growing dry

Now in Winter's wild winds
These two stand alone
Dread of dropping
contested by
weariness
of holding
on

Willow sighed and sat up in the tall grass where her herd was grazing. Not what most Shire Folk would consider poetry, but it satisfied her well enough. Alasse wagged his little stump tail from atop the goat cart. 'Pour little dog', she thought, 'always trying to be taller. Wish his problem were mine.' She smiled and removed the watch from her waistcoat pocket, she opened it and listened for a moment to the lilting tones, then nodded. "Your stomach is always right on time."

Willow stood and looked over her shrunken herd. Market times were always the hardest, she hated saying good bye and seeing her herd so small. She pulled some cakes and a piece of jerky for Alasse from the cart. She tossed the jerky into the air and he little lithe body flew into the air after the precious meat. The little dog caught it and turned his body mid air so when he landed he could see how pleased his mistress was with his catch. Willow laughed and leaned against the cart eating her seed cakes.

Leaf bumped her elbow and lipped at her shirt sleeve. She broke a piece of her cake and handed it to the tall goat. "You glutenous thing, I won't be able to fit you in the harness you keep eating cakes like this." Grass came from the other side while she scratched behind Leaf's floppy ears and stole a large bit from the remaining cake. "Oh crepes! Grass you sneek, I won't have enough to eat between the two of you." Grass mearly bleated and pushed her head into Willow's hand for scratching. She grabbed the two goats by their collars and lead them to the front of the cart. "Well you've had your meal, now it's time to move on home." She hitched them up one at a time, seeing this Alasse leapt up and started gathering the herd. The other little goats bleated their dissatisfaction at being moved from this nice spot where the grass was sweet and the sun warm, but Alasse had them together and ready to go by the time Willow pulled her walking staff from the cart and whistled Grass and Leaf to get moving.

Alasse knew the way home and he kept those goats stepping down the road in the right direction, while Willow lead the cart behind. Her thoughts began to wander and she took the watch from her waistecoat pocket once again. She felt the smooth surface and wondered how many times her Father had opened it, and what he felt when his father had given it to him as a young lad. She popped it open, listening to the chimes and running a finger over the strange writing on the inside cover. She wondered what it said, someone told her once they thought it was an Elven script but she didn't know anything more. It was just one more thing that made her feel so out of place and different, there are not many orphans in the Shire. Much less ophans of parents who where killed by Bandits in the Breeland. She didn't remember much before she was sent to live with her Aunt and Uncle in Hobbiton. And oh, how she wondered if she looked like her parents, in all her time in the Shire she had yet to see a Hobbit like herself. She was too tall for a Hobbit- lass and her hair while wavy at the ends was mostly straight. Of course she would not wish to seem conceeded but in her humble opinion the features of her comely face were more fine than most others.

That was only the begining though, she loved to travel with her herd around the Shire when there were perfectly good commons in Hobbiton. She had wandered with her herd as far to the South East as the River Shirebourn and to the edge of the Overbourn Marshes. And of course she went to Buckland to market her goats as well as Tuckborough in the Southwest and Needlehole in the Northwest. She could get top prices in Bywater or Hobbiton if she wanted, but; she used it as an excuse to wander. As she was coming well into adulthood, though, she had begun to regret the reputation she had created. No proper young Hobbit Lad would want a wild Breelander wife to raise his eight younglings.

An overloud "Harumph" stirred Willow from her ruminitions, a local farmer on a mushroom hunt cut in front of her on the road. He gave her a dissaproving look. She shrugged and moved on slipping her watch back in it's spot. Looking down she realized what the trouble was... she was still in her trousers! "Alasse!" She whistled a stop, and grabbed a pack from her cart and dove into the bushes.

She changed hurridly into her skirt because the only thing worse than being caught with your trousers on was being caught with them off. Bebother these confounded skirts, she cursed as she laced up the back. She always traveled in trousers, much better for walking in the brush, and in Buckland where the Big folk sometime came and bought her goats she felt it better to be an odd looking Hobbit Lad on his own than an odd looking Hobbit Lass on her own. She hopped back onto the road looking a little more apropriate. It would be too late though... by the time she reached her home outside Bywater everyone from Hobbiton to Overhill would know. Of course by then she would be on stilts dressed as a big man in the company of Dwarves. Well she had been alone since her Aunt died, and she had resigned herself to the fact that she would only ever have her goats and sweet Alasse for company.

Finally they came to her little hole between Bywater and Hobbiton. She had received scornful glances from a number of the townswomen on her way through town. With great melancholy she locked the gate behind her goats and with Alasse hopping about to try and cheer her went inside to start a fire in her stove......

((ooc: This is an introduction to my character in this storyline Willow Took Undertree. This RP is going to explore ideas about the Avari, I will try and be true to Tolkien's vision, any technical advice is more than welcome. I am rereading the Simarillion right now and reading anything on Hobbits in my home Library. I am creating a skeleton for this story but I refuse to script, it takes much of the fun from it I think. As I learn more things may become more detailed. The concept is: What if some of those adventurous Hobbits who "dissapeared" actually didn't. What if some came to settle in the land of the Avari in the East. Quite obviously that is not what they call themselves they would still be calling themselves Quendi, and I suspect from their side the others abandoned them, and they probably hold a grudge because their "enlightened" bretheren did not save them from the dark powers that twisted many of their number into the Orcs. These are just some begining Ideas. After some generations of being settled in the Avari lands some Hobbits may be drawn by bedtime stories of the Shire to travel again Westard. Undoubtably some might have mixed blood, remembering that the Quendi are fair people but not as enlightened, atleast in the same way as the Eldar. Anyone interested please email me at: [email protected]

I am looking for some Hobbits to play along and hold Major Roles, also a couple of Big Folk, and of course we will need an Elf to join us somewhere along the way. The intermediate interferance of a Wizard might be welcome. Travels to take us into the Wilderland, Imlandris, The Grey Havens, The Necromancer's Tower and of course eastward to the shores of the Lake of Awakening. And anywhere that little side quests may take us. It will revolve around the inscription in Willow's pocketwatch which leads to missing stones from her Mothers pendant which is a lock to a great Library in Avari country that was locked and the key hidden. I would also like to deal with the concept of the step between Avari and Orc... A fair but foul villian, and he.. they whatever are the reason the library was locked and the pieces of the key scattered.

Almost forgot time period will be about 30 years before There and Back Again. So Bilbo is in his twenties and has no interest in adventures whatso ever. Anyone who would like to pick up and play incidental characters along the way, please try and stay in the overall tone of the story. No God Moding please keep romance to a minimum... Life is not about love it is about moving! Please either let me know if you have any good suggestions, and if you feel the story calling you join! I must warn you if too many Elves apear as main characters I will suggest a spin off I would like mostly Hobbits and Men. We will need someone either knowledgable about Eldar history as a character or an Eldar to help guide us. Dwarves in a small quantity also welcome. Perhaps we could keep it to 7 or 8 main characters at a time and however many floating and incidental characters as seem appropriate, no more than 10 traveling together at once. And if you feel like playing evil... you don't have to let us know until it's almost too late!

