Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ghosts?
on: May 10, 2004 12:19
Do I believe in ghosts? I have ever since I was seven when I was told scary stories. But as I grew older, they started to fascinate me in some respects. I've had a few experiences with ghosts but not many. I live in the area of Hampton Roads, Virginia. There is a lot of history here, including the battle of the ironclads that happened during the Civil War. And there's a lot of old buildings and graveyards.

My first story takes place when I'm about nine or ten. I use to go to a baby sitter in the afternoons with a bunch of other kids in the afternoon after school. The babysitter lived on a farm with some land that was really old from what I understood. One day, we went into the woods to play on some old stuff that had been left years before. But I didn't go all the way back because I would think we would get in trouble so I stopped half way and waited for the others to come back. As I waited, I heard this scream... almost blood-curdling and I felt a presence... like I was being watched. It scared me really badly and I ran back to the house as fast as I could. Once I got back, I asked the others if they heard a scream. They said no and told me of someone dying back there a long time ago. I never went back into those woods again alone.

I've always been attracted to old graveyards, I often take pictures of the old headstones if I have a camera on me. But it was Halloween and I decided I wanted to go around to all the local graveyards at night. There was a full moon at night as well. As I was walking along a few headstones where I heard a noise out in the woods as if someone was walking towards me. I didn't know what it was and I heard it coming closer and that was enough to make me leave.

And whenever I go to old battlefields such as Manassas , I get a strange feeling... perhaps knowing that so many died there. It feels like all those poor souls that died there haven't really left and they are still there...
magickdraigh2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 09:29
I have a 2 ghosts that come and see me every night. It is a white mist above my wardrobe and another one next to it.
I have only been freaked out twice by this when one morning i was getting out of bed one of them starting moving backwards and forwards quite fast and did this the night before aswell. I take this as some sort of sign but not sure what, that was a while ago and hasn't done it since.

I think they are probably my brother and sister who died before I was born. Once I saw a figure in my doorway one night, I saw only the torso and the arms (up to the wrists), i think it was wearing something that was long.
LOTRfan12
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 01:51
hey everyone!

In Arkansas, about fifty years ago, there was this old house. No one lived in it; it had been deserted for many years. Finally it was torn down. While tearing it down, a body was found in the attic. No one knew who it was, or where it came from, all they knew is someone had died there.
It was rebuilt, and my grandmother and her parents and family moved in. My grandmother was ten or so. She, her mother and sisters slept in one room, while her dad and two brothers slept in the other. The house also consisted of a small kitchen, living room, and a small room that had been locked for many years, and had never been opened since they moved in.
One night, about midnight, there was a loud yell. It came from her dad's room. Her dad had had a heart-attack, and he died that night.
From that day on, strange things happened. They would go to bed, and the next morning, their doors would be open, tables would be set, windows would be propped open, dishes would be in the sink, even though they had been washed the night before.
When they were in bed at night, they would be able to hear the floors creak in other rooms, as though someone was walking around.
Some people believed a ghost lived there, (perhaps of the person that died there) others believed it was her dad, protecting her and her family.
Many other ghostly things happened to her while she lived there, to her and her siblings. Once, while her sister was home alone, she heard an organ playing. She went and found the door to the locked room open, and a chicken was walking up and down the keys. No one knows how the door was opened, for it had been locked for years.
To this day, no one knows who (or what) lived there.
There are also legends that during the Civil War, slaves used to walk by that house, singing songs about being free. Some people say that somtimes, if you listen carefully, you can hear these sames slaves singing.
It's scary to me, hearing about it, but personally, I don't believe in ghosts. I believe in God and Satan, and I think Satan does this stuff to scare you away from God.
Anyways, everyone have a good day.

Love,

LOTRFAN12
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 03:57
I believe in God and Satan, and I think Satan does this stuff to scare you away from God.

Okay, I know Satan does nasty things like that, and I'll never deny the fact either, but I don't think ghosts are everything that has to do with evil.

In an earlier post, I mentioned spirits of the Native Americans. I can hear them in the woods, I can tell they're around, and occasionally, I'll see them, but I'm not afraid. They don't do anything. The reason they're still seen is because the place I live in was very special to them, and even after several hundreds of years, they still guard and look over this place.

If they were truly demons, I'm sure they'd do more nasty things, than this.

Folks say it's not possible because it wasn't scientifically proven.
Well, guess what?? It wasn't scientifically disproven either.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 08:49
I do believe in ghosts but I haven't experienced one. The reason why I believe is because sometimes people have unfinished business here so they can't move on. Also, some people have died and they don't know it and they are trying to figure out what has happened.

