Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Retaking Khazad-dûm OOC (recruiting closed, PM me if you want to join)
on: March 30, 2008 03:58
Since most of the games I would have felt comfortable joining appear to be dead or moving at a snail's pace, I have decided to start my own.

Basic Plot: A group of dwarfs (and possibly a man or half elf at my discretion) decide to once and for all clean out the vile "infestation" of orcs deep in the mines of Moria and allow Khazad-dûm to be restored to its former glory. They end up meeting an enemy far more fearsome than they expected. Just a heads up right now, it is NOT a balrog. From Tolkien's writings it appears that Durin's Bane was supposed to be the last of its kind so I can not use that and still fit in with Tolkien's writings.

Looking for: Dwarves (however many wish to join, some kind of family history to do with Moria would be helpful), Men (one at most and he/she has to have a good reason for being there), Half Elf (same as men)

If you are interested please let me know what character you would be using. I will allow multiple characters for each of you as I do not think any sane dwarf would go with a group of 5 or so into the mines. I imagine the party will end up being around a dozen or so (perhaps meaning some with 3, since I have to do the main baddies as well) and I will almost certainly throw in some NPCs along the way as well so don't be worried if you think the group is too small to handle whatever is down there. Well, maybe just maybe you should be.

After I have enough people to start off, I will post the game thread and make my first posting. I will probably end up establishing a posting order unless someone directly interacts with another character in which case a response can be made. My dwarf character will not necessarily be the leader of the party, just the one who came up with the idea so if you think you have a good dwarf leader character let me know.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them in here.

[Edited on 6/6/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: Retaking Khazad-dûm OOC (recruiting closed, PM me if you want to join)
on: March 30, 2008 06:04
Hi, Edraitheru_Melannen.

This sounds interesting! I have a dwarf character Falin. I know the bio's a little 'sketchy', but if you think he'd work, I'd be interested in joining.

I've done quite a bit of RPing - you can see some examples of my writing in Conquering Helcaraxë (playing a cameo in that one - you can find it in the TR Form), A Precious Gift (also in TR), A Shadow Rising (in the TT Forum), and in Eyes of Thorongil (in the TT Archives).

[Edited on 31/3/2008 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2008 09:11
You are welcome to join though I would like to see at least a basic personality for your character. No rush though, I am still working on mine.

I will be playing Frain. He can be found in the database. I will also play the two main enemy leaders and Jotua will have a short stint as a side character on the trip from the Shire to Moria.

We will be starting out at a pub in Bree and traveling to Moria from there. Most of that traveling will be used to get acquainted though I will throw in a few surprises towards the end of that. Once Moria is reached, my side character, Jotua will be leaving the party so I won't be developing him much here. You can ask him questions and such, but I won't be going into detail on him here.

Also if anyone is very knowledgeable about Moria, I would be more than appreciative of your help. At the moment I am re-reading the Fellowship's passage through so I can get a general idea of the place, but help is always good.

That's all for now as I don't want to overload our mods or get in trouble for machine-gun posting.

[Edited on 31/3/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 03, 2008 06:48
Forgot to reply on this - I did put something in for Falin's personality.

Also, I've created a 2nd dwarf - Regin. More will be coming for his history as I can think on it.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2008 10:18
I am definitely in. Wouldn't miss it for the world. You have my sword... or my character's, anyway. (Sorry, very stupid joke.)
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2008 05:18
I have three Dwarves- Nori (in the DB), Broc (coming soon) and Corin (also coming soon.) Can I join?
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2008 05:36
Yes, you are welcome to join. In fact, you may include all three of them if you so wish. I think that should be plenty. I think Gwendeth is using 2, Lol has 1, you have 3 and I have 1 going into Moria. I also have a second character accompanying the group to Moria. Not to mention I have to play some baddies. :evil: I will prepare the first post in the game thread this weekend and hope to have it up by Sunday. I think we should establish a posting order to make it easier to keep track so the order people post once the thread is up is the order we will use, at least for the start.

Edraitheru
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2008 10:38
Alright, I am putting up the first post. When everyone is ready, they can post as well. There are a few guidelines I wish to set for posting right now.

1) This is semi-scripted. This means that I have a course of events laid out. It also means that we have the option of adding other events in if the others wish to do so. If you have anything more than a minor event that you wish to add please put up a post in the OOC thread. We can discuss it and most likely be able to add it in.
2) NO Godmodding. You are not to make another person's character do anything without their prior consent. If you wish to discuss a post and/or get permission there are several ways to do this. I am available via PM, AIM and MSN Messenger.
3) Posts should be at least a paragraph in length. I would prefer closer to three at a minimum, but no one-liners. Long posts are fine, especially for those with several characters. Use correct spelling and grammar please. There is a spell check. Use it.
4) Have fun! The above rules may seem a little strict, but there are good reasons behind all of them. The purpose of this is to have fun writing so please do!

If you have questions about whether something will be allowed in a post or not there are two people to contact.
1) If it has to do with the storyline you may contact me to see if it will fit in.
2) If it has to do with fitting into Tolkien's world, contact gwendeth. As a mod she can answer those questions for you a lot better than I can.

