Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
Post Any dog lovers out there?
on: January 16, 2013 12:43
Aside from Tolkien, my other great love is for dogs! I have a 3 yr old German Shepherd named Marshall (his nickname is Strider ), and he is at the center of my life.

Any other dog enthusiasts in the CoE??
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Re: Any dog lovers out there?
on: January 16, 2013 07:57
Never was much of a dog person growing up (we had a cat), but since I've been married we've owned a dog almost the entire time(that's nearly 30 years now). Mostly we do mutts (mixed breeds). Two of them have been terrier mixes. The only purebred was an Airdale terrier. However, the others were a shepherd/collie mix and currently we have as shepherd/beagle mix. All the others were outside dogs (not house trained), but our latest one we got at 4 yrs old from a lady who was moving to Hawaii and didn't want to put her through the long quarantine process there. Snuggles (yes, that's her name) is almost totally an indoor dog and very people dependent. She had serious separation anxiety when we first got her because the lady had been with her every single day of their time together (her mother gave her the puppy when 6 wks old). Has taken 4 years to get her to the point she doesn't freak when you go out the door. Ironfoot, your dog looks like a sweetie! Wow... how big is that cage? It looks gigantic. Good name for him.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 08:45
Well the cage (I refer to it as a his crate) is one of the jumbo sized ones I got at Pet-smart, so he could have more room to turn around and such. Its in the garage and he only uses it when it is too cold outside in the backyard. It has a heated blanket, for him to stay nice and cozy!

Yeah I hate the quarantine process. Australia is very heavy on them, and that is why my Marsh couldn't come with me. It would have cost me over $8,000 just to get him a one-year stay. Seperation anxiety is always a big hurdle for dogs. Mine is going through it right now, without me being there and all. But its not that bad with him. Depends on the individual dog. I'll be back with him soon though.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 10:11
Aw, your doggie is so cute! I like dogs, I'm not crazy about them though. We have a family dog. Her name is Sadie, and she is a nine-year old German Shepherd. We got her from some friends of ours because they had gotten some other little dogs and couldn't keep her. She is very jealous, because she had a bad early life. Her original owners kept in a cage, and didn't spend much time with her. Our friends were not her original owners, they had gotten her from some other people, but I don't know who.
Here's a picture of her that I took today.

She's an outside dog, (as you can tell by her surroundings). We also have ten cats...crazy, I know. And somewhere around 27ish chickens, (I'm not sure how many), and two parakeets.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 12:14
Ironfoot, I am sorry you could not take your dog with you. Could he see you over the computer while you are away? I have not had a dog in many years but I always try to rescue them when I see them running in the road.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 10:33
Yeah my family usually bring the computer outside to him so he can see me via Skype. He always starts trying to paw at the computer screen! Mareth your German Shep is beautiful. There's something about the German Shepherd breed that strikes a note in me.

3 years later...
Where did my puppy go?!
The only way you can tell both pictures are of the same dog is to look at his left lazy ear. He's still got it.
HistoryRepeating
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 06:59
Aww, such a lovely dog! And I love the floppy left ear.

I would love to have dog - my parents had several when I was a kid - but my husband is allergic. If we had a house with a garden, it might still work out ok, but at the moment we live in an apartment. So no dog for us.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 08:46
Umm, i can hardly stand them.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2013 09:22
Quote from Leoflic_Nightleaf on January 18, 2013, 06:46
Umm, i can hardly stand them.

You can't stand this?!

jk man
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 02:52
Here's one to freak you out Leo...

Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2013 06:53
I'm a lover of any four-legged fuzzy creature! I prefer bigger dogs over the little ones (husky is my favorite!) but sadly we have too many cats that don't like dogs to own one
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2013 02:36
Thanks Ironfoot. Your dog is adorable! Makes me want to jump in the picture and hug him! I agree HistoryRepeating, his floppy ear is really cute.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2013 05:09
I work in a kennels, I have to love them otherwise I would be driven insane.

Best part of my job is when we get photos of the dogs in their new homes.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2013 09:47
Hravan, I would love to work with dogs like that!
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2013 04:43
Quote from Hravan on January 19, 2013, 15:09
I work in a kennels, I have to love them otherwise I would be driven insane.

Best part of my job is when we get photos of the dogs in their new homes.

