Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Post OOC--The Battle for Ithilien
on: November 17, 2008 08:22
Hello everyone, this is the OOC thread for the Totally Tolkien "battle for Ithilien" thread. Please post here before jumping into the actual thread.

The timeline where this thread takes place will be during the war of the ring where Ithilien is still under the control of Faramir's rangers, and they are still battling for control of it with the Southrons and Orks.

Thanks so much!

~ToRivendell~
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: OOC--The Battle for Ithilien
on: November 17, 2008 09:12
Hello ToRivendell
I have some questions about your RP:
Is the fight the major part of it?
Do you control the captain of this group? Is it Faramir?
The players that join will play the rangers?
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2008 11:14
The fight will be a significant part, but not the determining factor by any means. This thread is meant to explore and grow beyond just the initial fight for Ithilien.

The captain is Faramir, and yes, I will mostly control his actions, though I will not be using him to steer the story by any means. The people who join will determine where the story goes, and my only plans for Faramir are essentially for him to allow it to happen.

The people who join are welcome to play Rangers or their own characters, provided they can give a somewhat reasonable explanation for their entrance into the story.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to jump in.

~ToRivendell~
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 17, 2008 01:28
ToRivendell and Mirach,

Please check your PMs (Private Messages) before you continue with this thread as well as the thread in Totally Tolkien (which has been temporarily closed until I hear back from you).

Thank you.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The TT thread connected to this OOC thread has been moved to the Tolkien Related Forum.

[Edited on 18/11/2008 by BerethEdhellen]
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2008 05:55
Please take note:

The timeframe for this thread has been moved to directly following the war of the ring, not during it as it was before. Please see the actual thread for more details as to the setting, and please post here before joining the thread.

Much appreciated,

~ToRivendell~
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 19, 2008 05:49
hello. I am thinking about joinin your RPG. but, i've never done RPG before and don't know how to get started...what should i do?

I made a character, a she-elf...and right now, the way your story is set up i could easlily put her in maybe? if not maybe a suggestion for a character? (Eowilindë)

i dont know...anyways, some help appreciated.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2008 12:49
Welcome Erucenindë! :hug:
First of all: you should have fun I started with roleplaying only about 2 months ago (on other site) and I love it. Yes, and you should read all the rules that are topped in the RPG forums. Yours other questions should answer ToRivendell, since he is the GM of this story, I only wanted to say that I'm glad that you are here
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2008 04:55
You are most welcome here Eruceninde.

First off I would suggest you make sure you read all of the RPG rules. (Yes, they are long, but they will clear a LOT of your questions up.)

After that, just feel free to jump in. You can look at a few other RPG threads on this site for some good ideas as to how things work, but basically, you should just find a way for your character to be introduced into the story, and start having fun!

(We are both fairly new too, so don't feel any crazy pressure to be an expert at this immidiately.)

Hope to hear from you soon.

~ToRivendell~
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 20, 2008 06:34
ok. i jumped in!
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 12:44
Erucenindë, I think you shouldn't control other people's characters in a rpg. You act for your character only and, like in real life you can't know what the others are thinking and how they will react. To write a flowing dialogue, we could "co-post" - do the dialogue per PMs or chat and then post it as one reply. This time I think Lenar would react exactly how you described it, so I won't post now because you did it for me. But next time, if you want Lenar to ask some question or do something, just ask me and he'll do it gladly.

And I think (but this is only my opinion) that you don't have to repeat everything what the other characters said. You could write simply: "On his question, she answered:..." or something like that.

And since everyone of us is learning, I have a request to you both: please tell me when my grammar isn't correct or I use some improper words, sometimes I don't know what to do with all the synonyms Thank you!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 02:44
o ok. i was actually wondering about that. sorry, didn't mean to get in trouble. but, i kinda figured that sometimes we might have to do that from time to time, like, minorly only. but if you dont want it that's ok.

and as for the repitiion, i was just thinkin on a way to get around that.

once agian, i apologize, Mirach.

and as for your grammer, so far it's been really good! but i'll let you know if it ever didn't make sense. (which i doubt it will!)
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 04:25
I'm not principially against it, but among the rules, there is this one:
"No Manipulation of another persons character without their permission."

So let me know if you want to do it and what you want to do and I'll do the same. Agreed?

And thank you, I'm glad I make sense
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2008 01:27
Since the posting order is a little off at this point, I'm going to post again to get things back on the track they were at before. After that we can get back into the flow we had working before.

Thanks to both of you for joining btw, I am looking forward to seeing where this story goes.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 24, 2008 12:52
ok, now i'm confused...who's supposed to go next? Me or Mirach?
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2008 01:16
I thought there is no order, only the story... According to my opinion you can post when you are online and know what to write about. In this moment, I don't know it because I'm waiting for Eowilindë's answer to react on.
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2008 03:14
It's pretty much up in the air. I don't believe in a "set" posting order, just what works. So, if it seems logical for your character to be doing something, then you should post. The "order" isn't really that important, especially with a group of this size.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 24, 2008 04:59
o ok! lol :blush: sorry yall are waiting on me...you said posting order and i just thought....:blush: sorry! well i posted now!
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 24, 2008 05:06
It is generally preferred that you form an order for posting for the following reason:

Some players are not online as often as others. As a result, those posting out of order could possibly move too far ahead for the less active player to catch up, which isn't fair to that player and frequently ends with them dropping out.

We've noticed that there are only 3 players in this thread and that all 3 of you seem to be (at this time) online daily. That works for all of you now but what if one of you cannot log on for some real life reason for several days? I think you can see the results, no?

Ergo, it would be best to keep a order for posting unless you're all in agreement that it doesn't matter at this time. However if you post in any other thread, be sure to maintain the order of posts.

