Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ghosts?
on: March 03, 2003 04:38
Talk about ghosts! Gawd... I do not know whether I've experienced one, but this is my story.

I was in my former house, sleeping with my other siblings in the same room. It was around 12 midnight, and I know that there are visitors coming, cause they called our house at 10, before I went to bed. So, I was dreaming about this old lady sitting in her rocking chair, being lifted up into the air, and my dream totally cut off. I was concious or so called sub-concious at that time, cause I can see the stuff that's around me (eg. my sister's hand, my bolster, the desk beside my bed, and so on...) But the thing is, I can't move. I felt so pinned down, and I can't even scream. Then there are these so called angelic voices surrounding me, and i felt myself being lifted up into the air. I was like trying to regain myself, trying to move myself, I can't. I tried to scream at the top of my lungs, but I just can't. After for quite some time, I was being let down to the bed, and the angelic voices ceased. And from there, I can move myself. I jerked my hand, and bolted out of my bed, ran down the stairs (i live in a mansionette), to the kitchen, where my mom was making tea for the guests. I was so frightened, I didn't realised I was so sweaty, till my mom pointed out. I was afraid to go back to sleep again, but I did. And nothing like that happened again. I do not know whether it's the angel or the devil or just some spirits, cause I'm a pious Muslim and do believe in God. Yet these questions that has been pondering in my head for the past years remained unanswered.

It was a spooky experience, yet after I thought about it, it's more like, I've came into contact with the unknown, which was cool. I was hoping if i could experience it again.
morgana03
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 05:40
Cool question. I believe in ghosts and have since I was little though I wasn't sure then. Back then it was just feelings like you know someone else is close or watching you or this creepy feeling that you shouldn't be somewhere.

My grandparents house is haunted(can't get them to believe it though). I've seen at least 3 very firm spirits over there and 1 I hope never to see again. Scared the living spit out of me. I was checking the house one afternoon while they were away and was in the kitchen when(don't any of you laugh cause this happened)this old fashion wooden toy duck rolled across the floor. I'm thinking I've lost it when I see a little girl standing in what had been a doorway before a remodel changed it. Now, the little girl I didn't mind cause I knew who she was. My grandmother's sister who had died as a child but it was the man behind her that scared me. He was one mean looking dude. That did it for me. I left what I had to do, left the door unlocked and took off. Told my mother if she wanted to lock up she could go back. Places in that house just leave you cold and others you feel like the life is getting sucked out of you. I rarely go over there now.
ChildofIlluvatar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 06:21
No such a thing as a "ghost."

The stuff that everyone has been describing are demon spirits of Hell that are trying to scare people.

Demons are real, and they definitely are not your friends.

Demons thrive off of fear and torment.

The Name of Jesus puts demons in their place, literally.

You don't have to live in fear anymore.

"Pefect LOVE (GOD, Himself) casts out fear, for fear involves torment" according to 1st John chapter 4.

"GOD has NOT given to us a spirit of fear, BUT a (Holy) Spirit of Power, Love, and a SOUND-MIND" according to 1st Timothy 1:7

"There is therefore NOW (right now) NO CONDEMNATION (NO TORMENT) to them that are in Christ Jesus (Jesus, and His Power)" according to Romans 8:1.

"Fear NOT, for I AM with you. Don't be shaked up, for I AM your GOD. I WILL help you, strengthen you, and uphold you by My Victorious Right-Hand of My Righteousness" according to Isaiah 41:10

"Even though I walk THROUGH the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear NO evil, for You are with me" according to Psalm 23:4

"Submit yourself therefore unto GOD, (THEN AND ONLY THEN) resist the devil and he will flee from you" according to James 4:7

"May The LORD rebuke you satan" according to Jude 1:9 and Zechariah chapter 3.

"10,000 might fall by your side, and 1,000's around you, but the evil WILL NOT TOUCH YOU" according to Psalm 91:7

"I WILL be with you in trouble" according to Psalm 91:15

"They overcame him (the devil) by the Blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony (of what the Blood of the Lamb has done for them)" according Revelation 12:11
hope
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2003 09:15
No such a thing as a "ghost."

The stuff that everyone has been describing are demon spirits of Hell that are trying to scare people.

Demons are real, and they definitely are not your friends.

Demons thrive off of fear and torment.

The Name of Jesus puts demons in their place, literally.

