down on the harbor wall and he found himself telling her something of his sorrow. He told her of his quarrel with his father and of how Ivoreth had rejected him. “I thought today was the happiest of my life,” he said. “I love Ivoreth. I thought she loved me. But she doesn’t. She only loved what my family are. She only wanted me to make her a lady. Now my father has disowned me. I’ve no home, no family and, most of all, no Ivoreth. Therefore, I’ve nothing. I’m best dead. The water in the harbor is deep and I couldn’t keep swimming for ever, so I’m going to swim out until I can’t swim any more. Nobody will notice.” Even as he spoke, he realised that Elen would notice and that she seemed to care. If he jumped in now she would either summon help from the nearby ships or try and rescue him herself.

It was strange how easy it was to tell this strange woman so much about his hopes and how they had been dashed. There was something about her eyes. They seemed to hold so much wisdom and understanding. In some ways, she reminded him of his grandmother but Elenduriel seemed so much wiser and yet so young.

She told him of her desire to wait for the approaching ship. Perhaps that was the answer for him. He could take passage on the ship, away from Dol Amroth and his youth. He would travel through Middle Earth and see what the future brought. Perhaps he could find service with an army well away from Gondor. Maybe he would spend the rest of his life as a sailor. He had his sword and knew how to use it. It was a good sword, carried by several generations of his grandsires; one of whom had carried it at the Pelennor and then to the Black Gate.

A loud bang erupted from a nearby ship, causing them both to jump with shock. He laughed, as she did, but then stopped and stared at her.

“You’re… you’re… you’re an elleth?” he gasped. “I’ve heard of your folk of course but I thought you had all left Middle Earth many years ago. Why are you still here? What do you want? You aren’t after a ship to take you to the West are you? I doubt that ship would take you there.”

Looking at her face, he realized she was upset. “Never fear, your secret is safe with me. Come, let us wait for the ship and perhaps leave this place.”
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: May 25, 2008 05:22
“Sorry to interrupt, Cap’n, ma’am,” he said, touching his brow, “But I got bad news. I ken a man has been found dead, aboard the ship.” He paused, unsure how to continue. “An’ their blamin’ it on Tu— sorry, Gwalion.”

Rhîwenil watched the exchange with interest, from the first mate's breathless announcement to the look of horror that crossed Meri's face. Not knowing the gravity of the situation, she waited in silence as the captain and mate bowed their heads in deep conversation. Soon, they both clambered out of the cabin, and following a hurried beckoning from Meri, Rhîwenil tailed them.

The scene on deck was near chaos. At least a score of sailors surrounded a young man, who appeared to have a boot on his back. A dead man sat nearby, eyes open in a look of deathly surprise. Fighting the bile that rose in her throat, Rhîwenil elbowed her way through the men and approached the dead man. Kneeling and placing a handkerchief to her nose and mouth, she inspected him. Evident were the rope burns around his neck, but that was about it. The burns sloped upwards over his jugular. "He was caught from behind, that is obvious," she said aloud, her fingers tracing the deep red marks. "But he has been dead at least a half day, if not more." Not wanting to incriminate or acquit anyone, not the least the boy who appeared to be named Gwalion, she said no more.

Rhîwenil backed away from the body in disgust. With a cursory glance at the boy, she thought that there was no way for him to overcome the dead sailor. He was too built to be defeated easily, and the only real way for him to have been overpowered was by a stronger man or by the essence of surprise. But she didn't think the boy possessed that. Maneuvering her way to Meri's side, she squeezed her kinswoman's hand, sensing her anxiety and dismay at this sudden turn of events on her ship. But Rhîwenil couldn't help but notice that at least one of the men's expressions seemed smug with triumph. Making a mental note to watch him, she listened to the callings for hanging and keel-hauling with anger. Biting her tongue, she turned to Aerith who had come up beside her. "You do not think he could have done it, do you, Aerith?" she asked her friend.

Aerith kept his eyes forward, scrutinizing the crew. "I don't know, Rhen," he replied quietly under his breath so only she could hear. "'Tis a messy business, that is for sure, and we can only hope it works out in his favor. For all purposes, he does not appear to have the countenance to do something of that nature. But then, we could both be proven wrong."

Rhîwenil bit her lip in worry and again fought the urge to shout. Meri was the captain, and Rhîwenil's interference would only lessen her reputation and respect as well as Meri's.

[Edited on 5/27/2008 by Dinenlasse]
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: July 01, 2008 10:10
Ach! What had she gotten herself into? A man lay dead at her feet, and Gwalion lay nearby, a boot on his back. He was retching, apparently couldn't breathe. Poor boy, he was surely as frightened as could be.

"Let the boy up. Hold him close, though, Bafraim. I will not have him running off." She sounded gruff, attempting to build rapport with the crew. The boy was hoisted up roughly by several crew members and handed to the mate. Gwalion whimpered softly, and Meri wished she could comfort him.

