Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post Cameo appearances in the films
on: March 05, 2003 01:34
well im sure you all spotted both PJ's cameo appearneces (and those of his kids)...

outside Bree he was eating a carrot

at helms deep he (if i got this right.. i didnt see it) was dropping stones on the heads of the orcs.

PJ's children

hobbit children being told a story by Bilbo

children in the caves of helms deep

but im curious did anyone spot Alan Lee's cameo appearances?

he was one of the men with the rings in the ForR prolouge (second from the right)

in TTT he was one of the men being armed during the arming of the old men and boys scene.

great huh? i never knew that im going to have to watch the TTT video carefully

i wonder if anyone else had cameo roles.. and weather this trend will continue through to the return of the king

(btw this comes from the mouth of John Howe- on his forum board.. which is a valid resource i should imagine. Howe himself had no cameo roles)

sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Cameo appearances in the films
on: March 05, 2003 02:10
I think I saw Alan Lee last time I watched, when the guy says "here you go, old man" or something like that. All the boys getting armed except maybe Haleth (HAH! GIRL'S NAME! --no, not really, Tolkien used it for both) are sons of somebody in the film; I think one is Viggo's.

PJ is one of the Wild Men that Saruman tells to "burn every village!" at the beginning; he's kinda on the left hand side of the screen, with teeth sticking out. Then again that describes all of them. He looks dreadful!

I did see him drop something over the wall above the gate on the orcs.

I'm still not entirely sure I'm recognizing his daughter in Helm's Deep, since the hair is different and she's already aged a year or so since her last my GOSH she was cute appearance. But I think I spotted her. What a sweetheart.
Ladyhawke
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2003 03:53
Yeah, it's Viggo's son who is standing beside Haleth when Aragorn calls him over.
PJ's kids are so cute. But they are older and the girl's hair is blonde in TTT instead of brown. In the movie they are shown in one shot with a Rohan mother, and there in a close up on each of their faces.
I never seem to see Alan Lee in TTT, but I do see PJ.
I think I heard about someone else with a cameo, but I can't remember who it was, oh well.
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: March 05, 2003 04:51
Um.....kinda a nitpick here....but wasn't it Uruk-Hai that were at Helm's Deep?

And I had no idea that PJ or his kids were in any of the movies....I think I'll be seeing it again this weekend, I'll be sure and look!
King_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 07:19
Suilad!

I spotted PJ and his kids in all of those APART from the Wild Men of Dunland, I always look but I never can see him. Viggo's son Henry, is seen when you see Haleth son of Hama, with his hair falling over his eyes. Haleth is the son of Phillipa Boyens, writer (or is it co-producer?) of the films. Also, one of the guys handing out weapons is a crew member, but I don't know who. I always look at the supposedly Alan Lee king (one of the nine), and it is him, I think.

Namarie!

King_Elessar

EDIT: Oops, the was meant to be a

[Edited on 8/3/2003 by King_Elessar]
Aredhrel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 12:22
PJ was throwing a bronze spear, during the orc assault.
AragornEllessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2003 10:44
You know in that scene where Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli are in the armoury of Helm's Deep right before the battle? The "these are no soldiers" scene.

Well two of the men beside Aragorn (when Legolas says "look at them, they're frightened" and Aragorn looks up) were Alan Lee and Dan Hennah.

Look closely next time.

Go here to see it

Ringhilwen: Edited to make the link work

[Edited on 14/3/2003 by Ringhilwen]
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2003 05:00
alan lee also makes a cameo in FOTR as one of the kings in the prologue

I'm not sure which one he was but I think it was the fourth one on the right.......(counting the king in the middle)
Eothain222
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 05:02
I think that Peter Jackson was also at the gate of Helm's Deep when the Uruk-Hai broke it and he was one of the archers that shot a few Uruk-Hai. I think it also might be him who shouts "Hold them back!" or something on thoose lines

Also, i was in it!

[Edited on 2/6/2003 by Eothain222]
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 05:56
Eothain, where are you and what did you do?

Ya know, it took me 6 times to notice PJ in Bree? And I don't remember what Alan Lee looks like, so I never spot him.
Eothain222
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 07:00
I'm on the kids during the 'Where is the horse and the rider?' speach. The one with the sheild to be exact.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 09:13
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost: you can see Alan Lee here in the Prologue scene, and here in TTT (he's the guy to the extreme left).