I just wanted to add to what ChildofIlluvatar said. I completely agree with what he said. There are no ghosts... but there are demons that are very real and what people attribute to ghosts is really the work of demons.
But we do not have to fear them.
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be agle to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."~Ephesians 6:11-13
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present not the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."~Roman 8:38-39
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 02:41
Okay, this is getting a bit off topic here. I don't mind people voicing opinions, but this is not a religious forum. Enough to say you don't believe in ghosts. You may talk about your beliefs in the Christian roll call thread, but please refrain from long posts containing large quantities of the Biblical quotes. The server gets overwhelmed and we have plenty of threads that give everyone a chance to speak their mind, within reason. Not all of us are Christians and we want to remain open minded here. Thank you.
Emerita
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 04:42
Three little Words for Hope and childof..........Father, Son and THE HOLY GHOST. I agree with BelleBayard and this thread is for fun and not religious debate, but you need to get it straight before you start chaistising others.

larlachien, I just now read your post and it was intresting as to why anyone would paint the belltower red. Did you ever check on it later? have you gone back up there since? Might make an intresting trek, being five years older....

Alaghelediel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 08:29
Note to self: Don't read these stories in the middle of the night! LOL Don't feel bad Orca, I was wimping out too (read them last night). x_X

Though I've never really had any ghost experiences, I do believe in spirits. Not through any experiences, of course, but I don't know, I just do. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm always being watched by the spirit of a deceased one, like my grandmother.

Ooh ooh, I just thought of something. A few weeks ago we had a nice sized snowstorm, and after it had stopped for a few days, I went outside to help shovel the snow out of the driveway with my mom. I was shoveling some of the snow on our sidewalk and I heard a cat's meow. I turned and looked around, thinking it was a neighbor's cat (who's really cute), but I saw nothing. I went back to shoveling and a few moments later I heard it again, but it sounded a little closer, like it should have been a foot or two behind me. Again, I turned and found nothing, anywhere (and mind you the roads and most sidewalks had already been shoveled out, so any white cat would have been seen if it was on the road/sidewalks). I started to think it was a friend down the street playing a prank on me (she comes over to my house without letting me know often). I looked down the street where she would have been coming from and saw only some man shoveling a sidewalk far down. I heard it a third time, but I never saw it. There were no more meows after that. I've never seen a (full) white cat in my neighborhood - only a white cat with black and brown patches. That's the only one that I know of. Everyone else has a dog. lol

The only cat's I've known (dead) are two cats a friend of mine had - a grey stripped cat that was hit by a car, and a fat yellow cat that died of a tumor (miss that one ), and that was in another neighborhood (we lived next to each other). So I'm not really sure what that was, unless there was a cat the previous owner of our has had one that died. I KNOW it was a cat's meow, though. Trust me. >.<

Other than that weird little experience, the only things I have to add are that I hear creaks as if someone was sneaking around my house. Once they were so loud I thought it was a burgarlar (well, not LOUD, but distinct enough to sound like someone was sneaking about). I was up on the Internet (of course, it was a weekend), and it was around probably 1 AM or so, so I heard it. I froze and listened. It continued, but then I thought maybe it wasn't a burgarlar, because a burgarlar wouldn't go into a house if there was a room light on (and my room is in the front of the house). But after I settled down a bit and worked up a bit of courage, I left my room to check the living room/front door entryway and make sure. Nothing was there (and yes I could see; there's a large fishtank in there with a light). I was relieved, but I don't know what it was. It was odd, because this is a fairly new house (built in 1995, I think), and it wasn't even windy outside or anything. *shrug* I still hear it at night, but not so obvious (and it doesn't much sound like footsteps).

Can't think of anyhing else. And whether you want to believe these stories or not is up to you, but you'd think otherwise if they happened to you. =P

[Edited on 30/3/2003 by Alaghelediel]
hope
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 08:34
Three little Words for Hope and childof..........Father, Son and THE HOLY GHOST. I agree with BelleBayard and this thread is for fun and not religious debate, but you need to get it straight before you start chaistising others.

I know that some translations of the Bible refer to the Holy Spirit as the Holy Ghost but it is not a ghost in the sense that most people think of ghosts. Most people think of ghosts as dead peoples spirits... but that is not what the Holy Ghost is, which is why I prefer the name Holy Spirit.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a religious debate either... I just wanted to post what I believe and Scripture that backs it up. I did not intend offend anyone and if I did i'm truly sorry... I was just stating what I believe on the topic of ghosts.
Squee
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 03:51
Ahem..

One time, when I was about 10 years old, my naughty sisters and their friends and boyfriends broke into this abandoned mental hospital. It's in Foxborough, Massachusetts. It's been closed up since the 70's, I believe. Unfortunately, they took me with them. We didn't really break in. We went in threw the sewers. It was gross.. water up to my thighs! Anyway, we got in, and it was really very interesting. When they released the mental patients in the '70s, it was sudden and really sort of messily done. Someone had taken them to court because they didn't like that the mental patients didn't have rights, or something. So, without calling family members or anything, they were all just set on the streets of Foxborough one day. I don't know if anyone's ever seen the movie.. I think it's called... House on Haunted Hill, but that is remotely based on what they were doing to the patients in the '30s in Foxborough. They were cut and abused. "What can drive a sane man mad will drive a mad man sane" they thought.

