Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
Post 221b Baker Street - the stop for all Sherlock Holmes fans!
on: December 29, 2008 05:06
So, the discussion of our favorite Sherlock Holmes came up, and the idea to start a thread also came along. So I started a thread!

Stop here for all discussion on Sherlock Holmes and his trusty sidekick, Dr. Watson! :love:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote 4 novels and 58 shortstories. Perhaps you have a favorite? Tell us about it!

Questions? Discussion? Feel free!

[Edited on 12/30/2008 by Erucenindë]
OldToby
CoE Vounteer
Send Message
Post RE: 221b Baker Street - the stop for all Sherlock Holmes fans!
on: January 18, 2009 05:08
Old Toby here...

I just found this thread tonight. I am a huge fan of sherlock Holmes!!! Yes let's have a discussion.

My favorite...probably ":evil: The Hound of the Baskervilles", but maybe because it has been made into at least 2 movie versions. Then again...I enjoyed ":heart: A Scandal in Bohemia" too!

“ Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.” J.R.R. Tolkein The Hobbit
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 21, 2009 05:58
eeeeeee! I thought this thread might have died....

well, I've never seen any of the movies. i have seen a few of ones i think were part of a TV show once...

It would be hard for me to tell my favorite! I guess out of the 4 novels, The Hound would have been my fav. It was the first one I read. The first Sherlock Holmes story I ever read was the Red-Headed League.

Has anyone ever been to the SH museum in London? I want to go there so bad, but i'd have to go to London first...
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 09:50
Yea,Eruce,I'd like to go to London period myself!

I've read the first three collections of short stories (Adventures,Memoirs and Return) and have read "The Sign of the Four."

Haven't been able to get my hands on "Hounds" yet. Really want too.

I love the Jeremy Brett TV series. He /is/ Holmes. I refuse to accept any other.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 12:28
You love Jeremy Brett as Holmes too Lucy!?!? I think he made the best Holmes by far. The only other Holmes I can watch is Basil Rathbone, but other than that I agree that Brett made the best Holmes:love:

I've read lots of the short stories....none of the novels yet, but at least 25 of the short stories
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 05:32
Thanks, Erucenindë! This one will work just fine. I'll close the other one...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 06:11
Your welcome, LadyCeleborn.

I have not seen Jeremy Brett before as Sherlock Holmes, but from everyone I have seen my favorite is Basil Rathbone.

I have every short story and novel Doyle wrote on Holmes... I love reading them.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2010 01:32
Has anyone seen the new movie? I absoutely love it!
heh heh...thanks Lady Cele
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2010 05:15
Nope,not planning on it.

I might not be a 'Rings purist,I've laxed a bit on being a Narnia purist.

But I'm a Holmes purist. No other way for me...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: January 04, 2010 05:57
Nope. I won't see the movie either.

1. Has content in it I will not watch.

2. It is nowhere near the Holmes I know. And the Holmes I know, he's way cooler than Movie!Holmes.

I watched the trailer... I did not like it at all. They made Holmes to be some brauny person when he really used his wits more than his fists. Granted, he used violence before, but only because he had no other choice.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2010 04:21
I'm pretty much a Holmes 'purist' too.
The movie made Holmes kinda grungy looking, not how I would have imagined him at all.....Jeremy Brett was perfect I think
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2010 04:33
uh oh... I'm kinda afraid to post my faves amongst all you Homles purists, jk lol.
Call me an old fogey (although I'm not even 18 yet ) but I really like the old, old, old Sherlock Holmes. I'm talking 1956 black and white Ronald Howard and H. Marion Crawford Sherlock Holmes. I think I like that particular TV series because Holmes isn't rude or haughty, and Dr Watson is actually intellegent and his character has a chance to really grow. And maybe I just like old stuff .
I bought a small book with a few of A. Conan Doyle's short stories in it, but haven't got around to reading it yet. Maybe I should pick it up before coming back lol
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2010 01:06
I love old movies and tv series too eowen_the_queen I haven't seen that version of Holmes though...I'll have to look it up. Do you watch TCM? They've been playing Holmes recently...several different versions. I liked the Watson in the Basil Rathbone ones, but I like Holmes in the Jeremy Brett ones
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2010 11:50
I have the TV series too . I like it . I also have a huge book of all the short stories and novels. I got it for Christmas . I've started reading them, and then I got addicted and I forgot about reading my books for school, (which I need to have read by Friday)...XP I'm slacking on them...Holmes is better anyday.
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2010 03:40
So I got five Sherlock stories in one volume from the library. The first one (A study in scarlet) was really good, and the second is promising, but I was disapointed to find out about Sherlock's dirty little secret (found in 'The sign of the four')
But in all fairness, A.C. Doyle was a literary genius.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2010 03:48
but I was disapointed to find out about Sherlock's dirty little secret (found in 'The sign of the four')
But in all fairness, A.C. Doyle was a literary genius.

