Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
If you are referring to my fanfic about Fili & Kili surviving, you can find the first 2 chapters in AU under the name Two Dwarves & Three Ladies Fair; I will warn you it will be incredibly long (probably a good 15 chapters or more). I must admit I'm excited too!

Yes, Dain did feel more like comic relief to me as well. I personally don't find riding on a pig very majestic, but it did work quite well with his character somehow. I have to hand it to PJ for being creative! Of course, I am quite partial to Thranduil on his elk; now that is totally majestic!

I'd never even thought about the rings enhancing the power against Sauron; I'm glad someone could explain it a bit better! That was the one part in the movie I totally did not understand and could do without.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, those were only my thoughts on the matter, I'm not sure you could call it the official explanation, who knows what goes to PJ's mind in reality

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Huh, never thought of that.

I feel like Dain is, for lack of a better word, misunderstood. Like Merry and Pippin being portrayed as more foolish than they are in the books. I just love the pig :'( so sad it died.

The rams, though they came out of nowhere, I LOVE them!

Oh The Elk was awesome!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
kerno_baggins
Council Member
Send Message
I FINALLY SAW THE MOVIE TODAY! I am normally disappointed when i go see a film in dying to see, but i really enjoyed thus one. The big complaints i have are how insignificant the death of Smaug felt and that there was no burial or hint of a burial for the dwarves.

I really enjoyed Bard and his sequences. The actual shot at Smaug was awesome
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Hopefully more Smaug and proper burials will be added to the Extended Edition.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
All I'll say is it is not the worst of the three movies. A 3 into 1 director's edit could make a decent single 3 hour movie by stripping away the bloat.

Highlights: ... Dain and the 500 grim dwarves from the Iron Hills. Bard, the destruction of Laketown, and the ruined city of Dale.

A little thing that would have made a difference: Thorin outsmarting the orc and he dies in the frozen lake. The continuation of that whole scene was just huge PJ Hollywood waste. Sure, Thorin dies, but it could have been anything after that.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, I wanted Dain to kill Azog. Thorin could defeat another fifty or so Orcs before getting wounded somehow.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Sandethrin
Council Member
Send Message
I absolutely loved the movie (I loved the last two Hobbit movies too!) but I didn't particularly like how they portrayed Thranduil. I felt that he was much warmer in the books.
For example, in the book at the end of the battle when Bilbo gave Thranduil the necklace from Dain. That small part of the book to me was very important.
The movie just kind of seemed to take that warmth out of Thranduil. (though I will say the scene at the end of the movie when Tauriel was crying over Kili and Thranduil told her that their love was real was very sweet!)
Any thoughts on why they chose to portray him like that?
"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I really cannot figure that out! Perhaps PJ wanted Thranduil to seem more like an antagonist than the kindhearted elf he truly was. Ok, it's no secret I'm a huge fan of his & I love him even more in the books! Maybe PJ wanted to show how sometimes situations can change a person and make them better. My heart hurts for him because he lost his wife tragically (I would still like to know exactly what happened!) & I think he chooses to refrain from showing affection because that would mean more heartbreak for him.
Yes, that scene with Thranduil and Tauriel was my favorite! I really wish he'd hugged her though, a fatherly sort of thing.
And I agree that Bilbo giving him Girion's necklace was extremely important; I'm fairly certain they will show that in the EE, since Thorin talked a bit about it.
So I see him as a warmhearted person, er elf, who's afraid to love. This probably doesn't help you at all! (& you're welcome to comment in my Thranduil Fan! thread found in the casting forum!)
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
What I wonder is- when did Legolas become less anti- Dwarf? While he wasn't friends with Gimli yet, he had a much different attitude when he reached the Council of Elrond.
Sandethrin
Council Member
Send Message
That's a good way of looking at it! I'm sure PJ had his reasons and in this case it makes sense that he would try to show Thranduil in a different light! It just made me curious! I really appreciate Thranduil and I feel like the movies glazed over his character's depth(though I know they can only fit so much into a couple of hours!!) I'd love to drop by your Thranduil thread!