I will take this space to apologize for the lack of paragraphs and organization.

When we went in, there were still beds and patient files, which were very interesting to read, but some of them were colder than others, very very cold, and when I touched them, it just felt like someone was watching me or following. Every now and then we'd see human shaped figures frantically running around, but not one single time did we hear the sound of trampling feet or creaking floor boards. We got out of there in less than ten minutes, five of them wasted trying to find where we had entered. I admit, I found it very frightening, and probably still would if I went back in today, but I don't think I will.

Well, there are still mental patients in Foxborough that were released in the 70s. They're pretty harmless, though. It's cool.
Veaglarwen
Tech Admin & Co-Themer
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 07:58
now that was a good story!
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2003 05:51
I know once at my old house i had woke up in the middle of the night (which is very rare of me to do that) and i looked up and saw the guy standing in the archway to my kitchen. He had res eyes and stared at me. So i closed my eyes and went to sleep the next night he was there again but with a green light in his hands. I was really freaked out.

Another story is my mum and dads room is by the bathroom and once in a blue moon i get up in the middle of the night and go to the bathroom. Well my mums cat was at the end of her bed asleep and she woke up to the sound of foot steps to the bathroom. My mum woke up and sat up and listend because of the meds that she has to take requires her to go to the bathroom at the middle of the night. So she herd the steps go into the bathroom and stop. and the light didnt go on or anything. So in the morning my mum asked me if i went to the bathroom and i said no she said that it sounded just like me same light step and everything. It was freaked :-O
Nazgulsbane
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 09:42
well, first off, I am a Christian, so I hope my answer doesn't offend anyone. I do not believe in the "lingering spirits of people who have died." I do believe in the Holy Spirit, it is part of the Holy Trinity. The trinity is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. They are one. It's hard to imagine, but I think of it as an egg, there are three different parts, the yolk, the white, and the shell, and yet they all form one egg. Anyway, I believe in Satan, and Satan has "little sidekicks" called demons. These demons sometimes posses people, making them go crazy and vicious, other times, demons go and do things to people. Like do things people would consider the acts of ghosts. But as for people's spirits dwelling on earth, there is no such thing. When someone dies, they either go to Heaven, a place filled with laughter and joy, and angels and song, or Hell, the place where worms continue to eat your bodies forever, and the whole place is filled with fire and terror. You can't stop yourself from dying, but you can keep yourself from getting into Hell. There is only one way into Heaven, that is through Jesus Christ. You must ask forgiveness for the sins you've done (yes, all of us are sinners, even me) and ask him to come into your heart. Salvation is a gift that Jesus will give you, if you ask him for it. It's your choice, choose wisely. Where do you think you'll go when you die?
Steorra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 11:33
I believe, but somehow I don't find the term 'ghost' appropriate. It just reminds me too much of Casper and all those cute little Halloween ghosts. But I know what you mean.

I actually haven't had too many experiences (to my dismay--I'm quite fascinated by the paranormal), but I have a couple.

Once when I was...oh, ten or eleven, it was 11: 50 pm or so and my mom was getting ready for bed (I was already fast asleep). So, we have this little music box shaped like a hot-air balloon hanging from our chandelier that plays "Over the Rainbow", right? Well, my mom was brushing her teeth, and suddenly the music box started playing! The windows were closed, there was no breeze, nothing at all could have moved it.

Another one that happened to my mom (grr! Why doesn't anything happen to ME?) woke up in the middle of the night and she looked in the doorway of her room and she thought she saw a figure standing there that felt very malevolent. She was super-scared. She hasn't seen it since. She didn't tell me about that one right away...about a year later, I think.

Soooo...yeah. Nothing that's happened to me PERSONALLY, but once or twice something has happened around my house. Actually...wait, something did happen once.

I was sleeping and then suddenly I woke up. It was either really early in the morning or late at night (it was still dark out and my mom was in the bathroom) and I was about half awake when I thought I heard a deep voice say, "Wet with Pet" in my ear. I know, it sounds a bit like something out of Dr. Suess, but I swear that's what happened. I doubt that was something paranormal, but it WAS weird.

Ah! Now I'm inspired to write a story about paranormal experiences! Thanks, all!

Aniron_Valandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 10:48
ghosts-in the traditional sense, ie: lingering dead people----no

demons----yes, they are tricksy deceitful critters, they might even manifest to look like your dearly departed granny or favorite doggy fido.