"He was caught from behind, that is obvious," she said aloud, her fingers tracing the deep red marks. "But he has been dead at least a half day, if not more."

Good. At least it's not the boy's fault. She breathed a sigh of relief. Looking down at the dead man, she pointed to two of the bigger crewmembers. "Take care of him, please. Wrap him, and we'll have the funeral at dusk.

"Now, Gwalion, you have been accused of killing this man. You were the one on watch when it happened, supposedly. However, as Rhiwenil says, he seems to have been killed several hours ago, before your watch. What do you have to say for yourself?" She held up a hand to the protests of the crew who were apparently against the boy. "Let him speak. You will have your turn," she said, with a glare at the main accuser.

((ack- deadmuse. No inspiration at all.))
elendil2
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2008 07:21
OOC: Sorry it took a while; I've been busy writing poetry.

Bafraim grabbed Gwalion, holding him by the nape of his neck. He ignored Gwalions groan, and turned his attention back to the crew. They were shifting around, like a school of fish. He noticed Rhîwenil biting her lip. Ach, she hasn’t been exposed to the cold, hard world. But she’ll get used to it.

Looking down at the dead man, she pointed to two of the bigger crewmembers. "Take care of him, please. Wrap him, and we'll have the funeral at dusk.

Bafraim turned to look at the men Merides had picked, and also bit his lip. Congratulations, Cap’n. You just made the worst choice possible. These men she picked were some of the worst in the crew.
“No, I’ll take care of it, Cap’n.” With his free had, he motioned to two other men nearby. “Cutter, Lud! Take care of im.”
“Sah!” The men took hold of the corpse; one with the hands, one holding the feet, and carried it out of sight.
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2008 02:27
Elenduriel felt a wave of relief wash over her at Nikun's kind words as she once again raised her hood to cover her tell-tale Elven ears.

She flashed him a grateful smile, the twinkle back in her sapphire eyes. She then turned her attention back to his previous barage of questions.

"Yes I am indeed an Elleth, born in the woodland realm of what has been rechristened Mirkwood. I had, and still possess, no desire to leave these shores of my home. And no, I do not seek a ship to bear me to the undying lands, I merely wish to sail once, maybe more if I find it desirable to do so."

She sighed deeply before turning to gaze at the ship, barely visible in the twilight. Turning back to the young man beside her she spoke in a soft voice wrought with emotion.

"I thank you kindly, fair Nikun; for your vow of secrecy means more than I can express. I fear the discovery of my ancestory by these Men." At that she cast a cursory glance in the direction of the crowded inns.

Sensing Nikun's curiosity she rose to her feet. "I have something for you to see." And with that she swiftly crossed the harbour to her tree, disappeared into the branches and within seconds was seated back beside the confused young man.

"Here, sir," she held out her long bow for him to take a closer look.

She smiled serenely at him as his eyes widened, his fingers running over the smooth dark green wood and delicate metal inlayed decorations. At his raised eyebrow she nodded, "Yes, that is indeed Mithril. It was made by the Elves of Lothlorien and gifted to me by my kin there before the War."

After long moments, he passed back the bow and Elen slung it delicately over her head and right shoulder so that the dark wood rested diagonally across her slender back. She then gazed with wonder and listened in awe as her companion showed her his sword and told of its history.

Soon the dawn approached, throwing pink and gold across the lightening sky, yet she felt no tiredness. And to her glee the ship was fast approaching the dock. She turned and shared a small smile with her companion, her friend, -who was looking decidedly happier now- and anticipated what the Valar had instore for her....
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2008 10:07
Gwalion shivered as he stood before the captain and her friends. Partly it was from fright and partly from cold. His breeches were wet. His shirt was wet. He looked at Merides. “It weren’t me, Cap’n. He were alive the last time I saw him. Ask Cook.” He sniffed and tried to stop his knees from shaking. “Please, Cap’n. He’d have knocked me overboard ‘fore I got near ‘im. He was on watch so he wasn’t drunk. Even if he’d been drunk he was a good fighter. If I’d sneaked up on him he’d have had his knife in me before I could do anything like that.”

“Plenty of us never heard Tump sneaking round till we found he’d had his fingers in our pockets,” one of the other sailors muttered.

“But I didn’t hurt him,” the boy wailed. He turned towards Merides. “Please, Cap’n. You got to believe me. I don’t know who did it. I saw nothing.” He sniffed and wiped his face with the back of his hand, before wiping his hand on the leg of his breeches.

“I finished the watch when you all came back on board and the mate said I could go. I don’t know if he counted the crew then. I was too tired. Cook took me into the galley and gave me some broth. He lets me sleep there, in the corner. When I drunk the broth I went to sleep. Cook was there, you ask him if I went off round the ship again. He’ll tell you.”

