Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Frodo_007
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Who didn't you like?
on: May 22, 2003 09:21
i loved all the characters, none were a dissapointment to me actually!!!
Dimberaidiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 09:12
Okay, the two characters that really really got on my nerves were Arwen and Frodo. :dizzy: Arwen...ugh, she was just annoying. I can't think any other words. She cries too much (okay, I probably would too if I was in her position...but still ) and Frodo...I didn't like that he always tripped or dropped his weapon whenever he seemed to be in danger...I dunno, he was supposed to be a hero, and to me he didn't seem like one at all. I still liked him though. ^.^ There wasn't any thing I liked about Arwen...
Alataire
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 11:52
arwen annoyed me in fotr and ttt, jackson put her like an important character and arwen wasn't very important at the book.

Okay...I'm going to quote Tolkien here on Arwen:

Here I am only concerned with Death as part of the nature, physical and spiritual, of Man, and with Hope without guarantees. That is why I regard the tale of Arwen and Aragorn as the most important of the appendices; it is part of the essential story, and is only placed so because it could not be worked into the main narrative without destroying its structure.
Letters of Tolkien, letter #181

Arwen, from TTT: "There is still Hope."
A very strong line for a very strong female that was willing to accept Death so that she could, foremost, be with the man that she loved. But secondly, she renewed the line of nobility in the world of Men. Nobility was firstly passed into their blood by Luthien, to be renewed as it waned by Arwen. I certainly believe this to be an important element in the Tale.

And as for Frodo being a hero:...
Frodo...I didn't like that he always tripped or dropped his weapon whenever he seemed to be in danger...I dunno, he was supposed to be a hero, and to me he didn't seem like one at all.

Here's Tolkien's thoughts on the matter of heroes...
I think the simple 'rustic' love of Sam and Rosie (nowhere elaborated) is absolutely essential to the study of his (the chief hero's) character, and to the theme of the relation of ordinary life...
Letters of Tolkien, letter #131

Tolkien referred to Samwise, in particular, as the hero... never Frodo (that I have discovered yet). Frodo is quite the emotional and mental wreck that I had expected him to be. I, for one, love to watch all three movies and see his decline into instability and weakness.

Now...on to the character that I was not pleased with....
I'd have to say Celeborn. He's so stiff and ... mechanical (at least when he speaks Common). He just didn't work for me. At least his roll was rather slim.
I'd also have to say that I really disliked Theoden at times. He seemed a bit too vulnerable. I liked his roll in RotK much more than in TTT.

[Edited on 15/1/2004 by Alataire]
Dimberaidiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 01:23
I really should read the books...My mom and I did agree though, that Sam was the realy hero. Without him Frodo would of died, heh.

And maybe Arwen is different in the books, and like I said, I really should read them.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 02:09
>>Still hunting the anti-Haldir writers hidden in the Misty Mountains<<
I did not like Eowyn stalking Aragorn all the time. Come on, it was obvious that he just affected her with the respect she deserved, he did not love her at all. She was just só blinded by his valour and the thought that he was the heir of the Gondorian throne that she would not accept a 'no, thank you', not even when he actually said to her he did not love her in that way. Instead, she kept on whining and whimping, very unlike a 'strong woman' I think would do. She would rather be dead than accept a less prominent but still important role (keeping the women and childeren of her people safe).
And I did not like Theoden in TTT, but his role in RotK was great.
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 02:33
Going with the crowd and saying Arwen. The part was inflated, boring, I felt nothing when she and Aragorn kissed. It was so blah... and I hated the Arwen/Elrond scenes... I found myself saying "give me a break."

I though Eomer was so cool in the books, but he was sort of ho-hum in the movie. I don't think he was sexy enough and he didn't really have much to do.

I'm going to say I wasn't too fond of Eowyn until I saw the EETTT and I totally fell for her. The soup scene! I needed to see her girly side. I love her crush on Aragorn, I mean who wouldn't be floored by him? She's wonderful, and just amazing in ROTK. She's like my #1 fav outside the fellowship now... maybe tied with Faramir, Haldir at 2nd.

Yes Celeborn was flat and dull. I'm pissed that I got him in a LoTR personality quiz.

I felt like Andy Sirkus overdid Gollum a little, and he tried to be too funny. I hated when people laughed at him in the theater. I wanted to shout "he's evil! Don't laugh at him, he's not cute!" But Andy did a hell of a job with the character, top notch.

Elrond was sort of... I dunno there was something missing.

Everyone else was perfect, except Theoden. I love Bernard Hill, he did a wonderful job... but he could have delivered some of his lines better like "So much death." The poem was beautiful. I liked how PJ made him look posessed and then turn back to normal. The book is not detailed enough during that section... and I think PJ's vision is actually an improvement over Tolkien's. The effect of him slowly changing back and the color coming to his face is brilliant, on of the best special effects in the movie! I thought it was great. Maybe I stand alone on this one.