Have fun everyone. Let the adventure begin!

Edit: I have the first post up. Not as long as I would have liked, but it will do for now.

[Edited on 5/4/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 05, 2008 06:14
Nice starting post, Edraitheru! Okay, I've jumped in - hope it's all right!
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2008 08:48
Wonderful, I will post after Rodwen and LOTR_obsessed_loony have introduced their characters. Also, suggestions on a route to the west gate of Moria would be helpful.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2008 02:06
Where is everybody??? Surely this RPG isn't dead already...
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 09, 2008 03:03
Well lol I think it's up to you and Rodwen to post next. I know she's still on limited Internet time. Edraith, did you have a particular order for Rodwen and LOTR to post in, or do you want it to just be established as folks take their initial turns?
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2008 04:00
I'm working on a few more details, and then I'll post. Go ahead and post LOTR. I'll be there soon! (Oh, and Broc and Corin are now in the DB!)
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2008 02:15
Just a heads up to everyone that I will be without easy internet access from Monday, April 14 until Monday, May 5. I may or may not be able to post depending on timing since I would have to do it from a computer lab on campus. Just thought I would let you all know.

Edit: If Rodwen has not posted by the end of this week (aka by Thursday evening) I will be making another post on Friday to keep this going.

[Edited on 14/4/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2008 06:45
I know I am not supposed to double post, but I wanted to bump this to make sure everyone read it. I am without good internet access (and time) for the next ten days. I have finals coming up and will probably get back on here to check another story line, but I honestly can't post in two of them until I get out of school in 10 days. You may continue the journey towards Khazad-dum if you wish. I will give permission for gwendeth to use my characters if need be over the next 10 days. I should be back to regular internet by that time.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 25, 2008 03:12
See you soon!

I'll endeavor to come up with a reasonable post this weekend.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2008 09:32
Ok, my next post is up. If any of you need to know, we are taking the east road out of Bree to the fords and then traveling south to Moria.

Two big things.

First of all, please post IN TURN. I will state it again here. The order is myself, followed by Gwendeth, then LotR_Obsessed_Loony and last Rodwen. It makes things so much easier and organized and helps out those people who are working on their next post from having to rewrite a lot of it.

Secondly, I am not sure whether there was any talk between Rodwen and Gwendeth here:

Nori smiled at the young dwarf- not long an adult. "Aye, laddie, I've been here and there... this is my second journey to Bree, and I've been to Rohan, Gondor, and the like. I've fought goblins, wargs, and other nastie beasties..." She grinned as she rubbed the axe head of her walking-axe. "I take it this is yer first time away from home, then?" At his affirmative answer, she reasurred him. "Ye'll catch on soon enough, laddie."

Please try to make sure you check with others before having characters answer questions about their past, etc. to make sure it stays within the bounds they have set for their character.

That's all for now.

I have my next post up so Gwendeth is up to post next.
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2008 09:02
Glancing at Nori, though, “You’ve been traveling?” Falin inquired, and quite interested, “May I ask what places you’ve seen?”

here's where Gwendeth asked me... I'm not sure what you're getting at, edraith...

Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2008 10:10
Sorry, I was not specific. It appeared that you had Gwendeth's character answer a question the way you wanted it. Now. if it fit's her character's back story, that is all fine and good. I just want to make sure that other people get to reveal their character's history and decisions as they see fit. That is what I was talking about.

So, yes, her character asked yours a questions. Yours responded and then asked a question in return. You then answered the question yourself with Qwen's character. That is what I am concerned about. Obviously, there was no harm or anything intended. I just want to have everyone be able to describe their characters as they see fit and being as that was a question about the history of a character, I would prefer you let Gwendeth have a her character answer. This is just my opinion. If you and Gwen don't mind, then go for it.

Anyway, the big thing is that I have a past all set up for my characters with a decent amount of detail, so I would prefer that if my character is asked a question, I post his answer rather than the person asking the question.

Hope this is not too confusing and you get what I am trying to say. And, like I said, I don't think it was a big deal this time. Just a note for future reference.

Edit: I decided to add something into my post as well. I was going to add it on my next post, but it fits better as far as timing goes right now. It should not change anything that anyone else has been working on as technically, they do not know it is happening. :evil:

[Edited on 9/5/2008 by Edraitheru_Melannen]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2008 08:02
I see what you mean, and I read back to Gwen's first post... I guess I read between the lines and assumed that it was Falin's first journey, seeing that he was so young and inexperienced... sorry! :blush:

Good Point, though.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 12, 2008 02:58
Sorry I haven't weighed in on this yet(terrifically busy weekend, plus Mother's Day on top of it :twitch: ).

Rodwen, I can see your confusion, and, yeah, from reading Falin's profile and my posts it's pretty clear this *is* his first time traveling anywhere. There hasn't been much of a chance yet for conversation on that point, though.

I think that this time I can work with it (I can slip in a whole bunch on Falin's comments lol), but I think it's best in the future (as Edritheru commented) to wait for whatever response the character questioned might want to give.