I worked in a kennel for a several months until I moved. I got to visit some of them when they got new homes and it most of the time brought me to tears

Once I am done with college I am going to join the police force in the US. Border patrol, and I will be apart of the Canine Handlers Program...I'm already signed up in advance! I'll be working with drug detection dogs in the field.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 01:09
The spousal unit and I have three Boston terrors, and I adore them! They're rescues and much to my son's chagrin, have become our substitute children. Did I say substitute? Most people who know me would disagree with that statement. LOL I'd put pictures in, but I'm hopeless when it comes to that level of techno-savvy.
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 01:27
Hi

Here are my boys:

Mango (Collie) is 2,5 years old and Chili (sheltie) is now 11,5 years old.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 01:29
It's easy scots, all you do is blah blah blah ....

Here's another one about the Adventures of Jack The Dog. Jack ignores a giant poodle while simultaneously burying and digging up a rock.

That's odd, it didn't work...
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 01:32
Ah, can't upload TIF files. Convert to jpeg and...
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 04:51
AinarielPalantir, what a beautiful picture of some very beautiful dogs! I love both collies and shelties.

tarcolan, that is a great picture! That looks like a fun dog.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 06:28
Sorry Ainariel I missed your post, we must've both posted at the same time. Beautiful dogs. Collies are different here in the UK, black and white and smaller. I think they're called Border collies, sheepdogs mainly.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 10:29
AinarielPalantir, your dogs are super beautiful! Love the picture!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 10:35
All the doggie pictures and doggie stories are wonderful.

Hravan and Ironfoot, it takes a special person to work in a kennel.

tarcolan, where did you get that picture? Did you take it and is there a real Jack the Dog?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 11:10
Quote from tarcolan on January 20, 2013, 16:28
Sorry Ainariel I missed your post, we must've both posted at the same time. Beautiful dogs. Collies are different here in the UK, black and white and smaller. I think they're called Border collies, sheepdogs mainly.

Well, Border Collies and Collies are completely separate breeds.
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 06:27
Thank you (it's not easy to get a good photo of two dogs so I also like this one very much ^_^ )

Yep, Ironfoot is right. Collie and Border Collie are different breeds but in UK Border Collie is definitely more popular than Collie.

I'm always a bit envy when I see pictures like tarcolan's. In Finland you can't go to almost any beach with dogs, not to mention you could have them without a leash there... In some bigger places some small beaches are allowed for dogs but it's quite rare. Fortunately none of my dogs has been a water lover and we can spend our time in the woods
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 12:05
it's not easy to get a good photo of two dogs
How about eleven bouncy terriers, Ainariel? I found this photo in a flea market. I wonder how long it took.
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 12:26
Hehee, they must have used glue to make them all sit there long enough
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2013 04:41
Quote from AinarielPalantir on January 21, 2013, 22:26
Hehee, they must have used glue to make them all sit there long enough

With my dog, the glue wouldn't even work
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2013 12:18
Wow, those are great pictures of the dogs. I'm not really a dog person, but I do like being around them from time to time.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
tarcolan
Send Message
on: January 22, 2013 01:54
Dogs are great, LegolasXXXXX, they take you for walks. Very long walks if you let them.

Lindarielwen, Jack the Dog is no longer with us, gone to chase sky rabbits long ago. He was the best dog in the world (naturally). He adopted me when his previous human ran away. Yes, I took all the photos of him. He insisted.

Ainariel, most beaches in England now ban dogs. This really annoyed Jack as it interfered with the sport of rock diving, which he invented. We'd throw a rock in the sea and he'd dive for it. He'd always find the right one.

Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2013 07:38
Awww, everybody's dogs are so cute!

Just to clarify, in the UK Mango would be called a Rough Collie. There's a similar breed but much rarer called the Smooth Collie.
And then we've got the Boarder Collie, the Bearded Collie and then there's all the farm collies, which usually have Boarder Collie in them and sometimes Rough, but they're not pedigrees.

We get a lot of failed farm collies in at work.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2013 08:42
Well, I like some dogs. I like puppies. But for the most part, cats rule!
tarcolan
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 02:36
I have discovered irrefutable evidence that cats do not rule.
The Further Adventures of Jack the Dog.
Cap'n Jack barks commands at the crew.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2013 03:56
Aww!!! Ok here is my lovable handsom (old ) pooch, Dafi

Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message