Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
alduya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Parents and LotR
on: May 08, 2004 03:15
wow u guyz r lucky! no1 in mi family really enjoys LOTR as much as me. they all think i'm crazy & annoying 4 being so obsessed.

Yep, that's me.
alduya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 03:22
I got her to read the books, and I'l say "What did you think about Tom Bombadil", or "I really like Eowyn", and she will just give me a funny look and leave. She doesnt remember anything.

That's my dad!
tar_hazelton
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 09:05
Both my partents like LOTR, though my mother isn't willing to put the neccessary time into it to really understand it.

Every time we're watching TTT and Eomer shows up, mom says, "Is that Faramir?" and my dad, my sister and I tell her, "No, mother, that's Eomer, Eowyn's brother." It's a ritual we go through every time.

Except last time, she asked, "Is that Boromir?" I'm sure she'll pick up on it some time.
Gimli_and_Gollum
Superdwarf
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 01:01
My dad read the books, and so did my mom, but my mom can't seem to remember any of it. She is always asking who is who, getting names confused, so I've found it easier to print off pictures of them with there names on the back for flashcards, lol! My dad understands well, but was disapoinnted in the left out content until he saw tttee, then he was happy. They just get tired of the wait, ah, parents.
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 01:05
I think I've posted on something like this before, but not this one.
My mom tries. She understands most of it and only has a hard time with names (Eowyn and Arwen, Saruman and Sauron)
Dad, on the other hand, feel asleep during the hobbit scene in FOTR and totally doesn't get the characters. When he watched TTT he was like "There are four hobbits? I thought there were two". And he called Legolas "Leonardo DiCaprio" grrrr.
So basically I just relate everything to sean bean (the one actor he knows) Faramir: "That's Sean Bean's brother"
Denethor: "That's sean bean's father"
Aragorn: "That's Sean Bean's king who mom thinks is cute"
Legolas: "ORLANDO BLOOM!!! You know, guy from Pirates of the Caribbean?"
And yes there are 4 hobbits!
thegreendragonmaid
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 04:25
my parents cant get into it
Laurelin222
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2004 09:01
Both my partents like LOTR, though my mother isn't willing to put the neccessary time into it to really understand it.

Every time we're watching TTT and Eomer shows up, mom says, "Is that Faramir?" and my dad, my sister and I tell her, "No, mother, that's Eomer, Eowyn's brother." It's a ritual we go through every time.

Except last time, she asked, "Is that Boromir?" I'm sure she'll pick up on it some time.

My mother has the exact same problem! She defends herself by saying that they were all sons of kings, and then I point out that Denethor was a steward, and Eomer was Theoden's nephew. Which confused her considerably more. She also confused Eowyn with Galadriel, and asked me why she wasn't green and scary in the second movie, apparently she had nightmares...

My dad is completely indifferent to the movies and hasn't seen them once. It doesn't help that he walks past the screen at the most inoppurtune moments - the wizard fight - gollum singing that fish song - treebeard reciting poetry, etc. My mom has seen each movie once. She was mad that they killed Borimir "or whoever the handsome guy was with the red hair" in the first movie, so she was put off for a while. It took quite a bit of persuading, and a foot massage to get her to TTT. Oh what I do for LOTR.

[Edited on 29/5/2004 by Laurelin222]
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 04:17
My parents like it...not to the extent I though. (lol)
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2005 04:25
My mom loves the lotr movies almost as much as I do, but she has such a bad crush on Viggo. It can get quite annoying really to be watching the movie and every time Viggo comes on screen she says something like 'there's my darling' or sighs in a dreamy sort of way.