JMO
Sony
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 06:00
good call Nazgulbane! with ya all the way there.

purevenus, there are certain stages of sleep that can sometimes get a little bit screwed up. that's what happens when you're sleep walking, your body is "awake" and your mind is not. what happened to you sounds like it may be the exact opposite of that. many people have talked about having dreams or watching things and being completely unable to move. it's because your body hasn't woken up. I think that's probably what caused your experience, but I'd have to do some double checking.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I do like a good ghost story every now and then. I've actually invented a few that were pretty good
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 03, 2003 02:13
woah, this thread has really freaked me out. i don't/ didn't believe in ghosts and i'm an aethiest so i don't believe in demons or angels either but some of your stories sound so genuine and so like they couldn't of been your imagination or anything that i'm inclined to start believing! Anyway this is the reason i don't believe in ghosts:

about 5 years ago when i was at primary school there was a rumour that a cupboard at the entrance to the girl's toilets was haunted. it was the sort of place you can imagine a ghost would like to hang out, dark creepy and full of spiders. anyway everyone was afraid to use the girl's toilets because of the ghost and some "strange" things did happen like taps supposedly turning themselves on and the lights flickering. it was always cold in the toilets but i put that down to bad heating and lack of school funds rather than a malevolent presence.

anyway one of my friends has twin sisters who were in primary two when this happened. it was lunch time and the twins had gone missing. no one knew where they were or what had happened to them. eventually the news got out that they had last been seen at the girls toilet. a huge crowd gathered at the entrance. everyone was sure that the ghost had got the twins and no one would ever see them again. eventually the bell rang. we all went outside to find the twins and my friend ( who no one had noticed was missing as he's a guy so he couldn't have disapeared in the toilets) who had gone home for lunch. there had been nothing at all mysterious about their disapearance. after that i refuse to believe in ghosts untill i see one for fear of looking like a fool.

having written a huge essay on my beliefs i've probably jinxed myself and will have a ghostly vistor tonight! anyway sorry for going on for so long and sorry if i have offended anyone!

eloise
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 10:09
Folks, if Christians believe in Angels which are indeed spirits, why not ghosts? A ghost is a spirit of a dead person after all. And I don't really think demons are responsible for this. Ghosts are usually folks that were never able to rest in peace, are waiting or protecting something (my case), or just want to have a little fun.
I'm Christian too, but there isn't anything saying that I can't be open to other possibilities so why not? It's very cool to talk about!

Alright I'll stop preaching.
Ghosts? Yea! They exist. I have them in my neighborhood. Some of you may've heard about this. My whole area was once a major Native American settlement. About twenty minutes away from my house is Indian Echo Cavern. That place was the exact settlement for the Susquehannocks and if you go a little south, you'll run into City Island. Native American artifacts were found there.
My old elementry school is standing on what was once a hunting ground.
With all this in the area, you can imagine what the atmosphere's like.
One time I was in the basement reading. A few minutes later, I heard the sound of drums. It wasn't my brother or anyone else because I was home alone. The beatings got louder and louder (bells could also be heard) and I really got freaked out. I didn't go back there for hours!
Also, a friend of mine says that sometimes, she'd see a white wolf wandering around the woods near her house. Many others saw it too. Since there aren't any wolves in PA, it couldn't have been anything normal.
Orbs, yeah I have them too. But what's really interesting about the orbs I see is, they're shaped like an eagle! With outspread wings! Sometimes, I can see a very faint silvery outline of someone standing right behind it.
Freaked out? Yea, but I've gotten used to it. Natives are good people, there's no reason to be afraid of them as long as you're respectful.
I think these spirits still continue to look over and protect their land even though so much time has passed.
Angels are real by the way. I saw one!:love:
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 10:31
I have always believed in ghosts. Always. Because my Mum has this preternatural ability to sense things - she's seen at least half a dozen ghosts, and once she even predicted that my Nana (my Mum's Mum) was going to have a car accident ... she had just set off when my Mum got this horrible feeling and ran after the car, but my Nana didn't stop. The car did crash about half a mile down the road, turned on its roof. My Nana was fine, but it's still all rather freaky...

Anyway, about three years ago myself, my Mum and little sister went to see my Nana and Grandpa in their house in France. This house was huge, over three hundred years old and attached to an equally old chateau. I say it now: I have a problem with big old houses - when I stay in one it takes me about two days to properly settle in at night. We stayed with my Nana and Grandpa for a fortnight, and I did not once go to bed and feel 100% comfortable.

My actual 'ghostly experience' occured about five times during the stay ... I'd be lying in bed, facing the wall (the room was really long, and I chose to sleep in the end bed closest to the wall because I'm a bit of a whoos and didn't want to face the length of the room, as I had a 'feeling' about it) and I became siezed by the most unbelievable terror that I've EVER had in my entire life. I was sweating, trembling, the whole lot - but I never saw anything. I just sensed it.

Last year, I talked to my Mum about it when we were alone in the car, just saying: "There was something in Nana and Grandpa's house, wasn't there?" to which she replied: "Yes, there was." That confirmed to me that it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.

So there you go!

Lindir
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 07:55
I myself do not believe in ghosts as such. On the other hand, I'm not entirely closed to the possibility that they might be an outgrowth of psychic phenomena. (What's that? A Christian who believes in psychic phenomena that's not witchcraft or of the devil? They do exist! PM me to ask about it sometime...) I've seen and heard too much to think there's not *something* going on. I just think maybe it's not quite what a lot of people think it is. I may be on the wrong tack, of course.

