Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans Over Forty ~ Part XXV
on: October 17, 2012 07:31
Wow... took us while to get over 600 posts, but here we are with a brand new shiny thread for those of us chronologically challenged... Wait, would that mean not enough or too many years? *scratches head* Weather is weird here (as usual) little bit of rain, clouds, then hot like a fiend yesterday. Ah well, 'tis fall and California is well-known for it's strange weather - spring and fall it's chilly in the morning and night and hot during the day. All my best to my FoFers!
Echileruwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Fans Over Forty ~ Part XXV
on: October 18, 2012 12:09
Belle, I don't think we're officially old until after our eleventy-first birthdays, so we should be OK for a while yet.

Awelyn, it's good to hear that you enjoyed the Shire. We have some color here and there, but it's mostly Ponderosa pines, and they're dropping all their dead needles, too. Lots of raking to do!

Dimple, it's harder to grow things using those planters, but it's the best I can do. The basil grew really well this year, there should be plenty of it to make pizzas from scratch all winter.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2012 08:57
BELLE: Yeah for the new thread.We're not as many as we were but we still very much alive and according to Echil, for a long while yet

ECHILERUWEN:Basil and tomatoes go so well together and especially when in the pizzas made from scratch mmmmmm!

AWELYN: Good luck to your daughter with the new baby coming: Did you start the rehearsal for the Christmas play?

Have a very good week-end all
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2012 12:23
Hello, everyone. Just dropping by to let you all know I'm still kicking. Am looking forward to the movie. (Do I need to say which one?) I guess it's nothing to worry too much about, but granddaughter Samantha, who's 14 months, isn't really walking yet. Son Steven says she stands and moves her feet around, but only takes an occassional step.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 19, 2012 03:26
Swabby, when I worked for Parents as Teachers they told us not to worry if baby was moving, crawling ,scooting but if by 2 they are not walking they should be evaluated. Most of the time if they excel in another area of development and it is not motor skills they will catch up soon. So don't worry.

Belle do happy dance for new thread. all my best to you.

Dimple,I have started rehearsal and it is so much fun. I have a talented director who is teaching me so much. You have a good weekend too.

Echileruwen,I did enjoy it and so did my husband. Our weather is great now and the colors are just mind blowing. You make pizza from scatch? That has to be yummy.

Here is some news,my daughter had her baby yesterday at 4 in the afternoon. 7lbs.15.9 ounces and 18 inches long. She is precious and my daughter did a wonderful job. She went in at 10 and had her at 4.Lily Annabelle Lane. I have pictures on Facebook. I can not figure out how to get them on here.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: October 19, 2012 07:07

on the birth of your granddaughter, awelyn!

Image ...... a new thread!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 19, 2012 11:17
Thank you Evil-Shieldmaiden.
Echileruwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2012 11:18
Swabby, it's good to hear from you again.

Awelyn, that is so wonderful! Enjoy your new granddaughter. Congratulations to you and your daughter.

Dimple, for pizza, I grind the wheat into flour and do it totally from scratch. I found a really good recipe for pizza dough, but it disappeared! I don't like to heat the house making pizzas during the summer, but winter is coming, so I'll be doing more cooking and baking. Now i need to find that recipe.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2012 10:03
SWABBY:It is so good to hear from you.Don't worry about your granddaughter, my daughter didn't walk before she was 16 months old but when she started she couldn't stop, I guess she figured out that when you walk you go somewhere lol

AWELYN: Congratulations to your daughter and her family and to you too grandma!What a beautiful name, I love it.

ECHILERUWEN:If you find the recipe,I'll be interested,I'm already drooling!

