Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First2223242526Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Thank you for the birthday wishes and well wishes for my husband. Gandolorin and Belle. My least favorite birds are the Grackles because they chase away the Cardinals and doves away. The are so mean to the baby doves and other birds in my back yard.
Belle, snow how different from what you are use to in California. We are having Spring temps. I went to see my daughter who lives 180 miles from me this weekend and temps dropped in the 30's at night. But very nice here. We are waiting for test results about my husband and I am getting impatient. Have a good week.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all. I hope that those of you who celebrate Easter had an inspiring and happy time.

Gandolorin - have the rains continued ? I know it's been very dry for you until recently. I see on another thread that you are about to retire. How wonderful. I wish you all the best in this new phase of your life. As yet I am only semi-retired,but even so, very much enjoying a slower pace of life.

Our weather has been a bit milder than usual for Spring, until yesterday. We have an ice storm here that will continue today. Expecting up to 20mm of ice accumulation, which will likely result in trees and power lines going down. Schools and many businesses were closed yesterday, so I had a day off at home. Being self-employed, that's not great for the bank account but safety is more important !

Belle - i hope that by the time you are reading this, the migraine is long gone. No doubt you are still adjusting to your new life. Glad that you have found the magic of pine forests. We are surrounded by them here and they are an elixir as powerful as any Ent draught.

ES - yes,you folks were hit hard with unseasonable snow. No doubt that has melted and the Spring flowers are out in full force now !

I am eager to get out into the yard,but that will have to wait a few days. Need to start cleaning up the yard as we will be putting the house up for sale this Spring. Hubby retires on June 1st, so we will be especially busy after that.

We discovered wonderful bird visitors recently. Had been hearing an owl calling very close to our home about 5 weeks ago. Eventually, we spotted a Great Horned Owl right in the trees at the edge of our property. Then last weekend we realized there is a nest about 15 ft from the house! So, in fact, there is a pair of owls and either eggs or hatchlings nearby. What a treat to hear them calling and watch them flying - silent and graceful. We've managed some great photos, but mostly we are moved by the beauty of these birds.

Wishing you all good weather, good health and the joy of the returning warmth.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime said:... Gandolorin - have the rains continued ? I know it's been very dry for you until recently ...

Yes, it has been cloudy, amazingly also with occasional rain (I can remember far wetter Aprils!), often since Easter. But the precipitation was accompanied by a cold front, meaning some other places (at slightly higher elevation and up) had traffic-hindering snow - including trains! The weather keeps flip-flopping, no gradual transitions nowadays!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
It's not made its mind up if it's winter or spring as we had about 3 inches of snow that has now melted off. We have mountain chickadees, black capped chickadees in addition to Steller's jays, black billed magpies, and crows. Still unpacking (or repacking after going through to toss or keep or find a place for now) and probably will be for a few more weeks. Then have to figure out how to set up a sewing space and maybe, a writing space as well. It's a bit soggy here with the snow melt, but it's also greening up. I can see the tiny aspen buds and beginning of pine cones, so there is the hope of warmer weather. Actually, not brutally cold, just amusing to see the sun shining with flurries of snowflakes coming down.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, weather changes seem more abrupt these days. It can make planning difficult. We just took off our snow tires last week and now we have ice pellets to drive through. My little Honda Fit wasn't a match for them, even with sandbags in the back.

Well, lets hope the warmer weather decides to stay now! I am itching to get into the yard and garden.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Congrats on retirement, Gando! I hope you enjoy being retired as much as I do.

[Edited on 07/01/2017 by BelleBayard]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
(If you can repeat a post so can I!)