Faramir should have started being more gentle and kind earlier... it's like out of nowhere he turns into the nice guy. Oh and the Boromir flashback scene that was cut really should have stayed in the movie (I am vehement about this). I loved the part of the book where Faramir describes finding Boromir (it was maybe one of my top 5 favorite parts), so utterly beautiful. I think the audience really need to see the dynamic between the two brothers, and set up evil Denethor (who I thought was delightfully cruel and gross).

Um oh and I don't know how this would have fit in... but no Tom Bombadil! I love the chapters with just the hobbits and their crazy adventures, I wanted more happy times... not so much doom and scariness. But I guess we had Merry and Pippin, and Leggy and Gimli for the comic stuff. Anyway I'm done. xx-Amanda

[Edited on 16/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]
Gilwen_the_Sorceress
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 05:43
Definitely Arwen and Elrond Maybe for being so different from Tolkien´s story.
Liv Tyler, I mean, she´s not bad as an actress, but she doesn´t represent the mysterious she-elf- character Tolkien describes, no way. Well, actually, Arwen is not Tolkien Arwen: that mysterious character, wise, from an ancient culture, now she´s more a young restless lady , well maybe, just because of the whole thing movie created for this character, but anyway, Arwen is to be portrayed more as an interesting woman . I know she´s not an important character in books (In movie she´s overwhelming) but in those moments Tolkien talks about her (In FOTR book), she´s very interesting I think, still as a beautiful woman, nothing else, but more interesting than in movies.
The same with Elrond, Hugo Weavin, indeed, looks great as bad guy, as Agent Smith. Elrond has to be so much wiser, from an ancient culture as elves *are*.
Well, Tolkien´s elves for sure are not so easy to portray, I think.

Haldir, well, again the same subject concerning movie changes, Faramir, idem...

Arr well, anyway, actors did a great job for movie portrayal *changes*

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by Gilwen_the_Sorceress]
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 05:46
I say Arwen. I didn't like it how they put her into scenes where she wasn't even suppose to be and how they even MADE scenes for her. For example Aragorn's dream. Most annoying she was in TTT. She made the movie slower and more exhausting. Also... her performance didn't convince me...and one think which bothered me in her was the fact that elvish didn't sound beautiful from her lips :dizzy:. That's what I'm thinking.
LordTemujin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 08:25
"If you want him, come claim him!"

Enough said....
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 10:50
arwen annoyed me in fotr and ttt, jackson put her like an important character and arwen wasn't very important at the book. another thing i hate is faramir! he was so...cruel with the hobbits! in the book he was friendly!!!

Arwen never impressed me much in the books; being there mainy to give Aragorn a bride of sufficiently noble ancestry (I read somewhere that Tolkien originally brought in Eowyn to be Aragorn's bride, then decided that she wasn't good enough for him and that Aragorn was also too old and grim for Eowyn). She's a rather static character in the book; and I think the awkwardness of some of her inflated scenes in the movie reflects PJ's effort to give Arwen doubts to overcome and changes to go through. I just never felt that Ms. Tyler was entirely Arwen, the way Wood was Frodo, Astin was Sam, Mortenson was Aragorn, etc. Her best scenes were the rescue of Frodo, and her vision of little Eldarion and subsequent decision to trade immortality in Valinor for mortality as the queen of Gondor along with a marriage to Aragorn and genetic immortality through their son.

The Faramir and hobbits of the movie differed from those in the books. Frodo lied to Faramir on meeting him in the movie, whereas Frodo was truthful in all he said to Faramir when they met in the book. Faramir is in a situation where he has to distrust strangers who lie and obfuscate; he has been told by his father, who is his liege-lord, that the Ring is a weapon that must come to Gondor, also (this in the books, and there is nothing to contradict it in the movie) that anyone caught wandering within Gondor's borders without Denethor's permission should be slain. Faramir does not hurt the hobbits; he captures them and holds them, protects them against the attack of the Nazgul (where realistically the only one he had to protect was Frodo). Despite the Ring's allure, Faramir does not physically touch it, though he easily could have put it around his own neck. And Faramir, though he had sworn no oath of allegiance to the Council and the Ringbearer, released the Ringbearer and the Ring even though his own life and honor were jeopardized by that decision.