(Extremely quick note on the Christian spirit perspective:
As I understand it, the traditional Judeochristian view sees people like three-ringed onions. The innermost is the spirit, in the King James translated as Ghost. It's what died after the Fall of humanity. The middle is the soul, subdivided into mind and heart (reflected in what you think and what you do, respectively). The outside is the body. I don't think what's being called "ghost" and "spirit" in this thread is quite the same as the model I've just stated. Just for reflection.)
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 04:15
To quote the Cowardly Lion, "I DO believe in spooks, I DO believe in spooks."

My experiences haven't been bad. I've really had only one "up close and personal" one. I was sleeping and dreaming about my late mother-in-law. She was sitting in a chair in my living room when I came in and took her hand. I leaned over and asked her how she was doing. ( I knew in the dream she had passed away. She died earlier that year of cancer. I just wanted to be sure that she was okay.) She leaned over and whispered in my ear...now this is the "tingly" part. I [/u]felt[u] her presence right next to my ear. You know, like you feel someone close to you but don't see them? She whispered (and I heard her voice as clearly as she was in the same room. No whispers, just talking low.) She said, "Don't worry about me, I'm doing JUST fine." Then I "woke" up. I had goose bumps the rest of the day.

My niece and nephew-in-law were living with my mom for awhile last year with their daughter. My nephew-in-law was in getting his daughter Maggie up from her nap when she looked over behind the door and said "Hi". Mike looked over and there was the white outline of an old man. Mike said, "I see you." and the shape disappeared. Mike also saw the spirit several other times in other places around the house.

When we were discussing just who it could be, we came to the conclusion that it was my dad. He passed away about 12 years ago, long before Mike met him. We decided that Dad was there looking after Mom who wasn't in the best of health at the time (my dad was a doctor) and to see his first great-grandchild. Now, my mom was listening to all of this, and didn't say a word. She's a scientist and usually debunks things like that. I personally think she'd seen him and didn't want to say anything thinking we'd think she was nuts.

Those are the closest things to ghosts I've come into contact with besides some weird plants moving that should have but did, things shaking in the apartment that shouldn't be moving. I'm a Christian too, but I think there's a whole lot in this old world that we have no clue about. Ghost/spirits being just one of them.
RachieAchie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 12:51
Angels are real by the way. I saw one!:love:

Wow, really! :love: Tell me about it! If it's getting off the topic could you PM me? I'd really like to hear about it!

Anyway, back on topic...

I personally don't believe in ghosts, simply because I think if I did believe in them I would hide under my bedcovers for the rest of my life! (I'm a bit of a scaredy-cat... meow.) But I have a couple of stories to tell anyway...

1) My friend Jemma believes in ghosts and she believes she has one in her house called Nellie... Don't ask me why it's called Nellie of all things... anyway, wierd stuff keeps happening in her house. You'll just be sitting downstairs and you'll hear this BANG, and then you go up to the bathroom and there's stuff knocked off the bath & sink (like toothbrushes, soap etc.). It's quite freaky... And if you put a candle on a certain stair it always blows out... but I'm inclined to think that has soething more to do with air currents than "Nellie"...

2) My Grandma keeps getting random puddles of water appearing in the middle of her floors. They haven't leaked from anywhere, and she lives in a bungalow so it's not coming from above... who knows?

3) Some friends of mine used to live in a house together and as soon as they moved in wierd stuff started happening... pots and pans and random kitchen things started flying around, and other stuff of a suspicious nature. Anyway, they'd just bought the house but they were too scared to stay there. So, being Christians, they came to Church and asked some of my friends to see if they could sort it out... So they went to the house and they went up to the attic. There' a little cupboard sort of thing in the attic which the owners of the house hadn't opened. They felt the spirit/demon/ghost/whatever thing was inside, so they sat outside the cupboard and prayed. Then they opened the doors and something invisible flew past them, knocking them over. Then nothing else bad happened in their house! Yay! I personally believe it was an evil... something that was driven out by prayer... but that's just me.

P.s. I saw this programme once that said that electrical currents in the air can actually be strong enough to lift things up and throw them around... which is a theory I often use to convince myself ghosts aren't real! **gulp** I'm shaking now...

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by RachieAchie]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 10:48
Don't know if I've mentioned this before but there is a wonderful series of books about ghosts in my homestate by L.B. Taylor--The Ghosts of Williamsburg and my personal favorite The Ghosts of Richmond are filled with interesting and spooky stories--some about places just a stone's throw from my house. We're really into ghosts here in Virginia. The author also throws in quite a bit of interesting history, and these hauntings have been well documented (whether they be true or not, I do not know )....there's not many old houses down here without a tragic tale (or more).
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 04:07
2) My Grandma keeps getting random puddles of water appearing in the middle of her floors. They haven't leaked from anywhere, and she lives in a bungalow so it's not coming from above... who knows?

