Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elinor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Who didn't you like?
on: January 27, 2003 09:31
Sorry if there has been a topic like this before, but I was just wondering out of the performances in FOTR and TTT was there any that just didn't appeal to you?

I personally, and I may get some abuse for this, didn't really like Hugo Weaving as Elrond. I've just got off the phone from my friend after a long debate about this, so I'm really too tired to type my reasons why. Let's just leave it at he just didn't do it for me.

Anyone else think any of the performances were a little disappointing?
WeskerWannabe
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Who didn't you like?
on: January 27, 2003 09:39
I didn't really find any performances disappointing, but instead I found them to be annoying or a bit out of character compared to FOTR. For example, Gimli being funny in TTT. I actually liked it, but it was out of character. Somehow I just didn't picture him being funny, but he was. Go figure. Also, I found that Frodo was a bit annoying. I can't explain it, he just was. Uh, yeah, I think I'm probably going to get in trouble for this from certain people (sorry guys!!!), but I absolutely cannot stand Arwen! Not in FOTR, not in TTT, not ever!!:evil:

[Edited on 27/1/2003 by WeskerWannabe]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: January 27, 2003 01:58
I agree with you WeskerWannabe about Arwen. I mean they like gave her a bigger role, which really annoys me! And she'll probably be in RoTK too! She's even on the promotional RoTK calendar, that really annoys me! I think PJ favors Liv or something.(I know I'll get abuse for this)

[Edited on 29/1/2003 by Lady~Eowyn]
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 03:50
They have to put Liv there, it's no use spending so much time and effort on a movie if you're going to have a very limited pool of viewers coming to watch the movies.

She also enhances Aragorn's story. You wouldn't feel half as bad if he had no one in the world to depend on, Arwen is sort of like family to him, which he can always look back for support.

I did not really like Elijah Wood's portrayal. Dont' mistake me- I adore Elijah Wood and I like the Book character, but somehow the book Frodo didn't really turn out to be the same in the movie. I suppose it's for film, the two are totally different, but the book Frodo is more admirable and strong, while the movie Frodo is lovable and cuddly, cries more than is stated in the book.

I suppose PJ knows what he is doing, being a LOTR fan as himself
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 04:22
1. Marton Czokas
2. Hugo Weaving
3. Orlando Bloom
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 06:58
Oooh you could get lynched for number 3 there Figwit I thought he was a very good actor and considering he come out of nowhere and did put so much into his character he became one of my favorites

Actually (and I may get in trouble for this one too) I didn't like Craig Parker (Haldir) too much. See, he was a good actor to a degree, but in general he always seemed as though he were trying too hard to sound like an elf.

This was sort of Marton Csokas' problem, although with Marton Csokas you more got the idea that Celeborn didn't speak in the common tongue often, because in the Extended Cut, right when he switches to Elvish, he fairs much better.

But Craig Parker just didn't really have that, he was best, therefore, when he wasn't talking.

I think the thing that put me off Craig Parker to begin with was the laughable way that he said 'Lord Celeborn' in the Extended Cut! He sounded like he had a stuffy nose and the shot was not filmed too well and he looked really wierd. Altogether it sort of annoyed me with his character from the start.

This report brought to you by Lady Arwen who has many places in the hills in which to hide in case the Haldir-Fans start a mob.
Dolenmetiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 08:19
Personally I didnt like David Wenham's performance. Of course the poor guy was in trouble from the start because he isn't the Faramir from the book, but I also think he acts kinda... wooden.
Wooden?? Wonder if Lij's mom thought of that before she got him into acting??

Dolen
Lil_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 08:50
I would have to agree to a point about Craig Parker. I cannot even put my finger on why he bothered me in the fellowship. However, after seeing the two towers I had a new found like for him. Did anyone else feel that way? Somehow he just seemed better or something.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 05:16
*laughs* When it comes to Craig Parker and me... familiarity breeds content!! I liked him in FotR and was stunned by his death in TTT, even though I knew it was coming. Geez, if I hadn't known I'd have been crying my eyes out... :cry: :cry: :cry:
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 08:07
david wenham as faramir(although i loved faramir in the books).that was just wrong to make him so...i dont know..evil?and elijah wood and sean astin..(.frodo & sam) just didnt seem as believeble as in the FOTR.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 08:11

I did not really like Elijah Wood's portrayal. Dont' mistake me- I adore Elijah Wood and I like the Book character, but somehow the book Frodo didn't really turn out to be the same in the movie. I suppose it's for film, the two are totally different, but the book Frodo is more admirable and strong, while the movie Frodo is lovable and cuddly, cries more than is stated in the book.