PLease PM me Tasar_Took_Nualda or email me [email protected] or join in! P.S. no machine gun posts please and read all previous post carefully.. please no 'Dude' speak.))

[Edited on 6/5/2003 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]

[Edited on 14/5/2003 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
Post RE: The Journey of Willow Undertree or Jewels of the Avari
on: May 06, 2003 09:40
Alasse was sleeping soundly, his little doggy stomach warm and full, his short legs sticking up in the air, his ears and lips flopped to either side. Willow pinned her skirt up to her knees and sat in the evening sun a piece of curved wood propped between her legs. She pulled out her carving tools and continued where she left off before her trip to Market. This chair should be ready to paint by weeks end and then she could collect from Mr. Thatcher for the set. It would be more than enough to fill her root cellar with grain for the goats maybe a nice Ham for herself and Alasse.

She shook her head, she was tired of making the same chairs and benches over and over again. Willow had a desk full of beautiful designs, but no I want the chairs like you made for the Harfoots.

Some local lads laughed and pushed each other as they headed for the local pub. They whispered as they passed. 'Louts, gossip will be the death of me.' And once again she wished for something exciting to happen to her.....

((to be continued???))
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2003 01:06
Rosie Gamgee walked down the road, aware of the stares and whispers of the hobbits as she passed. At nearly 5 feet tall (4'7"), she was most likely the tallest hobbit that ever lived. It didn't help that she had been kicked out of her family and had been traveling Middle Earth ever since. It was most likely the small fraction of human blood that accounted for both of her "faults". She was actually surprised that she had come back to the Shire. It was as if something had been drawing her home, though she didn't consider the Shire her home anymore.

Well, at least I'm giving them something to talk about, especially with my trousers. Rosie thought with a smile. As she headed to the nearby pub, she passed by a hobbit-girl sitting in the sun. She was taller than the average hobbit (though still much shorter than Rosie herself) and she had her skirt pinned up and sat carving a curved piece of wood. Rosie tucked her shoulder-length red-gold curls behind her ear and smiled at the girl before continuing on to the pub.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 07, 2003 03:03
'Eggshells,' Willow thought, 'That Lass is tall!' She tried to smile politely back, but she was afraid that she just gaped. After she was out of site down the road Willow popped up and let the wood and tools clatter to the porch. Alasse almost did a back flip as the piece landed next to his tail. "Oh, sorry..." And she went inside to grab her coin pouch.

The confused pooch followed, wondering if his mistress was quite alright. "And where might a traveler be headed this time of evening... I'll tell you. To the Inn, and..." She looked down at herself in her worn grease stained wood chip encrusted skirt. "Oh no this won't do. Anyways if I run down there right after her she shall know i'm following her."

Alasse cocked his head at her, very perplexed. Willow caught her breath and went to her room to change. "A clean green skirt a nice white shirt and matching vest." She transfered her Father's watch and coin pouch to her new clothes, and calmly headed into town with Alasse trotting close beside her.

As she approached the loud happy sounds of the Green Dragon Inn she stopped, and proceeded to have a conversation outloud with herself. "Folk are going to think it odd me coming to the pub. After all we only come to get a barrel now and again." She looked down at Alasse who was listening intently. "But if we don't she may be headed out of town tomorrow, then we'll never forgive ourselves will we?" The little dog wagged his tail, he really wished she wouldn't ask him questions like this.

A cute couple made their way well around Willow talking to her dog, and hurried into the pub. "Well that's done it, now we have to go in, we've been spotted and going back now will only make things worse." With that issue resolved she made her way in to the loud an bustling mob.

After being well bustled and sung at by drunked, loud Hobbits she found her way to the counter. "Ye dog'll 'ave to wait outside." The 'well rounded' Hobbit behind the counter half growled at her. She gave Alasse a whistled command to go outside. He hung his head and dodged the moving forest of feet to wait outside. "That's better, now young Willow what can I do fer ye?"

She was already craning her neck to see if she could find the Lass who passed her porch. "Oh? Um, I'll have a stout, and your kitchen still open?"

He placed the stout on the counter, "Sure is." He smiled because it was transparent the reason she was down at his pub this evening.

"And a cold chicken sandwich then also." She took a deep drink of her stout and tried to look casually around while she waited for her sandwich.

((forgot to set the time of year, I was thinking to have it be late spring starting on Sterrendei, 6 Thrimidge, and head off from there. I'll post the date each time a day passes. Oh and If there are no objections I'll be using a D&D DM table to set weather so it will be random))
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2003 07:41
((cool, random weather! ))

Rosie sat at a back table, sipping her ale and staring back at those who dared to stare at her. As she sat, she noticed a head poking slightly above the rest of the crowd. As some slightly drunk hobbits staggered out of the way, Rosie smiled broadly. The head belonged to a girl in a nice green skirt and vest, the same girl she had seen earlier. She motioned a waiter to come over.

"Who is that girl, the tall one?"

"Oh, HER." the young man sniffed in disgust. "Her name's Willow. Orphan, I think. Wears trousers and talks to her dog." Then suddenly he seemed to remember that Rosie was wearing trousers and talked to herself, so he fell silent. Rosie rolled her eyes.

"Tell her to come over." she said. He shrugged and weaved his way over. He talked to her for a moment and pointed, and Willow's eyes went wide. Rosie gave a small wave, and air-toasted Willow with her mug.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 08, 2003 10:37
Her coins were gruffly swept away from her as the Barkeep set her sandwich down. "Oh how nice."

She was just about to take a nice big bite when Boncar Stoorkind (an oafish sort who when not slobbering drunk waits tables to keep his tab down) Grunted at her. "There's a Lass there wishes to speak with you."

"Oh where?" He pointed and there she was! The lass waved and lifted her mug, and Willow guessed she must have been staring. She lifted her mug in acknowledgement, picked up her plate and headed over.

Poor Boncar was much dissapointed as Willow weaved carefully away because he had expected a coin or two for his troubles. "Strange folk... People the likes of them should take a hint and leave."

Willow began to sit down and then remembered herself. "I wonder if I... or rather if you wouldn't mind, if I shared a table with you?" not actually waiting for an answer, she sat and introduced herself. "I am Willow Took Undertree, I herd goats and have a small business carving mundane items for mundane folk." She smirked shyly. "I should probably admit that I followed you down here, well because you're taller than I am!"

She blushed her curiosity, she believed, was quite unbecoming. She admonished herself silently, 'Just because she seems a little like you doesn't mean she is.'

The lilting chimes of her pocket watch sounded and without thought Willow pulled it out, checked the time and gave it its nightly winding.

[Edited on 8/5/2003 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2003 10:58
Rosie grinned widely at the girl. She was probably not much younger than Rosie herself, in fact, she could even be a bit older. "Mundane items for mundane folk!" she laughed. "Yes, that describes the shire perfectly. This is definately not the place for someone who loves adventure." She tilted her head and watched as Willow wound a beautiful pocket-watch. "And as for you following me for my hight..." Rosie paused and took a drink, "I figured as much." She leaned forward and inquired "Now, who was that ugly chap who waited on me?" Willow rolled her eyes.