Have a nice day all
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 21, 2012 11:16
MyCalar didn't walk or even crawl until he was over a year old. Then he suddenly stood upand climbed onto the sofa. Two days later he was half way up the curtains and his mother's life was never the same again!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: October 26, 2012 02:18
A very cold North wind here in Blighty. Anyone made their Xmas cake yet? I have, a recipe made with stout. Now comes the weekly ritual of painting it with brandy. Too tempting to last that long, I fear.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: October 26, 2012 10:11
It is very chilly here today. It is also windy. I have a new fire pit and I fired it up tonight. It was so relaxing and peaceful. I love a great fire.I finished decorated for Halloween today so I am ready for the little goblins,ghosts and ghouls to come to trick r teat. I bought the new granddaughter a cute Halloween bib and sleeper too. Have a great weekend. Tarcolan Christmas cake?
Echileruwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2012 08:57
LOL Dimple, the recipe is nice and easy and I'll post it here so all the hungry pizza-lovers can try it.
Mix 2 cups of freshly ground flour and 1 teaspoon salt together thoroughly. Cut in one hugely heaping tablespoon of either butter flavored shortening (Crisco) or real butter (not margarine or the butter without salt). Add enough water for a dough, and make sure it's really well mixed together. Then make it into a flat pizza shape and lightly coat it with olive oil that's had a smidgen of garlic added, and pre-bake it at 350 for a little bit. Pull it out of the oven and let it cool while you puree some peeled tomatoes with basil and oregano. Drain the excess water out of the tomato mix, then spread it on the pizza crust. Cover the pizza with cheeses and olives and whatever you like, then bake it until it's perfect. Yummy!
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: October 28, 2012 08:30
To all my FoFer's on the East Coast - please be safe. Get to high ground, away from the ocean. That is one killer storm, literally. Praying for all those who leave on the "right" side of our country.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: October 29, 2012 02:20
I have my fingers crossed for all of you in danger and all those other thousands of frightened people and little children going through such uncertain times.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 29, 2012 11:54
I hope everybody on the East coast is okay. Image I have been watching the storm coverage on CNN and it's really impressive to see what Mother Nature can do.

I was sorry to see The Bounty replica sank during the storm; fortunately the 14 crew members were found, although 1 did not survive. The Captain is missing which means he likely held to maritime tradition and went down with his ship ..... RIP.

Echileruwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2012 10:29
Prayers for everybody on the east coast. Stay safe.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2012 06:15
Greetings to all. Prayers and hugs for everyone on the East coast who was hammered by Sandy. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery from the damage. Yes, it's a shame about the Bounty. By all accounts it was a beautiful ship. I hate to think of the hours and hours of work that went into the making of it. Such a shame

Swabby, how delightful to see you here. Ditto on the baby advice. No worries.

HAPPY HALOWE'EN to all ! have a spooktacular time and eat lots of treats !

Awelyn congrats on the arrival of Darling Lily. I will look for the photos on FB.

Please send good thoughts of to Jess, who awaits the results of an MRI after the latest round of treatments. I hope to see her Friday night at an LOTR movie night that our NERDS group is having.

I am enjoying Prof. Corey Olsen's book on The Hobbit. I think it follows his lectures quite closely, so it;s a pleasant revisiting of his podcasts.

Echileruwen, I admire your dedication in grinding your own flour. I am NOT that organized. We have been experimenting with various gluten-free doughs but were lucky enough that the local gl-free bakery has started making pizzas on thursday and Friday nights. Yummmmm !
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2012 07:14
Hello all. I thought I'd pop in for just a bitsy to say hi and then a long good-bye. The month of November is upon us, and for me, it means the National Novel Writer's Month (NaNoWriMo). It's the time of year I spend a frenzied month trying to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. The past three years I've won, and this year I'm writing the second half to my novel, Captive Rose, which I started in 2010. So I'm dropping out of most things social, invested in some really good ear plugs, fixed the "y" key on my laptop and will endeavor to win once more. I'm not going to be ignoring anyone, but I will seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. No worries on my account. I'm determined to come out the other end with a completed manuscript. Then the real "fun" begins...revising and editing.
Wish me luck.
Scots
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: October 31, 2012 10:09
Best of luck, scots! Write on, my friend, write on!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2012 09:35
Prayers to all of those who are recovering from Sandy.

ECHILERUWEN: Your pizza dough looks so yummy, I'll let you know when I'll try it.I don't grind my own flour so If I use whole wheat flower will it be ok?

NEENIME:I heard a lot about Prof.Corey Olson's book.I didn't follow his lectures so it will give me a good idea of his work.Jess will be in my thoughts and wish her the best of luck.

SCOTS: You have a really good reason to disappear and my fingers are crossed for you to win again.Have fun and best of luck

My daughter found herself a new part time job at a bookstore called ''La Maison Anglaise''(The English House).They are selling english, spanish and german books.The best part of it beside her working there is that she has a discount of 40 to 50% of all the books in the store,which is massive!So guess what I'm going to ask her for Christmas...?Oh life is sooooo good sometimes!!

Good day all.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: November 01, 2012 11:45
Dimple that is so great about your daughter's new job.Ithink that kind of job would be so much fun and the discounts are great too.

Scots good luck on your journey of writing and my fingers are crossed for you.

Neenime,I will be praying for Jess.

Evil-Shieldmaiden I know it was so awful about the Bounty and the loss of life. It was so sad about the captain and the female crew member who lost her life. I am keeping all those that were in Sandy's path in my prayers.

Echileruwen,that sounds so good and easy to make.