He looked round the crew. He knew he had few real friends there but he hoped someone would speak for him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikun sat beside Elenduriel, admiring her bow, then telling her of his sword. As the night wore on he found himself falling asleep. He fought to keep his eyes open, not wishing to appear rude. After a while he found it impossible and, curling up on the dockside, wrapped in his cloak, fell into a deep sleep. He dreamed of Ivoreth; that she was sitting beside him, ready to journey away from Dol Amroth. In his dream they stepped onto the ship but, as soon as Ivoreth stepped onto the ship, she changed into a mithril bow with pointed ears and the face of his grandfather and faded away.

Nikun woke up and saw Elen sitting beside him. Her eyes were open but he knew she might be asleep. He had heard that elves could sleep with their eyes open. He decided not to risk disturbing her.

The dawn came, turning the sky pink and gold. The ship was nearly at the dock. He sat up, smiled at Elen and waited with her for the ship to come in. This would be his new life.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 17, 2008 11:31
Rhîwenil listened to the pleas of Gwalion with half an ear and an open mind. Looking logically, there was no way for the boy to harm the man, but the trouble would come in convincing the crew of the same. Meri would have her work cut out for her this time, but then again, Hingel’s daughter mused, if the crew held the captain in such regard that they would listen to reason, then the entire situation could be resolved peacefully. Dissension obviously would ensue, for the dark looks and hushed murmurings did not go unnoticed by either of the astute women (for Rhîwenil was certain Meri considered that to some extent). Rhîwenil prayed inwardly that the first mate could handle well the men when the captain was around. The stout man appeared capable, but Rhîwenil knew not to judge looks until the character was assessed.

Because there was naught for Rhîwenil to do than stand by---for this was not her place to interrupt unless asked---her mind wandered to her maternal grandparents. Her grandsire, Acheron, had, in better and more glorious days, seen action as a high-ranking captain of the ship Dovewing, the late Prince Elphir’s flagship. Her grandmother, Odessa, was the daughter of a prosperous wool-guild owner in the tiny, quaint but boisterous port town of Hîrillond, Haven of the Lady, named after the elf-lady Nimrodel. They had met at the fish market in Hîrillond and moved to Dol Amroth when Eira was born. She and her older brother Owen lived a relatively simple life growing up, fearing nothing more than the occasional harsh sea storm and the consequent flailing gales and the threat of a Corsair attack on the small town.

Rhîwenil lapsed into memories of her mother’s parents. Both were exceedingly generous and hospitable, never turning out a beggar or ruffian who sought shelter at their doors. Also, they loved to tell stories and shared the same love of family history as did Hingel. Her heart began to beat rapidly. How much longer until they reached the shores of Dol Amroth? she asked herself, her eyes lighting up with anticipation. How Hingel’s daughter wanted to see them again. A year passed since she last saw them, when they made the rather short journey to Linhir around Yuletide to celebrate the holiday with their son-in-law and granddaughter. Her uncle Owen had remained in Dol Amroth to watch over his shop (he was a blacksmith) and young wife, who took to bed with her child and gave birth to a son the day after Yuletide.

“’Ave ye ‘eard about the raid done by Azrakarbú’s men just this past morn?” a softened whisper reached Rhîwenil’s ear, breaking through her reverie. The tone was eager, anxious. “O’ course, ‘tis a rumor ‘twas his men, but all the same…” She cocked her head infinitesimally to hear better. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw an excited expression on one of the seamen’s faces.

“Aye, mate, I heard tell. At least a hunnerd slaughtered, and the village burned to the ground,” another voice replied lowly.

Rhîwenil turned her head a bit more, allowing her long dark hair to swing freely forward, creating a curtain through which she could watch the men. “Aye,” the first man continued breathlessly, immersed in his tale. “’Tis said that the Corsair ships are movin’ northwest along the coast, but the cap’n won’t chance to attack a port the size of Dol Amroth. He’ll stick wit’ attackin’ smaller merchant and peasant crafts an’ raidin’ the coasts.”

“Well, if this Ashkabarlu character is smart, he knows that ‘tis hard to overcome Prince Alphros’ fleet,” the second voice returned, stumbling over the foreign name.

“I dunno. The Prince 'as been ill as o' late." He shrugged and changed topics. "’Ave ye ‘eard ‘bout a lost treasure? Rumors are that there is a certain gem from Dol Amroth from the ol’ days that made ol’ Galador mad with lust that he deserted his family and caused his own sister to run away.” At this, Rhîwenil drew in her breath silently. She knew that in the course of Galador’s reign, his sister Gilmith had been neglected by her brother, but what had happened to her was for the dust of legends. And here, this vagrant spurted out that lost knowledge. Unwittingly, her hand strayed to the gem around her neck. Rhîwenil’s heart pounded faster as the man continued. “I dunno if ‘tis true, but if’n it is, I reckon the jewel must be worth a lot.” His eyes lit up with greed.

“But do ye know if such a jewel exists?” the second man questioned, doubt evident in his voice.

