Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post All Chapters - Quotes
on: May 24, 2003 07:02
This is borne out of a point made by NenyaGold: Are there any quotes you would like to point out to the rest of us? Quotes you feel are of some importance, that shouldn't be overlooked. A good joke maybe, if looked at in the right way. Foreshadowing, mayhaps (juuust don't give anything away...). A quote you've always felt was a classic one...
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post RE: All Chapters - Quotes
on: May 24, 2003 07:10
I think Chapter Three has some of the most memorable quotes of all the books:

“But it was the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean.” Sam to Frodo regarding the elves they met on the road to Crickhollow.

“The wide world is not about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.” Gildor to Frodo

“Courage is found in unlikely places.” Gildor to Frodo

And, my all-time favorite:
“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger.” Gildor to Frodo

I think Tolkien really knew how to turn a phrase and he had such insight into human nature.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 02:16
okay, this is *my* favourite quote from Chapter III: Three is Company

A fox passing through the woods on business of his own stopped several minutes and sniffed.
'Hobbits!' he thought. 'Well, what next? I have heard of strange doing in this land, but I have seldom heard of a Hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer about this.' He was quite right, but he never found out any more about it.

Tolkien was clearly in a fairytale kinda mood when he wrote this: it shows how he too evolves as a writer throughout the books... {But that's talking in advance, right?}

And it's just plain cute!
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 04:53
Yeah, Figwit! That's one of my faves also.
Here are the ones I like from chapter 4:
"Shortcuts make long delays, but inns make longer ones" -Frodo
"Where did you find them, Mr. Maggot? Your duck pond?"-Merry

I also liked this famous one from Chapter 1:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo at his party.
I can just imagine the hobbit's confused:dizzy: faces!
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 12:08
My favourites quotes so far:

Chapter 1 - Bilbo´s answer to Gandalf, when he told Bilbo to take care...

Take care! I don´t care. Don´t you worry about me! I am as happy now as I have ever been, and that is saying a great deal.

And a compliment from Lobelia
'You´ll live to regret it, young fellow! Why didn´t you go too? You don´t belong here; you´re no Baggins - you - you´re a Brandybuck!'

'Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like,' said Frodo as he shut the door on her.

'It was a compliment,' said Merry Brandybuck, 'and so, of course, not true.'

Chapter 2 - Frodo, of course... I somehow relate to this....
I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don´t feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold even if my feet cannot stand there again.

Chapter 3 - Other than the fox passage, some of Pippin´s classics...
'The road goes on for ever,' said Pippin; 'but I can´t without a rest'

'Don´t let us go too far!' said Frodo. 'I don´t want to be seen, but I want to see if there´s another Black Rider.'

'Very well,' said Pippin. 'But don´t forget the sniffing.'

and previously to nenya´s quote, actually, the whole paragraph

Sam could never describe in words, nor picture clearly to himself, what he felt or thought that night, though it remained in his memory as one of the chief events of his life. The nearest he ever got was to say: 'Well, sir, if I could grow appels like that, I would call myself a gardener. But it was the singing that went to my heart, if you know what I mean.'

Chapter 4 - Frodo thinking...
The merry voice of Pippin came to him. He was running on the green turf and singing.

'No! I could not!' he said to himself 'It is one thing to take my young friends walking over the Shire with me, until we are hungry and weary, and food and bed are sweet. To take them into exile, where hunger and weariness may have no cure, is quite another - even if they are willing to come. The inheritance is mine alone. I don´t think I ought even to take Sam.'

ok, better stop for now cos this is already too llloooooooooooooonnnnnnngggggggggg!!

[Edited on 27/5/2003 by Elenisil]

[Edited on 27/10/2003 by Figwit]
Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 12:47
I´m back..... :evil:

Chapter 5 - no great philosofical lines, but some of the best in litretature history....
'A bath!' cried Pippin. 'O blessed Meriadoc!'
'Which order shall we go in?' said Frodo. 'Eldest first, or quickest first? Ypu´ll be last either way, Master Peregrin.'

'Oh! That was poetry!' said Pippin. 'Do you really mean to start before the break of day?'

that´s all for now, folks
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 12:59
I'm not going to post the whole song here...but I absolutely love the impromptu recreation of my favorite song from The Hobbit:

Farewell we call to hearth and hall
Though wind may blow and rain may fall
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

Anyone ever see the cartoon version of the Hobbit? I love the music for that movie...but that song gets in my head within two seconds...that and the 'The greatest adventure...is what lies ahead...today and tomorrow...are yet to be said...the chances the changes...are all yours to make...the mold of your life is in your hands to break...' and...so on and so forth.