*lol*Do all moms like Viggo?
GrimaWormtongue
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 04:06
My parents don't comment all that much really. My dad loves it asmuch as me, but doesn't know about it as much as me, lol. My mum thinks it's boring and has never actually watched TTT or ROTK properly, although she did like FOTR. But whenever she sees Brad Dourif in it, she says, "He looks the same without the make-up..." lol

And my brothers are just like ---> "You're obsessed :rolleyes:"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 09, 2005 07:38
my mum is nearly as obsessed as I am... if I'm watching the movie, she's watching it with me. I'm actually reading the books to her right now... but we've watched all the documentaries over and over and she's always ready to watch them again. and she buys me LOTR stuff for my B-day instead of a lot of *pink* stuff like dear step-mom. my dad isnt really interested in LOTR at all. when I finally got him to watch TTT I had to explain everything to him and- get this- translate for gollum, because he couldn't understand a word! XD I think he considers my love for middle-earth strange.. but I don't live with him so I dont care. ^_^
Brethil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2005 04:02
I'm the only person in my family that loves lotr. my dad has seen it and thinks they're great films but 'doesn't have enough time to watch them.' and my mum won't watch she says she doesn't like them, HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THEM IF YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THEM?! both my brothers think there good but all my family say i like them too much. :love:
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 01, 2005 02:24
Well my parents like LOTR and will watch it when its on (sometimes) my Mum has since read the book, but my Dad says he doesn't need too as he can ask us (my sis and me) any questions. However he has read the hobbit but he didn't like it cause he said 'But its all about Biblo!', he is also of the belief that the house already has enough LOTR fans .
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2005 04:34
My parents hate LOTR. They keep refering it as Lord of the Dings. Though my bro has taken a fancy to it.
Although I made dad watch TTT, he kinda liked it, but kept thinking it was the Hobbit.

Also made mom watch part of the Fellowship... She didn't understand anything.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 09:43
I am nearly 32 and a mom of 3 boys. Even my parents annoy me about Lord of the Rings. My husband collects Star Wars and started me collecting Lord of the Rings. Last year for my birthday my sisters got me Lord of the Rings action figures and my mom threw a big fit about how she wasn't going to buy her adult daughter toys for her birthday. She finally gave in when my sisters talked her into it but says this year she is buying me bath towels. lol. It seems like whenever my parents come over I am watching it or reading a Tolkien book and they always make some comment like haven't you seen this enough already or don't you have it memorized yet. They think I am Tolkien crazy(which I am).
TinaHalfelven
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2005 11:31
My parents have decided I have an "unhealthy obsession". They tried to get me to kind of get over it but they eventually gave up. My room and my locker are like little Lord of the Rings shrine/temple things. I even watch Lord of the Rings while I do my homework. But I get good grades, so my parents don't bug me about it.:evil: I am making them watch Lord of the Rings and buy me all the books (plus the Silmarillion and soon I will begin the begging for the HoME books.) And my mom and I fight about Viggo and Orlando:love:.
Bookfaramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 10:32
My parents love LotR. They read me The Hobbit and LotR, when I was a child. Therefore, it is mainly my parents' fault that I became a total Tolkien fanatic. When the movies came out, I invited my parents to the cinema on Christmas 2001, 2002 and 2003.
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 02:18
My dad isn't crazy about LOTR like me, but he likes it. My mom is getting tired of it, though.
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 04:23
Well, my parents tolerate it, but after me watching two of three of the films each day for a couple of months that took my DVDs away. And now they're back. But more specifically...

Mom:

"So which one is Eowyn again?"

"Do you have to give us a lecture on the Two Towers EVERY time we watch it?"

[Yes, I do.]

Dad:

"When I was in college this was my dream film.......blah blah...you kids are so lucky to have....blah blah....in this day in age."

"They incorrectly portrayed [insertcharacternamehere] in this scene."

[Yeah, he is a big Lord of the Rings fan, like me, just a bit sick of the movies.]

"Sam is the real hero!"

[We are constantly fighting about this. Frodo is the hero. He sacerficed his mind and body to make sure the Ring was destroyed. Sam was loyal and helped loads and I doubt Frodo could have done it without him but....see there I go again.]

