Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Minka
Council Member
Send Message
Post Vote now for your Favorite unjustly forgotten Character!
on: March 19, 2003 12:00
(moved from CF)

Ok people, so we have all been to the ‘who is your favorite fellowship member?’ and ‘who is hotter?’ polls sometime in our forum searching. So, it is with that in mind that I have decided to do something a little bit different.

My proposal:

Who is your favorite character who was so harshly and unreasonably left out of the movies? Who do you just want to hug and tell them that everything will be alright and that the world does not normally work on such injustices?

Ok, so I got a little bit worked up there, but I am a large supporter of Elrohir (and well, I guess I also support Elladan then) and I feel that it was so unfair that he and his twin are going to be left out of the movies altogether!

So, this is my feeble attempt at giving them and a handful of other well loved characters a degree of the recognition that they so truly deserve!

[Edited on 19/3/2003 by Minka]

[Edited on 20/3/2003 by Yano]
Elrohir
7% (1)
Elladan
6% (1)
Glorfindel
44% (8)
Tom Bombadil
25% (5)
Goldberry
2% (5)
Old Man Willow
2% (5)
Other - and who
13% (2)
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Vote now for your Favorite unjustly forgotten Character!
on: March 19, 2003 06:28
They should have at least left in Glorfindel. It would make the Flight to the Ford scene more interesting, I think and would give Frodo his scene at the Ford. True, it does stick in Arwen, but Glorfindel was a favorite character of mine in the book.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: March 19, 2003 06:34
Hmmm, isn't there a poll just like this in one the books forum?
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 19, 2003 07:44
Old Man Willow...that was really the part of the book where they found themselves in dire danger *dun dun dun* and I really liked it.
xoelvenprincess424ox
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 10:01
I can't believe they left out Tom Bombadil! How could you leave him out???
BoromirsBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 04:30
Glorfindel! *Glorfy is hiding behind keyboard* Hey you, get out where people can you see you!
*pulls him out and drops him in a heap* He should have been in the movie because...well...because I say so.

*Glorfy is sulking*
Alagdalwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 04:45
I think that they should have left Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil in the movie. Both are very important roles in the happening on events. For instances, the hobbits all receive their swords/daggers in the barrow-downs when Tom saves them and tells them to take them because they might need them. Plus it's important that people that haven't read the books to know that Tom and Goldberry can resist the power of the Ring better than anyone or anything.

And with Glorfindel, he was the reason that Frodo got across the river into Rivendell, it's important that people know that Frodo wasn't going to puch the horse onward when the Raiths were coming towards him. Glorfindel called out to Asfaloth and told him to run, to get Frodo to safety. I still can't believe that they gave that part to Arwen.

That's just my opinion. You may think differently, and I'm cool with that.
LadyElrinda
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 05:58
How dare they leave out Glorfy! He's 3 on my top 10 fav characters! He would have made the ford scene interesting. But then again we might have had a whole bunch of screaming Glofindel fans on our hands right now. Anyone agree?
BoromirsBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 07:58
How dare they leave out Glorfy! He's 3 on my top 10 fav characters! He would have made the ford scene interesting. But then again we might have had a whole bunch of screaming Glofindel fans on our hands right now. Anyone agree?

Yep, I agree with ya! We would *most* likely have screaming Glorfy fans, and *most** likely I would be one of 'em
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 11:30
Farmer Maggot & Fattie Bolger & Bill Ferny

I know neither was really left out, but their characters were cut out ruthlessly and mutilated: Maggot's an Evil Farmer who chases Hobbits across corn fields; Fattie's an old raskal and Bill is only suggested in the people in Bree
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 07:24
Hey merry doll!! Sing a merry song!!

How could they leave Iarwain Ben-adar (Tom Bombadil for the non-Elves lol) out? Such a colorful, merry, IMPORTANT figure. And I would have loved to see Goldberry too.