O.o Omg! That same thing's happening over here too! :dizzy:

What's that? A Christian who believes in psychic phenomena that's not witchcraft or of the devil?

What's this? Going against an open mind? Folks say to keep an open mind. There's nothing wrong with you not believing in it, but you should at least leave some room in thinking that there may be a possibility. And like someone said, this ain't really the place for discussin' religion.
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 04:45
There's nothing wrong with you not believing in it...
That's the *exact opposite* of what I said, and...
And like someone said, this ain't really the place for discussin' religion.
that's why I said PM me about it.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 12:17
That's the *exact opposite* of what I said, and...

Well than I apoligize for that.:blush:
Celeb_ithil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 03:29
This is an interesting topic. Nice discussion here. I don't really have a religion, but I'm open to all sorts of supernatural things. (Un)-fortunately, I did not have any ghostly encounter. I read an interesting theory about the existence of "ghost". More of a "scientific explanation".
We all know about radio signals. The signals are there all the time. All we have to do is to tune in to the right frequency and we can reveceive the program. The same theory applies to "ghost". All humans (may be animals also) have brain waves, or a set of energy where memory is stored. It's not physical, so you can't find "memory" when you disect a dead body. Some people suggest that memory is a set of brain wave that floats around. Since there are so many people in this world, one or two of us may have the same/similar wave frequency. When you are at the right place and right time, you may receice a set of brain wave that matches yours, and got to know that "memory". That explains why some people can "see dead people", and why certain people claimed that the know about their "former lives".
I cannot say I believe in this theory, but I do like scientific explanations like such. Any thoughts?
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 04:00
I do believe in ghosts, I do, I do, I do
I do believe in ghosts, I do, I do, I do......

I do believe that spirits walk the earth. I don't think I have personally seen a spirit, however I have walked through a hallway and felt a cold spot where there should be warmth, or walked in a room and smelled the sweet bouquet of flowers and there not be an explenation for it.

It may hve been my grandfather who came to visit me when I was about 16, just after he passed. My mother said she saw him enter my room, but, I did not see him however I did feel a presence in my room.

Topaz Dragon

Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 10:50
I have always been fascinated by ghost stories. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. I don't know why. It's the mysteriousness of it I guess. Anyway, even though I find the idea of ghosts fascinating, I think that what people may think is a spirit could be just energy left behind. Just a thought.
lhaewiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 01:24
You know Celeb_ithil, I´ve heard that before, but not completly. I had heard that ghosts were like magnetic impulses or something like that. It´s a nice explanation for those who don´t believe in ghosts, but I do, specially since I believe in reecarnation, too. I´ve read some books about that and I´m totally convinced about reecarnation. I want to get a past life regression someday...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 02:18
interestingly there is some evidence that "ghosts" are actually to do with electromagnetic waves and atmospheric changes.

this article is from "New scientist" i cant link direct to it because you need to be a subscriber. ((PP mods please dont kill me for such a long post! :blush: )

Little house of horrors

New Scientist vol 179 issue 2405 - 26 July 2003, page 30

It's got spectres up the chimney and spooks behind the walls. Even a crate of Scooby snacks won't tempt Andy Coghlan through the front door

DO YOU FANCY owning a "haunted" house where you could scare your guests witless at the flick of a switch, just like the baddies in Scooby Doo? Press one button and there's a distinct chill in the bedroom. Press another and weird vibrations set hairs on end in the study. And over by the fireplace in the dimly lit living room, amid the flickering shadows, you catch fleeting images out of the corner of your eye. Was it a child, an old hag, or...just the light playing tricks?

We're not talking cheap, fairground japes here - naff plastic skeletons and headless ghouls popping out as you pass in the ghost train. We're talking raw fear, about making people feel uneasy to the point of terror. But all in the name of science, promises Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire, UK, the psychologist who wants to build the world's first "haunted" house.

Wiseman dreams of being able to terrify visitors with spooky goings-on that he's designed himself. By controlling where and when these effects appear, he hopes to find out much more about how and why we have creepy experiences. "We want to build our own haunted house, so we're totally in control," says Wiseman. "It would give really important scientific results, produce a huge amount of publicity, and go down in history."

For the record, Wiseman doesn't believe in ghosts. But he is sure that the sensations felt by people who have ghostly encounters - fear, oppression and even nausea - result from a heady blend of psychology, hard-wired fear of dangerous situations and weird environmental effects such as subtle air movements. Combine these with preconceptions about ghosts soaked up from all those Hollywood horrors, and beliefs about the supernatural, and you have a potent mix that can unleash the weirdest feelings.