Of good measure...

Sister:

"Wow! He's hot!"

[This describes every main character guy played by someone under the age of 50 or 40 give or take...]

"Soo...when do we get to see Orlando Bloom again?"

So, basically when I watch Lord of the Rings with my family, I never get a moments peace because I'm either talking or someone else is...

[Edited on 21/2/2006 by Failië]
~Arwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2006 06:26
my step dad cant stand it, he thinks the movies suck..my mom thinks they're awesome, vissually stuning, tho the first one bored her to tears the first time she saw it, lol, but the second time she liked it, hehe, and the LOVES the third...completly drools over Aragorn and Boromir (who doesnt? lol)
overall..she likes it...she gave me the trilogy (not extended, they're not easy to get) for my birthday hehe
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2006 04:29
That's pretty cool. But around here, the extended editions are aviable at Walmart.....well, except the Return of the King, it's been out of stock for a while. But they also have all three in a package.
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 05:02
My mom likes The Two Towers movie better than The Fellowship of the Ring and she is particularly fond of Legolas and Haldir and is very impressed with how Legolas can "whip his arrows out."

::blink::

:naughty:
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2006 05:10
argh... My parents and I don't exactly see eye to eye when it comes to LotR.

January 14, 2003

Me: TTT is soooo great! It's mindblowing! ... ::I go off ranting::
Mom: ::smile smile:: ::nod nod::
Me: ... and I'm definately getting it when it comes out on dvd.
Mom: ::blink blink:: We were talking about a movie?
Me: :twitch:
IloveNenya
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 01:46
My parents aren't that into lotr but my uncle! he got me and my cousins obsessed!!!!!! Me and my cousins have lotr fests like once a month and we made up a new name for Viggo, Viggo Morgorgeous! i know, that is stupid but we can't help it! SO if i didn't have my cousins i would probably be the same as everybody else walking around the street not knowing what was going on! Also if it weren't for my cousins i wouldn't have read the book in third grade, or be obsessed with Orlando Bloom! -Thanks alot KELSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2006 01:12
My Mum actually read my sister and I LOTR when we were really little. I think she read it to us mainly because she was getting sick of endless picture books!
My Dad read the books years ago, and is fairly ambivalent towards them.
They both came with me and my sister to see LOTR, and I think they both quite like it (although a lot had to be explained, especially to my Dad).
Denethorsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2006 03:43
I am the mom in my house. My daughter is 23. I drive her up the wall about LOTR. Especially Grima. I get teased by my husband that he is a weenie. I am the LOTR fan, and yes, also Star Wars.
Earwing_Celebril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2006 04:28
My mom amd dad don't understand LOTR at all! Once, i tried to watch FOTR with my dad and he started to polish his shoes right in the middle. my mom just says that the whole thing is "Weird" and "not normal to watch". they also seem to want to convince me that, after watching all the DVDs many times, I should be bored?!? I only visit this site when they are gone to avoid the ignorant comments!
Miranduviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2006 02:49
Ah, well... it could always be worse, I guess! I don't live with Mom (thank the Valar!); I'm married (one husband, no kids, no pets) and I met my husband at a Star Trek convention (no fooling!) so we kinda have the 'genre-fan' mindset to begin with. We did a lot of our courting in the 90s to "Babylon 5" and "The X-Files."

I guess it's going to sound snarky, but I can kinda tell about how old some of the posters here are by how much flack their parents give them. When I was a teenaged Star Trek fan (before VCRs and 'Next-Gen), my mom used to complain, "When are you going to grow out of this phase?" My reply in college (when I was a Dr. Who fan) was, "One doesn't grow 'out' of it, one grows 'through' it." She never got it, and still doesn't.

