Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
Post What was the "scariest" part of LOTR?
on: May 20, 2003 04:44
For me the "scariest" part of LOTR was when the Hobbits are trying to get to the raft and cross the river. They are being chased by the Wraiths.....and when the one Wraith comes barreling out from behind the tree towards Frodo I almost lost it.:cry: The volumn has to be deliberatly louder at that point (in the theaters and on the DVD) because when that Wraith screamed I literally came out of my seat and my heart was pounding. No matter how many times I watch that part it still gets me

[Edited on 21/5/2003 by LadyCeleborn]
Eothain222
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What was the "scariest" part of LOTR?
on: May 20, 2003 07:24
Probably the bit after meeting the nazgul for the first time and they're going through the forest at night then the Nazgul appears.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 20, 2003 06:06
I don't know about scary, but the thing that makes me jump every time is when Bilbo tries to get the ring back off Frodo. Even when I know it's coming, I still leave the seat.
Kiss
Ninde
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2003 11:24
hya all
I agree with Faramirs_first_kiss!
When Bilbo's face goes... uhm.. :evil: like that I guess..
very terrifying...
*~navaer~*

Ninde
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2003 11:41
aarghh I forgot! :blush:
I thought about it, and I found another scary part!
when the orcs want to eat Merry and Pippin... yuck..
those orcs ar so nasty! *lol*
seeya around
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 01:15
Scariest???.....hmmm...no doubt about it...

:cry: Ringwraiths, Ringwraiths, Ringwraiths :cry:

The shrill screams were enough to send chills up and down my spine. Ugh, got the chills just thinking about them.
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 03:24
I'm going to agree with ya'll on the Ringwraiths, I won't be forgetting them anytime soon

This isn't exactly part of the movie, but it was scary. I was in the theater, ready to see The Two Towers, all pumped up and excited... when what do I see on the screen? Carrot Top screaming '1-800-CALL-ATT!!!'

It should be illegal to put his face on a movie theater sized screen without giving the audience a warning!

*is still recovering from the shock*
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 03:26
When Bilbo's face goes... uhm..:evil: like that I guess..
very terrifying...

Yeah, I almost had a heart attack at that part! I also hated the part where the Wraiths where stabbing the beds that they thought the hobbits where in! I hadn't read the book then, so I was like, OMG, they've got them!!

~Becki
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 06:40
* when Gandalf touches the Ring, and you see the eye - ack, that was a peekaboo moment
* the Nazgul, period
* FELBEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially Gollum's reaction to it: it enhances their power
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:03
Omg, there were so many... lol... I have to say that the first time I ever saw FotR it was the bit where Bilbo made that freaky face that really got me... I was with my friend and she'd just turned and said something to me, and I was replying, and we both looked up and Bilbo went "RAWR!!" and we both screamed :blush:

Aside from that, the Ringwraiths' screeching sound always sends shivers down my spine. I was kind of expecting the bit in the Dead Marshes to be really creepy... and it was, kind of... but i was expecting something like that so it didn't take me by surprise so much.
Silmarwen22
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:20
my little girl refuses to watch that part with Bilbo and Frodo, where his face turns scary!! She also hates to watch the cave troll stab Frodo...The rest doesn't bother her too much though, interestingly enough.

I think the part where the hobbits are hiding under the big tree root is terrifying. And the part where Merry and Pippin are being pursued by that Orc into Fangorn was pretty scary too...and oh yeah-Leathertop was really scary too. Those wraiths really scare me, even after watching the movie a hundred times!!
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 07:22
Bilbo's eyes, omg. Frightened to death. Also in TTT when Merry and Pippin is followed by that awful orch. :cry:
smeagol_the_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 08:03
I have to say the Ringwraiths, Especially when Frodo still had the ring on in FOTR. Also a scary part is the viewing of the great, flaming eye of Sauron.

------------------------------------------------
"wraiths, wraiths on wings." Gollum
Areleniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 05:15
I jumped when Frodo was trying to hide from the cave troll in Moria and they were going around this pillar or something, and Frodo was just leaning there, and suddenly the cave troll appears from behind popping his head right there and Frodo screamed and I believe I let out a scream myself.

I also jumped when Aragorn got knocked off suddenly from his horse by a warg in TTT.
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 06:13
When Frodo attacks Sam at Osgiliath. Totally unexpected. This scene is supposed to be longer in the extended version.
Frodo_007
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 07:42
There were sooo many scary parts but i really didnt like the part where the bridge of Kazad Dum split, leaving some of the members of the Fellowship stranded!!!I was so scared that it would fall down!!!
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 23, 2003 04:59
Actually the only part that scared me was in Osgiliath when Frodo offers the Ring to the Nazgul. Everything else has never scared me, I'm not frightened easily, but that for some reason did. It freaked me out for a week and that was all I could think about. :blush:

Now, Aragorn's off the cliff scquence.... Everyone in the theater was shocked or screaming, and I was trying to keep from laughing! I was thinking, "If they kill Aragorn there will be no RotK and all these people don't know it!" (hence the NAME RotK)
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 04:36
The part when Bilbo wanted the Ring from Frodo in Rivendell, and in TTT I was kind of scared that Gollum would attack Frodo.
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2003 02:29
I also hated the part where the Wraiths where stabbing the beds that they thought the hobbits where in! I hadn't read the book then, so I was like, OMG, they've got them!!

I forgot about that part! First time I saw that I was thinking "This is the crudest movie I've ever seen!"

in TTT I was kind of scared that Gollum would attack Frodo.

My nephew did that, even though I told him how everything turns out. he thought Gollum would kill Frodo and Sam and even wanted to leave the theater. His other fear was that Gollum's "bikini" would come off I still get a laugh out of that!

