Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Zoe
Lemba Chef
Send Message
Post Parents and LotR
on: August 22, 2003 06:53
So what do young people's parents think of Lord of the Rings?

I'm 25 but I still live at home (argh, endlessly attending college). So I've shared a lot of my LotR viewing with family. My parents come and sit around my computer (the only DVD player we have right now) and we watch extended LotR discs.

My father seems most interested in the interviews with Alan Lee and John Howe, as well as how they constructed things. My mother likes to watch anything with Bag End since she wants a Hobbit house in real life.

Some of my mom's comments are funny :

"Why didn't Alan Lee get his teeth fixed? They're all crooked."

"Why didn't Viggo get his teeth fixed? They're all crooked. He's so good looking and then he smiles with those teeth."

"You know, Elijah Wood has a huge space in the front of his teeth."

"See, that guy has lovely teeth." (Sean Bean)

(And no, I don't know what it is with all the teeth comments)

"How did that Elijah Wood get such big blue eyes?"

"And here's the handsome guy again." (Viggo)

"Good grief, just how old is Christopher Lee now?"

"Why is Rhy-Davies a Dwarf? He's way too big and tall!"

"He looks hardly like his character in real life." (Bloom)

"He makes such a good Hobbit. But that bug-eyed scene is scary." (Ian Holm)

"Liv Tyler has such lovely skin. And she's so lucky she doesn't look like her father."

"Why did Tolkien have the Hobbits eating all the time? And what's with the second breakfast?"

"That guy has an apple problem." (Dom)

"Those two guys just like to act like idiots, don't they? (Dom and Billy)

"Peter Jackson is a Hobbit, isn't he?"

Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Parents and LotR
on: August 22, 2003 07:00
Hi Zoe. I got a giggle out of some of your mom's comments. She's probably about my age as my daughter is 27. I see we both think Viggo is handsome.

My daughter isn't a LOTR nut like me, but she likes it and also thinks Viggo is not bad at all. Her two year old daughter is LOTR aware, in fact, maybe a bit too much - she can tell you who all the characters are and always wants to watch the film or look at the photos. Kinda like her gamma.
Salazar-Amberain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2003 07:10
Well lucky for me, I didn't have any problems with my parents. They all enjoy LoTR as much as me.

There once had been a time when we made comments about shining a laser pen that was shaped as a happy face on Gimly's head during one of his close-ups while we were at the theatre for FoTR. I laughed quite a bit when I thought about it but I never did it, oh well.
Nibintaur_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2003 08:34
Those comments where funny. My dad likes LOTR almost as much as I do I think, my mom just watches it becuase we do. It so funny watching her at the theater during TTT, she has a habit of falling asleep during films and every time she started dozing the was a fit scene or some loud noise that made her jerk in suprise. So, I'd say overall they are pretty cool about it.
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2003 12:49
We tried showing it do my dad once, he fell asleep before Rivendell He's still quite skeptical about it. It's pretty much "take it or leave it" for my Mom, but she does watch it sometimes and did take us to TTT. I think she's more "corrupted" than she let's on though Everytime Toby Maguire comes on tv she's like "Isn't he the guy on your rings movie? You know, the main hobbit?" No mom, that's Elijah Wood, Toby is Spiderman :dizzy: The other day she was watching a show on TV and goes "Oh Grace, come and see! This guy looks like the hobbit from the Rings movie" I ask which hobbit, and she rolls her eyes and goes "You know, the main hobbit!"