This quote worries me:
"In that room there are three tubs and a copper full of boiling water!" --Merry

Uh...boiling water? Thaaaat would hurt me...
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 02:05
I understood the copper to be a very large copper vessel/kettle that held boiling water to be added to the baths as they cooled down. I don't think it was the baths themselves that were boiling. That would hurt!

I love that song too! It is worth finishing (IMO):

"To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
In glades beneath the misty fell,
Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toll be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day."

I think it speaks so well of the past (first stanza in Trig's post above), future (second and third stanzas) and present (last two lines), even though at this point they really don't know what they are in for or how appropriate the song is that they are singing. And I love rhyming poetry!
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2003 01:29
Probably one of my favorite quotes that I use quite a bit is in Chapter 3. Beyond the wizard quote (which I adjust as needed), I like: "Never go to the Elves for counsel, for they say both no and yes."

Too true! Even when directly asked something, a true elf takes FOREVER to get to the point and answer the stupid question.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 01:49
Tolkien's way with words always impresses me, even though I've read these books many times. Instead of saying "Sam slept like a log", he expresses it, with more for me to think about or feel: "As far as he remembered, Sam slept through the night in deep content, if logs are contented." It makes me think about more than just Sam sleeping well.
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 03:03
From A Conspiracy Unmasked

'Lawks!' said Merry, looking in. The stone floor was swimming. 'You ought to mop that up before you get anything to eat, Peregrin', he said.

Just a really funny mental image. Not to mention a funny word!

From Flight to the Ford

Sam muttered something inaudible. 'It's out of his own head, of course', said Frodo. 'I am learning alot about Sam Gamgee on this journey. First he was a conspirator, now he's a jester. He'll end up by becoming a wizard-- or a warrior!'
'I hope not', said Sam. 'I don't want to be neither!'
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 15, 2003 03:05
Yet another descriptive way with words:

'In the dark without moon or stars a drawn blade gleamed, as if a chill light had been unsheathed.'

makes me shiver
Periantari
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2003 10:47
Yes, that makes me shiver as well, Nenya :thumbs: thanks for pointing that one out.. =)
i love soo many of the quotes already mentioned... but keeping the quotes along Book 1, one of the most memorable ones i have is the Merry friendship quote in a Conspiracy Unmasked... (i dont have the book in front of me, but when i do, i'll be sure to post it =)

[Edit]
Here it is:
"You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin -to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours --closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo. Anyway: ther eit is. We know most of what Gandalf has told you. We know a good deal about the Ring. We are horribly afraid --but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds."

ahhh such a classic quote of devoted friendship!!! i love that quote...

One poem that i really like is the poem that describes Aragorn which was in the letter that the hobbits go in Bree... it starts like this, "All that is gold does not glitter..."

This one's also classic:
"I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will."

he said it in the Council of Elrond...but in the book, it's earlier, when the hobbits first meet him in Bree.

And i love how Butterbur described how Gandalf described Frodo to him:
"A stout fellow with red cheeks... but this one is taller than some and fairer than most, and he has a cleft in his chin: perky chap with a bright eye"

aww Frodo! :love:

this dialgue's also classic:
Frodo: "I wish it need not have happened in my time."
Gandalf: "So do I, and so do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do witht the time that is given us."

And also when Gandalf tells Frodo that it is not us to deal out death and judgment while talking about Gollum...

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them.? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in jugement. For even the wise cannot see all ends. ... the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many --yours not least."

Foreshadowing there already

I love so many of Gandalf's quotes in chapter 2! =)

and of course, the line in my siggy is one of my favorites...

[Edited on 7//18/0303 by Periantari]:

[Edited on 7//18/0303 by Periantari]
Elrenia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 11:49
I liked "You would die before your stoke fell,":angry: Legolas to Eomer. I think it shows that Legolas and Gimli have gotten to the stage in their friendship where they'd do anything to help and protect each other.
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 12, 2003 01:43
quotes from Book II Capter I: Many Meetings

'I hope I shan't have to go any further. It is very pleasant just to rest. I have had a month of exile and adventure, and I find that has been as much as I want.' ~ Frodo

Looking in a mirror he was startled to see a much thinner reflection of himself than he remembered: it looked remarkably like the young nephew of Bilbo who used to go tramping with his uncle in the Shire; but the eyes looked out at him thoughtfully. (Frodo)

'Evil things do not come into this valley; but all the same we should not name them. The Lord of the Rings is not Frodo, but the master of the Dark Tower of Mordor, whose power is again stretching out over the world! We are sitting in a fortress. Outside it is getting dark.'
'Gandalf has been saying many cheerful things like that,' said Pippin.