There are some weird things here on Earth and sometimes we can't explain and sometimes we can.

Here where I live in this apartment I hear footsteps and I know it's not any of my family members because they are sleeping. Sometimes I hear voices clearly in my room but it could be the neighbors. Who knows.
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 11:09
TRUCKing this thread!

*looks behind her and turns on the light* Man, I really shouldn't have watched the Sixth Sense yesterday
I believe in ghosts. Or ghosty things. I have never really 'seen' a ghost, but my parents have had a ghost experience. Footsteps and doors opening, stuff like that.
I think some of the ghosts people see are just their imaginations or hallucinations, but then there are also a lot of unexplainable things...
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2005 11:30
TRUCKing this thread!

*looks behind her and turns on the light* Man, I really shouldn't have watched the Sixth Sense yesterday

Lol, I love that movie! And nice TRUCK, by the way!

I do believe that there could be some ghostly stuff around us. Nope, never seen/heard/felt or whatever the presence of a ghost, and I don't see dead people like the kid in the SIxth Sense, but it's likely that they could be around. Not evil ghosts, such as some of them in horror movies, but you know...
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2005 03:38
do you believe in ghosts? why?

Yes, I do believe in ghosts because...............I live in a haunted house. Think what you like but it's the truth (O_o) My Nana's house is haunted too...everyone who's lived there (out of my mum's side of the family) have experienced something in one way or another in there.

I actually saw a ghost in the park by my Nan's when I was about 10...it's hard, long and difficult to explain, but if you want to know, tell me and I'll go into a full explanation.

As for things going on in my house, not much has happened since May '04 when we used the Ouija Board and we told the spirit to go to the light, and he replied with 'Thank you'. Before then, I would feel my bed moving, me and my mum would hear draws opening and closing in the middle of the night (she thought it was me and I thought it was her), I've had a penny thrown at me when I was the only one in the room - and to be honest, last night when I was in bed, I could hear the doors opening and closing downstairs, at 2am, which freaked me out because I was the last one to switch everything off and lock up and I knew that the doors were all open and they can't move unless you *physically* push them. So yeah, knowing that there was no one down there and that the dog was outside, I had to sleep with the light on, heh
Felnor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2005 09:03
No. I dont believe in ghosts. I think its all absolute nonsense created for the purpose of scary bed-time stories.

Its also against my belifs as I dont feel God would allow spirts to wander where ever they fancy otherwise he wouldnt bother with heaven and hell.

They can make interesting stories but thats all they are.

Stories.

Well thats what I think anyway.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 13, 2005 09:30
I guess I'm what you'd call a 'skeptic'. Ghost sort of go against my Christian beliefs, but I have seen/experienced some things that make me kinda...eeeeh, well, you know. Skeptical.

There's a cold spot in our house, right as you enter the hall. It isnt *always* cold, but twice while walking from my bedroom through that spot, I've heard a voice when no one was there to speak. First time it said "hey!" in a sort of low whisper, and second time it said "wait!" needless to say, I didn't wait! On one of those nights I looked in my brothers room and saw a shadow on the wall, but couldn't figure out what was casting it. It wasn't MY shadow-- it was on the wrong wall! anyway, I got freaked out that night.

Ive also heard footsteps when I'm the only one awake and there's no one walking. and one morning I was sitting in the kitchen and saw something go *woosh* into the pantry out of the corner of my eye. I was thinking I had seen a flurry of bugs or something, because it was too large to be one bug, but nothing was in the pantry when I looked. I was probably just overly-tired that time.

I guess you can wonder why I'm still skeptical. I do believe in angels and demons, but I'm not sure about restless souls...
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2005 11:40
Ghost sort of go against my Christian beliefs

I dont believe in ghosts...Its also against my beliefs

Umm yeah, I'm Christian too....

Not to turn this into a religious debate but...what do you guys think of the Holy Ghost? (O_o)

It doesn't even need to be answered.
I don't want to be to blame for any out of hand debates.

People tend to get confused between ghosts and spirits.
Ghosts - they do not know they are dead. They are a replay of events that have happened long ago and have been played over so many times that they are 'recorded' into the atmosphere or into the fabric of the building.

Spirits - they know they are dead. They are not restless. They enter the human world in visitation to look after friends and family.

There you are
Felnor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 03:42
Not to turn this into a religious debate but...what do you guys think of the Holy Ghost?

Okay I kinda forgot about him!

But I consider that to be a exception.