"That's Boncar Stoorkind. He's an oaf who's either slobbering drunk or waiting tables to keep his tab down." Rosie's smile disappeared.

"Well, I learned from our Mr. Stoorkind that you're in the habit of wearing breeches." she said with mock sternness. Willow's face fell, and she looked like a puppy about to be scolded. Rosie tilted Willow's chin up and smiled kindly at her. "I must admit that you seem to be more 'proper' than me, however. At least you have the decency to wear a skirt in public." she said, and stuck a leg (most definatly wearing breeches) out from under the table where Willow could see. Rosie's eyes nearly watered from her held-in mirth. Finally, someone of her own kind who identified with her, and accepted her.

But, part of her mind chastized her, That doesn't mean she approves of the types of things you do. Trapezing around all of Middle-Earth...you never know what she'll think of that! But Rosie shrugged it off and dropped a couple coins on the table. "I think, m'lass, that we should go somewhere less crowded. Then we can talk."
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 09, 2003 01:53
Abbannalis Took sat with his back towards Willow and her new aquaintance listening intently. He had always thought that Willow was the tallest Hobbit in existance, until the one with the red - gold curls walked in. By Ben's reckoning she was as tall as a Dwarf... though granted much prettier. 'Of course then again you never know,' He thought to himself thoughtfully, 'Haven't actually seen a dwarf, and perhaps there are some lass' what look good in whiskers.'

Oh he so hoped that this traveling Hobbit would tell some of her travels, so he could write them down! His heart sank as she said, "I think M'lass I think we should go someplace less crowded. Then we can talk."

"Ah yes and poor little Alasse is waiting outside alone." Then an idea struck Willow like a pebble to her head. "If you haven't laid your money down for a room at the Inn yet, I have a room. My Aunt and Uncle's old bedroom... not much fancy. But it is a feather bed, not straw. And if I was a betting Hobbit I'd wager I make the best duck egg and goat cheese omlet you've ever tasted." Her heart soared to think that she had been recognized as a fellow adventurer. As she grabbed the rest of her sandwich for Alasse, and drank down the rest of her stout she heard someone moan behind her.

"Ah bolloks, don't leave now..." 'Oops now that was plank headed for you to do you fool of a Took.' And Abbannalis turned a ruddy shade of red beneath his blond hair.

Willow turned and cocked her head at Ben's back not really knowing what to say. But Rosie gave him a half stern half bemused look and said, " Willow, me thinks we've been spied upon."

Ben turned and shrugged his embarassment and appologies.

((incase Rosie knows any Quenya Alasse means joy, though Willow doesn't really know it.))
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 03:49
Rosie laughed a bit and waved Ben off, and then she led Willow outside, though Willow was slightly wanting to give Ben a piece of her mind. When they stepped out of the pub, they were met by a happy, sweet-faced little dog.

"Ah, so this is Alasse, hm?" Rosie asked kneeling down to pet the dog. Willow nodded. "Well, I must say that you appear to be very well named, Alasse." Rosie cooed at the dog. Then she stood up and looked at Willow. "I think, now, that I'll take you up on your offer of a room."

"Oh, of course!" Willow said happily, "Here, follow me." As Willow led the way to her house, Rosie looked at her with a strange longing in her eyes.

"Willow, do you ever wish you could go on adventures?"
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 10:42
"There is nothing I dream of more vividly than going on an adventure!" Willows heart raced. 'And nothing I fear more...' "Have you been to many places? Oh how I wish to see mountains! Or the Sea! Or forests so tall they touch the clouds." She stopped short as she unlatched her gate, she must sound like just a starry eyed child to her.

As Willow pushed the front door open something else struck her... "What did you mean well named... I made that name up, it's nonsense." Alasse cocked his little head as though he knew better.

((sorry 'bout the short post, I'm Late!))
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 12, 2003 12:17
((if anyone has reference that anything here is not altogether correct please let me know your source!))

While two Hobbit lass' sat in front of a cozy fire and dreamed their little dreams, a dark fire burnt wild with Ire. Far to the East, east of the Iron mountains, east of the burning heats and chilling colds of the Platue deserts a dark soul worked in the twilight.

His name is hardly uttered by his people. It is said he was born in the moment The First Enemy was vanquished, thrown from Endor into the Void, and never darker has a soul burned and still called itself Kwende. His mother died upon his birth and his father soon after from the sorrow. His name was taken from his mother's last words, "His hair is of fire and his eyes pierce like the vacuum of the void." Never before had there been born a Kwende of red hair, and none since.

Narwagassa ((in primitive kwende Firery Red Void)) shook his hand releasing it from a head of curly brown hair. The small body fell limply to the stony ground. "Clean this mess up!" He barked at the quivering orcbred. Disgusting creatures ... I shall take care of them once I have delt with the ones who have forsaken us He stormed from the Key Chamber, leaving the orcs to the mess.

The orcbred quickly carried their orders out, all fearing the wrath of their master. What they had just witnessed had chilled even their black hearts. The Fey Kwende had been trying to open the Library for nearly one hundred years of the sun. This latest ritual was supposed to strengthen the Grauk ((Balrog)) enough so the creature could break his bonds. The Grauk was indeed strengthened but the doors held fast.

The Library had once been a place of great learning, where the Kwende and the Rock dwellers learned and made together items of wonderous qualities. When the Grauk came they strove together to destroy the fell creature, but none could. The Rock Dwellers, though ugly of face were swift of mind and together they made a device to cage the Beast and subdue him. Many died luring the Grauk to the chamber but in the end it was caged.

Now the Kwende were much satisfied and sought still to use the library along with there homely friends, but one, Narwagassa who helped build the device, wished to further study the beast. He and few like minded Kwende, along with many Rock Dwellers (for they were much interested in all things of fire) studied it and remade the device to deliver a small amount of control to a being of strong mind. They must sit upon a throne and their soul becomes intertwined with the Beast's, many died attempting this feat and any who survived were much changed from the experience.

Then travelling from the west came the Little ones. They carried with them much news and many questions. The Kwende recognized them as kindred in spirit and welcomed them to settle in there lands as equal. But a few grew jealous of the things they heard about the Kala-Kwende and their kin. Some conspired to take all that they had so then they would be Lords of Endor over Men. All the Men they had encountered in their lands were a foul sort that willingly interbred with the Orcs, twisted kin long lost.

Amongst them was Narwegassa, a dark flame grew in his belly for these enlightened Kwende. They had never given another thought to the troubles of those they called Avari. Only Ulmo and Orome ever now gave them much care, and many felt forsaken....

((I am trying to use archaic Quenya when the Kwendi are referring to themselves and such It will take getting used to for me and probably any readers. Thank you for your patience as I learn!))

