Register

Author Topic:
Andowen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Knitting?
on: December 01, 2007 02:45
Hey,

Wow, it's been an age since I was on here.

This year I decided that I wanted to make a nice bright red scarf, a knitted scarf, so to do this I had to learn how to knit.

Well, I still haven't made that scarf (although my brother has one, I've made a little dragon, numerous hats and I'm in the middle of making a scarf for my fiance - yup I've gotten engaged since I was on here last) but now I'm looking at making some Christmassy things.

I'm wanting to make everyone I know little Christmas tree decorations (I've got some lovely white wool with silver bits in it) and I was thinking that maybe some of the Elvish flowers would make good Christmas decorations. Does anyone know of any Elvish-style knitting patterns?

Or any Lord of the Rings knitting patterns full stop?

Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Knitting?
on: March 20, 2008 01:15
My suggestion is to go to your local library or bookstore and look through some books of knitting patterns and see if they inspire you! Good luck!
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 02:01
Hey, all fellow knitters . . . :love:

I knit . . . and would love to share patterns & frustrations with fellow knitters ~ any about ??

My present project is a 'Mary Poppins' handbag . . . . just need to cast it off and sew it up and then buy some nice handles to attach. Should be all finished and ready to display by the end of the Weekend !! :love:

Would love to find LOTR patterns . . . .
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 02:58
I used to knit, but haven't for a while now.

As far as LotR is concerned, here are some interesting patterns that might inspire you.

Rune Hooded Sweater
Pippin's scarf
White Tree Sweater. Just follow the link that the person gives at the end of her post. The chart may be more for an advanced knitter, but it might give you ideas.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 04:11
This site has lots of free knitting patterns, and many of them are very elegant and elvish looking!

They have a page of cute Easter projects here

[Edited on 21/3/2008 by pv]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2008 05:11
Thank You ! Thank You ! Thank You ! both of you :love:

I've already found what I'm going to make next . . . Elven slippers for me per pv's wonderful patterns & the gorgeous Rune sweater for my daughter . . . :rolling: Thanks Rose !!! :love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2008 01:41
You are welcome, Pana. I thought of your daughter as soon as I saw that sweater.

Thanks for the other link, pv. Some lovely patterns there.

Almost makes me want to pick up the knitting needles again. Although I have promised myself, with the extra free time I have, that I might start an afghan throw for my couch. Then maybe on to other things, once I have my hand in again.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2008 04:18
You're welcome, Rose and Princess! Glad you found something you liked!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 03:44
So, how's knitting going for anyone? I'm trying to begin a sampler afghan for my sister as a wedding present but I haven't had much time. It'll prove to be interesting!
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2008 10:31
My knitting's going Well, Lady Alya! :love:

There do not seem to be a huge number of acrive knitters about the site though .. . .

Okay, my last knits ~ I mentioned that I just had to sew up my Mary Poppins Carpetbag in my last post at the end of March . . . . Said Bag here!!!

Since then I have knit My Mary Jane Shoes which I absolutely adore!!!!

So much so in fact that I also knit them in Pink with Cables and Sparkles . . . here . . . . . and Stripey !!! . . . here . . . and then made some Pink Ballet Slippers for my Daughter (She's 4) . . . here.

My Most Recent Make was to house my odd balls of leftover yarn . . . . a Beautiful Beaded Dufflebag.

This was tough and took me longer than I thought it would because the beads are knitted into the bag and not added after completion. I am using these leftovers to knit squares (which I do when I have a spare half hour!) so that some day I too will have an Afghan throw for my Rocking Chair!!!!.
That's a long way off though because I have only 11 squares at the moment. . . . .

Next, knit, I've decided on a Wrap Sweater with a lacey Vine Pattern (reminds me of Lothlorien . . . sigh) in a pale blue colour. I've got to buy the yarn yet but i'll post piccies when it's done . . . . .