"I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf
Sandethrin
Council Member
Send Message
As far as what happened to Legolas becoming less anti-Dwarf I'm not sure, maybe he just had a change of heart??
Not a very good theory but I can't think of much else. I wonder if he respected dwarves more after Thorin died fighting? Or maybe (basing this theory purely off of what happened in the movie) he saw how Kili loved Tauriel and fought to save her and came to the conclusion that dwarves aren't so bad??
I'm not sure...
Sandethrin
Council Member
Send Message
oops sorry! I accidentally submitted blank post!

[Edited on 01/02/2015 by Sandethrin]
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, maybe. He and Thorin assisted eachother fights Orcs a few times. And he did give back Orcist. So maybe he at least respected their former king.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
MeliaStormcrow said:Yeah, I wanted Dain to kill Azog. Thorin could defeat another fifty or so Orcs before getting wounded somehow.

I think this would have been too much like Boromir's death. If I had the choice I think Bolg would have been better for Thorin.

I agree, I think Legolas started changing when fighting with Thorin.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor said:
MeliaStormcrow said:Yeah, I wanted Dain to kill Azog. Thorin could defeat another fifty or so Orcs before getting wounded somehow.

I think this would have been too much like Boromir's death. If I had the choice I think Bolg would have been better for Thorin.

I agree, I think Legolas started changing when fighting with Thorin.

I mean, Dain could have killed Azog in the flashback. Then Thorin would have had to fight and Bolg instead. He and Legolas still do that concurrent duel though.

[Edited on 01/03/2015 by MeliaStormcrow]
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Blasted double post.

[Edited on 01/03/2015 by MeliaStormcrow]
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, so without knowing much of what any one else said, here are my thoughts:

I thought it was better than the first two (which alone isn't saying much). The selection of steeds in the battle was laughable (I have pigs. You don't ride them. And if you did, they really wouldn't be overly useful in a battle.), and PJ used the CGI, to quote a friend "like a kid in a candy shop". The stunts...well, I've gotten used to not taking them seriously. They just made me laugh this time, with an occasional face palm.
My main complaints: 1. The anticlimactic death of Smaug. I was all hyped up about it, it happened, and then the title rolled by. Apparently they weren't even counting that as part of the movie. True, they probably couldn't have done it any other way, but I was disappointed. 2. The fact that Tauriel was alive at the end of the movie. This was mainly grounded in my deep dislike of Tauriel, however, so it's purely subjective. 3. They simply forgot about Fili. He died, Kili charges, and...no more. And my fangirl feels are not satisfied. 4. (and most important to me) The fact that Kili died defending Tauriel, and not Thorin. I shouldn't have expected them to stick to the book, but I really, really wanted Kili and Fili to die protecting their king as Tolkien wrote. I wanted them all to die together. *sobs*
However, it had many good qualities as well! I loved the portrayal of sick!Thorin, Elrond's short scene, and almost all the characters. Even my dislike for Tauriel and Legolas subsided to a certain extent, and I really didn't mind them as much. (The only character I continued to dislike completely was Thranduil. ) The death scenes were well done apart from their divergence from the book, and a little bit of cheese. I also liked that they made it more easy to sympathise with Bard, and his request for help from the dwarves...in the book, I had always felt like the people of Laketown really had very little claim on the gold. The merge into FotR was a little bit random at parts (Legolas: I cannot go back. Thranduil: Go seek the rangers and meet Aragorn (paraphrased, of course). Me: Wait...huh?) but at other parts it was very well done and enjoyable.
Over all, I liked the movie, and would give it another watch.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The part with elder Bilbo kinda makes sense, as this is the book he is writing. Not sure how old Aragorn was supposed to be in the time of the movies. If some stuff was changed in the first two movies, Smaug's defeat could have been longer, and in his movie.

liquidblue
Council Member
Send Message
okay, i just got back from seeing BotFA for the fourth time and i think i can gather myself enough to post my thoughts. (this might be kinda long, you might want to make some tea)

- it did feel like like killing Smaug was a bit rushed. i think they either should have taken care of that in DoS or they should have made it bigger/longer in BotFA. it just seemed like a weird way to open the movie and it seemed a bit disjointed from the rest of the plot.

- was there dialog and footage cut from Bard and Bain at the top of the bell tower? that scene also felt a bit disjointed to me.

- i could have done without Alfrid altogether. he came across as a cheap Wormtongue knock-off and honestly didn't contribute anything at all to the movie and/or plot.