And just today she was looking at the calender going "This is in my handwriting, why in the world did I write "ring" on the 26th?!" She even agreed that they shouldn't be showing the movie in Walmart on the display TV's just yet, it's not nice! I was going to go finish watching it while she checked out and they'd restarted the thing! She said that wasn't a nice thing to do either. yep, think she's coming over to our side.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2003 05:41
My mom and dad care nothing about LotR... They even don't understand what I'm doing on the internet the whole day...
Really frustrating :angry:
~wild_shieldmaiden~
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 23, 2003 12:45
Well, I guess I'm pretty lucky, my whole family is obsessed with LOTR, though I am the fanacitc.
My mom and I love going over FOTR again and again and again and doing our own commentaries!
Celebroch
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2003 07:46
My dad was the person who got me the books in the first place
neither of my parents have read the books in the last 10 years, so they aren't quite sure of what's going on all the time...:dizzy:

~--^
EvenstarFairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 07:18
wow u guyz r lucky! no1 in mi family really enjoys LOTR as much as me. they all think i'm crazy & annoying 4 being so obsessed.
Este
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2003 10:26
My parents used to think lotr is a thing for little kids,so when I came home from watching ttt for the fourth time or so,my dad just laughed and said:˝You`re so childish,I bet you were by far the oldest in the cinema(by the way,I`m 15)!Now shush,there`s a great movie on tv!˝(that movie was Asterix&Obelix,if you really want to know)When I finally convinced them it wasn`t a childish thing,they wanted to watch it themselves to see why I`m so obsessed with it,but I didn`t let them,because I could just see where that would lead-they wouldn`t understand a thing,so they`d just make silly childish comments at every occasion,which they would proudly repeat for a few months.So in the end I had no choice but to hide the dvd from them
Frodos_One_True_Love
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2003 02:22
My sister and I are the LOTR fanatics in the house...but I've gotten my dad into it too...sort of. When my sister and I went to see TTT in the theater he wanted to see it too...but see the thing is he hasn't seen FOTR! He sat really far away from me for some reason, so I didn't get to explain anything to him. :dizzy: When we got out to the car he was all like "Holy crap...that was a really cool movie...if only I understood half of what was going on!" He said so many funny things...here's a few that I remember:

"What in the world was that big, red eye...and why was it on fire?"(refering to The Eye Of Sauron)

"Why did the little blue-eyed guy keep rolling his eyes in the back of his head...is there something really wrong with him or something?"

"Those walking, talking trees were pretty cool."

(after I said I couldn't wait to see the Return of the King) "Why are they making another one..didn't the good guys win..you know..at the end..they won the battle..oh nevermind..I'm confused"

*sigh* parents..gotta love 'em

[Edited on 8/28/2003 by Frodos_One_True_Love]
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2003 04:46
My parents like to make fun of me for watching it so much!
My dad likes to mock the people on there! Last night he was like Bagginsssssssss then he would scream it and then he would go fool took! then my mom is like isnt that the hobbit who was on that one show with that lady (dom) sometimes they crack me up when they do that other times they are like whatever go away
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2003 05:27
Hi everyone

You might want to share your books with your parents - they may be surprised at how much they like it too. (Could make getting the films on dvd easier)
Legolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 03:27
Everyone in my family loves the Lord of the Rings. Although my dad had some trouble "keeping up" the first time he saw it.
He fell asleep during the passing of the Argonath, and woke up just in time for the last "Oh, Sam". Some of the things he said during the movie were funny...

(When Elrond tells Gandalf he was at the Battle of the Last Alliance) "He doesn't look bad for 3,000"

(At the end, when the movie cuts off) "That's it? You need to wait for a year to see the rest?"

(My personal favorite. During the end credits, in all seriousness) "So that was a bad ring?"

Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 04:32
You can't beat my mum.

Here I am, desperately trying to decipher the Legolas-craze code,wondering at his crazy fans, and when I'm watching LOTR, a voice will burst out behind me-

"Orlando Bloom is so haaaandsome! Look at his jawline!" (While I'm trying to concentrate on Elijah Wood)

She'd make the craziest drooling fangirl look shy. And she's my mum.