Eothain! Are you in our caps gallery?
two_cute
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 07:04
Hey i haven't written in a while here cause i've been busy, a lot of ya'll are probably like 'who the hell are you anyway!" (lol) and that's safe (aka cool) but yeah i was watching the 'Bag End Set Test' part on the LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring extended DVD Box Set on Disk One... you know when Peter was acting out as Bilbo while this other guy stood with a huge poll and a mask on top of it pretending to be Gandalf

anyways as i was watching Peter do his thing, i heard this really loud voice saying 'Hiiiiii!' so i rewinded it back again and noticed it was Billy Jackson (Peter's son) shouting 'Hiiiiii, hey dad' to Peter, awww

Then afterwards i noticed Katie's little head passing through the Hobbit window walking the same direction to where Billy was before he shouted...

yeah sorry guys if you didn't really want to here about them, but i just couldn't help it, they're the CUTEST most BEAUTIFULIST kids ever. Peter and Fran must be really proud of them. Do you think they'll be on the Two Towers DVD Box Set? also what about The Return of the King, do you think they'll get cameo parts again?

yeah anyways hit me back if you've noticed it also or whatever, c ya

[Edited on 13/6/2003 by two_cute]
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 07:04
I haven't noticed that but I'll definately look out for it! I did notice their cameos though, and yep, they are the CUTEST children in the world! I always wonder if PJ and Fran are going to, or have already, read them the Hobbit - it just seems so fitting to have one big hobbity family! I'm sure that PJ will probably find some place to slot them in in ROTK! I'm hoping, anyway! I would love to see a little documentary on them! That would just be so cute! Well, its off to the EE to try and find that now!
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 07:05
Yeah, they're really, really cute! Aww, they're irresistible, it's really fun with that kind of trivia - you know, Viggo's son Henry is in TTT.
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 11:22
I spotted PJ and his kids in all of those APART from the Wild Men of Dunland, I always look but I never can see him.

I always couldn't find him either. THan I read an interview with PJ where he said he wasnted to be in that scene but he didn't have the time so he never got in.

This isn't LOTR related, but I was watching the Frighteners the other night and I'm pretty sure I saw PJ as this Goth guy in a T-shirt with 'Death' (the person) on it. He had piercings and everything! really funny.
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 08:29
I'm on the kids during the 'Where is the horse and the rider?' speach. The one with the sheild to be exact.

You are soooo lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have DIED to be in LOTR!
MaryB
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 11:22
In The Two Towers when Aragorn is sitting on the stairs at Helms Deep he looks across at the two boys, one is Haleth, (whom he will speak with) and next to him is Henry, Viggo's son. But the boy that plays Haleth is Calum, who is Philipa Boyen's son.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 11:55

You are soooo lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have DIED to be in LOTR!

dje..ne..gya..!!!! oh yeah.. you guys probably don't know my wierd language, so... *frustrated*...
I woulda loved to be in LotR had I been obsessed with it when they were actually doing it... I sorta am a movie convert, so I wasn't especially obsessed b4 the movies.. I don't like to act, but it woulda been so cool to be an extra! Lucky Eothain!

One question... who the heck thought of putting PJ in bree standing in the rain eating a carrot!? I mean, PJ himself probably wanted to be in it, but why is he standing in the rain eating a carrot? *eyebrow quirk*

I don't have much to add... but I heard somewhere that Henry Mortenson was shown as Aragorn's child? but the only place where a child was shown was in arwen's vision of the future, and that kid was ten years old at most... so I don't think they got that right
LadyAlassiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 01:35
I never really saw Alan Lee! I never would have guessed!
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 07:06
One question... who the heck thought of putting PJ in bree standing in the rain eating a carrot!? I mean, PJ himself probably wanted to be in it, but why is he standing in the rain eating a carrot? *eyebrow quirk*

Actually, he was supposed to be lighting a pipe during that scene, but since it was raining outside he couldn't really get the pipe lit, so they gave him a carrot to chomp on.

Frodofancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 10:22
A cameo no one has mentioned yet is a very brief shot in The Two Towers EE of Hannah Wood, Elijah's sister. She is seen hurrying into the Glittering Caves at Helm's Deep. She's wearing a long blond wig and a raggedy gown.
Henry Mortensen also appears in RotK as an orc warrior (got to beat up on Dad!) and, of course, the Tolkien connection with Royd Tolkien as a Gondorian soldier.
And let's not forget, Miss Alexandra Astin as Elanor, Sam and Rosie's daughter!

