Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post The talented Elijah Wood
on: March 07, 2002 03:10
Weren't you scared that he would suck in the film? And wasn't he wonderful?

I think my favorite scenes of his from the film are (in no particular order):

1) When he jumps into Gandalf's arms at the beginning. It's just so...so...Hobbity!

2) When he says he'll take the ring at the Council.

3) In Moria, when Gandalf is talking to him about Gollum and pity, and he says that he wished the ring had never come to him. Lovely scene, probably my favorite in the film.

4) The scene between him and Boromir. The emotions that cross his face throughout that are great to watch--uncertainty, disgust, fear.

5) That scene where he stands on the beach crying, and then the look of dermination that crosses his face.

6) Hugging Sam in the boat. Just sweet.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
Post RE: The talented Elijah Wood
on: March 08, 2002 03:46
OK I'll have to admit I did think that he would wreck the movie and he did do a good job, but most of my favourite scenes revolved around the special effects (and the elves!) There was really only one part that you could actually tell the SFX apart from the rest of the movie (even though in certain cases you knew parts were grapics). But I suppose if the actor playing Frodo had sucked then the movie would be terrible.

Out of curiousity are you a Frodo fan Rivka, or a Elijah fan?
Rivka
Send Message
on: March 08, 2002 07:42
I am Frolijah fan I love his incarnation of Frodo, but he himself doesn't do much for me. I've watched all his other movies, and enjoyed most of them, but mostly just because I enjoyed seeing bits of "Frodo" appear in some of his early acting performances. But yeah. I have a hard time lusting after Elijah himself because he's five years younger than me and looks 12 years old, lol. But Frodo in the movie...now that's yummy!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 15, 2002 10:49
I know exactly what you mean. I really like Legolas (mainly for his character - not really for appearence because I don't usually find blond men attractive), but Orlando Bloom (as much as he is a fantasic actor) ain't the kind of guy I'd be chasing after...
Nuindaliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2002 07:30
I thought that Wood did a fine job as frodo...very fine indeed!! he was sweet yet determined. And he was so nice with sam. i never really liked him before this movie and yeah it's hard to think that he's a year older than me and he looks like my little cousin but hey! Lozza i agree with you while legolas is pretty he is a litlle too pretty!!

[Edited on 24/3/2002 by Nuindaliel]
Ashley
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2002 11:56
I think that my favorite parts with Frodo in the movie were probably....

1) When Gandalf arrived infront of him, and Frodo said "You are late!" That smirk on his face was just tooo ADORABLE!!! ^_^;;;

2) And the end of the movie where Frodo and Sam were infront of the sunset.

Queen_B
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2002 10:58

I was so mad when I heard they were getting "that annoying little kid from Flipper" to play Frodo, but he was wonderful. At last he's started to play some more serious adult roles! Of course, this hasn't stopped me running out to buy The Faculty, and Deep Impact, and all the other stuff he's ever done!

My favourite Frodo parts were the bit in the boat, (of course!), especially where he runs to the end of the boat and yells to Sam - something about his eyes there always makes me cry - and after Moria.

*bursts into tears*

[Edited on 1/7/2003 by Valaöré]
Ashley
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2002 11:11

I was so mad when I heard they were getting "that annoying little kid from Flipper" to play Frodo.

::LMAO::
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 01, 2002 12:14
Speaking of his films, I did a filmography with brief reviews of his roles here, in case any of you are interested:

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=2
Queen_B
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2002 01:05
LOL, Riv, that is hysterical! I especially liked your Flipper review

I heard that The Ice Storm was really good, but very wierd. Does anyone know where you can buy it? And I heard rumour of something about the DVD... and an "eating jam off Elijah" feature... *dies*
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 01, 2002 02:08
Hmm...now that's an interesting rumor. I had to watch it on VHS, so no scene like that. Hmm...must find DVD version...

The Ice Storm is very good, but very depressing in some ways. And quite possibly hard to relate to if you didn't live during that time, or at least I thought so. It's definitely a weird little film...chock full of bizarre and complicated characters. I'm still a little unsure about whether or not I like Elijah's performance in it. Perhaps I need another viewing to cement my opinion...excuses, excuses...
Queen_B
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2002 03:07
Ah, any excuse to watch Lij again, right Riv?

Have you heard about the film he's doing at the moment? It's a ... romantic comedy... with... Mandy Moore... *sob* Why, dear god, why?!

Of course, I'm going to go and see it anyway...
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 02, 2002 04:23
I'm trying to pretend that I didn't just hear the words "Mandy Moore" uttered here. *sigh* I thought he wanted to stay away from typical teeny-bopper flicks, so I'm loathe to understand why he's doing this flick. I guess it's about as far from Frodo as you can get...
Queen_B
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2002 05:29
Unfortunately, yes Tragic, huh? I hoped he might start doing slightly more... umm... serious films...all the gory details to be found here.

Pleugh.
Alaggwethwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2002 02:55
I have to be honest. I've not seen Elijah Wood in any other movie. But I can say that I was not influenced by his acting in any other role. So when i went to see the movie for the first time(12 so far) I was totally hooked. Elijah did a wonderful job of bringing Frodo to life and he is beyond a shadow of a doub tis the cutest Frodo. Much better looking than the one depicted in the animated dud. I may not have liked the animated LOTR but it was what brought the Tolkien trilogy into my life and has been there ever since. I can hardly wait to see the next installment . The trailer looks awesome.
Sareana_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2002 02:17
Okay, I havn't seen Flipper in years, and I didn't really care... I had read the Hobbit, but I wasn't really INTO LOTR yet... I actually didn't want to see it.... but my da loves the books, and he made me go... I have seen it now four times, and am reading TTT....