[Edited on 13/5/2003 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2003 01:34
"Alasse, a nonsense word?" Rosie laughed a sweet laugh that sounded like a running brook. "On the contrary, Wil (I can call you that, right?), Alasse is no nonsense. In the holy tongue of the elves, Alasse means Joy." Willow looked at Rosie dumbfounded. "Anyway, you spoke of traveling?" Rosie sat back in her chair. "I could tell you of such things...I've seen forests of trees that talk to each other, I've stayed with elves in the last homely house, I've ridden with the Rohirrim of the south, passed over mountains that touch the sky, and seen the white city of Gondor. Which would you like to hear of first?" Rosie asked, almost as eagar as Willow herself. Suddenly, she started to feel as if THIS was the reason she had come back. That this girl was the reason she was back in the Shire. Perhaps she was to start the girl on an adventure.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 03:54
"Which first? Oh, dear me, all at once!" Willow listened intently and together the two talked and listened and snacked on sweet cakes and tea until the wee hours of the morning. They would probably have continued well into the next day if the goats hadn't called out to remind Willow it was time for their breakfast.

"Eggshells! Is it that late?..Early? I am afraid I have kept you up all night. Come and I'll show you to your room, you'll be wanting some rest and a good meal before you're off again."

Willow lead Rosie to the room and then wearily went outside to tend her duties. Funny thing she hadn't felt tired all night, and even now as her body cried for rest her mind was full of bright visions of the lands and tales Rosie had told. Alasse trotted happily beside, fully rested as he had spent the night napping alternating warm laps. Willow looked down at the small dog and wondered again from where she plucked that name.

She emptied some grain into the milking stalls and clamped the neck bars shut. As she sat at the first goat she began to hum a tune that often haunted the back of her mind. She thought she could hear her mother's voice... Indo-ninya Indo-alasse "My heart... My Joy" My mother spoke an Elven language? She went through the rest of her chores in a sort of tired haze. "What else don't I remember about my Parents?" Alasse sat up a begged for a little milk before she put it out for pick up. "I'm sorry, almost forgot."

She set out the little chipped lid for him and pour some of the fresh warm milk out. He lapped it up with much zeal. There was nothing he liked better than his morning and evening drinks... except perhaps breakfast...well and then there's always Elevensies, and lunch is quite nice too, and of course the sweet cakes with tea.. oh and then there's a bowl of stew with supper... but besides those he definatly liked his drink of fresh milk best. 'Yum' Alasse licked his lips and padded off towards the kitchen wondering if there would be eggs for breakfast.

Willow was about to head inside but she was struck with a thought. "If I leave who will take care of you?" She watched her goats as they lay muching the grass around them in the cool morning sun. Her watch chimed softly for its morning winding and she pulled it out absenlty. She ran her fingers over the Runes on the inside cover, 'Maybe she'll know what they say.'

Poor little Alasse drooped his head as he realized breakfast would have to wait and his mistress was heading to bed. Her dreams were full and colorful and somewhere in her sleep she decided it was time to leave. To find out what had happened to her parents, and why she was different.

Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 04:56
Rosie awakened after a short sleep. She was used to sleeping in short bursts, and found she couldn't fall asleep again. As she sat on the bed, she realized that she knew now what she had come back to do. After satisfying herself that Willow was asleep, she tiptoed outside, followed by a wide-awake (and hungry) Alasse.

"Well, if we get our work done, then you can have breakfast, alright?" Rosie spoke to the dog. Alasse gave a happy little bark as they headed into town.

When they got there, Rosie began making arrangements. She found a capable family with many children that were happy to care for the goats. She stopped in the market and bought loaves of good bread, cheese, and other things that would keep for long periods of time. Then, as they walked back, she and Alasse searched for a walking stick. When they had everything, they went back to the cottage. Rosie repacked her pack and packed full one for Willow that had been in the back of a closet. When she was completely ready to go, she got some cold meat out of her pack and gave a bit to Alasse.

"Here you go, little one. Now, to get your mistress up." Rosie walked determinedly to Willow's bedroom and threw open the windows. "Alright, Wil, it's time to get up. We have to get moving if we want to make good time to Bree."
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 05:54
Ben was leaning against the fence talking with a couple of friends when he saw Alasse following that tall lass... Rosie he heard her name was. 'Where is Willow?' He kept an eye on her activities, and soon realised that she and Willow were planning to leave! "By the whiskers on my Great Aunt Stoor's chin!" He raced off to borrow some money from his brother Rillan, and get his things packed. 'There is NO way I am missing this!'

"Rosie? What?" Willow blinked hard in the sudden sunlight. She sat up and realised she was standing there all packed and ready to leave and holding out a heavy pack expectantly.

Rosie went through her drawers and pulled out a sturdy pair of breeches, and stuffing an extra shirt into the pack. "I said you better up and hurry if we want to make good time to Bree."

Confusion mixed with sleep made Willow slow to respond but when she did she reacted fast as lightning. "Bree? Now?" She threw off her night shirt and jumped into her trousers and quickly buttoned her shirt and vest. "Wait a tick... I can't leave what about my goats? "

She grabbed her mothers pendant from the top of her dresser and stuffed it in a pocket. "No worries... all taken care of. You have no excuses left Wil, so off you go!" Rosie helped Willow on with her pack and tied her cloak in a roll at the bottom. Alasse just sat in the doorway and wagged his tail so hard it seemed not a single part of him was still.

Rosie made sure to rush Willow out of the door, one moment too long and another excuse never to go might pop up. Willow did insist upon writing a note to tack to her front door.

"Gone traveling, do not know when I shall return"

Alasse pranced and bounced as they stepped down from the porch and out towards the gate. Willow stopped and looked back as she closed the gate of the home she grew up in. She felt in her heart that this was the thing to do, there was some mystery out there waiting for her. But she also felt as though she would never see this place again. Softly she spoke word that seemed alway there.

"I stand at the gate,
My journey I start,
The road is ahead,
Hope brightens my heart

Is the world an adventure?
Will it excite and delight?
Will the night come ominous,
With black and cold wraiths to fright?

Am I ready for the Sun?
Is this my home that I leave?
Is home to where I shall come?
Will wandering my soul grieve?"

Then she looked down to Alasse and to Rosie her new, her first, Hobbit friend, and added this last phrase.

"My companions true,
Our lives our packs light,
Though the road be long,
May our stars shine bright."

And with that she was ready, Rosie handed her her walking stick and together they started out towards Bree.

Meanwhile Ben ran as fast as his legs would carry him. "Come on Rillan, can't you move any faster?"

"I'm *puff* going as fast *huff* as I can. I had to pack practically you know...*puff* you would have taken off with the clothes on your back and that silly book of yours.*huff*" Rillan tried to stop but Ben grabbed his arm. "Cracked cups Ben you don't even know if they want us allong. They may tell us to go back!"

Ben shaded his eyes. "Nonsense. And besides they don't own the roads, we can travel any way we like."

"If you ak me I'd like to travel back to bed..."

Ben rolled his eyes, "No one asked you to come allong you know... I just wanted to borrow a little..."