However, that said, Mom's pretty cool about it, and she likes watching the Appendices when I bring the 3/EE box down when my hubby and I visit. He's just not that into LOTR, so if the weather's good, he'll read outdoors in daytime or go stargazing at night, or read upstairs (my 'old' room, now just my four-poster bed and bureau, and a nice comfy chair Mom got from my uncle when he re-did his place); My husband, Rich, really likes the comfy chair. Mom really likes Boromir (it's because Sean Bean played in the 'Sharpe' series), and Merry (because Dom was in the "Hetty Wainthrop" series)-- Mom watches a lot of Brit-TV on the local PBS stations. I got her an autographed photo of Peter Dickinson ("All Creatures...," "Dr. Who," "Campion," and "Mrs. Bradley Mysteries") when he came to a 'Who'-con a couple years ago. Yeah, they worked with real British veterinarians and yeah, they really did stick their arms-- well, wherever they stuck them...

I played Ian & Judi Dench's version of "Macbeth" for Mom-- we had to stop because it started thundering, and lightning, and we had a major thunderstorm-- right as Mac & Lady M were killing Duncan! Cue "Twilight Zone" theme here!

...back to our regularly scheduled broadcast...

The good-bad part of being a fanatical LOTR fan is that, for most of last year, I wasn't working; I was looking for a job and sewing LOTR costumes for my husband and myself, so I could play FOTR and Gandalf's bit in TTT as many times as I pleased... I've run FOTR *and* the Appendices probably more than a hundred times.

I was late in becoming fanatical to LOTR-- 'it' didn't happen to me until after ROTK came out and had left the cinemas (okay, so I'm behind the curve... but I last longer...)

And I'm definately grown up, no Elf-gushing for me (although I will admit that Orlando is a gorgeous boy; I'll leave the drooling to my friend Heather). I'm slightly kinkier-- I'm a wizard-seeker... the fastest route to power is not through Elves, but Istari :heart: :love: :hug: !!!

And as I've written elsewhere in this forum, I love-love-love Shakespeare!!! So there are good reasons to get "Richard III," "Macbeth" (I loaned it to my niece 'cus she's reading it in school, and her eyeballs nearly fell out during A.4,S.1-- the witches and Macbeth, and Ian when he looked really hunky with his shirt ripped off him...), and "Othello." Cate Blanchett did "Elizabeth" (and "Bandits" with Bruce & Billy-Bob, which was funnier). I'll get just about any half-way decent historical 'period' movie, just for the costuming, natch.

Collecting other movies by LOTR actors is a way of 'diffusing' one's focus; I don't think we need to say anything about "Pirates of the Carribean," do we? ("Kingdom of Heaven" is still on the short-list of DVDs to pick up-- it's got Liam Neeson, too--all good there!) Of course, hubby and I went to see "X-Men" because of Patrick Stewart, but Rich knew trouble was brewing when I asked him, "So, who's the other cute British guy, the one with the dorky helmet?" And do we really have to say anything about Christopher Lee (other than, he doesn't look good in mustaches and red eyes don't complement his skin tone?!)-- he did a Bond movie, he did Star Wars, he did LOTR--pretty sure he's gonna live forever. My husband introduced me to the joys of Hammer Horror flicks, which are corny, unintentionally campy, not really scary nowadays, but certainly fun as a popcorn movie when there no new CSI episodes.

Probably the biggest thing about me 'converting' to LOTR as a way of life is that I've increased my book-buying activities ten-fold, most of it is stuff by and about Tolkien, and tangental stuff to LOTR. Here's some I like a lot:

"The Science of Middle-Earth," by Henry Gee;
"Meditations on Middle-Earth," edited by Karen Haber, illustrations by John Howe (a great one of CL as Saruman on pg. xviii!);
"The Real Middle-Earth," by Brian Bates (good thoughts about pre-Christian beliefs in 'The Enchanted Earth' section);
"The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All," edited by Gregory Bassham & Eric Bronson;
...and my new favorite:
"Lembas for the Soul: How The Lord of the Rings Enriches Everyday Life," edited by Catherine Kohman.