Mandy Moore? Romantic? :Slaps her: GEt your hands away from him...m he's mine! All mine! (j/k)

[Edited on 16/4/2002 by Sareana_Evenstar]
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 15, 2002 06:06
My great fear is that with them working closely together that he might end up romantically involved with her. Not that I begrudge the dear boy a girlfriend, but Mandy Moore? Yech. Well, he's only 21. If they do get involved, I'm sure it will be of short duration...
Itta
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2002 07:10
ok not much info on his new movie "Try Seventeen", but enough to know it sounds cheesy. But of course since he is in it I will have to go see it. To be honest though I fell in love with Billy Boyd in the trilogy. He is just soo cute. I have actually loved Elijah since...forever. But I really think he became more grown up in his movies when he did "The Bumblebee flies anyway." That movie, unfortunately was a satelite movie only and not a big release. If anyone has a copy or knows where I could find one, I would gladly pay for a copy. He is just adorable. I was never really goo-goo over Legolas, my heart belongs to Pippin and the other hobbits.
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2002 05:23
Elijah Wood was great in the movie. He did a good job as Frodo.
Strider9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2002 12:05
Elijah Wood is a great actor and it is proved in LOTR, I have been watching him since "Huck Finn" in 93 and I have always liked his acting..

[Edited on 17/4/2002 by Strider9]
PervyElfFancierLuine
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2002 04:41
You can all relax about the whole Mandy Moore thing, he's not dating her or even playing her boyfriend in the movie. *laughs* Apparently he's not the main male lead. It's an independent film.

As for Elijah as Frodo, I have been reading the books since I was SIX YEARS OLD and all my life, I have always pictured Frodo as looking almost exactly like Elijah. God knows why, since Elijah looks twelve and Frodo's supposed to be around fifty, but... *shrugs* Who knows? All I can say was that it was a nasty shock of deja-vu to see him in the trailer for the first time. *chuckles*

"And I heard rumour of something about the DVD... and an "eating jam off Elijah" feature... *dies*"

*blinks* I don't want to know, and yet at the same time I'm quite fascinated.... will have to look into this!
frodoandsam
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2002 09:34
Elijah did a wonderful job playing Frodo Baggins and I can't wait to see him in The Two Towers this Dec.
Sareana_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2002 05:02
My friend asked if I would like to borrow movies with Elijah in it from her(she knows I like him.. SHE likes Josh Harttnett) I they were the Faculty(sp?) and (not sure about the name) the Good Son..... but my parents would KILL me before letting me watch them... gr..
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2002 01:18
I have seen most of Elijah Wood's movies from Radio Flyer. He's a good actor. Best in LOTR movies!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 30, 2002 12:15
Well, the only other movie I've seen Elijah in is "The Good Son"...I thought he was pretty ok in that. I was happiest when Macauley Culkin (sp?) was dropped to his death at the end--yeah! I did enjoy reading your reviews, Rivka, and plan to catch some more of his movies.
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 30, 2002 12:34
Thanks, Aowyn. That reminds me, I need to finish my review of Lord of the Rings. Hmm. Maybe I'll do that now...
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2002 05:08
I agree Aowyn, I also liked it when his mom dropped him and fell to his death.
rubygardener
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2002 03:59
I really love Frodo so much! Whenever I see the movie I cry all the time, seeing Frodo makes me sad. Just knowing what he must do and what he must go through, I hate that.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 09, 2002 09:41
I liked Elijah a lot in The War, he was really convincing (off course, I was only 15 when I saw it so easily to convince)

as for his performance now, my sister and I have been discussing it when we found out Ian McKellen was nominated for an Oscar and Elijah wasn't, and we agreed that he should be (perhaps for ROTK?) because the part of Frodo is not the easiest one in the film

since he's only one year younger than me (and one older than my sis) our house is filled with Elijah-love - I can't even remember who I wanted to play Frodo in the first place, but I believe it was Tobey Maguire, and since I think they look a lot like each other...

sister Figwit

[Edited on 9/5/2002 by Figwit]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: May 21, 2002 01:39
I'm a true fan of Frodo, boy what a hero, and hes available, no girlfriend in the movie or the books YIpee, come here Frodo babe, I'll dry those tears for you. Fav. bit when hes standing looking at the ring as he's deciding to go alone to Mordor, don't do it Frodo, well ok, but let me go too.
Figwit
Send Message
on: May 21, 2002 06:50
mmmmm well, I just heard from my friend that she had heard that Elijah Wood would be well... oh whatever... gay.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

so very sad now
LOTR will never be the same

sister Figwit * still denial *
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 21, 2002 08:21
Wow..Elijah Wood gay? Really? Did she tell you where she heard that?
Figwit
Send Message
on: May 21, 2002 09:46
given the fact I'm still in denial I can't really say * must...... ignore...... thought * but as I recall she read it in a magazine, can't recall which though.......

sister Figwit
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 23, 2002 11:06
No, no, no, lass... it canna' be!!!

Must be a 'proofing error'... there's NO proof! And I think someone was pulling your leg...
Maccayla
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2002 12:08
I really liked Eli as Fro. I started loving Eli as Fro watching the AFI Awards, not exactly sure why...he was just adorable...even though he's like 6 and a half years older than me. O well.

And Eli is most definitely not gay, I read over on the Imladris message boards that he was dating a Franka something or other...I've forgotten her last name, but there are pictures out on the internet of them two, kinda cute actually.

~Mac~
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email