Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Please," Mosaic asked Nym. "Do you recal any other details of his health? Can he travel? Where is he?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira smiled at the young woman's eagerness. "His last letter came two weeks ago. At that time, Derik said Targon was in good health, but not nearly well enough to travel. He also said he was going to stay in Gondor for awhile."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
{~*Sorry*~}

[Edited on 07/02/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Why would he stay in Gondor?" Mosaic wondered aloud at Nym's declaration. "His family is here. I wonder how badley he is hurt. You say he cannot travel?" In her eagerness, she was missing details of the conversation. Targon is alive!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine listened intently to the conversation until a traveler called for his horse to be tended to. He rose excusing himself. After tending to the horse he walked over to Swift.
"What's the matter buddy?" he asked rubbing the horses nose.
The horse snorted and butted his shoulder gently.
"Yes I know I need to go back home to Cwen but how can I break it to her that father and Durith are dead."
He leaned against the stall for a moment then returned to the inn.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic had to leave the conversation because her break was over, but she told Nym, "Please, when Eadwine returnes, feel free to continue speaking with him about this matter. I have told him much. Do you need anything else?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Yes, I do need something else. But I don't know if you could help me," Nymira replied glumly. "In answer to your earlier question, my brother Derik is a trader and merchant. He travels for a living. He said he is staying on in Gondor for a little while to help in the infirmary as he has had some medical training."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Perhaps I can help you," Eadwine said sitting down across from Nym.
He shifted uncomfertably trying to position himself to where he wasn't looking down on her. He hated looking down on people and his height made it hard.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym smiled sadly at the young man across from her. "I don't think you can, unless you know someone who would hire a poor weak female for work." she replied, and though she said it jokingly, her eyes told Eadwine she had been called just that in her previous endeavors at getting a job. She sighed and stared down at her hands. "I just don't know what I will tell my parents. I need a job so much."

[Edited on 07/04/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
More people poured into the inn. Mother finally came down from the upstairs and began to mingle with customers, laughing and smiling and generally being where ever Mosaic needed to be. She waited for three minutes to set down an order, which consequently made her late for her other tables.

As more came in, tables were grouped together so that strangers sat near each other. Mosaic was glad to see that Eadwine and Nym sat together, though Eadwine took frequent breaks to tend to his stable duties.

Mother was closing in on the tables near where Eadwine and Nym sat. Mosaic was afraid that once her mother identified herself to Nym, the girl would tell of Targon and all that was transpiring in Gondor. Mosaic knew that her mother would become angry and perhaps throw the girl out, Eadwine too if he was with her.

In between an order, Mosaic swooped to Nym's ear. "Please," Mosaic said in a whisper, making the girl jump, "Make sure you and Eadwine say nothing of Targon to Mother."

She hurried away again.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym stared after the young woman, rather puzzled. "It would seem her mother would be glad to hear of her son." However, since her new friend had requested that she not speak of it, she wouldn't.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I'm Eadwine," he said introducing himself to Nym.
He frequently jumped up to tend to stranger's horses. Mosaic was running in circles. A woman was mingling among the guests talking and laughing. In three long strides he reached the bar and picked up a stack of plates.
"Where do these go?" he asked Mosaic.
"Table three," she gasped.
Eadwine nodded and quickly set the plates down. He returned and went until the business settled down. He then helped Mosaic gather the dishes and prepare them to be washed. He was stopped by the woman.
"So you must be the new hired hand," she said smiling.
"Yes ma'am," he answered.
"I'm Mosaic's mother."
Eadwine thought about telling her the good news about her son but stopped. Mosaic needed to tell her mother.
"I'm Eadwine."
"Where do you come from Eadwine?"
Despite the woman's smiles he felt like he was being interrogated.