- i actually loved the White Council at Dol Guldur. it made me happy to see the Three Rings coming together to help fight Sauron.

- i know some people either didn't like the bits between Galadriel and Gandalf or were confused by them, but i rather liked their dynamic. here's a bit of history for those who are confused or curious. Gandalf is not just a wizard, he's a Maia (Olorin is his Maia name) and he lived in Valinor before coming to Middle Earth. Galadriel was born in Valinor and grew up there. she knows that Gandalf is a Maia, and has likely known him all her life. i think they're a bit in awe of each other and very fond of each other. i don't think there was meant to be any romantic connotation there.

- i'm not thrilled with the way Radagast was portrayed (not Sylvester McCoy's fault). he never came across as a powerful wizard at all, more just a slightly gross, eccentric person.

- i did like the way they showed Thorin's descent into madness and how the others started distancing themselves from him a bit. it was very well done and very believable. Thorin remained a sympathetic character.

- i don't quite see what the point was in sending Legolas and Tauriel to Gundabad. it just seemed like a distraction from the plot and a waste of run-time. i know it gave Legolas a chance to tell Tauriel about his mother, but i feel like that could have been done differently.

- i did like that Thranduil gave Bard a chance to try to talk to Thorin. (although i'm always distracted because they used two different horses in the scene where Bard rides up to the gate to negotiate with Thorin and i can tell the difference between them)

- loved the Swag Stag and hated to see it die!

- i have mixed feelings about Dain. i liked him but at the same time i thought he was a bit too over-the-top (i thought Gimli was often over-the-top in LotR, too)

- i loved the shield wall and the elves launching themselves over it

- i also actually rather liked Thranduil deciding that enough was enough. it was a direct contrast to Thorin. Thorin said that the gold was worth all the blood they would spill, while Thranduil realized that too much elven blood had already been shed over some jewels.

- i wish more animals had shown up rather than just the eagles and Beorn. in the book it's all the various animals of Middle Earth. i'd love to have seen that!

- mixed feelings about Ravenhill. Fili's death seemed too inconsequential. it didn't have the emotional impact it should have. i didn't mind Tauriel being there, but i wish Kili had died either trying to defend his brother, or Thorin. it bothers me that his death became about Tauriel. i liked Thorin's death, though. i know it seemed a bit drawn-out, but somehow that feels appropriate.

- Legolas... was over-the-top. every single thing was unbelievable. of course in a fantasy movie you're expected to believe a few impossible things, but they just went too far with Legolas and it became distracting.

- i LOVED Bilbo being there for Thorin at the end. and Martin Freeman's acting there is just heartwrenching. i have cried every single time just out of empathy for Bilbo

- mixed feelings about Thranduil and Legolas, mostly because of Peter Jackson's math. it's already been pointed out that Aragorn was only 10 at the time of the BotFA, and was living in Rivendell. perhaps Thranduil should have sent Legolas there, instead. i didn't mind the "your mother loved you very much" bit. it made sense to me. Thranduil is very cold, and while we see that changing during the course of the movie, he's not going to do a complete 180 that quickly. Legolas said that Thranduil never talks of his wife, so it was a big thing just for him to mention her. and it seemed clear to me that there was an unspoken, "i love you, too" there that he just couldn't bring himself to say out loud. it clearly pained him to see Legolas leave.

- i also liked Thranduil's exchange with Tauriel. he's thawing a bit and he's feeling empathy for her. she clearly WAS willing to die for love, but in the end it was to object of her affection who died. Thranduil knows that feeling. i do believe that he'll take Tauriel back to Mirkwood with him and perhaps show her the affection he couldn't show Legolas.

- i know a lot of people have complained that we should have seen Fili, Kili, and Thorin's funeral, and we should have seen Thranduil naming Bilbo as elf-friend and various other things that needed to be wrapped up. but i remember back when Return of the King came out and people were complaining about there being too many endings. i think PJ was trying to avoid that this time and that's why we didn't see a lot of those loose ends being tied up.

- the last scene was perfect. for me, it was the only acceptable way for the movie to end and it's also made me cry every time.

whew. okay. sorry, i know that was long, but i did warn you!