“Again, I dunno, but I wuddint be foolish to chase ol’ wives’ tales. There must be sumthin there.”

The second man shrugged. “In any case, that is something for others to worry about and not us lowly seamen.”

“We drop anchor at Dol Amroth within the next day, and I for one am fed up with this woman”-he spat the word out with venom-“cap’ning our ship. I plan on jumpin’ ship and joinin’ anudder one. One’s bound to give better deserts than I’ve been gittin on here, even I cuddint find tha’ gem.”

The second man sucked in his breath incredulously. “’Tis mutiny ye speak of, mate! Cap’n Merides has been nothin’ but kind to us, and in any case, after ye strangled pore ol’ Barlo, ye should be the one to be tried, not the pore ol’ cabin boy.” He nudged his head toward Gwalion.

A scuffling of feet and the thud of a fist hitting a nose caused Rhîwenil to look around sharply. The two men were at it, the second man spurting blood from his nose. “’Ow dare ye make an accusation like tha’, mate? I never did no such thin’!”

As they were in the back of the crowd, no one noticed them but for Rhîwenil, who stepped aside and decided not to interfere just yet. There was enough evidence for her to indict the first man-his look, his violent temper, and the other man as witness-but this was not the time until Meri restored order. The first man caught sight of the maiden and cursed aloud, “’Sblood! Women are nothin’ but bad luck on this ship! How did ye manage to get aboard?”

Rhîwenil said nothing and glared at him. The second man took the split second hesitation to grab the first man from behind and pin his arms behind his back. He let out a cry of “Murderer! Murderer!”

Almost at once, the attention shifted from Gwalion to the scene at the back. Rhîwenil slipped back to Meri’s side and whispered in her ear, “That gent there would cause a mutiny on this ship. I’d be alert over the next few days. And I believe he is the cause of your troubles here as well,” she nodded her head at Gwalion. Looking over her shoulder, Rhîwenil met the lad’s scared glance and smiled slightly, trying to ease his worries.

-------------------------------------------------------

Aerith had watched the exchange between the two men with interest and noticed Rhîwenil’s interest. His friend clutched at her neck, and he surmised that what they were saying had something to do with the gem she possessed. But, truth be told, that mattered little to him. She had her family history to keep her occupied on this journey. For him, leaving secluded little Linhir behind-though it was the open door to the rest of Gondor-for the free-ranging sea and what adventures lay within the rocking waves was what appealed to him. The Ninglor represented freedom.

Standing at the rail, both hands grasping the worn wood tightly, he let out a cry as he sighted a high promontory on the far horizon. “Land-ho!” he cried gleefully. “Belfalas to the fore! Land-ho!”

But then he heard the cry of “Murderer! Murderer!” and the grin dropped from his face.

[Edited on 8/18/2008 by Dinenlasse]

[Edited on 8/4/2009 by Dinenlasse]
Merides
Humor Admin
Send Message
on: August 20, 2008 11:40
“No, I’ll take care of it, Cap’n.” With his free had, he motioned to two other men nearby. “Cutter, Lud! Take care of im.”
“Sah!” The men took hold of the corpse; one with the hands, one holding the feet, and carried it out of sight.

Ah! Bafraim! What are you doing, contradicting me like that?!? The thought lanced through her mind like fire. She had thought he was on her side... but here he was, disregarding her orders! Who was Cironhir of the Ninglor, Merides, or Bafraim? She would have to talk to him privately, later. And she would, for it seemed that all the men on board were bound and determined to go against their new captain. She would not have it.

She shot a glare at the tall first mate, then turned her attention back to the whimpering boy in front of her. He needed her comfort, but there was little she could do to help him at this point, beyond proving his innocence. She was certain he was not guilty, but the crew was out for blood... The challenge before her was to find the true murderer, get Gwalion out of the noose, so to speak, and save face with the crew at the same time.

She sighed as she listened to the boy's pleas.
“It weren’t me, Cap’n. He were alive the last time I saw him. Ask Cook.” He sniffed and tried to stop his knees from shaking. “Please, Cap’n. He’d have knocked me overboard ‘fore I got near ‘im. He was on watch so he wasn’t drunk. Even if he’d been drunk he was a good fighter. If I’d sneaked up on him he’d have had his knife in me before I could do anything like that.”

“Plenty of us never heard Tump sneaking round till we found he’d had his fingers in our pockets,” one of the other sailors muttered.

“But I didn’t hurt him,” the boy wailed. He turned towards Merides. “Please, Cap’n. You got to believe me. I don’t know who did it. I saw nothing.” He sniffed and wiped his face with the back of his hand, before wiping his hand on the leg of his breeches.

“I finished the watch when you all came back on board and the mate said I could go. I don’t know if he counted the crew then. I was too tired. Cook took me into the galley and gave me some broth. He lets me sleep there, in the corner. When I drunk the broth I went to sleep. Cook was there, you ask him if I went off round the ship again. He’ll tell you.”