Alaere
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 12:14
I will be so mad if they leave out Elrohir :angry: (and Elladan of course). He's my favorite twin and I like him, especially after reading a few good fanfics about them.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2003 12:12
I wish they kept the barrow wights in. they are so creepy in the book!!! i also like glorfindel BUT Arwen makes that part so awesome so i like her in it
ChildofIlluvatar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2003 04:57
I was thinking about that too.

I would have loved to have seen Tom in the movie.

Tolkien's biggiest mystery in all of his books, and Peter Jackson doesn't put him in the movie?!

Anyways, gosh, the Barrow-Whites part would have been really scary to have seen on the big-screen.

It was scary enough in the book.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: March 23, 2003 06:09
I missed the Barrow Wights, too, since that left out the whole "how they got their weapons" thing, but leaving Glorfindel (with HIS horse) out is the one I take offense at... :angry: :angry: that was just mean!!! :cry: To have given Asfaloth to Arwen.... Bah!!
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 06:48
I agree with Elerrina, I know that they wanted Arwen to have a bigger role but did they have to give her GLORFINDEL'S HORSE??
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 07:41
How could they leave out Glorfindel! I mean they gave Asfaloth to Arwen,
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 07:52
Well, i would like to see the Old Forest and the barrow downs, however i'm not so sure about Tom and all his singing...
Figwit
Send Message
on: April 05, 2003 08:12
never got the Asfaloth problem... I'm sure Glorfindel wouldn't have minded to lend the She-elf his horse
Erhithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2003 04:19
Oh, Glorfindel, absolutely. But who could they possible cast to play such a individual...no mere mortal man could possibly due him any justice...He is almost beyond our comprehension ...
ElvenBeauty321
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2003 02:01
they should have left Glorfindel in the movie. he really brings together that scene. and i agree that they shouldn't have given Arwen his horse! i mean, i guess they had to introduce Arwen as important and have her have the great, magical entrance, but they could have found some other way....
and Elrohir and Ellandan would have been nice to see too. ive read great fanfiction about them, they seem so important. they deserve a spot in the movie.
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2003 09:48
It was a really close tie for me between Glorfindel and Tom. But I considered and had to vote Tom because (Don't kill me, Glorfy fans, I swear, I really am one of you!!) the part with Arwen at the river worked pretty well. My thing is not really Tom himself, but everything that got left out with him: Goldberry, and the Old Forest, and the Barrow-Wights. Tom would've been good because as someone said before, he is the biggest mystery in the whole book!! Especially the part where he puts on the Ring and doesn't disappear.
Ruiner
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2003 10:59
I really don't understand why everyone likes Tom Bombadil so much. He wasn't even an integral part of the story.

I voted for Glorfindel.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 10, 2003 02:27
Farmer Maggot & Fattie Bolger & Bill Ferny

I know neither was really left out, but their characters were cut out ruthlessly and mutilated: Maggot's an Evil Farmer who chases Hobbits across corn fields; Fattie's an old raskal and Bill is only suggested in the people in Bree

agreed!

weve seen far more elves than were ever mentioned in the books. though i wouldnt mind seeing the twins (speaking of which... how do you know they are definately not in RotK..) and far to few hobbits for my liking

definately didnt vote tom, was glad to see that bit cut.
Figwit
Send Message
on: April 10, 2003 07:48
thanks for backing me up there k

a lot of people seem to think I'm doing this just to annoy everyone, but I really didn't miss Glorfindel that much - I had a problem with Arwen being altered (in the beginning) more than with Glorfindel being cut out

it's just that the Hobbits were so crucial to the story: Fatty who's so courageous and loyal, and the warmth of Farmer Maggot... like k said, we've seen far too many Elves already

but I'd like to see the Twins too
Ohtarie
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2003 05:04
Fattie Bolger! Awww.
M_Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 08:48
I had to vote Glorfindel, but Tom was close behind. It didn't fit Arwen's character to save Frodo.And Treebeard kinda did the Old Man Willow thing.