Earlier this year, Wiseman and his team produced peer-reviewed scientific evidence to back their hunch, published in the British Journal of Psychology (vol 94, p 195). They recorded the experiences of hundreds of volunteers visiting two of the UK's most "haunted" spots. One was Hampton Court, the palace near London reputedly haunted by the screaming ghost of Catherine Howard, Henry VIII's fifth wife. The other was the South Bridge Vaults, a labyrinth of claustrophobic chambers and creepy corridors beneath a Victorian bridge in Edinburgh.

Beforehand, Wiseman's team surveyed the two sites, recording environmental phenomena such as air temperatures and currents, magnetic fields and lighting levels. Then they asked visitors to report exactly where they felt or saw anything strange. To their astonishment, they found that people's most spooky experiences were often in the precise spots reputed to be haunted. And these same spots were often those with subtle but unusual draughts, air currents, temperature variations or even small fluctuations in the background electromagnetic fields. This provided Wiseman with a more earthly explanation for what some folk feel. "We showed people had odd experiences in the same places, and now we know they're based on environmental factors," says Wiseman. He also found that it didn't matter whether volunteers knew beforehand where the most haunted spots were located, disproving the idea that the experiences relied solely on prior knowledge.

Wiseman now thinks he can find out more through experiments in which he dictates where and when people are exposed to subtle environmental effects, and in which he has the power to prime people psychologically before they visit a site. "The only way you know if something is causal is if you control the signal," he says. "Hence the idea of creating some sort of haunted house."

In the perfect haunted house he would have control over lighting effects, the shapes and sizes of rooms and the features within rooms. And as spookmaster general, he could play with more subtle effects at will, introducing slight changes in temperature, alterations in local electromagnetic fields, perhaps wisps of a draught here and there, plus the bizarre effects of "infrasound" - low-frequency rumblings just below the limit of human hearing (New Scientist, 21 December 2002, p 50). And he'd also be able to tell volunteers beforehand whatever he wants: which spots may be haunted, the nature of any ghosts, and so on. In other words, total control.

Don't expect blood-curdling Hollywood effects. "It's the subtle things that count," says Wiseman. "Less is more." When he staged fake seances, for example, he discovered that people found things less believable as the effects became more obvious. What counts most, he says, is context. We experience all kinds of subtle changes to our environment in everyday life. But our sensitivity to them increases in surroundings where we feel on edge, and where our preconceptions about ghostly goings-on can heighten our sense of unease. "Context and priming accentuate these effects," he says.

Such feelings could even be hard-wired, primordial responses to natural hazards. Predators and venomous insects can lurk in cramped, shadowy corners, for example. And that's why Wiseman considers control over lighting and room size to be crucial. "I think many experiences are visually driven," he says. In the Edinburgh vaults, for example, people often reported the strangest feelings when entering the darkest, tiniest chambers. Objects such as old furniture are also important for reinforcing preconceptions of where ghosts lurk, and he expects his house to have an "Olde Worlde" feel.

What about more subtle effects? It's easy to control temperature with air-conditioning units hidden behind walls. "We're very sensitive, so the temperature wouldn't have to drop much," says Wiseman. "You can detect a quarter-of-a-degree change." Equally practical would be concealed metal coils attached to a power supply that can create blips in the ambient electric and magnetic fields, much like those reported by ghost hunters in the US during hauntings. Wiseman has already demonstrated the technology by fitting an electrical coil onto the back of a painting.

In fact, subtle electromagnetic fields are considered capable of inducing hallucinations, as demonstrated by experiments in the early 1990s by Michael Persinger of the Laurentian University of Sudbury in Ontario, Canada. By subjecting volunteers to electromagnetic fields, Persinger induced all sorts of hallucinations, from hauntings to out-of-body experiences. (New Scientist, 19 November 1994, p29)

Unearthly vibrations created by infrasound are also reckoned to be capable of inducing hallucinations or feelings of unease. Wiseman is keen to have it in his arsenal of tricks. "It's a subtle form of vibration, and can make candles flicker, for example," he says. "And believe me, it does feel odd."

So much for the theory. Is it likely to happen? Wiseman is optimistic because his house could be economically self-sustaining, a crowd-puller in its own right, especially if associated with historic venues already drenched in ghostly folklore. Might there be disused houses in the grounds of stately homes which could be converted for the purpose, perhaps a derelict cottage, or an old hunting lodge? That way, the "history" would come ready-packaged. Wiseman is contacting organisations such as English Heritage that manage historic properties to see if they're interested, reminding them that his experiments at Hampton Court attracted record numbers of curious visitors.

His experimental haunted house could prove a bargain. In all, he reckons Spook Central would cost around £50,000. And even if the team has to buy the house, the cost could be recouped by selling it after the experiments are complete. "We could even leave the equipment there, so the owners could have the scariest house in the world," he says.