[Edited on 01/03/2015 by liquidblue]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
No problem it was a well written post.

@ Melia ...sorry for the confusion I meant Thorin fighting a 50 orcs might have been to much like Boromir's death...recovery from madness...death from orc "mobbing".

Fili is pushed in the shadows

Now in the LOTR Aragorn age is 87 (right?) the Hobbit is approximately 60 years prior to LOTR. That would put him at 27 years old in the movies. I must search my timeline but I believe that Aragorn would have to be younger in the books.

Yes Liquid I cried most when Bilbo and Tauriel were crying...darn...:'(

The scenes I missed the most was Thranduil naming Bilbo Elf Friend and the buriel of Thorin...I don't mind Fili and Kili so much since their burials are not mentioned in the book.

The last scene was precious

Who loved Thranduil and Bilbo's first face to visible face meeting?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay...The LOTR doesn't show 17 years passing from Bilbo's disappearence...thus it is assumed in H3 that Aragorn is 27 (in the book he is 12)
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah I supposed it would have been too much like Boromir's death. Though, chronologically, Thorin died first. Glad he finally got revenge on Azog though (even if the Orc should have been killed Dain long ago.) It did bug me that Fili's death was so quick. One of them should have died defending their uncle! The love triangle was still not needed.

[Edited on 01/04/2015 by MeliaStormcrow]
liquidblue
Council Member
Send Message
the legolas/tauriel/kili thing didn't really bother me much, mostly because i never once believed legolas was in love with tauriel. it just... never came across that way to me. he seemed loyal to her, sure, but i never felt that he was actually in love with her. (i'm sure he was supposed to be, but...)
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
He didn't really show it, but the other Elves seemed to think so.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I didn't really care whether Legolas liked Tauriel or not...just the fact that Kili and Tauriel liked each other was enough to turn me off. *sigh*

The part that made me cry the most was actually Fili's death, not Thorin's, as I expected. The fact that he died so quickly, with hardly any warning and no fight broke my heart. But Bilbo's scene with Thorin was still superb.

I mainly wanted to see Thorin's funeral to see whether he was buried with the Arkenstone and Orcrist. Did they actually tell you in the movie what happened to the Arkenstone?? I only saw BotFA once, and tend to miss things in movies the first time through, so I'm hoping that's what happened here. That was a thread that desperately needed to be tied up.

[Edited on 01/04/2015 by OneSizeFitsAll]
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The Tauriel/ Kili thing bugged me because it distracted from the plot. Yeah, Fili had a sad death scene. It was so quick, and didn't really serve any purpose other than his brother going for revenge for a bit. Wondered what happened to the Arkenstone myself. It is somewhere in the Mountain, maybe? Really hope they have at least a funeral for Thorin in the extended edition.

[Edited on 01/04/2015 by MeliaStormcrow]
liquidblue
Council Member
Send Message
the love triangle didn't bother me because i never actually saw it as a love triangle. john howe had this to say about kili and tauriel, "the relationship between tauriel and kili is like one of those love stories where people think they are falling in love when, in fact, they are actually falling out of love with everything else around them, and the only sympathetic face is someone who they would never expect to choose in any other circumstance... so, it's a kind of 'almost-love-story' with the potential to be tragically moving". that makes a lot of sense to me, and i prefer to see their relationship that way.

what bothers me is not just something limited to peter jackson, it's a problem with films and tv (and books) in general. it seems that you can't have a "strong female character" without also having some sort of romance there, and it's getting tiring. why couldn't tauriel have just been a strong, independent elf who don't need no man (or dwarf)?
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I think there was no triangle. I believe that Legolas loved Tauriel as a protective brother would a sister. I do think that Kili and Tauriel were in love but had their relationship continued I think that it would have ended as just friends.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
It's no secret that I'm a hopeless romantic, so I found the love triangle interesting. I have to admit I was rather skeptical of Tauriel at first, finding her rather unnecessary. In Tolkien's day, women did not generally go to war and the males were the protectors, so I believe that's why he had only male characters, which I'm perfectly happy with. Yet I do think PJ incorporated Tauriel into the story quite well. Unfortunately for me, it made Kili's death even harder on me (although Fili still affects me the most!).
I really think Legolas thought he was in love with Tauriel but may not have been just because he was not mature enough to realize true love (not to mention that he had never witnessed true love with his mother being departed). Kili and Tauriel definitely fell in love so I believe that if he had lived they would have gotten married and lived their happily ever after (hence my fanfic about that). I also think that Legolas and Tauriel would have a second chance together after Legolas got to see more of the world and find his own way in life (and we know Kili couldn't live forever, so he'd pass on eventually). But I probably think this just because I'm a hopeless romantic!
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The Tauriel/ Kili 'romance' got more screen time then the Eowyn/ Faramir one. The latter actually happened in the book, even.