I ditto that...it's exactly how I felt about it. I really disliked his FotR, meaning no offense and I hope none is taking,but the book frodo had more depth. However, his TTT was great,so he's forgiven As if he cared what my perspective on this was! I certainly am not an actor...anyone who's any good at it is incredible....so I doubt I'm truley fit to critize. And no offense to fans...I can see where he'd be cute,but like the others, not my type.
Figwit
Send Message
on: January 29, 2003 10:28
Oooh you could get lynched for number 3 there Figwit I thought he was a very good actor and considering he come out of nowhere and did put so much into his character he became one of my favorites

well, that they come and try, Lady-Arwen!

I just didn't like his performance most of the time... sometimes he's pretty wicked (I can't find another word) but he turned Legolas into this really stern and cold creature, head up in the clouds, always serious... ack!

and before anyone goes 'It's not Orli's fault, PJ told him to do that...' ... I read a lot of interviews with Miranda Otto and she didn't agree with some of the changes made to Éowyn: she protested. It's not like she's a celebrated actress with tons of experience either (a bit more, but still). Even in scenes where her lines are very un-Éowyn, she tries to act Éowyn.

as for Haldir... I forgot about him. He would kick Orlando out of the top 3 anyways... aaaaargh, disco Elf. I just don't like him, he's too much like a cat seducing prey... all the time! Worst of all: he's not even playing a cat!

The only thing I like about Haldir (aside from the many jokes my brother, sister and I have made up about him) is that he dies in TTT: as I said elsewhere, it makes his appearance slightly useful and shows not only the weakness of the Elves but mainly the horror of war.

So, do I get two screaming mobs behind me now?
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 30, 2003 05:10
well, that they come and try, Lady-Arwen!

*sigh* Don't they EVER!

but he turned Legolas into this really stern and cold creature, head up in the clouds, always serious... ack!

I don't feel he was too serious. See, I think in the book he WAS a lot less serious, but then, in this case, everyone gained a little bit of sterness just because there was little time for humor. Not (of course) to say that they abbandoned it altogether. There were scenes like Boromir 'fighting' the Hobbits and Aragorn, Eowyn and Gimli and the 'dwarven women' conversation, but in general, if there WAS humor to be given, Legolas was usually the last to get it since he was supposed to be an elf

But he got humor! Like the 'counting dead orcs' at Helm's Deep, his 'find you a box' line, telling Aragorn flat out he looked 'terrible', and he worked up to a smile at least 5 times in TTT alone

So you can give him a little benifit of a doubt

So, do I get two screaming mobs behind me now?

*laughs* Oh probably, but I have some more hiding places in the hills if you want one
Figwit
Send Message
on: January 30, 2003 05:24
oh well, hardly anyone knows where my cave in the Misty Mountains is so... I'll be okay

well, I have to admit, they tried to restore him in TTT, but it just doesn't work so well because he was so wrong in FOTR

to me, Legolas was a merry Elf, closer to the Elves described by Tolkien in The Hobbit. I don't think the Elves as portrayed in the movies quite measure up to the ones described in the books: it's not because you're wise and calm that you can't also be merry...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 30, 2003 06:59
im inclined to agree with figgy, though i have to say i woudlnt call halidr a glitter ball (strange woman you are ) in both films with him in i couldnt really see the elvishness coming through, he just wasnt anything like i imagined the book haldir (yeah i know he wasnt in the book long either) and i dont think he looked like an elf, or particularly acted like one.

legolas, he had the whole etheral elf beauty and walk thing goign on.... but was far less playful than he was in the books- man im just agreeing with figgy here... yeah in the last part of TTT they got his personality down better but the rest of his lines- well they concentrated on his sense of dangers and not his sense of fun! (so missed the- i go to find the sun bit )

this was probably partly to do with the time they had and the lines he was given, on cahadras they just didnt spend huge amounts of time debating things, so i guess he couldnt run off and do his sun thing, and other times i guess there just wanst time for humour.

i also dont like arwen, becuase to me she doesnt look like an elf. thats it nothign wrong with her performance i think- she just doenst look like an elf.

celebron, even in the X-dvd i still found his lines painful, but i have only watched x-dvd once he may grow on me! then again i didnt really like him in the book so its no suprise there.

i loved all the hobbits, allt he men, the wizards and the nasties were all amazing... im just haveing an elf problem by the looks of it. (gimli mostly rocked too except the uneccesary clumsiness)
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 30, 2003 12:31
oh well, hardly anyone knows where my cave in the Misty Mountains is so... I'll be okay

Oh, well I'm glad to hear it

to me, Legolas was a merry Elf, closer to the Elves described by Tolkien in The Hobbit. I don't think the Elves as portrayed in the movies quite measure up to the ones described in the books: it's not because you're wise and calm that you can't also be merry...

