Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1920212223Last >>
Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
The monsoons continue in this area, with heavy rainfall causing severe flooding in some areas. Due to the mountains that separate it from the side where I reside, the West Coast of the Island gets first crack at the rainfall, and evacuations have been happening.

According to Stats Canada we experirnced the wettest October on record and, so far, November is shaping up the same way. Mind you, the mild temperatures mean that I have some annuals still blooming, and my neighbour said her fushias are putting out new shoots!

Oscar really hates the rain and tries to hold everything until his back legs are crossed. It truly astonishes me how long he can hold it before he heads to the door. Once he's out, it's a huge production finding the right spot, i.e. no tall grass and no puddles, and we're usually back home PDQ.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your Sunday, and have an awesome week!

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Obama called on people to have some patience with Trump. Obama apparently is a gentleman and a decent person (always with the caveat about how far any successful politician can be called anything of the sort). What a universe of difference to the - and no other terms serve here - rabid lunatics who went after him and everything he stood for starting in 2008 (rerun of what happened to Bill Clinton 1992).
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
You speak truly, Gondolorin. These are very sad days. Let's hope and pray he doesn't start WWIII.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Ahhh, the perils of democracy, in which an entirely unsuitable candidate can capture enough hearts in the right places to get in. When i read of his victory, i was utterly dismayed. My condolences. I hope that wiser minds prevail and suppress the racists, misogynists and other idiots who have found a spokesperson in him. May the light of Elbereth shine on you all in these dark times.

BTW- Swabby, nice to see your post. How are you, old friend?

Belle- you asked where my husband is from. He grew up mostly in Hamilton, Ontario, but was actually born near Munich at a Displaced Persons ( i.e. Refugee) camp in 1948. I call him my Import.

Halloween was the same as usual, with not a soul in sight. i always decorate, but being in a rural area without streetlights or sidewalks, we rarely get any trick-or-treaters * sigh*. So we are forced to eat the goodies ourselves! Our pagan group did put on a lovely service at church in which we honoured our ancestors, so it not was not a total loss. The unseasonably warm weather also was good.

ES-I am happy for the improvements in your back condition. A proper mattress can make all the difference. And the terrific savings on linens are just the icing on the cake. Enjoy!

Things are good here. Weather has been warm. Son Mark is getting lots of hours at work, though he is only on casual. He is studying diligently for his Nursing licensing exam and awaiting a date to write it. Son Mike just got a full time position at his job- hooray! Son Nick is really enjoying his residency and getting more surgery time. I am fairly busy at work again, but still only doing about three days a week. Its a good balance for me. Hubby and i are starting to research where we might want to live in S Ontario.

Haven't yet clapped eyes on the two new Tolkien publications. Have any of you read them?

Well, we are expecting a dump of snow today and tomorrow. Have had our winter ires on for a while, located our shovels, made room for vehicles in the garage and shelter. And so it begins.

Blessings on all of you.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I've run across the name Noam Chomsky in innumerable books, articles, whatnot. A current reread of the second volume of Swiss Catholic theologian Hans Küng's memoirs finally led me to go to the Wikipedia article on Noam Chomsky. Found a link to (not solely) his "propaganda model", first incarnation published in 1988. How shall I put it. He broke the code. Duhnald (or for that matter Dubya) "makes sense".
In the sense of the quote attributed to Albert Einstein: "Only two things are probably infinite: human stupidity and the universe. But I'm still not certain about the universe."
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
It's been a terrific sunny and warm day 13C today it was nice walking in the woods with my little bulldog.It was strange to see my neighbourg(not sure of my spelling)by this warm day,feeling like spring, putting up her Christmas decorations.

NEENIME:Are you talking about Bandersnatch?It is on my shopping list.What is the other one?

Nice evening all
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
HI Dimple, No, I was referring to The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun and to Beren and Lúthien.

Wow, 13* (that's 55 for your you Fahrenheit-speakers) ! How lovely. We are scraping our way out of our traditional mid-November ice/sleet/snow storm, but expect temps above freezing in a couple of days. It's going to be messy if we get a freeze-thaw cycle as we did a couple of years ago.

Gandolorin - a well-read friend of mine is a great fan of Noam Chomsky Manufacturing Consent)and of Chris Hedges . He quoted both extensively throughout the campaign. Sadly,so much of what they said has come to pass. Chomsky sounds quite brilliant. He is on my "To Read" list, but right now, I am taking solace in fantasy.

Be well !

