Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: POLL-Boromir
on: April 15, 2004 06:32
After watching the Extended DVD of TTT, I undertsood Boromir so much more - even though I had a soft spot for him anyway - remember the scene teaching the two young hobbits how to use a sword - and his kind words to Frodo about Gandalf's death. He was a good man, tougher but not as sensitive as his brother.

I think his underlying motivation was not just to save Gondor but to succeed in the eyes of his father. The background scenes with Denethor and Faramir explains a lot - Denethor gave him specific instructions for his trip to Rivendell - he was, in a lot of ways, doing his father's bidding and when the fellowship started going in the wrong direction (in his opinion) and he realized that there was no way the ring was going to go to Gondor, he got desperate.

The pull of the ring was also a physical/mental pain to him - remember the shudder when he was getting out of the boat and his anguished conversation with Aragorn in Lothlorian and later on just before he tried to take the ring?

I have a great deal of sympathy for the sons of Denethor, Steward of Gondor.
good/corrupted
94% (1)
bad boy
6% (8)
Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 11:35
The way I see it, Boromir was a good man with good intentions but not enough strength to resist the Ring. I mean, when he's teaching the hobbits to use swords, when he's with his brother, you see this side of him that's so... well, good for lack of a better adjective. What he lacked was the wisdom of his brother.

I have a great deal of sympathy for the sons of Denethor, Steward of Gondor.

Heh. Welcome to my world. The Brothers Mir are MINE.

Ohmaré
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 05:40
Boromir is my favourite Character in the movie(s) by far, and he is an all round good guy, I mean if someone like Galadriel is so tempted by the ring, then what chance has a mortal man got when he has been sent out to the coucil specifically to claim the ring for Gondor?

I would love to see a film of Boromir in the years prior to when he joins the fellowship, like fighting in Osgiliath.....of course I am influenced by him being my favourite actor of all time
Carlithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 09:34
He is absolutely good.
When I saw ttt extend. version and saw that he was forced from his father to go to rivendell and how he defend Faramir against Denthor. He is very good guy
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 05:34
He's basicly good. Maybe slightly corrupted by the ring.
prior_illusionist
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2007 05:36
I think he's a good guy because of how he sacrifgices himself for Merry and Pippin. Its the ring that makes him such a bad guy. I think he's true at heart
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 03:26
he's a good guy, just corrupted. He wanted to find Frodo after he scared him, he felt bad. The Ring can corrupt anyone.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 07:53
I think he was just a tool to show how evil the ring was. I don't think he's any less noble than Faramir and I'm sure that he could have also rejected the ring easily. During his writing, Tolkien probably reached a point where it was necessary to sacrifice one major character to deepen the threat of the one ring. And the only choice was Boromir since there were conveniently two men in the Fellowship but only one dwarf and elf (and you can't eliminate a whole culture from the story so soon).
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 08:08
I agree with Aegor, Boromir was a tool.:evil:
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 08:11
I think he was just a tool to show how evil the ring was. I don't think he's any less noble than Faramir and I'm sure that he could have also rejected the ring easily. During his writing, Tolkien probably reached a point where it was necessary to sacrifice one major character to deepen the threat of the one ring. And the only choice was Boromir since there were conveniently two men in the Fellowship but only one dwarf and elf (and you can't eliminate a whole culture from the story so soon).

Hmm, you have a point....even though the Fellowship was dissolving he couldn't exactly just say "OK, no more dwarves (or elves) for the next seven hundred pages," now could he?

But I think that Boromir was a good guy, pretty much, but his desire to save Gondor (patriotism? nationalism?) sort of worked with what the Ring was trying to do--get itself back into the hands of Men, "weak and easily corrupted". And in the books, the Ring was different. If you knew what it was that was important to you (like Sam and Faramir did) then you could let the Ring go. If you couldn't...well...that's what happened to Boromir. The Ring took him.
Ithilien_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2008 07:10
boromir i think is at heart a real good guy. I agree with Prior the self sacrifice for Merry and Pippin was really heroic of him. And he seems to know when he's done wrong and feels some sort of remorse. He just wants whats best for his people he knows in his heart the ring will only destroy Gondor but because he is corrupted he cant help but put his heart aside and try and take the ring from frodo. But truly Boromir is my favorite character in the entire trilogy because he is more human than anyone else. He is such a contrasting character and i think that it is sad that he had to die but in the end he died for honor and peace and good. that is what makes him a true hero and good guy.
Nimiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2008 08:00
he's a good guy. everyone started being "good" first - even melkor and sauron.

and he didn't wanna take the ring to do "evil" stuff. he wanted to save his people.

but i think the major point is that he needed to do something his father expected him to. i mean, don't we all act stupid if it comes to our parents? either we wanna do the exact opposite or exactly what they want to...
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2008 04:27
He's a good guy, definitely. The power of the Ring was just too much for him. Well, who isn't it too much for? I mean, even Frodo nearly succumbed to it in the end, Boromir was just unlucky enough to be the first so he's the one everybody picks on for being "weak", when he isn't. So stop being so harsh on the poor guy, would you?
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2008 09:23
He's a bad boy in the good way :love:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email