Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post Book Club Questions/Comments/Concerns?
on: April 19, 2003 12:50
I thought it might be a good idea to open up this thread to all who participate in Book Club to give you an outlet of feedback. Remember that if you have a problem or an idea of how to change something, I can't do anything if I don't know about it so brooding in silence is a bad plan. So here you can tell me what's on your mind. What comments would you like to make? How about concerns? "Trig, I think that maybe we should slow down the pace a little because a lot of us are having trouble keeping up." or "Trig, I really think we can improve Book Club by leaps and bounds if we do this..." These are fine. It's alright to pipe up if you think something's wrong, I won't bite :evil:.

Just remember, if you guys have a question regarding any literature that we're tackling...not in this thread. Once we get going I'll create another thread for questions pertaining to literature. Questions you'd want to ask in here are 'How do I help out?' or 'I don't have the amount of time I need to keep up, is there something I can do?' Etcetera etcetera. No Book questions. Book *Club* questions
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
Post RE: Book Club Questions/Comments/Concerns?
on: April 20, 2003 02:17
I was just thinking, maybe there could be some sort of group leader. Someone who really knows a lot about what the reading assignment. This person would be a week ahead and would make up questions and 'things to think about' with at the beginning of each assignment to help everyone along with the reading and maybe spark a discussion for the following week. (Especially helpful for the Silmarillion. ) For me, whenever I try to read some sort of French story or novel or something, it's always helpful for me to have questions or even just statements to follow as I'm reading. Even if I understand it, it helps more. Instead of just reading everyweek, it might help to have something to go along with it...
Trignifty
Send Message
on: April 20, 2003 03:53
Actually that's been the plan, to have some people go read ahead and make up questions for other people to focus on while they read their 'assignment'. Unless I get a few volunteers that I think would fit the bill quite nicely, so to speak, I'll be approaching some members about the possibility of becoming leaders and getting together once or twice a week in chat or by email and brainstorming questions. By all means if anyone is looking to help out in that area, please let me know.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: April 21, 2003 09:03
well, Trig, for the Hobbit or LOTR, I'd be happy to help out (having read these more times than I can count)

I just wanted to pop in to applaud this initiative: I liked the old version, and with my favourite guruswamiperson monotering it, I have the distinct feeling I'll like this one too
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2003 01:00
I'll volunteer to be a ahead reader for any of the books, except Lost Tales, as I've only read that once.

This is an excellent idea, and I wish it'd been in place sooner. Ever noticed that when you go through a book fast (like I tend to do, being a fast reader *blush*) you miss so much detail and character development? This system will force me to slow down and smell the proverbial roses. Thanks again!
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: April 21, 2003 02:17
I could do any of the LotR books, but other than that, I have only read the other books a few times. But I have read LotR too many times to count. I love the story, and plot and characters.
numtelpion
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2003 08:02
I'd be glad to do LOTR or the Hobbit as well
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: April 21, 2003 11:38
I think that is a really nice idea, I'd love to help.

In general the Book Club idea is smashing- both for people new to Tolkien and those familiar with his works.

Just a question: When you choose a book, would it be a-chapter-a-week or something like that? Or would it be flexible, depending on the length or significance of that chapter? (Or even how much Legolas there is in it),so people who are waiting for something in particular to discuss may know when to pop in, or those who are not going to be around for a while will know how much he/she is missing.
Trignifty
Send Message
on: April 22, 2003 12:23
Yes, the length of the 'assignment' will of course depend on the length and difficulty of the chapters. We will most likely start off with one chapter, maybe two per week..which, believe me, I know this seems like it's almost nothing to some of you but the club was tried once before and even one chapter a week was difficult for a lot of people...you busy bees you. Anyhow, if the pace is too slow or fast...adjustments will be made. And the assignment will be posted...so everyone can see what's coming for the week.
Tigerlily_Burrows
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2003 07:18
Hi I am a new poster here and I was wondering if someone could tell me what book you are reading now and how can I join the book club
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: April 24, 2003 11:54
Tigerlily_Burrows, the book club hasn't started yet. We're still trying to figure out what book to read first. Check out the What to read first thread to join in on the discussion, which is very torn at the moment.
Islarin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2003 01:26
I'm hoping for LotR. I just started reading Fellowship of the Ring and would love to get involved in a study group.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2003 11:15
Hey!!! I'd love to help!!!
At the moment I'm reading The Silmarillion for the first time and I'm absolutely loving it!!!
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: April 26, 2003 06:14
I'd love to help out by reading ahead. I absolutely love to read and started to re-read LOTR in Janurary, I'm starting over again, so it will be a quicker read (plus the fact I'm a speed reader that can remember little details helps a lot ).
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2003 09:14
Well, I don't have any valuable comments yet, I just wanted to say this sounds like a fantastic idea! I've participated in studies in other groups, and they have always been very useful, fun and instructive. I think that that will also be the matter here, so I will definitely try to participate as much as I can, even though I don't always have that much time. I am looking forward to it already!

Alaere
Firstbourne
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2003 09:32
You don't have to "join" book club, do you? It is just to where you can be in it.. right? There isn't qualifications or anything...?

Also, is there going to be a member list of who is all in book club and what books they have read with the "club" and such. The date of becoming a member and all that good stuff. Just curious..