Thanks,
Bereth
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 24, 2008 05:11
I agree. Right now it's ok, but it could easily be "not ok" later....what do yall think?
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2008 12:14
I had exactly the same reason as Bereth against the order: when one of us can't be on-line for a longer time, the other two must wait for him and in the position of the one, I wouldn't want to restrain the others. I must admit I didn't think about catching up, so I'll heed the advice of more experienced

But since we are only 3 so far, it shouldn't be so strict. Like now, there was a conversation between your characters that I didn't want to interrupt...

And it looks like Lenar is going to do some scouting... ToRivendell, do you have an idea what he should find or can I improvise?
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2008 02:28
As far as posting order goes, right now it seems fine (From my perspective at least.) With a group of 3 people its usually not a huge issue, though Bereth has a good point about leaving people behind. However, we can easily establish a really solid order later if we need to. I don't feel the need for a set-in-stone order as of this moment as the story sometimes makes that awkward, but if the two of you both desire one, we can make one.

Mirach,

I left the scouting idea open to your choice (I didn't want to force your character into anything), hence the question at the end. Feel free to go, or not go, as you please. That was just an idea I decided to float. As to what you could find, feel free to improvise on that count. I had envisioned at least a large, fairly fortified camp, but if you have any creative ideas by all means, put them in there.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 25, 2008 05:43
i think it's ok right now not to have a posting order, but during the holidays i will probably be forced to not get on as much... so...i dont know. i guess we can just see how it goes.
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2008 04:56
Hey guys...I've been reading your RPG with much interest lately, and I was wondering if I could join in. I made up a character specifically for this RPG, which you can see here .

In case you're wondering how Aerdaneth could fit into the story, I was mulling over that before I fell asleep the other night (lol, LOTR addict). I thought I could work it out this way, prior to the RPG, her father died...she remained by the sea coasts for a year or more, but the sea had lost some of its...peace for Aerdaneth. So she travels along the river and eventually stumbles upon your group. She has no particular reason for hating orcs, but she had hunted them with her father (and he fought in the war of the ring) so she decides to hook up with your group.

So, how's that sound? If that's okay with you guys, I'd love to jump in this RPG.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2008 11:06
I like your character, Adara, but I'm not sure about the time-frame we are in. You write that she was born after the war and this RP is taking place immediately after it, so she would be a kid in that time... Is it possible to shift her history one generation backwards? (Maybe she could be a daughter of some Imrahil's relative?) Maybe ToRivendell will have some suggestions...
And welcome in Ithilien!

edit: as I'm thinking about it, I'm less sure that I understand the time-frame right. I imagined it about 2-3 years after the war. ToRivendell, when are we?

[Edited on 27/11/2008 by Mirach]
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2008 06:54
Mirach, you may have a point there...I wasn't quite sure about the time frame myself. No worries though, if I need to shift her back a generation, that would be perfectly acceptable.

ToRivendell, what would be your say on this matter?
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2008 08:28
Hello everyone, sorry for the delay (Thanksgiving weekend).

Adara, you are most welcome to join. I found your character's Bio to be quite interesting and most in-depth. As far as the time frame, Mirach's suggestions seems to be best (Moving her birth back a few years so she's a bit older at the time of this RPG.)

Feel free to make the necessary changes, and post when you feel its best!

~ToRivendell~
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2008 07:14
Hey ToRivendell,

No problem, I hope you had a good thanksgiving.

Great, glad you approve of the character. ^_^ I'll move her back a couple years...might have to change her father (but keep his character/story) or something. I'll do that as soon as I get a chance and post when it seems most appropriate.

Thanks for letting me join, guys. I'm pretty pumped for this!
ToRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 08:30
Hey everyone, I have an idea I'd like to pitch out.

I was debating putting an ambush into the march to the new encampment. Nothing too serious, (meaning no characters getting seriously hurt) but I think it'd be a good way to get some interaction going besides conversation, and for Adara to find an entrance into the story.

Thoughts?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 09:23
sounds good.

Like, we could be near the river, and get ambushed, Adara's character near enough she hears and helps? just an idea......
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 03:40
wow, that was a long post!
I wanted to write this in more posts but as a scout, I felt obliged to warn you about the ambush But I left to you to decide if he reaches you in time.
I'm sorry about killing Galdor, I was beginning to like him...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 04:19
You killed Galdor! *cries* In loving memory of Galdor...*sniff*

Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 08:47
Poor Galdor...

Alright, guys, hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and posted. I also edited my character's history so she's actually old enough to be alive at this point. lol. Sorry if my post was too long. If there's anything you want me to change, I'm okay with that.

Also, I made it so someone was going to stumble upon her and Galdor's dead body...I figured if you want it could be your character, Mirach, or the other rangers, or if none of the above is what you want (i realize they're still only 100 yrds from the orc camp), it can just be a couple orcs and she can kill them or something.

Whatever you guys want.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2008 11:37
I fear it's a couple of orcs... Lenar is running in the opposite direction and rangers are several hours of walking away... Or it could be one of the black men.

And I hope you didn't want to be ambushed bacause I warned you already

[Edited on 2/12/2008 by Mirach]
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: December 02, 2008 04:39
ok, so i made it like some orcs from the battle stumbled across her, and Eowilindë followed them and killed them, and is about to find Adara's character...hope that's alright.

ah, suspense!
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2008 10:58
The orc camp and Adara's character are two hours of running from the river in her last post... But I have a suggestion: she could have a horse somewhere in the forest and be in time for the battle or come after it. If she wants to bring poor Galdor to the rangers, it would be easier with a horse, too.

Lenar is unconscious during the battle, so I will post after its end.

[Edited on 2/12/2008 by Mirach]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email