[Edited on 22/5/2003 by M_Brandybuck]
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 10:55
See, I never completely understood the whole up-in-arms attitude about Tom. See, I liked him, he was funny, he was a very interesting prospective, but he was NOT essential to the plot in anyway. Now in a book this doesn't matter, you can make it as long as you want. But in a movie you would have to cut corners for such things. So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is: Did you want them to cut something else instead?

They can't have everything, I'm afraid that's just the long and short of it, and to me it made sense to cut him.

In a similar way *ducks* It made sense to cut Glorfindel. He was not a needful character, and they needed to introduce Arwen as soon as possible to keep her character flowing without a clumsy introduction in Rivendell. Added to this is the fact that, quite often, it is better to have one character more fully devoloped than have a whole bunch of (let's face it) Cameo-Appearence characters that are only ever able to be half-devoloped.

For myself, I sort of miss the twins, like ladylirenel said, I've read several fics with them and it gave me a predisposition to like their characters.

But I HAVE to agree with Figwit *grin* I would have liked to have Bill Ferny. I wanted him to get clunked in the head with an apple

~*~Lady Arwen
idril_celeb
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 11:40
i think it was unfair to take glorfindel of the movie!!!:cry: why liv have to replaced him? and she used asfaloth! its so unfair and all my friends that haven't read the book dont understand that Glorfindel takes frodo to Rivendel hate that!!! hate that!!!
ok, Elladhan and Elrohir should act more in the movie too!
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 12:11
why liv have to replaced him? and she used asfaloth!

Well, it wasn't his horse you know. He actually lost it in a bet.

No I'm quite serious. Arwen had a bet with Glorfindel that Elladan wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Aragorn and Halbarad. Glorfindel felt sure he would and in the end the bet was Glorfindel's horse against Arwen's Evenstar.

It was an unfortunate fact for the bewildered Elladan and the even more unfortunate Glorfindel that Halbarad and Aragorn had both fallen into some trouble on the way over, and besides being both bloody they were both covered in mud (which on Rangers can make their distinguishing features very hard to tell) Elladan thought Halbarad was Aragorn and Elrohir thought Aragorn was Haldir and in the end Arwen won the bet and Glorfindel's horse.

So actually there are some people who believe Glorfindel actually may have taken Arwen's horse orginally.

You don't believe me do you? Ah well, your loss

~*~Lady Arwen
Frodo_007
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 08:21
i really missed Tom Bombadil!!!i wish they hadnt left him out!!!
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 12:03
I voted for Glorfindel.
Arwen wasn't sooo bad in that part but I don't really like her taking Glorfindel's horse. (I know this has been said a million times before but I agree wholeheartedly.) It seems a bit like, hey, lets shove Glorfindel out because who needs him, but Arwen can take his horse, I mean obviously she doesn't have any horse of her own at all. -_-;; Yeeeah.

Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 03:35
Definitely Glorfindel...Before I knew about Arwen in the movie, I was so looking forward to seeing Glorfindel, but alas, there was Arwen instead. Sort of disappointing.

I AM however, extremely glad that Tom Bombadil was NOT in the movie. I think that would have been a *little* much for all those viewers who hadn't seen the movie. I mean, there's so much to grasp, that a big man in yellow boots who sings nonsense and has Goldberry would just be over the top. He's actually one of my least favorite characters in the entire works of Tolkien.
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 06:45
They should have left Glorfindel in the movie. Definitely.
Well, Tom Bombdil is like an own story, so it would be strange to just let him "pop up" there. It would have take a long time, and FotR wasn't that exciting in the beginning either. Of course, it would be great to look at Tom Bombadil, but it would be hard to cast him. Who? No, it's a character who differs a lot from the rest of the movie, so there PJ was right.
But where are Glorfindel? Arrgh - I'm going crazy about that.:evil:
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: May 26, 2003 03:05
hey what about quickbeam? i thought that without him there to talk to the entmoot went by too quickly even though it kept cutting to other bits of the fellowship. ok so he wasn't vital and it would have taken a long time to introduce him but i would have liked to see him. or if he was one of the ones marching on isengard then i would of liked him to have a speeking part.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email