RAKSHA THE DEMON
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 02:42
i didn't mind Arwen's inflated role. They incorporated the story of Aragorn and Arwen that's in the appendix of the book.
They should have given Frodo the seen
at the ford though. That bugged me.

gothic_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 04:12
This might sound really lame, but I can't think of one person who I didn't like in their role - seriously! Maybe, perhaps Liv Tyler as Arwen, but she still done a good job. Ummm...but I think that's it - I loved everyone!
AgentElrond
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 05:41
1. Hugo Weaving as Elrond
2. Miranda Otto as Eowyn
3. Craig Parker as Haldir
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 07:27
1. Hugo Weaving as Elrond

why is your name AgentElrond if Elrond annoys you in the movies? . . . Just wondering.
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 07:29
I don't think Eowyn really got to... "fulfill" her complete part from the book... it was really shortened and a lot was left out.
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2004 11:27
Hey everybody - quit bashing poor Liv. I think she was the best speaker of Elvish in the movies. Craig Parker was a bit problematic as Haldir though I got to like him and he had a really good death scene - almost as good as Sean Bean's - I think it's just his looks though - his face structure just wasn't "elvish enough" - too round and not chizeled enough maybe.

Same with whosits who played Celeborn - but I think again it was just his facial structure and not how he played it - I think his apparently stilted delivery was because they felt that Celeborn may not be used to speaking at all let alone the Common Tongue remember the elves can read each others' minds - mind meld so to speak.

I am sure I will get lots of flack from all those Hobbit lovers out there, but I think that Billy Boyd was quite a bit more wooden than Dominic Monahan. Have a look at Boromir's death scene where they are both looking at him when the first arrows hit. Check out the anguish in Merry's face compared to Pippins - is this because Pippin is just not the brightest bulb in the pack or is it just not as good acting? Can't think of anybody better off the top of my noggin though.

Otherwise, except for this one small beef, I think the casting was pretty much inspired.

[Edited on 14/4/2004 by EruanwenSaeriel]
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: April 14, 2004 02:29
I can't think of anybody I didn't like, except I had imagined the elves as a whole, to be a little less wooden than they seemed to be in the films. I wanted them to loosen up a bit. Sing more, be merry. Or at least smile, for pete's sake. But no serious gripes. I even liked Arwen more than I had expected to.

Well, Treebeard was a little wooden. heheh

EruanwenSaeriel: you already know I'm a hobbit-lover, so I can't resist tossing some flack your way. Pippin is the youngest of the hobbits. Quite a bit younger than Frodo(22 years younger, I believe). He's a bit naive. He's overwhelmed by events that are far beyond anything he's experienced back in the peaceful Shire. He's witnessed Gandalf's "death" and now Boromir's. I interpreted Pippin's reaction at his death as shock. He's having trouble absorbing it all.

I do think he was portrayed as a bit of a dimwit (albeit a loveable dimwit); more so than he was in the book.

Billy's performance in ROTK was superb.

[Edited on 20/4/2004 by LinweSingollo]
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 04:33
On the other hand, I loved his face when Aragorn hugged him in TTT

Craig Parker made a joke about this being cause Aragorn really did smell

My only problem (and it went away by the TT) was I kept expecting Elrond to say "Mister Anderson"
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 04:11
I don't think Eowyn really got to... "fulfill" her complete part from the book... it was really shortened and a lot was left out.

You guys need to read LOTR again. Eowyn was on the brink of being a minor character as well except for her Witch King deal in ROTK. She was barely mentioned in TTT so I really do not see what was not fulfilled in her role moviewise. She wasnt even at Helm's Deep in the book. If PJ stuck to the book she would really only be in ROTK.

Anyway, I really do not dislike any of the characters. They were all essential to the plot of this engaging story. Grima, Saruman, etc all played their roles well. PJ did a wonderful job in picking the cast.
LuthienofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 09:36
I wasnt too happy with Denethor,he came over on the screen as this big maniac I think.
Especially when he tried to burn him and Faramir,but the part where he falss off Minas Tirith is certainly awesome! What a way to go!
Billthepony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 11:08
The first time i saw the films i thought that i couldn't fault any of the performances, but now, after i've seen TTT about seven times i think that Miranda Otto as Eowyn is very weak. Ok, i dislike Eowyn as a character (leave Aragorn alone!) but i thought that if Otto had been more convincing, she could have altered my dislike.
mata
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 12:59
You guys need to read LOTR again. Eowyn was on the brink of being a minor character as well except for her Witch King deal in ROTK. She was barely mentioned in TTT so I really do not see what was not fulfilled in her role moviewise. She wasnt even at Helm's Deep in the book. If PJ stuck to the book she would really only be in ROTK.

exactly what I wanted to say, Celebrianna! it's odd how everyone is picky on Arwen cause her role was "too big" (too big? ten minutes in a 3-hour-movie?) and no one seems to have a problem with eowyn's larger role...
and please stop making Liv responsible for the larger Arwen part... just to make it clear: she's an actress not the goddamn scriptwriter... blame PJ, Fran and Philippa if you must, but not Liv...

