Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
MrsDodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
Post Artemis Fowl
on: April 23, 2003 08:24
Has anyone else read it? The new book comes out in early May!!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: Artemis Fowl
on: April 23, 2003 03:19
theres a third book coming out?

ive read both Artemis Fowl books... they were fun reading. i went through a bit of a kids book phase a while back and picked it up cus it was cheap and the cover was sparkly (ok ok so im not that shallow, i heard it was fun to read) and really enjoyed it. ive read both books a couple of times now. i perfer book one to book two.

i espeically enjoyed translating the fairy code that ran along the pages at the bottom, was also on a sherlock holmes kick at the time i figured there were only two books in the series because the centaur code in book two didnt reveal anythign about a future book- if that makes sense

hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2003 05:52
LOL. when i say the code at the bottom I thought it was pretty interesting. but i was a bit disappointed when the code was just a summary of the book.

Well except for the "prophocey" but i have yet to read the second book, so i guess that was a good thing!

I was just a bit mystified at the code's purpose becuase at the beginning and end of the book, it said to crack the code and then go online to see where to go next....there wasn't a "next". Just a game.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 05, 2003 06:11
huh? my code was just the phrophecy for the next book. there was nothing about going on line- but then i did have the paperback and not the hardback version. there was no book summary either. it was literally just talking about the fairy king and the prediciton for how mud men and fairys would end up working together on something
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 05, 2003 02:10
so i thought there were only two books- i guess i was wrong.. walked into the shop the other day and there sat in front of me was the new artemis fowl book- so i couldnt resist.. had to buy it.

now i finished it and am translating the code at the bottom (this one is taking forever.. lots of counting involved) and i think there will be a fourth book.

whats your fave so far?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 05, 2003 02:39
sorry i started another thread... didn' tknow about this one guess i should have checked better. Anyway i :love::love::love: artemis fowl. I saw the new book in the shop beside the new terry pratchet. i couldn't decide which one to buy as i don't have enough money so i'm waiting for both to come out at the library. I didn't know that you could crack the code at the bottom... i'm not good at that sort of thing. But if there might be a fourth book i guess ill have to start saving up.
Luincamiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2003 01:17
I just got the first Artemis Fowl yesterday. We were waiting in the store for ages so I figured I'd pick up a book. My friend had mentioned something about it so I picked up that one. I was originally just going to read it while we waited, but then I got all the way to page 40 something and figurd I'd buy it. They're really interesting! I was like "wow, ok, this is a bit weird, but cool" lol
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: July 05, 2003 07:59
"Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums" Well, just thought I'd mention that! The books read like action movies, don't they? They're really enjoyable and I love the codes, but my copy of the first one is the pre-production one and the Gnommish at the bottom of it is just a line from the fairy book so I haven't read the prophecy. Centaurian you can just read, it's more like a font than a code, but the space is annoying. The Eternity Code is fine once you get used to it, but finding the middle line is a pain in the behind. I'm starting to think the books could do with something new, though. They're seeming a bit samey now.
Kiss
tangled
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2003 02:43
hmm!

i seem to be disagreeing with everyone in here when saying that i found the first artemis fowl book to be quite boring.

no, i'm not saying it wasn't imaginative and some pretty creative things included in the book, but it just didn't catch me like i was hoping it to.

does anyone agree? or know what i am trying to say?
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 10:21
i know what you mean Tangled. well not personally. i loved the books but i told a couple of my friends about it and one of them really didnt like it.

i loved them all. i had no idea there was a third then i was at the shops one day and i saw, like, a whole wall of them and it was really cheap so i had to buy it.
i didnt know you could actually work out the code at the bottom!
aparently im alot like artemis. is that a good thing or a bad thing?

i didnt think many people had actually read it.

do you know they are making an artemis fowl movie?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 10:24
They're making a movie? When's it out? who's playing artemis?
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 10:33
im not sure about who is playing who but i think it will be out towards the middle of next year. not sure though. i should go find out some more.
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 10:39
found out very little. its coming out summer 2004 and it will be directed by Lawrence Guterman.
:love: cant wait! :drool:
MrsDodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2003 04:16
A movie? AH! Who's gonna play Artemis? Tom Felton! Tom Felton!! He's so cute!!:love:
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2003 06:22
how do you crack the code thing at the bottom of the page?
where do you get the translation for the 3rd book???
i really wanna work it out.:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
haldirluv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2003 04:23
There's a third book?? I didn't know that!! I'm so behind the times!!

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 19, 2003 12:45
nazgul7- in all the books htere is a peice of writing that uses the code... you can work it out easily from there.

the first book- the fairy creed, that paragraph thats shown and translated by artemis.. that is the key to the fairy code- it doesnt contain all letters, but it contains enough.

the second book- that is super easy.. the letters mostly look like real letters, if you kind blur your eyes a bit you can mostly see what the words are.

the third book- ick lots of lines plus there is a middle line thing like some letters are 3 bars above the middle and some are 3 below the middle and some are one in the middle and one either side.. its pretty complicated. im only halfway thorugh it myself, but i can guess what it says.

Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2003 02:24
thanks k!!!!!

does anyone else think there will be a fourth book????
i think there will be. HOPEFULLY!!!
:love::love::love::love::love:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 20, 2003 02:05
theres definately a fourth book planned... hee hee i _think_ i know the plot too

*spoilers for book 3*

well i should imagine artemis will turn back into not very nice scheming little kid who basically rediscovers the fairy world.. he thinks his mind was wiped cus he finds all the clues he left for himself and basicaly its him tracking down what happened... IMO at least

*end spoilers*

there is a fourth book because, in WHSmiths in the UK, when you buy book 3 you get a free copy of hte first chapter of book 4 (i missed out on this offer )
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 02:36
hmm, this is a little bit off topic but i had a dream about book 4 last night?!?!?!?!?!?! it hasnt even come out yet but i saw it. it was yellow and had a long title. hmm, it will probably be the exact opposite to that when it comes out but i had to tell someone!
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2003 05:30
I think the code for all the books was the same...guess not. Has anyone crack them yet?

The one on the cover of the 3rd book was difficult because I had to borrow it from the library and it was covered by library identification stuff.

I heard that Eoin Colfer (sp.?) wanted all Irish actors for the movie but there are rumors that Cameron Diaz might play Holly Short (I hope she doesn't though)
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2003 07:46
i hope she doesnt too! i like it when not so famous actors get roles in book to movie movies... it doesnt destroy the book image as much for me.
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 03:56
I read Artemis Fowl two years ago as a "research" thing. I always read the books I plan to buy to my nephew and nieces before deciding. And I decided against Artemis. But the reasons why is not what matters here

My only personal ... er... how can I put that? Well, I didn't like the way that fairies were portrayed at all... It wasn't convincing to me. the more I read about the technology they had, their habbits and way of living the more I was disgusted.

I'm not being too attached to the old views of these enchanted creatures. This is not my point, Rowling for instance got an elf, added domestic to its name and some goblin-ish features and she was convincing...

This bit of not-convincing made me give up reading the sequels...
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 08:12
My little brother (he's in 5th grade) read it for his book club and so I decided to read it because I had heard a lot of pretty goof stuff about it. It was soo goood! I still have read the 2nd or 3rd one but I've been meaning to go to Borders and buy all of 'em .
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 08:15
A movie? AH! Who's gonna play Artemis? Tom Felton! Tom Felton!! He's so cute!!:love:

Ditto!!
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 09:49
I've read all three, they're pretty good, but too simple
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 12:14
I've read all three, they're pretty good, but too simple

That's true, but it IS meant to be a children's (or pre-teen) book. I guess you can't really expect a whole amount of depth from it.

And to who ever thinks Tom Felton should play Artemis...I agree you all!!
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2004 08:25
I have made a vow to NEVER read the third book. And I worship the first book. The second book was lame. Artemis gets nicer. I liked him evil :evil:. My friend/enemy (it depends on what mood i'm in) Nathan told me he gets really nice in the third book. I noticed that the dwarf/goblin war was not originally made up by Eoin Colfer. Did anybody else? I cracked the code. It was fun:disco: (It took me about half a hour). I have read the first book about 60 times! I can hardly wait until the movie comes out!!!!!:heart::love::heart::love::heart::love:
Who in the world is this person you guys hope plays Artemis?
eldride
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 10:27
I can hardly wait until the movie comes out!!!!!

i never knew that there is a movie coming out!!! im so excited*jumps around with joy*

the books are amazing.... i agree with the fact that artemis was better evil:evil:

btw... does anyone know if there are more books coming out and when??

[Edited on 11/29/1988 by eldride]
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 04:21
eldride - i read on eoin's site that he had started the 4th... that was late last year though.

i'm really curious as to what fowl manor will look like in the movie. it sounds massive in the books and its a very important part of the first book in particular, i hope they do it well

i re-read them all this week so im in a very artemis-y mood
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 03:47
I've cracked all the codes, but the 2nd and the 3rd were kinda similar, except it was Artemis in the 3rd one and Foaly in the 2nd one.
I think the books are great, the 3rd one is the best, though. I can't wait till the movie comes out. I was just about to say that Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter should play him, then I read that about 20 people had said that already. Scary.
And even though Artemis is not as evil :evil: to the fairies in the 3rd book, the plots that he creates are a lot more entertaining to read.
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2004 06:21
ive worked out the first and second book codes, the third one isnt too good for my eyes :dizzy:

who ever they get to play artemis, i hope he is really good! hes such a cool charater i think it would be hard to act as him!
eldride
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 29, 2004 11:22
what cides are you talking abut?

are there 'secret' codes on the covers of each book or something (like the Da Vinci Code) ? did i miss it? mabey i'll go check it out.....

~eldride
R2D2lovesme
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 01:41
I've debated whether or not to read the books. I have, however read one of eion colfer's books called, "The Supernaturalist" I absolutely loved it! I craved it night and day! I would definately reccomend it!
Nazgul7
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 07:54
the codes are the little symbol like things on the bottom of the pages.
i couldnt resist working out the third one im half way through it.
i think i might read that R2D2lovesme, it sound really good. you should try the Artemis books, you can get very involved in them!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email