But I'm glad she shares my love for the books, and both of us like Liv Tyler.
Glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 04:50
my dad, at the end of watching TTT:
"so wait, there are 4 hobbits? which one was in radio flyer?"
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 07:27
My mom has seen a part of FotR and TTT and she doesn't like it at all, but my dad loves them. He's a bit afraid to admit it, but it's so obvious that he loves LotR!
Evelyn_Hope
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 11:15
My dad never read the books so when I went to go see FotR with him he didn't understand why it stopped when the ring of power wasn't destroyed. So I said,

"Dad, that was only the first part of the trilogy. You get to see the end whe RotK comes out in two years." He swore then just dropped it. He also got confused whe we went to see TTT but I just ignored his remarks but he did love the Elves at Helms Deep part. My mom on the other hand has seen both and read all the books so she obviously loves LotR.
~*Arwen_Undómiel*~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2003 01:14
My parents both like the Lord of the Rings, especially my dad because he read the books back in the 70's when he was in college.
My mom likes The Two Towers movie better than The Fellowship of the Ring and she is particularly fond of Legolas and Haldir and is very impressed with how Legolas can "whip his arrows out."
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 01:45
Hey Zoe, your mum sounds so funny!!!
My mum refuses to watch it but the other day I managed to get my dad to watch TTT on DVD with me and he was fine except for the part when he callled Frodo - Fondo and told me that Gollum looked like Laura Beale from Eastenders!
steffie
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 09:48
My mom and dad love the movies and books! But not as much as I do.:love: But my dad is obsessed with Elrond! He always goes saying"It must be cast back into the firey casem from once it came" It started out being funny them slowly burned down to a little giggle. My mom just talks about it when I do, and I TRY to keep that to a minimum. ~Steffie~
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 12:48
it was weird last night my dad wanted to watch TTT by himself! He never does that! weird!! I think im going to have to hide it. He fell asleep during it so i turned it off for him and he said somethin to me from teh movie it made me laugh!! hahaha
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 09:38
lol, I'm prolly the only real LOTR nut in my house. After I saw FOTR, I wanted to get the EE, and my mom and dad were like, "why do you have to spend 30.00$ for only 15 extra min.!?" And just stuff like that. And everytime I put LOTR in my mom is like, "you're gonna watch that again!?"
And I also think Viggo is cute and could care less about his teeth. But I still worship Orlando.
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2003 04:51
My dad LOVES to make fun of me whenever I watch it. He'll pass by the room and go "Lord of the Rings again?!?" sure it was funny the first few times but after the 5th or so time, it became annoying.
Or he'll say "Fodon,! Fodon!" even though he knows Frodo's name, because he knows I'm obessed with Elijah/Frodo
When I get him to watch the movie with me he always comments on the scenery and how beautiful it is. I ask "Well didn't you like the movie? What about the story" "Yeah....it was good...." Well it's a start right?