'Don't adventures ever have an end? But I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.' ~ Bilbo

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: August 12, 2003 06:26
Just so you know, this Quote thread is for the current chapter we are reading or any past chapters. We aren't quoting future chapters. We don't want to *spoil* it for those who have not read that far in the books yet. :love:

So please join us and quote your favorites up to and including the *Many Meetings* chapter in FotR, Book II, Chapter I.
rhînolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2003 06:50
Sorry about that NenyaGold! Here's one: "Behind that there was something else at work,beyond any design of the ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that bilbo was meant to find the ring, and not by its maker. in which case you were also meant to have it. and that may be an encouraging thought." -Gandalf

[Edited on 2003/8/12 by rhînolwen]
ArwenLegolas
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 08:02
I just loved chapters 6 and seven (being the poet that I am) all those beautiful poems Tom Bombal spoke and sang. The other one was a reprimand to "Old Man Willow. Here they are.
This one was what Frodo and Sam heard when they ran for help and found Tom Bombadil.
1. Hey, come merry-dol. derry dol. My darling!
Light goes the weather-wind and the feathered starling.
Down under Hill, shining in the sunlight,
Waiting on the doorstep for the cold star-light,
There my pretty lady is, River-women's daughter,
Slender as the willow-wand, clearer than water.
Old Tom Bombadil water-lilies bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry-dol! derry dol! and merry-o
Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!
Poor old Willow-man, you tuck your roots away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again water-lilies bringing.
Hey! Come derry do can you hear me singing?

2.This is the reprimand Tom had for Old Man Willow.
" You let them out again Old man Willow"he said.
What you be a-thinking of? You should not be waking.
Eat earth! Dig deep! Drink water! Go to sleep! Bombadil is
talking!"

In chapter 7 Frodo asks Tom a question as to whether it was by chance and Tom said that he had heard news about them. He said it was no plan of his, but that he was waiting for them.
Then he sang this song.
I had an errand there, gathering water-lilies,
green leaves and lilies white to please my pretty lady,
the last ere the years's end to keep them for the winter,
to flower her pretty feet till the snows are melted.
Each year at summer's end, I go to find them for her,
in a wide pool, deep and clear, far down Whithywindle;
there they open first in the spring and there linger latest.
By that pool long ago I found the River-daughter,
fair young Goldberry sitting in the rushes.
Sweet was her singing then, and her heart was beating."

I think those are beautiful!

Tiro nin Elbereth
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 31, 2003 10:33
quotes from Book 2 Chapter II: The Council of Elrond

{beware, this is my favourite chapter :love:}

And seated a little apart was a tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance.
He was cloaked and booted as if for a journey on horseback; and indeed though his garments were rich, and his cloak lined with fur, they were stained with long travel. He had a collar of silver in which a single white stone was set; his locks were shorn about his shoulders. On a baldric he wore a great horn tipped with silver that now was laid upon his knees. He gazed at Frodo and Bilbo with sudden wonder.
'Here,' said Elrond, turning to Gandalf, 'is Boromir, a man from the south. He arrived in the grey morning, and seeks for counsel.'

Can't you just picture him sitting there?

"The time of my thought is my own to spend."
~Dáin

There was a hush, and all turned their eyes on Frodo. He was shaken by a sudden shame and fear; and he felt a great reluctance to reveal the Ring, and a loathing of its touch. He wished he was far away.

The next one has always made me love Gollum :
'I caught him, Gollum. He was covered with green slime. He will never love me, I fear; for he bit me, and I was not gentle. Nothing more did I ever get from his mouth than the marks of his teeth.'
~Aragorn

One of my all time favourites, and good advice for any philosopher:
'White!' he sneered. 'It serves as a beginning. White cloth may be dyed. The white page can be overwritten; and the white light can be broken.'
'In which case it is no longer white,' said I. 'And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.'
~Saruman & Gandalf

'The Men of Gondor are valiant, and they will never sumbit; but they may be beaten down. Valour needs first strength, and then a weapon.'
~Boromir

'I have never known you give me pleasant advice before,' he said. 'As all your unpleasant advice has been good, I wonder if this advice is not bad.'
~Bilbo to Gandalf

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 09:30
From Book II, Chapter III: The Ring Goes South

I think both of these quotes by Gandalf say so much about their respective subjects. And again, it is Tolkien's mastery of words:

"Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there."