And.. I was wondering what kind of positions there is. That kind of goes along with being a member and stuff with the book club. I hope I am kind of making sense, if I sound funny, let me know and I can clarify myself.
Trignifty
Send Message
on: April 29, 2003 05:16
The only way to 'join' Book Club is to read along with the club and participate in the discussions. There is nothing official saying 'I....Am in Book Club' or anything to that extent so there will be no list saying 'such and such joined book club on this date and has read this...' because we're not going at different paces, just one big one. Also, there are no real 'positions' (other than me. Go Me.). If you'd like to help out, send me a PM.
McDLT
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2003 02:32
Just was wondering when you were going to change the Book Club description on the Board Index. It says you are still thinking about starting a Club soon, but as I know see you already have.

Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 09, 2003 09:59
I thought of something interesting to do for the book club. We could have a quiz for the end of each chapter. I would be willing to come up with questions, and I'm sure other's would too. Multiple choice questions could be done in a 'poll' format. What do you all think?
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 09, 2003 10:28
This is just my opinion, of course, but I am reading the books this time to enjoy them with other people. I think a quiz is too much like school and would, for me, take the enjoyment out of it. It's just fun to discuss them in an open forum like this. :love:
Trignifty
Send Message
on: May 10, 2003 03:45
Nenya presents a very good point. Our purpose is not to test the knowledge of LotR, but to enhance it. However should this option come along later, we need not use the poll format. Hey. You're talkin' to the Games Admin here. If you're going to do a quiz, do it correctamundo

But I will keep this in mind, especially if it looks like quite a few members are overlooking some small but important details.
Keterai
Palantír/Collectibles Mod, & Ninja Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: May 10, 2003 05:53
I think that it's going good. The pace is fine.

You said that I could read ahead and stuff...I have the questions and stuff, do you want me to PM you them?

Y'all should see my book, I've started to annotate it. I feel like I'm back in lit class or something LOL.
Trignifty
Send Message
on: May 10, 2003 06:10
Yes, if you or anyone have any questions you'd like to contribute, just send them my way. It's a little hard to reply back to all the people who say they're interested in helping, so just..flat out: if you want to contribute, create a question, send it to me and hopefully it will be used.
Figwit
Send Message
on: May 10, 2003 09:10
Can I send in question faaaaaar ahead? 'Cause I'm already at the Council and I didn't find any good questions up till now...
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 06:04
Who is eligable and how can someone become a mod?
I was interested in becoming a book club mod, but I guess you wouldn't need another one yet.
Trignifty
Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 02:43
Figgy, I would really rather you waited until we're closer. Reread the Old Forest chapters with keen eyes for symbolism in particular characters. But you do not have to if you don't feel a good question can be formed.

ETBF...Don't worry about anything regarding mods until the need arises.
Figwit
Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 08:04
Figgy, I would really rather you waited until we're closer. Reread the Old Forest chapters with keen eyes for symbolism in particular characters. But you do not have to if you don't feel a good question can be formed.

my problem is: if I make up a question, half of the time it's already with a certain answer in mind... but I'll try... I just got an idea, as a matter of fact
sofia
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 11:53
I would just as soon leave out information not yet divulged, until we get to that point (at which time we can return to an older topic.) e.g. instead of bringing up Narya in context of the fireworks, we could bring up the fireworks in context of Narya. 'Zat make any sense?
Trignifty
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 01:48
while that does make sense and normally I would agree with you, Narya isn't a huge focus at all in the LotR series. As the need was felt to include Narya in an explanation, I allowed that. But you're absolutely right, information from later in the books should not be shared until it needs to be.
Glofin
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2003 02:48
Hello, I am just trying to figure out where to start, I think I would like to join the book club but I am a bit lost. My favourite thing to do is to talk about Middle Earth in Depth. And I would like to go chapter by chapter. Is this the right place to do that? I have been reading as much as I can on this tread but I'm still lost. Please tell me what's going on.
Thanks

Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2003 04:18
Hi, We started only a few weeks ago and what we do is read a chapter a week. Trig then posts questions which we discuss. There is no way to officially "join" the book club, but it is easy enough to read along. Our current 'reading assignment' is Three is Company, Chapter 3 of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Trig hasn't given us questions for this chap yet, or a new assignment, but if you read slightly fast you can read the three chapters we have done before the next assignment. If you wish to have a particular question put on the boards, PM it to Trig and she should get it up there and you and all of us can discuss. You can check out the question boards, maybe there's a discussion you'd like to join.

On a different note, I think you might like to discuss in a different area (not on CoE). Barnes and Noble University is currently running a course on LotR. It's not to late to join... it started May 7, but runs way into June. It only goes that long so everyone can get into the discussions. If you are interested in the lessons, you can do them in 1-2 weeks- they're short. As to the discussions, just log on and check them out! You have create an account and select your course, but it's free. If you want to check it out or if you have questions PM me, please.
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 05:45
Just a little thought: we haven't had questions for chapter three yet... Are these on their way and will they be posted when Trignifty is back? Or was the chapter that boring that there aren't any questions?

Alaere (feeling a little bit confused)
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 10:24
Questions for Chapter 3 will be posted by Trignifty when she gets back, until then we are starting on Chapter 4 ( posted).

Chapter 3 boring...??? nah, we get our first glimpse of the elves..

Enjoy!!
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 12:09

Chapter 3 boring...??? nah, we get our first glimpse of the elves..

Yeah, and the first encounter with Sauron's forces. There are a few firsts I could point out, but I guess this isn't the right thread for that...:blush:
McDLT
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 05:15
Just wondering when the next questions will be coming?

Anxious to learn something new.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email