Anyways, anyone else want to share patterns & problems ???
Wizards_Pupil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2008 12:42
Does anyone here like to Crochet?
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2008 02:50
I Crochet too WP, and when I intend to Crochet lots of designs for the Afghan Sampler Squares that I am slowly progressing with. :love:

I've Crocheted some Cardigans, some Tops, a tote bag and some dolly blankets. :love:

Any interesting patterns ??
Wizards_Pupil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2008 09:39
This is the best site I have found http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2008 12:47
Thanks WP ~ It is a good site :love:
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2008 04:45
I learned how to crochet granny squares finally! (that's a big accomplishment!) I'm making little 'hand warmers' that I'm selling at my mom's work for five dollars a pair...my 'business' is doing well. They are just little fingerless mitt-type things that are SIMPLE to knit. I'm enjoying myself plus making some money. I'm trying to crochet a lap robe for one of my friends for Christmas, but it's not going anywhere because I can't find more yarn at Wal-Mart. *sigh* I have to look elsewhere. I'm also working on an afghan made of random bits of leftover yarn that will be done one day. So knitting is going well! I'm excited!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2010 02:04
I crochet and knit and embroider. I mostly crochet, not a big fan of knitting, thought I know how. And I embroider only when I either don't want to do the other two or don't have the right color yarn on hand. (Which is actually the case right now )
I can give some tips, I have a small library of needle work books, I taught myself almost everything I know. And I don't use patterns though I can follow one reasonably well.
I was delighted when I found this tread! I'm not big joining needlework clubs but I love to talk about it!
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2012 05:35
I enjoy knitting and crochet, and quilting as well. I've never tried any large projects though - I stick to socks, and lampshades, and bags, and things like that! Crochet is great for decorative purposes - you can get some nice textures and patterns. (Shells, bobbles, loops, and things like that!) Does anyone know any good lace patterns?

As for knitting... I find it fun to experiment with cables, slipped stitches, and incomplete rows. (I forget the technical term!)

[Edited on 28/1/2012 by Bartimaeus]
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Knitting?
on: January 03, 2013 10:38
Wow, never realized CoE has a few needle workers. ^.^ I can do a bit of crocheting (don't like it because it seems to take too long.) needle point (don't like it that much because of the problem of filling in empty holes), sewing (of which I do like when the sewing projects are working with me lol), and knitting. Right now I'm working on a knitting project, a cloak. I'm having a bit of a problem with the gauge (probably due to the way I knit and the yarn that I'm using). But I'm sure that I'll get it to work and work well. ^.^

Here's the pattern! http://chrisknitsinniagara.blogspot.com/2011/09/merlot-hooded-cape.html Enjoy.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2013 04:03
I crochet a little and knit. I got a crochet book for Christmas though, so hopefully I'll be getting more accomplished at it.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2013 05:37
I can knit! I knitted a scarf for my older sister.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2013 09:31
I'm addicted to knitting. Mostly I do it for a church ministry that gives hats and scarves to the homeless and others in need ot winter gear. I've also done some baby blankets and a couple of fancier scarves. I'm planning to try an actual pattern pretty soon, probably the six point flower. It doesn't look TOO hard I think.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2013 10:46
Knitting is one my favorite hobbies! lately I have been knitting a lot of fingerless mitts and scarves and a couple of lace shawls.
Here are a few of my projects:

Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 04:47
Wow, those are beautiful, Ariadwen! I love the glove!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 06:22
Gah! I have yet to post a picture of my cloak...I'll try to get that up soon... >.>
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 06:51
Thanks Mereth_Ravenlock! I loved knitting those.

I would love to see a pic of a knitted cloak Lastiel_Rusc!
Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message

Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message

Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message

Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message

Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 12:04
Me too, Lastiel!
Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 02:02
Oh my gosh! This is the first time I came over here since my last post and I have no idea why it posted it that many times! That is crazy and weird.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 07:00
Dang I thought I had a picture of it...Oh well, I'll be wearing it around and I'll make sure to get a good picture of it to post.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 01:09
i am learning how. i am learning this awesome way to cast on! it makes a braided look on the edge of the blanket, scarf, or whatever. so cool and very easy!
Ariadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 02:22
Legolas23 Yay! Fun to learn knitting.
COme join this site if you want,
http://www.ravelry.com
it's great and has lots of free patterns, not to mention all the groups and awesome folks to talk to. If you ever join my username is AhnnahMarina if you want to look me up.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2013 10:46
Finally have a picture of my cloak!
Taug anin ú-daug.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email