Althrough I dont believe in ghost im not saying my view is right, just that I believe it is.
Angel_Of_Athens
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 06:55
I don't believe in ghosts...well I do believe in other beings. I have seen some pretty strange stuff in my lifetime. Sometimes at night I see figures walking around in my room and talking to each other. Sometimes they talk to me and it's scary. I also saw a battle take place in my laundry room between an angel and a demon. They made some loud noises and I just ran upstairs and told my mom and sister to wait till they were done to go downstairs. lol ok I'm gonna stop right there
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 07:27
I didn't understand the Holy Ghost either, but some explained it to me. The problem is, I can't remember what they said. :feedback:

I had an encounter with an angel once...
Angel_Of_Athens
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 07:38
The Holy Ghost is what lives inside of you when you accept God into your heart.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 11:44
The Holy Ghost is what lives inside of you when you accept God into your heart.

Oh, okay then. Thanks!
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 05:07
I'm not sure whether or not I quite believe in ghosts. A lot of people have seen things in the house I grew up in - my mum saw a man standing in the corner of her bedroom, my uncle saw a married couple walking down the stairs, my little cousin has heard things in rooms when nobody is in them. As for me personally, I saw something once, but I suppose it could have been a trick of the light.

There is also a certain place near the lake--an abandoned mansion that is kept up and used for tours--that people feel uncomfortable at. It's not actually the house, it's a path that leads away from the house to the lake. At the end of the path there's a sharp drop down to where the railroad tracks are. That path is where people feel uncomfortable, and I admit I feel it too when I go there. But it's weird because if you walk down the slope beside the path, the feeling gradually starts to ease. People even feel more comfortable walking in the dark part of the forest on the other side of the park, than at that path. You even get the uncomfortable sense without being on the path, you only have to be within visual range of it...it's almost like someone's watching you from the path. I dunno if it's actually because something's happened/happening there or if it's because of how it's been built up by other people. *shrug*
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 04:22
ok, I do believe in ghosts, having had a couple of paranormal experiences in my life.

I am a witch, so this is perfectly inline with my spiritual beliefs

My own belief is that ghosts are manifistations of a strong emotional tie to the world...

attachment to one still living (some people find themselves followed by ghosts of loved ones who wish to watch over them, note this doesn't mean a poltergeist, which I will explain later)

attachment to a place (a home is most obvious. Some place where a person spent many years, maybe alone, like a path worn in floor boards when one paces around alot)

attachment to an event (some hauntings manifest in a particular event being repeated over and over, sort of an emotional imprint)

Poltergeists are not ghosts at all, but have shown to be phenomena caused by a living person without their knowledge. Typiccally a teenager going through puberty, but this isn't always the case.

My own experiences include seeing my great grandfather in my bedroom and then a little girl at an old house my aunt had just bought. I have also experienced presences, heard voices on the edge my perception.

When I was little, I was encouraged to close my mind to these experiences, which limited my perceptions.

The practice of magic, is the practice of altering one's perceptions. there is more to the world than we can see, hear and touch with our current state of mind. Magic is the art of opening one's mind to wider perception. Some people are born with this ability and can see these emotional imprints where other's can't.

This is of course, in my humble, but pretty well thought out opinion.
Aragorn_is_MINE_NOT_YOURS
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 01:59
I'm not exactly certain if I believe in ghosts. I know it's not very scientifically likely, but my doubt falters. A week after I watched The Ring (which scared me so much I wouldn't sleep in my own room for three nights) I was getting ready to go to school in the morning. I cleaned my glasses off in the sink, put them on the counter, and got into the shower. When I stepped out again, the faucet was running. I don't know if I forgot to turn it off or something, but I'm almost certain I did. And no one had come into the bathroom during my shower, I would have heard them and seen their shadows through the curtain. At the time I was so freaked out I wouldn't even look in the mirror because I was scared I'd see Samara behind me in the reflection. I just finished combing my hair as fast as I could and practically ran out of the bathroom.

Another time at my great grandma's house, I was in the upstairs bedroom with the door opened so the light from the hallway could get in. I don't like that house much anyway, there's this one picture of my grandma's parents that freaks me out because their eyes just look so blank and hollow. I have to avert my gaze everytime I walk upstairs. Anyway, my first scare of the night was when the little hanging mirror on the window swayed and caught the light from the hallway. It looked like a shiny orb was just hanging in the air and my heart skipped several beats, then I realized it was just the mirror. A few minutes later, I turned onto my side so I was facing a dresser mirror and swore I saw the reflection of an old woman in an olive green sweater standing in the doorway for a split second. I whipped around to the real doorway, but no one was there. I looked in the mirror again and no one was there either. I didn't manage to fall asleep until about an hour after that.
Mrs_Boyd
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 09:45
I do believe in ghost, but I don't tell many people that. It seems that every time I do, they say, "Why do you believe that stuff? Its so dumb, theres no sense in it!" Well, I've only had two experiances myself, but the people around me have had some creepy enough ones that truely make me believe...