However, surely there's a fatal flaw in his plan: if you know it's all fake at the outset, won't you simply scoff at any strange effects you experience? There are ways round that, Wiseman believes. One trick might be to invite clairvoyants to the venue's opening night to summon up spirits. That way, "ghosts" could still be to blame when visitors get spooked. For ethical reasons, Wiseman would tell people they are part of an experiment, but he says it might be possible to prime people with stories of unusual effects experienced by previous visitors, without telling them where they occurred. "We'd keep the whole thing ambiguous," he says. "And if we get genuine weird effects, it would add to the mystery."

Hang on, though. Suppose the medium succeeds and real ghosts take up residence... Wiseman's plan could end up seriously compromised. Then, perhaps, it would be time to borrow a trick or two from the Scooby gang - after all, no self-respecting spook would be seen dead anywhere near those pesky kids.

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 04:08
Well I have a 'ghost' story lol I'm sure there's a logical explanation for this, and I don't believe in ghosts but it was queer.

So we sitting in Social class, and the lights go on for about half a second and then go back again. Kinda creepy, then it happens twice more. And it's not like anyone was near the light switch. Haha funny thing though is this guy goes up to to light switch and pretends to be attacked by the ghosts, and his friend also goes and up and "trips". lol. As I said before i'm sure there's some explanation for this.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 04:35
Personally, I don't really believe in ghosts. I think all that stuff about the paranormal is weird. Also, I think that orbs and being haunted by a dead relative and all that stuff is bogus. Just my opinion.

But I do believe in the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Evil (aka Satan). Sometimes I can feel the spirit of satan around me, and usually I just pray for God to make it go away and it does. Also, a lot of times I can feel the Holy spirit and I don't really ever want it to go away.
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 02:47
Oh, Vanya, I know just how you feel! Sometimes I can kinda sense an evil spirit around me, when I'm in a bad area or situation, and it really freaks me out. I usually recite Bible verses or pray for God to make it go away, and it does! Then I feel comforted, like God (or one of his angels?) is protecting me.

I also agree with Pipsqueak. I don't believe in ghosts, but I believe in demons and angels. There is always a spiritual warfare going on around us. Sometimes I can just sense something trying to make me not listen to the pastor or youth pastor, but I try to listen real hard then, to make it go away.

I used to think that my house was haunted.....until I grew up! Doors would close all of the sudden, the roof would creak in my room, branches would scrape my window, I would hear weird noises and various other stuff. I finally attributed it to 1) Doors closing~the air conditioning would create vacuums in other rooms strong enough to pull a slightly closed door closed all the way 2) Creaking roof~ our house being old (though it still freaks me out at night! and it's loud, too!) 3)There is a tree right outside my window that would scrape my window.

Though, there was this really weird thing that used to happen! Around midnight every night my computer would just boot on it's own! It kinda freaked me out the first few times, but then I just figured that it was either an electrical surge or something that would trigger it to start, or there was some type of timing mechanism somewhere that would start it. I finally would turn off the surge protector every night, then it stopped, so I'm sure that it had something to do with electricity.

Alot I see my family members around the house even when they are all out. It's just my mind playing tricks on me though. It's strange how our mind can scare the stuffing out of us, making us think that certain things are happening.

I know that once online there was a picture of a "ghost" coming out of an old school or something, and it had on a long trench coat and a hat. I asked my dad if it was a ghost or what, and he said..."It could be a demon." That really freaked me out. I don't think that I have ever been more scared. The realization that there could be demons in this very room right now is terrifying. (Luckily I have my God to comfort me and keep me safe!)
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 06:05
There are many things in this world that cannot be explained.

True, I believe in angels :angel: and demons :evil: but I also believe in ghosts. *gasp*^^ I like to call them lost souls.
I think ghosts are just people who are confused, saddened or angry at themselves or another and can never find peace. That's why they're called *lost* Like I mentioned earlier, there were ghost sightings of natives in my area. That definitely sprung my belief in ghosts.

But then again, I have heard of the force and energy theory. I don't really believe in that but it goes to show how awesome the powers of the Earth can be (Cool!). The theory could be true. I don't know. I know there are people who don't believe in the paranormal, and that's fine.

But keeping an open mind is very important. You're open to new possibilities and you can learn a lot of things. People will hate and deny things they don't understand. Sometimes, they'll even fear it. That's not a grudge to anyone by the way, it's just something to think about.

It's easy to be skeptic, but what does your heart say?
Keep this saying in mind.
Okay, I'll shut up now.
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 10:49
i firmly beleive in ghosts/spirits. yes i see them. at first it scared me, because they seemed to be vengeful. but i just put up with them and they actually started to be more friendly and actually protected me. when i told my parents this, they took me to get an MRI, thinking i was hallucinating. the scans came out clean. and sometimes i am watching t.v. when there was no one even touching the remote. it was usually when i was watching something that my parents didn't exactly like...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email