Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I've heard of "The Mentalist" and the only parts I've seen are on the tvs at the gym. Not conducive to watching. lol!!
And no, I don't get meTV. Though I have allowed my friends to convince me to watch "Game of Thrones". It is quite excellent but not kid friendly. I've also started reading the books which are also good.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
No, definitely not kid friendly!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
*stands up and stretches* Well, I must be off. I need to finish my shopping and then go home and do some laundry. It's been nice seeing all of you. *crosses the room and goes out the door*
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Blusters in without enclosing asterisks.
rhod, how about 'I Am Number Four'? Bright colours, lots of movement. I accidentally watched a bit of it. Easy eye candy. Is that the sort of thing? Or there's 'Night Watch', a Russian film so it combines watching and reading. Vampires and everything. So...guess I'll just mosey on outa here.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
..... a few days later.

*comes in shaking the snow off herself* Wow! You really know how to treat a tourist! It's blowing a gale out there, and you can't see five feet in front of you due to driving snow. I wish I stayed home. Oh well, nothing's flying out so I might as well enjoy myself here at the Inn. *waitress comes over as she sits down* I would love a hot chocolate and some of your famous chocolate chip cookies.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
yay! Fresh cookies!! *steals some from E~S and scurries back to armchair*
Not much going on here in my corner of the world. Everyone is off for spring break except me. I get to stay and work. All my roommates are gone, so it's pretty quiet.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
tarcolan
Send Message
Happy International Women's Day everyone.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
^^Really? Well...thanks! I guess...!

I live! We lost our internet service for a week and a half, the cable box finally kicked it. We got FiOS and got Cable TV with twenty jillion channels and high speed internet and WiFi and caller ID and...yeah...
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
tarcolan said: Happy International Women's Day everyone.

Thanks, tarc! When is International Men's Day so I can return your best wishes?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Or, does it even exist?
tarcolan
Send Message
International Men's Day is every other day.

I've accidentally edited the original Dragon Eggspedition into a more readable form. Clumsy me! Find it here if you really have nothing better to do: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p1e4k6fpylm3lkb/NxrUNGEqq2

[Edited on 03/11/2014 by tarcolan]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, OK! *sarcastic* Happy International Men's Day, then.

...and I have accidently read it. Darn. Ah, memories...
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
tarcolan said:International Men's Day is every other day.

Image .... I might have guessed!

*snores gently then wakes up with a start* "My goodness! What a strange dream I just had! It must be all the coffee I've been drinking. I think I should have something more to eat." *reaches for a two muffins sitting the table next to her*
Bubbledragon
Council Member
Send Message
*shimmers into the room out of nowhere*
My goodness there's a lot going on here! How you all been going?
It's nice to hear of you all! Series? Hmm...Depends what's the style you're in for...
-Heroes
-Star Treck
-Red Dwarf
-Pushing Daisies (haven't watched it yet, but Lee Pace is in there...so...)
-Breaking Bad (beware of that one...haven't seen it either, but supposed to be good)
-True Blood (beginning is good but it kinda goes crazy after a while)
Are you interested in mangas? (I can suggest a lot in that domain )
Bubbledragon
Council Member
Send Message
I almost forgot!
For those of you who like Fanfiction and have free time, feel free to go check out the website: https://www.fanfiction.net/
and here's mine if anyone's interested The first one: A Game of Chess is with Thranduil! https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5330707/HavocRider
Hope you guys like it!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Bubbledragon said:
Hope you guys like it!

And the girls?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I watched Pushing Daises reruns... Love Lee Pace!

Oh, do I detect sarcasm, Gandolorin?
tarcolan
Send Message
Hey it's ok to say guys when you mean guys and girls isn't it? By the same token it's ok to use the gender pronoun 'he' when referring to anyone. Insidious patriarchal indoctrination? Nonsense! Don't you ladies worry your purdy little heads with big words. *tips hat* Oops, wrong thread.

[Edited on 03/21/2014 by tarcolan]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said: Oh, do I detect sarcasm, Gandolorin?

I'm at college, 1974, there's a good (country?) blues song being played, and a mean slide guitar solo has just finished, so I blithely comment "Who's the guy on slide guitar?" I do not remember if other guys were there, because I was fixed by three pairs of lasers shooting out of the eyes of the three girls there. The "guy on slide guitar" was Bonnie Raitt, I challenge anyone from the FoF thread to stand up to those laser stares. I know anyone not qualified for the FoF thread would get burned to a crisp.