*giggles* Well....yeah...I suppose he was 'merry' but then considering how much those Wood Elves 'love their wine' he may have just had one drink too many J/K I just feel they made a conscious effort to balance his character. In a book that's so long that is then transformed into a movie that's can only be so long, you just don't have a lot of time to spend on making characters amusing or merry. *sigh* It's just the way it must be
Figwit
Send Message
on: January 31, 2003 07:41
im inclined to agree with figgy, though i have to say i woudlnt call halidr a glitter ball (strange woman you are )

whhoooohoooo k! * pulls out We Love K Banner *

in the last part of TTT they got his personality down better but the rest of his lines- well they concentrated on his sense of dangers and not his sense of fun! (so missed the- i go to find the sun bit)

yup, that's exactly what I meant...

In a book that's so long that is then transformed into a movie that's can only be so long, you just don't have a lot of time to spend on making characters amusing or merry

Oh, Lady-Arwen, I think they were just a bit prejudiced: they wanted everyone to think of Elves as etheral creatures so they kind of 'forgot' the other qualities

it's a tragic case of typecasting:

-Dwarves: hey, it's low to the ground and it's got a beard - why don't we make it sound like a Welshman and give him some really funny oneliners?
-Hobbits: sweet, cuddly, cute and funny.. like My Little Pony
-Elves: etheral, beautiful, slow, calm, peaceful, wise... in short very boring

but I just LOVE the movies
Aragorn202051
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 03:37
i never liked liv tyler
sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 03:11
I will also avow that it took some getting used to Haldir, although for me part of that was his nose, which is a silly thing to find un-elven. I really approved of what was done with him, though. A startling change, but somehow it worked for me.

I had minor problems with several of the characters picked up in TTT, which is odd, because I was perfectly content with everyone in FotR, once I accepted that this was a different take on Elrond from mine.

Faramir's dramatic shift was, of course, very hard for a purist Faramir fan to take, but I am reconciled knowing what is being attempted, and by the properly Faramir, softspoken and thoughtful "we understand each other" speech at the end. I think I will enjoy the Faramir in RotK, even if I had a few issues here.
I got off on the wrong foot with Eowyn mainly because she seemed at first submissive, not merely shellshocked, when Grima was fawning on her, and the Eowyn I know would have slapped him~ futile a gesture though it be. But that's a minor quibble, and I got over it once I saw more of her. At any rate the slow recovery of her spirit, with fits and starts, was very well portrayed in most of the movie, and became one of my favorite parts, so initial dislike turned to appreciation.
I have no idea why this Eomer isn't standing out very much for me, except that his role in the film is so limited I keep wanting more.

My real problem was Théoden. His acting range seemed narrow to me; his mood and expressions were either too much or the same note, or I just haven't "grokked" this Théoden's subtleties yet. To some extent, even after his cure, he still seemed to me a dithering-Hamlet, timid monarch who wasn't seizing the moment but running from it until forced like a rat in a trap to defend himself. Again, we've got character development issues here: PJ's not going to have him helpless one minute and the great heroic Théoden the next. Basically he just hasn't grabbed me, and while there's parts of this Théoden that were great, I think I wanted wanted something different.

*brain sudden shuts down after mentally supplying Patrick Stewart for the role*

Ahem, yes. Great film.

[Edited on 15/2/2003 by sepdet]
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 10:22

That's exactly my take on the matter!

I found the elves as Tolkien wrote them to be much more approachable as a race...they laughed and sang, they had senses of humour...

PJ's elves are all elegance and no spirit. I don't feel as though I like them at all. They're far too remote and there's so little one can identify with. Plus they seem a little smuggy and superior to me. (No-one hurt me for that comment! )

On that note, I didn't like Arwen (Liv Tyler is just - Liv Tyler, ya know? I just can't think of her as Arwen. And believe me I've tried!) and - I'm gonna get killed for saying this - Orlando Bloom's acting annoyed me at several points. Most notable after Gandalf falls in Moria, when he gets that look on his face as if he's trying to do long-division in his head (anyone seen that episode of 'Friends' ?)