PS, I hope to start on a post very soon. I owe one in another thread first, but then will get onto this one.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2008 03:54
Glad we got that all worked out! This has started off well so far. I am very pleased, it being my first RPG and all.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2008 03:58
Apologies to the admins for the double post, but I just wanted to post that LotR_Obsessed Loony is up next to post to avoid any confusion.

Looking good so far guys. Here's an update on the scripting. I will be moving the group to the edge of the mountains when it is my turn to post unless there are any major questions left unanswered so if you have anything you want your character to do before this, either do it now or let me know and I will hold off on moving ahead that far. I just want to make sure this story keeps moving.

Not to mention, I have a few surprises I am anxious to get to. :evil:

Update on characters:
1) Jotua will not be leaving the group as I originally planned as I need to keep a good amount of characters around.
2) I will be adding another character nearer to Moria.
3) I will be adding some NPC dwarves as well. If you have any ideas for them in your posts please run it by me, though I imagine that most will be okay. I just have a few plans for them that require certain things to happen.

Keep up the good writing.
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 12:51
Greetings, everyone!

I will be jumping into the story, as of tonight. My new addition to the story, the Dwarven architect Bragin, will join you quickly. And we'll see what Mahal the maker has in store for us all!

HALROHIR
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 01:30
Yay! Halrohir! Great to have the master writer with us!!! Thanks for joining the group of grumpy dwarves!

A thought occured to me- am I the only one playing a female character, besides Christina? It seems odd to me... usually there are more girls around... *smiles evily* gonna have some fun....
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 02:41
Yay, Hal!!

Glad to have you with us!

And, lol Rod! Well, actually there weren't as many women (of any race) written about in Tolkien's works as there were males.
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2008 03:12
Yay! Halrohir! Great to have the master writer with us!!! Thanks for joining the group of grumpy dwarves!

Here's to hoping I can earn that praise once more... hee hee...

A thought occured to me- am I the only one playing a female character, besides Christina? It seems odd to me... usually there are more girls around... *smiles evily* gonna have some fun....

Well, it's true that you don't see many Drawf-dames - they are so alike in voice and appearence, that they're often mistaken for Dwarf-men!
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2008 10:54
Due to issues with not posting regularly and some writer's block, I will be writing LotR_obsessed_loony's character, Christina, out of this RPG. For ease of my writing, please do not begin any conversations or such with her between now and my post.

I believe Rodwen is next up to post.

Thanks,
Edraitheru
iron_weaver
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2008 04:30
hey I was wondering if it was too late too join
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 04, 2008 10:07
Hi,

I just got an email from Rodwen that she's asked me to pass along. She's been grounded from COE for a while (apparently been on here too much for her folk's liking). As soon as she's cleared to, she'll be back.

Edraitheru, it's up to you if you want to skip Rodwen's turn and go on to the next poster for the time being? I think my characters were the only ones specifically who are interacting with hers at the moment, so it's quite all right with me to continue on.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2008 04:46
Let me get everything worked out to see if we have another player. I will just have Rodwen's characters tag along and not do much of anything. If it gets to be too long, I will have to write them out, but for now I will do my best to keep them in.
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2008 04:48
hey I was wondering if it was too late too join

Nope, do you have a specific character you plan on using? I need to review your character before letting you join.

Limits on characters are as follows: no elves, no half-elves (we already have one and that is plenty), men ok, dwarves ok, hobbits ok.

Let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Edraitheru
Edraitheru_Melannen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2008 06:44
Ok, first off some announcements.

LotR_Obsessed_Loony's character Christina has been written out as she was unable to continue with the story.

Rodwen's characters will be used by Gwendeth until Rodwen can return and take them over again. Gwendeth should be in contact via e-mail with Rodwen so this will not hurt the story too much.

The current posting order is:
1) Edraitheru
2) Gwendeth (and Rodwen's characters for now)
3) Halrohir
4) Rodwen (when she returns)

Your characters may engage the remaining dwarves as they see fit. Note that I said Frain went to help the Stronghammers. I am leaving it up to Gwendeth to write in any help he may give and trust her to use Frain for the remainder of this short battle sequence during her post.

The figure in the woods will be revealed in my next post so please do not write in anything following the battle besides maybe checking to see if people are all right.

The orc that ran off towards the woods has escaped so no use trying to bring him down.

I think that should cover it. If you have any questions you can contact me via MSN Messenger or PM on here. Halrohir, if you want me to get on Yahoo just give me a good time and I will see what I can do.
Halrohir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2008 02:58
If you have any questions you can contact me via MSN Messenger or PM on here. Halrohir, if you want me to get on Yahoo just give me a good time and I will see what I can do.
All this sounds good to me, my dear.
I'll just wait for Gwen's post, and then go with it from there.
*cough* Gwen, your turn!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 09, 2008 03:42
I'm working on it I'm working on it! lol! :angel:

Edit: I heard back from Rodwen finally, and have permission to write for her characters. She's expecting to be gone for at least a month, if not more.

[Edited on 10/6/2008 by gwendeth]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email