"Stop right there, One Abbannalis Took I am not lending you any money, and Two do you know how sad Mum would be if you never came back. You ain't goin' nowheres without me."

Ben wasn't listening, he spotted the Lass' and dog up the road a pace. "Come on hurry!"

Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 06:06
"That would make a good walking song, you know." Rosie commented as Willow finished her poem.

"Oh, really?" Willow asked breathlessly, blushing.

"Mm-hmm." Rosie glanced behind her and motioned for Willow to stop. "Hold up, it looks like we have visitors." Ben Took ran up to them, with a puffing hobbit most OBVIOUSLY related to him coming up behind. "Well, well, what have we here?"

"Hello, my name's Ben Took--"

"I know"

"--And this is my brother Rillan--"

"I gathered"

"--And we were wondering if we could travel with you?"

Rosie was speechless. To think of her leaving the Shire on adventures with not one but three hobbits in tow. "Well..." she began slowly, "I'm not opposed to it. Theres safety in numbers when you're on the road." she shrugged. "It would, however, all depend on what Willow wants." Willow gave a start. "It is, after all," Rosie continued with a smile, "It is her adventure." Willow seemed very flustered, but eventually got out that she didn't mind if Ben and Rillan came. So they set out. They traveled for nearly three weeks before they came near Rivendell, which was the point where all important quests and adventures REALLY began. After a hard search on Rosie's part (it was alot harder to find Rivendell than you would think) they arrived in the valley. Ben and Rillan and Willow were all awestruck at the beauty and majesty of the last homely house of the elves, and even Rosie, who had been there numerous times, was taken aback by its beauty. After a greeting from Lord Elrond, the hobbits got settled in their rooms--Ben and Rillan in one and Rosie and Willow in another.

"This is amazing!" Willow raved. "What other beautiful places will you take us, Rosie?" she asked as she tried not to step on Alasse, who was sniffing around excitedly. Rosie stopped what she was doing and a shadow passed over her face.

"I won't." Willow turned and looked at her friend with a frown.

"What do you mean, you won't?"

Rosie sighed. It was hard for her to do this, especially considering how close she and Willow had become, but she knew she must. "I won't be traveling with you anymore. I leave tomorrow for Minas Tirith." Willow seemed confused.

"We'll travel with you, then."

"No." Rosie sadly sat Willow down and explained what she and Lord Elrond had decided. Willow, Ben, and Rillan--along with an elf or two possibly--were to go on an important quest. Rosie would not go. Many tears were shed that night on both sides, and it must be said that Ben and even Rillan got a little teary when they were told the next morning. But Rosie, despite the three hobbits' pleas, packed and set off early the next day.

"Namarie, mellon nin. I will see you again, Wil. I promise." Rosie whispered as she embraced her dear friend for the last time in a long time. Perhaps forever. Then, after more tears, Rosie left the Last Homely House of Elrond and headed for Gondor and adventures of her own.

((:cry: oh, I am SO sorry to just abruptly bring us to Rivendell like that and then LEAVE! But I have no more time! It's my last day until school starts again! I'm sorry! :cry: may we meet again.))

[Edited on 13/5/2003 by Rosie_Gamgee]
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 08:27
((I am forever in your debt for getting my first RP off and running. It has been a pleasure getting to know you, and your character. Hopefully I won't get kicked from the boards for posting so much today **runs and hides in the corner**. And no worries about rushing us to Rivendell, that's what flash backs are all about!))

Willow sat on the balcony in her room, Alasse was curled on her lap. "You seem almost as sad as me to see her go." She wiped a tear from her eye. It was Rosie who had introduced her to such beauty as this the Last 'Homely' House... if this was homely then Willow was an Ogre.

Willow had finally gotten 'round to showing Rosie her Father's watch and immedietly she had turned their course towards the house of Elrond. She had said it was an ancient Sindarin Script and that none but he would have the lore to translate. So they turned their course, much to Ben's delight and much to Rillan's despair (he complained constantly of his poor aching feet)

As always there is nothing much to tell of a journey without strife. Their days were full of new sights and sounds and at night Rosie told them stories she had learned from her time with the Elves. Stories about how the Moon and the Sun came to be in the sky and she told to them the names of the stars she knew.

Once they made their way down the steep road to Rivendell to the house of Lord Elrond they were sent to see Elrond himself. Willow had been speachless at their meeting. Never before had she seen a creature so fair as this Prince of the Sindar. He seemed to be in the Summer of his life yet in his eyes was set a wisdom unfathomable. If ever Gods did roam the earth as Rosie said, then surely this is what they must be like. Willow looked dumbfounded into his eyes, the color, she imagined, a sad winter's sea to be. Deep and never still, and within this beauty there seemed a shadow. A shadow the wise have because they have some idea the ills that will befall others, and also a shadow of great love and loss. A crystal of perfect pain crystalised, cold in her chest, and she wondered yet didn't wish to know what could have caused a creature such pain and still left it whole and perfect.

She had been asked for the watch to be studied and shown to a room. She was so excited when Rosie joined her much later. But that excitement had turn too quickly to sorry when Rosie explained that her destiny lay upon a seperate path.

Willow knew it was silly but for some reason she had come to expect the four of them would never be seperated. She had come to love and admire each in their own turn. Ben with his compulsions and reckless dreams, and even Rillan with his practical and crabby ways. But most of all she had felt kindred to Rosie, she was the person who had inspired... well, shoved Willow out the door in the first place. And now she was gone with some cryptic message that she was expected to go on a quest....

There was nothing left to do now but to enjoy the beauty of this place and await the summons from Lord Elrond.

Far off on his throne of obsidian Narwagassa broke from his meditations. Long ago he had learned that if he sat quiet enough and listened hard he could hear voices upon the winds. Voices that carried wisps of thought or feeling across the lands. He had learned much from the dark voices he heard and grown powerful pushing his natural abilities to their limits. Yet still his power was not enough to take on the great might of the Kala-Kwendi, not plentiful enough were the orcbred under his control. But now the answer to his troubles may just have touched his mind. A soft voice yet clear as the ringing of those damnable Bells came swiftly over the land. A moment one way or the other and he would have missed it completely so small and so quick it was.

"My compainions true,
Our lives our packs light,
Though the road be long,
May our stars shine bright."

Such hope in these simple words... and yet something else he did not know yet what, struck him. Perhaps the only way to know would be to follow the sound of that tiny bell voice... into the West.
orlis_gal
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 06:23
Elrond examined the watch in great detail and his finger traced the 3 holes carefully. "This watch was made by Fallowhide craftsmen." He said as he looked upon the peculiar runes. "But it is beyond elven skill, only dwarves could of taught them. Willow, you don't seem to have full hobbit blood. Tell me, do you sometimes hear things that are far away? Like streams or something?" But before she could answer he could tell. "Yes. It is just as i thought." He continued without explaining. "These runes appear to be Sindarin which isnt really used much around here but the dwarves have taken it to heart. So this riddle isn't a form of elvish but in the common tongue. That means, whoever wrote it knew the elven runes and also the common shire toungue.