Um...I'm sure there was someone else I was gonna bash but my mind's gone blank. :dizzy:
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 12:37
Oh, Lady-Arwen, I think they were just a bit prejudiced: they wanted everyone to think of Elves as ethereal creatures so they kind of 'forgot' the other qualities

Figwit, how could they read the book 100+ times and forget ANYTHING??

-Dwarves: hey, it's low to the ground and it's got a beard - why don't we make it sound like a Welshman and give him some really funny oneliners?
-Hobbits: sweet, cuddly, cute and funny.. like My Little Pony
-Elves: ethereal, beautiful, slow, calm, peaceful, wise... in short very boring

*giggles* It appears to me that they aren't the only ones who are 'prejudice' as you put it

Now for the first the Elves had more of a Welsh sound than the dwarves and 'dwarves' is really unfair of you anyway since there was only ever Gimli

Hobbits are SUPPOSED to be like they were portrayed in the movie, that was the whole point, a whole bunch of eating, drinking, laughing, talking, farming, smoking, sleeping, folk with no need or want for adventures. And 'My little Pony' is unfair at any rate, the only thing that description is suited for is Nick Jr. shows In my personal opinion of course.

And elves???

Ethereal: Legolas: Why doesn't that surprise me? Elrond: No indeed it is hardly possible to separate you etc. (I don't think either of them were being very ethereal there)

Beautiful: Umn...yeah? There were supposed to be.

Slow: I'm thinking Legolas fights, Arwen's ride to the Ford, Elrond's fight at the Last Alliance, Haldir at Helm's Deep....

Calm: Legolas: They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die! Arwen: No Frodo! Don't give in, not now!

Peaceful: I'm thinking of Galadriel the Green/Blue and Armored and all those elves fighting with the dwarves at the Council of Elrond...

Wise: Read the Silmarillion?? They were idiots

In short very boring: BORING??? I...oh never mind.

Besides (about the elves) I don't know how you can call 6 different attributes typecasting.

But for some reason in spite of all this censure you seem to like the movie (as you said) *sighs* I'm kinda at a loss to see what you like though

Oh well.

This report brought to you by Lady-Arwen who has a sister who believes that the great writer was also a great tailor: Earnestly Hemming-Away.
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: February 15, 2003 05:18
This report brought to you by Lady-Arwen who has a sister who believes that the great writer was also a great tailor: Earnestly Hemming-Away.

Goodness we were laughing away when we read that, weren't we precious.
Don't worry, I'm not talking like Gollum, I mean my mother and I.

It's fun to read Figwit and Lady-Arwen's posts.

I think that the elves in the book were not quite like how they were portrayed in the movie. I distinctly remember the elves singing with Bilbo at Rivendell, and how Legolas was the only member of the company at one point whose spirits were still high. In the movie they all look so sad and grieved all the time! I know that they are leaving Middle Earth and have a reason to be unhappy, but they really were not described like that all the time.

I really like elves, almost as much as Hobbits, but they seem to be superhuman intelligent people rather than a different race altogether.

I recall in the Hobbit they were singing silly songs and making fun of the dwarves. I wish I could see that side of the elves!

[Edited on 16/2/2003 by Ainulindale]
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 16, 2003 11:46

I think that the elves in the book were not quite like how they were portrayed in the movie. I distinctly remember the elves singing with Bilbo at Rivendell, and how Legolas was the only member of the company at one point whose spirits were still high. In the movie they all look so sad and grieved all the time! I know that they are leaving Middle Earth and have a reason to be unhappy, but they really were not described like that all the time.

I really like elves, almost as much as Hobbits, but they seem to be superhuman intelligent people rather than a different race altogether.

I recall in the Hobbit they were singing silly songs and making fun of the dwarves. I wish I could see that side of the elves!

~~ Ainulindale

there Lady-Arwen, thàt's what I meant

I know that Elves can be all those attributes, but they're more... With typecasting, I meant that all the little details Tolkien put in it, all the attempts to neutralize typicallity, were deleted.

They *forgot* to mention to the movie audience that Elves are in fact a merry folk, full of spirit and warmth... and gave them Agent Smith (deprived of any sense of humor and looking grim and weary rather than wise, that one quote you mentioned aside).

