The happy elves sang and laughed.
Lostlondwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Word Of The Week in Quenya
on: May 28, 2003 07:32
Hi!

I am new here..
So I am wondering where you have learnt all this...
I mean your sooooo good.. I don't understand a thing, only a few words, like namárië, and.........
heheh.. that is indeed a lot... please let me no.. so maybe I can join you at the "Word of The Week in Quenya" in a few years.
Well probably more than a few years.

Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 09:25
Aiya Lostlondwen!
You´ve come to the right place! You can start learning Quenya by joining the "lesson discussion", start with the thread called "Lesson 1" - it has a short grammar summary, vocabulary and exercises. I also highly recommend that you download the Quenya course from www.ardalambion.com, since that´s where most of us have learnt most of what we know (and our lesson discussions are based on that course). And you don´t have to study for years to join "the word of the week" - some weeks will be enough for you to be able to form simple sentences, don´t worry So, see you at "Lesson 1"
Namárië!
mireandune
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 02:19
Aiya. Ok, I'll add to the word of the week; I'll go with:

I Naucor valini ihírier i malta.
The happy dwarves have found the gold.

And maratuldë to those brand new to Quenya! (Believe me, I'm no expert, either!)
Quesseriël
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2003 01:31
Sorry all - i'm really late. :cry: i've been really busy with getting ready for various trips.

Word of the Week - har, harë (near)

Úvan harë ata mennai Cermië canta rasta. Namárië!
I will not be near again until July 16. Farewell!
LadyMeg
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 08, 2003 01:31
Aiya,

I hope this sentence is correct for Word of the Week!

[b]To be near you is but a dream
An na harë le ná nan o olórë[/u]

Namárie - LadyMeg

gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: July 10, 2003 01:25
Hello Quenya folks!

I don't know who's 'next' on the list for the Quenya 'word of the week', but I promised Lady_Lorwen I'd help her out for the summer....

So- I'm 'bumping' this back to the first page in hopes that this can get going again!

Gwendeth
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Kieron
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2003 08:42
does anyone want to post a word of the week? i would like to get it going too ^_^
Turinqui
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2003 08:34
Ok, since this hasn't been done for a while an it looked interesting, I thought I'd just add a word, hope that's ok
calima(adjective) - bright.

I Eldar hendu nar calimë
The Elves eyes are bright.
I'm not too sure if that's right or not so any corrections woul be helpful

[Edited on 21/7/2003 by Turinqui]
Kieron
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2003 09:18
hi turinqui ^_^

there is an official list of people to give a word of the week, but no-one seems to be giving one, so yours is as good as any!

---

about your sentence:

to express possession, in quenya you usually change the possessor noun into an adjective, by putting it into the 'possessive-adjectival "case"' (or whatever you want to call it - that one's the most common name for it but it's a fairly inaccurate and misleading name...).

in this case the possessor is eldar; the adjective form of elda is eldava, and the adjective form of eldar is eldaiva.

in addition, since this is an adjective it should really agree in number with hendu, so it becomes eldaivë. (this seems to be optional, as not everyone is in agreement on this point - but tolkien himself said that this was always an actual adjective, so i think it should agree in number).

another small point - when a noun is governed by a genitive or by a possessive-adjectival-whatever, it is usually counted as already "defined" and you don't need to use the definite article with it. you can use the definite article with a genitive noun, for example. entulessë i arano, 'the return of the king', with a definite article before the genitive noun but not before the noun it governs. but i don't think you can put a definite article before a noun in the possessive-adjectival-whatever, again because tolkien said it was itself an adjective, and you can't usually use definite articles with adjectives. (so for example i don't think you could say i eldaivë hendu, because that would be using a definite article on an adjective.)

and, finally, nar is completely correct, but in quenya it is usually missed out.

so (after all that writing!! ^_^ ) i think 'the elves' eyes are bright' would be eldaivë hendu calimë, though eldaivë hendu nar calimë would be fine ^_^

[Edited on 29/7/2003 by Kieron]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email