Also, having read so much Tolkien and stuff about him (but not only because of that) I pounce on sloppy (especially thoughtless) use of language.

A little quiz here: does anyone know what a "handy" is?
tarcolan
Send Message
It's what a mobile phone (cellphone) is called in Germany. There's a BBC program here called QI which has lots of odd facts on it. In fact the brilliant comedian Henning Wehn is on it now and then. He says the Germans love watching 'Antiques Roadshow' because they can't believe anything made in Britain can last a hundred years. He says our ships were so badly built a lot of them sank in the 1940s for no apparent reason.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
After the middle of 1945, most of the (cargo) ships still floating were Liberty ships built in the US. Wrong country, then ...

PRE middle of 1945, a lot of EVERYBODY's ships were sinking, but there were almost always good (meaning of course bad) reasons for their sinking.

You cannot talk about that decade (1940s) as a whole, you always have to separate the halves (unless you go in for some very black British humour).
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
tarc, little off topic, but I was watching BBC the other night. I have no idea how we got have it here in New York, but we do.

Im usually very precise in my use of language, and Im very quick to correct someone if they speak with any gramatical errors. But, there are times when I speak or type without caring, and that is where the wierd stuff comes to from.

[Edited on 03/24/2014 by findemaxam48]
tarcolan
Send Message
Maxie, it's great you get some BBC stuff over there. A lot of it is mediocre but there's some real gems now and then. It works out at about $5 a week which is amazing, and they only have to inform, entertain and educate. That's in their constitution, so they can concentrate on quality and innovation rather than pleasing advertisers. Politicians are always interfering with it but then governments don't like the idea of an independent broadcaster. But we do.

Language is riddled with male-centred assumptions. Mankind, postman, humanity, woman etc. Are me and Gondo the only feminists on here?

(By the way it's 'weird'. i before e except in a whole lot more words where it isn't)

[Edited on 03/23/2014 by tarcolan]
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
That's why I use the all encompassing wonderful southern "y'all". Tarc-maybe y'all just like to argue.
and spelling wEIrd is the bane of my existence. lol!! You'd think that after all my years, I would know by now....ah well.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, I meant to do the strikethrough for "Weird." Hold on...
tarcolan
Send Message
I am the Wielder of the Wooden Spoon here, rhod. But then if y'all gonna be riters, better to rite rite, rite?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
There we go. Anyways, with a few things I can be feministic, but with others...*shrugs* I think jobs should have the chance to go to both men and women equally, and I like going to school, but otherwise...
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
If I were to just happily type away here with my very-variable-number-of-fingers "technique" without using my spell-check first, it would be a riot of bloopers.
Never mind when my cursor decides to jump to another window or randomly back in my text, that would be a word puzzle.

By the way, isn't there supposed to be a spell-check here somewhere? I use an e-mail for it (an open Word document just drove me crazy with continuous senseless messages). A spell-check in CoE would be quite helpful!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I hate it when my cursor jumps! That happens in school all the time. Yes, spell check would be wonderful!
LegolasArwenLadyOfTheLight
Council Member
Send Message
They even have it so that you can write a handwritten message, why not add spellcheck?
Myka
tarcolan
Send Message
Your browser should be spell checking text input as you type. I usually use Firefox but I'm typing this on Chrome and it cheks (red underline there) spelling as well. I don't know about Safari and no-one uses IE any more do they? I might switch to Chrome 'cos it's using a British dictionary. I can't get Firefox to do that.

I just found out how to change the spelling dictionary in Firefox. Hooray! Right click in this text box.

[Edited on 03/25/2014 by tarcolan]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im using Internet Explorer, thats why. Ah well, that is what I recieve for an old computer.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Slips downstairs from where she's been recovering from a nasty virus.

"Greetings, everybody!! I'm finally over my illness and starting to feel myself once again. I hope none of you catch it."

Gazes around and heads for a comfy chair by the large fireplace as she doesn't want to catch a chill.

"Waitress! I'm starving so I would like a nice bowl of soup followed by the Ploughman's lunch. Do you have coffee? Excellent! I will have a mug of coffee; cream, no sugar."

Sits back and waves at tarc.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Glad that you are feeling better, E~S! Come in and join our converssation!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Moves chair closer to the group gathered on the other side of the fire.

"How is everybody? Has spring arrived in your area yet?"
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email