New topic- So, who do you think puts Orcist on Thorin's tomb? In the book one of the Elves did. For the films, I think maybe Legolas.
Gildor Inglorion
Council Member
Send Message
So I found myself not caring when Fili died since the only dwarves whose characters were developed were Thorin and Kili.
Btw Aragorn would be ten during the Hobbit, don't forget the seventeen year time skip in FoTR (the book).
Many cool scenes, but lots of neat shots from the trailer were left out (dwarf ram charge, elves firing arrows, dwarf ballista)
Um earth eater worms...?
Gundabad is not a day or two's ride from Erebor, it's at least a couple hundred leagues.
No good reason for orcs to attack Erebor other than Azog (who should not be alive in these movies-he died during Azanulbizar) wanting to kill Thorin (seriously, it's position?)
The whole "black arrow" storyline bothered me, the idea of the black arrow is that a simple brave man like Bard used a regular old arrow (that happened to be black) to slay Smaug, making him truly heroic and skillful (or at least more so than in the movie)
And wow Tauriel didn't die (I guess that would have been too many deaths of developed characters in one movie)
The score was great as usual (Howard Shore can never do wrong)
The death scenes were all tragic and heartfelt (minus Fili for me), but it was so much brutal death at once it was sort of too much to take in a once
The very end was a nice tie-in to FoTR
However Thranduil telling Legolas to look for Aragorn was just stupid (yes PJ we know that the Hobbit comes before LOTR and has Legolas in it we don't need this) oh yeah and Aragorn is ten at this point so Thranduil would not even know who he was (I know I sad that already sorry)
Even though it seems like I hated it, I did enjoy BOTFA overall as a sequel to the other two Hobbit movies, but as Tolkien purist I had a lot of issues with it
I am really excited for the extended edition

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
@ Gildor- FOTR didnt or didn't seem to pass the 17 years from Bilbo's party to Frodo leaving the Shire. Thus in the Hobbit Aragorn would have been around 27 years old. Remember that the movies follow a different timeline at times.

Yeah! I missed those scenes too!

Erebor is a strong foothold in the East. It as well as Dol Gulder could be used to assail Mirkwood or the Iron Hills. However Gundabad didn't make sense.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The forged black arrow maybe worked better visually? Smaug seemed bigger in the films. Legolas had to meet and befriend Aragorn at some before Fellowship, but using that line as another tie-in was silly. How is the Ironhills from Erebor? It seemed Dain showed up rather quickly, even if a few days had passed. Fili didn't really seem to be in enough scenes for my liking. He is the heir after all. I also really liked him from the book, and the actor.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
liquidblue said:- i'm not thrilled with the way Radagast was portrayed (not Sylvester McCoy's fault). he never came across as a powerful wizard at all, more just a slightly gross, eccentric person.

I can only comment on Radagast in the first two movies, not having seen BoFA yet. But there are two scenes in AuJ that show him as more than a (overdone by PJ as he does not seem to have the light touch for comedy) comic-relief character:
When he replies to Gandalf's comment "These are Gundabad Wargs ..." with a sort of "make-my-day" facial expression "These are Rhosgobel Rabbits. I'd like to see them try.", just knowing those "pooches" ain't got a chance.
And when Radagast meets Gandalf and company, we are shown the flashback of Radagast exploring the outskirts of Dol Guldur, and one of the Ring-Wraiths appears behind him, trying to stab him with a Morgul knife. With a swift Lacrosse-type movement of his staff, he whiplashes the Ring-Wraith out of sight. The RW does not come back for seconds, Radagast flees because he senses the much more dire evil residing in Dol Guldur without knowing exactly what it is: Sauron re-forming.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email