He looked round the crew. He knew he had few real friends there but he hoped someone would speak for him.

Merides turned to her crew, feeling small in the presence of so many men, taller, stronger than her. She willed herself to be bigger, if not in size, then in mental strength. Her grandmother, Eowyn, had stood in the face of similar odds, and come out with the death of the Witch-King on her hands. Or blade, to be precise. The very blade that now hung on the belt of her granddaughter, Merides. She placed her hand on the hilt of the sword for reassurance. It seemed an inner peace flowed from it, though she knew it was only her imagination. She felt comforted, even so.

"It seems, men," she said, turning her back on the boy, lest she gather him up in her arms, "It seems we have a crisis on our hands. Someone, aboard this vessel, has committed the most heinous of crimes- the murder of a fellow crew mate. Someone attacked this man, knocked him to the ground, and strangled him, with a rope, no less." She looked around, aware that every eye in the crowd was on her at this moment. She had them hanging on her every word, like children with a bedtime story. She felt a bit more confident.

Meri pointed at the trembling, sniffling boy behind her. She made a mental note to talk to him about how to behave in public when upset. Tucking that thought away, she continued with her monologue. "This boy has been accused of said crime. However, I beg you, despite his habits of 'sneaking around,' tell me honestly- can this boy knock down any one of you? Can he hold a rope to your throat, while pinning your arms to your sides? Can this Boy strangle you? I think not. Even I, small though I am, could shake one of his size. This child is not your murderer."

Like an echo, one man started yelling, at the back of the crowd. “Murderer! Murderer!” Heads whipped in the direction of the cries. Suddenly, Gwalion was not the center of attention, and she could hear his sigh of relief from behind her.

Rhîwenil slipped back to Meri’s side and whispered in her ear, “That gent there would cause a mutiny on this ship. I’d be alert over the next few days. And I believe he is the cause of your troubles here as well,” she nodded her head at Gwalion. Looking over her shoulder, Rhîwenil met the lad’s scared glance and smiled slightly, trying to ease his worries.

Meri nodded, then pushed her way through the crowd to the two sailors, one of whom had the other's hands pinned behind his back. She immediately recognized them as the two that Bafraim had sent to take care of the body, Cutter and Lud. Lud was the accused, Cutter the accuser. She was not surprised- they had both sided with Morion at first, before coming to her crew. She was only surprised that Bafraim had singled them out. Nevertheless, she was eager to make the most of the situation, and get it over with as soon as possible.

"Now, crew, hear me!" She raised her voice over the mumble of the men. There were a few discontented murmurs, but they finally quieted. "Who among you doubts that this man is strong enough to strangle his fellow? Is he not more likely a suspect than a boy?" There were murmurs of "aye" and "yes ma'am" from the crew. However, something was still not right.

That gent would cause mutiny... keep alert... cause of your troubles... Rhiwenil's words rang in her memory. She looked at the two, and realized what was strange. These two men were inseparable, normally. In fact, they did everything together. She had a sinking feeling as she grasped what she must do.

"Bafraim." The large man was at her side immediately. "Lock this man in the brig." She referred to the pens below deck that were normally reserved for cattle, sheep, and other livestock. They did not have room on board for, nor did she want, an actual pen for holding men.

She held him back however, as he reached for Lud. "Take them both to the brig. I do not trust a traitor to his crew-mates." The gasps from the crew were music to her ears. She had won.

"Back to your posts, men. We have a ship to sail." There was a general bustle as the men dissipated to various areas of the small ship. They tried as hard as possible to look busy.

Looking for Rhiwenil, she spotted the girl next to her friend, Aerith. She vaguely remembered him saying something during the 'trial.' Something about Belfalas. She joined them at the rail, noting Gwalion's presence, and looked out toward shore.

Sure enough, there was land. She patted Aerith on the shoulder. "Are you sure you shouldn't be in the crow's nest, Aerith? We could use sharp eyes above..."

She heard Bafraim walk up behind her before he spoke a word. She whirled on him, her green eyes flashing. "Bafraim, I will see you in my cabin. Immediately." She turned to her cabin, stalking in like a cat that has been offended. Once the door was closed, she walked to the window, not trusting herself to look at her first mate.

"Whose side are you on, Bafraim? Are you serving me, your captain, or yourself? Why did you contradict me?" She could not help the slight tremor in her voice. It had been a hard day, and it was starting to take its toll on the young woman. She placed her hand on the hilt of her sword again.

"Are you for me, or against me?"
~Elenduriel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2008 01:17
As the night wore on the Elven maid became aware that her companion had succumbed to slumber.
Silently, she made her way to the old oak tree that had been her home for many days and nights, and collected her small pack and leather quiver from the upper most bough and returned to the edge of the dock where Nikun continued to sleep, a peaceful expression upon his face.
Elen sat herself upright against a wooden post, her pack and quiver held to her sides and her long bow covered as best she could benesth her long cloak. Tugging once on her hood with her pale slender hand to ensure her ears were hidden from sight, Elen rested her head back and let sleep claim her for a short while.