"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him, especially if the Ranger is Aragorn."
Figwit
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 08:57
Book 2 Chapter IV: A Journey in the Dark

'What are you going to do then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
'Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

alksirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2003 03:50
the song is a classic, it was in the film too.
'Ho ho ho
to the bottle i go
to heal my heart and drown my woe
the rain may fall and wind may blow
but there still be many miles to go
under a tall tree i will lie
and watch the clouds go drifting by'
Figwit
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 11:29
Book 2 Chapter VI: Lothlórien

'There lies the Mirrormere, deep Kheled-zâram!' said Gimli sadly. 'I remember that he said: "May you have joy of the sight! But we cannot linger there." Now long shall I journey ere I have joy again. It is I that must hasten way, and he that must remain.'

this one is priceless, and prove of Aragorn's sense of humour :

'Look my friends!' he called. 'Here's a pretty hobbit-skin to wrap an elven-princeling in! If it were known that hobbits had such hides, all the hunters of Middle-earth would be riding to the Shire.'
~ Aragorn upon finding Frodo's mithril vest

'They're Elves', sad Sam. 'Can't you hear their voices?'
'Yes they are Elves', said Legolas; 'and they say that you breathe so loud they could shoot you in the dark.' Sam hastily put his hand over his mouth.
Legolas ran lightly up, and followed slowly; behind came Sam trying not to breathe loudly.

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: October 08, 2003 07:59
A few quotes about Lothlórien:

"Perilous indeed," said Aragorn, "fair and peilous; but only evil need fear it, or those who bring some evil with them." This was to Boromir who did not want to enter the Golden Wood.

Some more of Tolkien's imagery where he doesn't actually describe what we are seeing, and yet you can see it and feel it:

"In winter here no heart could mourn for summer or spring."

And Sam, taking in the wonders of Lórien:

"I feel as if I was inside a song, if you take my meaning."
Alquatari
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 09:13
I am abit behind you in reading so all of my favorite quotes are from the Book One. I think, there are very important words for all human beings (not only for hobbits ) “not to strike without need”. The entire quote:
‘Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.’

Then, another favourite quote. Gandalf talks about hobbits:
Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.

Frodo quotes Bilbo:
It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,” he used to say. “You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.

[Edited on 15/10/2003 by Alquatari]
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 01:46
very nice quotes, Alquatari!
theniece
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 05:56
All time favourite from Book 1

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo at his party.

I took a while to break down the message and find out what it meant! Just imagine when he said it at his party...once and quick, I think they'll just stare into space...
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 11:11
All time favourite from Book 1

~ theniece

it's also a very deep and meaningful thing to say: that you don't have enough time in your life, not even when you get to be 111, to get to know everyone you'd like to know properly - and that because of this, people we could easily be friends with are overlooked and neglected
Nieninqe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2003 09:01
quotes I like:

tFotR, "a knife in the dark"

- "...for into darkness fell his star in Mordor where the shadows are" (The fall of Gil-Galad)

-"As Beeren looked into her eyes within the shadows of her hair, the trembling starlight of the skies he saw there mirrored shimmering. Tinúviel the elven-fair, immortal maiden elven-wise, about him cast her shadowy hair and arms like silver glimmering"
:cry:
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2003 07:53
I have always liked this song...

Snow-white! Snow-white! O Lady clear!
O Queen beyond the Western Seas!
O light to us that wander here
Amid the world of woven trees!

Gilthoniel! O Elbereth!
Clear are thy eyes and bright thy breath,
Snow-White! Snow-white! We sing to thee
In a far land beyond the sea.

O stars that in the Sunless Year
With shining hand by her were sown,
In windy fields now bright and clear
We see your silver blossom blown!

O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
We still remeber, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees,
Thy starlight on the Western Seas.

Here's another...

A Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
silivren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon

This quote always made me laugh and it is so true in many ways...

"Maybe. To sheep no doubt other sheep appear different," laughed Lindir. "Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study. We have other business."