This riddle says...

To activate the key,
to find the missing stones three
Take time to meditate
Ask Ulmo to Liberate

The compase stone will shine
Points of the star align
A little cousin bold
Must then do what is fortold

But Beware!

If the library you unlock
You will then face our foe Grauk
Ulmo again you must beseech
Before the west dark flame does reach
:::

"That would explain the holes." He thought carefully. "This pendant must be the compass stone and it may unlock the library.

"Perhaps you should try seeking out the Fallowhides or others who have traveled into the far east... I think the Avari may play a part in this. Are there any questions?" He asked, passing the watch back to Willow...
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 03:08
Any questions? Willow repeated to herself as she carefully took the watch and pendant back. Yes thousands.... There was just so much to absorb. In hind sight it was probably rude, but Willow just bowed and walked dazed out of the hall. Alasse who had in the meantime hopped irreverently onto one of the elves laps, now leapt off with little warning, and trotted off behind his mistress.

She wandered out of the house and into the trees. Though today she paid little attention she heard elves laughing and singing from hidden spots as she wandered. What had she been thinking? Wanting to leave her simple, easy life? How she missed walking through the commons, napping in the sun with her goats. Grauk... she had trembled when first that word raced through the air to meet her ears. None of the Elves present seemed to like that word, and as it was she didn't have the heart to ask why. And Willow only knew of Ulmo what little Rosie had told them on their way here. With her gone Ben and Rillan seemed to look to Willow now for leadership, which to her mind was absurd.

She and Alasse came to the little river that made its way though Rivendell. She sat and looked into the water, she closed her eyes and almost....was it her imagination? Almost thought she heard the sound of a great horn far, far away. It must be a trick of her mind or some Elvish enchantment that ran through this place.

Although... she opened her eyes and looked down the stream, she had an overwhelming desire to see where all water eventually tries to flees to. Willow stood and looked as far downstream as she could. "Alasse I think we have tarried here too long. I wonder if Ben a Rillan would like to see the Sea?" Alasse jumped and barked, he didn't know what a Sea was but if his mistress wished to go he for one would follow.

((just a fair warning to all who are joining this thread from here off... The road will become dangerous, and if you aren't on you toes and well prepared I have no compunctions about killing the entire party off **evil laugh** After all what is a rose without its thorns?))
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 08:06
Vanalosswen, an Elven ranger, picked her way through the woods with the grace and ease born in her. Her sharp eyes were alert, as were her pointed ears.

She knew the place she was in well, as she had wandered here for nigh on a century. In that time, she had seen the changes as dark powers came into play. She often had to defend herself aganist orcs, more than there had ever been in her long life.

She looked in the direction of Rivendell, the fair valley to where she was now headed. She needed rest, and Rivendell was the only place she could think of in these troubled times that could provide rest and security.

She began humming deep in her throat as she continued on. The song was older than the mountains she was now descending, older than all of Middle-earth. It was the song sang when the Two Trees of Valinor were destroyed, and it never failed to bring tears to her eyes when she sang it.

She stopped and wiped her eyes quickly, then continued in silence.

Just then, she noticed that the birds had stopped singing in one place. She stopped and listened hard. She heard no evil thing, but she sensed she was not alone, that there was someone else close by.

She slowly took her long bow off her back and strung it, then set an arrow to the string. Her eyes, a cool blue, scanned the woods around her.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 08:31
Whistling a soft tune, the young Ranger walked through the familiar woods, with no particular place to head for. He was still young, barely into manhood, and still had a carefree mind. Cheerful as ever, he looked all around him, but failed to see what was right in front of him. He barely missed walking straight into a tree, and came to an abrupt, not very gracious halt. As he finally had the time to listen to the woods around him, he noticed that the birds, who had previously been singing, were now silent.

Curious as ever, he hid behind a large tree, and saw an Elf coming towards where he was. Judging by the state of clothes, it was a Ranger, a female one. Andurion smirked as he saw the Elf stopping suddenly, notching her bow.

He peered around the tree, smirking at the Elf. "Don't tell me you didn't hear me earlier..."

The Elf whirled around and aimed the arrow at the Man, but did not release it. Yet. Andurion held up his hands to show he had no weapons in them.

"Whoa, sorry. I meant no offense." he said, slowly stepping out of the tree line, coming into full view.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 08:56
At the man's voice, which startled her more than she wished to admit, Vana spun, pulling her string to her earlobe. Before her was a human male, a ranger, judging by his clothes and his ability to sneak up on her, and very obviously younger than most human rangers.

At her swift reaction, he said, "Whoa, sorry. I meant no offense," slowly stepping out of the tree line, coming into full view.

She looked him over swiftly, then lowered her bow, still keeping the arrow on it. "Who are you?" she demanded, her voice firm, but not harsh.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 06:37
"Who are you?"

"They call me Padfoot," Andurion smirked at the Elf's reaction. "But my real name is Andurion." he gave a slight bow. "You can call me whatever you like. One name more or less doesn't matter to me."

He took a good look at the Elf, and gave a small nod. "I do not remember seeing you here before. You must be from Mirkwood, M'Lady...?" he raised a questioning eyebrow.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 15, 2003 02:31
Rillan was sitting on a bench putting the finishing touches on his gift. "Not bad if I says so myself."

Ben snatched the hat from Rillan's hand. "How kind of you Rillan, you know how easily I get sun-scorched" He laughed as Rillan turned beet red. "But I don't know... this green band does really match me."

Rillan grabbed the hat from Ben's head, "That's because it's not for you." He inspected it carefully to make sure it remained undamanged. Ben was laughing so hard he plopped onto the ground.

"What's so funny?" Willow and Alasse were suddenly behind them.

"Oh 'ello Wil," Ben wiped the tears of mirth from his eyes, "I think Rillan here has something for you."

Rillan glowered at his older brother. "Um yes, actually I do." He cast another acrid look in Ben's direction and he finally took a hint and made his way back inside. "It's not much... just something I made from some river grass I found. I'll understand if you don't want it, as I said 'tis not much, but..."

He stuck out the wide brimmed hat he had made during his time here in Rivendell. "See I even found and old piece of green silk, for the band." He paused, "You have such fair skin... I thought t'would be a shame to freckle."

Willow smiled as she gently took the hat from him. "It was very thoughtful Rillan." She put it on, it fit perfectly. She smiled warmly, the fact of the matter was, in all her years in the sun she had never once freckled. "Oh what is this button here for?"

Rillan smiled proud of his ingenuity, "Oh that. Well I happened to notice you're left handed and there is a hole in the brim here." He reached forward carefully and placed the button hole in the brim over the brass button. "I thought it would be best if the brim didn't get in the way of the dart sling you have." Willow had darted many a fresh meal with her little dart sling on their way to Rivendell.

Willow gave Rillan a friendly hug, "It's brilliant Rilly, thank you." She began to walk inside to pack and turned. "Oh, I don't expect you to follow... I mean you have no pledge to me and even if you did I would not hold you to it. But incase you and Ben would like to... I think from here I will be heading to the Sea." She continued inside.