Had a nice Halloween last night and am goingto my ster-in-laws 70th birthday this weekend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2012 09:01
Well my dear friends we had our first snowflakes this morning, I'm afraid we had to come to it, we have no choice in the matter.I'll cheer myself up this week by baking my first Christmas goodies.A cranberry and orange cake with nuts and some cookies in different forms.

Have a nice day
Echileruwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2012 01:47
Awelyn, I hope you had a good time at your sister-in-law's.

Dimple, that sounds yummy! We're supposed to get our first snowfall this Friday and Saturday. Good for your daughter! I hope she enjoys her new job.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: November 07, 2012 07:22
Raining today. Sadly, Halloween saw the disappearance of our last outdoor kitty. Miss Rose, named after Rosie Cotton, has been with us many years. She was doing fine, but that night she went missing and has not come back. She was a very friendly cat so I'm hoping someone took her in to a single cat household and not some dark alternative. I miss her so much! She used to greet me whenever I came home and in the morning before I left for work. *sigh* Be well, Rosie Toes.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2012 08:52
BELLE: I am so sorry it is always heartbreaking when our four legged friends are missing.It is to hope that she will be picked up by good hearted people...but maybe she'll come back too.I wish her well and good fortune.

Did you ever experience a sensation of feelings rushing in to you in just a few seconds?That's what happen this morning.I was in the wood walking my Bruno and suddenly and it lasted only a few seconds,I felt how much I liked this nature and this wood and the little place where I live and how I like to talk with the people around me and how lucky I was to be alive and that I belong here in this world.I don't know how or what brought this up but it was so present, so intense for a few seconds,it was not weird or strange it was
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2012 08:55
sorry, wrong button

it was overwhelming!!
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: November 08, 2012 03:13
So eager to tell us Dimple! If only we could feel like that all the time, just full of joy at being alive in this wonderful world. Is that what bliss is? Such a simple thing.

Sorry to hear about Rosie, Belle but don't feel too bad. She was probably very impressed with humans, so she might come back as one next time. In the end we have no idea of the good that we do.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: November 08, 2012 08:22
Thank you, kind friends. I really miss her. I know our outdoor male cat died of kidney failure, though I didn't see his final moments. They enrich our lives so much. I can only hope that I meet them again in another life. I love my cats dearly, even when I can't possibly keep all of them indoors. Rosie was a sweetheart, but more a people person than a cat one (funny thing that). She loved us, but didn't like our indoors kitties so she refused to come inside. Ah well, what a love she was and I miss her sweet greeting whenever I would come home. Be well, Miss Rose, wherever you are!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: November 10, 2012 12:42
Belle - sorry to hear about your Rosie. I lost two of my four-legged friends this past summer: Little John who was 19 and Buzz who was 22. I only have one cat left and he was a bit depressed after the second one died.

The weather here has been, for the most part, simple awesome! We have had our first frosts the past two nights so it's time to bring in the summer flower pots for storage until next spring. I love this time of year with it's colours and crispness, and I always feel energized.

Oh, a bird just hit the window but when I checked it wasn't there so it wasn't hurt, t hank goodness! Seamus, my remaining cat, was most interested and checked very thoroughly to see what he had missed

Have a wonderful weekend, everybody Image
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2012 05:40
It is so quiet, anybody home?I have baked 70 chocolat and vanilla almond cookies this morning, want some, the're delicious mmmmm

The weather is not very cheerful, plenty of clouds and no sun or warmth...well it's november.

wherever you are or what you do, have a very nice evening
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: November 14, 2012 08:53
Been chilly and a bit overcast off and on. Down to freezing more than once over the past week. Son will be graduating in about 2 weeks and we'll be driving up to Monterey to watch it. If he can, he will come back down with us for a couple of weeks of leave before his first duty station. I find it a bit ironic that he will be in Hawaii, which is where he was born. Good excuse to visit!
awelyn418
Send Message
on: November 14, 2012 11:55
Hi and Dimple what a wonderful experience as you walked in your wood. All your baking sounds yummy. Belle I hope your Rosie comes home soon .Echileruwen I did have a good time. The temperature is getting colder here. What are the USA FOF members doing for Thanksgiving? I am looking forward to seeing my infant granddaughter this week she is a darling. Have a good week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: November 14, 2012 07:30
Going to spend the day with good friends as family are few and far away. I don't think my darling kitty will be coming back in this life. It has been about two weeks now and she was not one to go away. Every morning and evening she would greet me and there has not been a sign of her. It happens and is a risk with outdoor cats. She had a longer life than many of them so I am glad she chose us to share her life with for as many years as she had.
awelyn418
Send Message
on: November 15, 2012 10:33
Oh Belle that breaks my heart. I am so sorry.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email