For example; when I was about 4 or 5 years old, my dad was laying in bed with me, telling me a story. I looked up, and through the crack of my door, I saw two glowing red eyes. I asked my dad what it was, and he replied (after a bit of a scared pause) "Oh, its just your mom." And then, when I was 11, me and two of my friends were walking around the park around dusk. We were getting close to the basketball court, when we saw a guy there. I doubt we woulda seen him if it hadn't been for the white patch on his jaket. Anyway, as we got closer, he began to walk away. As soon as he stepped off the court, he disapered. We ran back screaming, needless to say. When my mom was about 11 years old, she saw a ghost, too. She had gotten up to get some water in the middle of the night, and when she got back to her room, she saw a man standing over her bed. Both her parents were asleep, so she knew it wasn't her dad. He was looking down at her bed, like he woulda been looking at her. She decided to run at him with her hands in front of her, to hopefully push him down. She ran right through him. My sister's story is the scariest. She and a friend of her's were walking in the park near their home one night, and the park was by a cemetary (oh god, just thinking about this story scares me). They decided to go over to the cemetary, just to mess around. They had been in there for a time, when they saw a little girl, no one else, riding a bike. Slowly. Very slowly. A few minutes later, they saw an old couple, walking in perfect step, at the same slow pace. By then, they were really scared, because it was starting to get dark. So they turned to leave. (I don’t really remember much about what happened after that, but I remember this.) My sister tripped over a gravestone into a puddle of water, completely face first. Her whole body should’ve been soaked. Only half of it was.
So, yeah, I definatly beleive in ghost. I have no reason not to.

[Edited on 19/6/2005 by Mrs_Boyd]
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 12:30
A few minutes later, I turned onto my side so I was facing a dresser mirror and swore I saw the reflection of an old woman in an olive green sweater standing in the doorway for a split second. I whipped around to the real doorway, but no one was there. I looked in the mirror again and no one was there either. I didn't manage to fall asleep until about an hour after that.

That's the very thing that happened to me. I saw a reflection of a young man in my window. He had on a brown plaid sweater vest and a bow tie. Or that's what I saw...like I said, maybe a trick of light, maybe not...*shrug* Anyway, I turned around to look around my room and saw nothing, then turned back to the window and again saw nothing. Only it didn't really freak me out...I wasn't scared at all. I always feel safe in my room, even when I feel uneasy in the rest of the house...it's weird...it could possibly be my imagination because I'm most comfortable in my room...I dunno *shrug*
Pyromaniac_deLioncourt
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2005 04:47
I do believe in ghosts and I beleive that several are in my house. I've had two indoor sightings, and many outdoor ones. I've seen an old man, and a lady in a long white nightdress. While these seem harmless, the get angry if I turn the radio up too loud. Sometimes ghosts that I don't see, but feel seem angry or upset, but they have never harmed m
Esmerelda~Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 08:57
Well, I always loved ghost stories! They're so fun to read, until you have to go to bed at night.
If I wasn't a Christian I would definately believe in ghosts. lol. Lots of scary things happen in my house. Like this claw thing outside my bathroom window that scrapes against it every night. When I go outside to where that window is it's just a branch that doesn't even look like a claw. But it has never scaped against the window in the daylight. Just night. lol, you probably think I'm insane cause I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in ghosts. The truth is that I'm easily frightened. I mean, at night I hear a sound like someone tapping glass in my room. Then it stops. It only does it every now and then. Scary... and I would say it was a ghost if I believed in them. But it's probably jst my fish. How does he tap the glass? Heck, I don't know! But really, I believe demons are the cause of all of these things happening to you guys. Demons can only do it to non-Christians, though. They have no power over God, thus they appear only to non-believers.
Here's a story

Have any of you heard of Kirk Camron? He's a Christian actor. He's in the Left Behind movies. But he also goes in the streets and keads people to God. One time he was witnessing to what I guess I'd called an emo girl. She, am I allowed to say this? was a cutter. Well, she started crying because she felt so bad, and wanted to know Jesus. Then, I guess satan was pretty determined to stop her from praying, both the girl and Kirk heard a voice in the air say (in a really creepy voice, there's a recording of it) "I'm the keeper (or creeper, but I think it was keeper, lol!)" Well, Kirk Cameron prayed and the voice stopped. Of course the girl sobbed more, but she paued, and now is Heaven-bound! Yay!
Anyhoo, my eyes start watering when I 'm scared, and typing this has nearly made a river. It scares me to death, even though I know I'm safe. I'm praying for all of you!
Esmerelda~Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 09:14

Okay, I know Satan does nasty things like that, and I'll never deny the fact either, but I don't think ghosts are everything that has to do with evil.