"Oh, Bolloks!" Of course Ben would want to follow, and that meant Rillan would follow too. Had hoped we'd be heading home soon...

Willow went through her pack making a mental list of things she would ask the Elves to borrow. She had every intention of paying them back, with what she didn't know. "What's this?" She reached into the side pouch. "A letter...."

'Dearest Willow,
I'm so sorry I had to leave you like this. But Lord Elrond and I both agreed that my part in this adventure was merely to get it started. I will miss you terribly, don't ever think I won't.

Wil, it's very important that you remember everything I taught you; not only about travelling, but Elvish lore also. Pay attention to Lord Elrond. Stick close to Ben and Rillan. They look up to you.

One last thing: one of the Elves made this little ryhme up for me the first time I came to Rivendell. I think it applys to you also. Memorize it and keep it near your heart.

The wandering hobbit-lass, away travel I;
Banished from home, I sleep under the sky.
The wandering hobbit-child, for safety I pray;
Elbereth give me strength, guide me through the day.

Much love and good luck,

Rosie Gamgee '

Tears came unbidden to her eyes... How I will miss you friend!

She packed her few belongings and whistling Alasse to follow, went to borrow supplies from the Elves. And wishing for some help to do... whatever it was she was expected to do.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2003 07:39
Vana replaced her arrow in her quiver as she nodded. "Aye, I am from Mirkwood. Some call me Estel, but to my friends, I am Vana. You may call me Vana, if you wish. You are a ranger, I take it?" At his slight nod, she asked, "I have not seen you before. Tell, me, where are you from?"
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2003 06:12
"Where every Ranger is from." Andurion smirked and slowly started his way towards Lord Elrond's home, Vana followed.

"I'm from everywhere and nowhere," Andurion explained, "I guess I don't have any particular place to call my home. And as for the fact that you haven't seen me before, that's because I'm still young, even by human standards, and I was only recently permitted to travel on my own."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2003 10:38
Vana nodded in understanding of his words. She was also like that, though she had firm roots in Mirkwood. But, then again, she had firm roots where ever a friend lived, which was all over Middle-earth.

To her surprise, she found herself following the young ranger. Her first reaction was to stop and turn around, as she was known for enjoying the peace and quiet that came with being alone...but the ranger, Andurion, was taking the shortest way to Rivendell, and Vana saw no point in taking a longer way.

The pair walked in silence for a time, enjoying the stillness only broken by bird song and the rustling of leaves on the trees.
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 17, 2003 06:20
Narwagassa finished pulling the last of his equipment from the dead horse. It was a shame to kill a fine animal such as this, but it was the fastest way across the desert. He could see the edge of the plains and he would be past the Iron Hills soon. It was a precarious choice he made, his hold on the library was always tenuous.

He drank the last of the water from his skin, no longer fearing when he would reach the next water source. The wind picked up, he closed his eyes and concentrated, hoping to hear some rumor of that for which he searched. A fell voice whispered softly and he headed in that direction.

The air is so sweet here... Ben hesitated as he gathered his things. In all my imaginings I never dreamed the Elves this fair. He sighed, Eager to get moving again, yet reluctant to leave. Leaving the Shire had been easy for him, but this place? He had to aquire a new book to write in. For he had filled every last open space in the last one since coming here. This was the kind of place to come for inspiration. It was calm, and beautiful, with some mysterious enchantment over the whole place. "I could live here." He found himself saying outloud.

"Yeah?" Rillan snorted, "Not even Elves are that patient. Another couple weeks and they'd tie you in a sack and toss you in the river."

Ben sighed and finished packing. "Come on you'll miss this place too and you know it."

Rillan shrugged, "One things for sure, my pants fit again. I swear, another day out in that brush and me pants'd fall off." He looked out the balcony, "Must admit the trees are somethin' else here aren't they?"

"hmm" Ben agreed as he set his pack and stick by the door. "I'm off for one last stroll before we're off. Care to join?" Rillan dumped his heavy pack and stick by his brother's and followed out the door.

Willow sat studying a map of the land from the Misty Mountains west to the sea. Alasse had made himself a bed of her pack and was snoozing in the morning sun. The elves had been kind and given them long lasting food and much needed supplies. They had only been going to Bree when they first left and Rivendell is a much longer journey. Willow had been given a small bow and a quiver full of arrows, much more likely protection than her little dart sling. Willow ran her hand over the fine wood of the bow, "Lets hope the most dangerous thing we ever have to point this at is a buck." Alasse snorted and went back to sleep.

"So are we going to sit around all day?" Ben called to Willow.

Rillan looked up to the sun, "He's right you know we really should try to put a couple of miles before lunch." He sighed and looked at his waistline. I'll be tightening my belt again soon enough...

She whistled to Alasse and put on her pack. "Yes, let's be off." She folded her map and put it in her vest pocket. "We shall cross the river at the Ford and head west on the East-West road. Maybe we can find some of my Fallowhide kin on our way to the Sea."

And with one last sweeping look they left the river valley of Imladris.

((For those keeping track the date is 5 Forelithe, Sunnedei and the weather is quite warm with a wet breeze from the west))
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 04:36
Willow and the others padded along quietly beside the widening river, the only noise was a soft clinking of the equipment dangling from Rillan's pack and the songs of the birds. Alasse trotted along about twenty paces ahead occasionally marking his way, as a dog must.

Rillan sighed and looked back one last time, soon they would be at the ford and crossing out of the Elves territory. What had ever possesed him to come along in the first place? Rillan had said it was to see his brother returned alive and safe, but he now found himself questioning his noble reasons. Rillan wondered if perhaps he had an adventuring spirit, though he tried so hard to hide it. Abbannalis was such a dreamer that Rillan had always felt it his responsibility to keep his feet on the ground steady beneath him. He maybe the youngest but it was always in his head to be the one who watched out for everyone else. Had he missed something of himself while he was watching everyone else? Rillan was brought back to reality by Alasse growling.

Alasse was at the Ford sniffing the air and growling softly. He smelled a man not far off, and... an Elf a little different than the ones they had just left. Alasse knew his mistress disliked Big Folk, Big Folk had killed her parents. Alasse cocked his head as he sniffed again, although this Man smelled different from the ones he had met at market. Nevermind... all he knew was there was a Man just ahead and he would protect his mistress from him.

Willow grabbed Alasse from the side of the Ford where he stood growling for all to see and hear and crept off with Ben and Rillan into the bushes. The three Hobbits and the dog waited quietly to see who was coming their way.....
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:45
Andurion and Vanalosswen had been walking for some time, a confident silence between them. Neither felt the need to say something, as they both enjoyed the serenity and beauty around them.

They neared the Ford, the borders of Elven territory. In front, Andurion quickened his pace somewhat, feeling almost overjoyed to be in Imladris again. But suddenly, a strangely familiar ((ooc: is that possible?)) sound reached his ears. He did not have the keen hearing of the Elven kind, but he could still hear better than most Men.