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Our first rain today for many, many moons. We need it desperately as everything is bone dry. Cooler temps, too, which I am not complaining of. Has been a warmer fall going into winter than we have had in a while, and not just here.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all my American friends. I hope that you can sit down with loved ones, enjoy a feast worthy of Hobbits, reach out in friendsh to neighbours and let gratitude fill your hearts.

We are digging out of another snow fall, but certainly not an unusual amount for this time of year. Heard a disturbing report on the news about sea ice in the Far North being much, much thinner than it should be. Not only is that difficult for the people who live there, it bodes ill for the state of the world's climate. It was IS however, good the hear that even (some) officials from the banking and manufacturing world are in favour of taking action to reduce carbon emissions. One can only hope that we have not left it too late.

In happier news, i saw Hacksaw Ridge a few days ago. Hugo ( Elrond) Weaving gave an intense performance as the father. I would say he deserves a nomination for Best Supporting Actor. It's s a great story. I recommend it.

[Edited on 11/24/2016 by Neenime]
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thank you, Neenime! Cooking today for our friends we are staying with and inviting a young woman who has no one in the area to join us. Not happy to hear about the issues you mentioned. Agreed that we have far too large of a carbon footprint and that hope we are not too late in trying to rectify it. So many other not so good things going on int today's world. As for Mr. Weaving, he is absolutely amazing and not appreciated nearly enough in my opinion. I'd like to see that movie as whatever he is in, he gives his all to the role.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, belated "happy turkey day" to all who celebrate it (it got lodged in my brain as turkey-centered more than 45 years ago, and I have not been able to get rid of the impression). Fourth Thursday in November, as Wikipedia informs me.

@Neenime: ANOTHER snowfall??? In Scandinavia, central Canada, Alaska, ...? Though we did have some early snow here perhaps eight years ago, and six years ago too, perhaps ...
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Gandolorin, though the temperatures have turned above freeing and will be so for the rest of the week, so we may lose a lot of it. Unfortunately, that will make driving treacherous if the stuff freezes overnight. We will need to be careful

Meanwhile my relatives in Western Ukraine had 30 cm in one go.

In the meantime, it is a glorious winter-like day and my snowshoes are calling me !
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I awoke this morning to a skiff of snow on the ground. It's pretty much melted now.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I woke up this morning with a good 12cm of snow,goodbye the 13C temp. of last weekend! I must admit that it was a beautiful sight almost magic,even if I don't like winter but what can I say the first snow is often like faerie.

NEENIME: I wasn't aware about the new books,I will look into it.Thanks.

A nice evening to all
BelleBayard
Send Message
No snow for us in Southern California, but this weekend we got more rain than we have seen in a very long time. Of course, the roads were slippery and people following too close. However, we needed that wetness and hope we get more. Just not so much all at one time! LOL
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We had a heavy frost last night, and awoke to a beautiful sunny day here. It's a wonderful break from the unrelenting rains we have been receiving. Apparently we have set new rainfall records for Octoberand November. It would be nice if we could send some to our drought stricken neighbours to the south.

Enjoy your week everyone!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We also had frost last night, and as per right now (20:42 CET) again. Normal weather for the season. With some people, I have the feeling one needs to tell them that NO, your TV remote control will have NO effect on the weather outside ... really, really not! Nor will any politician ...

[Edited on 11/28/2016 by Gandolorin]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
We're looking into our first heatwave of the summer... could be up to 37. I'm hoping the humidity will be low, but the forecast of storms tells me that won't be the case. Cleaning the A/C filters tonight.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Do you live in an area prone to fires, Arveleg? I only ask because my neighbour have friends who had to be evacuated last year. They were fortunate as the wind changed direction, and the fire moved away from their property.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Not too much. More tropical rain and flooding around here. The bushfires are usually further south in Victoria, South Australia, and New South Wales.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Some had rain,some had heatwave but here we had a major snowstorm,55hours without power,no water no heat no nothing,tree branches heavy with snow falling on the electric wire,26,000 people affected.It started early thursday morning and everything came back on saturday afternoon.We had a reserve of 15 bottles of water but that wasn't enough,we had to go to the store and bought 48 more to use for the bathroom,washing ourselves and the dishes.We use so much water in our daily lives that we don't realise it and take it for granted water is so precious.We used a little camping stove for soup and stew and we ate sandwiches.I put all the milk products and the perishable in a bac outside in the snow,no food was lost.For warmth we had a kerosene heater and it was fine for the first floor,and two power pack for lighting so we weren't so bad we used what we had but it was a long 55hours.
When it came back I was so glad to take a shower you would have believed I never had one before!
This little episode made me think of the movie ''The road''when everything is gone and people are searching for food and water and a place to sleep and security and I thought what will we do in the same events and I hope that nothing like that will ever happen. Scarry!