Shortly before dawn Elen was awoken by a scuffling sound. She turned to see Nikun thrashing in his sleep, obviously his dreams had not remained pleasant. Seeing that he was about to wake, the Elf turned her attention towards the cool, calm water so as not to make her companion uncomfortable. Once he was fully awakened, Elen turned to him, her eyes shining brightly and a gentle smile upon her fair face.

"How did you sleep?" she asked, and after Nikun replied she happily told him "The ship shall be reaching port this day." Turning her blue eyes back out beyond the harboured vessels, the sails of the ship were clearly visible in the golden glow of sunrise, even to the eyes of Men.

"It appears that she is named the Ninglor," Elen continued, reading the name from the bow with her sharp eyes. Turning to her pack, she produced a large green leaf wrapped around a thin bread-like substance. "I'm afraid that I only carry Lembas, but I assure you it will prove to be very substantial, mellon." She proffered a piece to her friend, taking a shard for herself also and stowing the rest safely in her pack.

After a morning spent talking of childhoods and families intersperced with companiable silences, Elen held up her long slender hand for silence. Listening closely she heard the far off cry of a Man - "Land-ho."
She turned to Nikun with a smile, "Soon. They shall be here soon."
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2008 12:31
Gwalion could hardly believe he had survived. He had been sure that the captain wouldn’t believe him or that the crew would throw him overboard or hang him. He knew he hadn’t killed the sailor. Lud and Cutter had been amongst his worst tormentors ever since he’d joined the ship. He’d never risked stealing from either of them. They wouldn’t have waited for the captain’s verdict; he’d have been over the side of the ship with his throat slit. A few times he’d stolen for them, under threat. He could guess that they must have been involved in the murder and chosen him as the scapegoat.

He sniffed and looked at Captain Merides and her friend. He felt that they really believed him. The captain had spoken for him and the crew had accepted what she said. He tried to stop trembling and to stand a little straighter. For the first time in his life he had found somebody whom he wanted to impress. He didn’t want Captain Merides to see him just as a snivelling boy with a tear stained face and wet breeches. He heard her order Bafraim to her cabin and watched as they walked away.

The cook laid a hand on his shoulder. “Come, Gwalion. Let’s get you cleaned up and get some more broth into you. We’ll be in port soon and maybe the cap’n’ll let you ashore. She seems to think better of you than most. Don’t you let her down now. Keep out of her cabin. She don’t strike me as one who’ll take kindly to those as throws her kindnesses back at her.”

The crew parted to let Gwalion and the cook through. There was still some muttering but the boy knew he was safe, for the present.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nikun took the wafer the elleth offered him and nibbled at it. He’d heard of “lembas” but never tasted it. It was good. He hadn’t eaten much for some time and was surprised how the small piece of bread satisfied his hunger. He smiled at her. “I hope I didn’t disturb you. I had a strange dream. Nothing frightening; it was just strange. My life has changed so much in the last day; perhaps my mind is trying to make sense of it.”

He heard the cry from the ship. They would be some little while yet. The Ninglor. His new home, he hoped. Though what they would do with a part-trained knight, he wasn’t sure. He knew little of sailing but he was young and could learn. He got up and walked across to the water trough on the quay. He filled the pail that stood by the trough and tipped the water over his head. It was cold and cleared the sleep from his head, ready for the day. Shaking his head to dry his hair, he walked back to Elen and sat down on the quayside to wait for the ship.

Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2008 04:51
Roaring flames lit the night sky, devouring wood and stone with a greedy vengeance. Screams and howls of sorrow, torment, and agony bellowed up into the dark, mixing with the coils of thick, choking smoke.

As far as the Nadrothagan was from the devastation, the smoke still bit the air and burned the lungs. The screams were muffled, but they could still be heard, a haunting song in the night. And the fires that blazed in the village were still bright and vicious enough to sting the eye and heat the flesh.

These were the sounds of torture.
This was the smell of death that wafted on the wind.
This was the wake of death.

And to Azrakarbú, it was invigorating. These were the moments when he felt most alive. The blood coursed hot and electric through his veins as he watched the village slowly burn. The bloody red light of the flames illuminated his bronze face.

His dark glittering eyes burned with a savage delight.
“Bâr, suh, what’ll ye have us to do with these rats?”

Azrakarbú whirled as the coarse voice of his first mate pulled him from his fiendish reverie. His back turned to the burning shore, only the outline of his tall, lean frame could be seen. A bit of a dark glimmer was all that could be seen of his eyes.

The men at which he stared, however, were clearly illuminated by the flickering scarlet and orange light.

His crew stood warily by a group of twelve or so broad shouldered, thick armed men.