Of course, Vanalosswen had heard it too, and they both suspiciously looked towards the origin of the sound... the Ford. Raising a questioning eyebrow, Andurion looked towards Vana, who shrugged lightly in return.

Without another word, they both agreed on the same thing and crossed the ford, keeping a close watch on their surroundings. Andurion noticed a slight movement in the bushes nearby, and knowing Vana could probably hear and see better than he could, he whispered in Elvish,

"Can you see anything?"

((my Elvish is bad, so just assume he's talking in Sindarin))
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 08:18
Vana only nodded, all her senses focused on identifying the beings before the two rangers. She bent slightly to look through the brush, and began laughing softly.

"What is so funny?" Andurion asked softly in Elvish. Vana was surprised that he knew the Elven language so well, but she ignored that for the time being.

"'Tis a group of Halflings and a small dog." she replied softly in the same tongue. "The dog senses us, and he has alerted the hobbits. 'Twould probably be best to show ourselves, as the dog might try attacking otherwise."
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 02:58
Willow sat tense in the bushes watching. She couldn't believe that anything of dangerous intention could possibly be this close to Rivendell, but Alasse had been on about something. Even now the small dogs body was tense in her arms. She pricked her ears, someone was talking... (she has very sensitive ears for even a hobbit) Elvish as she heard in the house of Elrond. Well, no foul hearted creature would be speaking Elvish, Willow was sure of that. Oh, there, she spotted a fair blond Elf looking staight at them. Of course they could hide from Elvish eyes. But who was that with her, that certainly was no Elf.

"Wil," Ben whispered, a resonding shout in Willows focused ears. "Do you see anything? I think your dog's cracked."

"Well that's done it Ben," Willow hissed. "It's an Elf and one of the Big Folk and you whisper 'bout as quiet as a clap of thunder."

Rillan stiffled a chuckle. Willow stood holding Alasse tight knowing now that it was the Man who had set him on edge. She was not feeling at her ease about the Big Man's presence but she trusted that an Elf would keep no foul company.

"Good day to you My Lady." She bowed rather akwardly with dog in arm and pack on back. "I am Willow Undertree this is Abbannalis Took, and Rillan Took... and my dog Alasse. We have just come from the House of Elrond. Please we beg your pardon if we have caused you any alarm."

"Yes," Piped in Ben, "We are adventurers on our way to the Sea."

Rillan poked him with his walking stick. "You oaf." Willow did her best to ignore his outburst.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 03:15
Vana jumped slightly at the loud whisper from one of the hobbits, one of the male ones. She smiled slightly at the too true statement by the female hobbit, the one who could, from the looks and sounds of things, see both Vana and her companion. Vana straightened as the hobbit girl introduced herself as Willow, and introduced her companions.

Vana came forward slightly and smiled in slight embarassment at how much she towered over the hobbit. She knelt slightly as Willow apologized to her. Ben burst out with a bit of personal information, and Vana smiled tolerantly.

"I am Vanalosswen of Mirkwood, my companion is Andurion, and we are headed for the house of Elrond. May I ask why you are headed for the Sea?" Her heart throbbed at the very thought of the sea. The sea-longing had never been strong in her, but she still loved the look and smell of it.
LadyRanger
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 06:38
As the three halflings emerged, Andurion stiffened slightly and took a small step backwards. He knew that the Big Folk and the Little Folk (as the Halflings and Men called each other) didn't quite came along very well with each other in most occasions. The inn in Bree seemed to be the only place where the Big and the Little got along with each other. And though the Ranger was considered dangerous by many who knew not of his race, this was still slightly different.

The young man gazed at the dog one of the Little Folk was holding tight, and received a glare and a low growl from the animal. Puzzled by this reaction (animals were mostly the only ones who did not judge him on sight), Andurion decided to stay at a safe distance as not to upset the dog any further.

When Vanalosswen introduced him, he cringed slightly. He would have preferred to use his nickname, rather than his real one. Padfoot was what most people in the few villages of Eriador knew him by, and only his kinsmen and the Elves knew of his real name, which he preferred to keep that way. But the damage was already done, so he would have to live with it.

He managed a quick, but polite nod of his head towards the three Halflings. They seemed suspicious of him, and he couldn't blame them. For all he knew, this was the first time they saw one of the Big Folk. But judging by the dog's reaction, at least he had met one before... and it was not hard to guess that the meeting had not been a pleasant one...
Tasar_Took_Nualda
Self Appointed Defender
of Denethor

Send Message
on: May 23, 2003 03:40
"Andurion?" Willow murmured surprised by the Man's name.... it sounded Elvish... Alasse tensed again and gave a growl. "Shh"

Before Willow could tell Vanalosswen a neat simple version of why they were going to the sea Abbannalis spurted the whole story with all the flare and flash of a really bad fictional book. Since it just wouldn't do to smack him with his staff infront of strangers Rillan just closed his eyes and moaned. Willow having similar thoughts looked at the ground with an occasional glower in Ben's direction.

Wilst his brother bored the others with his story Rillan began to wonder at Alasse and Willow's obvious reaction to the Big Folk. It was obvious the Elf trusted him, and though he looked a bit rough, Rillan's instict made him feel that this one was alright. He nodded to himself, yes alright, his insticts were hardly ever wrong. Rillan glanced over at Willow, she sure was pretty in that hat he made her. The grass had faded to a dusty silver green, and it just made her eyes.... He caught himself, and cleared his throat. Suddenly the leaf next to him just seemed very interesting.....

"And that is how we came to meet you here at the ford." Ben ended his story, with a gracious bow to the very pretty she-elf before him. He had just told them everything from Rosie in the pub to the watch and inscription to the pendant and Rillan's gift of the hat, much to Rillan's embarasment. Of course to hear him talk Elrond was not a Mear Elf (if there is such a thing as a mear elf) but ruler of all the Elven realms and high in the ranks of the Gods. Yes, a bit of a stretch but what's a good story without a little exageration?

Willow started realising Ben was finally done. She had gotten lost in the sounds of the river, thinking about the sea. She had never seen it but her heart seemed now to ache for just one sight. She was about to speak when the wind changed and a chill came over her, was it her imagination or did she feel someone looking for her? She shook the feeling from herself, "I hope we have not kept you long. As you have just experienced, my companion is quite long winded. My appologies."

She tried to look as though they were going to be on their way now but Ben spoke again, "Wil, aren't you going to ask if they want to come too?"

That was just too much. "Abbannalis Took, this journey is not for your own personal amusment. You can not expect every person whom you think would make a good character in you book to come tagging along. If you haven't noticed the Elves have more important things to do." she paused only long enough to take a breath. "And have you ever thought that someone a little more unsavory may be within earshot while you rant on and on about what Lord Elrond warned us to be a potentially dangerour journey? If these things really are of any importance then more than likely someone not so nice will want a look at them also."

Ben hung his head and for once seemed to be at a loss for words. Rillan looked almost as startled by Willow's outburst, there had to be something else bothering her or she would have waited to speak to him alone.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email