btw there's no one I really didn't like... I was quite satisfied with all the performances and roles...
thegreendragonmaid
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 04:40
Now dont get me wrong iam a huge i mean huge elijah wood fan but i think that in the movie they make frodo seem like the best never did anything wrong type.hes not like that in the book.
DoctaGollum
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 03:43
like a lot of people who have posted here, i think they definitely overdramatized arwen, which is understandable because she's undenyably hot and it got them more viewers, but it was kinda unfair to diehard lotr-book fans. also, they seem to oversimplify frodo's character just to make him more likeable and relatable to the audience, whereas he's much more complex and flawed in the book. go figure.
PimpinTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 04:30
i liked movie frodo elija woods so damn sexy!

i want to eat arwen

i eat when im sad
Lady_of_Lore
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 01:09
well, at first i thought all performances were grat, If i had to pick one thing after somewhat more viewing...(i'm so gonna get beaten up for this ) i thought some of Orlando Bloom's parts were a bit weak. But he did do many good bits too, just that some bits i got a bit annoyed. *ducks flying objects* i do like Orli though, the thing is he didn't have many lines really considering the amount of time he was in it, he just stood there looking pretty, and i didn't like it.

And i thought Miranda Otta was awesome...someone mentioned that they didn't like the Eowyn Wormtongue scene
since they felt Eowyn should have slapped him or something. But I thought that scene was great, remeber wormtongue is manipulative and Eowyn feeling vulnerble his words are literally 'posion'.

I'm a bit on the fence about Arwen, i do like Liv Tyler, and quite liked Arwen but havn't got any reasons
Minyalhawwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 04:20
Well, I didn't really dislike any performances. And I have to be Craig Parker and Hugo Weaving's advocate...lol Haldir and Elrond are my favorite characters in both the book and movie. Poor, poor Haldir...I almost cried when he died.

Well, since other people have been saying similar things, I feel comfortable saying that Arwen was a tad annoying by RotK. FotR, sure, she was all heroic saving Frodo (Which ticked me off because as 99.9% of us know, it never happened) but by the middle of RotK...I started thinking "Oh, your life just sucks doesn't it?" lol So, no Arwen fans need to get all ruffled. Just my opinion...
MorganAnorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 01:44
I didn't like Arwen in the movies, becouse PJ did Arwen a main character! And everybody who read the book knows that she's not main character! And I don't like Liv Tyler's acting, but I like her attitude.
Pippin_the_periannath
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 03:15
Arwen bothered me alot
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 05:54
exactly what I wanted to say, Celebrianna! it's odd how everyone is picky on Arwen cause her role was "too big" (too big? ten minutes in a 3-hour-movie?) and no one seems to have a problem with eowyn's larger role...
and please stop making Liv responsible for the larger Arwen part... just to make it clear: she's an actress not the goddamn scriptwriter... blame PJ, Fran and Philippa if you must, but not Liv...
I totally agree with this. And if you guys feel urged to bash on Arwen/Liv, at least give a good reason for it. I mean: it is already explained why she got Glorfindel's part in the rescue of Frodo, it is already explained that she was a very important to Tolkien. So what is the rant anyway? Keep it at least on the character please.
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 11:11
I cannot stand Eowyn!!

As for Faramir, I do not think that David Wenham played him well at all. The character of Faramir was completely changed from the books and that ruined the whole Frodo and Sam part for me.

I don't like Figwit either.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2011 06:33
Faramir, hands down, books or movie. Also Denethor, totally.
Linoel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 11:10
Quote:

"To me, Legolas was a merry Elf, closer to the Elves described by Tolkien in The Hobbit. I don't think the Elves as portrayed in the movies quite measure up to the ones described in the books: it's not because you're wise and calm that you can't also be merry..."

I think that they could have given Orlando a few more smiles and such but overall I think that he was great. Now don't get me wrong here- I am a HUGE Tolkien fan- but I think that a few of Tolkien's elves were a bit... how do I say this... ridiculous?

I really liked the way that Orlando showed Legolas, especially as it was his first big movie. I can hear Peter saying right now:

"Now you're still in drama school, so we're going to put you in a world-famous movie!" I mean, it would be hard for him. I remember the first time I acted and it was only in a play. I was scared to death and nearly forgot my lines. I admire him a lot for his fortitude and courage to do that.

I am already running from the multitude of Tolkien fans that are swarming after me. Run, Linoel, run!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 11:57
Didn't like Legolas. Nothing against OB but not believable as a thousand year old. Not the looks, it's just tricky to portray that depth of character, wisdom etc.
I'm intrigued F-the-S, why don't you like Faramir?
Linoel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 12:29
Tarcolan, I agree with you on the depth of character and wisdom that a thousand year old elf should have. But I think that he did have moments though, like in Fangorn when he spoke in elvish and when he recited the poem on the Paths of the Dead... and no I didn't memorize all his scenes! Well, maybe a few... *sheepish grin*

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email