I think if Doyle wrote it now he wouldn't have put that in, but back then I don't think it was considered that bad and in Holme's time it would have been acceptable
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2010 01:14
I understand that, but it's still disappointing, you know? I still totally enjoy these stories, though, and find myself looking at detail more lol
I'm also more apt to find a mystery in every dark corner, and so mom has to lecture me every so often lol
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: 221b Baker Street - the stop for all Sherlock Holmes fans!
on: April 25, 2012 10:08
I liked the 2009 movie, though my sisters all thought it was too gruesome
I was interested in the books before i watched the movie of course. I really liked the Hound of the Baskervilles, probably my favourite one. I've also read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, a collection of short stories, as well as another volume or two of short stories, and i've listened to a six cassette tape volume of the radio dramas from the (30s? maybe) and 40s. Here's a link to them online, http://www.botar.us/sherlockholmes.html
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 25, 2012 01:59
I'm a huge Sherlock fan too, my all time favourite Holmes being Jeremy Brett, as a few of you have also said. Seriously, that man was a genius! I've heard some discussion over which Watson people prefer in that series though, so who do you prefer Burke or Hardwicke?

I decided I'd never watch the new movies with Downy Jr. they seemed too far away from the Holmes I know and love. I'd have liked to see Steven Fry as Mycroft.

However I have watched and quickly got addicted to the 'modern' BBC Sherlock series starring our favourite hobbit and dragon. When this series first came out I swore I'd never watch it. (I saw half of the second episode and hated it) But about a year and a half later a friend pursuaded me to re-try them, I watched the first ep, and was amazed. The feel to them is just right, the acting is great, and some of the writing is superb (the second ep is still my least favourite). Then the second season came out. Wow. I won't post spoilers, but the last episode of the second season is not to be missed!

So my favourite traditional Holmes will always be Brett. Wasn't he just born to wear that suit? And the amount of himself he dedicated to the role, amazing. And I quite like Cumberbatch as a modern Sherlock, he really looks the part, and can act it very convincingly.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2012 08:12
The books never said he had to wear the same suit all the time though...
Seriously, I love Sherlock Holmes probably about as anyone here, but I liked the 2009 movie too.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 03, 2012 05:23
I like the new movies as well as the old interpretations. Downy Jr. is definitely the farthest away from the traditional Holmes, but I still like the movies as a different aspect. Downy Jr. delves more into the crazy, drug-addicted side of Holmes that we don't always see, but know is there.

I love the new BBC episodes of the modern day Holmes. Brilliantly done! They are executed wonderfully and I love the actors. I think they are my favorite interpretations, even though it is set modern day.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: May 04, 2012 12:35
I was discussing this with my best friend the other day, and she's trying to get me to watch the new films.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2012 09:26
I love Sherlock Holmes! I've read many of the stories, and the only movie interpretation I've seen is the RDJr version. Jude Law and Robert have a very unique and funny take on Sherlock and John's relationship. But I reallllllly want to watch BBC's Sherlock. *nods frantically*
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2012 09:28
Quote from calenmarwen on April 25, 2012, 23:59
I'd have liked to see Steven Fry as Mycroft.

Well, I believe he does in the 2009 movie.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: August 27, 2012 11:17
You haven't seen 'Sherlock' yet? Well you must! Starring Smaug and Bilbo! The DVDs are a bit expensive Stateside but you can get secondhand ones pretty cheap in UK on a certain website. Region 2 though. Plug computer into TV? Do it. Brilliant series.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2012 11:27
^ I know! It's just that my mum's a bit hesitant about letting me watch it. *sad* Is there any content in it that might make her say no?

And as a side note, has anyone heard about the new Holmes-based show coming out this fall? It's called "Elementary." It looks interesting, but strange. John Watson becomes Joan Watson, who is played by a woman.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2012 12:13
Quote from tarcolan on August 28, 2012, 09:17
The DVDs are a bit expensive Stateside but you can get secondhand ones pretty cheap in UK on a certain website.

And unfortunately I don't llive in the UK.

Ps. Sorry for all the double-posting
tarcolan
Send Message
on: August 31, 2012 01:06
They'll mail them to the US. It's classified as 12 or PG but the only way for your mum to judge whether they're suitable is for her to watch them first, heh heh.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2012 05:41
Are you talking about the 2010 Sherlock tv series set in the 21st century?
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2012 07:30
Eehehe thanks tarcolan!!

And Leo, yes. Yes we are.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2012 08:40
Well, if your mom wants to know about content details, i would recommend imdb.com (The Internet Movies Database) You can look up like any movie there and view the parents content advisory (which is a complete list of all the content details)
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2012 05:44
^^ Yeah, I go on CommonSenseMedia.com which gives all of the specifics. I think I should be allowed to watch it, except for "A Scandal in Belgravia" I still haven't showed my mum the reviews yet though.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: September 02, 2012 07:36
Some of the episodes can be a little scary, and the last one in particular has a strong emotional impact, but as you said the only one I think you need avoid is Series 2 Episode 1 due to the nudity.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2012 09:55
^ Yeah, that's what I thought.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: September 19, 2012 02:27
Great news! A third series of 'Sherlock' will be made some time next year. I can't wait.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email