[Edited on 07/05/2014 by Cenor]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic saw Eadwine standing awkwardly from some distance away, even through the small window in the kitchen that outlooked the rest of the room. Mother was smiling and being her usual overbearing self. Mosaic dumped another bucket of clean water into the basin and scrubbed a bar of soap over a plate.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine slipped into the kitchen trying to avoid the Mosaic's mother. She had stopped to talk to Nym freeing him. Mosaic was scrubbing hard at a plate. He found a dry towel and started wiping the dishes.
"Do you have any other family," he addressed Mosaic.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"No, since my father died and Targon went missing, it has just been me and mother," Mosaic said, hauling over a stack of dirty plates. "Unfortunatly."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Ahh," Eadwine breathed thinking of his sister. "I have a sister at home with my aunt. She doesn't know about Father and Durith though."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I always wished I had a sister," Mosaic said with a sigh. "Can you keep up in here? I want to go check on Nym." Eadwine nodde, so Mosaic handed hima clean rag and went out into the dining room.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira nodded to the woman who had introduced her self as Mosaic's mother. She assumed Mosaic was the young woman who had been serving her. "I am Nymira." she said. The woman stayed chatting for several moments before moving off to check on an arriving customer. Nym slumped into her chair. She gazed round the room, and noticed the young woman who had served her making her way to Nym's table. She greeted her with a smile. "You are Mosaic, right?" she asked. "I don't think I ever got your name." The young woman nodded. Mosaic asked Nym is she needed anything. "No," replied Nym. She looked at Mosaic's tired, worn-out face. "But you look as though you could do with a rest." Nym stood. "So, what can I do to help? I still have about an hour or two until I am due home." She said "home" with a pained expression, but the look passed quickly. "I am at your disposal until then." she said, then added quickly, "I'm volunteering. I don't expect anything in return."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Yes, I am," Mosaic said with a start, surprised to find that she had forgotten to introduce herself. She nodded.

Nym was quick to offer her services at the inn, refusing pay. "Alright," Mosaic said tiredly. "You can help Eadwine and I with the dishes."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine finished the dishes. He wiped his hands and went to the stables to check on the horses. A man stood in one of the stalls cursing so bad that Eadwine turned to make sure no one else had come out.
"You boy!" the man screeched, "Your a lousy excuse for a stable hand. You didn't give my horse three cups of oats! The girl always has three cups of oats for my horse! Didn't she tell you!"
Eadwine shook his head.
"Why that cheatin girl, what did she want to do, kill my poor horse!"
"Now sir don't offend the lady," Eadwine said.
"She's no lady, the slob!"
"She is not!" Eadwine shouted.
"Want to prove that boy?" the man asked slyly.
Eadwine smiled, he had run into men like this. They would draw him into a fight not knowing that he had been trained ever since he was seven, had lived in an eored since he was ten, and fought during the War.
"Sure I'll prove it," he said rolling up his sleeves.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym came out onto the porch, holding a pan that needed to be scraped. She looked up when she heard voices and saw Eadwine rolling up his sleeves, facing a rather red faced angry looking man. Sensing trouble, she quickly went down the steps, still holding the pan. "Eadwine?" she called. "What's the matter?" She stood a few feet from the pair, looking from one to the other. "What seems to be the problem, sir?" she addressed her question the the man. "The boy only gave my horse two cups of oats instead of three!" the man spluttered. "I distinctly told that worthless excuse for a serving girl to give my horse three cups of oats!" Nym could see Eadwine's face turning red from anger. He started at the man, shouting, "Mosaic is not worthless!" but Nym stepped between them. Although her own blood fairly boiled at the customer's rudeness, she replied calmly and evenly, "There will be no fights at this inn, thank you very much. Eadwine, go give the man's horse another cup of oats. Sir, I will take full responsibilty for refunding you if you are still not satisfied." The man glared at her. "I most certainly do want a refund!" he exclaimed angrily. Nym stared at the man, seething. However, she removed her pouch, with her meager earnings. "Will 15 coins be sufficient?" she asked quietly, struggling to contain her anger. The man nodded shortly. Nym handed over the money, and the man snatched it up. He drew himself up to his full height. He was quite a bit taller than Nym. "This is the last time I ever visit this inn!" he said, scowling at her. Nym stood her ground. "If you are done complaining now," she replied stiffly, "I have duties to attend to." She spun on her heel, and, still carrying her pan, walked to the compost pile, emptied the contents, and walked back inside. The man stood gaping after her. "Well I never!" he said. "What an impudent girl!" He scowled again, then marched off to the stables, calling, "Boy! Saddle my horse and bring him to me!"