I loved Galadriel, especially with the extended version added, but where was noble Elf Lord Celeborn? He was calm and slow... and with those I meant to qualify the so-called *grace* of the Elves - because swift creatures can be gracefull too, dancing, running... all these things are graceful but most of the Elves in the movie only stand still and *look* graceful

Legolas pfffff... well, everyone knows how I think about him, and Ainulindale said it perfectly. Kung Fu Legolas was *not* Book Legolas - and I already told you I like him better in the second part of TTT because he comes closer to the engaged creature of the books.

About the typecasting thing:

* why weren't Merry and Pippin allowed to evolve in TTT the way they did in the books? because PJ and his Palls couldn't handle a Hobbit being both happy & strong, silly & wise... which is exactly what Merry and Pippin are
so they cut away an important part of the character, to make them more onedimensional

* why does Gimli enter Moria saying silly things about Dwarves eating raw meat off the bone? Gimli and Gloín travelled to Rivendel in order to get Elrond's council on the disappearance of Balin. Even if there was no time to mention this, one would assume that Gimli would be aware of his cousin's perrillous condition.
And assume that he didn't, that he didn't have a clue, why is it Boromir that notices that something's wrong, and not a Dwarf who should ber able to recognize a living Dwarfhole from a tomb?
Why was Galadriel's speech altered - why does she no longer sing the praise of Khazad-dûm and use Khuzdul words? Why doesn't Gimli name the mountains, why doesn't he show Sam and Frodo the Mirrormere?
Because the Dwarf was a sidekick, already in FOTR, and one not to be taken too seriously. In the books, Gimli is humorous when he quarrels with Legolas, but that aside he is a proud and learned Dwarf.
But, in order not to make it too difficult for the audience, Gimli lost his heart and soul.

It's an understandable sacrifice, and I like Movie Gimli, but on the other hand it's sad, because I liked the Dwarves and I liked the Elves... and they're reduced to stereotypes, that appeal more to an audience but do away with the work of Tolkien to create cultures...

[Edited on 17/2/2003 by Figwit]
Nimloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 10:41
I got off on the wrong foot with Eowyn mainly because she seemed at first submissive, not merely shellshocked, when Grima was fawning on her, and the Eowyn I know would have slapped him~ futile a gesture though it be.

When I saw it the first time, I was wondering about that scene, why she almost seemed ready to be seduced by Grima The Grimy when she's such a proud lady warrior - but then think of her situation: She's lost a beloved uncle not too long ago - Théoden is not himself anymore - she lost a beloved cousin in Théodred recently, and she lost her brother very recently. Is it any wonder that she almost gives up her resistance? And don't forget - Grima Wormtongue's greatest skill is worming his way into people's hearts and minds with words. Although he's not Saruman, he does have that skill with words and speech - at least in the book, and for me this was one scene where this came out.

Not really this topic, but to defend the White Lady of Rohan (I know you said she grew on you later): I've always loved her character - the only female in all three books I really like, with the possible exception of Sam's Rosie - and I think she was well portrayed (and well acted).
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 11:51
They *forgot* to mention to the movie audience that Elves are in fact a merry folk, full of spirit and warmth... and gave them Agent Smith (deprived of any sense of humor and looking grim and weary rather than wise, that one quote you mentioned aside).

I loved Galadriel, especially with the extended version added, but where was noble Elf Lord Celeborn? He was calm and slow... and with those I meant to qualify the so-called *grace* of the Elves - because swift creatures can be gracefull too, dancing, running... all these things are graceful but most of the Elves in the movie only stand still and *look* graceful

Legolas pfffff... well, everyone knows how I think about him, and Ainulindale said it perfectly. Kung Fu Legolas was *not* Book Legolas

I have to agree with Figwit here...
I suppose you'd notice it most with the elves in the Hobbit, but they do have a more cheerful side to them. I suppose its hard to get the balance quite right, because really the elves in the Hobbit were one extreme (pretty silly, really, but fun!) and PJ's elves are the other extreme (very solemn and serious and I have to agree with someone who mentioned this before - they do act a little superior). Even in the rest of LOTR, though, the elves aren't quite as serious as they are in the movies... at least Legolas certainly wasn't. He was sort of playful, in my opinion. Bad word, but you know what I mean And apart from in the second half of TTT, he was not playful in the movies. Especially not in Fellowship, where most of his lines went something like, "Orcs!" or "Goblins!"
Very cheerfull.

I did not like Arwen. Sorry everyone! I didn't like her in FOTR because she stole Glorfindel's part... aside from that though she irritated me... her voice... all breathy and well, just annoying. I think I must be the only person in the world who thinks this, but I actually don't think Liv Tyler is pretty. Its a matter of opinion I know, but to me, she isn't pretty. Sorry.