For me, the scariest part of TTT was one line: "They're here" GOOD GRIEF that was freaky! And since it was changed from the book so much, I didn't know what was going to happen next.
Frodo_007
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 12:23
For me the scariest parts were anything involving the Nazgul!!!Like when Frodo is being chased by them by the Buckleberry Ferry & when they are all hiding under that tree & on Weathertop & in Bree & when Frodo, Sam & Gollum discover "Wraiths On Wings" & when Frodo is standing on that bridge in Osgiliath holding The One Ring & along comes a Nazgul!!!Also, i hated the first time the Eye Of Sauron appeared, it totally freaked me out but after awhile i got used to it!!!Also, in Lothlorien, when Galadriel does her 'psycho' thing!!!When Boromir is taken over by The One Ring at the end of FOTR, scary!!!And in Bag End when Bilbo goes all greedy and Gandalf goes all mad!!!Bilbo in Rivendell, sees The One Ring again and does that scary 'Gollum Eyes' thing!!!Also, when Frodo get's speared by that damn Cave Troll!!!I was sooooooo scared for him!!!Ok, there's probably more but i should stop now lol
runaround
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 03:22
I still jump when Gandalf first touches the ring. I nearly wet my pants when it happened in theatres.

But for me, the ringwraiths were more cool looking than scary.
vaminaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 02:11
the first time i saw FOTR, my heart started beating really fast when the Ringwraiths first stabbed the beds, but PJ made it look like they were stabbing the hobbits. I gasped so loud people looked at me funny.

i have to agree with everyone who said that the Nazuguls piercing cry made them shudder...it certainly sent chills up my spine!
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 09:34
For me, the orcs were a scary part... When they came all together, moving towards the landscape...:cry:
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 03:35
Just waiting for the Balrog to come is the scariest. They are all surrounded by orcs and the orcs all flee because they know it's coming. Knowing that it's coming but not seeing it is still scary.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 05:07
Totally the Nazgul, both at Weathertop and before Buckleberry Ferry....those things are creepy!
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 05:28
The scariest for me would of been the part where Gandalf goes for the ring and the eye that comes out! That made me jump out of my seat!!! The other would have to be when bilbo made the face and that kinda scares me when i dont think about it!!!
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 07:12
When Bilbo's face goes... uhm..:evil: like that I guess..
very terrifying...

Yeah, I almost had a heart attack at that part! I also hated the part where the Wraiths where stabbing the beds that they thought the hobbits where in! I hadn't read the book then, so I was like, OMG, they've got them!!

~Becki

Okay, I have a funny story about that moment!

Right, we're watching FotR in Drama, and the other week it was up to the part were Bilbo goes all, um :evil:, lets' say! Anyway, my friend hasn't seen FotR before, so I have to tell her everything that's going on, or she'll just nag me for ages! So, it was about 15 seconds before Bilbo was about to go all :evil:, and I was gonna lean into her and say,
'Watch out, you might jump in a minute.'
But, I wanted to see if she'd jump or not, so I didn't!
Did she jump you ask? Well, she MORE than jumped! Then, she started yelling at me!
'Why didn't you tell me it was coming?!?!?!?!?! I jumped out my skin!'
I was was laughing my head off! Even when Bilbo was crying, and was laughing my head off!!!!!!!!! It was soooooo funny!!

Well, it might not sound funny, but I guess you had to be there!

~Becki
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 08:37
Bilbo's brief metamorphosis still gives me a startle everytime.

Also in Moria in Balin's tomb when Pippin accidently knocks that skeleton into the well, making such a clatter ... then those few seconds of silence and then the reply of orc drums echoing in the well .. that scene always feels me with dreadful anticipation of what's to come.
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 02:12
my moment is the same as most people here; when Bilbo tried to take the ring from Frodo at Imladris. The first time I saw it, it was in the theater and the sound was so loud and I jump a little out of my seat .

The loud popping of the fireworks at Bilbo's party also continued to freak me out for the first few times I watched the movies. t was just so sudden and LOUD. I could never remember that happening the next time I saw it, so it kept making me jump
Legolas_Loves_Giuli
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 01:25
When I first saw the FOTR, the scary part was when the cave troll came crashing into the tomb.... Then came the part where the Balrog started to chase The Fellowship... That made my heart jump! Though I have to admit, it was worth it! :love:
Inzilbêth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 09:08
For me, it freaks me out to be in danger of a terrible massive attack, with no other choice than to face it.
In TTT movie: Helm´s Deep fortress, that moments when people is just standing there, expecting for the evil attack, just thinking to be on their shoes, man, and then, when Orcs destroy the wall and so they can came inside the fortress and kill.
In RotK the same situation in Minas Tirith, the siege, the attack, there´s so much tension and is the most terrible moment of desperation in the book.
Elven_Redwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 10:05
::shakes head:: I don't recomend watching the 'extra' CoE scene; extremely disturbing.... :evil:
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2003 04:31
The bit when the drums start up in the Mines. It just made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Got to go smartish, I've got English Lit. in the space of about two minutes (I can touch-type, so I can do this rambling thing)

Lindir
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 01:45
I don't know why but it's always been the silence that freaks me out more than any creepy horror music. Like in TTT whre Frodo is holding the Ring out to the Nazgul. Everything is silent and it always leave my heart pounding at about 90 beats per second. It's just the...tension and the sense of foreboding that scares me.
Another film that happens in is The Ring. My GOD, don't watch that at night! It was when the little girl came out of the well and crawled through the TV and it was COMPLETELY silent...I couldn't stop thinking about it for days.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 30, 2003 11:56
For me, the most scariest is the change of Frodo from a nice and clumpsy hobbit into some monster (psychically). :cry:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email