Captives.
Azrakarbú’s eyes scanned their faces.

Some stared defiantly back at him, others looked numbly past him, watching their lives go up in flames. One on the end was fighting back tears, while a dirty-blond next to him let tears streak his face without a trace of shame.

Azrakarbú took a step forward, moving with a fluid grace more natural in a beast than in a man.

“A group of stout young men you are, and it’s for this reason that you have been spared. Bless,” Azra paused, allowing a sneer to twist the corner of his lips, “or curse, Eru if you will. I am--”

“It is your name we will curse, filthy cur! And your life, as well. May the death that finds you be the worst torment a man can face. And whatever comes after, may it be only multiplied agony!”

The voice was a strong, unwavering one, emanating from the dirty-blond on the end. His eyes were a liquid blue fire as he stared fiercely at Azrakarbú.

Before Azra could take any action, one of his crew mates (a new man, eager to please and prove himself) struck the man a resounding blow. Bound as the man’s hands and ankles were, he was easily toppled and the sound of his stout body hitting the boards echoed in the night.

The crew mate moved to kick the down man, muttering curses, but he never got a chance.

Azrakarbú moved with the speed of an enraged stallion. In a moment he was on the crew man, his hand clasping his bulging neck in an iron grasp.

Azrakarbú jerked the man’s face close to his own and his fingers pressed into the swarthy flesh. The man’s eyes bulged with fear as he fought to breathe.

“Never,” Azrakarbúbreathed, “strike a down dog…on my ship.”

As quickly as he had struck, so he withdrew. He released the man and returned to his place, as calm as poised as if he had never struck.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: October 19, 2008 05:32
As Meri strode to her cabin in a huff, obviously angry and insulted by Bafraim’s actions, the first mate in question slowly following, Rhîwenil turned her back on the dissipated crew. The boy Gwalion had been taken in tow by a kindly cook, and for that, the Linhirian maiden was grateful. She was glad the tense situation defused the way it had. Wanting immensely to talk to the mutineer Cutter about his knowledge of Gilmith but knowing Meri would not look kindly upon it at the moment, Rhîwenil instead began to make her way to the mess to grab some victuals.

She turned on her heel and almost ran into a tall lean man with dark, shoulder-length hair and sharp grey eyes. His face was lined with years of worry, and pride defined his features. “I beg your pardon,” Rhîwenil muttered apologetically, taking one step to her left in order for the man to pass. He stayed where he was, however, and began to look her over, his eyes taking in everything: her clothing, her stance, her demeanor. He seemed to be sizing her up for some reason unbeknownst to her but clear to him. Uncomfortable, Rhîwenil made to pass him with another muttered, “Excuse me,” but he gripped her forearm tightly and held her.

“Sirrah, I tell you to let me go. There is no reason for you to lay hand on me when I am a guest of the captain,” Rhîwenil said sharply. There was no mistaking the haughtiness of her tone. Unused to this pretense, the girl thought to play up to it now that she had begun.

The man ignored her and tightened his grip. “I saw you watching Cutter and Lud before you exposed them to the captain,” he started menacingly. “How do I know you are not in league with them? I overheard their conversation about Azrakarbú, and I know you did also. My village was the one they burned for I had received word from my wife that foreign ships were seen off the coast. They raised no flag of truce or surrender. Black sails flew from the masts.” Barely concealed anguish flashed in his eyes, and he bowed his head sadly. “I’m certain my wife and son were slain.”

Rhîwenil stood there, paralyzed with shock and pity, all pretenses of arrogance gone. “My good sir, I am deeply sorry, and if there was anything in my power to help you I would. But, how could I be involved with the likes of them?”

The man lifted his chin and met her eyes. He dropped her arm and replied, “I trust no one entirely these days. I saw your hand clutch your neck when they mentioned the jewel he is supposed to be seeking. Why?”

Rhîwenil rubbed her arm. “I know nothing of Azrakarbú. I have heard his name once or twice in whispers of terror over the last year or so, but never would I ally myself with such a man. As for my neck, the chain around it was rubbing hard against it, and I repositioned it.” Knowing full well this was a lie, she swallowed her revulsion at such an act. Continuing her tirade, she asked, “Why would I involve myself with him or the mutineers aboard this ship?”

“Again, I know not. You appear to have no reasonable purpose aboard this ship from what I have discerned and have been seen walking about. There are whispers about you.”

“Like what?” Rhîwenil inquired curiously.

The man looked dubious. “Just whispers of your purpose. Some say you are here to find a husband. Some say you are a criminal stowing away on here to escape justice. Some of the more adventurous say you are a daughter of Prince Alphros come to reclaim your inheritance in Dol Amroth. You have the look of those people about you, and it is not often when a woman boards a ship, much less captain one.”