[Edited on 8/3/2004 by Frodofancier]
Pippin_Girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 11:36
I have never, ever been able to find PJ in Helm's Deep. (call me a stupid fat hobbit) I heard that he is a soldier that raises his arm and yells, but I don't know for sure if that's right. Could somebody please tell me exactly where to find him? I would be forever grateful.
LuthienReborn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2004 01:27
I love Alexandra she is just adorable. What's great is that my first grade teacher's husband's cousin is Sean Astin's wife. I just found that out from my mom who works at the same school. I never thought such interesting ppl were in LaPorte! My friend's actually met him before, I'm so jealous! Well, back on topic, no one's mentioned it I don't think but Billy Boyd can be seen playing in the band during the hobbit party. He should release a CD.
MaryB
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 04:24
Pippin's Girl, not sure I can explain it well, but a trap door sorta opens up and a guy hurls down a spear, thats PJ - he's on the ramparts above the door, when the Orcs are charging the gate. Hope that helps
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 10:22
A cameo no one has mentioned yet is a very brief shot in The Two Towers EE of Hannah Wood, Elijah's sister. She is seen hurrying into the Glittering Caves at Helm's Deep. She's wearing a long blond wig and a raggedy gown.
Henry Mortensen also appears in RotK as an orc warrior (got to beat up on Dad!) and, of course, the Tolkien connection with Royd Tolkien as a Gondorian soldier.
And let's not forget, Miss Alexandra Astin as Elanor, Sam and Rosie's daughter!

[Edited on 8/3/2004 by Frodofancier]

I'm not sure Alexandra qualifies as a cameo, since she's credited at least in IMDB. Henry isn't, I think.

Wasn't the veiled Gondorian woman at Helm's Deep Fran Walsh?
Precious!
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 08:47
Rick Porras, Co-Producer, appears as one of the two soldiers in Minas Tirith when Pippin lights the beacon in RotK. He is the one without a helmet and has long black hair.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 05:05
cool, I read a interview at an "Erestor" site... can't even remember who did him... any way, it explained that a ton of the cast got in the movie as extras... He (nameless actor-ish guy) was a camera runner, i do believe, who just happened to be in the right place at the right time... *grin* so, that's probably how they ended up with a lot of these.
Funny about PJ eating a carrot... always wondered about how that happened... *grin*:dizzy:
Oh, and anyone know if they (they= random person) were telling the truth about Henry being the kid shown in arwen's vision? maybe I was wrong, and that kid was older... maybe they're wrong, which i think more likely, and that kid was not Henry M.
léfalí
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2004 07:40
glory2 the kid in RotK is not Viggo Mortensen's son. I've heard that, too, so I concentrated really hard to find him in the credits, and it says a completely different name there. No Mortensen.

Did you know that one of the beacon watchers in Minas Tirith is one of the Weta department?

On the TTT EE someone says in an interview that it's amazing how everyone working on the movies could have come straight from M-E cos they all looked so... so.

Pippin'sGirl, I think the Helm's Deep cameo of PJ is only in the EE, maybe you watched the theatrical edition looking for him? I remember a different shot there from the theatrical edition, but I may be wrong.

And isn't that Henry too, throwing rocks at the Uruks? The shot before or after PJ's?

I think this cameo-thing is part of creating the special spirit of the movies. You know, having your whole families working with you and everybody involved at many levels. That makes it very personal, even though it was such a huge production, I think.
sirigorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:22
I heard that somewhere, PJ's in RotK. Do any of you know where that is?
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 05:27
The baby Rosie is holding at the end of ROTK is Sarah McLeod's (who plays Rosie) daughter
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 06:13
I heard that somewhere, PJ's in RotK. Do any of you know where that is?

He is the captian of one of the Corsiar ships as Elrond is explaining the threat from the sea to Aragorn. He has whip in hand and is looking very evil.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 21, 2007 01:35
He (PJ) is the captian of one of the Corsiar ships as Elrond is explaining the threat from the sea to Aragorn. He has whip in hand and is looking very evil.

Actually PJ is the bosun. He gets shot at the beginning of the RotK scene where Aragorn siezes the ships. Other than the captain, the rest of the crew are Weta people including Rick Porras, Gino Asavedo and Richard Taylor himself. PJ had to get taken out early so he could get back behind the camera. LOL
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2007 02:42
In RoTK, the scene when Pippin lights the Beacon, there are two guards. One of them stands up (long hair - no helmet), that's Christian Rivers - not Rick Porras as was said in page 1.

Thanks

[Edited on 21/3/2007 by Ilandir]
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2007 09:02
Howard Shore was in RotK watching the drinking contest of Legolas and Gimli in Rohan.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email