Inside the inn, Nym walked back into the kitchen, red faced from her encounter with the horrible costumer. She took the pan to the tub of hot, suddsey water, and deliberately put plunged it into the water. She began scrubbing, trying to think what she would tell her parents when she got home. Fifteen coins! she thought. What was I thinking? Fifteen coins is half my earnings! But she realized giving the man the money had been the only way to distract him from getting into a fight with Eadwine. She had no doubt that Eadwine could have beaten the man black and blue, but she didn't want to risk Mosaic getting punished for his getting into a fight.

[Edited on 07/08/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
By the time Eadwine saddled the horse and reentered the inn his anger cooled. Now he felt regret for Nym had used most of her money. Silently he slipped into the kitchen.
"I'm sorry, I guess I forget that I'm not in the eored," he told her pressing coins into her hand.
She looked down, "but it was only fifeteen not twenty."
"I know," he replied, "but poor weak females still need to eat."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym thought about protesting, but somehow knew it would be useless. Instead she smiled shyly up at Eadwine. "Thanks," she said softly, placing the coins in her purse carefully. "My family will appreciate this very much." She grinned widely. "You looked fit to burst at the the way that man talked about Mosaic. I don't know that there would have been much of the man left by the time you were done with him if I hadn't intervened." She finished washing the pan, then dried it. She glanced around the kitchen to make sure Mosaic wasn't there. "We probably shouldn't mention that little...incident to Mosaic. It would upset her." Just then, Mosaic entered the kitchen. Nym winked at Eadwine, then turning to Mosaic said, "Anything else I can do?"

[Edited on 07/08/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Anything else I can do?" Nym asked.

"You can stack these," Mosaic said, handing the girl an armfull of plates, stacked precariously with cups. "Be careful not to drop them. I broke a plate in the sink once and Mother was furious." She turned to Eadwine and said, "Would you mind going around and..." she reached under a counter. "...replacing some of the candles that are melted down?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine took the candles and walked around placing them where they where needed. Mosaic's mother found him again and began drilling him again. He glanced helplessly at the kitchen.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Nym put the dishes on the counter.Mosaic refilled the basin and droppped in a bar of soap. The suds melted and filled the water with a rosy scent.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine slipped away from Mosaic's mother and into the kitchen.
"What else Mosaic?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
She dried her hands. "Eadwine," she said, "I need to go back to tending my tables. Can you bring food out when I call?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym went to the dining room, collecting dirty dishes. She brought her stack back to the kitchen and placed them in the sink, then began scrubbing. Eadwine was in and out of the kitchen to get the food. When she was through washing dishes, she went to find Mosaic. "I just washed some dishes," Nym informed her. "Is there something else I can do?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic was standing in front of a table that was counting out the least value coins possible in order to pay when Nym came up. "Is there something else I can do?" she asked.

"I do not think there is anything to do, now," Mosaic said, "But can you find Eadwine and ask him if he would consider sitting with the two of us after the kitchen closes?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Of course," Nym replied. She glanced around the room, but Eadwine was not there, so she walked outside to the stables. She found him, tending to another horse. "Eadwine," she said. "Mosaic was wondering if you would join the two of us for dinner after the kitchen closes for the evening?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The kitchen was busy up until the last minute that it closed. The other girls left quickly, leaving piles of precariously stacked dishes all over the room. Mosaic sighed and lugged them to the sink before going up to see Mother. She had to oknow that she was asleep, or at the least, occupied, before she began to speak to Nym and Eadwine.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym and Eadwine returned to the kitchen after he had finished tending the horses. Not seeing Mosaic around, Nym rolled up her sleeves and began washing dishes. She glanced over at Eadwine. "Will you dry, please?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mother was sleeping. Mosaic smiled to herself as she shut the door to her room. Now she could speak to her friends in peace.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine finished the horses and returned to the inn with Nym. She immediately plunged her hands into the dishwater.
"Will you dry, please?"
Eadwine picked up a towel and started on a plate. He glanced up as Mosaic descended the stairs. She smiled softly at him and he returned the smile.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email