My mom is realy great about not listening to all of talk and drooling about LOTR. We were watching it last night and I asked her wasn't Frodo cute? She said yes, then I let out a dreamy sigh, then she laughed.
GollumsGal
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 05:44
yeah, parets are weird. My dad used to like LOTR when he was a kid, and now he likes the movies, but I scare him when I watch the DVD. He's says, "You can't watch it again, there are so many other things to do." Like there is anything better than LOTR! (heehee) My mom just doesnt get it. I got her to read the books, and I'l say "What did you think about Tom Bombadil", or "I really like Eowyn", and she will just give me a funny look and leave. She doesnt remember anything.
Amonwiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 11:11
You People are REALLY lucky! My mom hates lotr, well, not HATE, but doesnt like it much, and my dad, well, lets say hes not into it that much, he says he is- but after hearing him call legolas Legowlass a few times, and Mordor Murderor, and saruman Sourmin,and Places like 'the place whrere gandalf fell of the wall thing' and Helmets deep' Its kinda like, right dad-Its ok!!!!! lolz. I am the only lotr fanatic in my family. Its not fair! they wont do ne-thing to do wit lotr! and when they say somethin like Destroy, or Shadow, i cant help but Say a line from lotr! then the just sigh and give me the ol' lotr spech, 'Nikki, im sick and tired of hearing about lotr, you cant keep talking about it! you take it too far sometimes! blah blah blah..' Ya know, Sigh. I really wish my parents were lotr fanatics like me, it must be cool! they wont even read the book!!!!!!! Jeez....!!!!!!!:cry::cry:
Iarlachien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 03:29
My dad likes watching Lord of the Rings for the action and the battle scenes, but he doesn't really care about the plot or characters. Then again, that's usually how he is with every movie.
My mom is exactly the opposite. She's a sensitive, kind-hearted, timid kind of person ((when it comes to movies, anyway... hehehe)) and gets disturbed very easily. For example, she walked out of Gangs of New York within the first ten minutes. She loves the characters like her own children sometimes, I think. ((Or acts like it, at any rate.)) While she HATES the battle scenes, my mom breaks down and cries every time she watches Lord of the Rings, especially during Sam's speech at the end of TTT.
We went out to eat after seeing TTT for the first time, and I asked her what she thought of it. She got all teary and said "There was just SO MUCH EVIL, how could anyone stand in the face of that? Poor Frodo! So pure of heart, but everything's against him!"
My dad, meanwhile, thinks Frodo's a wuss who needs to stop falling over. :ause:: He also thinks that Gollum should be shot. That's Dad for you.
What my parents *don't* understand is the obsessive way I read the LOTR books and related readings ((The Silly Million! ::fond hugs:) and how I'll sit quietly through the hours and hours of commentaries and Making Of's on the DVDs.
Um. Yeah.
Aurora_Juliet
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 12:03
I moved out a long time ago, so no connection. I doubt my mom even knows what LOTR is.
Master_Samwise_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 03:15
My parent's love the movies. They woth didn't want to go see them at first, because they were afraid it would be totally diferent as they had imagined it to be, when they read the books, but I convinced them with pictures and they love the movies, because it's mostly as they would have imagined it to be.
Malifur14
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 09:47
Jeeze, my parents haven't even seen the movies! They started to watch FOTR when I first got it, but they left after like the first 15 minutes. Every time I go to watch either of the movies, my mom is like, you're watching THAT movie again?? And I'm just like *sigh* yesss, mom! LOL I've watched FOTR a few times with my aunt...she likes it okay, I guess. I think she likes it more than she says she does. It's funny, because we have all these weird names for the characters. Like for Legolas, we call him "Fancy Hair". LOL I don't thnk that she'll want to watch TTT again, because she's scared of Gollum. LOL (She'll be happy when ROTK gets here!)
Elven_Redwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 08:33
My mom and dad are ok with it, but arn't really fans. My dad in paticular trys to keep me from watching the movies more than a couple of times a MONTH :gasp: :evil: How would I survive? I'm a college luckily, and have a couple of roomates who like it. My mom doesn't have much time to watch the movies, but she will when she can. Sighs... lucky people with fan parents....
~eveningstar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 09:16
My parents don't mind at all!
im 16 and they even let my little brothers watch The Fellowship.
Dad is kinda getting into it, ( he seems to like the whiz bang computer effects) but Mum dosn't even try to understand it
I must admit they do get a little irate if i try to watch it more then once a week
Amonwiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2003 04:49
like i said ealier, my parents hate lotr!!!! its really not fair!!! my dads kinda a ouch-potatoe, so i usually dont get much time 2 watch lotr, And when i do they always sigh and start mumbling words under their breath like oh jeez, what are we gonna do?' or 'again?! she needs help' and go leave. Im saving up 4 a dvd player and a tv for my room tho!!!! then i can watch it all the time!!! yay! u pplz who have lotr fan parents or at least FAMILY MEMBERS r lucky!!!!!
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 08:23
I am lucky! My Mom was the one who introduced me to them. You guys must have a hard time with your families. *shakes head* Well some people never get it.

~Haldir
Gael
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 08:13
Well, my parents are almost griefed, 'cause I can't stop talking about LotR. It's really annoying that they don't understand why I am so crazy about it...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email