Have a good week
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
How awful Dimple! I'm glad you were prepared in any case. I have a couple of coolers I've put to good use over the years when we've had power outages here. I gather from watching the weather channel that other similar systems are heading your way. Stay safe, and warm.

The weather here is decidedly wintery now. We're supposed to have more snow towards the weekend. Apparently, the snow we had the other day was the first measurable amount in three winters. The stores were very busy today with shoppers stocking up in case they're snowed in.

Enjoy the rest of your week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
You're right ES,the snow hit us again today with a 20cm and another 5cm during the night.No problem to have a white Christmas here!At least we didn't loose power this time.

I know what we're going to do tomorrow,shovel,snowblowing and walking around the house with my snowshoes to make a trail for my Felix,he doesn't have much legs so the trails help him and he can go around doing whatever he wants to do.

Have a nice week
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just checked older posts; Felix would be your bulldog, right? Not quite the cold & snow loving breed like the diverse breed of the husky type, I'll guess. And with the shortish legs 20 plus cm of snow would have him plowing away through it a bit strenuously. Though on the other hand, bulldogs also do not take well to really hot weather. A bit over-bred in the nose department, as I've heard.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
So far the temperatures have hovered just on the other side of 0°C, and there has been snow every night requiring removal every morning. I'm not complaining though. Looking at the weather back East makes ours look downright balmy.

Stay warm, and safe, everyone.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
December so far (at least where I live) has been a bit short on precipitation of any kind once again (after last year's summer drought, winter also was on the dry side, making things worse in spring). Temperatures have been meandering around the freezing point, skewed a bit towards the above side. Kind of run-of-the-mill.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Dimple what an adventure you have been having. Did you have that much snow last year. I am glad you are okay now. Glad you will have a white Christmas. We have had frigid temperatures but no snow. I have been sick and broken hearted. My son has PTSD and is bipolar and he did not like the way I voted and wanted me to vote third party. I did not so he said he did not want anything more to do with me because of the way I voted and because I believe in God. He won't talk to me or text me and deleted me as his friend on Facebook. I have begged him to get help but he ignores me. It has been very difficult but I still have hope. I have his best friend visit him daily to make sure he is doing okay.. It was so good to read how you all are doing in your lives. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

[Edited on 12/23/2016 by awelyn418]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Awelyn, my sincerest condolences to you, and your son, about his and your aggravated emotional issues. I just want to say one thing about this situation PTSD / bipolar: it is not your fault. Don't let anyone tell you this - and that includes yourself. It is not your fault!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Thank you Gandolorin. I needed that encouragement.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
GANDOLORIN:Yes,this is he,the powerful bulldog,big chest,no legs,big heart.With my snowshoes I made him nice little trails.He follows them until the edge of the wood, go in and do his things and come back happy running like a fool.He is a very funny dog.

AWELYN:I agree with Gandolorin.Please dear friend don't blame yourself,you have nothing to do with your son's condition,it's not your fault!!

To all of you here, have a Merry and peaceful Christmas,lots of love and friendship not only at this time of the year but all year round and always.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

I hope everyone in the FoF club have a wonderful Christmas with great joy and good food. ES
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Image Merry Christmas to everyone!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Na merye i tuluhalmeri!

Awelyn- my heart aches for you. To be rejected for just having your own opinion, and by a son whom you obviously love, must be very painful. I can only hope that it is the disease twisting his thoughts and that he will come back to his senses when it feels better. I hope that he is getting treatment for both conditions. Sending healing thoughts to both of you.

I hope that you all have had restful and restorative visits with family and friends over the season. Our Christmas Eve was noisy, almost too much so. My mother invited people from her apartment building,so that filled the hole left by deceased and working family members. I has been feeling anticipatory sadness over what was not to be. The noise level was a bit much for my brain and my husband's , but we got through it.

My sadness about days gone by and about the little power struggles between those of us who are control freaks ( yes, i include myself there)threatened to dampen my spirits. Then I decided to acknowledge my loss but to celebrate what is the reason for the season ( in my view)- the renewal of light and life, the recognition of the divine in each person, the new message of hope and love. That lifted my spirits , reminded me to not let ego run the show and the day was imperfect but good.

Two of our sons had to work, so they missed both dinners, but we have spent some time together. Our youngest will arrive late tonight for a few days, so at will make us happier.

Do you folks have any special customs that you keep at Christmas and NEw Years?
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Friends, on this last day of 2016, I wish only for good things to fill your future days.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Happy New Year from Germany! Image Image Image
<< First1920212223Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email