Tham mou memy mush. No, luckily I have fixed crown tooth replacements, I can't misplace my teeth yet. But for the retirees, would opening a FoS thread make sense? For those who have personal memories of the sixties ... never mind, just a brainstorm (or something that feels like it).
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh my goodness we have had flooding in southeast Missouri. It has been a stressful and sad time for some. I have not been directly in flood areas. Some of the areas I know well and makes me sad to see them in that condition but clean up has started and we Missourians are a hardy lot. We will get through it. Happy retirement Gandolorin. I hope you get more rain. Oh I love owls and the sound they make and to see them in flight is a thing of beauty to behold. Neenime good luck with selling your house. What has happened to our Dimple? Belle so glad things are going well and that you are adjusting. We had to reschedule husbands surgery consult for this Tuesday. Have a great week.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds awful, awelyn. I read something about southern Indiana also being hit, being (by US standards) relatively close to southern Missouri. Big rainfalls hitting the Mississippi - Ohio River region? From what I've also read, sub-hurricane storm systems rolling in from the Gulf hardly make the news because of the relatively "low" wind speeds, but they can dump water with the "best" of the (in-) famous hurricanes. And to keep things from getting "boring", it's also a part of tornado alley? We are very lucky here to be spared such "excitement", weather-wise. And the stream flowing through our city has a large, for its size positively huge flood plain with an absolute ban on building. Proportional to its width, the Mississippi would probably need ten to twenty miles on each shore with no buildings …

We have had more rain, all very moderate, but the temperatures – due to much more overcast without rain than with, and thus a lack of sunshine – are on the low side. So some plants, especially flowers, are still holding back, causing issues for quite a few insects who should be up and about the business of pollination, and not a few birds nesting by now. Even most if not all grain-eaters as adults need to feed their young with a high-protein diet, which mostly means insects. Be it one thing or another, spring is having a bit of a hard time here, and we’re more than half-way to summer. But, with my having over forty years’ experience with the weather here, it's well within the ups and downs of that time, and nothing to get excited about at all. But “news” is all about excitement these days; I say let ‘em babble, but too many people believe there is something “exciting” about it *shakes head* - get a life, folks!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Well, rain I expected, but now we have about 4 feet of snow and it's still coming down. Son visiting from Seattle as of Wednesday night and is more than a little stuck here till things melt a bit as we don't have anyone to plow our driveway out to the main two-lane highway. At least we have plenty of food and a warm house. Internet is slow as molasses in January, though. Heh... I still love living here. We had a bull moose munching on the new growth under the snow yesterday. Quite a sight, his antlers covered in velvet. The snow at that point was up to his knees, but now I'd venture to say it'd be over his shoulders!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
How shall I put this – bull-moose-hindering snow when we’re just two weeks away from the start of our city’s ten-day beer festival (a “Kirchweih” or church consecration / inauguration event, now in its 262nd year) is NOT on the to-have list!

We have had sufficient rain by now that even the most hesitant trees and bushes have started sprouting leaves. April was, as per the regional newspaper article recently, a bit on the cool side, a few areas still suffering from insufficient rainfall, but at least we have been spared excessive weather stuff like torrential rains. The weather is a bit wayward and changeable, but all well within long-term trends.

(Only the nutcases who don't realize that 2015 was a severe drought, if not quite the warmest summer on record are grumbling about the weather)

[Edited on 05/21/2017 by Gandolorin]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
[color=#333399]I planted my first annuals today and will be heading out to buy the rest of my plants this weekend. There isn't any chance of frost any longer (sorry Belle), and there's a nice mixture of sun and rain so they should grow well. Besides, I actually remembered to put fertilizer in the soil when I planted them.

My walking partner and I took our dogs and her granddaughters (aged 3 and 5) with us. The girls had decided to bring their strollers and baggies of food (in case we got lost?), and it took us twice as long to make the journey than usual. They're really cute and love wading through the muddy ditches, looking for frogs.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We've been having our fist warmer spell, to continue into the weekend (temps in the 80s°F). As is often the case, the warm spell will end up with thunderstorms, though if any of that makes it as far inland as we are remains to be seen.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We've been having beautiful week, with a very cool spring. Everybody has been scrambling around getting their gardens ready for planting. I've been weeding and putting in bedding plants, and will plant a few vegetables as well.