The reason there can't be ghosts is because when we die we go to either Heaven or Hell. There's no third place. Our souls leave our body and go to one of these places, not remain on earth out of our bodies and haunt places. I'm not trying to prove this for my good, but so you can be unafraid and go to Heaven!
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 09:54
Oh, at my dad's work, we go into the basement to find things, fix them, and other stuff. You can hear a woman in high heels walking down there, when on the first floor, you cna hear children laughing and running above you. At our own house, my mom said she saw a white, misty foggy cloud walk from her room into what used to be my room.At my grandmother's, you can hear someone walking upstair on the metal grate in her floor, the alarm clock goes off whenever it wants, and sometimes its like you can hear someone talking, but no one is there. I was there once siting in the living room alone and I heard scratching in the walls, which freaked me out some. I have also been in my woods walking and when you are still, you can hear whispering right in your ear, when there is no wind and none are around. The water tower above my house, when you are near it, the trap steel door is locked mind you, and this was before they fenced it off, put razor wire on the fance, and put motioc detectors and lasers around it. Anyway, you could hear someone walking down there on the concrete, and you would hear someone cough. I have never seen something, but it doesn't stop me from trying to. I love ghost stories, they have always fascinated me, but some things cannot be explained.

At my dad's work, he was painting on a Sunday, no one was in the building, and he had the radio on. He was listening because he heard something, but dismissed it. Dad continued working, he was standing on a ladder and he heard this really loud bang. He nearly fell of of the ladder it startled him so, and he never gets scared. He turned around immidiately, looking at the metal file cabinet behind him and it was still vibrating from the force of the hit. He looked everywhere and later even looked at the camera, he was the only one there in that building, no one had come in while he was working, or left.
IthilionofMirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 10:37
i'm undecided on the subject, but i'd frankly be unsurprised if there were ghosts around. i've heard some pretty wierd stuff in my time. also, my granddad died a couple of years ago. when i'm alone, particularly when i'm feeling rough, i sometimes get the feeling somebody's nearby, soert of watching me. it's an odd feeling, butnot entirely upleasant.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 01:42
I do get that feeling sometimes, though it is really unpleasant for me. It's as if something was there, but I don't really know what it is and a get a bad feeling each time.
And there has been strange things at my place too, but they don't happen anymore. Like sometimes at night I could hear the same voices over and over again. And not just voices, whatever they were, they were moving stuff around the house too. And then there was this sound like the tone of the answering machine that came on for no reason. But the thing is the the phone never rang before or anything. It lasted for a while and then I stopped hearing those things altogether. Strange...
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 02:43
I get that feeling too. This may sound wierd, but I had a cat named Oreo that died and after that, I was feeling sort of down. I was in my bed at night, niether of the other two cats were in there and I felt something jump up onto my bed and lay on my feet. She did that every night when she had been alive.

When my grandfather died, I felt awful. At his funeral, I went into an asthma attack from crying so much, and I went numb, not talking, no feelings. I didn't even feel it when I cut my finger helping prepare dinner tha tnight at my grandmother's. I felt like someone was with me though, through it all. Whenever I feel sad, or I'm really depressed, I feel like someone is with me and I feel better. I have one of his medals that he got in the war, so I carry it with me everywhere. My grandmother in Georgia was on her counter trying to get something out of the cabniets above, and she almost fell. She felt a hand on her back, and looked, but no one was there. This was shortly after her first husband died.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 10:30
I've never seen a ghost but I'm absolutely certain that they exist. Well actually, I may have seen a ghost once. I was at this abbey or whatever it was at night (me and my little brother used to like going there at night) and I was a little bit ahead of my brother and my dad and I saw this figure next to one of the gravestones in a big blue cloak... didn't get a very clear look because it was kind of out the corner of my eye, but I do remember that much. It was really, really strange... :dizzy:
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Esmerelda~Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 11:27
Wow! That's so creepy!

Does anyone else ever see things, not out of the corner of your eye, but in the shadows or near a place where it's not easily seen, and it's only like an undefinable black figure? I see them and then they go away instantly. That and sometimes I sense stuff, but that's probably insanity. I don't know what to think. I don't really believe in ghosts, but things are getting weird.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2008 11:26
Yeah, I've done that occassionally, seen figures in the shadows. it's sort of creepy, but I never feel threatened. I would hate to come across a demonic spirit if I ever encountered ghosts full on. I've only had little experiences with ghosts, a demonic spirit I dunno if I could handle that...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email