That's all for now. I love this thread. :heart: There are so many good quotes just in these few chapters!
Figwit
Send Message
on: October 26, 2003 11:05
2.X. The Breaking Of the Fellowship

'Why are you so unfriendly?' said Boromir. 'I am a true man, neither thief nor tracker. I need your Ring: that you know now; but I give you my word that I do not desire to keep it. Would you not at least let me make trial of my plan? Lend me the Ring!'

During Frodo's stay on the High Chair:
He heard himself crying out: Never, never! Or was it Verily I come, I come to you? He could not tell.

'Of all the confounded nuisances you are the worst, Sam!'
~ Frodo

[Edited on 16/11/2003 by Figwit]
Alquatari
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2003 09:29
My favorite quote from book 3 chapter 2:
There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.
Rosie_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 03:14
2.X. The Breaking Of the Fellowship

My fave line from that chapter: Sam on going to Mordor.
I know that well enough, Mr. Frodo. Of course you are. And I'm coming with you.

And I am going to be bad and backtrack and give my all-time favorite line (besides "O blessed Meriadoc!" )

Gandalf to Pippin:

Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took. But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.

*grin* Gotta love it!
TopazDragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 02:21
There are so many great quotes but this is one of my favorite quotes:

the words of Ioreth

"The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known."

Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 10:34
I could have sworn that all my fav quotes would already be in here, but lucky me, they are not... that's great about LOTR: everybody seems to find different bits and pieces of the text so fascinating! As to my most beloved bits and pieces, here they come:

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

That night they heard no noises. But either in his dreams or out of them, he could not tell which, Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind: a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until it at last was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise.

Handsome is as handsome does, as we say in the Shire.

They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away, nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.

Maybe, when the One has gone, the Three will fail, and many
fair things will fade and be forgotten.

Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.

There must be someone with intelligence in the party.

Do you not see now wherefore your coming is to us as the foorstep of Doom? For if you fail, then we are laid bare to the enemy. Yet if you succeed, then our power is diminished, and Lothlórien will fade, and the tides of Time will sweep it away. We must depart into the West, or dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten.

Lórien was slipping backward, like a bright ship masted with enchanted trees, sailing on to forgotten shores, while they sat helpless upon the margin of the grey and leafless world.
Even as they gazed, the Silverlode passed out into the currents of the Great River, and their boats turned and began to speed southward. Soon the white form of the Lady was small and distant. She shone like a window of glass upon a far hill in the westering sun, or as a remote lake seen from a mountain: a crystal fallen in the lap of the land. Then it seemed to Frodo that she lifted her arms in a final farewell, and far but piercing-clear on the following wind came the sound of her voice singing. But now she sang in the ancient tongue of the Elves beyond the Sea, and he did not understand the words: fair was the music, but it did not comfort him.

As Frodo was borne towards them the great pillars rose like towers to meet him. Giants they seemed to him, vast grey figures silent but threatening. Then he saw that they were indeed shaped and fashioned: the craft and power of old had wrought upon them, and still they pre-served through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn. Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone: still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown. Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a for-gotten kingdom. Awe and fear fell upon Frodo, and the hobbit cowered down, shut-ting his eyes and not daring to look up as the boat drew near. Even Boromir bowed his head as the boats whirled by, as frail and fleeting as little leaves, under the enduring shadow of the sentinels of Númenor.

‘Dreams and old tales sping to life out of the grass. Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?’
‘A man may do both,’ said Aragorn. ‘For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!’

The woman turned and went slowly into the house. As she passed the doors she turned and looked back. Grave and thoughtful was her glance, as she looked on the king with cool pity in her eyes. Very fair was her face, and her long hair was like a river of gold. Slender and tall she was in her white robe girt with silver; but strong she seemed and stern as steel, a daughter of kings. Thus Aragorn for the first time in the full light of day beheld Éowyn, Lady of Rohan, and thought her fair, fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring that is not yet come to womanhood. And she now was suddenly aware of him: tall heir of kings, wise with many win-ters, greycloaked, hid-ing a power that yet she felt. For a moment as still as stone she stood, and turning swiftly, she was gone.

It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil at heart, or what lies or threats had led him on his long march from his home, and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace.

‘For myself,’ said Faramir, ‘I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the City of the Men of Númenor.’

'It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again.'
(...) 'Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!'

I think I could go on ranting like that for hours, but IMHO the last quote is a good and fitting one to stop...

[Edited on 29/4/2004 by Aervir]

[Edited on 29/4/2004 by Aervir]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email