We have been going walking at 8:00 am to avoid the heat. The dogs have been enjoying themselves immensely on the school playing grounds. Mind you, it can be dangerous. My right knee got bonked by a very enthusiastic black lab puppy. LOL No damage done fortunately.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, and that our American FOFers enjoy their Memorial Day festivities.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Oh dear, the warmer spell (with temps hitting 90°F) is now predicted to continue well into the week, with thunder-showers (not storms) now being couched in terms of “maybe”, “tendency”, “possibility” … Looks like our second drought spell is in the making, as even the wishy-washy predictions above are pretty much limited to (low) mountain ranges south (Alps etc.), south-east and north of us.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Oh dear, Gando, not sounding good at all. No more snow for us, just rainy weather, which is fine with me. Lost some trees all around us and in the surrounding forest lands because of the amount we got. Busy digging out the drainage ditch to try and keep the crawl space (almost 4 feet deep) drier. Our work is cut out for us! We're on a slight slope and the run off from the melting snow and the rain can make us quite muddy!
awelyn418
Send Message
hello I have just a minute before bed. Hubby is doing well after surgery . It is a long story and I will be back another time husband is tucked in bed now it is my turn. Have a good week.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@ awelyn – so thankfully the surgery has gone well. For you hubby, once again get well and for you that your worries may now be relieved.

@ belle – we had some disorganized thunderclouds yesterday which did a bit of loudmouthed rumbling, but only left a short spray of rain which basically only made it more muggy. Current (just past midnight, temp still 21°C / 70°F) forecast says there might be thundershowers, which could be heavy. Oh §$%&ß@€µ#, you stupid clouds, just §$%&ß@€µ# RAIN!!!

awelyn418
Send Message
Husband continues to recover but strength is returning slowly and he has lost quite a bit of weight. So digestive enzymes are now part of his daily medications. Also small amount of daily insulin to help retain his calories. So fingers crossed he will put the weight back on and soon. Hope you are all having a good week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Hoping your hubby is doing well (and you!). Went from winter to summer - some thunderstorms, but also temps in the high 70's up here and down on flats in the 90's. Planted a blackberry and a raspberry in our field - we'll see how they do, barring moose eating them. LOL Wishing you all a good day.
awelyn418
Send Message
Belle he continues to do well. We went to a diabetic training today and learned about carbs and fats and there was so much info I was a little overwhelmed. He uses a insulin pin and just once a day. But we have opened our pool and have been so busy. So have a great rest of the week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes, it can be quite overwhelming, awelyn. However, if your healthcare team is good, they will make sure you have a diabetic educator available to ask questions. There is also a LOT of information on the Internet. Insulin pens are so much easier to use than a syringe and vial of insulin because of the ability to dial in the amount needed. If he is able to exercise, even lightly, that will help as well. Wishing you both the very best.

FYI, we had a bear, not a moose, eating our bird food so, we have taken the feeder down and made our garbage more secure. Yogi decided that because our shed smelled like trash, he was going to rip off one of the side boards and look for the source. Not really anything there, BUT we made sure to put what we do have in a heavier shed (actually an old foaling barn). We've also taken to rinsing out any used containers to decrease the odor. I love living in the forest (and yes, we DO live in a forest), but you have to adjust for the critters. I'm not mad at the bear, just don't want him inside with ME! LOL

Got up to 84 yesterday up here and it was baking in the high 90's and low 100's down in the valley. Fortunately, it's cooling off a bit. Didn't feel like doing much of anything yesterday, just laying around with the fans on. Heh... Wishing you all the very best.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
A bear! A Grizzly (brown bear) or black bear? Phew, would make me instantly wish for a fair-sized pack of livestock guard dogs, oh, say Great Pyrenees (or even Pyrenean Mastiff?), Anatolian Shepherd Dog, Leonberger, Tibetan Mastiff … But that would make the “pet” food portion of the personal budget go ballistic. Oh, well …

We had some rain precisely during the ten-day beer festival here (not on all ten days, but centered on the first weekend 03-05 June, with Monday being a holiday, and the second weekend). But since Sunday 11 June it has been zilch rain here in our area again (other places in Germany have had rain, as seems the norm nowadays too much in too short a time – grumble). Today was the hottest day of the year so far, hitting 35°C / 95°F. My preference for such weather of long ago has evaporated as would a shallow puddle under such circumstances. And forest fire alert levels are at of near maximum – not a nice thought considering the mayham that happened in Portugal.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Black bear, Gando. Grizzly have been hunted out of existence in Colorado. Now if we were in Montana or even Wyoming, that would be a different matter, I do believe. Weather is all over the place. Sunny, then cloudy, thunderstorms... typical Colorado weather. heh... Hoping that things cool down for you as fire is no good for anyone. The bear has not returned, but we have had an adolescent bull moose moseying around the property regularly. Beautiful creatures, but I won't mess with them either. Considering a possible Anatolian once our old dogs go. Hear they are great LGD.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
More to the point for your new home in Colorado, the Anatolian Shepherd is classified as a mountain dog. Many people, when they think of Turkey / Anatolia think only of hot weather. While that is true in the summer, the mountainous regions are also severely cold in the winter. But they are also large dogs, straying into Great Dane / Irish Wolfhound territory, but with the positive aspect that they are still very much bred as working dogs, while many of the Great Dane / Irish Wolfhound breeders have gone a bit off the deep end in the rivalry for the tallest dog in the Guinness Book.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Finally! after more than two weeks:

Mod note: Image links in this and some other posts removed as Photobucket just changed their sharing policy and no longer allows it. Apologize. Thinking Gandolorin had posted pictures of rain, which they need desperately.

BelleBayard
Send Message
Sorry, the pics didn't show, Gando. I'm assuming it FINALLY rained. Just found out that Photobucket no longer allows sharing unless you want to pay $400 a year. Meh... Editing your post to delete those links. How aggravating. :/

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
It was that “singing in the rain” emoji that E~S hat posted in one (or both) of her smiley threads here. In another Forum, she posted an appropriate comment to photobucket in an appropriate thread, fairly ballistic. I have no idea what the business models behind such sites as photobucket are, but pb might see a hemorrhage of users leaving them for other alternatives.
BelleBayard
Send Message
I agree totally. So irritating. Has to be some way to store photos online that doesn't get weird about sharing on a site like this. Meh...
BelleBayard
Send Message
I agree totally. So irritating. Has to be some way to store photos online that doesn't get weird about sharing on a site like this. Meh...
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Belle, I've been using PostImage for years and they don't charge for posting my photos on another site.

Here's their blurb about themselves:

"Postimage was founded in 2004 to provide message boards with an easy way to upload images for free. Postimage is a very simple, fast and reliable free image service. It's perfect for linking to auctions, message boards, blogs and other websites. Postimage guarantees maximum uptime and performance so that your image will be here whenever you need it. There is no registration or login; all you have to do is submit your picture. With continuous upgrades and dedicated staff Postimage is the #1 solution for Free Image Hosting."

Hopefully that helps.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We continued to have useful rain, though in shorter doses, since my 27.06. post. But the weather in other regions once again was like what could be compared to the social sensibility of a fourteen-and-a-half-year-old Heavy Metal head banger wrestling fan. The region around Berlin, and especially the city itself, was deluged within 24 hours by what has been described as between normal for the month of June and what would be normal for three months. Way beyond anything the drainage system can handle, so subways and streets were navigable by boats in several places. Makes one think of the manic-depressive syndrome in humans.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes, sounds like it, Gando. Too much or not enough, but nothing in moderation. Thanks for the info, NenyaGold!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
And for a change, the (self-styled) “left-wing” “hooligans” grab the attention of the news at the G20 summit in Hamburg. Hamburg has had a not-so-small left-wing radical scene for decades (as does Berlin), but such “occasions” as the G20 draws radicals including hooligan types from all over Germany, and Europe, and probably some world-wide, like wasps to a picnic. The noise of the loudmouths as usual drowns out much larger peaceful demonstrations from a wide spectrum of, how shall I put it, people who are definitely not fans of Milton Friedman (Greenpeace and Attac come to mind spontaneously, but there are many others), who all have legitimate grievances against the perversions of Globalization (and some have issues about distancing themselves from the "hooligans" ). The hard core, the “hooligans”, are ironically called the Black Block (due to the color of their garb, including being masked). Ironic because due to German (or for that matter non-US) political color coding, black is associated with the “Christian” parties, derived from the color of the garb of the – mostly Roman “Catholic” - lower clergy. The left’s color code is red internationally.

But with all the senseless violence and destruction, I still think that they have done far less damage, by several orders of magnitude, than that “unholy” trinity of Presidents (PET) attending the G20 summit. They make some other less-than-savory attendees look relatively “good”.

[Edited on 07/08/2017 by Gandolorin]
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello everyone. It is hot as Hades in southeast Missouri. I have been spending as much time as possible in my pool. I exercise in my pool because it is easier on my joints. My husband is doing so well. I am so proud of him. We are suppose to get rain tonight which is good. Have a great weekend all.
<< First2223242526Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email