Incensed-which was quite unlike her- Rhîwenil replied, “My purpose aboard this ship is to travel to Dol Amroth to find information on my family. That is all. I am not searching for a husband, and I am certainly not the daughter of Prince Alphros. Also, times have changed since the end of the War, my good man. Women are venturing out more into the worlds where men inhabited. Merides is a captain; I am a scholar and adventurer. What is less harmful than that?”

The corner of the man’s smile lifted slightly, taken aback at Rhîwenil’s answer. “I humbly apologize for interrogating you so, lady. I have a great deal of respect for the captain and thought she handled the situation with the cabin boy admirably. As for you, my respect grew for you as well. Most other women would have quailed after being grabbed by a man and subjected to such scrutiny. You are courageous. My name is Meinir, son of Hreun.” Meinir held out a hand.

“I am Rhîwenil, daughter of Hingel of Linhir,” she answered with a smile. Always ready to make a friend and forgive a quarrel, Rhîwenil shook the man’s hand emphatically

“Now,” Meinir said graciously, all tension between them gone, “if there is anything else I can do for you while we are aboard this ship, I will only be too happy to assist you.”

Inclining her head at her newfound friend, Rhîwenil returned, “Thank you, Meinir. I am off to throw something down my gullet before midday.”

He chuckled deeply. “Ah. Watch yourself in there, miss. The boys will be sure to rough with you if you aren’t careful.”

Saying farewell, Rhîwenil went to the mess, grabbed some hardtack biscuits, cheese, salted ham, and a tankard of water, and went back out on deck to avoid the unwanted attentions. Going to the cabin reserved for her, Rhîwenil set her food down and ate sporadically while poring over the book her grandparents and their cousins had given her.

Reading deeper into the text, she perused one chapter entitled “The Legend of Galador.” The very first line went: “After enduring the death of his father and the later departure of his mother, one can understand why Galador’s reign was filled with tumult, obsession, and decline.” Then, “But yet it is said that his was one of the most successful economically, for while the Lord eventually lost his mind, his princedom gained prestige and honor.”

Rhîwenil marked her place in the book, closed it, and stared at the titleThe Line of Dol Amroth: From Ivriniel, Targath, and Previous Kings. But the rulers of Dol Amroth were never called kings, she thought. Galador was the first Lord of Dol Amroth, but not king. Her eyes slid down to the author, a well-known scholar from Imrahil’s reign, Sir Bretin of Port Anon. Rhîwenil knew little about Sir Bretin, other than the fact he often incorporated riddles into his text, hence the one about the Rhedhadin. But, for all his humor, he had been a formidable intellectual and so the maiden and her father had held him in high regard.

But yet, she mused, he called the Lords kings and not their proper title. Maybe it was another of his antics, she concluded with a sigh. Putting the book aside, Rhîwenil sipped her water and pulled out her journal. A quarter of an hour later, she had written only this much:

29 August, The Ninglor

We have been at sea roughly two days a night, and already things have taken an interesting turn. I have come into acquaintance with my cousin Merides, the daughter of Elboron. She is a proud woman, much Éowyn’s granddaughter, and how evident it is that the shieldmaiden’s blood runs through her veins! We had a situation on board where a sailor was strangled by a mutineer named Cutter. It was thought a young lad by the name of Gwalion murdered the man, but he was no more capable of slaying such a large man than a sparrow would of slaying an eagle. Whilst the remainder of the crew was attending upon this scene, I overheard a conversation between Cutter and another man, Lud. Before they broke out into a brawl with each other, Cutter mentioned that Azrakarbú, a scourge of a Corsair, was rumored to be on the search for a gem from Dol Amroth that made Galador go mad, the Rhedhadin. Little do they know the gem in question is in my possession. After this incident, I was confronted by a man who questioned my loyalties and intentions aboard the Ninglor. Meinir was his name, and while we got off to a rocky start, I believe I have found a friend in him.

A knock sounded on her door, and she called out, “Come in!”

-------------------------------------------------------

Sure enough, there was land. She patted Aerith on the shoulder. "Are you sure you shouldn't be in the crow's nest, Aerith? We could use sharp eyes above..."

Aerith was astonished and could only nod his assent and gratitude as the captain walked away. His admiration for her grew tenfold, and he vowed to never let her down. He turned to find Rhen, to tell her the great news, but she appeared to be deep in conversation with another sailor. But, Aerith noticed, he had her arm in a vicegrip. Just as he was about to go over to set the man straight, the man let her go. Rhen went to the mess, and the man headed to the ship's bow.

Aerith was glad the lad had gotten off well. He had never suspected the lad of killing the man.

Life was good, Aerith decided. The sea-breeze ruffled his dark hair, and he was to be promoted already!

(Note: I realize I took a lot of dramatic liberty here. Neither Sir Bretin nor Port Anon exist in Tolkien's works whatsoever, and as I've said before, there is hardly anything written about Galador's reign. If there is anything I need to change though, I will!)

[Edited on 10/19/2008 by Dinenlasse]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email