And it's because of the essays in "Lembas" that I'm inspired to change my life and do what I've always dreamed of doing, designing quilts, playing with fabric, designing and sewing clothes, making historical and fantasy costumes.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 08:51
My dad got me hooked, and now I think he regretted it. Although he likes to watch the EE with me whenever I watch them. Some funny lines he inserts:

(during the Riders of Rohan scene): We ride north! They have a Casey's!
(During MOS scene): Don't they use toothpaste there?
(Helm's Deep when that Uruk raises his sword and screams): Now all he needs is for a lightening bolt to blow him off the face of the earth!

He's also giving me lots of ideas for a parody I might post.

My mom's okay about it, but every now and then she'll say, "Someday you'll grow out of this." She used to give me a hard time, but she's sort of accepted it. We (my brothers and I) went thru something like this with Star Wars, so she can tell when we'll slack off. She does think Legolas and Pippin are cute tho (I still don't get that), and she laughs at my parodies and funny comments during the movies. I think I'm affecting her!

My brothers like it too, but Harry and Warren (not their real names) aren't as obsessed as moi. Harry likes Star wars (I mean REALLY likes it), and Warren loves fishing. Ian (not his real name) absolutely s it by now, and forbids me to play it in his sight. Considering we only have one TV, that makes it difficult. Fortunately he's moved out, so I can obsess like crazy.

The funny thing about liking LotR is that whenever we see movies and familiar characters play in it, we're like "Hey! He played so-and-so on Lord of the Rings!" We still refer to Billy, Dom, Viggo, Orlando, Ian M, and the Seans by their characters names.
anais
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2006 09:57
Some of you are so lucky that you have anyone to share this passion with.I don't know anyone in real life who is this obsessed with Lotr as I am.I'm 21 and still in college so I'm living with my parents and my dad is the bookish type.He is a professor at the university here and he is still nagging me about growing up.Someone here said: "One doesn't grow out of it,one grows through it" I agree.But my dad thinks Lotr is a children's movie and when he laughs at me for watching again and again and again and again,it riuns it for me.So I shut my door and put on my headset on.My mom is very indiffderent to most of my activities except my love life,probably because it ins't very eventful.My brothers couldn't care less and my friends are like:OMG,how many times are you gonna watch it until you're bored with it?I don't think I will ever be bored with it.Because it teaches me things and gives me the courage to follow my heart and accept that this is me.With all my weird bits.I like who I am and Tolkien's world has taught me that more than anything else.
And I hope that in the near future my kids will grow as obsessed as I am.I'll make sure they do,anyway.
:love::love:
Melkortheconsumer
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 12:40
My parents don't really know much about Lotr. They know some of the names, but thats about it. My mom read the books many, many years ago, but my dad never has.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Melkortheconsumer]
mireandune
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 06:44
I'm the mom in our house.

I am also the true LotR affictionado here.

My kids (14 and 17) roll their eyes indulgiently when the whole subject comes up...I read them Tolkien when they were just little, and I'm afraid that, for the most part, they consider it mom's little obsession.

With any luck, their thinking will change with age.
Melkortheconsumer
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 04:45
I hope so too!!! It can be hard being the only Lotr fanatic in the house,lol!!!
GalenaNutumnent
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 02:02
My sister and I are the lotR freaks in my house. My parents don't quite get it.... Some of the things my mom has said while I was trying to explain the movies to her:

"But I thought they wanted the ring?"
Me: "No mom, they're trying to destroy it..."

"Who's that little frog guy?"
Me: "He's not a frog! that's Gollum."

I had to force her to take me to see TTT, and she said it was the longest movie she had to sit through. My dad is even worse! Ah, the sad truths of life... some people are LotR deprived...
Melkortheconsumer
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 05:12
It is nice that you have a sister who likes Lotr!!! My siblings loved it at first, but they lost interest.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email