Of course this is only my humble opinion, please do not yell at me! *ducks tomatoes that are being thrown at her and bounces quickly out of thread*
Peace!

~Tally~

Dwarvish_Hobbitlike_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2003 08:08
I am just busting my gut laughing at you guys' comments!! LOL...Arwen completely annoys me. She wouldn't bother me nearly as much if her role wasn't blown way out of proportion- and it wouldn't hurt if her voice wasn't so hilariously and awkwardly low. But why all the Haldir-bashing? Despite being different than the book Haldir, I was thoroughly happy with Craig Parker :heart: But I have to agree about the way he said "Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel..." in the Extended DVD (it sounded as if he started to zone out a little :dizzy
ILoveHaldir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 08:55
I don't like Legolas

I Like Haldir
preciousss
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 09:53
Tyler think that her role is so important, but i really don't like Arwen..
evil_she-elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2003 10:59
Theoden...he seemed nicer in the books...and perhaps Arwen...what exactly is her role in TTT?
morgana03
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2003 06:37
My biggest dislike is ARWEN. I tolerated her in the books cause she's not there so much. But in the movies, I did not like her. Especially in the TT but it's also that I don't like Liv. In the Extended DVD documentaries, her normal voice grates like nails on a chalkboard.
Didn't care for Boromir cause it seemed like he was trouble from the beginning but...after seeing the movie over and over I suppose he can't be faulted for everything he did.
Haldir cause that was one Elf with a major attitude. Was not sorry he died in TT.
There was someone else but off the top of my head i can't recall who or why.
~Lúthien~Tinúviel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 05:01
Like a lot of other people on this thread, I personally dislike Haldir. He just seemed so fake and sounded weird - esp. the bit in the extended dvd. On the other hand, I loved his face when Aragorn hugged him in TTT and I thought the death scene was amazing - but then I love most death scenes; anything that makes me cry.
I didn't like Theoden either - for the same reason. He had literally one facial expression; lost. He was irritating.
I do like Arwen/Liv Tyler but, like Tally, I don't find her pretty - except in some shots (e.g. from the side in Flight to the Ford and the close ups to her face whilst she's on the bridge with Aragorn).
I originally HATED David Wenham's portrayal of Faramir but I've done a lot of thinking since and I've decided I can understand the changes made in his character.
Eowyn's cool most of the time but the scene with Grima annoyed me - like Sepdet, I thought she should've slapped him..or at least run out of the room several minutes before she actually did.
Erm...I think that's it. Sorry to any Haldir/Theoden fans out there!
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 06:07
Celeborn is...I've got no words. It's bad. And Elijah Wood, I don't think Frodo is that way, at least that's my thoughts. No, I can't like Arwen either. Where is Glorfindel?
Arwen is too much, and unfortunately, she's everywhere there she shouldn't be...Where are you, Glorfindel?:evil:
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 06:40
Eowyn annoyed me at first and I don't know why: she's the type of character I usually love instantly, a strong, free-spirited woman, but something about her grated across my nerves. Then, about a month ago, I suddenly didn't dislike her anymore. I think I need to see the film again before I make a new judgement. Hurry up, DVD!

To the slightly off topic elves discussion. In the books I almost felt that the elves were like two species, the wise, serene elf-lords like the ones in the movies and the fun-loving, laughing ones which you don't see. Even in my own head I find it hard to reconcile these two images without undermining all the respect I have for Galadriel and Elrond, so I can see why PJ missed out the more cheerful side of the elves. I'd like to have seen it done still, but he can be forgiven, imho, for the omission.
Kiss

by the way, "Wise: Read the Silmarillion?? They were idiots"~Lady Arwen ROFL!
idril_celeb
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:04
arwen annoyed me in fotr and ttt, jackson put her like an important character and arwen wasn't very important at the book. another thing i hate is faramir! he was so...cruel with the hobbits! in the book he was friendly!!!
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:55
I hate Arwen!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean Liv Tyler was great in her other movies but she wasn`t in this.It was so wrong how P.J. gave all of Glorfindel`s parts. That just sickens me. But I don`t mind. Eowyn is better than Ms. Undomiel anyway. If you don`t agree tell me who you think did a bad job. And I don`t like how Faramir isn`t like he is in the book. And I also don`t like Rosie. Sure I like Rose Cotton. It`s just that she didn`t get a very good part in the movie. You know with speaking parts. She should have said more than a sentence. I could go on forever but this is a very touchy subject.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email